• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

It is currently Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:33 am

Fire Safety Issues with Candle Magic

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.

Re: Fire Safety Issues with Candle Magic

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Jan 10, 2016 11:35 pm

littlewing,

I know of no religion that requires the burning of candles in the homes of the laity. Even in Judaism, where it is certainly the custom to light a Sabbath candle in the home, exceptions are routinely made for those who are unable to do so.

Remember, hoodoo is Christian African-American folk magic. It is not a religion.

If you belong to a religion that DOES require that lay people must burn candles in the home, you would need to present proof from a member of your clergy.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby MissMichaele » Mon Jan 11, 2016 11:59 am

Pugpaw, first of all, don't BLOW a candle out unless you are ending the work before the candle finishes burning -- say, if you change your mind about doing it. SNUFF it out instead, if you must put it out temporarily. By all means, say a brief prayer from your heart every time you snuff the candle out.

I have a snuffer which looks something like this. The "bell" is riveted to the handle in such a way that it is hinged, and swivels freely. I can lower it down right onto the flame of a vigil light, if I need to -- and if the glass is wide enough.

CAX-SNU-WOLH
Brass Candle Snuffer, Wooden Handle, Long
$4.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

By the way, DO NOT put a vigil light in a pan of water! The difference in temperature between the water and the hot wax will break the glass! Sure, the water will prevent a fire, but you've built way too much drama into your work! If you want fireproof material around the base of the candle, use salt or clean sand. Even kitty litter -- right out of the bag, of course!

Yes, do be vigilant about fire safety. Glass-encased candles are much safer than free-standing candles, unless they get knocked over or unless the flame touches the glass, which can happen if the wick is very crooked. In the latter case, the glass will crack or break, and melted wax may pour out. This is another good reason to burn candles on a fireproof surface or in a bed of sand.

With these extra, insulating safety measures, you should have no fear of vigil lights burning straight through.

Tapers are another story -- that is truly OPEN flame, on a tall, narrow candle that is liable to tip over. It is quite traditional to burn them in sections; see http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html. Scroll down to "Dressing, Marking, Measuring,
Lighting, and Extinguishing Candles."

Good luck,

Miss Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby littlewing » Wed Jan 13, 2016 1:56 pm

Thanks Papa Newt and miss cat. I don't think I have any claim to the right to burn candles. I was just curious if this has come up before. I will just have to rely on MISC and my rootworker.
Thank you Saint Expedite, St. Joseph, and St. Jude
Thank you Miss Aida and Aura
littlewing

Unread postby aniviel » Sun Feb 14, 2016 5:00 am

Thanks for this thread. My whole apartment is carpeted so I wasn't sure if it's "okay" to do my work in the bathroom, the only room where there's barely anything that could catch fire. So now I know it's not only okay, it's actually recommended in my case just to be safe :) I will just sit there by it while it's burning and if I have to leave anything unattempted it'll be on a pan with a bit of water.
aniviel

Paper under vigil candle

Unread postby UniversalForce73 » Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:08 am

Hello:

I will be doing negative work using a vigil candle(glass encased). It will be placed on a large metal cooking pan and located away from anything flammable. Is it unlikely that the paper(s) for incantation etc., placed under the candle will catch fire once the wax burns to the bottom and heats the glass in that portion?

Thank you!
UniversalForce73

Unread postby natstein » Tue Mar 22, 2016 3:34 pm

Hello Universalforce73,

I have never had a petition paper under a glass encased vigil candle catch fire. If you are really concerned I have seen smallish marble circles for sale that are for putting candles on. Find on of those and place the petition under the marble and set your candle on it But honestly I do not think you have anything to worry about.

Peace~

Nathen
natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread postby UniversalForce73 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:19 am

Ok, thanks for taking time out to respond.....
UniversalForce73

Unread postby aniviel » Tue Aug 23, 2016 4:51 pm

I've been putting vigil candles on top of pictures/petitions in my shower, and I only move them to the toilet/sink when I shower in the mornings. My shower is pretty large, surrounded by thick glass.

Right now I have a Bewitching candle burning there. I noticed that candles I leave there always come out slightly sooty at the top. This one is already very sooty. Possibly as well because the weather has been very hot. The glass around the candle (especially at the top) is so so so hot I'm worried it might overheat and explode. There's still about a 1/3 candle to go. Not sure what to do. Would snuffing it out and relighting after a day be a better option?
aniviel

Unread postby Miss Aida » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:41 pm

Hello, lalyil ,

This is normal.

And if you put it out and relight it, the fire will still get as hot as it is now. And, if the glass is cooled and then goes to that temperature right away, you could indeed break the glass. So, it's not recommended

These candles are designed to be heat resistant up to a certain temperature that can sustain heat from candle flames. Bu, not if the glass is cool and then gets hot again because you're changing the molecular composition of the glass

take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Find me on the AIRR website
http://readersandrootworkers.org
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby aniviel » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:52 am

Thanks Miss Aida,

Well I got a bit concerned it'll stain or burn the picture (I've never had a vigil candle turn this hot and sooty before) so I put a plate (which had some remains of a candle burnt for almost the same goal) over the picture then on the plate I put the petition and the vigil, so even if it stains anything it's not that bad.
aniviel

Unread postby imtempel » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:23 pm

I created my own peaceful home candle and put it on the kitchen table. I needed this candle in haste, as my partner and I have been going through emotional issues lately. Today was the second day I lit it and it was going for a few hours and as we were watching a film, out of nowhere I said I was gonna go outside in the backyard and I would be back. Well to get the the backyard you go through the kitchen and as soon as I stepped in there the candle was in flames and if I would've walked in there a minute later it would all be in flames. It was right beside my magic shelves with all of my herbs oils and tools.

I don't know how to interpret this. Cheap candle? Too much oil? Something attacking my practice (since it was beside all of my tools)? It is going to take more than a candle to achieve a peaceful home?

I'm a little shaken up as this just happened.
imtempel

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Sep 02, 2016 4:45 am

Intempel, we don't know how you made the candle, so we cannot comment on the physics or chemistry or your particular combination of wax, herbs, and oils. However, speaking from a magical standpoint, i would suspect stress in the home more than an attack by someone outside the home, unless a reading has indicated an attack.

Good luck to you.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby NickyOberlin89 » Thu May 25, 2017 4:35 am

Thanks! I'll try a metal cooking pan next time.
NickyOberlin89

Alternative to candles

Unread postby Honeybeelight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 5:50 pm

Something like this was asked before. I have big candle soot marks coming out of every air vent in the house. Can’t figure out why, since I’m burning them outdoors in a hurricane lantern. I can’t repaint every time, because it is happening fast and some of my ceilings are 17’ high. I’m halfway through the Unjinxing Kif, but I think I have to stop burning candles. What should I do?
Thank you, St. Michael, for your protection.
Honeybeelight

Unread postby jwmcclin » Fri Nov 24, 2017 7:59 pm

Honeybeelight, it appears you have three loaded questions here, are you asking about the candle burn, the soot, or should you stop based on the soot? Its just not clearly presented here...at least thats my interpretation.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Honeybeelight » Fri Nov 24, 2017 8:58 pm

Should I stop based on the soot? I’m not worried about how the candles are burning just now, and I already have to burn them outside because of my health: it’s just making an almighty mess and I don’t know why. EDIT: I should add that I make an effort to do things exactly as Miss Cat instructs and I’m not looking for excuses or anything like that.
Honeybeelight

Unread postby Miss Aida » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:16 pm

Hello, Honeybeelight,

Yu know what has my alarm going on?

The hurricane lantern. The construction (and the name itself) bothers me I am wondering if this is the cause of the problems

Why don't you change this and see what happens?

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby Honeybeelight » Sat Nov 25, 2017 7:27 pm

Thank you, Miss Aida. I’ll try it. I have to burn the candles outside, and with dry stuff and Santa Ana winds, I worry about setting my house and the rest of the neighborhood on fire. The hurricane lantern could be it, though, or burning vigil lights 24/7. If I get into doing this a lot, I’m gonna go all mini-Deacon and build something out of concrete and cinder blocks!
Honeybeelight

Unread postby Winter_star » Mon Dec 11, 2017 4:16 pm

Cats! They are mischevious and in general have zero respect for altars or fire safety!
Winter_star

Unread postby Miss Aida » Mon Dec 11, 2017 6:21 pm

Hello, Winter_star,

That is very true.

And a GREAT reminder to EVERYBODY to PLEASE KEEP YOUR ANIMALS AWAY FROM ALTARS.

They should never have access to them

Thanks for the reminder!
PROUD member of AIRR
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Previous

• Advertisement
Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells