Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
LaToyaIsa
Newly Registered
Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread post by LaToyaIsa » Thu May 28, 2020 4:19 pm

Hello everyone! Just wanted to say that my books arrived today and I'm so happy. Hope everyone is safe and well. Looking forward to my reading after my work is done for the day :D

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu May 28, 2020 6:25 pm

LaToyaIsa --

I hope you enjoy the books. If you like them well enough to continue with your studies, i will be glad to have you as a student in my private correspondence course. If that interests you, then the next time you place an order with the shop, make a note in the message area and ask the order entry person to mark you as a "prospective student." They will track what you order against the prerequisites for the course and when you have everything on the list they will set up a phone call between the two of us.

Read the list of required books and sample products here:

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

Best wishes!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Spridle

Unread post by Spridle » Mon Jun 01, 2020 4:03 pm

:roll: The answer to my question is listed above.

One problem though, I want to take this correspondence course and I haven't been given the correct information.

Is there an email address to request an appointment to speak with you?

Where was that information listed in all the information I read to even get to this point of discovery?

I want to take this course really bad because I need order in this operation so to speak. I have mostly all the books and things required but how do I get to be a prospective student?

Yes I have ordered from lucky Mojo many times as well as the readings I choose for myself on the subject matter but, what do I do now?

Excited about things to come. Thank you to anyone who answers this for me. :D

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Jun 01, 2020 6:59 pm

Hello Spridle,

To qualify for the course, you need to have made the required purchases, so please contact the shop to have them review your orders. They can tell you if you are missing anything, and can proceed to schedule your interview.

You can call. the shop on 707-887-1521.

Good luck!
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

Spridle

Unread post by Spridle » Wed Jun 03, 2020 3:14 pm

ok I will do just that...

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jun 03, 2020 5:31 pm

Spridle --

When you order, drop a message in the mssage area of the order form saying "I am a prospective student." That alerts the order enterer to check off what you order against the lst of requirements.

If you have not done this already but have made many orders, you can phone the shop or just make the request with your next order.

There is no email for this because it is handled as part of order entry, generally speaking, and not as a private correspondence.

When you start to get close to having everything ordered, your name is flagged and you will be contacted 3 times to try to set up an appointment with me. If you change your mind and don't make an appointment, w will stop contacting you after three tries, which may come about a month or two apart.
catherine yronwode

Spridle

Unread post by Spridle » Thu Jun 04, 2020 8:33 am

Thank you.

Anath
HRCC Student

Unread post by Anath » Sat Jun 27, 2020 1:07 pm

I just signed up for the HRCC Hoodoo Rootwork Course.
HRCC Student #2215

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jun 27, 2020 5:53 pm

I am very happy to have you as a student, Anath.
catherine yronwode

Luther
HRCC Student

Unread post by Luther » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm

I just signed up for the HRCC Hoodoo Rootwork Course.
HRCC Student #2214

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:01 pm

I am very happy to have you as a student, Luther.
catherine yronwode

nyalisa_13

Unread post by nyalisa_13 » Wed Jul 01, 2020 5:35 pm

Hello! My name is Alisa, currently residing in Jersey City, NJ. I am super excited to have the opportunity to take the course and learn the roots and history of african-american conjure!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jul 01, 2020 10:44 pm

Thanks for your interest, nyalisa_13. It was pleasant spending time on the phone with you today and i hope you do take the course.
catherine yronwode

Spridle

Unread post by Spridle » Tue Jul 07, 2020 10:34 am

I am still interested in the correspondence course. I have been told a number of things about how to become a Hoodoo student. It seems nothing has been fruitful. For example, I was told by phone, on one occasion that I would need to email my information and I forgot to get the name of the person who told me that. Next, I am told to call and someone would return my call after reviewing my orders over some time to see what I still needed. I received no call. However, the last person I spoke with told me I had spoke with someone named River. I never received a call from anyone to date. I have waited over a month. I have never applied to be a student here before, and I know we're in a pandemic but, what a great time to do a correspondence course. A course I have been waiting a long time to take. Years and years as a matter of fact. The time is right for me now. I just want to see if what I already know has some foundation … I know it does. Please let me take this course. If I wasn't on the east coast I would be knocking at your door in CA. 8-)

Renata
HRCC Student

Unread post by Renata » Tue Jul 07, 2020 12:26 pm

It took me 8 years to finally have the money and the time to pursue this. I interviewed with Cat 8 years ago, then things fell apart and I did not have the money to start the course. The reason I waited so long to do this is because I did not want to be someone who started something to not finish it. So here I am finally.

I wonder if there are others who waited that long or longer between the interview and starting the course.

Also, how or where do I submit my student number?

Renata

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jul 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Hello, Renata!

You may take the record for the longest wait between the interview and signing up for my course, but a few students have you been for longest time between signing up and graduating.

I am glad to see you here again. Nagasiva merged for former account into your new one, and as a student. if you go on over to the "private / secret" student group within this forum, which is now open to you, you will see a thread with your name, student number, and a slightly different reply to you,

Yay! for the fact that we are both still alive, healthy, and ready to enjoy the tasks at hand.
catherine yronwode

Spridle

Unread post by Spridle » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:13 pm

Ok, I get it. Today is 7/25/2020 and my last post was 7/7/2020 I have not waited long enough. I'm beginning to lose interest. :cry:

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sat Jul 25, 2020 3:39 pm

Hello Spridle,

I'm so sorry you haven't received the answers you were looking for in a quick enough manner. I feel and can respect your frustration.

The shop has been working with a skeleton crew due to the pandemic, so folks there are multitasking their way through orders and communication every day. It's possible that sometimes things get overlooked or that it takes longer to respond to a question than it normally would. I'm sorry that your posts here have been similarly unattended - the forum is staffed by unpaid volunteers and we do our best to reply as quickly as possible.

To take Miss cat's comprehensive course, you would need to complete a set of purchases from Lucky Mojo, to ensure you have the appropriate products on hand to do the homework assignments. If you have already made purchases from Lucky Mojo, they would be able to review your history to see if you need additional products or not. Once you have acquired everything, you would be scheduled for an interview with Miss cat before being invited to take the course.

Please do contact the shop again and ask them to review your purchases. Let them know it has been several weeks since you first inquired and I'm sure someone will make it a priority to assist you.

The course is worth the time, and I wish you all good luck with it!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 27, 2020 12:09 am

Spridle,

I am sorry for the confusion. As Miss Athena said, we are working with a very short staff due to the pandemic.

I am not sure who told you to email your information to the shop, but our email is order@luckymojo.com

We have never had anyone named River working for us. I have no idea who that could have been.

The process is very simple. If you buy the required goods, Nicole or Leslie will set up an appointment for you to spend an hour talking with me on a Monday or Tuesday,

I wish i could help here in the forum, but the trouble is, your user name is not the same as your real name, so i don't know who you are.

Try phoning the shop on Monday and ask for Leslie. Explain to her that you are trying to set up an interview and would like to know what else, if anything, you need to order.

I will follow up with Leslie to be sure you get the data.
catherine yronwode

leslie131
Forum Moderator

Unread post by leslie131 » Mon Jul 27, 2020 3:02 pm

Hi Spridle!

You have already purchased most of the required items. The remaining goods which you personally need to purchase ASprerequisites for the Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course are:

Books:
Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic (soft cover or hard)
The Black Folder
The Red Folder

Products:
Incense Powder for attraction
Incense Powder for repelling or harm
Bath Crystals for attraction
Chinese Wash
Four Thieves Vinegar
An Herb Mixture
A mineral of a suitable size for use in a mojo (grit/gravel)
A resin incense
Charcoal disks
A 2-part water (e.g. Peace Water, Double-Luck Perfume)
An empty half-ounce bottle

You can find all of these via the Lucky Mojo Complete Inventory page at:
https://www.luckymojo.com/lucky-mojo-inventory.html

Good luck!
HRCC Graduate #1700

aurelialotus

Unread post by aurelialotus » Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:10 am

Hi! I'm so sorry if this question has been answered before! I did look over the 20 pages in this thread and also in the Course info pages but haven't found an answer.

I'm just wondering if not having FB is a barrier to being a student? I read how one needs to friend cat and join the group, so I'm hoping it will be okay to be a student without that aspect.

I've been studying over the last year with someone (online course) and am really looking now for a course more in depth. I just made my first purchase here too today :-) My bday tomorrow so figured, why not! I wanted to order so much but due to border fees will have to keep orders quite small.

Thanks in advance. :-)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Aug 11, 2020 4:23 pm

Hello, aurelialotus --

I use Facebook as a measure of a prospective student's interest in, committment to, or participation in the online African-American community and the online folk magic community. Instagram and twitter count as well. I simply have difficulty teaching people who want "the spells" without "the community." They almost never graduate, and when they do, they almost never serve or even acknowledge the Black rootwork experience.

Becoming familiar with prospective students via social media is the easiest way i known to settle us into friendly discourse, and allows me a moment to say "no" to people for whom this course is not the best next step in their journey and to throw my heart open with a big "YES" to those for whom this course will provide a meaningful experience.

Yes, students do join a group (here in the Forum), but that is only after i accept them as students. The choice of whom to teach is a task i take seriously, and although there are folks who never use social media, all i can say is that they will just have to get to know me through this forum, which takes a lot, lot longer.
catherine yronwode

aurelialotus

Unread post by aurelialotus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 6:10 am

I understand that and really respect it too. I do have Twitter and Instagram. I don't have FB because I had a problem with being there too much, bit of an addiction and so making the step to get rid of it really was beneficial to my life. I am pretty determined to hopefully take your course though, it's been a couple years I've been thinking about it but I really wanted to be sure, and this course I'm finishing now feels like a primer. Really great as an introduction and trial into the practices. So I wonder perhaps I should start back up at FB again, at least for a temporary measure, and later if if you accept me to the course then perhaps when the course is over I could leave FB again. For now I've been rereading everything on your site, man I just love the historical stuff so much! It leads me on tangents of looking up any extra info I can find on google too.

aurelialotus

Unread post by aurelialotus » Wed Aug 12, 2020 7:31 am

Ha...i typed that and posted it then instantly felt quite strongly choosing to go back to FB would be a huge mistake for me, and something I'd be unhappy with. So! Either you'll get to know me around the forum or perhaps Twitter/Inst, and decide I am suitable, if not, the books and items purchase from LMC over the next mnths won't go to waste anyway, and it could just mean I will find my teacher elsewhere. I'm really excited about my first order, mostly books!

meowtigone

Unread post by meowtigone » Fri Aug 14, 2020 5:17 am

Hi there!
I've been visiting the shop and purchasing products from Lucky Mojo for about 5 years now. I'm currently in Greece for the foreseeable future and I'm finally in a place where I can start gathering the materials required for the course. I'm happy to see folks participating here. I've spent a lot of time browsing all the info on the website about the history of hoodoo and I've been researching the similarities in Greek folk magic practices as well.

I sent a question to the orders email but thought I'd ask here too. Is it possible to order the materials required in one order? The reason I'm asking is because it would be easier on the receiving end with clearing customs here and paying the tax, etc. I'm happy to wait for four months before I officially apply, it's simply a logistics request that I'm making.

It's nice to see Facebook is not a requirement. Although I do have it I'm not as active because I'm more active on Instagram. Either way I'm happy to share all my social media profiles.

Thanks again and I look forward to connecting with y'all!
-antigone
IG: @thegirlwhoatethepomegranate | Red Cat Musings Proprietor

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Sun Aug 16, 2020 9:07 am

Hello meowtigone,

I would contact the shop and ask if a single shipment would be allowable for course requirements. I understand the difficulty of shipping overseas (and my relatives in Greece can attest to the slow post there).

I'm thrilled to hear you are researching the many similarities between hoodoo and Greek folk magic. This is an area of special interest to me, and you can tune into the Lucky Mojo radio show where we've discussed Mediterranean folk magic for more input for your studies.

Part One: https://www.blogtalkradio.com/luckymojo ... hena-62319

Part Two: https://www.blogtalkradio.com/luckymojo ... thena-4520

Good luck!

meowtigone

Unread post by meowtigone » Thu Aug 20, 2020 8:06 am

Great, thank you Miss Athena! I have reached out and will wait to hear back. I know it must be crazy in California with everything right now.
Oh and I've been listening to the shows your recommended. LOVE seeing it all connected!
Best,
-a*
IG: @thegirlwhoatethepomegranate | Red Cat Musings Proprietor

gumbo20

Unread post by gumbo20 » Fri Aug 28, 2020 11:42 am

Hello Everyone,
I'm new here and I've been a customer for about 3 years. I've read a lot of materials that I bought over the time period. I've even purchased my first spiritual cleanse package which I enjoyed. Now, I'm looking forward to student enrollment and I'm making the necessary step towards acceptance. Once upon time, about 3 years, I had absolutely no exposure to spirituality outside of Christian fellowship. I decided to be a student because there was so much that I did not know without you. I'm not active on social media but I do have a twitter and instagram account. I discontinued facebook and myspace many many years ago. If I decide to return it will only be as a participation requirement for you and it will only be active until the course requirements are met. I hope it is not offensive to you but my discontinuation was a result of personal failure that I did not wish to share with friends. As one of your students, I’m looking forward to learning the craft and organizing methods for practice. My particular area of interest is in collecting charms, divination, and spiritual healing.

Evan Lionhart
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Evan Lionhart » Fri Sep 04, 2020 1:33 pm

Hi Gumbo20,

Welcome to the Lucky Mojo forum. I hope you do enroll soon. There's a plethora of information and history to take in! : )
Evan Lionhart

Thank you St. Christopher • Thank you St. Michael

BlakPrincessUK99
Newly Registered

Unread post by BlakPrincessUK99 » Wed Sep 09, 2020 9:53 am

Hello All

I have purchased LM products over the last 6 years or so. I also have most of the books. Some I purchased and others I recieved from attending the Hoodoo Heritage festival twice. So my question is do these purchases count towards eligibility for the Course regardless of time frame ? Can I order the remaining books from Amazon or any other licensed Vendor ?

Thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 10, 2020 9:25 am

BlakPrincessUK99 --

Hello! Thanks for asking that question.

We actually have a customer database that goes back to 1998, so email the shop, tell them that you contacted me about the course, give them your street name, and ask them to mark you as a "prospective student" -- they will then go through your purchase history and let you know that you still need to purchase in the way of products and books.

As for books, yes you can purchase them from any retailer, but we want a cell phone shot of them to know you really do have them.

Also, i see that over the years, from 2014 to 2020, you have created 5 accounts here with similar names (all just slight variations of your current username). Nagasiva says that he will be getting in touch with you via FB to see about consolidating these into one account-name of your choice, so you won't appear as a newbie here when you actually have made 150 posts.

Looking forward to seeing you in the course group.
catherine yronwode

gumbo20

Unread post by gumbo20 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 12:33 pm

Hello, again.

I too made several book purchases from amazon and I bought a few charms as well. I would like to send lucky mojo a picture of my books too. I've been collecting materials then one day I felt maybe the program was not a good fit for me. But then, I promised myself that I will become a certified psychic. I've done a little crystal ball shopping on eBay as well. I just made another purchase of required reading materials and technically it's my 1st towards my course requirements. I'm in need of a few simpler items such as bath salts, incense and powders. I may get some more washes, candles, and herbs. It depends on my spending budget. Nice meeting you.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:19 pm

gumbo20 --

Thanks for your interest in my course. What i teach is a professional-level one-year course (which, if you hustle, you can complete in 3 months) in rootwork. There are 52 lessons, and all of them are designed to train my students how best to serve clients according to old-school, traditional methods.

As i explained above to BlakPrincess, if you are interested in my course, then the next time you order any of the required materials, just add a note in the message area saying that you wish to be marked as a "prospective student." There is no obligation to become a student, but if you mention that, then any items you order from my shop will be check-marked as meeting the course requirements for materials.

Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by catherine yronwode

The Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by Catherine Yronwode:

The cost is $2.00 per lesson: $104.00 for 52 lessons in the form of a 432-page hardcover clothbound book. Each book is personally inscribed with the student's name and signed by catherine yronwode. You must meet certain requirements as a customer and you must be interviewed by cat before being able to purchase this course book.

BOO-XCC-HRCC
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course by catherine yronwode
$104.00

You can read the entire list of required purchases, both books and spiritual supplies, here:

https://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

By the way, i do not currently teach a course in psychic reading, but my company has certainly published quite a few books on divination. There are a number of programs that teach students how to refine and use their psychic gifts as professionals. I will not recommend one over another, because a number of them are run by folks i know. I will, however, recommend a good book on how, once you have received training, you can best earn a living as a psychic reader, written by my colleague Valentina Burton:

The Fortune Teller's Guide to Success by Valentina Burton

Use in Magic:
Unlock the secrets to creating a wonderful career as a professional psychic reader! Author Valentina Burton leads you step by step through everything you need to know, and illustrates each chapter with hilarious true stories. This book is an incredible resource of tips and tricks, plus clear, straightforward advice from a famous professional psychic reader. If you have ever considered divination as a career, or if you are a psychic reader who has found success elusive, this book is for you!

Spell Methods:
Lucky Mojo Books are filled with authentic and easy to follow instructions for practical spells of magic and fortune-telling. Enhance your success in spells of love, luck, happiness, and wealth by learning time-tested folkloric traditions of hoodoo, rootwork, psychic reading, spiritual sorcery, and herbalism.

Product Details:
96-page paperback, illustrated

BOO-DIV-FTGS
The Fortune Teller's Guide to Success by Valentina Burton
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
catherine yronwode

gumbo20

Unread post by gumbo20 » Sun Sep 13, 2020 3:19 pm

Hello cathrineyronwode,

I do enjoy collecting the reading materials here at lucky mojo. This particular book is not in my collection but I do have the Secrets of the Crystal Silence League and I thought that it was applicable. I found your website while surfing the internet for spiritual schools. I'm hoping to start in January 2021 after my last required purchase and interview. After completing your program, I will be considering attend the University of Metaphysics. I'm thinking the programs are similar where you can work at your own pace. It is my goal to become a spiritual healer and psychic medium. I would like to incorporate the works of Hoodoo practice in my profession.

Myra
Newly Registered

Unread post by Myra » Thu Sep 17, 2020 4:21 pm

Hi catherineyronwode

I’m new here to the forum. I am about to order the books required for the course as a prospective student. I will be ordering some of the supplies required for the course soon. I am assuming from all I’ve read that this is a requirement before ordering the actual course. I friend requested you on Facebook a few days ago. I look forward to possibly being accepted for your course. I have been practicing off and on for many years but know I will benefit greatly from learning from you. My practice is self taught. I hope this doesn’t come off as stiff. I never mastered great writing skills.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 20, 2020 9:19 pm

Hi, Myra --

You are on the right track. Order the books first, then the supplies, and make sure you mark yourself as a "prospective student" in the message area of your orders.

I try to friend a couple of new folks every week in Facebook, but i am always right at my 5,000 people limit. If i do not friend you, try friending a few of the other folks here -- then i will see that we have mutual friends and be more likely to notice your name.

Thanks for your patience.
catherine yronwode

gumbo20

Unread post by gumbo20 » Sun Oct 04, 2020 4:36 pm

Hello again, I recently joined facebook. I know to use my real name when joining the Hoodoo program but do I need to do it for facebook also. If so, please let me know! Thank You!

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Mon Oct 05, 2020 12:43 pm

Hello gumbo20,

I would suggest you use your proper name so that Miss cat can identify you when she sees you. That would be my advice.

Good luck.

Rapacia
The Joker and the Thief

Unread post by Rapacia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:44 am

Hi, all.

I just listened to Professor Charles Porterfield’s “The Joker and the Thief” on “The Now You Know Show”, November 5th, 2014 and I’m glad I did. I totally GOT it and would recommend it to everyone who’s interested in rootwork and particularly in the course – it is DEAD ON in its truth, but the reason I’m posting is to say that Professor Porterfield’s delivery of this truth is HIGH-LARRY-ASS!!! I laughed out loud! Thank you, Professor Porterfield, for a much-needed laugh. That was medicine! You are one funny guy. Loved the voices. They really broke me up. Plus – that show had the best music EVER.

Sincerely,

Rapacia
Rapacia
"Forget not in the darkness what you have seen in the light".

Rapacia
Assignment #2

Unread post by Rapacia » Wed Oct 07, 2020 1:05 pm

Hello, all.

I’d like to talk about Good Ol’ Assignment #2. This is a bit of a long post.

(((sigh)))

I’m gonna pour out my heart to you here.

I’ve been reading, for years, Miss Cat’s many, many fascinating pages about the art of rootwork. And I’ve wanted to do her correspondence course ever since I heard of it but knew I was not ready for a variety of reasons.

I’m ready now. But I’m a very white person who has never had a single black friend.

I have to begin by saying that I’ve read all I can find on her site about what Miss Cat has to say about Assignment #2 and I can say, without reservation, that she and I are on the same page about this. She’s absolutely correct. You can’t learn hoodoo and really steep yourself in this tradition without having some black folks in your life and why would you want to?? I SO get this!

And I would love to have some black folks in my life! And not just because I want to take this correspondence course, though that is what has instigated my recent cogitating on this problem, particularly with what’s going on in our country at the moment not to mention for the last few hundred years. This is something I’ve thought about long before I ever heard of Catherine Yronwode.

This is the part of my post where I’m going to talk about my concerns about this and I am hoping and literally praying that those who read this can sense that my heart is in the right place and that if anything I write seems obnoxious or uninformed or silly that you’ll help me instead of just rolling your eyes. I can guarantee this – that I’ll be honest. So, now, I’ll tell you about my history with black folks in my life, which is practically nil, and why, and that I want that to change!

Born in 1966. Grew up in small town in Oregon. No black people whatsoever, at least that I and my family knew of, until high school in the early 1980s. We had one black student, for about six months or so. He became instantly popular. I think my classmates wanted to show how hip they were. Which is better than treating him like crap because of the color of his skin, I guess. I didn’t find him particularly interesting, but this was not because of his blackness. He was a boy (I was shy and afraid of boys) and on the football team. Boring, as I’m not a sports person.

I still live in Oregon – Salem – and I don’t get out a lot. My social circle is mainly my family and my husband with just a couple of friends, white, that I see occasionally. I’m an introvert. I live in Salem, Oregon. I do see a few black folks around, but not many.

I did become friendly with a woman in my office, before she retired, whose occasional company I enjoyed, but who didn’t count for Assignment #2 as she is Indian and Barbadan (sp?), though I did practice Assignment #2 on her, hoping to hear something interesting, but this was fruitless as she feels that “all that sort of thing” is “from the devil”. Bummer.

A couple of years ago we got a young African-American in our office. Nice girl. I have a lot of respect for her as she goes to school, cares for her niece and nephew AND works full-time in our office. She’s got a lot on her plate for a young person, 20-years-old when she came on board. I was very interested in getting to know her, for herself and because she was excited about telling me about her Jamaican ancestors – and, yes – because she’s black and I wanted to get to know a black person. I took her out for lunch a few times and we had a good time. But now we don’t see each other because most of us are working from home due to COVID-19 and quite frankly, I run out of things to talk about with a 22-year-old person. I’m 54 and can barely stand people my own age.

So, that’s it. We’ve now exhausted my black people.

What’s more, it’s been my experience that friendships between people of any colors have to just happen. They can’t be deliberately cultivated. And reading online what a lot of black folks have to say about white people who try to make friends with them makes this task seem all the more daunting. Some don’t even want it.

So, I had this idea:

Church!

I was raised Baptist. In an all-white church to be sure, but Baptist nonetheless and went to church with my family for the first eighteen years of my life. Sporadically since then, because I’m sinfully lazy and don’t want to get dressed up on a Sunday morning. So, I go only occasionally.

But maybe I could become friendly with or even friends with the black community through attending an AME Zion church! The one in Salem is currently not holding worship services due to the virus until further notice. But there’s one in Portland that is open and I’m willing to drive. I checked out their website and they have a white pastor, which seems odd to me, but at least proves that they’re not opposed to the idea of worshipping with white people. And think of the old folks! (I love old people). The music!! THE POTLUCKS!!!

So, I plan to drive to Portland in a couple of weekends and try to attend worship services there at least every other Sunday, which is the most often I feel able to drag my arse out of bed to go to church.

I do want to hang out with black folks and hopefully get to know them and hopefully they’ll even like me because I feel it would help me develop as a person. Professor Porterfield screaming: “GO TALK TO SOME OLD PEOPLE!” But I also want to be admitted to Miss Cat’s correspondence course, which has instigated this now.

Here’s the thing – making friends takes time, though I’m not opposed to bringing up this topic with some older black folks, say, at a church potluck; in fact, I think I’m too curious not to.

My question for Miss Cat: How long would I need to attend church for me to be an acceptable candidate for your course?

Please understand that my plan is not to attend just long enough to get into a rootwork course. I see my church attendance as a from-now-on thing because I want to learn about black culture, from black people, for my own reasons.

What are my “own” reasons? Black people have been through hell in this country. Every facet of their lives and culture have been affected by the brutalization of slavery and the idiocy of bigotry. Yet many of these people have prospered spiritually and that amazes me. How can anyone read Alice Walker’s short stories, or The Color Purple, The Secret of My Familiar or Possessing the Secret of Joy, or Zora Neale Hurston’s writings or Toni Morrison’s Beloved and NOT want to get to know these folks and learn what makes them tick and try to become a friend to them?

Of course, they came here with their own religions which evolved into African-American hoodoo, but some of hoodoo itself, it seems to me, is a direct evolution of that suffering and overcoming and this makes it fascinating and very moving to me. I want to learn it and become proficient in it because I believe it can work - if we work it - and I want to help myself. I can’t remember where I saw this, but someone said, “God grants us the ability to hoodoo what we cannot accept”. I love that! And I really want to be a friend to all people and to take Miss Cat’s course.

With great respect and admiration for Miss Cat, if I made the acquaintance of some black folks, especially older black people who practiced hoodoo and were willing to teach me, I may not even bother with Miss Cat’s course.

I’m exhausted now.

Please advise.

Sincerely,

Rapacia

P.S. I’ve not yet made the necessary purchases, though I will soon begin doing so, no matter what response I may get in reply to this post. It’s just that this concern has been burning a hole in my brain and I’d like to hear some thoughts on what I have to say before I can concentrate on anything else.

P.P.S. The only thing I’m waiting on right now is for my new, gorgeous, black church hat to arrive from Amazon. I want to look nice.
Rapacia

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Oct 07, 2020 11:57 pm

Rapacia,

Thanks for your honesty.

Just to set the record straight, I do not ask non-black prospective students to only befriend black people who practice hoodoo. That is not the assignment. I simply require my non-black prospective students to have black friends so that studying black folk magic develops naturally for them because it is grounded by their life experiences.

Good luck to you and may your way be open.
catherine yronwode

Rapacia

Unread post by Rapacia » Thu Oct 08, 2020 7:41 am

Miss Cat:

Thank you. I get it.

Sincerely,

Rapacia
Rapacia

Talulehohoyo
Newly Registered

Unread post by Talulehohoyo » Mon Oct 19, 2020 2:34 pm

Nicole was so helpful at the shop the the HHF was amazing. I'm making the plunge today.

Andi Anderson

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”