• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

It is currently Thu Nov 23, 2017 11:29 pm

Herbs Oils Lights and Prayers for Dying and Death

Herbs Oils Lights and Prayers for Dying and Death

Unread postby 53rdspirit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:22 pm

I am writing for suggestions on what items (oils, etc.) I would need to set a light for someone who is within days or even hours of dying from a terminal condition.

My first thoughts were a white candle anointed with spikenard oil in their name; however, I thought what else is out there that people use? Somehow I didn't feel incense was called for as I just felt a quiet burning of a single candle would suffice.

What do people here think? I will keep these ideas for use at another time. Thank you.

Kris
53rdspirit

Re: Setting a Light for Dying and Death

Unread postby Miss Bri » Sat Apr 04, 2009 4:41 pm

I tend to tailor this kind of work for the individual who is near passing. If they are of a certain heritage then I will use a formula that is representative of that heritage, like Indian Spirit Guide for Native Americans. I also like to use 7-11 Holy Oil for these types of situations. If they are Catholic, all Saints oil may be appropriate. If they are Protestant, one of the Jesus formulas would work well.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Literarylioness » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:13 pm

I would burn a white candle with Peaceful Home, because you want his or her spirit to find a restful place. I would also do an altar in honor of that person with a goblet of water and fresh flowers.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:15 pm

If the person is a Catholic, it is customary, among Sicilians at least, to light a candle to Saint Joseph for a good and peaceful death and to have the dying person wear a scapular of Our Lady of Mount Carmel, which will shorten his or her stay in Purgatory.

I am moving this topic to the Candles area of the forum, as the question is about candles.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby 53rdspirit » Sat Apr 04, 2009 6:20 pm

More great ideas. Thank you, everyone --this is very helpful. Thanks, Cat for moving the topic to the appropriate forum.

Kris
53rdspirit

Ease of Passage for an Imminent Death in Family

Unread postby Morigainne » Tue May 12, 2009 6:23 am

We have an imminent death in the family and I am wondering if there are any specific rituals, prayers, etc. within the hoodoo tradition for when a person dies? For easing the passage of death, helping the soul to make the transition to the other side, etc?
Morigainne

Re: Hoo Doo Death Rituals?

Unread postby Turnsteel » Tue May 12, 2009 7:46 am

Well that kind of thing is usually handled by religion and not folk magic. Pray to who ever you pray to.
Turnsteel

Unread postby LynneTyson » Fri Oct 22, 2010 8:40 am

I have a dear friend that will pass in hours or days at the most. This thread has been very helpful. Thank you.
LynneTyson

Unread postby Mama Micki » Fri Oct 22, 2010 2:40 pm

A white candle with Guardian Angel oil would be nice for someone of any faith.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby nette » Sun Oct 24, 2010 1:05 am

Please forgive me because this has nothing to do with lucky mojo products.
But this post brought to mind the the a long ago tradition I recall as a child growing up in the south.

The African americans community would burn a red colored class encased candle in the yard when a death had occurred in that home, where as white folk would hang as wreath of flowers by their door...also black folk would have white family cars and hurst, where as white folk would have black.
I do not think either tradition is observed today.

Please pardon my vernacular if I offended anyone with my reference as "Black folk".
nette

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sun Oct 24, 2010 6:53 am

I could be wrong, but from my understanding of African traditions the red candles may be connected to honoring the blood of the ancestors, and white is the color associated with death.

In most white culture, black and sometimes purple are associated with death - but you don't see too many purple hearses. ;)
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby kaboodle » Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:07 am

Is it possible for me to light a candle for me to die? As in I'm sick of life and want to die but I don't want to commit suicide because it's wrong in my religion. So can I light a candle that will let me die peacefully in my sleep? Like a Saint Death? I genuinely want to die.
kaboodle

Unread postby Miss Aida » Fri Oct 24, 2014 8:16 pm

Hello, Kaboodle,

Please please please send me a PM so that we can talk about this.

I am very worried that you feel this way. I don't want anything happening to you. Is there any way that you can get a hold of a crisis line?

Please understand that we care about you and don't want you to feel this way.

Send me a PM or send me an e-mail at my e-mail address and we can talk.

PLEASE
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby ChristinaKing22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 9:51 am

Hello everyone,
I'm writing this with such a heavy heart and I'm anxious for receiving help because I don't know what else to do. Someone who was extremely near and dear to my heart both romantically for 4 years and what finished off as a friendship for the last 5 years, he was killed on Sunday. We both had just said in June of this year, that we knew would end up together again...just needed to let his overly involved family and friends cooled off and out of our personal business...He was so so special to me and we shared Avery special bond because we both lost one of our parents at the age of 9 and in the same year...it's like we were both members to some elite club... and honestly I thought we had more time to reconcile later...

I have been lighting candles for him, keeping his altar area clean with white flowers and water and Florida water...how else can I help elevate him and help him heal thru such a sudden and traumatic death? Is there any way I can prepare the candle? Or not in this case?

my second problem is his family. They have always had an opinion (usually fueled by plain jealousy and gossip or nothing else to do with their misery I'm assuming.) either way, I ended communication with them on not the best of terms.. i didn't bother to clear up any rumors or opinions they made up about why I just left... and today, I need them to be more welcoming with me so I can mourn as well.

