Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

All about Lucky Mojo religious supplies, church goods, and altar tools, plus prayers to God, angels, spirits, saints, and deities.
Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator
Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Sun Aug 23, 2009 9:53 am

I am looking for information about the seven african powers
Perhaps it is on Lucky Mojo's site somewhere and I just have not been able to find it but I want to know how to go about using the African Powers and if anyone has had experiences with them

Thanks
Miss Phoenix - HRCC Graduate-Apprentice #1834
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu Aug 27, 2009 12:59 pm

Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Miss Phoenix
Forum Moderator
Re: Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions and Answers

Unread post by Miss Phoenix » Thu Aug 27, 2009 4:45 pm

thanks
Miss Phoenix - HRCC Graduate-Apprentice #1834
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions & Answers

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:21 pm

I am interested in spells incorporating the Seven African Powers. While I have read the information on LM, I would like those experienced with the Powers and how the entities were incorporated into spells...for love, for protection, for power...to enhance a spell etc etc. Thanks in advance.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: 7 African Powers

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:22 am

Seven African Powers is not a part of old-school Hoodoo. I mean I know LM sells the oil, however, in order to approach these Orishas properly you need to be initiated in Santeria. As a side-note, LM carries Lucky Buddha oil too, and Buddhism is not a common religion among hoodoo workers.

Let me tell you...I have NEVER used all of them together. But i have worked with ellegua. He is a trickster. He can be used to help open up the way, but he is a trickster. I did an offering to him, and so on...and I was driving really early and he decided to give me a flat tire with a brand NEW tire that I just purchased the day before. A few other things happened to me is that my altar caught on fire. I did not know what I was doing, but I was recommended by someone who ran an occult shop (not LM) to do this in help with an enemy. Well the joke was on me.

So the moral of the story... sounds like you are not experienced with these spirits. So my advice to you would be not to use them. If you do not worship them right, you can cause yourself a lot of harm...this includes working with some Orishas that seem harmless such as Oshun. I mean she's not a trickster, but piss her off she will mess you up too.

I stick to saints now...there are saints that are similar and related to these spirits.

I understand... its on LM so it must be harmless right? -- but just because it's on the site does not mean that it's safe for everyone to use. And you have to use certain products at your own risks.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

MadameKoiteh

Unread post by MadameKoiteh » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:51 am

The Seven African Powers refers to a very powerful group of African spirits that people petition for protection, special favors, and other things. It is very common to petition them in Santeria, and people usually do it by burning a candle with their image on it, in conjunction with the particular ritual and prayer. It is very different than trying to petition seven separate Orishas at the same time.

I think part of the central issue is how you approach them. We don't "use" spirits in any tradition. We petition them, and whether or not they decide to help or do anything for or to us is up to them, largely dependent, though, on our own intention and level of faith and respect.

In my area, rootworkers blend much of their practice with Santeria, so much so that most lay people no longer distinguish them. Many rootworkers where I live receive initiation into the African religions now or get some training in those traditions. Things are changing quickly here.

Starsinthesky7 is correct about the Seven African Powers archetype not being a traditional part of hoodoo, but we work with them here now. You do not have to be initiated to petition or honor any Orisha. People do it every day. Just certain types of offerings are made by the initiated and by priests of varying levels, and some can be done for you by those with the proper credentials, but many are performed by uninitiated people on their own behalf.

I can give you a simple ritual for the Seven African Powers that is typical of how we work with them:

Get a 7-day candle with the image of the Seven African Powers. The candle is usually multicolored. Cleanse and anoint your candle as you usually do, focusing on your intent (there is also a special prayer you can recite for the Seven African Powers to protect you). For protection from an enemy or group of enemies, you write the enemy's name on a piece of paper. Place it under a glass of water. Put a white plate on top of the glass, put the candle on top of the plate, and light your candle. (Some people don't use the plate, they just set the candle next to the water.) Let it burn all the way out and you will see the results.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Dec 10, 2009 8:12 pm

Thank you I understand and at this point will not even consider.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Azna21

Thank You Seven Powers of Africa

Unread post by Azna21 » Wed Feb 24, 2010 12:36 pm

I have been praying to the Seven African Powers since New Year’s for career advancement/stability and more opportunities to get involved in community philanthropic and therapeutic work (in order to finish my clinical hours and become a licensed therapist). Within the last month all 7 of you have helped to place an abundance of networking contacts in my path, and since the new moon putting plans into action has begun to pick up at an extremely rapid pace … even within an hour after praying to all of you last night I received a phone call from a community organizer, and yet another one from a community director this morning (and all these events are occurring before my 7-day novena candle has finished)!

The Seven African Powers are truly amazing and generous with their results/blessings. I had no idea that they would bless me at such a rapid pace!! I have spent close to 2 years trying to get clinical therapeutic internships … after 13 days of uncrossing work, and a little bit of crown of success work mixed with the awesome Seven African Powers the doors of opportunity are now open. =)

Much love & light,

Azna21

Loved
Re: Thank You Seven Powers of Africa

Unread post by Loved » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:48 pm

:D That's awesome that everything has worked for you. I wish you continued success.

Azna21

Re: Thank You Seven Powers of Africa

Unread post by Azna21 » Fri Mar 05, 2010 6:56 pm

Thanks so much PlainJane for you sweet reply. =)

Blesssings, Love & Light,
Azna21

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:42 pm

I agree with the person above to some degree. However, people may petition to the Seven African Powers every day, but I disagree with the average joe -- especially someone that has no clue what they are doing or someone that is new to hoodoo -- to use them.

They are not the same as a saint to me. And they can be slightly more demanding, and if you do not do certain things you can offend them.

For example, if you do not taste the honey of Oshun before you offer it to her, you can offend her because she was tricked, and I think poisoned by a rival that way.

So people may use them every day, but if you do not know what you are doing or if you are someone that is not initiated in Santeria then you are definitely taking a gamble.

To be on the safe side, I would use their Catholic saint counterparts that have similar qualities.

It is sooooo important, people, to research what you are doing, and ask questions before you try it. Just because someone else didn't get hurt or harmed does not mean you will not.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:51 pm

Starsinthesky7 and MadameKotteh point out the regional nature of much of hoodoo practice.

Speaking for my own part of the world, which is California, we rarely see folks come into our shop and ask for Seven African Powers supplies. However, we sell a lot of these products on the internet to our mail order customers in New York, New Jersey, and Florida, which are areas with high percentages of Afro-Caribbean religionists and immigrants. Meanwhile, our mail-order customers in the Southern states of Georgia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Alabama, Mississippi, South Carolina, and Kentucky rarely ask for Seven African Powers products. Internet customers from the states of Texas and Louusiana are right in between, in terms of how many people buy Seven African Powers supplies.

Not everyone who buys these goods is an initiate in Santeria, but more of them have Hispanic surnames than not.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

chris.wildbore

Unread post by chris.wildbore » Sun Jul 25, 2010 2:27 pm

Just wondering if there is a traditional order that the 7 powers are served if all served in the same service.

JCPA72

Unread post by JCPA72 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:09 pm

Chris,

Yes there is an order to the Seven Powers.

Ellegua is first since he is the keeper of doorways, gates (hence why many people petition him when doing an Open Road Spell) , he can also be a Trickster of the highest sort, hence Sky's car problems, since he does rule over cars and accidents.

Then come the warriors, Ogun (Chief warrior, God of War, blood and Iron, it's advised to petition him when you have your menses or if you have an open wound, he usually does require some type of blood sacrafice).

Next is Chango (lightening, dance, passion, (historically he's a bit of a cassanova).

Obatala, "creator" is next (in reality all work or intercession should be "approved" by him, because he is the first but as someone said earlier, many Latino's petition the Orishas specific to their needs, without being ordained into the religion or following any type of "order").

Then comes Oya, also a warrior and wife of Chango (she harnesses the power of storms, lightening etc.)

Then Yemaya, Mother of the Sea, one of the most beloved of the Orishas since she is the guardian of women, fertility, childbirth (many petition her for successful pregnancies and births) and witchcraft. It is said anyone who comes to her with a humble heart, and with the right intentions she will help, but once she is angered it's very difficult to make it up to her).

Last but not least is Oshun rules the ’sweet’ waters- rivers, brooks, and streams. Oshun is closely related to Yemaya, and their aspects sometimes overlap. They are considered sisters in certain aspects, it depends which one of the Yorba legends you read. She is the goddess of love, passion, and sensuality, as well as money and prosperity.

I have worked with Yemaya and Oshun many times over the years, they are powerful and kind but when offended or upset, it can take alot to get them to help you again. With Yemaya, I work with her from a more loving place, she is helping me a great deal with my reconcilliation works, and with Oshun I am working with her on two fronts, to increase desire and passion in my relationship as well as petitioning her help in my work and school life.

My best advice in working with the Orishas themselves, or in their Saint forms, is to do some humbly and research them well, they are easy to work with if you follow the steps correctly, much like getting a reading from a rootworker, it's advisiable to get a consultation or reading from a trusted Santero.

As with anything magical or spiritual, if the universe feels it's not for you..sometimes, they say no..
My most gracious thanks to La Caridad Del Cobre, St. Martha, St. Michael, and La Virgen de La Regla

JCPA72

Unread post by JCPA72 » Sun Jul 25, 2010 4:12 pm

Also wanted to add there are other Orisha's but these are the main 7 and the 7 that make up the 7 African Powers..
My most gracious thanks to La Caridad Del Cobre, St. Martha, St. Michael, and La Virgen de La Regla

maduro01

Unread post by maduro01 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:42 pm

When burning the Seven African Powers vigil candle, what is the best way to petition seven different personalities when asking for one goal?
Thank You Saint Martha for all that you've done and continue to do for me!!!!

JCPA72

Unread post by JCPA72 » Thu Nov 04, 2010 8:17 pm

@ Maduro -

I hope I don't cause too much trouble answering this question since its not really related to Hoodoo or LM (except that you can order the candle and oil from them :)

This was something taught to me by an old spiritual advisor many years ago, for those somewhat familiar with a bovenda (espiritismo aspect of santeria) it will sound simliar. Petitioning the Orisha's is never really a simple thing, as some have mentioned before, they can be demanding and easily offended, as Starsinthesky mentioned, sometimes its better to petition them in their Saint forms, then directly to the Orisha's but they can be approached as a group, for protection or special favors. If you have never worked with them, you may need to repeat for more than one cycle of 7 days. I've used this ritual before with great success, but your intention needs to be very clear.

This is what I did:

Select a quiet area (not in your bedroom if you can help it, the Orisha's can be a rowdy bunch)

You will need a white table cloth, small table, 7 day African Powers Candle, 7 small glasses (no trim, no etching, the plainer the better and they must be glass) 7 African Powers Incense (if you don't have this or have ability to purchase this, you can use sandlewood or patchouli) 7 Africian Powers Oil, gold & silver glitter and a brown paper for your petition. Light your incense - Set- up your table, (if possible clean the table with a little holy water mixed with Florida water, if you have it) lay the table cloth. pray while you annoint the candle with oil and sprinkle a little bit (don't overdue the oil or the glitter, it can effect your candle burn, less is more)of each glitter (the glitter is a symbolic form of payment in "silver & gold" )Write your petition on the brown paper, fold and place under the vigil candle, now for the 7 glasses, each should be filled with plain cold water, as you place each glass of water, call out to each Orisha in this order, Ellegua,Ogun, Chango,Obalata,Oya, Yemaya and Oshun. The 1st glass should be placed directly in front of the candle, the rest in a counter-clockwise direction until you complete the circle.

So it would be, raise glass skyward, place down in front of the candle and saying For Ellegua, then again raise the next glass skyward, place down to the left of the first candle saying For Ogun and so on and so on. What you should have is a vigil candle surrounded by 7 water glasses in a complete circle. The "gold & silver" and the water are considered your offerings/payment for assistance with your petition.

You should keep the candle burning the 7 days, each day stop by your altar and pray to them, mentioning both your request and your humble thanks for their intercession.

Depending on the difficulty of your request, you can do a 7, 14 or 21 day cycle. You will need to change the water with each new cycle of 7 days

If you have any questions let me know, hopefully my directions were clear enough :)

maduro01

Unread post by maduro01 » Fri Nov 05, 2010 3:00 pm

Thanks JCPA72! :)
Thank You Saint Martha for all that you've done and continue to do for me!!!!

pharaohbakura
Newly Registered
Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions & Answers

Unread post by pharaohbakura » Fri Jun 29, 2012 3:23 am

Can the 7 African Powers be used for revenge work and/or hexing an enemy, by calling up the Orisha to torment them?

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator
Re: Can a Seven African powers candle be used for any working?

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:39 am

Hoodoo is primarily a Protestant Christian tradition. Despite the African foundations in hoodoo, it does not call on the Orisha. The use of Seven African Powers products in hoodoo seems to be angled towards good luck work, rather than cursing.

If you want to work with the Orishas, I would suggest locating a worker familiar with them, or finding someone who is actually crowned in Lukumi (Santeria), or a similar tradition that works with them.
Two-Headed Doctor

george81
Newly Registered
Inquiring Mind, 7 African Powers

Unread post by george81 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 6:19 pm

Hello Everyone,

My name is George and this is my first posting on this site. Before I ask my question, here is a little information on me. I am married with three small children; 10 months ago I resigned from my job which paid me very well. My family and I left our home in Florida to foreclosure and relocated to Georgia with nothing but a few months of savings. Both of our families where very upset that we left Florida and wanted badly for us to return. My wife, kids and I were very happy living in Georgia, great place for kids.

After 5 months I could not find a job and my money ran out so I moved my family back to Florida. Confused and depressed because I did not, and still don’t want to live in Florida, I went to a lady who read my cards, she told me that the spirits did not want me to leave, that I should remain in Florida. I guess she saw my frustration. She told me the only way was to get a blessing and ask Ochosi to open the path for me.

I have been doing tons of research on Ochosi and the 7 African Powers and came to a conclusion that I would like to ask the 7 African Powers for help. I tried a small petition with Elegua, asking to open the path so I could find work, mainly working for myself. I burned a 7 day African Power candle and prayed daily for 7 days for a few minutes I also offered Elegua 3 medium size chocolate candy. It only took 2 days, and my wife was given an opportunity to start a cleaning business, we are already working and making small money to start.

Now to my question. My wife and I have decided that we both want to move back to Georgia but the right way, with a job and a home for our kids. I have a plan of objectives that I need to accomplish before moving back, such as allowing my oldest son to finish high school, he has 2.5 years left. I also want to start a business in real estate and work with my wife from home so we can dedicate our time to the kids. Our plan is to move in 2.5 years. I wanted to write down my plan on brown paper, how I would like it to be and present it to the 7 African Powers with a candle and pray daily.

What petition can I make so the 7 African Powers can help, guide, protect, allow, and follow me on this journey? Anyone have any ideas, thoughts, further advice or recommendations, please. Thank you and god bless.

Sorry for the long post,

George

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Inquiring Mind, 7 African Powers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 26, 2014 11:04 am

Hello, George, and welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum.

For those unfamiliar with the 7 African Powers -- this is a name that originated in Cuba for a grouping of orishas or spirits derived from Nigerian religious traditions, expressed in the generally Catholic cultural context of the Santeria / Lukumi religion. Afro-Caribbean traditions developed independently of hoodoo, and hoodoo is not an initiatic religion, but the 7 African Powers, as a formula for oils, and an image for use on candles and other spiritual supplies, has been a part of the wide-ranging multi-culturalism of hoodoo since the mid 1970s.

I have merged your query into the thread containing ideas from those who regularly work with the 7 African Powers.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Anonymous06

Re: Seven African Powers Spiritual Supplies Questions & Answers

Unread post by Anonymous06 » Mon Jul 28, 2014 6:42 pm

Hi I was wondering if someone can offer me some advice? I just finished a seven day candle in honor of oshun. The flame was burning really high and I don't ever like to leave a candle on, so I turned it off. The candle was meant to bring my ex boyfriend and I back together, will it work or no? I'm afraid that because I turned it off it won't work, I spent all my money on this candle and I'm praying every night to oshun to allow it to work. After the candle was over, I threw it in the river, I made sure I offered pennies in the candle as well as honey. So if anyone can please take the time to answer my question, it would be great!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:30 pm

Hello, Anonymous06,
We don't answer Orisha question on this forum because it is a Hoodoo forum.
But, I'll break the rule this time: YOU did good!!
Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Purplelady1
Newly Registered

Unread post by Purplelady1 » Mon Mar 20, 2017 2:18 pm

Thank you 7 African powers for everything that I have prayed and asked for, almost happen immediately. It been so good and positive in the last few days I will make offerings to you as promised.
Thanks again 7 african powers!

C505

Unread post by C505 » Sat Jun 17, 2017 6:52 pm

I was wondering can I petition the Seven African Powers for love/lust my situation I want to meet a specific person who I don't know really and maybe have a passionate time with her. Is there a specific day to petition them? Thanks

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Jun 17, 2017 8:37 pm

Hello, C505 ,

Yes, you can do that.

Because the Orishas have different days of theweek, that's a togh question

But, since Oshun/Ochun is the dominate Orishas for love, you would start it on Saturday (Saturday is Oshun's day and the day to work for love in Santeria)

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Religious Goods and Altar Tools in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure”