Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Oil Lamps Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
deep_waters79
HRCC Student

Re: Oil Lamps Questions and Answers

Unread post by deep_waters79 » Thu Jul 26, 2018 10:28 am

Hello,

I was reading the Deacon Millet book "Hoodoo Return and Reconciliation Spells" and have a question about pg 47 - Rustic Hoodoo Lamps. Here the instructions use a canning jar filled with vegetable oil.

Cooking oils are considered combustible not flammable and once they reach their flash point and ignited can burn very intensely. I have concern about safety and accidentally creating a 'moltov cocktail.'

I believe people also use kerosene in this type of work. Would it be safer (and just as effective) to use kerosene in a canning jar?

Thank you for all advice

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jul 26, 2018 11:01 am

thewarning --

No matter what the fuel, the key to making a lamp is to confine the burning to the wick, not to the surface of the oil. In addition, you must have the right kind of wick for the fuel. You cannot use a kerosene burner and flat braided kerosene wick with cooking oil and you cannot use a cooking oil wick holder and rolled cotton wick with kerosene.

You may only safely use kerosene in a canning jar if you have a proper kerosene burner and flat braided kerosene wick attached. Kerosene lamps need restricted air flow and a properly trimmed wick. See our book "The Black Folder."

If you want a simple pattern for making a rustic cooking oil lamp with a rolled cotton wick made from bandage gauze and an easy-cut metal holder that confines the burning to the wick, again, see our book "The Black Folder."

The Black Folder edited by catherine yronwode

Use in Magic:
A complete set of all of the flyers distributed through the Missionary Independent Spiritual Church Workshops, PLUS copies of all of the Lucky Mojo Curio Company's free spell flyers, conveniently collected into one oversize paperback book (8 1/2" x 11") printed to look like an old fashioned black report cover. Includes: Astrology and Hoodoo, Black Walnut Spell, Bottle Spells, Bread Spells, Break Up Spells, Candle Burning Basics, Candle Divination, Candle Ministries, Container Spells, Cooking with Magical Herbs, Court Case Spells, Crystal Balls, Cut and Clear Spell, Doll Babies, Doll Babies for Cursing, Foot Washing, Gambling Spells, Grocery Store Magic, Hand-On Healing Techniques, High-Tech Hoodoo, Honey and Sugar Spells, How to Use Bath Crystals, How to Use Incense, How to Use Oils, How to Use Sachets, Labyrinths for Spell-Casting and Personal Transformation, Latin American Saint Packets, Love Spells, Mirror Boxes, Mojo Bags, Money Spells, Moon Phases, Novena of Santisima Muerte, Oil Lamps, Patron Saints, Perfumes and Incenses, Protection Spells, Reading the Bones, Skull Sorcery, Spirit Traps, Spiritual Cleansing, Tarot Card Design, Tea Leaf Reading, and more. Authors include: catherine yronwode, Miss Bri, Lara Rivera, Prof. Charles Porterfield, Dr. James Dotson, Tanisia Mooney, Sister Robin Conjure, Ms. Robin York, Kast Excelsior, ConjureMan Ali, Khi Armand, Michele Jackson, Elvyra Curcuruto-Love, Dr. Johannes Gardback, Deacon Millett, Lou Florez, Valentina Burton, Marin Graves, and Dr. E.

Spell Methods:
Lucky Mojo Books are filled with authentic and easy to follow instructions for practical spells of magic and fortune-telling. Enhance your success in spells of love, luck, happiness, and wealth by learning time-tested folkloric traditions of hoodoo, rootwork, psychic reading, spiritual sorcery, and herbalism.

Product Details:
136-page paperback, illustrated

BOO-GRI-BKFO
The Black Folder edited by catherine yronwode
$12.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
http://www.luckymojo.com/theblackfolder.html
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

ScorpioKate

Unread post by ScorpioKate » Thu Jul 26, 2018 8:18 pm

Hi thewarning!

Just to piggy back off of Miss cat's response, combustible is actually safer than flammable. The terminology is counter intuitive. Neither fluid is "combustible" in the sense that the word is typically used. It just means it can be ignited, but you still will need to light it (it won't ignite without a flame) and it won't explode (explosions are very difficult to cause, despite what the movies show lol).

Vegetable oil being more difficult to ignite than flammable fluids means that it will burn off very slowly but will have just enough energy from the burn off to keep the flame burning the fuel and not the wick. Once the fuel is depleted, the flame will burn the wick and will eventually go out, once it burns away whatever amount of wick you have above the burner.

Kerosene is also in the "combustible" category, as is a regular solid candle. The labels are more about shipping declarations than anything else.

I personally prefer lamps to candles because they're more sturdy and they are safer than candles in my personal experience. Especially the vegetable oil ones because I have a hard time keeping them lit lol. I'm easily scared, though, so I had to sit there and watch a couple lamps completely burn through before my eyes, with a bucket of sand and a bucket of water next to me, before I felt comfortable trusting them.

If you're new to lamps like I was, it seems like it's dangerous but as long as you keep it free and clear of all objects, and remember to look above it too and make sure there aren't any curtains that could blow above the flame or the chimney, then there isn't any way the flame can escape the lamp. Even if it tips over, the fuel will put the flame out which is also opposite of movies lol. But I bury mine halfway deep in a bucket of sand so literally, no matter what happens, that flame won't cause any problems.

I hope this helps alleviate some fears! I can totally relate to the "trust but verify" technique, being an engineer :)

Sister Jean
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Sister Jean » Sun Jul 29, 2018 7:42 am

Thanks for your detailed and thoughtful reply, ScorpioKate!
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

erinhandy
HRCC Student

Unread post by erinhandy » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:34 pm

Greetings!

I haven’t posted yet in the forum but I’m excited to be here and love LM...so please do let me know if I’m doing anything wrong. Thank you so much for your help.

I have been dealing with the effects of getting a concussion this last July 10th. I recently got a King Solomon candle to help with my school endeavors because I’ve had some serious issues with memory, headaches, etc. On my way home from LM last week I got the idea of making a lamp for this work. I stopped by the thrift store and found a little glass oil lamp that I bought to use for this endeavor.

My question is what LM oils, curios, etc. do y’all recommend for this particular lamp? It has a very small opening so the items can’t be too large. I like the suggested use of the pure paraffin oil so plan to use that. I don’t believe it’s tinted so will probably be clear. Maybe I’m wrong? Is it ok to put oils with this paraffin? Any ideas or advice is great and appreciated...even I you think it’s not a good idea.

Thanks!
HRCC Student #2182

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 06, 2018 9:57 pm

Hello, erinhandy --

I prefer not to put scented oils in the kerosene or paraffin oil of an oil lamp, because it can gum up the wick. Instead, i put small curios inside. Small roots, coins, lodestones, pyrites, stones, and the like work best for me. Larger items can be hung on the outside of the lamp, wth a cord that goes around the "necK' of it, just under the burner. These can be dressed with scented oils.

I have at times purchased and used dyed oils and have dyed my own, but just as often i use clear oil and have purchased vntage lamps with coloured glass bases.

There are a couple of extremely helpful artciles on oil lamps in our book, The Black Folder." The article by Dr. E. tells how to make vegetable oil rustic lamps. The article by Prof. Porterfield tells how to set up a kerosene lamp.

Now, to address your specific question:

King Solomon Wisdom is the perfect choice for spiritual treatment of the concussion. You will want Solomon Seal root. We carry it, if you cannot find it locally. put some of that in the reservoir of the lamp.

Under the lamp, set the Solomonic seal called the Fourth Pentacle of Mercury, to “acquire the understanding and knowledge of all things created,” and, in short, to enhance wisdom.

12" Kerosene Oil Lamp With Loop Handle

Use in Magic:
Lamps are employed in folk-magic by practitioners who perform long-term spell-casting in matters of love, money, success, career, protection, healing, court-cases, and cursing. The lamp wick may be fixed with magical oils, the reservoir may contain amulets or curios, and additional curios may be hung by strings around the outside of the reservoir.

Spell Methods:
Altar tools are used in spells performed on a flat working space; they include items used to cover the space, hold offerings, manipulate candles, and perform mystical rites.

Product Details:
12" Kerosene Oil Lamp With Loop Handle, complete with metal burner, glass chimney, and flat woven wick; no kerosene supplied; purchase it locally.

ALT-LIT-KERO
$20.75

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html
catherine yronwode

RunningBlue

Unread post by RunningBlue » Sun Sep 16, 2018 9:12 am

Hi!
I would like to set up a Crown of Success lamp. Couldn't I just order a mojo bag kit and dump the contents into the lamp reserve and use some associated oil to it? or is there something more or less needed? is there a kit for oil lamps? Thank you :)

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:35 am

RunningBlue,

Yes you can order a crown of success spell kit and use the items in the spell. I would not buy a mojo and "dump" it into a container, mojos are living spirits that are attuned to you to work for a goal. You do not just "dump" items into any spell either, it actually involves the invoking of the spirit of the herb and using it for a goal, this is often done with prayer and petition over the item, the item should be regarded with respect. There is a lamp you can order, or even a honey jar for success you can order depending on preference. Otherwise, order items linked to success and add them to the lamp, on the wick of the lamp pin a petition paper at the very bottom which you prayed and 5 spot dressed. Add lamp oil and add a bottle of crown of success oil. You can purchase a lamp at many shops including craft stores and walmart.

Crown of success kit: http://www.luckymojo.com/spell-crown-of-success.html
Crown of success honey jar: http://www.luckymojo.com/honey-jar-spel ... ccess.html
Crown of success oil: http://www.luckymojo.com/oil-crown-of-success.html
Oil lamps mid way down the page: http://www.luckymojo.com/moneydrawing.html
Mini lamps LM sells 1/3 down the page: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.h ... cellaneous

Here are some (not all ) herbs and roots to add for success:
High John Root for success: http://www.herbmagic.com/john-the-conqu ... small.html
Lucky hand root if you are seeking success in work your hands do: http://www.herbmagic.com/lucky-hand-root-small.html
Master root to master all things or your desire: http://www.herbmagic.com/master-root-pieces.html
Lodestone to draw success: http://www.herbmagic.com/lodestone-small-single.html
Magnetic sand to feed the stone: http://www.herbmagic.com/magnetic-sand.html
Pyrite for money and career success, good fortune: http://www.herbmagic.com/pyrite-chunk.html
5 finger grass to be successful in all things the hands can do: http://www.herbmagic.com/five-finger-grass.html
Master of the woods, to be successful and a master of what you do: http://www.herbmagic.com/master-of-the-woods.html
Solomon seal to be smart make wise decisions and success: http://www.herbmagic.com/solomons-seal-root.html
Cinnamon which attracts money and luck ( among other things): http://www.herbmagic.com/cinnamon-powder.html

This is a very short but a place for you to start and think about the items that can be added to the lamp. In conjunction to these you can also purchase yellow lamp oil or dye it yellow for success. Read Psalms 23 daily while praying for success.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

erinhandy
HRCC Student

Unread post by erinhandy » Sun Sep 16, 2018 2:49 pm

Thank you Ms. Cat for the response!

I just had a chance to read your response and I really appreciate it. I love the idea of hanging items by the neck of the lamp also. Very great recommendation.

I was looking at the seals last time I was at your shop. I’ve been listening to old radio shows and every once in awhile y’all mention them. Very interesting. I will read up on them and also check out that book/article.

Thanks again. The King Solomon candle helping a lot and I have been using the oil on my head as well.

Lots of love and respect to you.

Best,
~ Erin
HRCC Student #2182

RunningBlue

Unread post by RunningBlue » Mon Sep 17, 2018 6:03 am

Thank you JayDee!
be getting a shopping list together and want to get this started

Dmilud

Unread post by Dmilud » Mon Dec 24, 2018 1:19 pm

Hi!

As the new year is approaching I am thinking of setting an oil lamp for a general protection/luck/prosperity sort of thing. I guess it would be more of a general purpose lamp as I would still go to candle magic for any specific situation that may require it.

I have never made an oil lamp before, does anyone have any suggestions of what to use for it?

Thank you all and happy holidays for those celebrating! :)

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Dec 24, 2018 4:20 pm

Hi Dmilud,

This is a lovely idea for the start of the new year.

You're in the right thread for answers to your question, so read through the pages here and chances are you will find advice and ideas to help you.

Choose your petition carefully if you plan to maintain this work throughout the year. Do you want good luck? Or to attract good things to you? Or to provide spiritual protection? Choose your desired outcome and work your lamp towards that goal. You can always perform specific spells for other goals as they arise.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Tue Dec 25, 2018 11:04 am

Dmilud,

Do as Miss Athena said, a strong clear petition to the purpose is important. Then select herbs, hard roots and curios that would match the goal. You add them to the base along with a bottle of condition oil with the fuel. Take a pin and pin the petition to the end of the lamp in the container of fuel.
Last edited by Miss Athena on Tue Dec 25, 2018 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed references to retailers outside of Lucky Mojo
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

WhiteWitch81

Unread post by WhiteWitch81 » Thu Dec 27, 2018 2:21 pm

I’m going to add a love lamp to my spell. Never done it before, how do you make one ?

Dr Darensbourg
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Dr Darensbourg » Thu Dec 27, 2018 3:11 pm

Hey there, WhiteWitch81,

If you look at the post just above yours you'll find JayDee has already answered your question. This is a very straightforward and easy way of setting up an oil lamp.
The Future is in Your Hands,

Dr. Keith Darensbourg, Ch.D
Correspondence Course Graduate #2132G

Calypso721

Unread post by Calypso721 » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:19 pm

I light a money lamp to help draw clients to my etsy shop (tarot readings) usually it burns slow....today, my,my...she was hungry ! Burned through half her vase of oil ...what does this mean ???

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Jul 10, 2019 5:40 pm

Hello Calypso721,

We don't provide candle divination on the forum but as a general principle, a fast burn can suggest quick results but they may not last. I hope you get an influx of new business but keep your lamp burning to keep that energy going.

You can read more about candle magic divination here:
http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagicdivination.html

Good luck!

Calypso721

Unread post by Calypso721 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 12:20 am

Thanks Miss Athena
I do as well(over my main 9 to 5 lol)
Also,
My chimney gets hot towards the top, like super hot ...it wont shatter /melt , will it ??? Or is it recommended to swap out chimneys everyday/couple of hours ?

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Thu Jul 11, 2019 7:05 am

Calypso721 ,

Yes they can break just like any glass container can when too hot. If it is getting that hot, lower the flame a bit, seems you may have it up a bit high. You can swap out but be careful 1 the hot one will burn you, 2 the not hot one will hit flames and can break from intense heat.

Calypso721

Unread post by Calypso721 » Thu Jul 11, 2019 8:20 am

Thank you JayDee!
I'll make sure to swap them out . .last thing I need is for all this to go up in smoke

Starkgenius
HRCC Student

Unread post by Starkgenius » Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:41 am

When I made my lamp after treating and praying over each root and dressing the curios. I cut a slice off each root and made a coresonding Mojo I pray over the Mojo away from the lamp. Then I warm and feed the Mojo by the flame of the lamp at home. Both are really workin. Is this an uncommon practice,? It came to me and just felt right
Steve

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:36 am

Starkgenius,

It is not uncommon to make a mojo and set a light for the same purpose. Many workers will do a money drawing mojo bag with a money drawing lamp or candle as well (just an example). If it is working and you are seeing great results then keep it up. Be careful when you put the mojo bag over the flame that you did not recently feed it with anything alcohol based like Hoyts cologne or whisky , it will ignite!

Starkgenius
HRCC Student

Unread post by Starkgenius » Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:19 pm

Thanks!
Another safety tip never throw water on an oil fire. Use an extinguisher that is for grease fires.
That said I saw some great antique lamps in thrift stores CHEAP! I never get them though, just the thought of accidentally summoning somebodys dead Polish grandmother is enough to make me buy new.

psalms.magick

Unread post by psalms.magick » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:04 pm

I am also thinking of an oil lamp. I have a few questions.

I have been doing a Martinistic/kabbalistic prayer to the planetary arch angels daily. I am trying to become acquainted with them. I am also trying to figure out how to make sure Sandalphon, Raziel, and Metatron get their prayer in too. (if the tree is about balance, then leaving 3 angels out is probably not too smart of a thing to do)

1) f I bought a large oil lamp could I burn that to all of the them, or must each archangel have a lamp or candle for themselves?

2) Is there some way to make the oil in the lamp also burn essential oils or would I need to bruise fresh herbs and let them sit in the oil for them to be absorbed to have an incense effect?

3) I like to have flame, oil, and frequently incense along with whatever food they like as a sort of offering. (Haniel likes apples so I cut one into 7 pieces and put it next to a green candle for her on Friday, I also gave her/him some Nutmeg too along with some meditation/prayer.) Does LuckyMojo sell oils that would satisfy this need?)

4) I don't think I would try just one lamp for 10 different Saints, but the Archangels of the tree work as a team, they need each other, presumably they know how to cooperate. If a single lamp is acceptable, what if I could get a blown glass one in the different colors of the Sefirot? Would that work? Does anyone have any ideas on this?

5) Also, I read an earlier post, from 2009, saying that a Prof. Porterfield might be able to make me a lamp but I searched and Prof. Porterfield did not come up where he was supposed to.

Please forgive any stupid/naive questions. It is not my intent to be disrespectful. Spiritual guidance, of the kind that I seek, is hard to find thus making proper etiquette more difficult to figure out .

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:25 pm

psalms.magick --

1) In the old, traditional way, yourwould light a separate candle or lamp to each Planetary Archangel on his or her day. You could keep a separate one for each non-planetary archangel as well.

2) That depends on the type of oil you are burning in your lamp. Do not try to add essential oils to kerosene lamp oil. You may add a drop if you use vegetable oil as your fuel. See "The Black Folder" for details on both kinds of lamps.

3) We make planetary oils, and we also make oils for the major Archangels, as we have received requests -- Michael and Gabriel are the most popular. The lists are online at our oils catalogue here, here: http://luckymojo.com/mojocatoils.html

4) I think this is a splendid idea -- if you can get such a lamp made, or modify a clear glass lamp by decouaging the images on the glass reservoir.

5) Prof. Porterfield has his own web site. You can find him via google. Another person who may be able to help you with sephirotic or kaballistic magic is Dr. Jeremy Weiss. You can find him at AIRR and online in various places. His company is Dr Jeremy Weiss' Jewish Amulets. He is a glass blower, by the way, and makes spectacular Jewish amulet bowls, with custom inscriptions.
catherine yronwode

psalms.magick

Unread post by psalms.magick » Mon Dec 23, 2019 8:51 am

So in the old traditional way I would have 1 lamp/candle for each Archangel, but you think by getting a lamp with different colors it might work for the Archangels. I am not sure what that means but I do thank you. Maybe I can get some more information by following up on the names you provided. Thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:25 am

Hi, psalms.magic --

I'd like to clarify. What i said about a multicoloured lamp was this: "I think this is a splendid idea -- if you can get such a lamp made, or modify a clear glass lamp by decoupaging the images on the glass reservoir."

Having a multicoloured lamp made would be expensive, so what occured to me was this:

Here in the USA there is a kind of kerosene lamp that was made for at least 75 years that has eight faceted side on the reservoir. They were made as recently as the 1970s. I have owned several of them and i also have bought used ones and reconditioned them for sale in my shop. They are not expensive. What occurred to me was to print a small picture of each archangel and decoupage one picture on each facet of the lamp and then turn that facet to face you when you set the lamp for that archangel. It was just a passing thought. Make of it what you will.
catherine yronwode

psalms.magick

Unread post by psalms.magick » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:20 pm

That is a great idea.
I really like that, it is a simple fix and gives proper respect to all the angels.

I have another oil lamp question but this one is about ingredients in a money lamp.
I watched a YouTube video on creating one.

(I try to look at several sources before I do anything myself, so I have been watching money magic by Clifford Hartleigh Low, and some other conjure/spell/magickal workers and this lady sort of stood out)

In this video the lady was putting all kinds of different herbs into the base of the lamp, she had a lodestone and a torn up dollar and other things too, but she kept adding all these herbs and they all had the same purpose; to draw money.

I liked the video but I also thought about baking a cake. If I add refined sugar, and also unrefined sugar, and maybe cane sugar, and some granular sugar, and next some powdered sugar, then perhaps even some mollasses to sweeten it more. Isn't it going to be too sweet. Won't everyone get sick?

Anyway, what I am trying to say is how much variety is too much variety?

Or does going to all this trouble to procure the herbs all add to our intent/desire?

FiachnaCybele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by FiachnaCybele » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:32 am

Hi psalms.magick,

I definitely think your common sense is letting you know that, at least when it comes to food, more isn't always more. You wouldn't want to make people sick or make something that tastes awful, so that people won't want to eat it and get the benefit of your spell.

However, when it comes to herbs in a spell such as a lamp, you are really only limited by what you can procure and what you can afford. Many people would rather buy the Lucky Mojo Money Herbs Mix than puchase the individual herbs and blend their own. It is a good compromise between too little and too much, because it is "just right.

Money Herbs and Spices Mixture

Use in Magic:
Under its original Jewish name of Besamim Spices, this mixture is used to inhale the fragrance at the close of the Sabbath, with thanks to God. In hoodoo practice, as a Money Herbs Mixture it is safe for a floor wash or, diluted, in a bath, and while many also use it as an incense to burn on charcoal or for dressing candles; if brewed as a tea it is very spicy and bitter, so add green or black tea while brewing it, to make a form of chai.

Spell Methods:
Use custom-blended herb mixtures to dress candles, burn with incense, scatter as floor or yard sprinkles, brew bath-teas and floor washes, carry in mojo hands and conjure bags, hide in bed-packets, or include within bottle, jar, bowl, box, or freezer spells.

Product Details:
Contains 7 herbs and spices (Besamim) alleged to bring abundance and wealth.

HEZ-MIX-MONE
Money Herbs and Spices Mixture
$4.50

http://www.herbmagic.com/money-herbs-mixture.html

And speaking of cakes, here is a great book published by Lucky Mojo about Hoodoo Food:

BOO-GRI-HOFO
Hoodoo Food! The Best of the Conjure Cook-Off
$9.00

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoofood.html

But ... getting back to oil lamps: Long story short, you can work as simply as you'd like, or add more ingredients, but definitely always think about what you're trying to accomplish and which ingredients would be best suited for the task. Also, compare the size of the lamp reservoir to the contents. You might make a comparison with a mojo bag, for instance. Think about size, too. If you have 13 ingredients in a mojo, it might be too big and bulky to be hidden well -- and in a lamp, the ingredients might fill the reservoir too full, limiting space for the wick and the fuel.

I hope that helps!
Fiachna Cybele
HRCC #2163G
Tarot Reader & Conjure

Thank you St. Joseph, Michael, & Raphael!

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:29 pm

I do need some information about an oil lamp I will probably buy from Lucky Mojo. Before I buy it I need some info. I need to make sure that I will Safely use the oil lamp.

The oil lamp is: The 12" Kerosene Oil Lamp with Loop Handle ($20.75) (ALT-LIT-KER). It should be at this web page: https://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html#matches. (Or go to https://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html and scroll down to where the section is called " MATCHES, LIGHTERS AND OIL LAMPS".) (You can probably see an image of this lamp here: https://www.luckymojo.com/kerosene-lamp ... handle.jpg.)

Here is what I need to know:

1) Which wick am I buy for this lamp?

2) Since I will use some red colored oil in the lamp, I need to know WHAT is the correct oil for me to use with this lamp.

I hope someone with knowledge about this oil lamp will provide answers for me.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:47 pm

Hello fire_and_ice,

1) The lamp comes with a wick, as described.

2) Any red lamp oil will work. You may purchase it locally or online..

Good luck.

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:55 pm

Thank you, Miss Athena. I did send an email a few hours ago. I don't know how long it might take for them to get back to me. I hope I hear by Monday. If not, I'll have to send another email.

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Fri Jan 17, 2020 7:59 pm

I don't know how much this varies by each oil lamp, but:

Does anyone know, for oil lamps in general, how much of the wick you're supposed to put inside the lamp when you are setting up the lamp?

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:04 pm

Hello fire_and_ice,

The wick is fitted into the metal burner as shown in the photo. The excess wick is loosely curled in the reservoir.

If you would like some one-on-one assistance from a professional, contact one of the members from AIRR to book a magical coaching session. It can help you learn exactly how to approach your spell and give you confidence in getting it right.

Find AIRR members here:
www.readersandrootworkers.org/

Good luck.

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Fri Jan 17, 2020 8:19 pm

Unfortunately, I'm short on cash right now for any magical coaching. I just need to find out about this specific item. I hope the Lucky Mojo shop will reply to the email I sent earlier today.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:53 pm

Hello,

Sorry i came into this conversation so late but:

This forum, not email, is where to ask questions about our products. You will probably receive a form letter telling you to ask at the forum!

We sell kerosene lamps. They are supplied with a wick, metal burner, and glass chimney. The wick goes into a burner; less than a quarter inch rises above the burner and the rest of the wick is in the oil reservoir. They come completely assembled with burner, wick, and chimney. You only have to add the lamp oil (kerosene). We cannot ship kerosene to you. If you wish to use coloured kerosene lamp oil, you may buy it locally or online. It is a standard household and camping product and has been for 150 years.

We also sell one kind of vegetable oil or ghee (butter) lamp -- an antique iron Chinese style -- and we only have two left in the shop and when they sell out we will not be able to get more, as they are antiques. They do not come with wicking, but the reservoir is quite small, so a small twist of gauze wick will be fine, perhaps one inch long. Vegetable oil lamps are usually made by practitioners at home. The way they are made -- that is, their form, including the size and shape of the reservoir -- will vary based on designs are greatly variable by culture and region of the world. Basically, you want a nice balance between wick and fuel oil. If you stuff too much wicking in the reservoir, you will not have room for much fuel and the wick will go dry and burn up. If you don't have enough wick, you will have to replace the wick, or sew new lengths of wick to the existing wick, at too-frequent intervals.

It's not rocket science. :-)

Good luck.

Use in Magic:
Lamps are employed in folk-magic by practitioners who perform long-term spell-casting in matters of love, money, success, career, protection, healing, court-cases, and cursing. The lamp wick may be fixed with magical oils, the reservoir may contain amulets or curios, and additional curios may be hung by strings around the outside of the reservoir.

Spell Methods:
Altar tools are used in spells performed on a flat working space; they include items used to cover the space, hold offerings, manipulate candles, and perform mystical rites.

Product Details:
12" Kerosene Oil Lamp With Loop Handle, complete with metal burner, glass chimney, and flat woven wick; no kerosene supplied; purchase it locally.

ALT-LIT-KERO
$20.75

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocattools.html
catherine yronwode

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:22 am

Thanks for the replies. I guess I can measure the wick when I get the lamp, so I know what size to get in the future. Since I've never before used any of these lamp oil products, I really don't have much knowledge of them.

This might sound like a silly question: Since I would use the lamp more than once for different purposes, I would think I would need to provide a new wick each time. Is that correct?

So, I could see how much wick comes with the lamp and then put that amount in the reservoir. Is that correct?

(If anyone has a general idea of about how much wick I would put in the reservoir, please let me know.)

It might not be rocket science for many people, but since I have never used the oil lamp (and wick, and such), it still does seem like rocket science to me.

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:32 am

And since people seem to have said that "any red lamp oil" will work, I guess the link I had provided (but which I think was deleted?) shows the red colored oil that I could safely use. And it says that it is "99-percent paraffin oil". I hope this can be Safely used with the oil lamp that Lucky Mojo sells. It is Not kerosene, it is red colored paraffin oil. I hope I can Safely use this with the oil lamp that Lucky Mojo sells.

I need to be sure I am using Safe products, products I can Safely use: I can't set my house on fire.

Terra Rising
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Terra Rising » Sun Jan 19, 2020 3:19 pm

fire_and_ice,

If you plan on using one lamp for different purposes, here is what I would do. Let's say you are going from love drawing to money work. I would finish the lamp oil and wick I used for the love drawing work. This could take awhile to burn it all down, depending on how big the lamp is. Then, I would fill it with lets say some green (money drawing) lamp oil, place my money drawing curios and coins in the oil, and then replace the wick with a new one. Once you fill up the lamp, let the wick soak for an hour in the oil. This will make sure it burns properly. I use lamp oil in my lamp, not kerosene because I hear it burns a bit cleaner. Yes, you can use either one.

I bought an antique lamp a while back and was a little nervous using it. Then the great California blackouts (thanks PG&E) started happening. I bought some lamp oil and fired it up. WOW, so much safer than trying to light up a room with a bunch of candles. The light was beautiful. I just wanted to say there is defiantly a practical side to oil lamps.

I hope this helps.
HRCC Graduate #2145

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Sun Jan 19, 2020 4:39 pm

Thank you, Terra Rising, for the reply.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 21, 2020 2:18 am

fire_and_ice --

First, yes, we are deleting all of the links to other vendors you are posting. We have sent you a board warning (you are at two warnings now) because posting links to other vendors is against the terms of service of this forum. Please understand we are not angry -- but this forum is not here to promote giant corporations.

Kerosene and lamp oil and paraffin oil and coal oil are THE SAME THING.

What you think may be different is that lamp oil is more purified form of kerosene. It gives off less soot and it is a bit costlier than regular kerosene, but they are otherwise the same. Either of them will work in a kerosene lamp, kerosene cook stove, kerosene heater stove, or kerosene refrigerator. (Yes, there are kerosene refrigerators.)
catherine yronwode

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Tue Jan 21, 2020 1:00 pm

A quick question about washing (and keeping clean) the oil lamp: How would I wash this oil lamp, and keep it clean? Would I just use mild dishwashing soap and wash it in the kitchen sink like I would glass dishes? (I do Not have a dishwasher.)

Maybe I would need to also use Hyssop oil (put in water) in order to keep the oil lamp Spiritually clean? (Or maybe something similar to Hyssop Oil.)

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu Jan 23, 2020 8:53 pm

Hello fire_and_ice,

I would hand wash the chimney with regular dishwashing soap and water, the way you would handle any other fine glassware.

Good luck.

fire_and_ice

Unread post by fire_and_ice » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:38 pm

Thank you for the reply Miss Athena. Yes, that seems to be what I was thinking: Using regular (or gentle) dishwashing liquid soap, and hand washing the oil lamp as gently as possible, like gently washing dishes, and avoiding breaking anything.

coastwitch

Unread post by coastwitch » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:39 pm

Just to be clear, y'all --

You do not need to wash out the reservoir inside the lamp. The opening is too small to get your hand or even a bottle brush into. Just wipe the outside down, as if it were a nice piece of glass statuary.

Wash the chimney by hand in warm soapy water whenever it gets sooty, just like a drinking glass. No need for hyssop -- you have not committed a sin by burning a lamp.

It will be a long time before you need another wick. They last for a long, long time. Once you have one and know your burner size, you can just order more.

A lamp is merely a tool, a common piece of household equipment. Most homes have them in case the electricity goes out. They last a lot longer than a battery-powered flashlight, that's for sure. They are neither dangerous (they are safer and cause fewer fires than candles do) nor are they difficult to use or understand. Just keep your wick nicely trimmed and set low enough to not soot up the chimney and you'll be fine.
coastwitch

ColetonCasano1991
HRCC Student

Unread post by ColetonCasano1991 » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:12 am

I had never really worked with fixed lamps in the past. But about 5 months ago, decided to fix one and sit it on my working altar. It is just a standard oil lamp, the kind you find at walmart. I cleansed the whole thing with florida water, then added lodestones, a whole high john root, and various coins of different denominations to it. As well as a good bit of Lucky Mojo Money House Blessing oil. That is the main purpose I want for the lamp, to draw blessings into the home, but particularly blessings of good business and money.

I've also turned some of the big bottles of lamp oil into various types of condition oils. One I added quite a bit of essential oils of lemongrass, citronella and vetiver to, to make it Van Van. Another I actually melted whole chunks and tears of benzoin, frankincense and myrrh into. I like that one in particular because the benzoin makes the oil a creamy white color. Almost reminiscent of milk and honey. From time to time I will add a few drops of Lucky Mojo oils to the lamp when refilling it.

Does this all sounds legitimate and good, or is there something I should add or be doing differently?
Gauranga

Terra Rising
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Terra Rising » Tue Mar 24, 2020 11:29 am

ColetonCasano1991,

I moved your post to this thread about oil lamps. I will have to ask you not to post new topics, instead use the search bar in the upper right hand corner. You will find that we have just about every subject already covered. Once you read the thread of interest and find you still have questions, please post using the Quick Reply on the bottom of the page.

I would be careful adding so much condition oil. The same goes for essential oils. A few drops is enough. The oil used for burning is different and you want to make sure it burns properly. Otherwise the lamp sounds great.
HRCC Graduate #2145

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 27, 2020 4:40 pm

Terra Rising is correct. A kerosene lamp cannot take too much vegetable-based condition oil because the vegetable oil will clog up the wick with gunk. Just add a few drops for scent.
catherine yronwode

bayap

Unread post by bayap » Mon Mar 30, 2020 7:49 pm

Hi! I had someone cast a blockbuster to remove obstacles between me and someone and also road opener candle spell.

Now i'm also gonna have a love oil lamp but was wondering ...

1) Is it okay to lit it only a few hours a day, maybe 6-8 hrs since im not always at home except on my day offs.

2) Will it affect the process or will the work be slower because I only lit it for a few hours?

3) And also do I need to lit a candle together with it, like a protection candle?

Thank you!

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Mar 31, 2020 1:20 am

Hello bayap,

Having your lamp lit for only part of the day should not impair your spell. It's better to practice fire safety so always be present when your lamp is lit. You don't need to light a candle with it unless you want to add helper lights to your spell. They can support your work, but they aren't necessary. Use your judgement based on your availability to tend to your spell.

I hope this helps. Good luck.

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 10:24 am

Hi,

Just a quick question. I was advised by a reader to set up a love altar but my space is very limited. So as of now I just have a self-contained oil lamp spell set up on a hanging shelf.

Contained within are the petition paper, dried rose petals, a little sugar, cinnamon sticks, and a few drops of love drawing oils. I placed an order this past week for more products but included are a pack of 9 love herb mix and 2 lodestones, which will be purposed for the oil lamp as well when they arrive.

With all that said, I have a newbie question about the lodestones - Once placed in the well of the lamp, will the oil interfere with the magnetic connection of the lodestones? Or will the magnetic sand still be able to adhere them together?

Terra Rising
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Terra Rising » Sun Apr 19, 2020 5:09 pm

jdsmooth85,

The oil should not interfere with the magnetic properties of the stone. Just feed them and place them inside. You may want to use chopsticks to position them together. You can also use the chopsticks to gently place them at the bottom of the well instead of dropping them in but that will depend a lot on how big the opening is.
HRCC Graduate #2145

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 9:17 pm

Terra Rising,

Thank you. I just wanted to be sure beforehand.

Good idea about the chopsticks! I will definitely get a pair.

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Mon Apr 27, 2020 8:04 pm

Hi, I'm back AGAIN for another question.

Ok, I just purchased a few herbs and curios from LM to use in a custom money draw oil lamp I'm going to assemble.

The money draw lamp was initially intended to be for my own personal use (meaning to just draw money to myself), but today I was reading up on LM's money house blessing products and I thought, "Wow, I could probably extend the purpose of this money draw lamp into a full blown money house blessing lamp!".

That said, I was thinking about getting some money house blessing mojo oil and incense, some peace water, and other items to properly "fix up" my house (as shown on the money house blessing page - https://www.luckymojo.com/moneyhouseblessing.html) so that myself and the members of my household can have steady income as well as peace and blessings.

I know that LM offers a full blown money house blessing honey jar kit as well as vigil candles, but I actually prefer to use an oil lamp because of the simple fact it is self-containing and can be kept going perpetually vs. having to keep ordering candles.

This runs into my main question....... being as I already plan to make a money draw oil lamp and have already ordered what I needed, would it be redundant to try to get some money house blessing herbs and curios to later add into the lamp? Or would I be good just by leaving it as it is and just using the other money house blessing products to cover the other bases?

I hope that my question isn't confusing. Thanks.

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Apr 29, 2020 2:24 pm

Hello jdsmooth85,

I would use them in other spells vs. adding them to your lamp. You don't want to clog up that oil with herbs etc., so if it were up to me, I would use them elsewhere.

Good luck.

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 11:18 am

Hi,

I'm back again with yet another inquiry regarding setting up an oil lamp (I see that I was the last person to inquire about them here, lol).

Ok, so I recently got into the habit of using oil lamps specifically for perpetual workings, while I reserve candles for more or less one-off type of “jobs”. After getting familiar with them I now have about 2 lamps that I work on the regular – a love drawing lamp and a money drawing lamp.

However, I am now looking to start a lamp for a new line of working……

I just read about the master key line of products and I became quite intrigued. My intention for employing master key would be specifically what it was designed for - occult mastery.

So about the lamp……the reason why I had the idea of using an oil lamp for master key work compared to candles is because I feel that occult mastery is something that would require work over a longer period of time so I feel that maybe a lamp would be better vs. candles because they can be used perpetually. Additionally (and this is completely my personal observation), I feel that my meditation work is stronger over oil lamps because I kind of view them as self-contained altars. I dunno why but that's just me.

In addition to the lamp I would of course be using other products in the master key line such as the incense and bath crystals. This would be to work it all from different angles.

1) I would actually like your honest opinion on whether or not an oil lamp would even be appropriate or necessary for what I want to achieve. I hope that my inquiry is clearly understood. If not, please ask me which specific areas to clarify.

2) I soon plan to purchase the special oil blend that Lucky Mojo offers and my particular blend would consist of master key, spirit guide, psychic vision, and king solomon wisdom oils. With that said, I want to build my oil lamp using roots, herbs, and curios that encompass all of those different areas.

3) Could anyone point me in the right direction as to which items (roots, herbs, curios) I would need to get this lamp started? Off the bat I do know that master root, solomon seal root, and possibly anise seed (for the psychic vision aspect) would be needed, but what about the others?

Thanks in advance.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:05 pm

jdsmooth85 --

1) This is a great idea and highly appropriate. Go for it!

2) This oil blend is very good -- and i think it will smell nice, too.

3) In addition to Master Root, Solomon Seal Root, and Anise Seed, try Bay Leaf for wisdom and victory of the mind, Jasmine Flowers for psychic dreams.

For more ideas, see the "Hoodoo at a Glance" web page, which is part of my free online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice"

Hoodoo At A Glance
https://luckymojo.com/hoodooataglance.html
catherine yronwode

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Wed Jun 10, 2020 3:43 pm

Thanks so much Ms. Cat!

The Hoodoo at a Glance page definitely helped a lot too!

jdsmooth85

Unread post by jdsmooth85 » Wed Jun 17, 2020 9:24 am

Hey Ms. Cat (or anyone available to chime in),

I'm returning about this inquiry.

Since the initial discussion I have gathered a few herbs I would like to use for the master key lamp I want to make, but before I list those I want to kind of go over what this is al about so everything is made clear........

Again, I plan to build a sort of occult mastery oil lamp. The lamp will be used as a focal point for meditation for wisdom in my spiritual practices, helping to increase psychic visions if possible, and connecting with ancestors or spirit guides to help out with my work.

When I activate the lamp I will use a few drops of special oil blend consisting of master key, spirit guide, psychic vision, and king solomon wisdom, because those are all the areas I want to cover.

I also stated initially that in addition to the lamp I will be using baths (nine herb or master key bath crystals) and incenses (copal oro to connect to the spirit world for guidance and master key incense powders to induce wisdom, mastery, etc) to support the work from different angles.

Back to the lamp. The herbs I selected for it are as followed.....
  • Master root - personal power
    Solomon seal root - wisdom
    Bay leaf - wisdom
    Frankincense - increases power and concentration
    Anise seed - psychic visions
    Celery seed - increases latent psychic powers and induces prophetic dreams
    Acacia leaves - symbolizes connections to the afterlife
    Althaea leaves (or holly leaves) - to attract benevolent spirits into home
As of now I do not know which curios to use, IF any are necessary at this point. If you have any input that would help.

So my actual questions are as followed.....
1)From the list of herbs presented above do you think they would be good for what I want to accomplish?

2)Do you think that anything from the overall picture is redundant? If so, what would you change or add?

3)Also, I would like to know if I could alternatively use a bit of the nine herb mix to put in the lamp instead? Or is that strictly for spiritual baths only?

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:51 pm

Hello jdsmooth85,

Your set up sounds fine to me. I would leave out the 9 Herb mix and reserve it for spiritual bathing.

Good luck with your lamp.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”