• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 7:01 am

Proper citation of an author's writing

Please report copyright theft here: Eliminate thieves and help maintain the online spiritual community as a place of trust and respect.

Proper citation of an author's writing

Unread postby myk5 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 5:49 am

When I post information about Hoodoo on my own website, I always use your writing as my primary source of information. I always give you credit and link back to this site or to my yahoo store where I can get affiliate credit if they buy your Hoodoo book there.

But I'm left feeling if you don't accuse me of plagiarism, you'll accuse me of wasting your time with self promotion.

Here's a link to my most recent appropriation of information about Hoodoo wherein I used your writing as source material: [link deleted]

And yes, Chaos magic is not Hoodoo, but Chaos Magic is a meta-paradigm and so can co-exist with Hoodoo in a personal practice that makes no claim to being strictly traditional.
myk5

Re: Proper citation of an author's writing

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:20 pm

myk5, you give a blanket, "this was written by cat" header, and then you just copy at will.

Your comments are in between, which is great.

Now you need to learn about quote marks. When you quote my words, put my words in quote marks. This is the decent, sane, proper way to quote someone.

---------------

Example 1 -- WRONG:

myk5 is where i got the idea that there is some debate whether the plant carries its own power or the power unlocked is your own and based in belief. Certainly if you want to go the belief route, sigil magic may suit you better. But there is also more than one way to imagine the herb or root being powerful as well, and the history of its magical use is in the collective unconscious, so in my work i use plants according to my own ecelectic intuitions

----------

Did you notice how much of that was your writing and how much was mine?

How would you feel if i took ALL of your pages and posted them at my site like that, and then compiled them into a book and put my name on the title page?

----------

Example #2 -- RIGHT:

To the chaos magician myk5, "the history of [a plant's] magical use is in the collective unconscious," which means that for him or her the oral and written traditions of a culture's inherited folklore might not be as important a source of learning as the practitioner's own self-perceived ability to tap into the collective wisdom of the culture through spiritual means such as meditation, introspection, or intuition.

----------

Do you see how i quoted you -- WITH QUOTATION MARKS -- and used your text as a building block to express my own ideas?

There is a difference. You have a long way to go before you become a writer rather than an assembler of scraps.

Start with quotation marks. Seriously. The use of quotation marks will satisfy legal requirements and mollify the authors from whom you borrow -- but more importantly, for your own growth, the use of quotation marks will force you to find your own voice, to develop as an adept and a mage, and to take wing as an individual rather than crawl in the mud as a mere copyist.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby myk5 » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:17 pm

Thank you for your indulgence and your tolerance, I'll edit the post soon. It's perhaps a more sophisticated edit than correctly using punctuation, you have the right to expect the words i attribute to you in quotes to be exactly and completely your own.

Thank you for the editing tips. I'll do better from now on.

The example you use leads me to infer that you're very offended, and for that I apologize.
myk5

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Oct 27, 2010 11:10 pm

myk5, no, i am not offended. I am blunt, probably too blunt for many people.

I am a 63 year old writer and editor with 43 years professional experience in the publishing field, so i was speaking directly and with conviction about the craft i have worked at daily to earn my living since 1967, telling what i know to one who may actually profit by my words.

You actually are a good writer, and if i didn't think so, i wouldn't have wasted my time telling you that stuff.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to Copyright Theft Reports and Results