Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 01, 2010 6:53 pm

I was specifically taught to trim my wicks.

In fact, i was taught to trim my wicks by reference to the old gospel song, "Keep Your Lamp Trimmed and Burning."

Over the years this song has been recorded by Blind Willie Johnson, Mississippi Fred McDowell, Reverend Gary Davis, and many others -- way up to the present time.

Listen to it here, beautifully performed by a youtuber named "JR" (StillJreming) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxTLHpFFJs4

Keep your lamp trimmed and burning
See what my Lord has done

That's good advice, i think.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:33 pm

Would you recommend trimming all the candles or specific ones? For example if you are burning a 4" in straight through, do you go in an trim it while its burning?
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Apr 01, 2010 7:36 pm

I should have been more specific - I was referring specifically to glass-encased vigil lights. I pretty much always trim them when cleansing them in preparation for fixing them.

In the case of tapers, altar candles, chime, tealights, etc, I only trim if the wicks are excessively long.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Agreed, Devi -- we don't trim our wicks just to be trimming them. We trim wicks that are over-long or that are burning a "knot," or are in other ways in need of trimming.
catherine yronwode

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Apr 01, 2010 11:27 pm

Gotcha. Thanks for the clarification. I was taught to let it burn without trimming and to interpret knots, the wick breaking off and creating separate flames etc, so I'm behind on my wick trimming education. While I trim the wicks on vigils, maybe I should start trimming when it calls for it. Seems more attentive.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:30 am

ConjureMan, would you mind sharing (if you are able) the basics of what you were taught about knots and such? It's always fantastic to expand one's understanding on these matters by hearing various practitioner's perspectives. :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:57 am

Here is the deal as i teach it:

If you are passively burning a candle, then let the knots stay, watch the twin flames, watch the wax run, watch the glass break and spill wax all over, and so forth. In my shop we call these passively burned "test candles" -- that is, candles burned for the sole purpose of divination by wax or ceromancy.

If you want to WORK the situation through candle magic and you do not like the way that the candle is going, you do not have to sit back and watch it go nuts with knots, runny wax, or out-of-control flames. Get the message the candle gives -- and then rectify the unfortunate candle signs as you work. This is YOUR WORK, and you owe it to yourself and/or your client to make the outcome of the candle spell as good as possible.
catherine yronwode

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 11:18 am

Thank you for that insight Miss Cat.

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 12:46 pm

Thanks so much for all the feed back. I guess it goes to show how important different viewpoints are. I will start trimming vigils now, I always was so happy to see a really long wick thinking the candle had a long life line. It made sense to me. However I am always open to new information.
Who said you can't teach a old dog a new "trick" :)

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 1:05 pm

Hi Devi, Just out of curiousity. If a candle is dressed & you trim the wick and use it to save a drowning candle. Does the wick carry over any magic DNA for lack of a better term. I mean effect the candle you put it in. I'm not being nit picky just wondered if you can get cross cantamination in Spells? If there is such a thing. I like the idea about reusing the wick if needed. Am I being to careful ?
Thank you. :?:

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 6:57 pm

The wicks are trimmed before the candle is dressed.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:48 pm

Thanks for the info, Miss cat.

My teacher only trimmed vigil candles. For other candle work she didn't trim. For example if we were burning a 6" candle or a 4" and it would twist up into a snake like formation she took it as a sign that things were progressing, but that caution should be taken (she had a strong relationship with snakes so seeing the wick in such a manner was not negative for her). If on the other hand the looked like it was spiraling then she took it as a sign that the prayer was on its way. If the wick began to twist into a little ball, she recognized that as an obstacle. She didn't trim it, but instead would have a Road Opener or what she called a "blockbuster" candle ready. She'd add prayers to open the paths and clear out the blockage. Then if the knot fell down and created a second flame that supported the first to make a larger flame, she saw this as the blockbuster/ Road Opening lending a helping hand and overcoming the obstacle. If the knot didn't fall down and continued twisting then she'd finish the work do a divination and approach it from a different angle.

She came from a long family of conjurers and she certainly wouldn't have seen what she did as "passive" in any way :-).

I guess it's one of those wonderful things about conjure-that people approach it from different ways.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Apr 02, 2010 7:52 pm

Thanks for that great info ConjureMan.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:50 pm

ConjureMan, we are talking about ENTIRELY different things here. I am sorry that you took what i wrote in such a confusing way. I will try to clarify.

