Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Hyssop Herb and Hyssop Bath Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
Lovemydogs
Re: Hyssop Herb and Hyssop Bath Questions and Answers

Unread post by Lovemydogs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 3:53 am

Hello,

Thank You Catherine. I will order some rue from you but I will take a Hyssop bath in the meantime.

Lovemydogs

Unread post by Lovemydogs » Tue Mar 15, 2016 6:48 pm

Hello Miss Aida,

I asked if I was suppose to do the hyssop bath for 2 days because there is enough in the little bag of hyssop that I purchased for about 2 days and I have already had one hyssop bath a few hours ago. I actually have to walk to the crossroads to dispose of the first bath's water but I plan to do that tomorrow morning. So my question was- am I supposed to take the Hyssop bath for 2 days in a row? (so that I end up finishing all of the hyssop in the little bag).

Thank You. ;)

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Mar 15, 2016 11:23 pm

Hello, Lovemydogs ,

No.

One bath before you start a spell and one bath when you have finished the spell.

Hyssop is for forgiveness so, if you're doing negative work, then this is what you do with the hyssop.

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Lovemydogs

Unread post by Lovemydogs » Wed Mar 16, 2016 3:34 am

Hi Miss Aida,

So I wasn't doing any negative works so I guess I am finished. I think I will do a 13-Herb bath now because of the Rue in it.

Thank You.

yuma

Unread post by yuma » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:42 am

Hello !!! Good people Good morning !Please I want to know which day of the week is best to start Hyssop bath.my order just arrive today.But I'm curious to know if there is any specific day of the week to start the bath.((b)can i use the sea salt and rosemary leaf I have in my kitchen and add to Hyssop.
(c)can I do the uncrossed powder spell same day I'm doing Hyssop bath or after I complete my bath
(d)I read a post here that made mention of spring or rain water,as it is my first cleansing is it mandatory
.because for me it is my first time of doing herb bath.
I live in a country where I don't know where to get spring water and even difficult to get rain water.
Please hope there is another option.thanks
hello everyone! my name is yuma,living in malaysia i am new to this site,

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Jul 27, 2016 8:12 pm

Hello, Yuman,

I will answer each question after the question:

But I'm curious to know if there is any specific day of the week to start the bath. -It ought to be taken immediately after your spell work. So, it doesn't matter

can i use the sea salt and rosemary leaf I have in my kitchen and add to Hyssop.-It's really not necessary

can I do the uncrossed powder spell same day I'm doing Hyssop bath or after I complete my bath-After you completely our bath

I read a post here that made mention of spring or rain water, as it is my first cleansing is it mandatory-It's not necessary or mandatory. I just use regular water that comes from my bathtub faucet

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Jul 28, 2016 8:30 pm

Just remember, it is ALWAYS a good idea to cleanse with hyssop after performing negative spells!

HER-HYS-LEAF
Hyssop Herb
$3.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
http://www.herbmagic.com/hyssop.html
HRCC Graduate #1631

oreomcfluffy

Unread post by oreomcfluffy » Thu Sep 15, 2016 2:58 am

I don't have a bathtub, and from what I understand this bath is meant to be used to 'wash' away as opposed to staying in it to soak.

Is it alright then, if I use a pail to contain the infusion of hyssop and rue and a small bucket to pour the j fusion over me to wash away any negativity, etc?

Thank you,
Oreo

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Thu Sep 15, 2016 6:15 pm

Hello oremcfluffy,

The ancestors we can thank for these spiritual cleansing practices usually didn't have bathtubs either. Do you have a shower stall? If so, you can have your hyssop bath tea in a pail, like you mentioned, and just set it on the floor in the shower while you use a smaller cup to scoop up the water and pour it over you. For more information about spiritual bathing, check out this page:

http://www.luckymojo.com/baths.html

Good luck to you.
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

loyal_stranger

Unread post by loyal_stranger » Thu Oct 27, 2016 6:20 pm

So.... probably a dumb question. But I was told to cleanse myself with Hyssop tea. I did some reversing work tonight so I felt like it was a good opportunity to do that. I made the tea and drank about half of it (with honey and lemon) before I was looking online for how else to use it and realized I'm supposed to put the tea in the bath or a floor wash, not necessarily drink it. Boy, I wish I had seen that beforehand, I am not tea person and it was awful haha. Anyway so I still have half this mug of tea left, could I use it in my bath in the morning? It has honey and lemon in it is my only concern. Thanks!

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Thu Oct 27, 2016 8:41 pm

Hello loyal_stranger,

Some people do drink a little hyssop tea as part of spiritual bathing with hyssop, to clean inside as well as outside. You didn't hurt anything by drinking it. I'd say to mix up a new batch of herb tea and use that in your bath if you're worried about getting sticky.

Good luck!

RKGomes

Unread post by RKGomes » Thu Dec 29, 2016 10:19 pm

Can someone kindly post the entirety, or portion of the Psalm required during the Hyssop cleansing bath. I have been looking for it in this forum and can't seem to find it. Thanks in advance.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Dec 29, 2016 11:36 pm

Hello, RKGomes,

here you go:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/Psalms_51

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

RKGomes

Unread post by RKGomes » Fri Dec 30, 2016 12:31 pm

Awesome! Many thanks!!

RedAngel

Unread post by RedAngel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:26 am

Hi, I thought I read somewhere in the forum about taking a hyssop bath but through your shower head. I don't understand. Do u attach a cloth with the herbs to the showerhead for the water to flow through? Like an oversized tea bag around the shower head?

Also, if I can't​ dispose of the remains at the same Cross roads, and I shouldn't be going through the crossroads ever again....Where am I taking this water? There's no way I'm taking the bath at dawn and taking it to a crossroads I'm never using again before sunrise, on the same morning.

Also, I've read so many things about when to take the bath. I started my work last night. Before and afterwards, blessed myself with church holy water, head to toe. The thing about reading psalm 51 and taking the bath is that I feel like, if I read that and continue doing negative work, why should God forgive me? Like, I wouldn't hit someone, apologize, and do it again the next day. What I mean is, if I'm repeating the behavior, I feel like I shouldn't recite the psalm until I'm done.

I know I'm asking for a lot of clarification, and I've read a lot in this forum. But that's why I'm confused. There are people that say these aren't rules they're guidelines. Then it's, they're tradition for a reason. So...I just need to know.

Thank you and blessings

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Sun Mar 26, 2017 9:55 am

Hello RedAngel,

I don't think attaching a tea bag filled with herbs to the shower head would work for taking a hyssop bath. Mainly because you want to brew the hyssop into a tea that you then dilute with water to use as the bath. Water constantly flowing through a teabag is hardly going to get any of that hyssop essence on you. So, brew the hyssop into a tea on the stove by boiling water, adding the hyssop, turning off the stove, and letting the hyssop steep. Strain out the herbs, pour the tea into a big bowl or pail, then add water to it to get it a comfortable bathing temperature. Take the big bowl into the shower stall with you, and use a smaller cup to pour it over your head.

You can wait to take the whole hyssop bath shebang until after you're completely done with your heavy work, then take the water to the crossroads. If you want to wash up while the work is going, you can just wash your hands, and save the big wash for the end.

If you visit this page about hyssop, it says to take the bath at dawn:

http://herb-magic.com/hyssop.html

Hope that clears things up for you.

RedAngel

Unread post by RedAngel » Sun Mar 26, 2017 1:48 pm

Thank you, Sister Jean, for clarifying. I'm still unsure about the crossroads situation though. If it has to be a crossroads I won't use for ritual again, or one I won't drive through again, it has to be far from my home and somewhere I just wouldn't naturally pass. I've read on here that you can go to the crossroads by foot, so I have two that I can do that to but I drive through them daily. Can a crossroad be in a nature preserve where four trails meet? Or a cemetery where four driveway roads meet? Coz there are cemetery's and trails I won't go through again.

Sorry, just want to be absolutely sure I don't drive through my energy that I just got rid of n bring it to work or home.

Thank you all again for your information in this forum. I almost always get the answers from someone else's post. I love the love in here

RedAngel

Unread post by RedAngel » Mon Mar 27, 2017 6:15 pm

Just to add to my previous question, how about a four way stop in a random neighborhood? Literally any other crossroads that's not a main intersection is basically what I'm asking. Coz everywhere I go is so close, I never take a freeway. And all the major crossroads around me, I travel through from time to time.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Mar 27, 2017 9:59 pm

Hello, RedAngel

This page ought to give you more clarity on the subject of the crossroads:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... Crossroads

Also, I prefer a crossroad that you won't be passing again.

But, honestly, it isn't that complicated. PLEASE don't over think this

take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

RedAngel

Unread post by RedAngel » Tue Mar 28, 2017 9:24 am

That's exactly what I needed to know. thank you so much Miss Aida.

AnnieR

Unread post by AnnieR » Sun Jul 23, 2017 12:05 pm

I ordered a white sage smudge stick, hyssop for the bath and uncrossing and van van candles.
Trying to change energy and luck. In what order do I do them?
I was thinking hyssop bath, then smudge my house, burn the uncrossing candle first and then the van van.
Does that sound right?
Also, if I cannot toss the bath water at the crossroads, what is another acceptable disposal of it?
Thanks!

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Jul 24, 2017 7:19 pm

Hi AnnieR,

You would use hyssop in a bath to cleanse yourself after performing negative work, such as break up spellwork. This would be done immediately after performing those spells. Uncrossing products are used to remove any kind of jinx or curse that someone else has thrown at you. If you believe this may be the case, then use these products immediately.

http://www.luckymojo.com/uncrossing.html

If you want to cleanse your home, which would be a good idea if you think you are in any way jinxed, I suggest a thorough cleansing with Chinese Wash. Use it on your floors and walls from the back of your home and out the front door. Then put up protection to keep any negative energy from finding its way back to you.

http://www.luckymojo.com/chinesewash.html
http://www.luckymojo.com/oil-protection.html

You could then light your smudge stick and Van Van candles periodically to keep your home free of spiritual interference.

I never quite understand why people say they can't dispose or deploy at a crossroads, when they are plentiful in even the most remote locations. However, if you have an issue with them, then you can dispose of your bathwater in running water.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

AnnieR

Unread post by AnnieR » Tue Jul 25, 2017 5:32 am

Thank you! I am keeping my grandbaby right now and she sleeps with me, so sometimes even getting up before dawn or driving anywhere can be a challenge! I may see if there is a crossroads or path in my backyard that I can sneak out to. If not I can deploy maybe at a later time? I appreciate your feedback.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Jul 25, 2017 2:14 pm

Hi AnnieR,

Thanks for the clarification. You want to dispose of the water as soon as possible, so hopefully you can find an appropriate crossroads (a path is perfectly fine) that lets you do that.

Good luck.

Blackcoffee

Unread post by Blackcoffee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 3:12 pm

Hi all,

Quick couple of questions about hyssop baths.
1) Can muslin sacks used to make bath be reused and if so how should they be cleansed between uses?
2) Does it matter the time of day the bath is taken? I have read some things that said before sunrise, but wasn't sure if it was a necessity or they could also be done at night.

Thanks for any and all info.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Aug 05, 2017 5:20 pm

Hello, Blackcoffee,

1) Yes, I guess you could do that! Muslin bags are strong enough to withstand numerous encounters with hot water

Rinse them with water

2) For the Hyssop bath, it wouldn't have to be in the morning because we can't get up early, perform our negative spells and then bathe before sunrise!

Although it is highly recommended to bath before sunrise, I personally always make an exception for hyssop.

I hope this helps

take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Blackcoffee

Unread post by Blackcoffee » Sat Aug 05, 2017 6:19 pm

Thank you Miss Aida, good information to know!
I have read differing opinions on whether the water should be thrown east or west following the bath. Which direction is best for cleansing?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sat Aug 05, 2017 10:16 pm

Hello, Blackcoffee ,

East

take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Rootwork_1987

Unread post by Rootwork_1987 » Fri Sep 01, 2017 5:16 am

Good morning!

Question... Can I use drops Hyssop oil in my, shampoo, hair cream, moisturizer... To keep me clean?

I find my self every now and than performing some sort of negative work... I would like to keep my self clean Always!

Thanks in advance fr the answers!
Thank you Saint Martha for all the support and protection!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Fri Sep 01, 2017 6:36 pm

Hello, Rootwork_1987 ,

Absolutely YES!

That's thinking out of the box and it's brilliant!

take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

Rootwork_1987

Unread post by Rootwork_1987 » Sat Sep 02, 2017 2:14 am

Hello Miss Aida!!

Well, thanks!! I live with persons that are not very aproving of hoodoo, and on top of that... I don't have a bath in my home now. So I have to find alternative options for a few things. I thought that was a good idea! So glad you liked it and more than happy to share here so other people can use it as well!
Thank you Saint Martha for all the support and protection!

Lmuser05

Unread post by Lmuser05 » Sun Sep 03, 2017 9:06 pm

I had read on here somewhere about just cleansing hands during the process of a ritual. Could I just steep some hyssop and keep it on hand through out the 5 to 7 days that i burn my candle and just use it on my hands after I'm done each day? And should I keep the hyssop from using on my hands to combine with the hyssop when I take my bath at the end of my work to dump at the crossroads?
And one last thought, would it be beneficial to dump the water at a crossroads that the person I did the spell on will cross through?

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:00 am

Hello Lmuser05,

Yes, you could wash your hands with hyssop this way. I would save a small amount from the wash to take to the crossroads, and if you need to save it up over a series of days to dump the water all at once, I think that's fine. Make sure to keep the tea in the fridge.

I don't think it matters if you dump the water at a crossroads that the person will walk through because the hyssop tea isn't designed to harm them; it's designed to spiritually cleanse you. I just don't think it would do anything to your target.

Good luck to you in your work.

Beginner01

Unread post by Beginner01 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 5:57 pm

Anytime I have ever lit a black candle in my life whether its break up, banish etc I have always gotten into a car accident in the days that follow. And yes I wear fiery wall of protection first & bathe with hyssop immediately after. I always smoke out my house & I read psalm 51. This only happens with black candles. I want to know if I should be using the hyssop bath more often or if I can use my LM hyssop oil to dress a candle and burn it on myself each day?

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Sep 04, 2017 6:37 pm

Hi Beginner01,

I am sorry to hear that is happening to you.

The bath is the traditional way to work, as you are ritually cleansing yourself of your sins and seeking forgiveness. You could supplement that by burning candles dressed in Hyssop Oil, but I wouldn't use this as a substitution for bathing. Do both.

Beginner01

Unread post by Beginner01 » Mon Sep 04, 2017 9:43 pm

Thank you miss Athena I will do both! Should I be bathing with hyssop daily until the 7 day candle is done?

Lmuser05

Unread post by Lmuser05 » Tue Sep 05, 2017 5:01 am

Thank you Sister Jean for your help I wouldn't have thought to keep it in the fridge but I guess it would be perishable as well.

Shutter
HRCC Student

Unread post by Shutter » Thu Oct 05, 2017 10:09 pm

I see/have read about gambler's hand washes before going out to play, but may this same technique be used for any herbal brewed combination? Such as having a batch of Hyssop water as a hand wash to cleanse between candle works?
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession
To all else listen to the mods!
Student #2164

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Fri Oct 06, 2017 7:48 am

Hello Shutter,

Yes you could do that, however I wouldn't expect a hyssop hand wash to take the place of a full-body bath. But between burnings of, say, a jinx candle, a hyssop hand wash wouldn't be a bad idea.

Take care.

Shutter
HRCC Student

Unread post by Shutter » Fri Oct 06, 2017 1:16 pm

Thank you! That was what I was intending :)
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession
To all else listen to the mods!
Student #2164

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Fri Oct 06, 2017 6:13 pm

Hello Beginner01,

You could bathe daily but it's not necessary. Once you complete the spell, make sure you do take that bath and throw some of the water at a crossroads.

Good luck.

This product qualifies to be included in the Lucky Mojo 6 Herb and Root Special.

When you order SIX of our regularly-priced herbs or roots, you only pay for FIVE and, as a BONUS GIFT -- we will also send you a FREE Red Flannel Bag that you can use to make your own mojo hand. Just order the Special, and be sure to list your SIX herbs and roots in the message area of your order.

HER-ZSP-6HRB
6 Herb and Root Special (6 Herbs + Red Bag)
$17.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

http://www.herbmagic.com/six-herb-special.html

Moonlightdream

Unread post by Moonlightdream » Wed Jan 24, 2018 2:05 am

Can I add a few drops of hyssop oil to the bath water and cleanse myself downwards while bathing to get rid of negativity and cleanse myself?

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Wed Jan 24, 2018 9:40 am

Hello Moonlightdream,

Yes you could do that, but it would be stronger if you added the oil to brewed hyssop tea, not just plain bathwater.

Take care.

SagittariusLover128

Unread post by SagittariusLover128 » Thu Apr 26, 2018 11:31 am

Hello all,

this is my first time doing revenge/crossing work (whichever you decide to call it) and I just ordered the Hyssop herbs, but I'm not very familiar with it at all. I feel a little on the dumb side :lol: because even after reading a few posts I still seem a little lost. I have a few questions regarding the Hyssop Herb:
1) Am I suppose to just add the herbs to my bath water and take a bath as usual?

2) Since the work I'm performing consists of me doing the work for 7 days, do I use the Hyssop bath on the 7th day after completion or the 8th day?

3) Once I've done the bath do I literally take all the water from the tub and dispose of it or some of it? I do believe disposing the water afterwards is going to be my biggest issue,

Please help!
Thank you St. Jude! Your help was much appreciated!

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Sun Apr 29, 2018 12:27 pm

Hello inquiringminds128,

A good practice to do on this forum is to scroll up through the other posts in a thread and read through them before posting a question, because your question may have already been answered. These questions have been addressed already but I'll copy the text for you here:

Brew the hyssop into a tea on the stove by boiling water, adding the hyssop, turning off the stove, and letting the hyssop steep. Strain out the herbs, pour the tea into a big bowl or pail, then add water to it to get it a comfortable bathing temperature. Take the big bowl into the shower stall with you, and use a smaller cup to pour it over your head.

See, it's not like a "regular" bath. And I would just take your hyssop bath at dawn on the eighth day. You don't need to take all your water to the crossroads, just a cupful.

Hope that helps!

Moonlightdream

Unread post by Moonlightdream » Mon Oct 01, 2018 11:59 am

Can I use hyssop crystals to cleanse myself from my negative or sad emotions? Should I take a small cup of bath water and dispose at a crossroad afterwards?
Can hyssop bath crystals be added to the floor wash or chinese wash to cleanse off all negativity too?

Edward T
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Edward T » Mon Oct 01, 2018 1:26 pm

Moonlightdream
Hyssop is a great herb to remove negative energy. The bath crystal are perfect for this. You want to walk through two lit candles with a bowl of bath-water, and take it to the crossroads. Throw it East, toward Sunrise and don't look back.
Enjoy. Edward T
HRCC Graduate #1985 --Hoodoo Psychics, Reader, Forum Moderator, Rootworker

Graveyardhag

Unread post by Graveyardhag » Mon Nov 19, 2018 8:58 pm

Just a question regarding the bath water after bathing with hyssop.
I would be wanting to do the bath soon after finishing the cursing work, which is not likely to be in the early hours of the morning.
I see written above to toss the water towards the sunrise (like an uncrossing bath)
So I just hold onto a bit of the bath water and dispose at the crossroads the next morning?
Thank you St Martha, St Anthony & St Expedite for all you have done for me.

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Tue Nov 20, 2018 5:18 am

Graveyardhag,

Yes take the bath after the work which it seems you will be doing at nighttime, then wake up in the am and toss it as the sunrises.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

Graveyardhag

Unread post by Graveyardhag » Tue Nov 20, 2018 12:25 pm

Perfect, thanks JayDee
Thank you St Martha, St Anthony & St Expedite for all you have done for me.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 05, 2019 8:37 am

This product qualifies to be included in the Lucky Mojo 6 Herb Tea Special.

Buy six herbs for use as teas and receive a free small muslin tea steeping bag. To qualify for this special you must select six of the $3.50 HER (SKU code) items listed in this section. Botanical and Mineral Curios do not qualify for this special.

HER-ZSP-6TEA
6 Herb Tea Special (6 Herb Teas + Small Muslin Bag)
$17.50

http://www.herbmagic.com/six-herb-tea-special.html
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

birainluv

Unread post by birainluv » Thu Apr 04, 2019 12:14 pm

Hello all,
I have a question. I know that after taking a hyssop bath that you take it to the crossroads. But I was wondering if one was to take it the river would it have the same effect? I was just curious because of the significance of rivers and sending things away. Thank you for you guys time and patience as always!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 04, 2019 2:42 pm

birainluv --

Let's start with what you "know."

You "know" that "after taking a hyssop bath that you take it to the crossroads."

Funny, i've been doing this work for more than 50 years, and i don't "know" that. It is not even the most common form of disposal of such a bath that i was taught. Not even the second-most common.

The key to the Hyssop Bath is the removal of sin. For this reason we recite Psalms 51 when taking such a bath.

"Throw the water to the West to remove your sin from you." That's what i "know." As the Sun sets down in the West, let the troubles and ill conditions and the wrongs that you have done fade like the dusk and be gone and forgiven.

In the old days (and i myself lived through such days) we had a tin bath tub out doors, and to remove something, we stepped out of the tub backwards, and we tipped the tub to the West. (If it was a drawing bath, we stepped out facing forward and tipped the tub to the East.)

Of course, lots of people nowadays don't have a yard. They live "in the Matrix" and must make do some other way. So now folks take a cup of the water and carry it out to the street and throw it Westward.

A river disposal is usually undertaken to move someone or something out and down, to show some power over the person or condition. You are harnessing your thought to Nature, which sweeps the spell remnants down stream. Of course, not everyone has a river nearby, but if you do, and if you don;t have a yard or a street gutter, or if you just like being fancy about it, you sure could take a Hyssop Bath to a river and throw it West, because water-into-water is a nice idea.

Crossroads disposal scatters the material far and wide. You are harnessing your thought to the controlled chaos and multi-directional changes found at the crossroads. I use crossroads disposal to spread the news, dispel evil harmlessly, and see that my influence is transmitted far and wide. You could take a Hyssop Bath to a crossroads and throw it West.

Folk magic is a lot easier to practice if you consider its roots rather than trying to fit it to a set of rules.

HER-HYS-LEAF
Hyssop Herb
$3.50

catherine yronwode

birainluv

Unread post by birainluv » Thu Apr 04, 2019 6:53 pm

Cat,
I was saying I know because it was mentioned here plenty of times that it should be taken to the crossroads. I'm aware I don't know everything and I wasn't saying that I did. I was just curious to why it had always been mentioned to always the crossroads.

jkad

Unread post by jkad » Mon Apr 08, 2019 5:17 pm

There is a lot of great information in this thread.

I learned to do a hyssop bath through a more ceremonial tradition. I have had great results with it and the idea that hyssop 'removes sin' really fits into what I've experienced. I am interested in adding salt and rue to the mix and seeing how that goes. I also use a modified/redacted version of Psalm 51 in latin, but think I will just go with Psalm 51.

Having read the last couple weeks about the history of Hoodoo and how it comes from largely African tradition, but intermixed with some European influences, any ideas how far back the idea of the hyssop bath goes? Does this all originate from medieval grimoires and then modified by the use of a sachet with a herb?

Thanks!
-J

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:15 am

jkad --

Psalms 51, which mentions Hyssop secifically, goes back to ancient Jewish custom.

But that is itself a call-back to the Book of Exodus, written by Moses. This is the nstruction for the Passover -- when the 10th Plague was sent to kill the first-born of the Egyptians, and the Jews were passed over by the Angel of Death. The Angel knew which homes to avoid by a mark on the door made with blood and applied with a bundle of Hyssop.

Exodus12:22
22 And ye shall take a bunch of hyssop, and dip it in the blood [of a scarified lamb] that is in the bason, and strike the lintel and the two side posts with the blood that is in the bason; and none of you shall go out at the door of his house until the morning.

Hyssop was always considered sacrificial. It was added to offerings by the ancient Jews for cleaning and healing:

Leviticus 14:4-7
4 Then shall the priest command to take for him that is to be cleansed two birds alive and clean, and cedar wood, and scarlet*, and hyssop:
5 And the priest shall command that one of the birds be killed in an earthen vessel over running water:
6 As for the living bird, he shall take it, and the cedar wood, and the scarlet*, and the hyssop, and shall dip them and the living bird in the blood of the bird that was killed over the running water:
7 And he shall sprinkle upon him that is to be cleansed from the leprosy seven times, and shall pronounce him clean, and shall let the living bird loose into the open field.

Numbers 19:6
6 And the priest shall take cedar wood, and hyssop, and scarlet, and cast it into the midst of the burning of the heifer.

The medical qualities of this product are described in this book, with traditional folkloric remedies for home-herbalists to try.

BOO-BOT-TAMB
This Amazing Book by Sunrae Products Company, ed. cat yronwode
$9.00

http://www.luckymojo.com/thisamazingbook.html
catherine yronwode

jkad

Unread post by jkad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:46 am

Great info thanks!

I would like to check that book out, but I am about to head into the bush for 3 months for work. But when I'm back, I plan on ordering a bunch of stuff from you. I will keep This Amazing Book in mind. I love the name!

-J

jkad

Unread post by jkad » Tue Apr 09, 2019 1:01 pm

Just a further thought along these lines, doing this type of work while I'm at camp... There are no tubs, we have a shower trailer. But there is always streams of fresh water available. So would filling a bucket or something with fresh water and dipping the sachet of hyssop (or whatever) into it and washing myself but a suitable substitute.

Looking at the page on Spiritual Baths and what not, it seems like that would fit somewhat into the tradition. Maybe making a wash is better though? Anyhow just thoughts. Gotta say, your website is amazing. There is so much to read, I found it at the right time. It'll give me a lot to chew on over the summer.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Apr 09, 2019 4:24 pm

Hello jkad,

Steep the hyssop into a tea and use this to pour over yourself while reciting Psalm 51 ("Cleanse me with hyssop, and I will be clean; wash me, and I will be whiter than snow."). You can do this in the shower trailer, and collect some of the water into a cup and throw it at a crossroads.

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”