Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Rabbit Foot Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
GreenMan

Unread post by GreenMan » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:04 pm

I am very drawn to the Rootwork tradition and find it to be a very peacful and Earth touch practice but I am a ethical vegan and an Animist i respect the use of animal products in tradition parctices but feel it would be counterethical for me to use them

What i'm wondring is if you could tell me what a good alternative to a rabbits foot might be as i realy want to use something like this in a mojo hand (yay good luck!)

Thanks!
Green<Man

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Rabbit Foot Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 29, 2009 11:53 pm

Hi, Green Man,

Hoodoo is like most forms of folk magic that date back hundreds of years in that it does make use of animal (and even human) zoological curios. However, unlike religions in which domestic animals are sacrificed, most of the zoological curios in conjure. such as the Rabbit's Foot and the Black Hen's Egg, are byproducts of farming or hunting, as developed in the American South from African, European, and Native American sources. As such, these items were never utilized by all practitioners, because not everyone had access to them.

So, to put it simply, although they are highly traditional, and still greatly valued by many, zoological curios have never been essential to the practice of hoodoo in the sense that you could not perform a spell without them, and there have always been substitutes for them.

And, going way back to the 1920s, there were vegetarian conjure doctors then too, i assume, because one of the oldest types of mojo hand i have seen advertised from that era is the "Southern Herb Bag" -- and it contains only herbs and roots, no zoological curios of any kind.

So how would you pick a substitution? Well, the Rabbit's Foot is for general good luck, especially in hunting, gambling, and winning sports contests. A similar charm, but strictly botanical, and somewhat favoured for use by men rather than women, is John the Conquer Root. If money matters are the focus of your luck-search, then Pyrite mineral will be advised. If you are a woman looking for love, you might choose a Queen Elizabeth Root for love-luck. Hoodoo also contains elements of Solomonic magic, and some folks might select a lucky talisman cast of metal onstead, made according to European Jewish magical traditions, as found in the Key of Solomon, anointing it with an appropriate hoodoo conjure oil and placing it in a mojo bag. A lucky coin, such as a Mercury Dime, would do as well for others.

In the end, it will be your choice -- and, of course, you can always carry more than one lucky charm in your bag,

Good luck to you, cat yronwode
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Wed Feb 04, 2009 8:37 am

Thank you for this discussion. I will head to cat's book for good substitutions based on what's available, then.

GuardianFlash

Can't Seem To Find Luckymojo's Rabbit's Foot

Unread post by GuardianFlash » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:49 pm

Hi, does lucky mojo still sell the rabbit's foot with van van oil? I clicked on the link on the rabbit's foot page and it says page not found.

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Re: Can't Seem To Find Luckymojo's Rabbit's Foot

Unread post by Lukianos » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi GuardianFlash--

Lucky Mojo does indeed still carry rabbit's foot with Van Van:

http://www.herb-magic.com/rabbit-foot.html

Hope this helps!
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Lucky Rabbit's Foot question...

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:16 pm

Hello all!

I have my Rabbit's foot on my altar now and am ready to dress it and take it out into the world with me. How should this be done? Has anyone found the best way/traditional way to wear one? I was thinking about putting it on my keychain (that is always hooked to my belt) but is it okay for people to see/comment on it? Other choices were worn around my neck on a leather or hemp string, with the foot on my chest. I would just carry it with me in my pocket, but they are always full of the workdays refuse and crammed packed.

Any suggestions? Just wondering if anyone has any more info other than the LM resource page.

Thank you!

Joseph

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Lucky Rabbit's Foot question...

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:39 am

Folks use them as keyring charms (which may be seen) and also put them into a flannel bag such as a mojo bag (where they are not seen). They are also sometimes hung from a car's rear view mirror (which may be seen).

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Oct 27, 2009 6:23 pm

Thank you, thank you! Question answered and awaaaay I go...

rabbitfoot

Researching Rabbit Foot

Unread post by rabbitfoot » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:50 pm

hi freinds Im new here . i just want you to help me. now i have a University research about the history of the rabbit foot and there ritual . you know the informations about it in the net is very poor . pleaze any one knows any thing about it or had experience with it tell me . i had seen some information about it in that book lucifer ascendent and in other site web like these site and wikipedia. but is not enought . This is an example of some of the information available . Please any person who has to correct this information. Or have particular experience help me .

First, not any foot from a rabbit will do: it is the left hind foot of a rabbit that is useful as a charm.
Second, not any left hind foot of a rabbit will do; the rabbit must have been shot or otherwise captured in a cemetery.

Third, at least according to some sources, not any left hind foot of a rabbit shot in a cemetery will do: the phase of the moon is also important. Some authorities say that the rabbit must be taken in the full moon, while others hold instead that the rabbit must be taken in the new moon. Some sources say instead that the rabbit must be taken on a Friday, or a rainy Friday, or Friday the 13th. Some sources say that the rabbit should be shot with a silver bullet, while others say that the foot must be cut off while the rabbit is still alive.

thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Researching Rabbit Foot

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 23, 2010 9:11 pm

See http://luckymojo.com/rabbitfoot.html

If you want to buy one, we sell them -- not "shot with silver bullets" stuff, just regular old American rabbit feet.

ZOO-RAB-FOOT Zoological Curio Rabbit Foot Curio with Van Van Oil $4.00

This is not a research site. It is a forum for customers of our shop.

ZOO-RAB-FOOT
Rabbit Foot Curio with Van Van Oil
$4.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

trish76

Unread post by trish76 » Thu Nov 18, 2010 11:09 pm

Hello again :)

I got my Hoodoo herb and root magick book Monday and I ordered my Lucky mojo supplies today...so I'm ready to get rolling.....almost lol. I already got a reading from Miss Bri regarding uncrossing/cleansing and FWOP. Because the person isn't here I have to use a doll baby for the uncrossing/cleansing. Once the uncrossing is done, I will work the FWOP.My question is that as I also ordered the rabbit foot with van van oil, I was wondering if I can use that with the doll baby because it is said to provide magical protection. I was thinking I would just wrap the foot around the doll baby...kind of an amulet by proxy lol. I did order the doll unfixed and unstuffed. I really was just planning on using it as the stand in for the cleansing (intending to stuff it with some of the 13 herb bath mixture) and then as the proxy for continued protection which I assume can be done with the rabbit foot and the van van oil. Is this more for luck or will it provide continued protection? Thanks in advance for any help.

Trish
"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not". ~ Paulo Coelho ~ ♥

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Using Rabbit Foot with Van Van oil in Doll baby

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Nov 19, 2010 4:14 pm

Fiery Wall of Protection is protection. Read about it here http://www.luckymojo.com/fierywall.html; it includes Rue (wards off evil), Sandalwood (safety), and Black Snake Root (protection). The Rabbit Foot is used for luck (read about it here http://www.herb-magic.com/rabbit-foot.html) however, the Van Van (http://www.luckymojo.com/vanvan.html) "clears away evil, provide magical protection, open the road to new prospects, change bad luck to good, and empower amulets and charms."
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

trish76

Re: Using Rabbit Foot with Van Van oil in Doll baby

Unread post by trish76 » Fri Nov 19, 2010 11:01 pm

Thank you for replying :)

I was just figuring out how to provide continued protection because I can't give the person I am doing the work for anything to carry with him. Reading the link you provided does show that after you work the spell, you carry a packet with the Angelica root, the Archangel Michael holy card, and some sachet powder dressed with the FWOP oil. I will just attach THAT packet to the doll-baby and possibly add a few drops of the Van Van oil as well. As for the rabbit foot, I will use it on myself to bring me luck in performing the spell (I'm only half joking here LOL :D )
"Don't allow your wounds to transform you into someone you are not". ~ Paulo Coelho ~ ♥

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:02 pm

More information on the Rabbit Foot as a conjure curio is here:

http://luckymojo.com/rabbitfoot.html
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 2:36 pm

Cat, i was wondering if you could tell us the ratio of dyed/colored rabbit's feet you get in the shop to non-dyed ones is? I HATE using the colorful dyed ones and have had really wonderful results with my natural rabbit's feet. Are the natural ones scarcer to get or does it just depend/differ on the orders?

Thank you!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Sep 06, 2011 3:23 pm

After 20 years of selling only the natural rabbit feet -- and getting lots of flak from customers who only want the dyed ones! -- we reached the point that where there had once been two manufacturing vendors in the USA allied with rabbit husbandry and fur-tanning businesses, there was now only one, and then we had to "custom order" the natural ones by the multiple thousand in order to get undyed ones. That strategy worked for about 10 years, but as of this year the meat and fur industry in the USA is in such economic collapse that all rabbit feet distributors are outsourcing production to China, so that now, even our placing orders for multiple thousands will not result in our being able to purchase natural ones because they are all dyed. I have not given up, but it would require a lvery large investment to order a factory run of natural ones from China, and i would need a Chinese-speaking broker to arrange the sale. Welcome to the modern world!
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Sep 06, 2011 5:30 pm

My goodness... That sounds like a storm of crap! That's the modern world for you for sure... Well, if you get your hands on a few of the natural ones please remember me... I will grab a few...

Thank you for the information! Best read of the day! Who knew!
Joseph Magnuson

Victoria03

Good luck mojo spilled open, is rabbit's foot still usable?

Unread post by Victoria03 » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:05 pm

Hi there,

Sadly my good luck mojo has died, the contents spilled out inside my coat pocket one night.

Is it possible for me to salvage to rabbit's foot inside?

Would this serve as a good luck piece on its own?

thank you!!
V3

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Good luck mojo spilled open, is rabbit's foot still usable?

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Dec 26, 2011 9:06 pm

Yes. Cleanse it with Hoyt's or whiskey and dress it with Van Van oil.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:33 pm

Other durable elements of your mojo bag -- roots and minerals -- may also be reusable.

Do some divination or otherwise consult the spirit. They can be cleansed just like your rabbit's foot and a new mojo made from them.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:34 pm

This is why mojo bags are ALWAYS tied, knotted, or even sewn closed!
catherine yronwode

TheHangedMan

Unread post by TheHangedMan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Good question. I've got another one though.

I have a lucky rabbit's foot charm as well that I dress every Sunday with van van oil and pray over it. I've developed a kind of relationship with the spirit of the rabbit's foot. I mean, I talk with it before getting in my car to get me to my destination safely and I thank it for getting me to work and home safely everytime. I've even given my charm a name. :)

Unfortunately, due to the wear and tear of keeping it in my pocket that I kept my phone in the foot kinda got damaged. The keychain snapped so I had to tie it to my keyring using a black leather necklace type cord. Also, the foot itself took some damage (poor charm lost most, if not all, his toes).

Despite all this I still dress with van van, pray and work with the charm.

Well, I just recieved my Lucky Mojo curio kit in the mail today that came with another rabbit's foot charm. I was thinking of creating a mojo hand and placing my old rabbit's foot in there and activating the new foot on my keychain. Any thoughts on this?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:58 pm

Souds good to me. I have a few older "retired" rabbit foot charms in mojo hands myself.
catherine yronwode

TheHangedMan

Unread post by TheHangedMan » Thu Aug 30, 2012 5:56 pm

Awesome. Thanks for the reply Cat! :)

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Sep 02, 2012 2:12 pm

I keep all of my "old" rabbit's feet for future work. They served me well and I take care of them even after they get old.
Joseph Magnuson

katrink
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by katrink » Mon Nov 12, 2012 12:30 am

I had my rabbits foot charm on my keychain and this weekend it broke off and fell to the floor of my car. I read through this section and I take it I can reattach this guy to my keychain and all should be well? Or should he be retired to my alter?
Lucky Mojo Certified Practitioner
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1725

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:55 pm

katrick: I would leave that up to you. You can do a quick divination to check, but I see no reason why you should not be able to reattach him and keep him going. Adding the foot to your altar would be lovely, but it does not have to be the only option. I always make sure to reinforce my rabbit's feet key-chains to prevent this very thing from happening! Give him a quick dressing with some Van Van and get him working again! :)
Joseph Magnuson

katrink
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by katrink » Wed Dec 19, 2012 12:07 am

Awesome, I am happy to hear I can keep him going I miss the little guy on my keychain. :)
Thank you!
Lucky Mojo Certified Practitioner
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1725

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Dec 19, 2012 7:03 am

I, too, get very connected to my Rabbit's Feet. Continued luck to you!
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:23 pm

ZOO-RAB-FOOT
Rabbit Foot Curio with Van Van Oil
$4.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

ThedaBara

Unread post by ThedaBara » Sat Mar 23, 2013 12:11 pm

catherineyronwode

This very thorough and interesting post had all the info I needed, but I want to post and thank you for being so respectful as well. I had this question for the same reason as the OP and it seemed logical enough given the interchangeability of other of curios with similar properties/functions, but based on the flak I've caught in other circles just for using the dreaded v word (and even when I didn't) I was kind of afraid of what I'd find. You's good people. :)

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:25 am

This forum tries to be as welcoming and as helpful as possible. Glad you found your answer!
Joseph Magnuson

LittleFoxy

Unread post by LittleFoxy » Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:24 am

I just bought a rabbit foot. can i dress it with van van oil then love oil?
Your word is a lamp to my feet
And the light to my path.
Psalm 119:105

Ms Melanie
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Ms Melanie » Sat Jul 18, 2015 7:00 am

Hi LittleFoxy,

Sure you can.

Good Luck!
Blessed be the Holy Trinity
AIRR Member
Love, Healing, and Uncrossing Specialist

ConjuringCat

Unread post by ConjuringCat » Wed Aug 19, 2015 10:48 am

With a Rabbit's foot can I ask it for luck on a test one day and then luck on a date on another day?
Or is it a one time deal where I ask it for luck with money and that's the only type of luck it will bring me.

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:03 pm

ConjuringCat ,

In your question I would ask for general luck and success rather then focus on one or the other when you prepare the foot. But definetly pray for it to give you luck in the specific area when it applies.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi ConjuringCat,

I agree with j82 and would add that you want to form a personal relationship with your rabbit's foot, the same way you would with a mojo hand. And then ask it to work for you in the areas where you need its help.

Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

Obsidian-Pizza

Unread post by Obsidian-Pizza » Fri Sep 04, 2015 6:14 am

So I accidentally dropped my lucky rabbits foot in the toilet this evening.. So unfortunate. What does this mean for my charm? Is there any manner of revival, or should I bury this one in the back yard and purchase a new one?

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Fri Sep 04, 2015 9:01 am

Hello Obsidian-Pizza,

I am of the mind that you get a new one. Ultimately the decision is up to you though. If you want you could use a pendulum or some other type of yes - no style of divination to see if the charm is still alive and well.

Peace~

Nathen

OrionPhilemon
HRCC Student

Unread post by OrionPhilemon » Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:18 pm

Hi all,

I wanted to validate a piece of information I have in my memory, but I don't remember the origin. I could have read it in English or French many years ago.

I remember reading somewhere one possible origin of the lucky rabbit's foot. It stated that in markets in cities in France in olden times, especially when there were times of famine or shortages, cats would be sold as rabbits. Apparently, a skinned cat and a skinned rabbit look almost identical (I'm guessing the heads are removed because of the ears). So, a tradition was started where the monger would leave one foot of a rabbit unskinned, because the hind foot of a rabbit looks distinct from a cat's hind foot. Therefore, when you bought your meat or game at the market, the foot proved that you were getting a true rabbit and not a cat. And hence...the meaning of the foot being extended to attraction of whatever.

Does anyone have any knowledge of this or can anyone corroborate this?

Kevin

Dr Darensbourg
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Dr Darensbourg » Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:12 pm

OrionPhilemon,

The Lucky Mojo Forum forum focuses on the African American tradition of Hoodoo/Rootwork/Conjure and how to use the products that we sell in spell work.

I do not believe that the rabbits fit made its way into this tradition via African knowledge and I personally have no knowledge of this but this really is not the appropriate platform for this discussion.

Our resident expert and proprietor is a very well-studied and well-versed intellectual who may have the answer you are looking for but I will leave that at her discretion to answer or not.

As a reminder this is a forum for helping our customers learn how to use the products they buy from us.
The Future is in Your Hands,

Dr. Keith Darensbourg, Ch.D
Correspondence Course Graduate #2132G

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”