Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Candles: Trim, Carve, Load, Petition, Pray, Dress, Light

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:17 am

Glad you found it useful!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Mon Jun 21, 2010 10:44 pm

Thank you again, Miss Cat. Guess I know what's going to be on the next order......several books! :lol: I already have started devouring yours, now time to read the others.

My concern about candle anointing stems from a trick I did that 'should' have worked, but didn't. There may be unseen forces at work, and not necessarily against me in this situation, according the reading I got from one of the AIRR members, but I just wanted to rule out an error on my part as to why the trick didn't work.

Okay, I'll stop being 'wacky' now......I think I'll start using the 'magnetizing' approach when I could argue with myself for both top to bottom or bottom to top. Once again, my thanks Miss Cat.
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Sun Jul 04, 2010 5:17 pm

I started a candle last week petitionn I made was for seven days. The first few days the candle kept going out by itself and I had to relight it several times plus I was putting it out during the day but by thursday or friday it was burning really good is the fact I did that going to mess anything up? Further more I can't remember if I lit it on monday or tuesday I'm pretty sure I did it monday as that was the day it arrived in the mail... What should I do?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 6:34 pm

When you say 'put it out' are you saying that you snuffed or pinchedit out...please do not 'blow' it out. Its ok to relight it at night even as a 7 day candle can be light and allowed to go out on its own.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Jul 04, 2010 8:00 pm

I don't personally snuff out vigil candles, but rather leave them to burn out. However, if a candle is going out look into a few factors that could be causing it. Either you have put too much oil in it, two the wax is drowning it, or three there is a spiritual cause. Look at the previous before choosing the latter.

The lovely Devi has recommended using a screw driver or similar tool to drive holes into the wax to help drain off the excess liquid wax and to keep the flame from going out. Try doing that and see that helps your problem.

Also, vigil candles may take more than 7 days, the point is to burn them all the way down. Good luck.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jul 04, 2010 9:26 pm

...and sometimes less than 7 ...there are a lot of factors involved...but follow ConjureMan's advice its great.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:40 am

I find most "7-day candles" burn out in about 5 days. Sometimes they take more or less, but just keep that in mind.

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Thu Jul 15, 2010 8:23 pm

1.) Does one put both the other person's and your own personal concerns on top of the name/ petition paper under love drawing vigils such as Follow Me Boy, Love Me, Bewitching etc.?
2.) Is there a favorite number (3,5,7 or 9) amongst you all that one should write the names?
3.) Does one fold-up the name/ petition paper placed under such vigils?
Thank you!

Best Wishes,
Shiva2500

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 3:56 am

1)Depending upon what the personal concerns are. I usually fold them into the name paper when it comes to love-type vigils. So if they are hairs, I tie them together (if possible and long enough) or I just put them inside the name papers, and fold them towards me. If they are pictures, I face the pictures toward each other , and put them under the candle with the name paper on top or bottom. It does not matter with pictures, business cards. If its like underwear I fold them inside the name paper.So if you can fold it inside the name paper that would be great if not then you can put them on top of the name paper under the candle.
2)You can use any of those numbers. I like to use 7 with vigils just because I know they typically burn for 7 days.
3)Yes.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Shiva2500

Unread post by Shiva2500 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 8:40 am

Hello Starsinthesky7,
I love your to the point explanations! Thank you for your help and clarifications :)

Best Wishes,
Shiva2500

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Jul 16, 2010 10:39 am

Youre welcome and best of luck to you.

Rainbow95

Unread post by Rainbow95 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 3:56 pm

i've been burning a figure candle and road opener candle but didn't cleanse it before i burned it. i only did this because i wasn't instructed by my reader to cleanse it before burning.

will this effect my work? i read that not everyone will cleanse candles......but now im worried :(
i want to do all my work properly as i can and the best that i can to get successful results :(

can i burn a white candle dressed with olive oil along side the other candles for cleansing?

cabriellenil
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cabriellenil » Sun Jul 18, 2010 4:15 pm

since you've already started your work, don't worry about it and let the work do its job, which is the important part. just cleanse the candles next time.
HRCC Graduate #1610

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jul 18, 2010 10:05 pm

Well, it is a nice practice to do. I cleanse my candles with ammonia, or florida water. In an extreme pinch some people use their urine, and i have even done it with rubbing alcohol. This is an important step because sometimes the candles are literally dirty. But this is important because I want to cleanse it from any negativity or anything else , and make sure its a "clean slate"

In your case, I would just continue your work,and you can go back light a vigil light to back up the work.

Rainbow95

Unread post by Rainbow95 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 4:37 am

I know :( I'm not going to let get get me depressed but i should've cleansed it. i have some ammonia even :/

a vigil light is a good idea :) any specific color? like should i still light a white vigil?

thanks stars :)

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:07 am

Rainbow95 wrote:i've been burning a figure candle and road opener candle but didn't cleanse it before i burned it. i only did this because i wasn't instructed by my reader to cleanse it before burning.

will this effect my work? i read that not everyone will cleanse candles......but now im worried :(
i want to do all my work properly as i can and the best that i can to get successful results :(

can i burn a white candle dressed with olive oil along side the other candles for cleansing?
It is not necessary. It is considered a "best practice" but if you didn't do it, it will not make or break your spell work.
good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Rainbow95

Unread post by Rainbow95 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 am

lol nevermind about that candle question stars. i got what you meant about the vigil lol

Rainbow95

Unread post by Rainbow95 » Mon Jul 19, 2010 5:13 am

lol nevermind about that candle question stars. i got what you meant about the vigil lol

Dxyz2010

Unread post by Dxyz2010 » Mon Jul 26, 2010 10:49 pm

i was wondering ,would vinegar jar work ? if we put targets hair and targets friends name and romantic rivals
as in my case my ex is getting lots of attention from her guy friends and unknown romantic rivals that i dont know
so she is not giving me enough attention that she should give me,
some of guy friends are trying to get her and influence her, so would freezer jar work for this situation or vinegar jar?
so was thinking if i make vinegar jar for souring her relationships with guy friends and some romantic interests
then she would automatically turns it to me for attention as honey jar is already going on but this people occupying her mind
is that good idea making vinegar jar or freezer jar?
or any other thing anyone suggest?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Jul 27, 2010 12:30 am

This thread is about a cursing candle. There is a long thread going about the vinegar jar. In addition, we have discussed how to use a freezer jar as well. You can go and do a forum search to see how they have been used in the past. If you know the actual targets names then I would go for the vinegar jar to sour the relationships. In this case, I would go for both the vinegar and freezer jar.

Please take a look at the forum and do a search as we have discussed many situation that are similar to yours. In addition, just because you eliminate these rivals does not mean she is going to automatically turn to you. You will still have to do the adequate work to get her to come to you.

perezdavidangel

Unread post by perezdavidangel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:19 pm

Cat, would you please teach me your method of dressing jar candles aka vigil lights? because When I dress mine I fell like im not doing it right and Its getting in the way of my spells beaing succsesful, if you dont mind of course. :D And if anyone eles got any suggestions please share, Thank you

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:25 pm

You may find this excerpt from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" useful:

http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html#dressing

I teach this subject in greater depth in my course. It is far too complex to give here. There are many methods, and i like my students to learn them all, because there are different traditions and different ways of working for different situations.

If you buy dressed candles from us, you will at least see the physical way we work. The rest is more a matter of styles of prayer.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:32 pm

One method would be to use a wooden skewer or heated screw driver to create holes in the wax. After the holes are created, you can dress the candle with oils or herbs by adding them into the holes in the wax. Be sure not to overdress (ie drench the candle in oil and herbage) the candle or it won't burn properly.

You might also want to look into LM dressed vigil candles. They're very convenient and take the guess work out of doing it yourself.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

perezdavidangel

Unread post by perezdavidangel » Mon Aug 09, 2010 7:54 pm

Cat, Could you at least teach me the physical part, please

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Aug 09, 2010 8:50 pm

Read the page -- the information is there!
catherine yronwode

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 1:36 am

Trying to figure out something extra to do today around dawn. I have a white glass encased candle and a white one that is in a red glass. I have Reconciliation oil, Balm of Gilead buds, Return to Me oil, Commanding oil, I Dominate My Woman oil, along with Reconciliation sachet powder and incense. Today is the friday that I've read will be good for love work. I also have Magnetic Sand and Loadestones. But I was thinking of using either of the seven day candles. Anyone have any recommendations I can fix up around sun up with the LM products I have handy?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Fri Aug 13, 2010 2:54 am

Yes you can use the white candle for anything, even crossing work. The color correspondences just add to the energy of the spellwork.

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:35 am

starsinthesky7 wrote:Yes you can use the white candle for anything, even crossing work. The color correspondences just add to the energy of the spellwork.
Cool stars, thanks, thats what I thought.

What would you recommend on how I dress it with the LM products I have? I want it to be special. I have some rose petals even. Can I use the candle that is white and is encased in red glass? It's just I've been reading everyone on here saying today is suppose to be a good day for love and she is getting back from a family road trip I think it was late last night and I'm hoping she calls me :)

I was thinking of carving like "(Her name), my your heart be filled with romance in love toward me" and dressing it with Return to Me and Reconciliation oils along with some Balm of Gilead in it and writing out a special prayer, lighting it along with my honey jar candle and shaking my bottle at the same time for a few hours does that sound good? Or should I leave out the Balm of Gilead? could I use my Reconciliation incense in some other special way other than just burning it?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:37 am

Evrything you mentioned sounds fine, just don't load the candle with too much burnable herbs or you will have a smoky, flaming mess on your altar. Some folks use the incense powder as a candle dressing, but again, go light on that.

Good luck to you!
catherine yronwode

ShadowyEmbrace

Unread post by ShadowyEmbrace » Fri Aug 13, 2010 9:39 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Evrything you mentioned sounds fine, just don't load the candle with too much burnable herbs or you will have a smoky, flaming mess on your altar. Some folks use the incense powder as a candle dressing, but again, go light on that.

Good luck to you!
KK thank you Mrs. Cat!

Oni_2

Unread post by Oni_2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 8:32 am

Hi I would like some information on petitions. When lighting a candle I like to write my petition on parchment but I never seem to know what to do with the petition once the candle has been consumed.
Can someone give me some ideas.

Anticipating a response.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Fri Aug 20, 2010 9:13 am

Oni_2

Unread post by Oni_2 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 11:10 am

thank you for such a quick response. I found the material very useful . My main work is basically to draw/attact things to the family but we live in an apartment complex. I was thinking that the best alternative would be to bury the petition in a potted plant. I like the idea of wraping it in foil and burying it in my potted basil plant. Again your feedback would be much appreciated.

Another thing the site said nothing about the front door but I was thinking too....how about placing a petition above the front door to attract. Ofcourse I would conceal it behind a photo.....just an idea I had while reading through the website.....what are your thoughts on this.

Blessing
Oni

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Fri Aug 20, 2010 1:27 pm

Petitions placed around the front door like you are speaking of are pretty common. Typically they are more of a protective nature than an attracting nature. However, there is an old time trick of placing a petition along with a pinch of five finger grass behind a picture in your living area so that when people first come into your home they are exposed to it and more likely to grant favors. I was taught this trick to use with difficult landlords and it has always worked for me :-)
Another way to dispose of petitions is to burn them and either bury or spread the ash--You can spread it close to where you live if the intention is to draw something positive, if its to get rid of something negative I would not have it near my dwelling space.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

fruitsmoothie1

Unread post by fruitsmoothie1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 4:40 pm

What if the petition just has ur name on it? I burned a purple candle that had, uncrossing, unjinx, success, health, road opener for got other two off hand. These were all on the outside of glass candle, it was seven in all. My name X on brown paper,what i'd like to know is what do i do with my name paper do i keep it or what? I disposed of candle in recycle bin, but still have name paper, should i keep it for further use? :?: Thank u in advance. Much blessings.

fruitsmoothie1

Unread post by fruitsmoothie1 » Fri Aug 20, 2010 5:19 pm

:?: And also started candle on a fri evening, and it burned completely by tues, morning, with just a little black soot at top and burned cleanly there after, my name petion was underneath. This is the same candle i mentioned previously by the way. With that b n said, is that a good or bad sign. Thank in advance for any help. Be blessed

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 3:00 am

In your first post, you put all of those ingredient on ONE candle. Personally, that is too many intentions on ONE candle. That is just my personal opinion.

I would have done one candle with uncrossing, and unjinxing. Then another candle with road opener. Then another one for health and success. You cannot just dump all the ingredient on ONE candle. That is probably why you got a little bit of black soot at the top. I would do each candle seperately. As for what do you do with the petition....you dispose of it.

Here is the link of how to properly dispose. Please read this link thorougly.

http://www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html

fruitsmoothie1

Unread post by fruitsmoothie1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 5:54 am

Thank u mr starsinthesky, i do apologize that i wrote my question wrong. But i don't and do not just dump anything or oils into my candles. What i was saying to clear things up was that those were the words written on the outside of glass encased candle, unjinxing, uncrossing, success, health, money drawing, block buster. But the candle was purple that was the why i had bought the candle. I am on this forum to learn mr starsinthesky. And i did read the links on how to dispose of, which said to recyle n was good for enviroment, so i did as such, unless it was for evil works, which is sonething i don't do. As for petition with name on it, i read that also it did say that u can keep dependind up on ur works qnd dispose of at a proper time, did n see anything bout ur personal name meaning myself, that is why i asked. The second part of my question was a continuance from first. Thanks.

fruitsmoothie1

Unread post by fruitsmoothie1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 6:04 am

:?: Oh by the way it was just one single glass encased purple candle, i used uncrossing oil and that was all. And was wonder n why it burnt it 5dys as oposed to 7dys. It burned quickly. And yes i did read that forum also as well. Thankz

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:08 am

So this one single candle was for unjinxing, uncrossing, wealth,etc? That was your intentions as it was written on the outside of the glass. My original statement is the same as that is too many intentions for one candle. In addition, purple would not be used for unjinxing, and uncrossing. If you are trying clear out negative obstacles, or if you have been jinxed, it is important to spend time on those steps. Each step is important, and that is just too much for one candle. Now you can use purple for money, and expansion. My question is what was the overall purpose of this candle?

The name paper is part of the contents to dispose. I am not sure why your candle burned so quickly, but you would have to get some divination for that.

Lastly, I understand you are here to try and learn.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:15 am

fruitsmoothie and others,

Disposing of a petition paper in fire after burning a candle is a fairly individual practice. Not everyone does it the same way. The most popular method is to burn the paper in the candle flame right before it goes out. I do not always do this, and i'd like to explain why:

If you are burning free-standing an offertory, jumbo, or figural candle, setting the petition paper alight at the end is a great conclusion to the ritual. All it requires is having a brass dish on the alter in which to drop the burning paper, lest you scorch your fingers. The ashes from the petition paper can then be mixed with sachet powder and used to further the intention of the spell, according to the many ways in which powders are customarily employed.

However, if you are burning a glass-encased vigil light and wish to perform a divination on the glass after the candle is finished, either via ceromancy (wax reading) or capnomancy (smoke reading), then burning your petition paper inside the candle glass will definitely smoke the glass up and change the signs you would have seen had you left the glass alone. Because a clear, clean candle glass portends success, it would seem counter-productive to smoke up a clear glass at the end of the rite, by tossing the petition paper into it and setting it alight.

If, for this or any other reason, you do not want to dispose of the petition paper in fire, you should not feel bound to do so. There are many cases in which you might find it a good idea to save the petition paper for further use rather than to dispose of it. Such future use may include setting it under another candle, but that need not not necessarily be the case. Depending on the kind of spell work you are performing, you may wish to wear the petition paper in your shoe, carry it in your wallet, hide it over a door-frame, set it loose in running water, or save it for a continuation of the candle rite at a future date. The latter is especially the case if the petition has taken the form of a packet rather than a mere paper and contains personal concerns or herbs that your be difficult to replace if it were burned.

----

I shall add the four paragraphs above to my "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" page on disposal of ritual remains in fire so that people can find them more easily than by searching the forum.

Thanks for asking!
catherine yronwode

fruitsmoothie1

Unread post by fruitsmoothie1 » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:33 am

:) Thank u sooooo very much miss cat for make n that more understandable. As always i appreciate u and this forum.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 21, 2010 9:44 am

You're welcome. The new material -- greatly expanded and clarified from what is in the post above, can now be found here:

http://www.luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html#fire

Keep on asking those good questions, fruitsmoothie -- i love you for doing that!
catherine yronwode

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:38 pm

I accidentally threw away my condition oils this weekend. I am travelling and mixed up the bag with my oils with my leftover lunch and threw it out.

My question - until I can replace them, can I just use the accompanying herbs in and around the candles without having the condition oil to dress the candle as well? Will that be effective?

thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 29, 2010 10:44 pm

Oils are the usual thing to dress candles, but herbs can be used too -- just don't use too much and make a flaming pile of herbs on the candles.

I don't know about "effective" -- but any time i do something so out there as throwing away magical supplies because i think they are my leftovers from lunch, i would want to check myself -- am i really putting my heart into this conjure work, if this really what i want to be doing?
catherine yronwode

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Sun Aug 29, 2010 11:19 pm

oh, yes, good point and I know it reads that way but I'm 1000% committed to what I am doing.

It was an honest mistake. I am typically very organized and compulsively neat and it was exactly that that caused me to throw the baggie away. At the end of each day I throw away everything I accumulate in my bag that day - muffin crumbs, lunch bag, bus passes, tour pamphlets, napkins, etc. I mistakenly assumed it was a bag of leftovers from some meal or snack. I had completely forgotten that I put the oils in there that morning out of some need to have them with me.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:36 am

With you being so organized, i think it would make it even more apparent that this was out of character for you. However, mistakes happen so perhaps it was just that.

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:46 am

with me being on vacation and outside of my normal routine, I really think it was just a mistake. Plus I have that compulsion to throw things away - I live with and carry the bare minimum. In my everyday life, i don't even carry a purse.

If anything, and with me normally being so meticulous, I almost wonder if I was being sent a message. I had my protection oil in there because I've been doing all that break up and crossing work. Maybe something circled back to me. I dunno...

Lady Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lady Muse » Mon Sep 20, 2010 12:03 pm

Hello,
I was just wondering, if she makes a tea out of the herbs and use the herb liquid in the candles will it be as effective as the oil if the herbs are propper for the intent?
Lady Muse
House of Self Empowerment - AIRR and HP Member - Blue Flag Root Radio

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Sep 20, 2010 3:15 pm

Water and candles don't mix since wax is oil based. If your candle is wet it can go out, or otherwise negatively effect your burn.

If she has the herbs to make the tea, she may as well just use a small pinch of the ground herbs to the candle as dressing.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Sep 20, 2010 8:33 pm

You can make a tea to bathe in, but I definately agree with Devi in that dressing a candle with it doesn't make sense.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 20, 2010 9:15 pm

Circled back is not the issue here, staying focused is...but we often learn from any mishap...

Lady Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lady Muse » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:09 pm

hummm, never thought of it that way as far as oil and water. I was just thinking of a drop or two in the well of a candle, not totaly drinching it with the herb liquid. However just a pinch of ground herb does make sense. Ive learned that if you have too much herb it is possible to get a bad burn so that is why I thought about a drop or two of the tea in the well. This was just as thought and question not instructions.:)
Lady Muse

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:20 pm

Putting water in the well of a candle will cause splattering (of hot hot wax), sputtering of the flame, and all that can easily dowse a candle - even if it's only a few drops. Best to just use a pinch of dry herbs...and you're right, too many herbs can cause big flames that can be dangerous, or can crack and soot up the glass of vigil candles.

Lady Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lady Muse » Wed Sep 22, 2010 12:40 pm

Thank you Devi,
Before I was able to purchase the good stuff (LM products) I used a water base scent in one of my candles and you are right, I did get a little sputtering effect. I was wondering why, thought it was a sign. I guess the sign was not to use that. I am new however eager to learn and enhance my gift. Thanks for the info.
Lady Muse

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Sep 22, 2010 4:27 pm

What type of candle are you using? If it is a free-standing like a 4" or a 6" or a Jumbo candle from LM, then you can grind up the herbs and roll the candle in the herbs. If dressed with oil it'll stick nicely. If not, you can sprinkle some herbs on softened beeswax and roll the candle in that.

If you are using a glass-encased or vigil candle then poke a couple holes on top of the candle and stick the herbs in there.

Lady Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Lady Muse » Thu Sep 23, 2010 1:36 pm

Hey ConjureMan,

Dont know if you were replying to me or AmaSarah. Any hooo.... I was using glass encased vigils.

I was wondering is there an easier way to get the grounded herbs down in the wells. I was reading that it would be a good thing to get the dressing through out the wax if possible. I am waiting for my order (very large:) yea!) which has the "Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic" book by Cat and "The Magic Candle" book by Charmaine Dey in addition to "The Master Book of Candle Burning" by Henri Gamache, and I know that I would probably find my answers within those books, however while waiting I was wondering if there is a particular way or order that you are suppose to set lights on the alter. Is there a pattern, grouping, etc.?

Thanks,

Blessing
Lady Muse

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 23, 2010 2:59 pm

Blessing, the way you are working is not really traditional.

There is no lesson in my book on shoving ground-up herbs into vigil candles because ... well, in my shop, in the way i was taught conjure, in the way we work, we dress candles with oils.

You can roll dressed candles in herbs, but that's for free-standing candles.

When it comes to setting vigil lights, you dress, pray over, and set them, but there are no set "patterns" that you must use. The placing of free-standing candles on an altar may be done according to a visual pattern, depending on what you are doing. Gamache covers this thoroughly in The Master Book of Candle Burning, which you have ordered.

I suggest that you study and learn more about the history, methodology, and customs of our work. This page from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" is a good starter:

http://luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html
catherine yronwode

RedRose

Unread post by RedRose » Thu Sep 23, 2010 6:44 pm

Obviously candles need to be cleansed before lighting what would you suggest is the best thing to cleanse them with?

Will plain water do?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 23, 2010 7:07 pm

Mmmm. Candles do NOT "obviously" need to be cleansed before burning.

I'd say that 99% of folks DON'T cleanse their candles, and they get good results.

The idea of cleansing candles is mostly associated with people working in the religions of Santeria, Voodoo, and Palo. Folk Catholics of the USA and European type, and most hoodoo practitioners, do not cleanse candles before use. I don't think Hindus do either. Nor Muslims. I may be wrong on the Hindus and Muslims, but none of them have ever instructed me to cleanse a candle before use.

We just prepare a petition, affix it to the candle or lay it under the candle, dress the candle, pray over the candle, seal or knock the candle, and light the candle.

Whatever you do, don't get water on your candle -- there are whole threads in here about people who washed their candles with water and then felt they'd gotten a "bad sign" because the residual water put their flame out. Silliest thing i ever heard -- 'cause OF COURSE water drowns a fire.

If you feel the need to cleanse a candle before use, use Hoyt's Cologne. It'll evaporate quickly and won't put your flame out.
catherine yronwode

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”