Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
amithyzt
HRCC Student
Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread post by amithyzt » Tue Sep 12, 2017 6:34 pm

Ms. Cat, I sincerely appreciate the tip! I'll order some right away. Thank you so very much.
HRCC #2131

LuckyJupiter88
HRCC Student

Unread post by LuckyJupiter88 » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:19 pm

I am placing my final order on Monday and scheduling my interview with Miss Cat! I waited too long and I do not know how in the world I completely missed the uncrossing bath crystals. LOL! I am so excited to finally take the next step in my work. Thank you to everyone at Lucky Mojo for all you do.
Student #2128

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Nov 18, 2017 7:43 pm

Hello, LuckyJupiter88 ,

Congrats!

I am excited for you!!
HRCC Graduate #1631

DJR13
HRCC Student

Unread post by DJR13 » Fri Dec 08, 2017 9:37 am

Hello to all,

I have been enrolled into the HRCC and as a student, I am trying to access videos for the course. I was informed by Cat that she post videos up for students to watch. Can I have permission to view this and any other materials of the HRCC? Thank you!!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Dec 08, 2017 11:11 pm

Hello, DJR13,

I will show this post to Nagasiva and he can get you into the group

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Dec 09, 2017 12:59 am

DJR13

You can find it now! I just set you 'Student' so you should have access.
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

LuckyJupiter88
HRCC Student

Unread post by LuckyJupiter88 » Tue Dec 12, 2017 8:01 am

I am in! Just waiting for my course book so I can get started. Talk about ANTICIPATION! Really looking forward to exploring the student forum and this new adventure in learning. Thanks to all.
Student #2128

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Dec 14, 2017 9:25 pm

Hope you got your book! Now you can enter into the special Student's Forum and asj questions about the work, and about the homework.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

LuckyJupiter88
HRCC Student

Unread post by LuckyJupiter88 » Fri Dec 15, 2017 6:35 am

I haven't! I figure the post is backed up with the holidays but I have a good feeling about it arriving today. I am SO excited and looking forward to participating. Thank You!
Student #2128

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:58 pm

Hello, LuckyJupiter88 ,

Yes, the post office here is in the same predicament.

An overnight delivery service took 3 days to get to me. UGH!

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Sapmoss
HRCC Student

Unread post by Sapmoss » Fri Dec 22, 2017 9:19 pm

I just received such a lovely package just in time for Christmas...Miss Cat's Correspondence course! Cant wait to get started ...and as luck would have it time off over the holidays to dive in! Would Nagasiva be able to add me to the student forum?
I'm not the most technically savvy person, but I'll try to figure it out...checking what to do next time I sign in...

Much love and Merry Christmas to all on the Forum...
L

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Dec 23, 2017 7:50 am

Laurel:
"Would Nagasiva be able to add me to the student forum?"

Thanks for also contacting me in Facebook. Done! :D
nagasiva yronwode

AnxtQfu

Unread post by AnxtQfu » Thu Mar 22, 2018 12:58 pm

Hello, I'm trying to see how past purchases are calculated, and if any of the required books need to be purchased through luckymojo.com, I own a few of the required reading materials but they were purchased through Amazon.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 22, 2018 6:33 pm

Hello, AnxtQfu --

Previous purchases appear in our database, which goes back to 1998. Purchasing the required books through Amazon is fine -- some people send us a photo of the books, which we find amusing! The products must be purchased from Lucky Mojo.

If you are interested in my course, then the next time you order any of the required materials, just add a note in the message area saying that you wish to be marked as a "prospective student." There is no obligation to become a student, but if you mention that, then any items you order from my shop will be check-marked as meeting the course requirements for materials.

Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by catherine yronwode

The Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by Catherine Yronwode:

The cost is $2.00 per lesson: $104.00 for 52 lessons in the form of a 432-page hardcover clothbound book. Each book is personally inscribed with the student's name and signed by catherine yronwode. You must meet certain requirements as a customer and you must be interviewed by cat before being able to purchase this course book.

BOO-XCC-HRCC
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by catherine yronwode
$104.00

You can read the entire list of required purchases, both books and spiritual supplies, here:

https://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html
catherine yronwode

AnxtQfu

Unread post by AnxtQfu » Fri Mar 23, 2018 4:31 am

Thank you Cat, and I'm glad to have found it! May I also ask if the products can be purchased together under one account for the family course option? May I also ask an age you'd recommend to start a child? I have a 7 year old daughter who has an interest and I want to start nurturing it as soon as possible, I know as a 10 yr old I didn't have much comprehension but I also didn't have anyone guiding or instructing me.

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Sun Mar 25, 2018 11:11 am

Quick question. Thinking about taking this course since I know I have strong energy.

1) How long does it take to receive?

2) What’s included?

3) Does it teach everything from A-Z?

4) Will it allow me to become a certified root worker?

5) After completion will it allow me to be a moderator?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 25, 2018 6:09 pm

Hello, Dazed_Confused

1) After you are accepted into the program and order your book, it is sent by regular postal mail, so, maybe 5 days. But you cannot just order it; i have to discuss it with you by phone and see if you are a good fit for the program.

2) See http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

3) In combination with my "public" books, i think it covers a lot of territory, yes.

4) If you successfully turn in all 8 pieces of homework, you will receive a certification of graduation. I do not certify that students are ready for professional work, but many consider it a good first step on the path to professional spiritual practices.

Good luck!

5) Being a moderator at the forum is limited to graduates from my course, but not all graduates want to become moderators.
catherine yronwode

ELTURC0
HRCC Student

Unread post by ELTURC0 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:04 pm

Miss Cat,
I have a question regarding one of the requirements. If you would please clarify this, I will appreciate it.
My questions is:
Does Fiery Wall of Protection Sachet Powder qualify for the sachet powder for repelling/harming requirement? Please let me know.
Have a great weekend!
Regards.
HAIL JUPITER & SATURN!!!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:24 pm

ELTURC0 --

Hi, i am often asked that question, and the answer is no. Fiery Wall of Protection is a protective product. It sets a boundary wall. It does not repel and it is not aggressive. Think of it as an electrified fence -- it is quite passive unless someone runs into it, and then they get a shock.

Compare that to aggressively repelling products

These cause harm: Crossing, Destruction, Damnation, DUME, Revenge, and Jinx

This causes people to move: Hot Foot

The ingredients in such products are very different than in Protection or Fiery Wall of Protection. The idea is to get you, the student, to understand the composition of the various types of products, based on what they accomplish.

Hope to see you as a student soon!
catherine yronwode

ELTURC0
HRCC Student

Unread post by ELTURC0 » Fri Mar 30, 2018 1:42 pm

Miss Cat,
Thank you very much for your detailed explanation! It makes a lot of sense. Likewise,I look forward to being your student!
Have a great weekend!
Regards.
HAIL JUPITER & SATURN!!!

RevJames
Forum Moderator

Unread post by RevJames » Wed May 09, 2018 11:28 am

I'm usually pretty good at finding answers for myself (and others as is evident of my forum activities) but I seem to be hitting a brick wall here!

I contacted and spoke with Yosé, who was very nice and patient with answering my questions, about checking my orders to make sure my past orders, and next order will help to fulfill the requirements for the correspondence course. I was told to email about my situation and received an email back that my orders seem to be under my husbands name (which his name is on the card we use for placing orders however the LM account used was my own, the next order can be placed on a card with my name if absolutely necessary.) and I would receive an email when It was all sorted out (I had asked about a package we received as a 'thank you' for pointing out a copyright thief and if those products counted, to which I was told if there was an invoice and it could be found that It would. If I need to order products of the same type 'love, money, protection oil' then that is fine. I would just like to make sure my next order will meet or exceed the requirements.)

I know the store and the church are very busy which is why I try not to call the shop or church but rather email and I sent one last month thinking maybe my other got lost in the mix, though it has been 2 months since I last received an email.

My husband and I are very eager to set up our interview with Ms Cat and just want to ensure our ducks are in a row. Any suggestions as to how best to proceed without being too spammy with emails or tying up the phone lines at the store/church would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!
Matthew 17:20 | Student #2148G

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed May 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Ah, Rev James! Thanks for touching base!

I do two course calls per week. You and your husband may share your products except for the glass bottle and red flannel bag -- you will each need one of those for the homework -- and you will each need a course book, but the second (spousal) copy is at a reduced rate.

It is not "spammy" to ask -- and i am very pleased to see your interest.

Yose can handle the matter, but it might be faster to call me directly, due to the complex ordering history. I will probably be at the Church around 4:00 PM on Thursday or Friday. I will be using that office to tag books for Amazon, and will try to pick up. If i don;t answer, someone will, and they will hunt me down somewhere on the property. We'' go through the history and get your ordering histories straightened up.
catherine yronwode

RevJames
Forum Moderator

Unread post by RevJames » Thu May 10, 2018 9:35 am

Thank you Cat for your speedy response!

About the x2 flannel bag and bottle, I didn't even think about that and that's part of the reason I wanted to speak with someone. Thank you!

I was worried of being a nag! :-P

I know all of you are immensely busy and have various jobs around there so I appreciate you attempting to make time so quickly (as i'm eager to order the new books as well with my next order!) I will do my best to get a call to you today (I realize you'll probably see this after) but if not I definitely will Friday (as my husband will be off work tomorrow for us both to be available.)

Thank you again!
Matthew 17:20 | Student #2148G

Cindylouwho808

Unread post by Cindylouwho808 » Fri Jun 15, 2018 4:15 pm

Hi. Please disregard this question if it has already been addressed. I'm no where near ready to inquire about registering for the correspondence course, but I have looked at some of the requirements. My question regarding the course is , do students have to learn crossing spells, jinx and that sort? I know it sounds silly , but it was a question I felt compelled to ask. Thank you.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:49 pm

Cindylouwho808 --

That is a good question, and the answer is yes. You do not have to work such spells to graduate from my course, but you do have to learn them, because this is a course in an entire set of cultural byways. I am teaching African American folk magic as a whole, and such spells are part of the whole, along with blessings and love spells and prosperity spells and healing spells.

Additionally, aside from my mission to teach what i was taught and thus to pass it to the next generations intact, i also would add that in my experience, if you have never learned how to curse, you will not fully know what it looks like when someone (including yourself) is cursed. A doctor learns about fevers and sepsis and broken bones in order to be able to treat them.

Good luck -- but i also feel this course may not be to your liking -- and that is fine, because you can read hundreds of web pages and book pages i have written and that have been written by my colleagues and associates.
catherine yronwode

Cindylouwho808

Unread post by Cindylouwho808 » Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:31 am

Thank you so much for your response Catherine. Your absolutely correct in that if a practitioner is not familiar with what these spells look like (curse,hex,jinx), they wouldn't be able to properly diagnose such a condition for themselves or others. I never even bothered to look at from this perspective of thinking. I have always felt drawn to conjure, but have struggled greatly with how I was taught to view such things. I do see myself becoming a practitioner at some point, but I feel that I first must answer questions within myself. I hope that makes sense. As some say, when the student is ready, the teacher will appear. I have the utmost respect for how you choose to pass along the things you were taught as it shows great respect and reverence to those who taught you. Thank you for providing a much needed perspective in learning all aspects of rootwork and conjure. 🙏

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jun 17, 2018 11:49 am

This is just a simple reminder to all Forum users who are also current students or past graduates of the Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course:

You probably know this already, because i tell it to every prospective student during our interview time together, but ... once you sign up as a student you will have access to the private student / graduate portion of the Forum, where more than 7,000 posts from the year 2003 to the present reside, most of them dealing with material published in the course book or contingent to the homework.

If you are a student or graduate, then your Forum permissions should have been set so that when you log in, you can see, read, and post within the private sub-forum.

If you are a student or graduate and CANNOT see, read, or post within the private sub-forum, please contact nagasiva yronwode and ask him to help.

At the present time, the best way to contact him would either be through his personal account at Facebook (if you are his friend there) or through this Forum message thread:

Trouble Posting / Cannot Post
trouble-posting-cannot-post-t102.html

Hoping to see all of my new students and my old, as well as the past graduates in the students and grads sub-forum!
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jun 23, 2018 2:11 pm

Hi, folks!

If you signed up for my Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course from 2003 - 2012, the only "Required Reading" you were given was my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic," published in 2002. It is BOO-GRI-HHSC in softcover or BOO-GRI-HHHC in hardcover and it relates to most of the lessons, but specifically to lessons 11 and, and to homeowrk 6.

You were also required to read my online free book, "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice," which has been written and uploaded periodically since 1994.

When you signed up for the course, i might also have sent you whatever free shop flyers i had that touched on specific issues, such as candle work, how to use oils, and so forth.

In 2013 i co-wrote, edited, and published "The Black Folder" -- a collection of all our previous shop flyers, plus the flyers that had been written by graduates of the course for presentation at Hoodoo Heritage Festival workshops from 2008 - 2013. This book was added to the "Required Reading" list for the course. It is BOO-GRI-BKFO and it consists of short articles that relate in one way or another to most of the lessons.

In 2013, i wrote "The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic" -- and this book was added to the "Required Reading" list for the course. It is BOO-GRI-AHCM and it relates to lessons 16, 17, and 43.

In 2015, i wrote "Paper In My Shoe" -- and this book was added to the "Required Reading" list for the course. It is BOO-GRI-PIMS and it relates to lessons 31, 32, and 33, and to homework 5.

In 2018, i wrote "The Art of Making Mojos" -- and this book was added to the "Required Reading" list for the course. It is BOO-GRI-MOJO and it relates to lessons 19 and 46, and to homework 8.

In addition to these "Required Reading" books, my husband and i have published many other books on magic and divination. As the editor of this extensive line of titles that describe and teach many aspects of African-American folk magic, i would like to recommend the following titles. All of these books were written by trusted colleagues who have taken my course, graduated, and moved into professional spiritual practices of their own, and all of the material has been edited by me. The following books are not required reading, but they developed from and relate back to specific lesson-chapters in my course:

• Hoodoo Spiritual Baths by Aura Laforest is BOO-GRI-HSPB -- and it relates to lessons 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7.

• Deliverance by Khai Armand is BOO-GRI-DELI -- and it relates to lessons 9 and 41.

• This Amazing Book by Sunrae Products Company is BOO-BOT-TAMB -- and it relates to lesson 11 and to homework 6.

• Legends of Incense, Herb, and Oil Magic by Lewis de Claremont is BOO-GRI-LIHO -- and it relates to lessons 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, and 31, and to homework 6.

• Hoodoo Shrines and Altars by Miss Phoenix LeFae is BOO-GRI-HSAA -- and it relates to lessons 16 and 17.

• Hoodoo Honey and Sugar Spells by Deacon Millett is BOO-GRI-HHSS -- and it relates to lessons 22 and 39.

• Hoodoo Food! by The Ladies Auxiliary of MISC is BOO-GRI-HOFO -- and it relates to lesson 30.

• Cash Box Conjure by Miss Phoenix LeFae is BOO-GRI-CASH -- and it relates to lessons 20 and 40.

• Hoodoo Return and Reconciliation Spells by Deacon Millett is BOO-GRI-HRRS -- and it relates to lessons 38 and 39.

• The Sporting Life by Professor C. D. Porterfield is BOO-GRI-SPOR -- and it relates to lesson 40.

• Cursing and Crossing by Miss Aida is BOO-GRI- CURS -- and it relates to lesson 42.

• Destroying Relationships by Miss Aida is BOO-GRI-DEST -- and it relates to lesson 42.

• Hoodoo Bible Magic by Miss Michaele and Professor C. D. Porterfield is BOO-GRI-HBIM -- and it relates to lesson 44.

• A Deck of Spells by Professor C. D. Porterfield is BOO-GRI-ADOS -- and it relates to lesson 49.

• Throwing the Bones by catherine yronwode is BOO-DIV-BONE -- and it relates to lesson 49.

• Bones, Shells, and Curios by Michele Jackson is BOO-DIV-BSAC -- and it relates to lesson 49.

• Crystal Magic by Rev. Dr. Jon Saint Germain is BOO-GRI-CRYM -- and it relates to lesson 49.

• Lithomancy by Rev. Dr. Jon Saint Germain is BOO-DIV-LITH -- and it relates to lesson 49.

To order these books at the best price, look for our "Baker's Dozen Special" on this page

Lucky Mojo Publishing - Baker's Dozen Special Discount
http://www.luckymojo.com/luckymojopubli ... akersdozen
catherine yronwode

DannyN

Unread post by DannyN » Wed Jul 11, 2018 12:49 am

I will surely consider enrolling for this curse in due time.
But the issue is that I live in Africa. How do you reconcile :
Sending over assignments
Mailing finished assignments to you

There may seem to be obvious bottlenecks here

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 20, 2018 11:58 am

DannyN

Unless you have a trans-shipper, it would be impossible for you to take the course from a nation to which we do not ship. The prerequisites include a large quantity of specific herbs, oils, incenses, powders, bath crystals, minerals, roots, and books -- with a total retail value of about $200.00, to be purchased in at least four lots, over a four-month (or longer) time span. After that, there is an interview (no problem, regardless of location), and then the course book itself must be shipped.
catherine yronwode

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 5:22 pm

I was thinking about signing up, but I have an issue I can no longer burn incense because smoke makes me really sick. It said we are required to purchase charcoal. I have purchased many incense already.Also I cannot purchase anymore incense it said one for negativity or something. I’m having trouble using what I have many unopened. It’s very unfortunate I get sick from smoke because they smell really good. Is there a way around that?

I have the Black Folder book already and Cashbox. Also I would like the Herb and Root Magic, but hardcover with my name on it if I sign up.

As in requirements for repelling products I have Break Up oil, and Destruction, and Confusion already. Will this get me in?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:34 pm

Hello, Pyromancer.

The charcoal is to burn resin incense. You may burn it outdoors and not breathe the smoke. I just want you to see and understand what it is -- and to see why lumps of unburned resin incense and the unburned powder instances are sometimes used in mojo hands or to stuff dolls. This course is very thorough in is historical approac, and there is a reason for everything you should buy.

The required books do include The Black Folder and Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic -- also Paper in My Shoe, The Art of Hoodoo Candle Magic, and The Art of Making Mojos.

The oils you named are all suitable "negative or repelling" oil. You will also need negtive or repelling incense, sachet power, and bath crystls.

Take your time and buy what you feel comfortable with.
catherine yronwode

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 6:38 pm

How much is the course after I make these purchase? It said I have to buy CD’s as well? Does things like Van Van, Block Buster, Jinx Killer, Road Opener, etc count as repelling? What about Protection powder is that repelling? So basically repelling is a product that takes something away like bad luck or blockages? I’m more into those products than negative dark ones

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 20, 2018 7:15 pm

Pyromancer

You can read all about the course requirements and the cost of the course, as well as the free apprenticeship for graduates, here:

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

Repelling or negative products cause harm or sorrow, repelling products push people or spirits away. Road opener does neither. But it is also not attracting or drawing. It is a way-opener. The reason i want you to have both drawing and repelling items is so that you can experiment with them, learn about their scents, vibrational energy, and experiment with them.
catherine yronwode

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Fri Jul 20, 2018 9:08 pm

I’m interested in Lucky 13. I had the oil but it all leaked out didn’t even get to use it. Is it considered repelling?

Can the shop also tell me what I have left to purchase before I can take the course?

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Mon Jul 30, 2018 9:53 am

pyromancer,

Lucky 13 is lucky -- it draws luck. So, no, it is not a repelling oil or a cursing oil.

You can call the shop or email any time and ask that a list of your prior purchases be sent to you so that you will know what you still need before having your interview and enrolling.

Blessings.
nagasiva yronwode

Rev Ernest
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Rev Ernest » Mon Jul 30, 2018 4:20 pm

Pyromancer,

The person who organizes Miss Cat's course interviews is Yosé. You can call during business hours and ask for her on any day except Sunday and Monday, which are her days off. She will get you a list of what you have ordered and what you still need, and if you are good to go, she will set up an appointment for you to talk to Cat.
Rev. Ernest, HRCC Grad #0891, MISC Deacon,
Facebook Fridays! Admin, Online LMCCo Catalogue Team

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Mon Aug 27, 2018 11:06 am

I just wanted to say "thank you!" to all who asked questions and gave answers in this thread :). I've been a customer of Lucky Mojo's since 2015, but have just recently gotten very excited about wanting to qualify to take the course, and have been Purchasing with a Purpose, if you will.

Thanks to Miss Cat for your patience explaining the repelling/negative stuff to us newbies, too!

I really appreciate all the time everyone puts into helping guide people who are really interested and ready to rock in the right direction :).
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Thank you St. Joseph, Michael, & Raphael!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Aug 30, 2018 11:55 am

You are very welcome. We aim to please and always like to know when we have hit the bullseye.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:54 pm

I've been looking through the site trying to get my ducks in a row, and realized I have one more question that I don't think has been answered here.

Would black salt be something you could use in a protection mojo bag? I'm trying to decide which mineral would be best, and I've never worked with black salt before (so thought it might be a good one to sniff and handle), but wanted it to be appropriate. If it's not, I'm happy to get some pyrite, loadstones, etc, which I know would suit (for a mojo, in general).

Thanks again for all the help! :)
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Rev Ernest
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Rev Ernest » Tue Sep 04, 2018 11:06 pm

Salt will disolve it it gets damp or wet. It is not the most stable mineral for a mojo hand.

When I took the course many years ago, I made my mojo with Lodestone grit. I also used the Lodestone grit to make a Jack Ball during the apprenticeship.
Rev. Ernest, HRCC Grad #0891, MISC Deacon,
Facebook Fridays! Admin, Online LMCCo Catalogue Team

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Wed Sep 05, 2018 5:41 am

That is a great point I hadn't thought about!

Thank you, Rev. Ernest! :)
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Sep 11, 2018 1:42 pm

I decided to go with lodestone, and have a big ol' batch of awesome LM products coming my way! :D So, so excited to handle and smell and play with them all, and then (hopefully), set up a time sometime soon to speak with Miss cat about enrolling.

Nervous and very excited!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Sep 11, 2018 8:11 pm

I look forward to it as well. Now, i hope you recall, it is four months that i have to have interacted with you before i schedule an interview. I have been come at so suddenly, so often, that i decided, a number of years ago, to take it slow and easy. Four invoices, big or small, and four months, til we get to know one another. I hope this okay with you.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 5:35 am

Ah, that makes total sense :). I thought we'd needed to be a customer making purchases for over four months, but I get that, and completely understand!

Thank you for all your help already through the forum. I know we've only been interacting a short while, but it's already been a pleasure! :)

Thanks for all that you do!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2018 8:37 am

Thanks for understanding, FiachnaRose.

Hang out around here a while and get to know the other folks who have taken the course. Their names are colour-coded, so you can recognize them when they post:

Black - Student
Blue - Graduate
Pink - Graduate and Apprentice
Navy - Graduate and member of Hoodoo Psychics
Purple - Graduate and member of the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers
Green - Graduate (and perhaps more than one other of the previous) plus Forum Moderator
Red - Graduate (and more than one other of the previous) plus System Administrator

Try to connect with some of those folks and friend them on Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter, too -- not to hit them up for free readings or advice, but to see what they post about their practice of rootwork (some do, some do not) and to try to connect with local practitioners in addition to grazing the internet.

I look forward to getting to know you.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:28 am

Thanks so much, Miss cat! :)

I'd never thought about reaching out to the folks here on Facebook, but that's a great idea, and I'll do that. I'm terrible with social media, but I'd love to connect with other people interested in rootworking and conjure.

I'd checked into people locally first, hoping to find a little community here in Portland, OR, but to my dismay all we seem to have (out in the open, at least), are Wiccans and eclectics. I actually recently started going to a black Baptist church in my area, hoping to meet some like-minded folks, and make some new friends :). You never know when you'll meet someone who's granny taught them all about "that stuff!"

Thank you for the tips! I look forward to getting to know you as well!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:18 am

Hi, FiachnaRose --

There is a reason you will not find many black practitioners of conjure in Portland, Oregon. It is not that they are not "out in the open," either. According to the latest US Census, self-identified "White" people make up 87% of Oregon's population and self-identified "Black or African American" people make up only 2.2%. We know that, due to the history of slavery, the percentage of Black people is highest in Southern, formerly pro-slavery states, and gradually diminishes as one moves West. But compare Oregon with the most recent census reports -- a national percentage of 13% "Black or African American" people, or neighboring California's 6.5% Black or African American population -- and you will see that Oregon is a statistical anomaly.

So, ask yourself the next questions:

How did Oregon get that way?

Did black folks just decide that they didn't like the beautiful climate, fertile valleys, rushing rivers, and magnificent forests of Oregon?

Or were they somehow excluded from entering the state?

Please read up on Oregon's shameful history of racial exclusion. Here are some articles to get you started:

Black Exclusion Laws in Oregon
https://oregonencyclopedia.org/articles ... 5qoT4UflyQ

Oregon black exclusion laws
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oregon_bl ... usion_laws

The Racist History of Portland, the Whitest City in America
https://www.theatlantic.com/business/ar ... and/492035

I think that after sitting with this history and considering its implications, you will understand why the relative absence of conjure shops in Portland has little to do with Oregon's Black practitioners feeling reluctant to be "out in the open" about folk magic, but a lot to do with a history of systemic racism in Portland.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:33 am

Thank you for this. I've only recently sort of had my eyes opened to the racial reality here, i.e. the basically forced migration of black folks from their homes in North Portland to the East, away from their churches and community centers, shops, etc. And, like you said, that's only scratching the surface :(.

I have also heard recently that people have been actively leaving because of these issues, as well as treatment by the local P.D. There's an exodus happening. It's a mess, and it's absolutely our loss. And, of course, many white folks here turn a blind eye and point to their "BLM" bumpersticker, like they aren't participating in the gentrification that's a massive part of the problem.

I will read more and learn, and, like you said, sit with that. It's also my goal to be of service to the community that's still here, as best I can. That's part of why I'm so interested in learning about conjure, not only because of my family's longstanding southern roots and the fact that it "feels" right to me, but because I feel like if I can help people that feel ostracized here, I'd very much like to.

Anyway, thank you very much for the links! I'm just beginning my learning on the subject, and am very grateful!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 10:42 am

Goddamn, I did not know about the actual Exclusion Laws! :( Ack!

Thank you again!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:03 am

FiachnaRose --

Yep, they may not teach the history of the Black Exclusion Laws in Oregon's public schools, but the demographic results are there for all to see.

Your seeking out and joining a Black Baptist church is a measure of your regard for the cultural roots of hoodoo, and i appreciate that greatly.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 11:10 am

Yep, they definitely skipper that part, but it's definitely making everything sort of snap into place in my brain, knowing that.

And thank you, Miss cat! I definitely want to be a part of and learn from/love on the people I hope to be of service to. And like yoyou've said before, if you're a guest in someone's house, you'd better say "Amen" when they say grace! I definitely try to take that to heart.
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

ScorpioKate

Unread post by ScorpioKate » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:08 pm

Hi FiachnaRose!

I live in a very tiny farm town about a half hour South of you :). I've been unofficially practicing Hoodoo around here for about 10 years or so and I can help you out with information and with finding who you need to find around here. You won't find anyone in Portland who will talk about it, exactly as Miss cat said, and for the reasons she said as well. This actually made me admire Miss cat a thousand times more, because those things she told you, are only learned if someone persistently looks for the information. It's well hidden, as you've come to find out. I only learned about it because my best friend for the last 15 years is Black and I'm Hispanic and while we've both experienced or seen racism toward ourselves and/or family members.. Her experiences were different. It took us until we were college room mates before we ever thought to research it and, Oh my God, what we found was nauseating. But there are a few black practitioner communities here and there. You'll find them more readily if you know where to shop. As far as churches, I've found two in the entire state of Oregon that have somewhat of a Hoodoo community, but one was on Mt. Hood (so not easily accessible) and one was in far SE Oregon (also not easily accessible, but because of distance and no facilities nearby).

I don't know how to find you, but I'll look around on Facebook. I'm really good at finding people, and usually that's creepy and frowned upon but once in a blue moon, it proves useful to someone other than myself :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2018 6:19 pm

FiachnaRose and ScorpioKate --

About 17 people from Portland, Oregon, have enrolled in my course and 3 of them have graduated. If you sign up for the course, you will have access to their names and the email addresses (but not the street addresses) they had when they signed up, or more recently, if they stayed in touch with me over the years. They may be willing to share their knowledge with you.
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Thu Sep 13, 2018 9:40 pm

ScorpioKate, thanks for the info and for reaching out! I'm Fia Rose on Facebook, and would love to connect.

My cousins are latino and asian, and growing up I remember my male cousins always being hassled by the police for zero reason. My cousin Armando was stopped by the cops when he was 14 and riding his bike in our quiet neighborhood...because they assumed he'd stolen it.

I'm always grateful to learn about other people's experiences, because it's so, so easy to go through life with blinders on without even realizing they're there.

I'm glad to meet you, and excited to (hopefully) meet those graduates from the area someday! :)
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Rose_joy

Unread post by Rose_joy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 7:25 pm

I have just signed up for the Correspondence course!!! Looking forward to my book!!! and Learning....I will also be driving up on Saturday from Bay Area to check out the store, and perhaps meet few people.

I am excited!! :-D

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:14 pm

Hello, Rose_Joy,

I wish i knew who you were, but your user-name doesn't ring a bell and i can't find anyone in my database who has the email you used to sign up here. I do remember your posts here recently, and i do not recall getting to know a prospective student with that life situation.

However, if you are a student of mine, please contact nagasiva on Facebook or via email, as would have been explained to you when we had our pre-course interview, and let him know your student number so you can post your introduction in the private student group here at the forum and get your Student Practitioner avatar. Thanks.

See you on Saturday.
catherine yronwode

Rose_joy

Unread post by Rose_joy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:35 am

Ms. cat, I just bought the course online 3 days ago. I have not started yet, I am only looking forward to next steps and start the course.

After the course has been purchased, I thought I’ll get to speak with you to get admitted etc.

I have some of your books as well, I am following your guidance in them. I also read tarot card and listen to you show in podcast. I really enjoy it!!

I am sorry for misunderstanding that you thought I was already a student, I am not. But I am looking forward to it, since I paied for it online. Hope this helps!!! You can check the order for 1 course under intials N K to Fremont, Ca shipping.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 pm

Rose_joy --

Prospective students cannot actually buy the course book until i interview them and we agree on terms and conditions. The order button will work, but the card won't be charged. I only enroll students whom i know by name and have spoken with and developed a connection to. Have you made all of the required purchases? Are we friends on Facebook? If not, try me for friendship is a good way to start. Thanks!
catherine yronwode

Rose_joy

Unread post by Rose_joy » Fri Sep 28, 2018 9:04 pm

Ms Cat

I went on your facebook page, however I cannot send you a friends request. However, I have sent request to follow you on FB.

I will be visiting tomorrow to your shop, hope to met you then. Thanks!

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”