Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:52 pm

Thanks, Devi, for giving such a detailed reply. Much appreciated!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

wjkirby

Unread post by wjkirby » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:32 am

Thank you so much--I will take your advice, for sure, and I really appreciate your encouragement. I'm looking forward to talking with Miss Cat. I'm amazed by the information on the various Lucky Mojo sites and sister sites; just about the time I think I've finished reading Hoodoo in Theory and Practice, I find more that I missed. What an awesome work!

I have Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic and have read through the whole book twice now and selected pages/items many more times than that, along with some other books I've gotten from Lucky Mojo--wow, Zora Neale Hurston's is incredible!! I had only read bits and snatches of her work before, but she'd been on my "to read" list for some time--i am just blown away.

Same for the blues lyrics--i've heard most of the songs before (played a few of them) and have several versions of the Muddy Waters, Junior Wells, Robert Johnson, etc. I actually got to hear Muddy Waters and Furry Lewis in Memphis many years ago, several times So much "stuck" in memory that I still didn't understand, but I know it's no accident.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 28, 2010 6:36 am

wjkirby, it sounds to me like you'll make a good student. Just be sure that you qualify according to the terms outlined on the course information page, then call the shop and have them check you for eligibility, then you and i can have a conversation.

The course information page is here:

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

peacebeyondpassion

Unread post by peacebeyondpassion » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:35 pm

Hi Ms. Cat,

I've been a silent follower of your website for years but the last two years I've been visiting everyday and studying the materials, I think that I am about ready to sign up for your course. I've read all the homework assignments and considering that the Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic book could be a course of it's own, I was wondering if the course went in depth into the usage of herbs for things such as tinctures for ailments/afflictions, teas, and incense etc.

Also I live pretty deep in the south and your online store is the only place for me to get items that I need. I was wondering is there a recommendation for a general "supply list." If you could make a recommendation of general things to have on hand that would be great.

Thanks so much for your wealth of knowledge the last few years reading your website i've learned more about my history than I ever thought I could, and lots of things from my childhood make sense now.

Namaste
Sheenae

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 04, 2010 4:39 pm

There is a chapter in the course about the relationship between medical herbology and magical herbology. There is additional material in the course dealing with herbs, but it is not listed by specific herb, as in my "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" book.

In order to qualify for the course, you need to have at least four different invoices with the shop and to have bought items in all classes of products, so that you will have samples at hand when they are discussed in the course. Call the shop and ask for Angela or Alicia to explain this to you if you need further help.

After you qualify that way, they will set up a conversation between the two of us and i will get to know you a bit and decide wither i think i can take you on as a student.
catherine yronwode

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:07 pm

The course also includes a section where Miss cat suggests a list of basic condition products that you can use to begin your studies, since you are looking for a supply list. I believe there is also a list of basic supplies and condition products on the forums as well.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate #1550, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

johnnyeye

Unread post by johnnyeye » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:10 pm

Hello, my names Johnny and I'm a returning student. I am wondering if there is a student only forum and exactly how to access it? Thanks for your patience. Johnny

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Sun Apr 04, 2010 8:29 pm

Not on the forum, but there is the student group on Yahoo. It's called hrcourse and you only need to request to join with your full name and student number.
HRCC Student #1339

athenat2

Unread post by athenat2 » Sun Apr 04, 2010 9:03 pm

HI,
I have been reading this forum for the past few months... I have already brought your book but not directly from Lucky Mojo... on amazon. I will continue to read and will try to make contact as to when I can start this course. I am not interested as to make this a profession but I am interested for my own spiritual growth. I realize it will take time to establish a bond and I am o.k. with that. The only thing that I have a little problem with is what to order exactly. I am in grad school and was thinking about ordering some crown of success oil and king solomon oil for anointment (rough semester...and hopefully last... :D lol). So i guess that will be a start.
Thanks for sharing all your wonderful wisdom online.
Athena

