• Advertisement
Southern-Spirits.com

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 4:38 pm

King James Version of the Holy Bible Questions and Answers

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

Unread postby mysiclady » Thu Jun 11, 2009 1:48 pm

Hello, Everyone

I just wanted to know what using the Scofield bible has something to do with hoodoo. I know that quite a few practioners prefer using it for some reason.Does anyone know why or the purpose that some perfer using this bible?

Appreciate your replys. Thanks.
mysiclady

Re: King James Version of the Holy Bible Questions and Answers

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Jun 11, 2009 7:11 pm

Most everyone i know uses the King James Bible.

The idea that the Scofield Bible (a reference or study Bible that promotes socially conservative Evangelical viewpoints) is somehow "special" in hoodoo is news to me. Where didja hear this?

These two editions of the King James Version of the Holy Bible are Baptist Pew Bibles, and their binding colours match the standard Baptist Hymnal:

BOO-FLS-KJV1
King James Bible, Hardcover, Black
$22.00

BOO-FLS-KJV2
King James Bible, Hardcover, Deep Garnet
$22.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby nagasiva » Fri Jun 12, 2009 7:18 am

Scofield taught a correspondence course in Bible study course, and this course became the basis for his so-called Reference Bible, an annotated study Bible published in 1909. He said that there were to be seven distinct eras between the creation of the Earth and the day of judgment and he explained Bible stories in terms of these eras, which led in part to the popularity of the Scofield Bible among Millennarian Christians in the late 20th century Evangelical churches of the United States. As a political conservative, he also taught that New Testament Christianity is far different than Old Testament Judaism, and, like many ignorant people, he believed that the Jewish religion was a thing of the past, thus seeking to efface it rather than see Christianity co-exist with it.
nagasiva yronwode

Forum Tech Help
forum@luckymojo.com
nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread postby barat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:08 pm

Is it important to use King James Version Bible when ask to pray the psalms in a lucky mojo spell? Or I can use any version? Thank you
barat

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sat Jun 05, 2010 3:15 pm

You can use any version...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby barat » Sat Jun 05, 2010 4:26 pm

Thank you for your response jwmcclin.
Have a good weekend!..
barat

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Sat Jun 05, 2010 11:59 pm

KJV is the best translation, just over all. It is the most lyrical and poetic of the lot, the newer translations are good for some things but if you're looking for poetry, the KJV is the one to go with.

The other translations weren't very common until the late 20th century, so for hoodooing purposes, either King James Version (Protestant) or Douay-Rheims (Catholic) is the best two options. The differences between the two are slim when comparing the Old Testaments, it's just in the New Testaments where things get complicated.
cognitivedissonance

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:39 am

I would personally definitely disagree with the KJV being the best translation. Many things were altered to fit King James' view on things. If you're looking for accuracy in your translations, then avoid the KJV. But if you're just looking for pretty-sounding language, or you're not really concerned with that kind of thing it's fine.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sun Jun 06, 2010 8:36 am

The New Century Version is the easiest to understand; it originally was a children's Bible. The New Jerusalem Bible is an excellent Catholic Bible translated into British English, with the names of God in Hebrew. The New International Version and the Living Bible are also popular.

The Kings James Bible often used because it is in public domain (not copyrighted) and requires no permission to quote, as well as being the Bible that was used in almost every (Protestant) church until fairly recently.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby MissMichaele » Fri Dec 07, 2012 7:34 pm

The King James Bible was also designed "to be read in churches," as a glance at the front matter of any copy will show you. This means it was meant to be poetic, grand, and suitable for performance. These same qualities make it most appropriate for magical works.

Still I use the Revised Standard Version -- a very slightly modernized revision of the King James -- because it is a little less tongue-twisty.

Miss Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Jibrael » Fri Dec 07, 2012 8:37 pm

For reading and research, I prefer the New American or, as Miss Michaele said, the New Revised Standard. The latter was made by a joint team of Protestants, Catholics, and Orthodox scholars, with Jewish scholars collaborating on the Hebrew Bible. In the two seminaries I am applying to enter, both use the RSV as their standard translation in the classroom.

But when doing a working, I prefer the KJV, if for no other reason than because it's the version my ancestors knew (at least the ones from after 1611), and it's the version that rootdoctors traditionally would have used (because, as was said, it would have been what they had).

The Douay was mentioned above. It's a great Middle English translation (from the same time period as the KJV), but the Psalms are totally numbered different, which makes it tricky for using in a working. I know because I tried :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816
Jibrael

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sat Dec 08, 2012 12:10 am

There is a new Bible translation called the Common English Bible. It is the work of Bible scholars from many denominations, including Reform Judaism and uses contemporary American English language that is clear and easy to understand. I keep a copy of it by my bed. CEB Psalm 23:

The LORD is my shepherd. I lack nothing. He lets me rest in grassy meadows; he leads me to restful waters; he keeps me alive. He guides me in proper paths for the sake of his good name. Even when I walk through the darkest valley, I fear no danger because you are with me. Your rod and your staff -- they protect me. You set a table for me right in front of my enemies. You bathe my head in oil; my cup is so full it spills over! Yes, goodness and faithful love will pursue me all the days of my life, and I will live in the LORD's house as long as I live.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Dec 08, 2012 2:09 am

I am very surprised that no one has replied to this question with the obvious response: What Bible do you use in your church? Whatever it is, use that one in your rootwork.

The choice of a Bible is not about rules or what is "best," it is about culture and family traditions -- the family traditions and culture of real, living people. If you are not a member of African American culture, but want to become a part of it, or work within its traditions, don't be asking on the internet -- meet with the culture as best you can, join a church, and read the Bible you are given.

Always remember, we are practicing folkloric magic, not role playing games ("strongest, most powerful") or philology ("most accurate').

I learned on the King James Version in the Black churches i attended and from the preachers and conjure workers and spiritual ladies who taught me, so i stick with that translation of the Bible. It was easy for me, too, as a Jew, to use the King James Bible because until the Jewish Study Bible was published, most Jews used the King James Bible when reading the Tanakh in English, so i already had a copy in my home.

As a matter of personal history, i was taught the complete OPPOSITE of what Devi Spring wrote above. In the mid 20th century, when other editions abounded, i was taught by my Jewish family and by many other Jews that the King James Version was a very accurate translation of the Hebrew Tanakh. The English Haggadahs for Pesach we had used the King James Version, as did our side-by-side (Hebrew/English) rendition of the Tehillim (Psalms).

Here's a modern Jewish scholar's take on the subject of accuracy:

"The cadence, vocabulary, and overall structure of KJV strongly resemble the Hebrew original. Any number of memorable turns of phrases ("tender mercies," Ps. 25.6 and elsewhere) or lingering verbal pictures ("the face of the waters," Gen. 1.2, and "the Lord make his face to shine upon thee," Num. 6.26) we associate with KJV are in fact quite literal renderings of the Hebrew lost in freer translations into English or other modern languages."
-- From "Jewish Translations of the Bible" by Leonard J. Greenspoon in "The Jewish Study Bible" (Jewish Publication Society / Oxford University Press, 2004).

We sell the King James Version of the Holy Bible in the Lucky Mojo shop:

BOO-FLS-KJV1
King James Bible, Hardcover, Black
$22.00

BOO-FLS-KJV2
King James Bible, Hardcover, Deep Garnet
$22.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Tristan » Sat Dec 08, 2012 8:34 am

catherineyronwode wrote:I am very surprised that no one has replied to this question with the obvious response: What Bible do you use in your church? Whatever it is, use that one in your rootwork.

The choice of a Bible is not about rules or what is "best," it is about culture and family traditions -- the family traditions and culture of real, living people. If you are not a member of African American culture, but want to become a part of it, or work within its traditions, don't be asking on the internet -- meet with the culture as best you can, join a church, and read the Bible you are given.

This is golden advice. Thanks also, cat, for describing the experiences of Jews with the King James Version. I would never have thought that it was used for English Haggadahs!

Jibrael wrote:The Douay was mentioned above. It's a great Middle English translation (from the same time period as the KJV), but the Psalms are totally numbered different, which makes it tricky for using in a working. I know because I tried :)

Nowadays, I just use my Orthodox Study Bible (which uses the NKJV for the New Testament) for workings and private study alike. It's a bit hefty, but I love it.

For anyone wondering, the reason why the Douay-Rheims (and the OSB) has a different numbering of the Psalms is that it uses the Septuagint (Greek) numbering of the Psalms, as opposed to the Masoretic (Hebrew) Text used by the King James Version, for example.

You have to be careful sometimes not to tell people to bathe with hyssop while praying Psalm 50, when it should be Psalm 51 according to the King James Version! :D

This is a great thread everyone. Thanks for your contributions!
Tristan

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Jun 21, 2013 1:23 pm

This is our best-selling edition of the King James Version of the Holy Bible:

BOO-FLS-KJVD
Holy Bible, King James Version, gold emb. cover. Doré illlus.
$25.00

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 3:55 am

Even based solely on the inclusion of the Doré illustrations makes this well worth that price. Very beautiful.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sun Jun 23, 2013 6:49 am

Joseph Magnuson wrote:Even based solely on the inclusion of the Doré illustrations makes this well worth that price. Very beautiful.

I may have to add this to my Bible collection. Beautiful cover!
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Prayer Repetition

Unread postby LoveisLove » Mon Jan 06, 2014 4:49 pm

Hi all! I was wondering how many times a prayer was repeated during a spell. Is there a specific number or just say it once? I am a little confused by this, I have heard several different answers.
LoveisLove

Re: Prayer Repetition

Unread postby MissMichaele » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:17 pm

LoveisLove wrote:Hi all! I was wondering how many times a prayer was repeated during a spell. Is there a specific number or just say it once? I am a little confused by this, I have heard several different answers.

It depends on the spell. The Fiery Wall of Protection Spell Kit, for instance, provides materials for a traditional, elaborate protective spell which ends with you saying Psalm 37 thirty-seven times as you cleanse your house.

Most spells call for just one prayer, or a much smaller number than thirty-seven :) and others simply call for you to carry out the actions "while praying."

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread postby AnthonyMansker » Mon Jan 06, 2014 9:13 pm

I agree with Miss Michaele. In some cases, there may be a prescribed amount of repetitions, while in others it is a matter of following your inner guidance. I have recently been experimenting with repetition. Repetition seems to assist me in building and focusing power into the spell work at hand. I recently did some work with several different glass encased candles, each dressed for a different condition. I repeated my prayer/petition and/or psalm over each individual candle 9 times. Nine in and of itself is a powerful number and I really felt at the end of the 9th repetition a sense of completion and victory.

I recommend experimenting with repetition. See what feels right and best for you. Try repeating three times, five times, seven times, nine times, or until you feel enough power has been focused to accomplish the magical task at hand. Then be observant and notice if it makes a difference in the outcome of your workings. ;)

Good Luck!!
Anthony Mansker, #1802 G
AnthonyMansker

Unread postby LoveisLove » Thu Jan 09, 2014 4:02 pm

Thanks guys! Appreciate the help!
LoveisLove

Unread postby papagee_whitemojo » Sun Mar 16, 2014 5:39 pm

Ditto to what Cat said. I have two bibles on the edge of my altar. The one on top is a King James version - it is the wedding bible of my parents from 1963. Below it is my own Bible - a Catholic bible. I was raised in Protestant surroundings but chose Catholicism for myself as an adult. So, both are represented.But, for magical work I use the Catholic Bible. Image
Papa Gee
"You can't practice witchcraft while you look down your nose at it." - Practical Magic
papagee_whitemojo

Unread postby Celt21 » Mon Mar 02, 2015 8:11 pm

It depends on where and how you were raised, whether or not the King James Bible is just a "Protestant" Bible....The Russian Orthodox/Greek Church Priests often recommend this translation to English speaking Parishioners....as you know this is quite similar to the Catholic Church most of you know up until the 12th Century they were, in point of fact, the same Church.

I think with Bibles it is the same as with magick....we all like what is familiar to us and we cling to what we were first taught, even if we evolve. Even after this evolution begins, we may change, but we don't forget. The King James should work fine for anything...it is, after all, the intent of the words....but its all in what a person likes
Thank you St. Michael and St. John the Russian....for everything
Celt21

Unread postby Rue Anh » Fri Oct 30, 2015 3:47 pm

These forums are fantastic! I was just looking for the answer to my question on if the kjv was preferable due to the older translation and Time period. Got my answer....thanks everyone.
Chris Anh (Ti) Vybrenner S.I.# 2098
. .
. .
Rue Anh

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Oct 30, 2015 8:29 pm

miss cookie --

You are most welcome. This forum has been online since 2008 and it is one of the active of the curated and moderated magic forums around. We appreciate the positive feedback.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Hoodoo777 » Sun Mar 27, 2016 6:08 am

If I wanted to use psalms from TLB version of the Bible for hoodoo would they still work?
Hoodoo777

Unread postby Miss Aida » Sun Mar 27, 2016 3:55 pm

Hello, Hoodoo777,

I don't know what TLB means.

I am Catholic and will only work with the Psalms from King James OR an English translation from the Torah.

Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Also find me on Hoodoo Psychics
www.hoodoopsychics.com
LIKE US ON FACEBOOK!
Miss Aida
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo