Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Herbs and Roots LMCCo Doesn't Carry: Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Herbs and Roots LMCCo Doesn't Carry: Questions and Answers

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:15 pm

LOL
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

chy clayton s

Unread post by chy clayton s » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:20 pm

My grandmother always had gallons of urine on hand. She would mix appropriate oils, vinegars, or herbs/curios to it and then walk a business's entire property line pouring a constant stream.

Like if you wanted trick someone concerning money you could add LM Banishing oil with 7 silver dime and focus on banishing money from their land.

Or if you wanted to expose someone for sleeping around you could add LM Cleo May oil and fire ants with ground mirror.

Or to just hurt business in general you could add LM Inflammatory Confusion Oil and Goofer dust and spread on a moonless night.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 16, 2010 2:21 pm

Your husband's urine could be used to defend your property.

Dog manure, as well as chicken manure, can be used in Break Up spells, as stated. There is a short section on old-fashioned Break-Up spells that employ feces on this "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" page on "Break Up" spiritual supplies:

http://luckymojo.com/breakup.html

Good luck
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

aquarius

Unread post by aquarius » Tue Mar 16, 2010 6:32 pm

I didn't keep them on purpose...they just sort of accumulated over the winter. Its cold in MN in the winter, even in my garage! But it seemed a shame to just waste them by flushing if they might be used for something...constructive.

Thank you all for the suggestions!

grannygoodwitch

Unread post by grannygoodwitch » Sun Apr 25, 2010 8:09 pm

Im hoping that im posting in the proper place....
I have a pig's heart that a friend gave me.I put it in the freezer until I found a way to use it,if there is something I can use it for.
Ive looked around the archives some and cant find anything written on such.
Does anyone have any Ideas or knowledge of spells this would be used in? :idea:

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 30, 2010 11:55 pm

Nope. Sorry.
catherine yronwode

ko558

Unread post by ko558 » Sat May 01, 2010 5:22 pm

Could use it for learning anatomy of a heart some High school anatomy classes are looking for donated animal hearts

khazakant

Unread post by khazakant » Mon May 03, 2010 7:32 pm

I was talking about my interest in hoodoo with my grandmother earlier, and she mentioned an aunt of hers who she thought was a witch.

"Oh, really? Why'd you think that?"

"Well, she was a certified nurse, but she always had just enough money for whatever she wanted, and she never did tell exactly where it all came from. And just things she'd say every once in a while."

"Yeah? Like what?"

"Just things ... like one time she said something about a toad, rubbing a toad ... things like that made me think she was a witch."

"Ah, hmm."

"Well, I sure hope she wasn't. I sure hope she didn't make that boy run through another boy with a hot poker."

"What."

Now I am very interested in what my great-great-aunt Mary could have done to this poor boy, and why, but my grandmother's superstitious and thinks that even talking about that sort of thing can bring trouble on you, so she's not being particularly forthcoming. I personally have heard of killing work done using a toad in santeria, but my aunt was Melungeon from West Virginia. So I did some poking around and I found something called the Toad Bone Ritual that I thought might be of interest. It seems to be British in origin (or possibly it goes all the way back to the Roman author Pliny?). It gives the conjurer mastery over not only people but also animals, making the ritual popular with men who have to deal with stubborn horses.

The general consensus is, your ritual goes something like this: First, get a toad. The preferred toad seems to be the walking toad or Natterjack which is native to Northern Europe. Then, kill that toad and strip the flesh from its bones. The methods of accomplishing that differ. In some methods, you put the toad in a box full of pins, or crucify it on a thorn bush, and when it dies, the flesh'll be eaten away by ants. A more practical method suggests you just pin the toad on the anthill itself. After you get the bones, carry them to a river and toss 'em in. All but one will sink and the one that doesn't sink will float upstream. Possibly while screaming. Get that bone, and carry it as a charm, and that charm will allow you to control other living things, with all the applications that implies.

