• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Sat Sep 23, 2017 7:24 pm

General Herb and Root Magic Questions and Answers

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.

Re: General Herb and Root Magic Questions and Answers

Unread postby Miss Aida » Tue Sep 27, 2016 8:11 pm

Hello, royal_PITA,

I certainly wouldn't recommend a Lucky Mojo product that didn't exist! I know most of their products by heart

Here it is!

www.herb-magic.com/love-herbs-mixture.html

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby loyal_stranger » Wed Sep 28, 2016 4:47 am

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that. I just meant I couldn't find anything like that and thought maybe you were talking about several herbs. And thank you!!!
loyal_stranger

Unread postby Miss Aida » Wed Sep 28, 2016 8:39 pm

Hello, royal_PITA,

Oh, I didn't take anything offensively! Promise!!

I'm glad you found them now!

Wishing you great success with this

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby HoodooBeginner » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:07 am

Hello All!

I have a question, I'd like to make oils for healing and I was wondering how do you charge the herbs? I have heard from someone a little recently and they said in order for the oil(s) to work that you need to charge up the herbs or you will just have oil and herbs.
HoodooBeginner

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Oct 06, 2016 11:57 am

HoodooBeginner --

You seem to have African American folk magic (hoodoo, conjure, rootwork) seriously confused with Neo-Pagan Wiccan or Traditional Witchcraft practices.

We do not "charge" anything (except, perhaps, our credit cards). LOL!

I suggest that before you begin dabbling in hoodoo oil-making, you actually learn what hoodoo is, what its basic traditional methodologies are, where it came from, and how we, practitioners of this form of work, treat and deal with the making of spiritual supplies.

Here are some links that may help you:

Hoodoo in Theory and Practice Table of Contents
http://luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

Basic Understanding of Traditional African American Hoodoo
basic-understanding-of-traditional-african-american-hoodoo-t19287.html

Seriously speaking, and with no intent to insult you, a "beginner" should not be making oils without an understanding of the way we work. Your question implies a complete lack of understanding -- or else a reliance on self-promoting internet sources that have no connection to Black American culture and have falsely appropriated the term "hoodoo" to describe their own way of compounding oils according to Neo-Pagan principles.

Stick around and read some of the real stuff here and at the Lucky Mojo web site.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby HoodooBeginner » Sat Oct 15, 2016 1:26 am

Thanks Miss Cat, Much Appreciated! :)
HoodooBeginner

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:11 am

Just a reminder --

The new 8th edition of "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" is now available. Available since 2002, with 24,000 copies in print, and no change in price.

* 224 pages, available in trade paperback softcover ($14.95) or limited edition clothbound hardcover ($39.95).

* 500 herbs, roots, minerals, and rare zoological curios, with taxonomic ("Latin") names for proper identification.

* 750 traditional spells, tricks, and magical recipes. These are complete, easy-to-use, and highly practical, designed for readers who want to go beyond the "romance" or symbolism of herb magic and actually mix up and make their own potions, dressing oils, bath crystals, incenses, floor washes, and mojo bags. If you grow or gather herbs, this book will teach you exactly how to use them.

* 50 black and white line illustrations of common magical herbs and roots of North America.

* 6 handy charts in which dozens of conditions -- such as love-drawing or protection -- are listed and the herbs for each condition are given in alphabetical order. This saves time when looking for ways to use herbs that are available -- and you can use these charts to find substitutions, if necessary.

* Cross-referencing: Every herb is accompanied by at least one spell. End-of-entry cross-references make it easy to find other spells in which the herb is used -- no flipping back to an index: Cross-references are right in the entry itself.

* Bibliography: Authentic recipes are drawn from first-hand experience and 100 years of solid folkloric research.

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Paperback by cat yronwode
$14.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Herb gathering Q

Unread postby Dhat+hat » Sat Oct 29, 2016 8:13 am

Hi Catherine, et al,

I'm wondering about the herb source for LM products.

In search of herbs gathered left hand, no steel, offering of gratitude to Earth when gathered.
Dhat+hat

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:34 pm

Dear Dhat+hat --

We do not belong to a magical or religious tradition that encourages left-handedness, forbids steel implements, or creates a system of offerings of gratitude to the earth.

Of course some folks among us may be left-handed, and some herbs are plucked by hand instead of with clippers, and some people may thank the plants or leave offerings, but there is no institutionalized tradition of doing so in African American folk magic

Please read more about the African American hoodoo tradition here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby mana » Tue Nov 01, 2016 7:34 pm

Hi,
How does one call or pray on the spirit for a herb to help in spells?
Once I get a herb out of a packet, I completely understand my intentions with it but fumble with words when trying to ask or thank the herb for assistance.
I know it's important to do it especially if the herb hasn't been used for a while but can someone give me an example, suggestion or share how they do it?
mana

Unread postby mana » Tue Nov 01, 2016 8:22 pm

Just found my answer in previous pages. Thanks.
mana

Unread postby loyal_stranger » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:49 am

I'm sorry if this has already been discussed - I wasn't able to find it.

Anyway just curious where you store your herbs and oils? My supply is starting to get a little out of hand and while I keep the herbs I cook with in the kitchen, I tend to keep the ones that are only used for rootwork on my altar in a plastic container thing (I think it's actually a craft storage thing) but that is now overflowing plus doesn't fit my tools, books, bottles for oils and whatnot. Just curious what everyone else uses. I'd kind of like something that holds my tools, oil bottles, and herbs all in one but this altar is in my bedroom (actually it's my fireplace - and it was chosen for the obvious reason of being fireproof) so I would rather not have a bunch of tables and stuff laying about if possible. It's starting to look really cluttered in there. My books I can store in my closet on the bookshelf so that's NBD.
loyal_stranger

Unread postby Sister Jean » Wed Nov 02, 2016 6:01 pm

Hello loyal_stranger,

You don't want to keep your Lucky Mojo oils or herbs near heat or in direct sunlight, but other than that, you can do whatever works for you. My altar is a vintage vanity table, and I keep my oils and herbs in the drawers. Maybe set up a small bookcase devoted to your magical tools?
Thank you, St. Michael, St. Expedite, St. Martha, Bone Mama!
ID #1590G
I'm on Hoodoo Psychics!
Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby aniviel » Mon May 15, 2017 3:06 pm

Best herbs to use to promote friendship / work relationship / partnership (non-romantic) with a specific person? :)

Thank you and blessings
(I only know of Cloves...)
aniviel

Unread postby natstein » Mon May 15, 2017 4:05 pm

Hello lalyil,
I would recommend getting miss cat's book Hoodoo Herb and root magic (http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html) for a good discussion of the uses of herbs. I personally have used lavander an sugar for friendships. But I am sure there are plenty of other ways to work for that.

Peace~

Nathen
natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shutter » Thu May 18, 2017 6:06 pm

I organized all my herbs and mixed them with my oils and want to mix them in with soy wax and make small jar candles from them, question though...

Would too many herbs/thick herb mix to wax ratio make them hard to burn? Are there any herbs that I shouldn't leave in a candle because if it burns it'd be a disaster?

Just trying to get out all the kinks before I do this officially and waste all my herbs and oils.
Shutter

Unread postby Miss Aida » Thu May 18, 2017 8:35 pm

Hello, Shutter ,

You know, if this is your first time, experiment first with a little. It's difficult to have perfection the very first time.

I prefer finely grinding the herbs. And, yes, too many herbs (with a 50/50 ratio) will most likely be a flop (or a fire).

You would need a lot less herbs than that

Experiment first. See what happens in a tea light container.

Wishing you the best

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby Shutter » Fri May 19, 2017 7:48 am

Thank you!!!
Shutter

Unread postby Shutter » Fri May 19, 2017 6:44 pm

Miss Aida or anyone else if you have any tips, let them fly. The sooner I find out the best way to do this the sooner I can make a ton and buy more oils and herbs from LM haha, so intensive for everybody!
Shutter

Unread postby Sister Jean » Sat May 20, 2017 10:34 am

Hello Shutter,

Miss Aida already gave you some good advice, so start by heeding that.

Good luck.
ID #1590G
I'm on Hoodoo Psychics!
Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Sean Paul Erie » Fri Jun 09, 2017 4:46 am

Hi I've been harvesting nettles to drink as a herbal infusions now for sometime love the taste, I also include them in my hoodoo.
But yesterday I came across a wild overgrown Cemetery and there were lots of nettles growing out of old graves.
And I wondered if grave yards would hold extra Meaning within hoodoo? Or would I be more specific as do whose grave they're growing on or not at all?

Thanks

Seanpaul
Sean Paul Erie

Unread postby Miss Aida » Fri Jun 09, 2017 10:39 pm

Hello, Sean Paul Erie,

Hmmm....

I'm a little hesitant about drinking Nettle tea that was grow in a graveyard.

My suggestion is to try it just once in a spell (to see what happens) but not to drink it. Just in case there's negative energies around them.

It makes me nervous...

