As an author, i have seen a dreadful trend developing on the web, and that is copyright theft. Copyright law proves that the author of the work owns the right to copy it. It is against the law for anyone else to copy it, either for free or for pay. However, with the ease of digital copying at our hands, too many people have fallen prey to the false idea of easy money or easy fame by copying things works that they did not write and which are obviously protected by copyright law, and offering these stolen writings at their web sites, either for purchase or, more often, as come-ons to attract attention to their own services or wares.
Copyright theft for the purpose of attracting attention to one's person -- whether the material is offered for free or for sale, or is used to advertise other items for sale is against the law.
What is most disappointing is to see copyright theft used to attract attention among so-called "spiritual practitioners" and "hoodoo root doctors" and "occultists" and "pagan witches" and "Voodoo priests," and "Angel readers" and "goddess worshippers" and "tarot readers." These people, more than any others on Earth, who present themselves as men and women of insight, knowledge, compassion, devotion, giftedness, or wisdom, should NEVER lower themselves to the status of thieves and criminals -- yet they do so all the time, repeatedly, and egregiously.
Because my writings are extensive, practical, and useful to the spiritual and magical communities, and they have been available online in some cases since 1995, i have been the target and victim of many copyright thieves. Some steal from me to draw attention to themselves as wise or fun or interesting people. Some steal from me to sell heir own goods and services. I cannot tolerate being continually victimized by these thieves, and so i fight back, often harshly, and assert my rights as an author and a provider of services and goods who will do whatever is necessary to remove the illegal copies of my work that are hosted by thieves and criminals.
HOW YOU CAN HELP
I am very fortunate to work and live within a community of good friends, students, and professional colleagues who recognize my writing and who report on copyright thefts to me. Sometimes they report the thefts via email, sometimes at my Facebook pages, and sometimes in this forum. To all of you who have made reports in the interest of helping me to maintain control over the presentation of my writings, my thanks. You folks are true friends and supporters, and i am grateful to you every day. Never be afraId that reporting a copyright theft will "upset" me or get me "mad." Taking care of thieves is an unpleasant chore, but it is a necessary one, like dipping sheep or swamping out the refrigerator every now and then. Yucky ... but necessary. An i sure can use your help.
This portion of the Lucky Mojo Forum is intended to act as a clearing house for copyright theft issues. Please start a NEW THREAD for each named person. Yes, i said "named." I am not going to shield these thieves from public view -- especially since so many of them are posing as spiritual readers and rootworkers and psychics and teachers. We, the public, deserve to know the truth about those who claim to be guides, wise ones, teachers, and helpers. If they are thieves, YOU need to know the truth as much as i do.
When a case is opened, it is opened in PUBLIC. When it is resolved, it is resolved in PUBLIC.
HOW THIS SITE WORKS
As you will see, my approach to copyright thieves is conducted in stepped and gradual levels of force.
1) A report is published here. Some of these reports will (i hope) be made by my friends, customers, students, and colleagues Some will be made by me. Some will bear my name but will be copied from email or Facebook notices that have been sent to me by others. In some cases, there will be no preliminary report, but the thread will commence with Step 2.
2) If the site infringing site provides a name or email contact and/or if a whois lookup assists in identifying the person who controls the web site that is histing the theft, an email is sent to the copyright thief requesting that the material be removed. If the whois record also provides a telephone number or street address, the thief is sent a duplicate letter by postal mail and may also receive a telephone call. The full text of this letter, including all known names, web sites, and email addresses associated with the thief, is posted here.
3) If there is no response to the email or postal mail or telephone call, the thief's isp (internet service provider) is contacted and/or a DMCA takedown notice is filed.
4) If there is no response to the DMCA takedown notice (and there may not be, if the isp is in a nation that does not respect US copyright laws or if the thief is hosted on a private server or at a rogue isp), then the thief's name will be repeatedly advertised as a thief in an attempt to destroy his or her ability to attract attention or sell goods or services by use of my writings.
5) In the case of extremely extensive or persistent theft, i am prepared to sue both the thief and the isp that is assisting the thief.
6) I bear no long-term grudges. If a person is caught stealing and takes the material down, his or her thread will be LOCKED and the issue will be over.
7) I work for the redemption of sinners and the reconciliation of all sincere people of good will. If a person is caught stealing, takes the material down, apologizes, and shows a sincere change of heart, the thread will be LOCKED and RETITLED so that his or her name is no longer going to come up in a google search attached to the phrase "copyright thief."