It seems to be some kind of precursor to the black cat bone conjure. Very interesting! I've also seen some theorizing that you can replace the toad bone with a dried toad if you're not comfortable with crucifying live toads for some unfathomable reason. :roll: Some sources warn that using the toad bone will slowly drive you mad and you'll meet a violent early death, but I can tell you that my aunt was ridiculously long-lived and passed away peacefully only some five years ago.

Although, if anyone has some idea of what my aunt Mary could have been doing besides the toad bone ritual, I'd love to hear it. :)

jenterrier

Unread post by jenterrier » Mon May 03, 2010 8:55 pm

This is one of the amulets Hindus are always wanting to have. In the other Asian countries, people keep this thing from a black cat and believed to give power when release during Easters. It can also give luck and fortune to the keepers.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon May 03, 2010 10:02 pm

The black cat bone draws from ancient sources and it appears periodically in various ages with mention of it appearing in Hyatt, in the Grimoire of Saint Cyprian, and in other sources, thus making it far older.

It may not be a precursor, but it seems along the same vein of magical thinking: one that involves the ritually cruel killing of an animal in the hopes of attaining a magical boon.

The Toad Bone Rite is influenced by Anglo-Saxon folk magic and derives from such. However, your great-aunt may have used many other means of accomplishing such acts. A Toad Bone isn't necessary for one to work death conjure ;-).
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

lachina

Unread post by lachina » Thu May 20, 2010 6:57 pm

I bought a rose of jericho, the only thing i know is that it's a ressurection plant, and if you put it in water it comes back to life.

I have searched the forum and also the LM site and can't come up with any info.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Thu May 20, 2010 8:23 pm

I'm afraid you probably will not get much help here, this forum is to help people chose and use LuckyMojo spiritual goods, and they, to the best of my knowledge and according to the complete inventory page, do not carry Rose of Jericho. That said, you have to change the water every week, on a Friday, save the water for future use, its powerful stuff.
HRCC Student #1559

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri May 21, 2010 8:41 am

I read cat's book that LM doesnt sell the plant. I wanted it too after reading about it but if LM doesnt sell them I will not purchase.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

wraithklewn
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by wraithklewn » Tue May 25, 2010 5:20 pm

i havent come across any reference to it thus far. i have seen that the leaves are used for things but how about willow bark? is there any use for it at all?
HRCC Graduate # 1684G
Thank you St. Michael for your fierce protection

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Tue May 25, 2010 9:57 pm

Avoid eating it unless you have talked to a doctor first. Willow water is used in headache cures frequently (it's a key ingredient in aspirin), but it can cause heart troubles, so be careful. The bark is where they harvest the chemicals from.
HRCC Student #2174G

wraithklewn
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by wraithklewn » Tue May 25, 2010 11:54 pm

ahh i see.. well i wont be using that then. i have no need for it really i was curious. thank you for the info
HRCC Graduate # 1684G
Thank you St. Michael for your fierce protection

Tanathlyr

Unread post by Tanathlyr » Sun Jun 06, 2010 7:48 pm

Ahoya all, wondering if this herb has any use in Hoodoo? I have an inherited jar labelled "Ivy (Ground)" and when I realised the contents was neither ground up, nor crawling ivy, I stumbled across the names "ground ivy" and "coin grass." The latter name is a very Hoodoo sounding name so was wondering if it has any other more familiar names, or if anyone knows of it's primary uses in Hoodoo, if any - it ain't in the several Herb/Root bibles I use. Many thanks in advance for any info! :-)
LLL

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Tue Jun 08, 2010 5:31 am

I am not aware of any use for this in traditional Hoodoo.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Isis2

Unread post by Isis2 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:30 am

Hi Everyone!

I tried my first living plant spell to help my love relationship grow. I took my boyfriends sock, put herbs and a petition in it, anointed it with oils, and put it in the bottom of a house plant as my mentor instructed me to do so. The plant i chose was a succulent type cactus plant that wouldn't need much maintainability because I am a total newbie to plants and I was worried I'd kill the plant. Well, when i water the plant, the sock stays wet and therefore has created the soil to form fungus. I need to relocate the sock to another house plant and would appreciate suggestions on the type of plant i can use that wont grow fungus in the soil... Is a bamboo a better choice? Or should i put the sock in a plastic bag? will that take away the effects of the spell. Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jun 21, 2010 8:16 am

I would not have personally recommended a whole sock for just that reason. Using a few threads where there was sweat on it would be more trouble-free. Putting it in a plastic bag is just going to cause it to moulder now that it's been wet and had fungus spores on it. I would re-make the whole thing using a slightly different method, like placing new dried herbs and oils into a bottle with the concerns (only a few threads) and petition paper, and then putting that at the bottom of a pot.

lauren

Unread post by lauren » Wed Jun 30, 2010 5:16 pm

I had a random question and wondered if somebody on these forums may know the answer. I'm following a spirit oil recipe and one of the ingrediants is "ars" I've never heard of that before and I assumed it was a typo of some kind. However, I don't believe that's the case. I just thought I would check here and see if this was a rarely used name for a more common herb. Or in the offchance that it is a typo/handwriting error is there something that's close that could possibly be used in a spirit oil recipe ?

thanks in advance !!

~Lauren

QueenofSwords
HRCC Student

Unread post by QueenofSwords » Wed Jun 30, 2010 6:29 pm

Are you sure it's an herb? I'm taking a wild guess. Could it possibly be an arsenic derivative?

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Wed Jun 30, 2010 7:17 pm

Artemesia?
HRCC Student #2174G

JasmineTalula

Unread post by JasmineTalula » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:45 pm

Ive always been interested in the black cat bone how can it be used and how can you use it in workings?

Jacob Zuma

Unread post by Jacob Zuma » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:44 am

Can't help how mother nature will react to one that kills for personal gains.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:23 am

Jacob,

Mother Nature is amoral. Killing is a part of natural life. An animal that doesn't kill, be it another plant or animal will die. Humans force so moral system on nature that is simply not there. If She was capable of meting out 'justice' to those who harm Nature, the human race would have been wiped out centuries ago.
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

JasmineTalula

Unread post by JasmineTalula » Wed Jul 07, 2010 2:45 am

The black cat bone for Invisiblity? ok.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Wed Jul 07, 2010 5:38 am

Also in drawing back a lover.
HRCC Student #1559

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Jul 07, 2010 7:22 am

The black cat bone is not sold by Lucky Mojo, since you have a murder a cat in a pretty horrible to get one in the traditional manner.

Human finger bones can bring luck in things that require manual dexterity. Lucky Mojo does sell those.

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:36 pm

Hey Everyone,

I was wondering if you all could suggest some Love - Luck etc. drawing potted plants that can grow outside/ bright light but do not need direct sunlight at all? I live in Georgia, so it does get pretty hot, but neither the enterance to my apartment nor my balcony gets direct sunlight...

I cannot think of anything other than Ferns... Jasmine, Roses etc. all need direct sunlight :(
I do not yet have an copy of HHRM, and would appreciate any suggestions!

Best Wishes,
Shiva2500

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:21 pm

This forum is here to help people chose and use LuckyMojo products, so you probably will not get much help, as its rather off topic.
HRCC Student #1559

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:43 pm

Hi HailDiscordia,

Well, I figured that since so many of Lucky Mojo's spell, baths etc. (which I have and use) suggest that ritual remians/ used bath water be buried/ poured-out into a living potted plant by your front door or back door if you live in an apartment, it would not be that big of a stretch to ask for plant suggestions... But, you might be right.

Thank you for your response!
- Shiva2500

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:20 pm

Most people who claim to use black cat bones often have nothing more than chicken bones. However, LM does have a brand of Black Cat products that use black cat hair and authentic herbal blends reputed to offer a quality of luck that you may look into.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:43 pm

Here, this ought to settle your curiousity about what animal and human bones and other psrts we sell:

ZOO-AAA-111
ZOO-AAA-222 ZOOLOGICAL CURIO
ZOO-AAA-333
ZOO-ALL-FOOT Zoological Curio Alligator Foot Curio $3.00
ZOO-ALL-TOOT Zoological Curio Alligator Tooth Curio $3.00
ZOO-ANT-REDF Zoological Curio Red Fire Ants Curio, approx. 21 per vial (Deceased) $3.00
ZOO-BAD-TOOT Zoological Curio Badger Tooth Curio $5.00
ZOO-BCA-HAIR Zoological Curio Black Cat Hair Curio $3.00
ZOO-BDO-HAIR Zoological Curio Black Dog Hair Curio $3.00
ZOO-BHE-EGGO Zoological Curio Black Hen Egg Curio $3.00
ZOO-BHE-FEAT Zoological Curio Black Hen Feathers Curio $3.00
ZOO-CAT-SHBR Zoological Curio Cat's Eye Shell Curio, Pair, Brown $3.00
ZOO-CAT-SHGR Zoological Curio Cat's Eye Shell Curio, Pair, Green $3.00
ZOO-COW-DOZE Zoological Curio Cowrie Shell Curio, Dozen, Gold Ring $3.00
ZOO-CRA-SHPD Zoological Curio Crab Shell Powder Curio $3.00
ZOO-CUP-CASC Zoological Curio Eggshell Powder Cup, Cascarilla $2.00
ZOO-HUM-CARP Zoological Curio Human Hand Bone, Carpal Curio $8.00
ZOO-HUM-FINL Zoological Curio Human Finger Bone, Large (proximal or middle phalanx) Curio $9.00
ZOO-HUM-FINS Zoological Curio Human Finger Bone, Small (distal phalanx) Curio $7.00
ZOO-HUM-TOOT Zoological Curio Human Tooth Curio $9.00
ZOO-RAB-FOOT Zoological Curio Rabbit Foot Curio with Van Van Oil $4.00
ZOO-RAC-BONE Zoological Curio Raccoon Love Bone Curio $4.00
ZOO-SNA-SHED Zoological Curio Snake Sheds Curio $3.00
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:22 am

Pouring bath water in which you dissolved bath crystals into a potted plant is not good for it unless it has a high salt tolerance. Bath crystals contain salt. A little bit in the crossroads is not a problem, but repeatedly using a single small plant to receive salted water may harm the plant.

I suggest that you buy my book, "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic," then take it to your nearest garden center and go over the plant lists with them for lists of plants that grow in your region and in various conditions of shade or sun.

If you live in California, you can try to find a used copy of my book "The California Gardener's Book of Lists" -- it rates plants by their requirements for shade, heat, light, water, and so forth, but it does not mention their uses in magic. You could combine the two books and get some fun ideas, though. :-)
catherine yronwode

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:21 am

Ha Ha... Thank you Miss Cat for your reply!

I was thinking more in terms of burying spell kit/ candle wax/ used herbs etc. but I am really glad to find out about not pouring the bath crystal water in a potted plant...
I should be getting my hands on your book soon :)
So, I guess I will just wait and like you suggested take it to a nursery and see what I can come up with...
I don't live in California but I am sure they have to have some similar book for Georgia gardeners, I hope!

Well, thank you...
Best Wishes,
Shiva2500

TheFortress

Unread post by TheFortress » Sun Jul 18, 2010 11:09 am

Any Know about the Use Of a Frog for SPells to get Rid Of Someone evil - To Rid Dispose Of ''''CORRUPTION""" ??? and If Not Which One Of These animals above will ???
Thanks !

fivesight

Unread post by fivesight » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:31 pm

I beg to differ about the antiquity of the use of Toad Bones, you can find references to them in the 175th spell of the Middle Egyptian Coffin Texts and the Arthava Veda. There are also references to this type of rite in 16th century grimoires. One was auctioned off for several thousand pounds recently that dealt with this as a love charm, but was newer, maybe 18th century. It seems that toad-bone charms have been used for various purposes over the past 2000 years, depending on the era and place. The animal controlling charm is fairly recent and particular to England if I remember right. Some people have used bats as well, so I should imagine that there's a large number of these "special bone" charms. I used to try to figure out what my aunt Virginia meant when she was talking about a "moneybone."

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:05 pm

And the ritual killing of cats and using their bones makes an appearance in the Greek Magical Papyri which draws from folk traditions that are just as old.

Both are from the same vein of thinking in which ritual killing of an animal is aimed at gaining a boon or ability and have naturally evolved from older spells.

The point is ultimately moot.

colorfulsky

Unread post by colorfulsky » Tue Aug 03, 2010 4:12 am

Hi Everyone,

I am planing on doing a breakup spell, I have the breakup and confusion oils and everything else i want to put in a bottle which will be prayed over and shaken every once in a while. I was just wondering, I am in the country right now and there are dead wasps here everywhere, would it make sense to put a few dead wasps in the bottle as well? I am hoping it might poison their relationship or something like that. I just wanted to make sure that a wasp doesn't have any other properties that wouldn't be beneficial to my cause. Thank you for your help.

have a great day everyone

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Aug 03, 2010 1:54 pm

I think using the wasps are fine. Using dead bugs such as spiders, red ants, roaches, etc are okay to use. Let us know how it goes.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

colorfulsky

Unread post by colorfulsky » Wed Aug 04, 2010 3:46 pm

Hi starsinthesky7,

Thank you so much for getting back to me!

Oh, good i can get lots of dead spiders and flies etc here.
I am currently on vacation, so I can't do the bottle spell until I return. I will surely let you all know how it goes once it has been cast and I have had some results or signs.

have a great day

steve854@mac.com

Unread post by steve854@mac.com » Tue Aug 10, 2010 8:30 am

I'm looking for specific information on the use of an antique Chinese incense seal (clock). Which ash and powder to use and how to use them. Thanks in advance

Steve

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Aug 10, 2010 10:19 am

That is far, far out of our range of help here, Steve 854 -- this forum is about African American Southern style conjure, rootwork, and hoodoo. You'll need to go find some Chinese mages -- or, at the least a book about ancient Chinese magic. Good luck.
catherine yronwode

Isis2

Unread post by Isis2 » Sun Sep 19, 2010 4:47 pm

Thank you Devi! I will definitely try reworking it.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 19, 2010 5:00 pm

This is a type of container spell, and, as such, is more often worked inside an apple or onion. Devi is right -- you are pushing the laws of sceince by using a whole sock. Less is more.
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Sep 19, 2010 7:47 pm

Isis...I applaud you for working your first spell. Here are a few plants that are easy to grow: ferns (lady fern), Philodendrons, Spider Plants, Dieffenbachia or Peace Lilies. Also, you should consider the zone you live in as well when growing plants. Although these plants are virtually easy to grow and maintain. Good Luck in your spell work.

kimberlyanne
HRCC Student

Unread post by kimberlyanne » Tue Sep 21, 2010 1:02 pm

Thanks Devi & jwmcclin for your advice. I think I'd like to ask some more questions, but I'm thinking that I should post them elsewhere on the forum.

My sweetie and I are currently 650 miles apart, and I liked the idea of him having something in his pocket...which he'd do without question. So...I will slide my situation and topic to the spell casting portion of the forum

Y'all are great!!! Thanks bunches!
Kimberly Annie

“How many cares one loses when one decides not to be something but to be someone”...Coco Chanel

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 2:44 pm

I know it's not for sale from LM for obvious reasons, but I have a question about using gunpowder. If anyone knows, is it safe to use in a vinegar break up jar that will be shaken daily? I'd rather not blow up my house! ;-) And for the record, I'd be using a small pinch, no more.

Also would it be effective in a honey jar to convince someone to give me a job. It's an old manager that at a club I used to dance in and now I'd like to see about getting a bartending job there, however our working relationship was often rocky due to his 'habit' and mood swings from them, so it will be a commanding/controlling type of honey jar. Honey jar will not be shaken, though.

(and my apologies to Miss Cat if this crosses the LM products only line, just trying to get answers and fairly quickly about the powder)
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sat Nov 06, 2010 3:57 pm

I would not use the gun powder in the honey jar for the job--it has an inflamming effect--that is, it makes your work hotter but it sounds like you and this guy don't need inflammatory ingredients added to the mix of y'all's relationship, stick to the commanding herbs, roots, and curios and make sure you add a pinch of five finger grass for favor granting.
I don't know about gun powder in vinegar--when I use gunpowder in my break up work I make a "dry" bottle.
good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sat Nov 06, 2010 4:58 pm

Thank you, Miss Bri. I did find out from someone else who has used vinegar and gunpowder together that the acidity of the vinegar renders the gunpowder safe on the mundane plane, but doesn't affect it magicially.

And yes, there doesn't need to be any added friction with this manager/owner. He's volatile enough on his own! *lol* But I wasn't sure if the gunpowder could be used to blast through any obstacles. I'll just leave it out. Got enough road-opening work and work on the eventual ex that I can definitely use it for!

LightTheWorld
Newly Registered

Unread post by LightTheWorld » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:04 pm

Hello all,

I am preparing an order for some LM Road Opener products - have been feeling a bit blocked lately.
I will also be asking the MISC to back me up with setting a Road Opener candle there for me.

So far I am going to order the LM Road Opener oil, wash crystals, and probably the incense (once I double-check the Australian Customs rules on it :roll: - if it's a no go, then the sachet powder instead.)
My aim here is to wash myself and my home thoroughly, plus use either incense or sachet powder to follow-up, and work daily orange candles dressed in Road Opener oil for as long as it takes to see a change....

OK so here is my question: what is the true abre camino herb known as? I would like to get some to roll my candles in, but the information I have found on the web is conflicting. So far I have seen different sources stating that it is :
- Eupatorium villosum / Florida Thoroughwort
- Boneset a.k.a. Thoroughwort
- Wild Sage
- Quassia
- Agueweed
I have checked these out in Miss Cat's HH&RM & also Herb-Magic.com but none of them sound right, as in their uses in hoodoo do not accord with the purpose of abre camino as far as I can tell.

Please can anyone tell me what I should be ordering to roll the road-opener candles in? Thank you very much.

trish76

Unread post by trish76 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 6:27 pm

So you mean you are looking for something to burn with the orange candles while waiting for the Lucky Mojo Road Opner products? I'm assuming that the case because it wouldn't make sense for you to want to rub additional herbs on the LM Road Opener products because those are already prepared. I don't think you need to add anything if you are already dressing the candle with the Road opener oil simply because the oil already has the Road Opener herbs in it. I think I read somewhere on the Lucky mojo pages that you can dust the LM satchet powder on a candle also but I think cat called it "double-dressing".

Why not oder some Lemon Balm or Lemon Grass, if you have to dress your candles with an herb. HHRM has the Lemon Grass listed as one of the ingredients in the Van Van, the Chinese Wash and the Hindu Grass. Seems it would clear away any negativity and clear out any messes that may be blocking you. In fact, i think Lemon is used in a lot of clearing and protective work. I would think that would reinforce the Road Opener instead of adding Road Opener to Road Opener.
"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not". ~ Paulo Coelho ~ ♥

LightTheWorld
Newly Registered

Unread post by LightTheWorld » Sun Nov 28, 2010 7:15 pm

Hi Trish, and thank you for your reply.

I see what you're saying about just using the oil - I have always oiled my candles and then rolled them in herbs that complement the purpose, to give it some oomph. (You were spot on too, I see that Miss Cat did call it double-dressing :)) So I guess I don't HAVE to, I just prefer to work that way.
Lemongrass sounds good :)

So yes I was looking for something to "double dress" the orange candles after applying the LM Road Opener oil. I guess I could use the sachet powder, as mentioned in that page. I just really like using the pure herbs, and a road-opener herb seemed like the obvious choice... if only I could find it!

Many thanks.

trish76

Unread post by trish76 » Sun Nov 28, 2010 11:03 pm

My bad....not trying to judge your personal method. It may actually be a blend of herbs instead of just one. Maybe someone will come in and clarify for you. :)
"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not". ~ Paulo Coelho ~ ♥

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:53 am

Abre camino herb is used primarily is Latin American folk magics. There are other formulas that open the road that are more traditionally North American, and I believe that LM's Road Opener uses these as they primarily use traditional conjure formulas, as opposed to ones coming from Santeria, Cuanderismo, etc. The Abre Camino herb is not cassia, boneset, sage or agueweed, and it is endangered in Florida, though still fairly plentiful in Puerto Rico, from what I understand.

If you buy the Road Opener products, they will include all the various herbs that are appropriate to your needs, so you can just dress your candle in the Road Opener oil and be fine. However, if you really wish to roll it in some herbs, I would use lemongrass.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Hi Bayou_Witch. Welcome to the forum :)

This forum is here to help people chose and use LuckyMojo spiritual supply's. It is not a general hoodoo/magic/witchcraft/occult/herbalism board. Luckymojo does not sell anything called "Bat's Eye" be it herb,root or animal part, so this question is off-topic for us.

Bayou_Witch wrote:I am very interested in some of the herbs used in the Hoodoo/Voodoo traditions
Then might I suggest you read up on the history of hoodoo? It is not Voodoo, and while both use herbs and roots, they do so in different ways, and towards different ends. You may read more about this history of hoodoo, including what it is and is not, here http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html#hoodoonot

Finally, if you would like to learn about herbs,roots and animal curios are used in the root work tradition, I highly recommend you pick up a copy of Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic by catherine yronwode. It lists many,many herbs roots and curios, along with traditional uses for them, and the "Latin" names for them.
HRCC Student #1559

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Dec 05, 2010 12:52 pm

Bayou_Witch: Remember there is a difference between Hoodoo and Voodoo as discussed here
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html#hoodoonot

Bayou_Witch
Newly Registered

Unread post by Bayou_Witch » Sun Dec 05, 2010 3:28 pm

Thank you.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Dec 24, 2010 12:54 pm

There is no substitute for a Bat's eye, although you will find stores that carry a variety of faked-up things they call Bat's eyes. There is also no one Latin name for a Bat's eye, since there are many species of Bats, each species with its own Latin name.

The use of the eye of a Bat in European folk magic derives from the idea that although Bats have poor eyesight ("blind as a Bat"), they navigate through the air very well and can pluck tiny insects out of the sky and they never bump into anything, or suffer collisions, even in dim light. Before the Bat's system of echolocation was understood, it seemed to folks that Bats must navigate by some sort of inner, psychic, or spiritual vision. Hence the Bat's eye was a token of that.

Bats are protected and endangered species in much of their former ranges, due to the human use of insecticides, the human instigation of Bat habitat destruction, the human mass-killings of Bats as they emerge from their caves at dusk as a form of "hunting" or "sport", and a current USA epidemic of a European Bat disease (White Nose Syndrome, caused by the fungus Geomyces destructans) that is devastating North American Bat populations which are not resistant to the disease.

For these reasons and many others, we do not carry Bat's eyes or any fake substitute for them at the Lucky Mojo Curio Company.
catherine yronwode

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”