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Apr 04, 2010 11:39 pm

Johnnyeye, the instructions for accessing the student-only Yahoo group are printed on page 16 of your course book. If you are listed as an inactive student -- someone who has not turned in homework after a two-year period -- you may read the Yahoo group but you may not post there until you turn in some homework. I'm glad to see you back, and i hope that this time you complete your studies.
catherine yronwode

johnnyeye

Unread post by johnnyeye » Mon Apr 05, 2010 2:45 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Johnnyeye, the instructions for accessing the student-only Yahoo group are printed on page 16 of your course book. If you are listed as an inactive student -- someone who has not turned in homework after a two-year period -- you may read the Yahoo group but you may not post there until you turn in some homework. I'm glad to see you back, and i hope that this time you complete your studies.
Hmmm, I have gone to the yahoo groups and typed in the http//www....etc. from pg 16 twice, but the search comes up as no such group. I have, however, been excepted into one of the forums and I'm a bit confused as to which forum it is. PS. Glad to be back, I've never lost interest nor have I not been 'working'...just got caught up in some other aspects...thanks for your patience Cat...Johnny

chy clayton s

Unread post by chy clayton s » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:02 pm

I am working my way to taking the class.

A question concerning:

In order to qualify for the course, you need to have at least four different invoices with the shop and to have bought items in all classes of products, so that you will have samples at hand when they are discussed in the course.

My first thought is if I purchase 6-8 spell kits of various intent that I could break the kits apart for the variety of commonents and thus have the items needed for the class. But then I wondered if the kits are individually concencrated for the work intended and if breaking the kits up would be a bad idea?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 05, 2010 1:24 pm

johnnyeye, i typed in the url as given and it immediately took me to "hrcourse · Hoodoo Rootwork Course" -- so it certainly works.

You must sign up to JOIN this group -- it is not readable by the general public. To join, you must send with your application a message (there is a place to include it) that states your name and student ID number. Without that information, your application to join will be rejected.

I went to the group just now and saw that you had tried TWICE to sign up. I approved your first request (which included your student number) and debied the second request, as it was redundant. You are now a member of the Yahoo group.
catherine yronwode

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Wed Apr 07, 2010 3:34 pm

Hi all, Can anyone tell me I long it will take for me to be reconized by the Yahoo HRCC group. I went to the site as directed by the book, I registered. I just checked and it still says I have not been approved yet. I am naturally antsy to get into the group. Thank you.

johnnyeye

Unread post by johnnyeye » Wed Apr 07, 2010 9:51 pm

Hello, my name is Johnny and I am an american living in Switzerland. (see my introduction- introductions, johnnyeye) I am in search of a friend that would assist me in completing Homework #2 in the correspondence course. I am 52 years old and I've never tried to make a friend over the internet...frankly, I feel a bit strange doing so, although, I'm thinking that it will be like having a pen-pal. I have lots of pictures of Switzerland and some other places in Europe that you might enjoy and I really would like to hear about other folk's experiences. So, if your interested I'll send ya my e-mail address. thanks for reading...peace...johnnyeye

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:00 am

If you haven't done so, join the Yahoo group for those taking the Course. I'm sure there is an African-American student who would be willing to help you complete Homework #2. Good luck!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:04 am

When you register, you need to provide your student number in the message area, since the group is only for students and graduates. If you did so, it should only take a day or two.

johnnyeye

Unread post by johnnyeye » Thu Apr 08, 2010 8:26 am

I'm having trouble getting to the student forum. I've followed the directions on pg. 16, however, the yahoo groups keep telling me that there is no such group. thanks for your input/reply. appreciated very much...peace, johnnyeye

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 08, 2010 9:11 am

Hi, donnalee -- i just went to the site and approvd your membership. Thanks for the poke!
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Apr 08, 2010 7:56 pm

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 09, 2010 9:15 am

Hi, Johnny, you're now in the student Yahoo group -- i approved you.
catherine yronwode

Donnalee2

Unread post by Donnalee2 » Fri Apr 09, 2010 2:27 pm

Thanks Cat I'm in yayyyyyyyyyyy.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 12, 2010 10:29 am

Hey, Mister Kurtis --

I saw your questions from a while back on possible "dangers" in taking the class and then noticed your colourful "Certified Practitioner" avatar and realized that you got through the course alive, after all. :-)

Congratulations!
catherine yronwode

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Mon Apr 19, 2010 3:51 am

catherineyronwode,

What if you fail the oil or another section. Are you allowed to try again?

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Apr 19, 2010 12:58 pm

Yes

zee_2

Unread post by zee_2 » Mon Apr 19, 2010 4:42 pm

Hi cat,
I have been debating about whether or not i would be eligible for the course but figured i would complete those prereqs that were upto me and then check in with you...I have placed quite a few orders since last october-november when i first came upon the website, and have, i think worked with every class of 'product' ( for lack of a better word..ie herb, washes, bath crystals, herbs oils etc...i ordered your book and while i have read it atleast twice over, i must admit there iss till so much 'new to me' stuff that i see everyt ime i open it at random..as far as HITAP is concernedi did the follw the link method you recommended earlier int he thread and i do believe i am done with most of thelinks...

As far as my background goes, i have mixed parentage, but none of it alas, remotely african american. I am of Indian/Turkish/Persian origin.. I live in a sterotypical midwestern suburb which is not very clued in on the richness of this culture and its heritage, but if i were to wait for all the stars to line up i would never get started, let alone get done. Other forms of magic I have studied are islamic/talismanic ( very complicated, and i dont have the best books on it), creative visualization ( decent success), reiki (still taking classes). I use all these actively in my daily life, and in my profesion as a nurse... i am rapidly becoming known as the nurse who always get lucky with getting the nice patients( never mind that these same pts give everyone else h**l on their shifts!!)

I have worked with your products to effect some very positive changes in my life, and that of my daughter's... I have been told we all have some ability to work magic and much of it is lies in our belief that we can do so...add to that LM's wonderful ly crafted products to synchronise everything and no wonder i have had such results ( new job, successful at work, daughters college admission with half free ride, and a great vibe at home, plus other things on the horizon)

however i feel that by doing 'project-oriented' work i am missing out on the big picture of hoodoo and conjure work and would love to learn it from a master, and get a proper sense of perspective. I would love to to live my days with a feeling of being able to direct desired outcomes through my thoughts and conjure work, to think ahead and to work conjure as part of my transformation ...

I think it is almost a way of actualizing ourselves as better people, when we realize that the things we desire we actually have some control over bringing about...i think it just makes us stop and think what we do and why, instead of taking and 'making do' with random results. Anyways i ramble too much!

So i hope to be able to talk to you sometime soon..i did call to day to find out, and was told angela was not in, and she might be in tomorrow , and she could set up a time to talk to you if i have already met the prereqs for your course

Thanks for listening...Zee

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 20, 2010 12:09 am

Hi, Zee -- you sound like you'd be a great student. Angela works 5 days a week, Tuesday - Saturday, and she sets up all my appointments for prospective course students. Just call any day that she's in and she will look over your ordering history, then set you an appointment if you meet the prerequisites. Talk to you soon!
catherine yronwode

johnnyeye

Unread post by johnnyeye » Tue Apr 20, 2010 2:21 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Hi, Johnny, you're now in the student Yahoo group -- i approved you.
I know I must seem pretty dumb, but the yahoo groups doesn't want to let me in. It ask for the yahoo Id and then tells me I must wait for approval. I write to the site owner requesting permission..using my student ID and still when I come back and see ...it's still waiting for approval. Thanks...Johnny

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 20, 2010 4:22 pm

Johnny, i am the owner. I already approved you on April 9th!

Have you forgotten your Yahoo user name and password? That's sure what it sounds like is happening to you -- 'cause you ARE approved in the group!

If you continue to have trouble, please don't post here -- send an email to my husband, nagasiva at hoodoo (at) luckymojo.com and explain what you are doing to him. Be prepared to explain in detail, so he can trouble-shoot your situation.

Again, you ARE approved for the group -- but to use Yahoo's system, you must log in each time with your Yahoo user name and password (which you chose and should remember).

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

KhonsuMes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by KhonsuMes » Wed Apr 21, 2010 3:26 pm

@zee:
Thank you for this thought:
I think it is almost a way of actualizing ourselves as better people, when we realize that the things we desire we actually have some control over bringing about...i think it just makes us stop and think what we do and why, instead of taking and 'making do' with random results.
Amen to that. And think about what precisely we want and why. It seems to me the way Hoodoo craft is tunable to an exact need carries with it a responsibility to challenge and clarify what that need really is. It is a humbling, sobering, and growth-provoking process.

Best of luck to you!

rjwcim

Unread post by rjwcim » Fri Apr 23, 2010 10:55 pm

Hello Johnny I'm also a student of miss cats, not sure if you found anyone yet but I would love to help you with homework assignment number 2 feel free to pm me.

Ra'Shay

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Tue Apr 27, 2010 10:35 am

Ok got over my grave yard fear! I found a huge one that should not be a problem for me :D

I have another Question,
Students who are not African American will be required to have contact with Black Americans in order to complete Homework Assignent #2.
Is this because we have to interview African American people? i ask because although I live in one of the biggest cities in the world I live in an all Asian area.I rarely see Caucasian people let alone African American people so I would have to go to the City and stop a stranger on the street most likely. I do have friends who are west indian who's grandmothers i think practice Hoodoo but I know that is obviously not the same and that may not even be the point of the assignment. I wanted to ask this, though I understand if details can not be given out. :)

thank you!
Thank you, Archangel Michael for your constant protection.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 12:50 pm

Yes, homework #2 is interviewing an African American. However, some foreign countries have very few (if any) African Americans present, and so those living in one of the countries which Miss Cat has identified as being one of those without an AA population, may ask permission to do the homework via email with an African American who agrees to help you. You'll need to confirm with Miss Cat whether or not your country qualifies.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:18 pm

Well this is pretty embarrassing Devi but I live in NY lol its just that I live in an all Asian area. I dont know or see any African American people around at all but like I said i could stop a random person on the street and make it seem like I am doing a questionnaire. They might walk away or not but I could try. Thats why i was wondering if the interview is based on hoodoo or on black culture itself because I know west indian people from Trinidad and Guyana and they are familiar with hoodoo but if its based on Black American lifestyle I dont know any personally. I'll start looking for someone who could possibly help me.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:33 pm

No, Miss Cat is very specific. It has to be African American, not Trinidad or the like. I have a bunch of friends from the islands, and I had to resubmit my homework #2 because it wasn't what she was looking for. It was very hard for me to find an African American-culture individual here in Toronto, because there are so many islanders here, or those directly from Africa. (That was before Facebook hooked me back up with all my AA friends from back in FL.) You will definitely *not* get an email-pass on homework #2 living in NY! LOL!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Brujita Angelical wrote: "although I live in one of the biggest cities in the world I live in an all Asian area. I rarely see Caucasian people let alone African American people so I would have to go to the City and stop a stranger on the street most likely."

Also: "i could stop a random person on the street and make it seem like I am doing a questionnaire."

You are missing the point of the lesson. I expect you to make friends among the people whose magic you are studying.

If i were studying Asian-American folk magic, i would befriend Asian-American people.

If i were studying Latin-American folk magic, i would befriend Latin-American people.

How can you hope to study African-American folk magic without befriending African-American people?

This homework is not about ME (a half-Jewish, half-Sicilian girl) having befriended some Black Americans on your behalf 45 years ago in Oakland, California so that you could learn some spells from ME -- it is about YOU befriending some African-American people NOW, on your own, in your own lifetime.

Conjure doctoring is the Black folk magic of the American South, which has spread all over America by now -- and it is not Trinidadian or Guyanan. The fact that people of dark skin colour may have common African genetic ancestry is NOT the point of this homework assignment. This course is about a unique form of folk magic that developed in the United States of America.

More than ten percent of the residents of New York City, where you live, are Black Americans. Get out of your Asian neighborhood and make friends with your African American neighbors.

One of the friendliest places to go and meet people is in a restaurant. Everyone in a restaurant is there for a good time, and the wait staff generally tries to make everyone feel comfortable. Here are some Black-owned and operated Southern soul food restaurants in your city:

Amy Ruth's Restaurant
http://www.amyruthsharlem.com - (212) 280-8779 - 140 reviews

Sylvia's Restaurant
http://www.sylviasrestaurant.com/home.htm - (212) 996-0660 - 158 reviews

Rack & Soul
http://www.rackandsoul.com - (212) 222-4800 - 60 reviews

Spoonbread Two
http://www.spoonbreadinc.com/miss_maudes.htm - (212) 865-6744 - 56 reviews

There are half a hundred more great Southern and soul food restaurants in New York City, but these ones featured web sites, so you can check them out before embarking on a trip to eat there. Take a friend with you if you feel nervous dining out alone. Be prepared to make friends, to sample some wonderful dishes, and, above all, to enjoy yourself and meet new people.

You'll be glad you did.

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:05 pm

Lol I know It is stupid of me but ill find someone. Thanx!

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Tue Apr 27, 2010 2:16 pm

Oh thanx so much for the explanation miss cat! See I was asking because I didn't know the purpose of the exercise but I understnad now. I had black friends in college but I lost touch. I could try and find them or meet new people. Either way is fine, I was just confused as to the exercise. I thought I had to interview someone, like anyone I found but I have a better understanding now!

Oh and thanx for the links I love food so that's right up my alley!

Thanx!!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 27, 2010 4:03 pm

Check this out:

http://blackdemographics.com/

I was wrong -- 18% of New York City is Black!!!

Also check this next page out -- it is about African American religion affiliations -- and it confirms my statements, made here and elsewhere, that despite all of the interest in hoodoo from White and Latino practitioners of Catholicism, Santeria, Lukumi, Vodoun, and so forth, very few Black Americans are Catholics (4%) and even fewer practice religions such as Santeria, New Age, Neo-Paganism, Scientology, etc (1% combined total for ALL of the "other" / "new" / "syncretic" religions).

http://blackdemographics.com/religion.html

The entire site is of interest, so look it over ... good stuff there.
catherine yronwode

kittynmoon

Unread post by kittynmoon » Wed Apr 28, 2010 3:46 am

Cat, do you keep a longer history of your orders at the store than you show on the account on line? I have years of history of ordering from the store but it only seems to show a year or so worth of orders. I have a lot more orders that I have made in the past not showing that were herb orders, etc.

Brujita Angelical

Unread post by Brujita Angelical » Wed Apr 28, 2010 6:31 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Check this out:

http://blackdemographics.com/

I was wrong -- 18% of New York City is Black!!!

Also check this next page out -- it is about African American religion affiliations -- and it confirms my statements, made here and elsewhere, that despite all of the interest in hoodoo from White and Latino practitioners of Catholicism, Santeria, Lukumi, Vodoun, and so forth, very few Black Americans are Catholics (4%) and even fewer practice religions such as Santeria, New Age, Neo-Paganism, Scientology, etc (1% combined total for ALL of the "other" / "new" / "syncretic" religions).

http://blackdemographics.com/religion.html

The entire site is of interest, so look it over ... good stuff there.
thanks for this!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:49 am

kittymoon -- we have a database that goes back to 1996. If you have ordered in the past, we will know it.

Call Angela at the shop. She has direct access to all orders from October 2008 onward -- but if you ordered before then, your customer ID will show a certain kind of customer number string carried over from the previous version of the database and she can ask nagasiva to dig up your previous orders from the deep-storage electronic invoice files dated 1996 - 2008.

Nothing gets lost in Electron-Land. Information is immortal!
catherine yronwode

Katie_Did1111

Unread post by Katie_Did1111 » Wed Apr 28, 2010 9:59 am

Ooh, good to know . . . this means on that end of things I've qualified for a while. I've wanted to enroll since the course was introduced, but it's only now that I'd say I'm even close to ready. Maybe a few more months.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 12:08 pm

katie - I feel the same way. I have about 4 visits to LM in the last 2-3 years and need a few more months to be ready to take the course. I am going to go to LM for my 33rd birthday in May and hope to get a big order of what I have not worked with yet. After working with that order I feel like I will be able to take the course! I can't wait...

(ps - so fun to be able to go to the actual store for birthdays, honeymoon, anniversaries, etc...)
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Sat May 15, 2010 10:19 am

If you can't find an African-American to interview, try Craigslist in the "Platonic Relationships" sections, or in the community sections. Craigslist is awesome.

I look forward to the challenge when it's my turn! I'm going to kick the ASS of all those homework assignments!
HRCC Student #2174G

Malefic

Unread post by Malefic » Sun Jun 06, 2010 10:56 pm

The page explaining the procedure is confusing... it says it's ordered like anything else, but I don't see an order button? Also, can one order the course enrollment at the same time one orders the final item on the required purchases list, or must the goods all have been ordered in past purchases before requesting enrollment?

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:06 pm

Melefic,

From the order form:

Who can apply

I want to teach people who are stable, mature, patient, intelligent, and qualified to learn. The only way i can decide who has what it takes to study with me is to become familiar with them, understand where they're coming from, see if they like our kind of spiritual goods, help them do some work on their own, and then, if they still want to take the course, i will gladly accept them as students, and i will be pretty sure that my teaching efforts will be directed toward folks who will really benefit from the effort i put into the course, the Yahoo group, and the grading of homework.

To be explicit, i only take students who show a past history with my shop, purchasing and working with the hand-made oils, sachet powders, incense, washes, and herbs of conjure. The purchase of a few candles or a book is not enough for me to take a person on as a student. Purchasing from another supplier does not count.

If you work with our shop for a while and we get to know you, i will certainly want to teach you, but the teacher-student relationship is personal, not commercial, and is built on experience and a history of shared knowledge and practice.

So, to make a long story short, let's see you order a bit of stuff from Lucky Mojo -- so that i know that you are familiar with what i will be referring to in the course when i write of herbs, candles, oils, incenses, powders, and washes -- and then let's have a brief telephone conversation so that i can get to know you a bit, and you can decide if the course is the right thing for you. After that, i will be happy to take you on as a student.

Or order here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html#mojocourse
Joseph Magnuson

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jun 06, 2010 11:17 pm

First, you have to have an established order history with Lucky Mojo. For the order history, you have to have ordered from all the categories such as oils, mojo bags, candles, powders, incenses, baths, and so on.

Once you do that, then you call the shop, and ask if you are eligible to take the course. If so, and you have good order history, then Cat will arrange an appointment to speak you, to learn more about you,and your history with hoodoo. Then she will either approve or deny you. Once you are approved, you can purchase the course online, and then she will sign and send out the course book.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Malefic

Unread post by Malefic » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:32 am

I get that you have to have an established order history, and I do (though I still need to order a couple items off that checklist -- I've shopped with Lucky Mojo since back when getting vigil lights was only $6! But still I never had to order Four Thieves Vinegar or Chinese Wash, which it says are required purchases.)

I'm still unclear as to what it is you do then to order the course and the phone conversation.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Jun 07, 2010 1:43 am

You need to call or email the shop to see what it is left in order for you to qualify to take the course.

1. Establish an order history, and have ordered at least one thing in each category...if you have everything they will let you know if you can order the course

2. When you have met the requirments, ask for an appointment to speak with Cat.

3. Call to speak with Cat and she will want to get to know you. Per the phone conversation you will agree not to duplicate the course book, and finish the course homework. In this phone conversation, she will want to know your previous experience in hoodoo. Basically she wants to get to know more about you. When I enrolled in the course, she asked me several things pertaining to my ability to complete the homework.

4. Once she approves you, you can purchase the course online. After that she will send you the course book, and send you and invitation to enroll in the Student online yahoo group.

It is that simple, and if you have any more question direct them to the shop for clarification.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 07, 2010 10:18 pm

malefic:

You may be making it harder on yourself than you think. Call up the shop and talk to anyone that picks up...you will find that they are a wealth of information.

I will be signing up later this month. Don't sweat it or over-think it...

Good luck!

-joseph
Joseph Magnuson

tag227

Unread post by tag227 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:53 am

Hello,

I had a question about the course.

I would like to take the course in the future, but I have no intentions of being a rootworker professionally. Is it alright to take the course for purely knowledge reasons? The reason why I ask this is that I would be going at a rate far far slower than most people, because I have a full time job and will be starting school too.

I know if you take a course, you should graduate (or at least this is what I believe), but this may take some time for me, and I do not want to offend anyone, especially Cat.

Please let me know,

Thank you!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Aug 11, 2010 8:58 am

You do not need to become a professional rootworker -- although some of my students do.

You DO need to promise me, in a telephone conversation, to my actual ear, that you will turn in the homework and attempt to graduate. I no longer take on students who are just "sight-seeing."
catherine yronwode

tag227

Unread post by tag227 » Wed Aug 11, 2010 9:19 am

Cat,

I totally understand. And that is why I am not going to take it soon. Once a few more things in my life settle down, I will have the mental energy and the time to focus on my studies. I will only attempt to contact you, once I've got all my stuff in order.

Thank you for your response!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Aug 12, 2010 2:01 am

I recommend the course to anyone wanting to actually make an effort to learn traditional hoodoo and conjure. It is great for those who do work for themselves, for professionals, and for those looking to reconnect with their roots. It is definitely worth it.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate #1550, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu Aug 12, 2010 7:23 am

My wife and I will have the funds and time in September to finally take the Course together! It was going to be this month, but a cracked tooth/root canal/crown cost well into the $2000 mark...a high fee for us both! But with that past us we are now back on track! I can't wait... Hopefully we can get a moment of Cat's time around the weekend of the Sebastopol Cajun Zydeco Festival we're going to that month! We'll call the shop and check!

Good luck to you, Tag 227, and I hope to see you in the Course!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Thu Aug 12, 2010 8:10 am

I am planning on signing up for the course soon as well. I can't wait!!!!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:01 am

Hi everyone I've been reading over the info on the course and am very interested in taking it once I get a little money saved I'm actually looking forward to it and am saving money just for it! But the page was saying to look over the homework examples about getting a magical technique from an elder in your family or recipe or custom... The problem is (and yes I did read the FAQ) is that my family are members of an exstreamly strict religion (I won't say b/c I'm not sure if that's within rules) but basically I was never allowed to celebrate any holidays, birthdays, national holidays etc.

My family is very against anything related to magic and we never did anything that would fit into the examples given on the FAQ regarding christmas trees or horseshoes or anything that was all considered either "pagan" or "superstitious" or "worldy customs."

So I'm wondering when I take the course how would I go about getting the required info? And once again everyone in my entire family is part of this religion and everything I saw mentioned would be something they wouldn't do.

Unless and this may sound very stupid LoL a recipe could just be a dinner recipe? :( I mean I honestly did read the whole FAQ page on it and everything mentioned is something the religion they are in do not do at all I was raised thinking all that was pagan and or demonic.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:02 am

Did they have any natural or folk remedies that they used that were handed down from generation to generation? For instance when someone had a cold my granny would boil apple cider vinegar on the stove so that it filled the house on the steam. That is a folk practice, not really all that "magical" but part of the same type of thing.

Also, my family was very fundamentalist Christian, but when someone was very ill or injured, they would pray over olive oil and then anoint the person while praying. That's 100% biblical right there, and also pretty magical (but don't tell them that).

So there's likely SOMETHING they did that was a traditional practice that was handed down, even if it doesn't seem specifically magical.

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:14 am

Hmm I'm really trying to think Devi, the problem is their religion is not your average run of the mill sect of Christianity they don't even celebrate Christmas. And everything that would come close isn't a "family" tradition its just part of the practice of the entire religion.

The only thing they do that involves any type of ritual at all is once a year they gather at their "church" (in quotes b/c they call it something else but that's what it is) and commemorate Christ's death by passing a special type of bread and wine, but the whole religion does that.

Beyond that I mean I honestly have been thinking on this for a few days my family was very anti anything that was connected to even vaguely to folk tradition. I know this sounds crazy but its true they don't even hang religious art or anything in their houses.

As far as like what you were mentioning like what your grandmother did nothing like that comes to mind. I really want to take this course when I have the money I realize I have to order some other products first and practice work that I'm not actually needing at which is fine, I'm looking forward to it, but I am stumped with this. I mean they don't even wear crosses b/c they believe Christ was nailed to an upright pole/torture stake and not a cross.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”