A candle that burns with a knot or breaks into two flames can be used for divination, but as a reader, i already know the divination score, and once i see that, i need to fix it, because what i want is results. I will trim, groom, and work the candle to get the results i want. Many people don't -- God bless them. But then they have to light more candles, until they get one to burn right. For me, it's like raising animals -- if one falls sick, i don't just buy a second one to replace it. I nurse it back to health.

When vigil candles burn with a knot, they will always end up smoking the glass. It is passive to let that happen if you can avoid it. Why settle for a bad divination sign and set a second light if you can work on the candle and correct it as it burns?

In terms of trimming wicks on free-standing candles, i was responding to Devi, and she understood me -- the wicks are trimmed BEFORE lighting, if necessary. Some candles have very long wicks -- maybe you have not had the experience of seeing these, but i have seen figural candles with up to 2" of free wick. I am not talking here about factory offertory candles, but figurals and such that are made by hand. Attempting to light a 2" long wick is just a waste of time -- it cannot draw the wax up it. You have to trim it first.
catherine yronwode

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Ah, I understand now. The confusion was on my part, thank you cat.

The knot divination was merely an explaination of how I was taught to interpret them in response to Devi's request.

Thank you for the clarification. I believe we are on the same page. I apply the same thing in my practice as you've outlined, I believe I was merely misunderstanding you.

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Fri Apr 02, 2010 10:24 pm

Thanks Cat , I like your comparison as to the candle being like a pet. A little nurturing when needed would only make our bond stronger. I will no longer feel that I am interfering with the spell, In fact I would be ensuring that the spell would be successful. I have had my share of sick candles. Thanks again, Even tho I have always felt I was empowering the spell I didn't quite connect the dots. I will see things in a different light. :D

tnish

Unread post by tnish » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:56 am

Oh ok thank so much. I was referring to Lucky Mojo candles described as blessed and dressed beforehand. Thanks Again

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Apr 05, 2010 11:40 am

I wouldn't add additional oils.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Funkydory

Unread post by Funkydory » Sun Apr 11, 2010 3:57 pm

I just got my LM oils and incense powders and I am so excited. I was wondering what is the best way to dress a 7 day glass encased candle using LM oils. Any suggestion, comments, or info on how you personally dress candles would greatly appreciated.... Thank you!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:10 pm

I carve the name of the target &/or any symbols of the work into the top using an inscribing tool. Then I rub 2 or 3 drops into the top while praying my intents. You can also add a sprinkle of associated herbs if you wish. Then I set the candle working.

You can then add a petition or picture underneath the candle as well if you like, or depending on the work at hand.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 11, 2010 4:16 pm

Information on how to dress candles can be found here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 11, 2010 8:32 pm

It's exactly the same as bathing -- down from head to feet to remove things, up from feet to head to draw things. The standing candle is just like a standing person in this regard.
catherine yronwode

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Sun Apr 11, 2010 9:31 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:It's exactly the same as bathing -- down from head to feet to remove things, up from feet to head to draw things. The standing candle is just like a standing person in this regard.
Finally, a description that makes sense to me! (I always got hung up on the away/towards part.) Got it at last.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Apr 11, 2010 10:43 pm

How I remember this is that negativity enters and leaves through the feet. So when I am trying to get something out of me I do as cat stated. But some people dress candle in various ways. It all depends on what works for you, but I like the method that is previously mentioned.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Beach

Unread post by Beach » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:26 am

Hi, I have several vigil candles that I have going at once. Does it matter how I have them placed on my alter? Meaning, should I have them all lined up in a straight line? Does it matter if I have one behind other ones? Will the ones in the back "feel like" they are of lesser importance? Should I use some sort of configuration like that 5 point pattern when disposing of spell materials? So basically, does it matter how I have them all placed?

thanks....

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Sun Apr 25, 2010 9:30 am

Traditionally, candle altars are separated by type of work. Personally, I place vigils toward the back of the altar to burn, and do more interactive work in front of them. Hope that helps.
HRCC Student #1339

suzyparker

Unread post by suzyparker » Mon Apr 26, 2010 12:44 pm

Is this for one "job" or are you doing multiple candles for various work?