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby goldentouch97 » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:47 am

I search the name of this herb in hoodoo conjure.Who can help me ?
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocimum_gratissimum
goldentouch97

Unread postby Sister Jean » Sat Jun 10, 2017 10:54 am

Hello goldentouch97,

Are you asking if Lucky Mojo carries this herb, also called wild basil, African basil and clove basil? The closest would be the basil that Lucky Mojo carries; it belongs to the same Ocimum genus:

http://herb-magic.com/basil.html

Hope that helps!
ID #1590G
I'm on Hoodoo Psychics!
Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread postby goldentouch97 » Sun Jun 11, 2017 7:14 am

I hav this herb in my garden and i wanna use it,so i ask that for a searching in the " Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic " from catherine yronwode.Thanks for the precious help.
goldentouch97

Unread postby Sean Paul Erie » Wed Jun 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Thank you Miss Aida ! X
Sean Paul Erie

Unread postby amithyzt » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm

I've searched this section of the forum multiple times and have been unable to find a topic for "Mistletoe Questions and Answers"... I also didn't see mistletoe listed on the chart of purposes and uses. There was limited information available in the book and in the online catalog, I was hoping to find a thread with supplemental reading... Have I missed it? Maybe someone could direct me to the appropriate thread?

Thank you in advance...
amithyzt

Unread postby Miss Athena » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:40 pm

Hi amithyzt,

There isn't a thread here on the use of mistletoe as yet. Mistletoe has been revered as far back as the ancient Celts and Germanic people, so its spiritual significance is long-standing. It is believed to have a dual purpose - to eliminate jinxes and ward off evil, and to help bring about love. In either case, it is usually not the dominant ingredient in the mix but does work to help boost the overall effect.

Here is the Lucky Mojo page on mistletoe, as you have likely seen:
http://www.herbmagic.com/mistletoe.html

Are there specific questions you have about its use or purpose?
HRCC #1909G
Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread postby amithyzt » Fri Jul 28, 2017 10:48 pm

Wowza! Thank you for the information, I appreciate it so much! i wasn't searching for anything specific, just hoping for more ideas and information in the form of a few nuggets of wisdom tucked away in older posts.

I read a spell in Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic "To Draw Good Customers and Keep Away Bad Ones" which used a combination of Devil's Shoestrings, Mistletoe, and Cinnamon. I considered adding Boldo & Irish Moss to the mix to give as gifts to business owner friends. It seemed simple enough until I placed my order and forgot half of the ingredients! (Next time-lol) ... Could I simply put these items in a bottle with a prayer and tell them to bury on the premises?

Thanks again, I look forward to your reply!
amithyzt

Unread postby spydacular » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:22 am

Hi everyone I just wanted to ask a question....I think I already know the answer but was wondering if anyone else had a similar experience. I live in the UK so finding stuff out here is a bit difficult......anyway my question is...I did a bit of work for myself in reguards to a break up with my ex....not long after the lights in my home started to flicker...not just in the front room but upstairs too.....I belive this confirmation that the one I asked is now on the job.....has anyone else had this? Or is it just me.

Blessing

James
spydacular

Unread postby Miss Athena » Sat Jul 29, 2017 1:02 pm

HI amithyzt,

Thank you, I'm glad I could help.

Spells for drawing in good customers usually involve sweeping or washing the floors leading into the business from the outside (ritually bringing in paying customers), using cinnamon as a primary ingredient. It is not typically a bottle spell like you describe.

Here is the forum thread on attracting customers to a business. It may give you more ideas on how to help your friends:
spells-to-draw-customers-buyers-to-store-office-shop-sale-t7083.html

You're a lovely person to want to help your friends succeed in their businesses!

I hope this helps. Good luck.
HRCC #1909G
Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread postby amithyzt » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:16 pm

Thank you, Miss Athena!

What a fantastic thread (and packed with great ideas!) I know what I'll be reading tonight. :D Thank you for the link.

They've had steady business, but have also had their share of folks desiring the "five finger discount" and the occasional "fun" customer (the type they'd prefer never return)... I raised an eyebrow when I saw the description of a spell to draw in good customers and repel bad. I assumed the direction to bury it at the front door meant it was to be deployed as a bottle spell, then again, I could be way off.

I've seen a ton of great ideas, some as simple as Fiery Wall of Protection oil anointing the doors and windows to (enter level of complexity here.) I'm starting simple, but won't shy away from jumping in when I have a clearer understanding.

They are truly wonderful people, a huge part of my life and appreciation for all things magical, and my best friends in all the world. I would do darned near anything to see them continue to be successful while chasing off the ne'er do wells. They also won't mind me using them as guinea pigs (lol) while I endeavor to integrate my love of herbs and plants with new methods of using them. I think it's going to be a lot of fun and learning for us all!