I'd like to help my ex boyfriend make it peacefully wherever it is he is headed, but I'm at a loss for anything I ever knew about my hoodoo roots or practices... I would also like to attend his service without any bitterness or petty confrontation. His last girlfriend of 2months, has made it clear that she is ridiculously insecure and jealous of me or my name even being mentioned. I feel she will start a scene if I go to pay my respects... How can I shut her up along with a few of his relatives so that I can attend the service in peace? I have no problem going in before the crowd arrives, and leaving quietly... I just don't want these people to give me any hell. I don't know if it's sweetening or freezing work that would be most effective here... time is of the essence because the services are at the end of this week.

Thanks in advance. Any suggestions is appreciated beyond measure.

Thank you
ChristinaKing22

Unread postby Sister Jean » Mon Jan 23, 2017 12:01 pm

Hello ChristinaKing22,

Oh honey, I'm so so sorry this happened. I'm so sorry for your loss and can't imagine the pain you must feel.

I think giving him his own altar space is a beautiful thing to do. If you scroll up through this thread, you'll find some posts that have some other ideas of candles and oils you can also use for him.

As for the family, I'd say to put you and them into a sugar jar asap, to sweeten them toward you:

http://www.luckymojo.com/honeyjar.html

I'd also suggest that if all possible, perhaps you could send his mom an email or letter (just drop it in the mailbox) explaining how much you want to be there and be able to pay your respects? That way she's not surprised the day of the service and can hopefully start moving toward at least accepting you.

As for the girlfriend, you could try a beef tongue spell to shut her up, or if you don't want to go that far, you could try putting her in a sugar jar with you.

http://www.luckymojo.com/freezer.html

You might still have to deal with some awkwardness that day, but hopefully everyone will keep in mind that they're there to remember this man, not be petty toward one another.

Take care of yourself.
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org
Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ChristinaKing22 » Mon Jan 23, 2017 3:01 pm

Thank you sister jean.
I loved your suggestions and I appreciate your feedback about his altar. I've never lost someone I have had a relationship with... I was young and buried my mother, and I've been an adult burying my elders. Never, someone like me tho... it's awful.

I can't stand how this girl is manipulating and taking advantage to play the victim role and announcing her deep love for him after their long term 2 month fling. Now, none of us will have him so her small minded crap is more than I can handle.

I loved the idea of shutting her up. No sense in sweetening her to me, and no sense in avoiding stronger approaches :) her and I actually were friends because i have a child by the same person as her, and be sure the relationship was very abusive, I chose to raise my son away and never said a word. When she heard thAt my son and hers may be from the same person, she found me, crying and I didn't shit her out... I learned about her new relationship with this man, I was speechless, & it was all on Sunday. Sweetening her keeps sounding worse and worse "/besides ultimately, I just want her to respect me and stop disregarding my place in this whole situation.

I feel my need is from a good place and with valid cause, (although I can't judge that) and I am going to look up the beef tongue spell. I know nothing about it. Thank you so much

Also, any herbs for his mothers honey jar? I've ordered herbs here before but I'm not sure if they are strictly for romantic love...
sister jean, thank you
ChristinaKing22

Unread postby Miss Aida » Tue Jan 24, 2017 10:06 pm

Hello, ChristinaKing22 ,

Please accept my sincere condolences.

I hope you have called and asked permission to attend

For herbs:

www.luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html

Also, there are elevation ceremonies but too much ad complicated to explain on the forum

So, please have the Silent Crystal League pray for the elevation of his soul. It is free

www.crystalsilenceleague.org

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Herbs, Oils, and Prayers for Death and Dying

Unread postby Sapmoss » Fri Apr 14, 2017 3:38 pm

I have a high school friend who I recently visited with after not seeing for 25 years... and during the course of our conversation I told her about my new spirituality hoodoo ... gave her a few tips as best I could about some matters in her life. A very interested friend indeed. This was last week.

Today she writes that she is doing palliative care for a cancer patient soon to cross over and is asking the following....

.." ..what type of prayer I could be saying to sever his old bridges and negative emotions and help him leave our world in the best possible feeling of comfort and love and self-forgiveness and cut ties with anything here that's going to hold him back..."

She has just simple household herbs etc nothing fancy but I believe she has frankincense oil. I was thinking a prayer to a guardian angel or Mother Mary in this instance? With a candle lit with frankincense oil and a kitchen herb such as basil? She herself does have a Christian Lutheran background not sure of palliative care patient...

This must be a trying situation... any suggestions could help.

Ps I do have many supplies .. healing oil arriving soon and peace water ... I could light a candle with these long distance as well with herbs added...

Hoping to help my friend ... thanks in advance
Sapmoss

Re: Herbs, Oils, and Prayers for Death and Dying

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 15, 2017 12:34 am

First, hoodoo is not a form of spirituality per se -- it is primarily practiced by spiritual people.

Second, i would not impose any religion on a person without knowing their own preferences. It always helps to ask.

Having said that, i would use the Frankincense Oil for sure, and, if the patient is a Catholic, ask her if she knows that Saint Joseph is the one who grants a peaceful death. Basil is always nice for peacefulness, as is Hops (the herb that is used for flavouring beer).
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Herbs Oils Lights and Prayers for Dying and Death

Unread postby Sapmoss » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:14 am

Thank you Miss Cat... I plan on taking your course as soon as possible myself ... I feel hungry for knowledge trying to learn something new every day... will pass this along
Sapmoss

Re: Herbs Oils Lights and Prayers for Dying and Death

Unread postby Miss Aida » Sat Apr 15, 2017 9:00 pm

Hello, Sapmoss ,

You and the Hoodoo Course are meant for each other!

So happy for you!
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Association of Independent Readers & Rootworkers

Return to Ask Us for Conjure Help with Road Opening, New Paths, Life Changes