Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Graveyard, Ancestors, Mediumship, Dying, Death, The Dead

SagittariusLover128
Re: Graveyard, Ancestors, Mediumship, Dying, Death, The Dead

Unread post by SagittariusLover128 » Sat Sep 22, 2018 9:31 am

Thank you SIster Jean!
Thank you St. Jude! Your help was much appreciated!

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Sep 24, 2018 4:52 pm

SagittariusLover128,

I completely agree with Sister Jean I would work with a statue and photos of the father along with a glass of water and a candle on the altar as the starter items. Add items as you deem fit or moved or learn about adding. You may find this work area expands and more family members come along. Example: When I started a while back praying to a specific few, suddenly other member's names of the family started to pop up and it's an old Euro name you dont hear modern day.

Incense is nice to burn as well as offerings such as coffee, liquor, items they liked. Spend time in prayer and listen.

LM produced a book on altars: http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooshrinesandaltars.html
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:20 pm

When people refer to the "gatekeeper" of a cemetery, who is the gatekeeper?

Edward T
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Edward T » Fri Sep 28, 2018 8:51 pm

Pyromancer
The gate keeper is the spirit of the first person who was interred into the graveyard. this spirit can help you find the graves of spirits who may be able to help you. When you enter or leave the cemetery throw 3 dimes at the entrance for the gate keeper over your left shoulder.
Edward T
HRCC Graduate #1985 --Hoodoo Psychics, Reader, Forum Moderator, Rootworker

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Sat Sep 29, 2018 3:50 am

Pyromancer,

I was taught the same way as EdwardT except we called it the spirit of the graveyard, same concept they watched over the graveyard, you prayed as you entered for the spirit to assist. I toss a coin as good faith then when leaving as I exit I pay as well asking the spirt to prevent any uninvoked spirits from leaving with me and pay the spirt as you leave.

This is a very common belief in many traditions. I shared this tradition with a good friend one day when we went into a graveyard together. She had never heard of it and thought it was wild. She went home and shared it with her family and about a week later she came back surprised to find out her syrian family also had similar beliefs about the graveyard.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Sun Sep 30, 2018 9:22 pm

What do you pay after you pay with dimes? I asked the spirit I talk to if he would assist me when I do the mirror box. He said that he's a good guy, and he has to think about it. Starnge I saw a new post of her wearing an evil eye necklace all of a sudden :lol:. Its exposed not hidden in her shirt. Is it whiskey or what do I pay with? I also saw 11:11 after talking to the spirit. I have been seeing that alot lately

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Oct 01, 2018 4:52 am

Pyromancer,

Depends on your tradition or how you are moved. I pray when I enter asking the spirit of the graveyard to protect me while im in there, I ask for guidance to the grave. If you take dirt or bury something with the dead you pay with a dime. You also may pay spirits with things they like examples include: whisky, cigar, cig, coffee, playing cards, candy, food.

Pyromancer

Unread post by Pyromancer » Mon Oct 01, 2018 10:04 pm

Thank you for all the info

MadmoiselleGuinevere
Newly Registered

Unread post by MadmoiselleGuinevere » Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:55 am

Would you be considered a Natural Born Necromancer if You communicate With the Dead? Demons? :mrgreen:

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Nov 05, 2018 7:41 am

MadmoiselleGuinevere ,

It would be considered a spiritual gift that you have.

LittleWitch2020
Newly Registered

Unread post by LittleWitch2020 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:31 pm

Hello everyone😊
I'd like to contact my ancestors. I want to do this right.
I've read 1st and for most I must give water to the earth.
Is that true?
I tried communication last night. I used a white candle and a glass of water. I sat and looked in the mirror. Nothing happened. I said thank you anyway.
I want to try again tonight. This time, I'll add flowers.
How do I end communication? Did I do right by simply saying thank you?
Please, be patient with me. I'm very new at this. I'm learning day by day.
At present, my money, is real funny. So my supplies are limited.
Thank you, a trillion
Little Witch 2020

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Dec 26, 2018 2:58 pm

Hello LittleWitch2020,

Have you read through the posts in this very thread? There are nine pages of information and advice on working with your ancestors. In the future, please read through a thread before posting questions as chances are you will find the answers you need before asking.

Giving water to the earth sounds more like Gaianism, and this is a forum for the practice of hoodoo. Whether you wish to add elements of other spiritual traditions to your work is up to you, but we can't offer advice here on how to do it.

Thanking ancestors is as easy as you described. You could give them an offering, something they may have enjoyed in life (like coffee, candy, flowers, etc.).

Please read through this thread and if you then still have questions, just ask.

Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

LittleWitch2020
Newly Registered

Unread post by LittleWitch2020 » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:30 pm

Yes, I did. With all do respect. I'll just stop asking questions.
Thank u
B blessed

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Dec 26, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi LittleWitch2020,

No, don't stop asking questions.

If you've read through this thread and still aren't sure what to do, then ask us here.

I couldn't answer your question about non-hoodoo practices, but otherwise what do you still have questions about?

ScorpioKate

Unread post by ScorpioKate » Wed Dec 26, 2018 11:49 pm

Hey LittleWitch2020!

I practice necromancy (another word commonly used for mediumship) quite frequently and I always go through one specific ancestor/guide first, to help me find my way around. I've been doing this for years and I still use this method of channeling through him specifically, to this day. It's helpful to find one guide that you can build a trusting relationship with so you always have a home base so to speak. It'll just take time though, either way.

I personally think you did a great job. Things happen in their own timing with this sort of thing. You'll be stuck for a few sessions and then one day, you'll just see things or hear things or get a completely brand new idea about how to work. It's something that just opens up one day and stays open, but I don't think it's possible to find it on your own. I think it's more that it's "shown" to you. But the quickest way to "find" it, is to just keep trying for little spurts as often as you feel comfortable with. And from my personal experiences, your intentions are pure and you have a good heart to try so hard to be respectful and that's the most important thing. You can't help what you don't know yet. And the dead sense your energy so even if it wasn't done word for word by the book, as long as your intention was to be respectful, you come across as showing full respect to them from your energy.

The only thing that would hinder you by not understanding, is protective and cleansing measures. At least in my experience, I've noticed that the herbs and waters used for these things need to be authentic and your "intention" to protect yourself is not the same as being actually protected. But when it comes to respect and formalities and what you say to them, just coming from a place of love is all that it takes to connect with them. I swear by Florida Water for protection, cleansing, to have a clear channel, and to anoint my forehead with whenever I feel yucky, even when not working with spirits. They also like it as an offering in place of regular water. They come through more energetically with the Florida Water around. It really works in all categories for this type of work. I wish you lots of love and protection though, through your journeys, and I would be happy to hear how this unfolds for you!

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Thu Dec 27, 2018 9:19 am

LittleWitch2020,

Working to communicate with ancestors can take a bit more time then one try. Dont give up! It may take a few times before you feel the connections. Many books and ideas exist around this type of work. In hoodoo you will see many establish ancestor alters, an area to honor them, remember them, communicate with them. Two things I was taught to always have was a candle and a glass of water. From that it can be built on.

A great book on hoodoo altars can be found here on Lucky Mojo : http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooshrinesandaltars.html

Other items I included are photos of the loved ones, personal items from them (if you have some), and I will include items they liked such as a cup of coffee, fruit, cakes , smokes.

Two books carried by Lucky Mojo that are on the topic you are asking:
Here is a book sold by Lucky Mojo on the topic: COMMUNING WITH THE SPIRITS by Martin Coleman
Another listed book on this topic: THE ART OF MEDIUMSHIP: PSYCHIC INVESTIGATION, CLAIRVOYANCE, AND CHANNELING by Elaine Kuzmeskus

Lucky Mojo also has some lines of product that can be used to assist with this type of work:

Spirt Guide products: http://www.luckymojo.com/spiritguide.html
http://www.luckymojo.com/indianspiritguide.html
This book would accompany the Indian Spirit Guide products to help you understand it: THE SPIRIT OF BLACK HAWK by Jason Berry

Psychic vision to help open you up to spiritual communication: http://www.luckymojo.com/products-psychic-vision.html

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Dec 27, 2018 11:01 pm

Great answer, JayDee -- i can tell you are a bibliophile!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Naught1usMax1mus
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Naught1usMax1mus » Sun Jan 06, 2019 3:12 pm

Thank you so much St Martha and St Expedite for seeing my mother-in-law on her way this morning — she had long disease followed by acute problems starting on 1/1. I kept cleansed and used Hoyts Cologne to ground myself (since this was out of town and I had to work ‘on the fly’). I prayed every day for these saints to help and they are good for the wishes granted. Now it is time to pay the pipers, and thank you so much to Miss Cat for your training and sharing knowledge and experience so I can do that.
HRCC Graduate-Apprentice #1398

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jan 06, 2019 11:23 pm

My condolences on the passing of your mother-in-law. May her memory be a blessing.
catherine yronwode

LittleWitch2020
Newly Registered

Unread post by LittleWitch2020 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 9:39 am

Hello all
Finally I've bought several books by Miss Cat about root work. To be the best at what I'm doing.
One book I read says root work starts with The Ancestors. To honor them, make an alter for them.

My grandmother loved plants. So, I took a bamboo plant I have and put all kinds of stones(amethyst, Jade, green Averterine, garnet, etc. I put water out for them and a plate of tangerines, and a three day candle (white). I introduced myself and thanked them. I had a very long conversation with them. Yet, no response. Nothing.
I go to them daily.

No one knows of my practices. That's why I'm LM bugger boo. I don't have friends who practice hoodoo or witchcraft. I'm alone.

I fear if I can't get them to communicate my work will all be in vain.

Please help me what can I do to make them communicate?

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sun Jan 20, 2019 10:32 am

Hello LittleWitch2020,

Don't stop speaking to your ancestors. They can hear you. When, if or how they respond is up to them. You need to have patience, and look for signs of a response. Sometimes they are not obvious, often times they are quite subtle, rarely do they happen overnight.

Also, when you ask "what can I do to make them communicate?" you are suggesting that you could compel them to speak to you. That's very demanding. Spirits work in their own manner, and you can't "make" them do anything any more than you could make someone in the mundane world do anything they do not wish to do.

Please have patience, continue speaking to them and ask for their help rather than try to compel their reply.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

LittleWitch2020
Newly Registered

Unread post by LittleWitch2020 » Sun Jan 20, 2019 12:17 pm

Your right. Once I wrote it that I felt like it wasn't the right thing to say or do.
I'll continue to talk to them.

ScorpioKate

Unread post by ScorpioKate » Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:16 am

Hey LittleWitch2020!

I had worked a few years ago to try to talk to my ancestors and to use scrying methods and all the things that you're trying for. I was highly intuitive and had a lot of success with Tarot but I couldn't seem to break the barrier to be able to communicate with spirits. I let it go after a couple months of trying and came back to it a couple years later. I had different reasons to come back to it, though. I wasn't trying so much to get direct answers. I was more using it as something like a therapy session where I would just talk and try to sort things out that were crazy in my life at the time. I imagined just sitting there and talking to my grandpa like I had when he was alive.

What started happening though, was that I would get visions while I was forming my ideas and talking. They were just in my mind but they weren't my own. They gave me information that I didn't know before. Then, I started being able to hear something like "flows" of sentences. Almost like being in a crowded hall and everyone's talking at a normal volume but you're trying to hear your grandpa only. So you can follow a sentence or two but it'll get drowned out by someone else's conversation after a few seconds. You can just find the channel that grandpa is on and pick up where you left off but it starts to get pretty muddy after doing that 4 or 5 times. Anyway, it all developed without me really trying. I didn't know that that's what I was even looking for. It might be completely different for you, too. But it's definitely an individual thing as to how you perceive what they're saying to you.

I feel very strongly that your work wouldn't be in vain if you didn't hear from them in the way you think you should or in the way that others do or even if you didn't hear from them at all. It wouldn't be in vain if you consider it something where you're presenting them your ideas and your thoughts and worries and frustrations with the sole purpose of just having someone to talk to. That's worth it all on it's own. But they'll still find ways to reach you, even if it's not immediate or through direct communication. It takes a lot of the pressure off and lets you be completely open.

I've come to the altar with music playing and incense and candles and a lovely ambiance and it was really nice.. But I've also come to the altar mad as hell and bawling so much I couldn't formulate sentences and it was still really nice, just in a different way. For me, it built the bond stronger between myself and the friends and ancestors that I knew personally and from there, it made it easier to see the visions and hear things because it's grandpa and he loves me.

Maybe seeing them as the people they are, instead of ambiguous energies that reside in some nebulous far off realm, it might help you to feel them a lot more. My grandpa is here right now, sitting in his chair, making crass jokes that only himself and my dad would find funny lol. Your family loves you too and would be happy to communicate with you I'm sure, but you just have to work out your own code or find the channel they're speaking on. For me, it only came through when I wasn't searching for it so much. But they hear you either way so it wouldn't be for nothing.

LittleWitch2020
Newly Registered

Unread post by LittleWitch2020 » Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:03 pm

Thank you so much. I'm in tears. I want to communicate with them because I love and miss them.
I know no one loves me like that they do.

It's been so hard. I lost my family at 17. I had to become an adult over night. I finally started to heal a year ago.

What made healing so hard? I didn't get air before the wind was knocked back out of me. Life's wind. Not having them to hold me and say, "it's gonna be ok, I got your back". Has been a pain so horrible I can't explain.

I get so lonely. When I get off work, I tell them about my day. The things I'm trying to accomplish, my goals, my dreams. I tell them I love them and no matter how tough life gets, I'll never give up. I don't have that choice like they didn't.

I want to thank you again for reaching out to me.

Brujo_Sireno

Unread post by Brujo_Sireno » Sun Jan 27, 2019 5:39 pm

So, I have a quick question: Could I use Indian Spirit guide to communicate with my Native ancestors? My family is Yaqui and Apache, but this seems more aimed at Plains groups rather than Southwest and Desert groups. I think I'm overcomplicating it, but I'm curious.

I burn incense and leave offerings to my ancestors already, but I'm curious how I could incorporate this.
I kiss the moon and hug the sun
And call the spirits and make 'em run

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sun Jan 27, 2019 7:36 pm

Hi Brujo_Sireno,

Yes of course you could use Indian Spirit Guide to contact your Native ancestors. Their specific tribes shouldn't affect your work with this product. You may indeed be over-complicating things so have faith in your work and you should be fine.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

red_crowfeed

Unread post by red_crowfeed » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:15 pm

Does anyone else have pictures of friends that have passed on their ancestor altar?

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:44 pm

red_crowfeed,

Yes, as well as family, photos of family, items from them that I still own. I have a friend who is in her upper 60s from the south and lived the last 40 years in Detroit, she told me that you never place the living among the dead, in her home the living are on one wall while the dead on the other. You post made me think of that!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:48 pm

red_crowfeed --

"Should i place the dead among the living on an altar"

That is a good question, and the reply i am going to make will be a bit more complex that you may have expected, for it is not a simple "yes or no" question.

Hoodoo developed in the USA under conditions of Catholic and Protestant Christianity. Most African Americans are Baptists. No form of Christianity endorses what you (and others) call "an ancestor altar." The only altars sanctified in these denominations are those dedicated to God and His heavenly entourage, as perceived within the culture and denomination to which the practitioner adheres.

For example, among the Catholics of all cultural origins (including European and African), images of canonized and beatified (church-approved) saints may be placed on both church and home altars, and these saints may include formerly living human beings as well as heavenly angelic spirits. On Protestant home altars, however, since there is no church-designated list of canonized saints, one sees fewer such visual representations.

However, Christianity does not exist in a vacuum, and so here we will have to look into African American customs that came out of the pre-slavery African experience.

Although many first-generation enslaved Africans were Christians or Muslims at the time of their capture, most of them practiced a local indigenous religion. These indigenous religions are regional and therefore they are varied in their cosmology, theology, and liturgy, but most African religions include some form of ancestor veneration, in which one's worthy ancestors are presumed to require or desire a specific place of veneration at which culture-specified offerings are to be made at culturally-determined intervals, and, in addition, some especially powerful ancestors are presumed to have been elevated to rank among the heavenly host. You can see the highest form of such elevation of the dead in the religion of the Yoruba people of Nigeria, for example, where Shango is known to have been the fourth king of the Yoruba people, elevated to deific status. You will see it as well in ancient Judaism -- which is one of the reasons some people consider Judaism to be an African religion -- for example, in the parable that Jesus taught about the beggar Lazarus, wherein Lazarus meets and is comforted by his direct ancestor Abraham in the afterlife, Abraham having been elevated to a position near to YHVH, the creator-God.

(By the way, to some Jews, the entire religion of Christianity seems to be a breakaway denomination that elevated one particular human being to a status like unto ancestors such a Abraham, collateral relatives like Ezekiel, and the rest of the worthy dead -- and then left Jewish theology behind forever by asserting that Jesus had never been "the son of man," but was instead, after the form of a Greek demi-God, "the son of God." And, as another parenthetical aside, the elevation of certain human ancestors to near-deific or fully deified status is also found in Chinese indigenous religions, but that is a bit far afield for this discussion.)

Given the African roots that support the structure of African American Christianity, it is not surprising that the home altars of Black Americans often do include images of ancestors, or that ancestors are honoured in a space that functions as an altar but is not designated as such -- for instance a mantle piece or upright piano top or book shelf on which photos are arrayed, or a place on the wall where photos are hung in great accumulation.

These "memory places" do not generally involve conventional African religious sacrificial offerings of food, but it is worth noting that in America, among African-descended Christians, food and other offerings may be made at grave sites. Instead, African American Christian domestic altars serve as places to light candles or to display mementos or to encompass things of beauty such as flowers or figurines.

In the context of these African American Christian family memory spaces, it is entirely appropriate to include pictures of people who are not ancestors, such as collateral family members, friends, personal heroes or inspirations, beloved pets or livestock, as well as old greeting cards and calendar prints, and pictures of idealized devotion, such as the image of a child at prayer. These are African American CHRISTIAN altars, and because they are domestic altars, they take the artistic form decreed by the one who establishes them.

Now, in recent years, there has been a strong movement on the part of some African Americans, and especially those with a Latin-American family history rather than an Eastern or Southern USA family history, to incorporate elements of Caribbean African Diasporic Religions (ADRs) as well as African Traditional Religions (ATRs) into their lives. Membership in ATR and ADR denominations is initiatic, and at the time of initiation, the adherent is required to undertake certain vows of behaviour with respect to the group's initiated lineage-holders of authority, who in turn grant the adherent "licensia" (license) to worship. In some of these lineages, centuries of a family's Catholic faith may co-exist with preserved, revived, or recreated ATRs and ADRs.

Central to these ADRs and ATRs is the continuity, revival, or recreation of -- and a dogmatic insistence upon -- specific forms of ancestor veneration. Within these various religions, there are numerous rules and regulations regarding the physical form and structure of these ancestor altars, with respect to their placement in the home, what images may or may not be included, and how and when specific sacrifical or other offerings may be placed on them. This goes far beyond the African American Christian concept of a devotional and domestic religious "memory place" set aside for ancestors, departed friends, heroes, mentors, and pets.

To be clear: the African American home hoodoo way of memorializing the dead is a domestic remnant or retention of an African way of thinking that has for centuries been embedded within the context of Christianity, but the American ATR or ADR ancestor altar is a full-blown continuity, revival, or recreation of an African religion, in all of its clerical and dogmatic parts.

So -- and here is why i told you at the outset that i would not answer "yes" or "no" -- it is up to YOU to consult with YOUR religious leaders, YOUR family's way of working, and YOUR own spiritual discernment. Only YOU know YOUR path, and the only logical advice i can give you is to plow the furrow set before you by your own direct experiences of God (this is called "personal gnosis") and / or to work by the rules and regulations set forth (or not set forth) by the clergy of your own religion, if you have one.

Read a lot more in this book:

BOO-FLS-HSAA
Hoodoo Shrines and Altars by Miss Phoenix LeFae
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
http://www.luckymojo.com/luckymojopublishing.html
catherine yronwode

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu Jan 31, 2019 5:31 pm

Thank you, Miss cat, for such an epic and enlightening post! I read it on the subway home from work and nearly missed my stop because I was so engrossed in your words. That was wonderful, thank you.

red_crowfeed

Unread post by red_crowfeed » Fri Feb 01, 2019 10:49 am

Thank you for sharing that knowledge. That is awesome.

jon saint germain
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jon saint germain » Tue Feb 12, 2019 5:48 am

Yes, what Sister Jean says. You can also make an Altar Box if you are short on room. Collect items and photos in a box that represent your beloved ancestor, bless and sanctify the box as you would an Altar, and keep it somewhere safe (away from kids, cats and dogs, for example). I've seen lovely Altar boxes, with decopage and applique. Good luck, and bless you.
Rev Jon Saint Germain
HRCC Grad - BOD AIRR - BOD AISC - Hoodoo Psychics - Crystal Silence League

Mamawolf

Unread post by Mamawolf » Thu May 30, 2019 10:43 am

Can anyone recommend someone they have worked with in regards to getting an ancestor reading?

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Thu May 30, 2019 12:00 pm

Mamawolf ,

We do not make recommendations on the forum as many of the members of AIRR are also members of this forum and contributors to many of the Lucky Mojo productions. You can go to the AIRR website and read about the different members, and read through the customer testimonials on the forum about those readers.

You can also search through the directory of AIRR members who perform mediumship and contact with the deceased, including ancestors:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... or_Clients

Hope that helps.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu May 30, 2019 12:41 pm

Hello Mamawolf,

I have moved this conversation to the topic on working with ancestors. Please read through this new thread for other advice and information that can help you.

Good luck.

martinezmarco296
Newly Registered

Unread post by martinezmarco296 » Sat Jul 20, 2019 2:28 pm

First and foremost I want to let you know I looked and could not find an answer to my question.

I want to know if there is a way to do a "spell" or work to call on family that has pass on to help.

I want to ask my grandmother and my great grandmother to help me with a situation with an individual.

In place of calling on evil or things like intranquil spirit I was wondering if one can asked a deceased relative to help instead.

Is there any spell or prayers , candles etc., I could use. Both my grandmother and great grandmother were strong believers.

Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sat Jul 20, 2019 9:25 pm

Hello martinezmarco296,

Yes you could call on your ancestors for help. Have you read through the posts in this thread? There are lots of ideas here to help you get started, so do please read from the beginning. If you then still have questions, feel free to ask us.

Good luck.

Learline

Unread post by Learline » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:03 am

Hello everyone
I want to set up my ancestor altar on my fireplace mantel where I have the ashes of both my parents. My question is should they be on my altar if they both were alcoholics and drug addicts? They were not together and did not speak to each other. Should I keep them there or remove them? I'm asking mainly because of the addictions. Thank you.

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Fri Nov 01, 2019 9:18 am

Hi Learline,

It really is up to you which ancestors you feel drawn to work with on your altar. It's a very personal decision, based on what feels correct for you. If you don't like that they were alcoholics and had drug addiction issues, maybe think about whether or not you'd like them assisting in your work, or whether you'd like to keep that separate.

We really can't advise about what you "should" do, because it's dependent on your relationships with the deceased and how you feel about building a personal altar.

If you're stuck, the book Miss cat mentioned above, "Hoodoo Shrines and Altars: Sacred Spaces in Conjure and Rootwork" by Miss Phoenix LaFae may help you make those decisions for yourself and your husband.

https://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooshrinesandaltars.html

Best of luck to you both!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC Graduate #2163G
Tarot Reader, Rootworker, and Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:14 am

Hello, Learline --

I see that the question has drifted from "Can my husband and i use the same altar?" to "Should i set up an ancestor altar to venerate my parents, who were not together in life and who also had alcohol and drug addictions?"

So, i will leave the question of your husband and altar-sharing behind, and move on to the question of what constitutes a worthy ancestor and how those of us who have what some might call "wounded" ancestors can handle their conflicted emotions of love, gratitude, affection, despair, anger, and hatred and forge a bond with ancestors who were troubled and troubling while alive.

For this reason, i have moved your new question, FiachnaCybele's reply to it, and this reply of mine to a new topic thread -- "Graveyard, Ancestors, Mediumship, Dying, Death, The Dead."

As FiachnaCybele said, any decisions you make will have to be personal, but i would like to add that because you are not the first person who has walked this path, there happens to be quite a lot of religious theory and community wisdom on the subject, and it is available to you, should you choose to take it.

Ancestor veneration, Spiritism, and Spiritualism, as practiced in the Americas since the 1850s , are what we call "open congregation" religions. That is, you do not have to be born as the descendant of someone in the religion, nor do you need to be initiated in order to participate in the practice of the religion, nor is your entrance into the religion mediated by a member of the clergy (such as a priest or priestess) who can gainsay your admission, nor do you need to undergo any sort of ordeal trial or probationary period before being allowed to perform venerations according to the precepts of the religion.

Because of their loose structure in modern times, open congregation religions do have a tendency toward loose community bonds, and some are engaged by solitary practitioners, outside a physical church structure. When practiced in the home, they are also part of what are called "domestic religions."

The fact that some religions have an open congregation structure and are practiced in the home does NOT mean that they have no body of shared community wisdom and practice. It does NOT mean that they are something you can "make up as you go along."

Also be aware that not all open congregation religions are domestic religions and not all domestic religions are open congregation religions. Nor are either restricted to religions that include ancestor veneration. They overlap, and i am discussing the religious practices that fall within the area of overlap between open congregation and domestic religions -- and also overlap with the set of religions which include the practice of ancestor veneration.

In order to engage in the practices of a domestic and / or open congregation ancestor veneration religion, you would do well to meet others who are also members of the religion and learn from them the continuity and customs of the practice. Failing that, you ought to read books, watch videos, and otherwise receive and put into practice the historical wisdom and knowledge of the religion.

As an example, the domestic ancestor veneration of the ancient Romans differs from that of the modern Kardecian Spritists, and both differ from the practices of the modern Spiritual Church Movement. Each has many interesting qualities, and, believe me, each has grappled with the issue of "unworthy ancestors." How this matter is resolved within each religion is a matter of local culture and custom. There is no one answer to the question. Either you can do as FiachnaCybele suggested, and pioneer your own way through the problem, or you can take my advice, offered freely, which has gained many adherents, and is certainly well known and well practiced at this time.

But first, let us look at our options. There are, essentially, four -- and each has been the custom in one ancestor-veneration religion or another, at different times:

1) Banishment. The unworthy ancestors can be exiled or banished from the altar. They are divorced from the family. In many cultures, this is accomplished by visiting the grave, presenting a list of grievances, and spitting or pissing on the grave of the ancestor, with a final curse.

2) Release. The unworthy ancestors can be forgiven and released to go on to meet their God, or be reborn, or go to Hell, or go to Heaven, according to whatever afterlife cosmology one accepts. This is often done by calling upon higher spirits such as angels, archangels, or god(s) to administer to the ancestor whatever punishment or reward is to be meted out. This can be accomplished by scattering flowers on their graves or dispersing their ashes into the wind or the sea.

3) Negotiated or Mediated Contact. The unworthy ancestors may be contacted in spirit by a professional trance medium, who will convey and relay messages to them and from them. This may develop into a protracted series of mediumistic seances within a Spiritualist church or consulting room setting, but it is also possible to uncover a mediumship gift within oneself and to make the contacts in the home. Negotiated contact is, alas, subject to fraud on the part of false mediums, so it must be entered into with absolute trust and confidence. In particular, be wary of any spirit medium or ancestor reader who tells you that you must pay for expensive gifts or an elaborate ceremony in order to "settle" the ancestors, and that they will "haunt" you if you fail to pay.

4) Elevation. The unworthy ancestors can be asked to mend their unfortunate ways and can be guided in an upward and redemptive path through which, as spirits, they will come to see what they did wrong, to cast aside their frailties, and to become worthy members of the spirit world. This is accomplished with an actual physical piece of domestic altar work, called an ancestor elevation. There are many versions of such a ceremony, but an especially traditional one can be found in the book "Deliverance" by Khi Armand.

Study and learn, for in the end is YOU, not a priest or a root doctor, who must choose which course your acknowledgement and veneration of these troubled ancestors will take. Here is a link to the book "Deliverance" --

BOO-GRI-DELI
Deliverance by Khi Armand
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

Contents

Dedication 4
Acknowledgements 4
About This Book 5
Who Will Deliver Us? 6
What Is Hoodoo? 7
The Terminology of Conjure 8
On the Purchase of Spiritual Products 9
On Botanicals, Minerals, and Animal Curios 10
Diagnosing Spiritual Problems 11
Understanding Magic 11
Understanding Spiritual Gifts 13
Understanding Initiatory Crises 14
Understanding Jinxes and Crossed Conditions 16
Understanding Intrusive Spirits and Energies 17
Understanding Curses 18
Interpreting Dreams, Signs, and Omens 20
Formal Methods of Divination and Reading 23
Spiritual First Aid Spells 26
Uncrossing and Spiritual Cleansing 29
Uncrossing Money: Deliverance from Poverty 39
Uncrossing Love: Deliverance from Loneliness 45
Uncrossing Health Matters 49
Uncrossing Legal Matters 54
Dealing with Intrusive Spirits and Energies 58
Reversing and Protection 60
Carrying the Good Work On 66
Unlocking Clarity and Self-Mastery 66
When You Are Stuck: Block Buster Work 69
When You Are Ready: Road Opener Work 71
Maintenance: How Often Should You Cleanse? 72
Developing Relationships with Helping Spirits 73
Developing Relationships with Ancestors 74
Developing Relationships with Angels and Saints 79
How to Find the Right Root Doctor 86
Spiritual and Social Resources 89
Frequently Asked Questions 90
Bibliography 96
catherine yronwode

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Fri Nov 01, 2019 10:37 am

Thank you for the wisdom, Miss cat! Like Learline, I'd actually be struggling with this question myself, and this historical info and advice on where to go to learn more is super helpful. It's difficult when ancestors are reaching out, but you had challenging relationships with them when they were alive, to say the least.

I haven't read "Deliverance!" by Khi Armand yet, but now it's bumped to the top of my reading list.
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC Graduate #2163G
Tarot Reader, Rootworker, and Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Learline

Unread post by Learline » Thu Nov 07, 2019 8:35 am

Thank you both Miss Cat and FiachnaCybele. I also will be picking up deliverance. Thank you Miss Cat so much. You are so informative.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Nov 09, 2019 1:26 pm

Learline, you are most welcome.

As a matter of fact, text in the forum tends to be accessed sporadically, because few newcomers bother to read 5 or more previous pages of questions and replies (more's the pity) so when i write a substantial answer, i save it in my hard-drive for future thinking. Replying to serious questions of methodology such as yours often provides me with an opportunity to create short essays or outlines, such as the one above, and i save these for use as springboards to further writing when i compose books or web pages.

So thank YOU for a good question!
catherine yronwode

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”