• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 8:16 am

Ethnographic Sources for Historical Information on Hoodoo

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com

Hurston Recordings

Unread postby fausto » Sat Jun 20, 2009 9:37 pm

This is a link to a series of recordings made by Zora Neale Hurston while she collected folklore in Florida in the 1930's. Maybe not directly related to hoodoo, but I thought they were interesting.

http://www.floridamemory.com/Collection ... rston.cfm#
fausto

Re: Hurston Recordings

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:51 pm

Thanks for the link.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Hurston Recordings

Unread postby Papa Rouj » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:59 am

That's a really great link!!!

Thanks...
Papa Rouj

Ethnographic Sources for Historical Information on Hoodoo

Unread postby CopperFox » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:24 pm

Hello, Friends.

Recently I posted a link to an essay by Charles W. Chestnutt; it had a great deal of typographical errors, unfortunately. The following link includes the full text of that essay (w/o the typo's) plus several others by various authors. I hope you will enjoy reading them as much as I have.

Enjoy,

Michelle
:ugeek: Folklore-Geek-Extraordinaire :ugeek:

http://etext.virginia.edu/railton/proje ... texts.html
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121
CopperFox

Re: Link to Hoodoo related literature

Unread postby MysticRootworker » Thu Jan 21, 2010 8:12 pm

Michelle
Thanks for the info. :-)
MysticRootworker

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sat Jan 23, 2010 3:59 pm

Thanks !
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Hoodoo Girl » Sat Jan 23, 2010 4:54 pm

Thank you for the helpful info! :D
Hoodoo Girl

Unread postby coastwitch » Sat Jan 23, 2010 5:45 pm

For a good starter list of historical articles on black folk magic, conjure, hoodoo, and rootwork, please see this page at Southern-Spirits.com --

AN ANNOTATED BIBLIOGRAPHY OF HOODOO SOURCE MATERIAL by Catherine Yronwode
http://www.southern-spirits.com/hoodoo- ... raphy.html

In addition, many short articles of historicl value are archived at the Southern-Spirits.com web site and can be reached via the site's index page:

SOUTHERN SPIRITS: GHOSTLY VOICES FROM DIXIE LAND
http://southern-spirits.com
coastwitch
coastwitch

Unread postby CopperFox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 pm

Hello, friends.

You are all most welcome. I especially enjoyed the Chesnutt piece about the "goophered" vineyard. When I locate more relevant public domain links, I will post them to this thread in the future for our continued entertainment and education.

To hear that hoodoo blues sound that Ms. cat so often refers to, go to npr.org and check out their story about Mississippi Delta Blues, featuring articles and music by Tommy Johnson and other hoodoo bluesmen. Update: 2-18-2010, this article is moving to the NRP archives at week's end, but should still be accessible via a site search.
Enjoy, it's good stuff!

Michelle

Also wanted to add: you might want to check the Wikipedia article on Robert Johnson, it's fairly well done. As hoodoo practicioners there is much to be read into what is reported and under-reported, especially the manner in which the crossroads ceremony Johnson purportedly gained his guitar mastery through is rather glossed over as the stuff of myth. I could find no mention of the crossroads ritual in the article for Tommy Johnson, not surprising, since many confuse the two musicians and their respective stories.
Psalm 121
CopperFox

Unread postby Turnsteel » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:06 pm

Hey y'all

A dear friend of mine passed me a link a while ago and I wanted to share it with you all here.

http://qucommunication.com/FACIpdf.pdf

This is Folklore From Adams County Illinois the first book written by famous (in some circles at least) Harry M. Hyatt. If you are unfamiliar with Mr. Hyatt's work you can read about it here: http://www.luckymojo.com/hyatt.html

The book is full of wonderful bits of folklore and in the section under "witchcraft" good down home hoodoo!

Now if only his other books were online, lol.
Turnsteel

Unread postby CopperFox » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:18 pm

HD --

Thank you so much for passing on that gem. Now, if only a site like Sacred Texts would/could publish the Hyatt volumes...which, by the way for those unfamiliar with that site -- they do have the full text of The Long Lost Friend up for your reading pleasure.

Veilen dank,

Michelle
Psalm 121
CopperFox

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:56 pm

Ah, good old Sacred Text.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 17, 2010 10:16 am

Sacred Texts cannot publish books that are protected under copyright law, and neither can archive.org or the Gutenburg Project. End of story.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Harry Hyatt's books - why so expensive & controversial?

Unread postby Sunnyafternoon » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:17 pm

I have been unsuccessful finding a copy of Harry Hyatt's works. The few scattered copies for sale cost a fortune.

1) Does anyone know a library or college who has an inter-library loan program for graduate students?

2) When I've told people in academia what these books were about they seemed either horrified or offended.

3) Has anyone any suggestions?
Sunnyafternoon

Re: Links to Hoodoo-related literature

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Aug 21, 2012 7:38 pm

1) Hyatt printed 3,000 copies of each book. He gave most of Volumes 1 and 2 away to university libraries around the company and to large public libraries in the South. When he published volumes 3, 4, and 5 he thought the libraries would buy them, to complete their sets, after his generous gifts, but they did not. As a result, when he died there were more copies of volumes 3, 4, and 5 left unsold.

Lucky Mojo sold Hyatt sets for years -- hundreds of complete 5-volume sets -- and after copies the first two volumes ran out, we followed by selling hundreds of sets of the remaining 3 volumes. You are simply late for the party, my dear. I have two sets, my husband has a set.

Everyone who was around from the mid 1970s to the early 2000s has a set -- and, as i said, many libraries either have the Volume 1 and 2 "freebies" or the complete 5-volume sets.

When i was selling them in the 1990s, people complained because i charged $100.00 per volume and you had to buy all 5 volumes as a set. I used to have a whole back section of the office filled with these sets in unopened printers' boxes from the 1970s and i was lucky if i sold one set per week. Once the stock of remaining copies was depleted, the market set its own new value on the books.

Funny how the sudden explosion of interest in hoodoo suddenly drove the price through the roof.

2) Too long a story for this Forum. I can tell you a lot, but you will have to schedule a paid phone consultation (reading) with me for at least half an hour and i will tell you the story behind the story. In detail.

3) Inter-library loan -- all you need to do is get into your local inter-library loan system.

Please read these two pages for more information and for how you can help rebuild the Hyatt collection in the date-order and by the location the material was collected:

http://luckymojo.com/hyatt.html

http://luckymojo.com/hyattinformants.html

Also consider picking up a copy of "Folk Beliefs of the Southern Negro" by Newbell Niles Puckett (1926; reprinted several times).

Good luck
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Mama Micki » Wed Aug 22, 2012 6:35 am

Provided that his estate consents, and the copyright issues are dealt with (although this book may now be in public domain), an ambitious person or company should look into reprinting the Hyatt books.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Doctor Hob » Wed Aug 22, 2012 10:26 am

That would be wonderful. I managed to pick up volumes 3,4, and 5 a few months ago, but I despair at ever finding the first 2.
Two-Headed Doctor
Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Drums and Shadows by Mary Granger

Unread postby blackmirror » Tue Dec 03, 2013 10:56 pm

Greetings!

For anyone interested in the history and folklore of Savannah, GA and the surrounding area,i recommend "Drums and Shadows" by Mary Granger. (Quite a few mentions of rootwork.)
blackmirror

Unread postby kittymojo » Thu Feb 06, 2014 5:32 am

Loved the Mary Alicia Owens! Thank you for the link.

Kitty Mojo
kittymojo

Unread postby jwmcclin » Thu Feb 06, 2014 7:20 am

lousydowser thanks, I need a good read.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Hyatt's original wax recordings

Unread postby liminalSister » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:42 pm

Hello Everyone!

I was looking on the forum for this info and I didn't see an answer to this. I know Harry Hyatt used field recording equipment to assist in gathering the source materials for his books. I wonder if any of those wax cylinders still exist? Is anyone in contact with his estate? Wouldn't it be amazing to hear some of the original men and women describing their work? When I bought my volume 4 of the set I seem to recall the seller telling me this copy (still in its shipping box) came from the Hyatt family storage where they had sat unsold during his life (what a shame)

In any case I have always been curious about the original recordings..

Thanks!
Madeleine
liminalSister

Re: Hyatt's original wax recordings

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Aug 28, 2014 11:07 pm

No, the wax cylinders do not exist. They were expensive, and once each cylinder was transcribed, Mr. Hyatt sent it in to be resurfaced for re-use. This is why he transcribed everything phonetically; he knew the recordings would be wiped out.

He did make a shellac record of one person, a very short clip.

That's it.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Online Shopping Cart Questions and Answers

Unread postby Lovemydogs » Wed Sep 17, 2014 6:26 pm

Hello,

I was interested in ordering Hoodoo - Conjuration -
Witchcraft - Rootwork" book
by
HARRY MIDDLETON HYATT but I could not find the link to order that book and I would like to add that book to a list of other materials that I am waiting to purchase.

Could anyone suggest anything?

Thank You. 8-)
Lovemydogs

Unread postby J-Mo » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:45 am

Hello lovemydogs,

To my knowledge, after a decade of selling them, Hyatt's books "Hoodoo - Conjuration -Witchcraft - Rootwork" are no longer carried by Lucky Mojo because the stock left behind at Mr. Hyatt's death was all sold. A limited number of these books were published, so they are rare and costly.

However Lucky Mojo has provided information on Hyatt and his informants. Check out the following links.

http://www.luckymojo.com/hyatt.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/hyattinformants.html

Best regards
J-Mo
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Frank Owen » Fri Sep 19, 2014 12:01 am

Greetings lovemydogs.

The best thing to do, with the Hyatt books, is first, contact your library and see if they can get them on inter-library loan. I did, and actually got one, and they let me have it for 3 months!!
Some libraries will get them as reference materials and you will have to go to the library and take notes.

And finally , a well known online book chain, one you all know, often turns up copies, or even sets of these books. Be forewarned they are EXPENSIVE, but worth tracking down (if the rest are like the vol one which I have for another 3 weeks!

Just keep an eye out, and do not hesitate to try your library's Inter-Library Loan System!

Good Luck!

Frank
Frank Owen

Re: Ethnographic Sources for Historical Information on Hoodoo

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Sep 20, 2014 11:34 pm

Interlibrary loan is a great way to get these and other rare books. I also recommend that everyone who is seriously interested in hoodoo read "Folk Beliefs of the Southern Negro" by Newbell Niles Puckkett.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Money Harry Hyatt Books

Unread postby Dr_TJ Soul » Wed Oct 29, 2014 4:43 pm

Hello all,

I am here looking for more money information. I have a reasonable library, but I dont own any of Harry Hyatt Books. I recently found a deal on a few Harry Hyatt books. I know that most books have a wide variety of information, but I was wondering if there is one Harry Hyatt book with a strong amount of money information.

Thanks
Dr_TJ Soul
Dr_TJ Soul

Unread postby ProfessorAmes » Wed Oct 29, 2014 7:04 pm

Hi Dr_TJ Soul,

The Hyatt books are difficult to obtain, particularly volume 1 and 2 as they were published in a much more limited basis. Interlibrary loan is your best bet to get the books to you.

The structure of the books is not by spell type, but by interview (generally so). So, while gathering the information he recorded whatever type of information they provided. In the later volumes, there was some attempt to index the structure of the book, like a table of contents, but no indexing by spell type or such. There is mention of a final volume 6 to include an index (and I assume cross index by subject) by his assistant Michael Edward Bell. This was never published to my knowledge.

You have to remember that Hyatt was a folklorist, his interest was in capturing the stories and the people involved in the tradition. This was not intended as "how to" book at all.

Hope that helps.
ProfessorAmes
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Dr_TJ Soul » Thu Oct 30, 2014 5:16 am

Thank you Professor Ames
I appreciate it.
Dr_TJ Soul

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Sep 04, 2017 8:27 am

This is a repost of a dialogue between Papa Gee and myself. I am bringing it here because it may be of interest to my students and others who are working with the "Hoodoo - Conjure - Witchcraft - Rootwork" and "Folk-Lore from Adams County Illinois" collections by Harry M. Hayatt.

Papa Gee:

found a 1935 folklore from adams county illinois harry hyatt for $150. Worth buying for that price?
I couldn't stand it. Afraid someone would snatch it up and bought it. Looks in wonderful condition.
have you sold all your other sets of Hyatt books?

Catherine:

$150.00 is a fair price for FACI, 1935. When i bought from the storage shed in which Harry Hyatt's unsold books were kept, i paid $20.00 a copy and sold them for $50.00 a copy and they sold very slowly, as did the 1965 edition of FACI and the 5 volumes of HCWR. It took me about 7 years to sell all the books i acquired (hundreds of them), at $50.00 per volume.

All of Hyatt's stored books entered the marketplace in due time, and i have had none for sale for the past 10 years. After my supply was exhausted, prices rose dramatically as the books became "objects of virtue" in their own right -- unopened tomes that some people sought to possess for reasons of perceived prestige.

I recommend that all professionals and home practitioners read the HCWR books.

In them you will find mostly older, rural tricks (Hyatt's average interview subject was born in the 1880s - 1890s) and although hoodoo drugstore products were in wide use by then (as one can see by reading the earlier "Black and White Magic of Marie Laveau" or "Mules and Men" books by other authors), relatively few tricks made with products were collected by Hyatt as he clearly stated that his mission was to refer back one or two generations. He preferred unschooled and rural informants, and he marked as "N.G." (no good) some interviews with root doctors who purchased from or worked at hoodoo drug stores. This does not make him a bad collector of folklore, but rather one who set himself a carefully delimited set of goals and fulfilled those goals admirably.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Lucky-Mojo-Hoodoo-Rootwork-Hour-Radio-Show.com

Return to Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News