Beach

Unread post by Beach » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:54 pm

they're all for one job. well, I also lit a candle for a friend but it was more of a gesture than trying to accomplish serious work....

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Apr 26, 2010 7:09 pm

I keep my vigil/novea candles in another room thats rather fire proof ( all brick) and it works well for me, just make sure to pay attention and to pray over it on the reg. when i was younger and with family i hid them away too and had no issues so my experience is it does not matter. the only time i put them in an order is if im burning them for the same purpose like rec candle with a love candle and a stay with me candle or something like that. good luck!
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Sat May 01, 2010 12:33 am

Hi, I completed overdressed a vigil candle and the poor little flame is barely holding on. I've tried pouring out some wax and pushing away the oil and herbs but the teeny tiny flame looks like it's gasping for air. Then I threw a cardamon pod in there because I knew it was quite flammable (and love drawing - at least there was some additional intention behind the choice) and I thought it would help burn out some of the mess I created. But the pod snuffed out the wick and I had to fish out the pod and relight the candle. Then I took a leftover wick from another candle and put it in there hoping the two wicks together would burn a little hotter to help that little-engine-that-could. Of course I accidentally snuffed out the candle again in an attempt to get that in there. And then I snuffed it out again when I tried to remove some of the mess. It's lit now but it's crying for help.

Bottom line, I've made a mess. Do I throw this candle out and start over? I'm thinking I should probably let it burn but will it still have any effect? or have I just fiddled around with it too much and "contaminated" it. even if I let it burn, do I get another candle and start over? (It's a Come To Me candle if that makes any difference.)

thank you....

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat May 01, 2010 12:52 am

Personally, I would not have taken a wick from another candle, and put it with this candle. Hopefully the wick was for the same purpose and intention as this candle...if not it could possibly interfere with this candle. Furthermore, you drowned the candle in too many herbs and such so personally, I would start over.

You do not need to overload the candle with herbs, or use the whole bottle of oils or packet of powders. Less goes a long way. For vigil lights and any kind of candle you want to make sure that you cleanse the candle first. I do so with florida wash or ammonia. Other people do it with urine or other ways. But that is up to you. Then you need to poke holes into the wax with a hot nail or I use screw driver (cleansed of course) and make holes which you can make larger ones, and put my ingredients in the holes.

Anyways lesson learned. Start over and relax on the ingredients.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sat May 01, 2010 1:24 pm

I tend to burn tapers rather than vigil lights (glass candles) for precisely this reason. Personally, I think it might be possible to rescue this candle. Whether or not you do that or choose to start over, a few tips about vigil lights:
  • Vigil lights, even when bare naked, often start slow and wimpy. Leave plenty of space around the wick and be patient for the first day or so.
  • Listen to starsinthesky7. "Less is more" really does mean LESS. Seriously, a few grains of cinnamon or a couple of leaves of rosemary is enough for a vigil light. Total herbage should be no more than ONE pinch. Strew it around so the wick has plenty of room to breathe (you may know this; I'm playing to readers who might be new to magic :))
  • After the first day (or even the first few hours), you may find that the tiny flame is drowning in a puddle of wax. DON'T pour it off. Take something long and pointy -- screwdriver, icepick, chopstick -- and sink some holes at the edges of the wax puddle. It'll drain off and leave some room for your flame to grow. You may have to do this more than once until the flame stabilizes.
  • Watch out for crooked wicks. This is the reason why candles explode, glass breaks, and labels scorch or catch fire. If your wick is off-center -- as they frequently are these days -- you can nudge it back toward the center by sticking a butterknife into the warmed wax and prying it toward the center. Yes, that is "manipulating events" -- and isn't what why you lit that candle? :)
Good luck and good magic,

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Sat May 01, 2010 1:54 pm

hahaha. if a pinch is all I need I think I have enough material in there for ten candles more! thanks for the tips. You contributors have TONS of patience with the never ending flow of us new people. so thank you.

wraithklewn
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by wraithklewn » Fri May 14, 2010 12:08 am

i should have asked this question quite some time ago... i had vigils burned for me a few weeks ago and i should have backed them up. but see the thing is some of the things i had done i dont currently have the oils for.

what is one to do in that kind of situation? i have candles but for oils i have nothing for what the vigils were. is it possible to use say ..olive oil to dress a candle and a petition of the same wording as for the vigil? or a petition of a "complimenting" nature.. such as to say " provide aid to such and such purpose/desire" this confuses me a bit.

i definitely do not want to make this kind of mistake in the future. i also do not doubt the abilities of any who light the vigils for us.
HRCC Graduate # 1684G
Thank you St. Michael for your fierce protection

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Fri May 14, 2010 6:30 am

You can use olive oil as sort of an "all-purpose in a pinch". It's tendencies are more toward the peaceful side of work, being used in holy oil in the bible. A common all-purpose candle oil is Special Oil #20, which many workers have on hand all the time. Keep in mind you also don't have to back up vigils with more candles; you can use powders, herbs, dollies, whatever.
HRCC Student #1339

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri May 14, 2010 2:35 pm

Backing up the work can be seen either from the perspective of a worker backing up your work (e.g. you take the lead, work with dolls or hands-on powders or such, and the worker lights a candle for you), or vice versa -- the worker is taking the ead in the work and you are backing it up with baths, prayers, or a candle.

Special Oil #20 is your most economical choice for an all-purpose oil.
catherine yronwode

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri May 14, 2010 2:50 pm

And Special Oil #20 smells awesome! I absolutely love it. :D

barat

Unread post by barat » Wed May 19, 2010 7:42 am

I love to burn novena candle incessantly on my altar.Can somebody teach me how to dress my candles so my prayers will be more effective?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed May 19, 2010 7:51 am

Search the forum - how to dress candles has been discussed many times before.

If you want personal mentoring, then find an AIRR member that offers magical coaching and hire them to teach you.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 19, 2010 8:17 am

The search box is located in the upper right hand side of the forum page...it works very well! I am actually suprised how much better this search function is than on many other forums I have been a member of in the past!

Good Luck!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed May 19, 2010 12:07 pm

Ill give you are little insight

If you are manipulating a person to DRAW something to you, take the oil and move from the base of the candle to the wick, rotating the candle until it is completely covered in oil.

use the opposite to banish or remove...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 19, 2010 9:32 pm

jwmcclin wrote:Ill give you are little insight

If you are manipulating a person to DRAW something to you, take the oil and move from the base of the candle to the wick, rotating the candle until it is completely covered in oil.

use the opposite to banish or remove...
I thought a novena was a 7-9 day candle encased in glass...would this advice still apply or am I way off?

I suggest the OP listen to the Hoodoo Rootwork Conjure Power Hour podcast dealing with candle work and dressing candles. All parties have their own way, but all discuss dressing the novena candles in detail...a powerful 'cast indeed!

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Flamethrower
HRCC Student

Unread post by Flamethrower » Wed May 19, 2010 9:50 pm

barat wrote:I love to burn novena candle incessantly on my altar.Can somebody teach me how to dress my candles so my prayers will be more effective?
recipes-for-dressing-vigil-candles-t419.html#p1989

Both the Candles and the Anointing Oils forums have loads of info, too.

Enjoy!

MightyScorpio

Unread post by MightyScorpio » Wed May 19, 2010 11:15 pm

This is just my way that has worked well for me when working with glass encased candles...I rub the oil clockwise around the candle until I get to the wick If I want to draw something to me and counter clockwise if I want to banish something or send someone away from me. :D

barat

Unread post by barat » Fri May 21, 2010 2:16 pm

thank you for all your reply

rjwcim

Unread post by rjwcim » Fri May 21, 2010 3:46 pm

There are numerous ways to dress candles, some would rub oil from the base to the top to draw, and top to base to banish, or run from the mid line outwards to draw and the opposite to banish. As for the Glass in case it also varies I have seen people poke a certain number of holes at the top, some make the holes deep to the bottom and others only part of the way, and they sprinkle herbs and oils over the holes they may even turn the candle in a certain direction when they do this clockwise to draw, counterclockwise to banish.

Ra'Shay

merrygerry

Unread post by merrygerry » Mon Jun 07, 2010 9:04 am

A few weeks ago I received my first dressed vigil candle from LM - of course from mailing, many of the herbs (and what looked like glitter?) were around the lip of the jar and I just lit it that way, didn't move anything down into the candle and I'm wondering if maybe I should've pushed them down into the glass rather than letting them sit around the lip - they pretty much remained in place through the entire burn. I was curious if it would be more appropriate for them to have been sitting on the candle when it was lit rather than on the container. In trying to think it through, it sort of seems like they need to be touching the wax to have the intended benefit, but I'm not sure if that's a correct assessment or not and welcome some informed insights on that question.

Also, I applied oils to the outside of the glass and am now wondering if the oils should've been applied to the top of the candle? Or maybe to both the outside of the container and the top of the candle?

I'm expecting another order in the next few days and want to make sure I'm handling the dressed candles in the way that they are intended and in a way that benefits the intentions of the work.

Would appreciate advice from those who have more experience - thanks!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jun 07, 2010 12:14 pm

Yes, the herbs and oils are meant to sit on/in the candle as it burns. I wouldn't worry about it too much, though. Just gently knock them back in next time before lighting.

If the candle is already dressed there is NO need to add additional herbs and oils. Too much is not better, and it can mess with your burn. Just pray over a dressed candle and then light it. If you're dressing a candle, the oil goes onto the candle, though some practitioners may sometimes also apply some oil to the glass if it's appropriate for the case.

starlitegirl

Unread post by starlitegirl » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:24 pm

I've read through the links to the various spells I have been considering, and it seems they all employ psalms and praying to the Lord. However, I don't believe in the Lord. I believe in the existence of one, but I have an aversion to praying to one because I don't believe he'll listen or answer or help in anyway. How do I pray over candles when I believe what I do and feel an aversion toward this God?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Jun 08, 2010 6:48 pm

Well, you can just concentrate on your intent very strongly and just pray it out to the universe in general if you don't believe in a Divinity that listens and hears, or just ask the spirit of the herbs/oils/etc to aid you. You can get good results that way.

Hoodoo is a Christian form of folk-magic, though. When I first began practicing conjure it I worked primarily with just the spirit of the herbs/oils/etc because of where I was in my spirituality at the time and because I was processesing past issues and experiences. Eventually I was able to embrace esoteric and folk Christianity, and so began working conjure in the traditional way - invoking the aid of God. I have to tell you that my level of results went up dramatically when I began using the system as it was intended. I had success before, but it was all ratcheted up to a whole new level once I was able to really accept and use the system in it's traditional context.

It may help you to studying folk Christianity and esoteric Christianity in order to get a different perspective on the tradition than you may be used to. It may help you appreciate the whole of conjure, rather than just then parts of it.

You may also wish to start serving your ancestral spirits and developing a relationship with them, as they can also really help empower your conjure further. Hoodoo is a spirit-working tradition, so you will sort of need to believe in the indwelling spirit and spirits throughout creation if you want to work this particular system successfully. If that is troublesome for you, then conjure is probably not the system of magic for you.

If you would like some book suggestions on esoteric Christianity or spirit work, feel free to PM me.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 3:54 pm

Sorry to revive an old thread, but what was posted here really didn't answer a question I have and hopefully someone else might have some insight. I get the anointing bottom to top to draw something to you, and top to bottom to dispel or drive something away from you. However, my question is this, if I'm burning a candle on a vinegar jar for example, do I anoint top to bottom because I'm trying to drive two people away from one another? And what if I'm lighting candles with Commanding Oil to command my husband to go on the deployments with his crew? Top to bottom because I want him to go away from where he is, or bottom to top because I want him to actually fulfill his orders and his job?
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:32 pm

You didn't understand the answer i gave -- which is that there are MANY ways to dress a candle, NOT just top-to-bottom or bottom-to-top.

They can be dressed up one side and down the other. with two oils (side by side or top and bottom), or by dripping oil into the palm, closing the fingers around the candle, and spinning the candle in the palm or working it up and down repeatedly.

In other words, you are asking for a reply is not a single answer!
catherine yronwode

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 4:54 pm

So in other words, just go with my intuition and 'gut feeling'?
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:00 pm

No, no, that's not what i said!

I want you to learn and study the traditions of conjure, not just to make things up as you go along. :-)

Think! To make a break up jar, you cut the name papers in half to separate them -- so you want to separate the oil too.

Put oil on the tips of all your fingers and both your thumbs. With a pinching movement, hold the candle by the middle, and draw your fingers and thumbs APART, to the opposiste ends of the candle.

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jun 20, 2010 5:06 pm

Thank you, Miss Cat. I understand on the vinegar jar candles now. :) My apologies for being a bit dense tonight. However, I'm still unclear on something like the Commanding situation I mentioned. Top to bottom to draw the command down to the petition and the pictures under it, or bottom to top to send the command from me to the person/people I want to command?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:09 pm

Again, it need not always be top to bottom or bottom to top. Read some of the good old traditional books on candle dressing. Try "magetizing" a candle as described by Louis de Claremont. Right above, in this very thread, i wrote:
A hugely influential book on candle and herb magic in hoodoo is the 1936 "Legends of Incense, Herb, an Oil Magic" by Louis de Claremont.

De Claremont recommended burning each candle in a triangle and energetically "magnetizing" each candle with an appropriate oil by stroking halfway up on one side and halfway down on the other.

Please understand that you are asking me to tell you something i cannot and will not tell you -- the "one true way" you seek does not exist. I am trying to teach you to study our traditions and work with a variety of teachings within these traditions.

We are dealing with a system of magic that has been practiced by millions of people. There is no "one way" but there are less than a dozen recommended ways.

Study, try some variations, see what suits you best.

Do not think of hoodoo as a recipe you have to bake right now for tonight's dinner -- because that's not it. Think of it as a culinary course that will give you the ability to cook at need with almost any ingredients on hand -- 'cause that's more like what it is -- a system, not a recipe.
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jun 20, 2010 10:19 pm

flamethrower asked:
Does anyone write their intentions and/or names with a nail on the candles for honey jars? From base to wick or top to bottom?
I use a needle on small candles rather than a nail.

Since honey jars are directed at people rather than the universe (unlike a job-getting or luck-changing candle, which might be directed at the universe), i write names. I was taught to write them spiral-wise, like the stripes on a barber pole. I have done them in barber-pole spirals going both ways, to make them cross like May pole ribbons. I have written many names on one candle.

On break-up candles, i write each name on one side of the candle -- and one runs up while the other runs down, both in straight lines.

On reversing candles, the enemy name is writen in reverse, the client is written forward, and the two names face away from one another.

On seven knob candles i put one intention on each knob or the same intention 7 times.

There are dozens more of these little tricks. Take my course and you'll learn a whole lot more of them.
catherine yronwode

merrygerry

Unread post by merrygerry » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:02 am

Hi,

This morning I lit two LM fixed vigil candles - the wicks seemed really long so I cut them to about an inch, now both of them have gone out - I think maybe I cut the wick too short? Should I have just lit the wick as it was and figured it would burn to the length it needed to be?

And, should I scoop some of the wax out and re-light? I don't want to "un-fix" them but would like to figure out a remedy and go ahead and burn them. If I scoop out the wax, I'm assuming I should try to put any herbs and glitter back into the candle holder?

I've done two previous fixed vigils and in thinking about it, I thinkI just lit the long wick - both of them burned fine so am thinking maybe it was the trimming that was the problem.

Thanks for any advice!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:21 am

I trim the wicks on vigils, but to about 1.5". If you can get it to relight, then get something long and pokey, and poke holes down into the wax - that will help the melted wax pour down into them, keeping it from drowning. You may need to repeat this frequently until the candle is back in it's groove.

If that doesn't work, you may need to pour some wax off. What I do when I need to do that is take a tealight and pull the wick out of it (some tealights this is easier than others), then put the wick back into the center of the tin, and the pour the wax into that, effectively making a smaller candle which I can then light. That way you don't lose any of the candle from trying to save it.

merrygerry

Unread post by merrygerry » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:48 am

OMG, Devi, you're a genius! That worked perfectly on both scores - used a chubby kebab skewer to poke holes AND poured off the wax - and making a tealight worked perfectly, the wick was attached to a little metal base, just pulled the candle up, stuck the base w/ the wick back into the holder and poured the wax w/ the herbs and glitter into it and now have a mini "Return to Me" vigil - thank you SO much - never would've thought of either of those things in a million years - would've reheated the wax and strained it to get the herbs out probably making a huge mess of a strainer in the process. Am amazed and totally appreciative - thank you!

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”