I haven't read the thread yet, but I have a feeling it will help tremendously. I'm so glad you pointed it out.
amithyzt

Unread postby Miss Athena » Sat Jul 29, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi amithyzt,

Glad that thread is helpful.

If your friends are having trouble with malignant customers, use Red Brick Dust across their entranceway. It will keep bad people from coming inside.
http://www.herbmagic.com/red-brick-dust.html

From the label on the packet, miss cat offers this advice:
Protection Scrub for Home or Business: On Mondays, Wednesdays, and Fridays, get up before dawn without speaking to anyone and wash your doorstep with your own Urine in a bucket of water. When it dries, sprinkle red brick dust across the doorstep. To make the wash stronger, write the Name of the Captain of Police on paper, burn the Name-Paper to ashes, and add the ashes to your scrub water.

Since your friends sound amenable to spellwork, offer them that suggestion and see if it helps them avoid bad customers.

Good luck.
HRCC #1909G
Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread postby amithyzt » Sun Jul 30, 2017 4:38 pm

Nice! And it's one I hadn't noticed before... I will definitely pass the word along.

In the thread you provided I read of Boldo leaf being used on a candle for much the same purpose and (conveniently) there's some on the way. Next order brick dust is a must! We'll have many options and more than I even imagined.

Sure appreciate your assistance, I'll definitely let you know how things progress. :)
amithyzt

Unread postby Miss Athena » Sun Jul 30, 2017 8:30 pm

Hi amithyzt,

It sounds like you have all the bases covered.

Boldo is a powerful agent against bad people, so that is a wise choice. You could make it into tea and use that either in a wash or for your friends to drink for personal protection. You have many options, and I am happy to see you take such an active interest in your friends' welfare.

Have you considered taking miss cat's course in rootwork? You seem to have a talent for it, so it's something you might want to consider. You would absolutely LOVE the course!

Please keep us posted. Good luck!
HRCC #1909G
Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread postby amithyzt » Mon Jul 31, 2017 6:13 am

You've been a wealth of information, as well as this entire forum and my stack of books... A tea or wash never even crossed my mind, but I love it! Chinese wash is coming, and I think the Boldo leaf mixed with it will be great.

I've spent every spare moment reading thread after thread of the vast knowledge available here. It's exciting and overwhelming at the same time! I don't have any urgent or specific needs (heck, we could all use more money, more blessings, more opportunities, etc.) but I'm definitely hooked! It feels familiar and comfortable to me, and combines many aspects of what I already know and love with alternative practices I haven't heard of before. My herbs were mainly used in the kitchen (with a select few for cleansing and protection) but now I'm seeing them differently and it brings me so much joy I can't even express it! I want to toss herbs everywhere and on everything! Lol. I purchased some oils and saw immediate results with crown of success, I should probably post about it in the testimonials- def good for a laugh and an undeniable example of how quick, easy and effective it proved to be.

You haven't led me astray thus far, and I do believe I would love the course. I find anything Ms. Cat has written like a knock on the head with a 2x4 (in the best way possible!)... Such an insane amount of research and organization. Simply stunning. If the web pages serve as any indication, I wouldn't be disappointed.

I've already recommended my friends carry most of the books I've purchased from Lucky Mojo in their own store. The next logical step is to keep learning and help them to begin making this information and LM products available to a larger population with a need.

Thanks and I'll see you around the forum!
amithyzt

Unread postby JAD82017 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 6:34 pm

Good evening!

I wasn't certain where to post this. I looked up poppy flower but only found one post by Miss Cat from 2009..So I figured "general herb" would be appropriate...

I was wondering how long it takes for poppy flower to give prophetic dreams.. The reason I ask this is because the night after I placed poppy flower under my pillow (last night) I dreamt of my target and I. He was trying to warm me up to him and reconcile. In the dream I went for a walk to clear my head and saw a hawk swooping down & grabbing a red snake... So I was trying to figure out if the dream of my ex and I reconciling was due to the poppy flowers (if they work that quickly) or if Saint Martha was trying to communicate with me since I've been working with her... Thank you!
JAD82017

Unread postby Miss Aida » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:28 pm

Hello, JAD82017 ,

Sometimes it causes prophetic dreams immediately, other times it takes a few days

There's no way that we can tell you who or what prompted the dream

Wishing you the best

take care
PROUD member of AIRR
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby JAD82017 » Thu Sep 07, 2017 7:58 pm

Thank you for replying Miss Aida! I figured you wouldn't be able to tell me who or what prompted the dream but I was curious about whether or not poppy flowers can take immediate affect or not so thank you for answering that. :) Have a great night! Thank you again!
JAD82017

Previous

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork