Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
Luckbewithme876
Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:26 pm

One of the things I've noticed looking in books about magic and websites that teach it is that there's plenty mention of rituals and spells but little in the way of potions. This is one of the things about magic I'm most looking forward to learning.

Is that one of the things that'll be covered in the Correspondence Course?
Thank you to St. Dymphna!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:29 pm

Luckbewithme876 --

Yes, there is a chapter in the course on the interplay between magical herbology and medical herbology, including tinctures, teas, tisanes, and other potions.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Luckbewithme876

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:31 pm

Thanks Catherine. Also, a question pertaining to the stuff you list that is required to take the course. Are those all things we'll actually need and be implementing in the course?
EDIT: Never mind. Just now saw the thread for that very question. :oops:

Luckbewithme876

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:37 pm

Two questions. Are the things you list things that are a part of the lesson plan and that we'll actually be using in the course?

Also another. Do we have to purchase the things personally or can it be shipped to our adress and still count? I ask because money is somewhat tight with me right now and I have a much more well off friend who's doing most of the purchasing for me and having it shipped to my address.

candlemagician

Unread post by candlemagician » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:05 am

Luckbewithme876,

Part of the process is that Ms. Cat wants to know that as you read and practice and learn exactly what products you have used and worked with. I can't speak to this question directly, but I would think that if the account is in YOUR name, showing the required items being purchased they would count for you. No matter who actually pays for them.

I see this as more of an insurance issue for Ms. Cat, she will know that you have used and handled products she herself knows, and should you have questions or problems she can assist you with them. Also, its a very helpful part of this learning process, you learn hands on the difference in products, ( and there really is one) and more about each product you will work with.

Good Luck and I hope to read soon you are a new Classmate!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 3:33 am

You could have your friend get you a prepaid debit card which would enable you to purchase the items yourself. Many banks also sell VISA gift cards.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Luckbewithme876

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 1:51 pm

@Candlemagician oh no it's not that I was questioning that we hav eto make the purchases. That's perfectly understandable. I was just wondering if they would be used in the course. Hope to see you too. :)

@Mama Micki I didn't think of that thanks. :)

candlemagician

Unread post by candlemagician » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:43 pm

Luckbewithme876,

once you get your book, and start reading, you will see how fast you want to try things out, and yes, you will use them. Also it is why so many different types of product are wanted/needed. I can only suggest that you select as many different types of products as you can.

Good Luck!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 26, 2012 6:59 pm

Luckbewithme876 --

The things you need to purchase are mentioned in the lessons; you will want to look at them, smell them, and touch them at least -- and you may also wish to use them. It is impossible to learn a practical magical subject unless you open yourself to hands-on experience.

You will also need cultural experience to take the course. If you have no black American friends on Facebook, you probably will not be connected enough to the subject matter to take this course.

I see no reason to forbid someone else from purchasing for you, as long as all the products go to your address -- but if someone else is purchasing for you, i have very little expectation that you will ever actually graduate. Some people have graduated whose spouses bought the materials for them -- that is, they used their husband's or wife's credit card -- but almost NO student whose parent, sugar-daddy, aunt, grandmother, or friend bought his or her supplies has ever graduated. I actually can only think of one person who received the materials that way and has turned in the homework and graduated.

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:03 pm

That is an interesting statistic, cat. Very interesting. Good luck, Luckbewithme876. I hope you get to join the class.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

candlemagician

Unread post by candlemagician » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:10 am

I find those numbers very interesting, at least from my view...... for myself, the course is consuming. I find somethings more interesting than others, but, I couldn't have these products in my hands and NOT work with them!

I also don't understand how someone could be accepted in the class and not make Full use of both the information and products, and not even complete the course. I can't put the book down....

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:28 am

many people want to take the course for the sole purpose of acquiring the book. They are "collectors."
Joseph Magnuson

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:38 am

Some people make the assignments much more difficult than they are. I have been studying magic and religion a long time, so to me, the coursework was completely do-able and fun to complete, but I can't understand why people put obstacles in their own way. I wish I had started ordering with Lucky Mojo and had taken the course a long time ago.

candlemagician

Unread post by candlemagician » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:46 am

Joseph,

I am a collector, but not the kind you are referring to. Like Mama Micki just said, I wish I had found Lucky Mojo sooner... as well as taking this course. Not only that, This open a whole new world of friendships and interaction between like minded people.... students and those that have graduated.

It is an all around Great experience.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jan 27, 2012 11:28 am

Yeah, Joseph -- it's weird how some people just want "The Book" and have no intention of actually learning the work. But, i kid you not, i have interviewed a number of prospective students for whom obtaining "The Book" has become this pseudo-Grail thing, while learning the practice of conjure is given second place, a collegial relationship with me is given third place, and becoming familiar with African American community culture isn't even on the radar at all!

It SHOULD run in exactly the opposite order! The prospective student should seek out and become familiar with African American culture, then seek me out as a teacher through my large array of free online materials, then get to know me as a person, and finally, go through the steps required to obtain "The Book."
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Jan 27, 2012 7:02 pm

catherineyronwode wrote: It SHOULD run in exactly the opposite order! The prospective student should seek out and become familiar with African American culture, then seek me out as a teacher through my large array of free online materials, then get to know me as a person, and finally, go through the steps required to obtain "The Book."
That's exactly it! Take note future students. That's the truth.
Joseph Magnuson

Luckbewithme876

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Sat Jan 28, 2012 2:25 pm

Thank you for the cautioning Catherine. I'll be sure to be extra careful to be hard working in the course. My friend is happily paying the expenses for now. I don't plan on him providing for me forever though. It's difficult for me to find a job right now that doesn't interfere with college (hopefully the Money Drawing Spell kit helps with that). Magic is definitely one of the things I've wanted to learn for years now and I plan to give it my best effort and no doubt that it will be fun to say the least.

mountainwiccan

Unread post by mountainwiccan » Sun Jan 29, 2012 10:37 pm

I think the next time I get a bit of money I shall make a concerted effort to travel back to the Caribbean to speak with my family about those traditions.

Anyway there is so much to learn, that much is clear. I try to read as much as I can - almost every day really, but still, With Hoodoo, I really feel out of my depth most of the time... which in turn upsets and stresses me out a bit. I'm not sure if a lack of confidence is especially conducive to Rootwork...
"I have every sympathy with the American who was so horrified by what he had read of the effects of smoking that he gave up reading" - Henry G Strauss

Pixiestar1430

Unread post by Pixiestar1430 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 1:33 pm

Good day Mrs. Cat~

I love your show and I am learning alot from it:-)
I made a purchase for the following oils;
ADAMS AND EVE OIL
COURT CASE OIL
DEVILS SHOE STRING OIL
MONEY DRAWING OIL

I will continue to make the purchases every two weeks from the required list. I would like to know how soon do I call the shop to schedule and interview with Mrs. Cat? Do I need to buy all the required materials before I can be considered for the course? How soon can I enroll?

I have a strong passion for rootwork and I would love to work professionally as a rootworker in the longterm future.

Thank you so much in advance~
Pixie

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 02, 2012 7:21 pm

Hi, Pixiestar1430

First, the four oils you ordered are great oils -- but they do not qualify for all four course oils because none of the are negative (cursing, separating, jinxing, repelling) oils. You need two drawing oils and you have 3, and your fourth oil is for winning, so is also a positive oil. You need to get two oils like Jinx, or Damnation, or Separation, or Destruction, or Hot Foot, or Confusion, or Inflammatory Confusion, or Cast Off Evil, or Revenge -- oils with a negative emotional and symbolic context, because this negativity will be reflected in the ingredients, and i want you to see, touch, smell, and understand those kinds of ingredients.

Second, you have to make all the purchases before you can be scheduled for a course call.

Third, you have to make a minimum of four purchases over the span of four months (no weekend buy-out and Monday course enrollment). I want you to be working with and familiar with the products by the time we have our interview together.

Your plan of asking small purchases every couple of weeks is fine. It may cost you a bot more in postage than fewer purchases would, but it more closely approximates how people actually do come to familiarize themselves with these herbs, roots, oils, and other conjure products.

Finally, you will need to be connected in some way to African American culture to understand what the course is about. There is no need for anyone to take this course. You can all be perfectly sufficient practitioners without it. The course is for people who want to be my students, not for people who sit around and try to come up with ways to warp what i am asking them to do.

If you want to take the course, you must have a reason for doing so -- and be prepared to tell me what that reason is, because i will ask you about it. If your reason does not include a desire to understand the history and structure of hoodoo folk magic and its place in African American culture, you probably should not take the course. If you have no black Americans friends at Facebook, you probably should be studying some other system o magic.

Good luck, and i hope to be your teacher soon!
catherine yronwode

Jasmina
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jasmina » Mon Feb 13, 2012 3:30 pm

I just placed the last portion of the required purchases (and then some...lol)....I am about to call tomorrow morning to set up my interview with Miss Cat.....nervous and butterflies, hope I make it through :oops:

Mandos

Unread post by Mandos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 5:18 pm

Hi. I'm new on the forum. I don't know if it's the right place to post that but i try. I'm interested by Hoodoo and i'd like to learn by correspondence lessons. But, I'm french canadian from Quebec and i'm not enough comfortable in english for english lessons. Can you help me?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 22, 2012 6:45 pm

Mandos, i'm sorry, i only speak English and the course is only available in English.
catherine yronwode

Mandos

Unread post by Mandos » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:01 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Mandos, i'm sorry, i only speak English and the course is only available in English.
You don't know someone who could teach me in french?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 22, 2012 9:08 pm

Mandos, This thread is about my course, not about other people's courses.
catherine yronwode

Mandos

Unread post by Mandos » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:53 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Mandos, This thread is about my course, not about other people's courses.
Yes! I mean someone who can teach you course in french.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Fri Feb 24, 2012 4:15 am

Hi Mandos,

all of the course material is in English I'm afraid. It is also the language that you will submit your homework in. Some of us who have taken it are francophone (moi par exemple) but we've had to slowly but surely translate our way through the work. It is more than worth your while to do that and your graduation will be even more meaningful as a result.

Blessings.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

Mandos

Unread post by Mandos » Fri Feb 24, 2012 8:16 am

aura wrote:Hi Mandos,

all of the course material is in English I'm afraid. It is also the language that you will submit your homework in. Some of us who have taken it are francophone (moi par exemple) but we've had to slowly but surely translate our way through the work. It is more than worth your while to do that and your graduation will be even more meaningful as a result.

Blessings.
Thanks Aura,

heartexalted

Unread post by heartexalted » Thu Mar 01, 2012 7:00 pm

On the correspondence course page, I read this about the purchase requirements:

4 Lucky Mojo hoodoo conjure oils,
one each for love, money, protection, and negative work
2 Lucky Mojo self-lighting incense powders,
one for attracting and one for repelling or harming
2 Lucky Mojo sachet powders,
one for attracting and one for repelling or harming
2 Lucky Mojo bath crystals,
one for uncrossing and one for attracting money or love

Earlier in this thread, I read this post:
catherineyronwode wrote:There are nine basic conditions covered in the course: love, money, blessings, court cases, protection, power, change, cleansing, cursing.

There are 10 oils and foils required (4 oils, 2 incenses, 2 sachets, 2 bath crystals). Pick one item from each of the nine categories regardless of the form it takes, and then do a second one of your favourite category or, better, one that straddles two categories. So, for instance, you could select an array like this:

Love Me Oil [love], Court Case Oil [court case], Money Drawing Oil [money], Crossing Oil [cursing]
Cast Off Evil Bath crystals [cleansing], Blessing Bath Crystals [blessing]
Van Van Incense Powder [change], John the Conqueror Incense Powder [power]
Fiery Wall of Protection Sachet Powder [protection], Fast Luck Sachet Powder [love and/or money]

That's just a sample list -- i really have no serious recommendations -- it's up to you!
Of course, in the example above, the suggestions don't seem to correspond exactly to the description on the correspondence course page...so I guess my question is, for my purchases, would I need to focus on "one for attracting and one for repelling or harming," "one for uncrossing and one for attracting money or love," etc.? Or should I be thinking about splitting the oils and foils among the nine conditions (love, court case, blessing, etc.)?
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
-Proverbs 8:18

DCorobane

Unread post by DCorobane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:10 am

Hello,

I'm about to make my first order of herbs and minerals for the Correspondence course requirement purchases but I did want to check on something.

The book, Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic, was given to me by a friend who no longer wanted it. Is it still required that I buy the book from the store here? I would hate to be redundant in buying it again but I also understand if it is a requirement to purchase it from Lucky Mojo...

Thanks
D
There is no other way into the Supernal mystery but through her and the Beast on which she rideth

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Mon Mar 19, 2012 12:55 pm

Hi DCorobane,

If you were already given the book then no, you don't have to purchase it. As the requirements pages specifies (http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html):

''Students are required to have a copy of my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic", as i will be referring to it often by page number, so if you don't already have a copy of this book, you will have to order it at the same time that you enroll in the Correspondence Course.''

Happy learning and enjoy! LM products are really a class apart.
Aura Laforest

DCorobane

Unread post by DCorobane » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:41 pm

Thank you very much, I look forward to it ^_^
There is no other way into the Supernal mystery but through her and the Beast on which she rideth

Earthwitch

Unread post by Earthwitch » Mon Apr 09, 2012 11:16 am

Hello everyone,
I think I am a ready to sign up for HR course.

I am hoping to reach Miss Cat to set up phone interview. i don't see the personal email for her.

I think I need to get a couple of more things on the list I know :
2 bath crystals
1 lucky Mojo 4 thieves Vinegar
1 goofer's Dust
1 sashay powder for repelling ( I already have for money attraction) I was thinking a Protection one like Un=jinx powder
I will probably getting these with my next order. I need 3 more railroad spikes to complete protection.

I have read the Hoodoo Theory page and read the Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic Book when it arrived in one setting. I am ready to get my hands dirty, lol. I just graduated with my first degree, so I feel so open to learning right now. I have been saving money for the course as well.

My customer # E54906 ( which I forgot to include with my last purchase). I purchased Crown of Success oil, and some others to help with New Job searching. If this works out I will be able to really stock up with Lucky Mojo products like I want.

Aside from what I need for class I have a long shopping list, but limited funds. so work before pleasure I figure I better make my request now.

My background is a family one of native American/southern African American tradition. I come from a lineage of healers and rootworkers. My grandma was Cherokee and grand dad was blackfoot. I know only what I remember from her teachings and my moms.I do certain things and never knew why until researching. Miss Cat writings have helped tremendously to put the pieces together. Like why I where what I wear in a medicine bag or why I still make camphor and angelica or comfrey pouches for my kids. My mom is 77 now and memory is failing. I don't want these traditions to be lost.

I hope that I will be accepted.

katrink
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by katrink » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:40 am

(don't forget the person above me, I want them to get their answer)

Have a quick question, for submitting homework, I read somewhere that it is all right to send it all together at once? I can't remember where I read that, I just want to confirm that's ok, I think I want to do it that way and then stick tracking on it because I am paranoid. Not in a big rush for this yet, I am still waiting to get my schoolbook, I was just curious if this is ok? Or would you prefer I send each assignment in by itself?

Posting this here as I am waiting on my ID number and I did not want to yahoo group post without that.
Lucky Mojo Certified Practitioner
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1725

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 14, 2012 6:35 pm

Earthwitch -- once you have all your purchases, then Della or someone else in the shop will set you up with a free appointment with me to talk about the course and your expectations and mine. It may be a few weeks, because my time is closely booked, but be patient and we will get together. Your background sounds ideal for taking the course.

katrink -- either way is okay, all at once or one or more at a time. We keep records electronically and simply check off the humbers of completed homeworks as we grade them.
catherine yronwode

Auntie Les

Unread post by Auntie Les » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:34 pm

hey y'all!

I just want to say that I came across Lucky Mojo Curio Co. in just the last month or two, and WHOA! my life has completely changed directions- for the better!

As a mixed race woman with a Southern family & heart, it is so interesting that NOW has come to be my "time" to find Lucky Mojo and Cat Yronwode. I decided after a week or two of perusing the catalogue & online book that the correspondence course was written for ME! And when I read the requirements, truthfully I was a bit annoyed with the shopping list, spread over four invoices, "yada yada yada"... Can I say now that the shopping list is actually GENIUS? I placed an order, and while I waited for it, I read & learned & tried some things, and needed a SECOND order! And now, waiting for that second order, I need more stuff! The more I learn, the more I find that my small inventory of herbs & oils & candles I've been collecting is simply inadequate for any person serious about learning rootwork.

In my beauty business, I'm known for (and proud of) my talent for creatively "cocktailing" products & ingredients to get just the right formula, and of course using discretion when deciding when a "cocktail" is necessary... I'm finding quickly that conjure work is a whole new avenue of "cocktailing" ingredients & such to get just the right formula. Now I think that Cat Yronwode made that vague, general shopping list JUST FOR ME! Too funny! And this, another simple stroke of genius:
catherineyronwode wrote:There are nine basic conditions covered in the course: love, money, blessings, court cases, protection, power, change, cleansing, cursing.

There are 10 oils and foils required (4 oils, 2 incenses, 2 sachets, 2 bath crystals). Pick one item from each of the nine categories regardless of the form it takes, and then do a second one of your favourite category or, better, one that straddles two categories. So, for instance, you could select an array like this:

Love Me Oil [love], Court Case Oil [court case], Money Drawing Oil [money], Crossing Oil [cursing]
Cast Off Evil Bath crystals [cleansing], Blessing Bath Crystals [blessing]
Van Van Incense Powder [change], John the Conqueror Incense Powder [power]
Fiery Wall of Protection Sachet Powder [protection], Fast Luck Sachet Powder [love and/or money]

That's just a sample list -- i really have no serious recommendations -- it's up to you!
I love the suggestion of getting one of each, and an extra one of your favorite! Honestly, I was bothered by the "negative/repelling" requirement (hey, I'm a lady, in some ways anyway lol), but now I'm actually excited to decide which negative/repelling items I will choose; just because they are "negative" or "repelling" doesn't mean you have to use them to kill your slum landlord (that did NOT cross my mind, i swear)... I can already think of some creative ways to use them in some work that can be actually really positive. I positively hopeso, anyhoo!

Thank you so much, Cat! I can't wait to get all my supplies together and my head ready- I strongly suspect that devouring your course is in my (near-ish) future.

Leslie

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:36 pm

Auntie Les, you are exactly who this course was designed for! You will love it. And your knowledge of "cocktailing" is SPOT ON THE MONEY -- that's a wise woman speaking there, and in times to come i will be honoured to be known as having been your teacher.
catherine yronwode

Auntie Les

Unread post by Auntie Les » Sat Apr 14, 2012 8:58 pm

Well, Mrs Cat, I'll tell you, I'm suffering a lil' tummy issue right this very minute, and getting the email notification that your replied to my post distracted me from my physical thingy... I think you could only be trumped by Madonna! You've made my whole year thusfar! Thank you for your insight, I am so very much looking forward to being your student, and bragging that I learned from the revered Cat Yronwode!

Thank you!

Leslie

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:03 am

cocktailing...I like that word. Also as a graduate of the course, I can truly say the ordering is the best thing ever. The items requested are necessary if you are a serious students and cat appreciates serious students. I especially like how the course starts with cleansing followed by protection before any of the other work is discussed. A friend of mine had been doing rootwork for years and never did any type of cleansing work. I turned her on to it and she is more than satisfied and happy that I did.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Auntie Les

Unread post by Auntie Les » Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 am

jwmcclin, you have got me SO pumped! I think I'll order something right now. Thanks for your insight- very useful!

Les

hashhashino
Newly Registered

Unread post by hashhashino » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:19 am

what if im not hoodoo person but i believe that it has its value and and am interested in your correspondance course and i already have made purchases from your store.

I would still need to buy the books but do i like to interview or like get a referral or send in an application

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:27 am

hashhashino --

I am not sure what you mean when you say, "I am not a hoodoo person." Hoodoo is black American folk-magic. It is not an initiatic order or club to which one either belongs or does not belong and it is not solely a profession, for most practitioners only work to help themselves or their families. Essentially, if you are a practitioner, you ARE a "hoodoo person."

Read more about what hoodoo is -- and is not -- here, in my "Hoodoo History" web page at "Hoodoo In Theory and Practice"

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

Then read the web page that explains how to apply for the course.

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

Once you have purchased the required items -- and if you believe that you can adhere to the four required agreements -- you can call the shop and they will schedule you for a telephone interview with me which will take about half an hour, but could run longer. If i feel we can work together and you have a good chance of completing the course and graduating, i will take you on as a student.

That's all there is to it.
catherine yronwode

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:31 am

hi hashhashino,

before you can obtain an interview or buy the book, you'll have to complete the required purchases in their entirety. It will give you at least a minimum of supplies to work with in the course (which you'll need for some of the homework) as well as a bit of a feel for hoodoo to begin with. reading Miss Cat's book on-line (HITAP): http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html as well as her book on Herb and Root Magic : http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html can also give you a better idea if the course is for you.

The application details are available via the following link: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html

Blessings and enjoy the learning: the information Miss Cat has made available is valuable and extremely interesting (and useful!).
Aura Laforest

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Fri Apr 27, 2012 6:06 pm

Got my course book today! This isn't quite on par with my wedding day, or when when my daughters were born, but it comes close. I can get away with saying that because my wife doesn't read this forum...
Two-Headed Doctor

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sat Apr 28, 2012 2:20 pm

I remember the feeling Mister Hob, my wife and I received ours in the same package and were very, very happy that night! I'm glad to read you are feeling this way as well.
Joseph Magnuson

Wendy Rose
HRCC Student

Unread post by Wendy Rose » Wed May 16, 2012 12:08 pm

Oh, guys, really can"t wait for the time when it"s possible for me to apply for the correspondence course.....!!! I am posting here for a while now and I am waiting for my first two orders to arrive. Next month, with my next salary, I will start to purchase items for the course list. In the meanwhile I start to get my hands dirty so I will be prepared when I can start the course. Just want to let you know that I am happy for you already starting, can't wait to join too :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1825

Enrique1014

Unread post by Enrique1014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:04 pm

Hi cat and fellow forum users!

My name is enrique and I am very interested in taking the correspondence course in order to learn more in-depth information on rootwork. I am 19 and have been interested in the course for a very long time so I was wondering if there are any age requirments for the course. thank you! :)

enrique

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:17 pm

You are not yet 21, so you will have to talk to catherine. There are some purchases you need to make first:

hrcc-required-purchases-for-corresponde ... 15861.html

After you have met the purchase requirement, you need to speak with Miss Cat before you start.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 18, 2012 9:50 pm

I limit students to those age 21 and older for two reasons:

(1) people under 21 rarely if ever graduate;

(2) people under 21 may, in some nations or regions, be considered juveniles and since there is some mention of sexual elements in the course (not much, but some), i would prefer to steer clear of anything that may be construed as corrupting the morals of a minor.

I will accept students under 21 with the express permission of their parents.
catherine yronwode

Enrique1014

Unread post by Enrique1014 » Mon Jun 18, 2012 10:36 pm

I can try to do that but i don't live with my parents; i live on my own right now.

down the road when i have my supplies and talk to you i would try to talk to them.

enrique

Lord SP
HRCC Student

Unread post by Lord SP » Fri Jun 22, 2012 8:23 am

Miss Cat,

I am a proud African American with European influence as I live in the Suburbs of New Jersey. I was thinking the same thing that it would be an honor to befriend those students taking the Course who do not have immediate access to African American people. Because I feel the same way it's not about skin color it's about culture. We'll speak more about it when I call in tomorrow 6:30pm-est for my interview I called in the other day and spoke to Katrina who was very helpful in setting up my interview. Have a great day everyone. Lord SP

Wendy Rose
HRCC Student

Unread post by Wendy Rose » Tue Jun 26, 2012 4:10 am

Hi, I just placed my next order and applied for the correspondence course in my order. (with a really cool round order number, so I hope this brings some luck :)) Not sure which route to follow in this but really excited that I made this step to apply I make post here too! Coming from Holland I am so glad that there is a possibility of following the corresponding course. Dreaming deep within of a cool holiday in America too some day. Now today is the first step! Thanks for the joy already :)

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:09 am

Congrats Wendy Rose! It would be great to meet you one day at the Workshops that happen every year in May. Miss Ida Lundin, a fellow forum Mod and friend of mine, came all the way from Sweden last year for the apprenticeships and the workshops, and we had a blast learning and meeting everyone that week!
Good luck!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

Wendy Rose
HRCC Student

Unread post by Wendy Rose » Tue Jun 26, 2012 9:17 am

Thank you so much. I hope I can start and otherwise I keep applying ;) I saw last years workshops with the apprenticeships following after that. That's was one of those moments you feel a seed falling in the earth. It would be so great meeting people and learning more things! Thanks for the nice reply!

notnoobnotexpert

Unread post by notnoobnotexpert » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:03 am

I'm thinking of taking the HRCC sometime in the future but have a question regarding one of the requirements. It says that we have to publicly display our real names in the course. While I have no problem at all signing my real name to any necessary papers, etc., with Mrs. Yronwode and/or Lucky Mojo, I do have issues with displaying it publicly for the course. There are many, very good reasons for this caution on my part.

I don't intend to become a professional practitioner, but would like to learn more for myself and loved ones. Is there any way to participate in the course without displaying one's real name, as long as the contracts are signed with the real name? Thank you, and Happy 4th of July!

I ask about contracts because there's a post/thread here about a woman selling rootwork products. She had completed Cat's course, but when it was time to sign a contract (?) she refused. I'm not exactly sure if it's the same thing, or maybe I misunderstood that situation.

My question, I suppose, would be the reverse of that, though without the professional practitioner intent.

There's a ways to go before signing up for the course, such as getting Cat's books, etc., but I figured might as well research now and get questions out of the way.

taramaria

Unread post by taramaria » Wed Jul 04, 2012 8:33 pm

I just read through almost every post here, and I hope I am not missing my answer. In the course there is the chapter on amulets ;

Lesson 31: Papers and Petitions Part 1: History of Inscribed Amulets and Petitions

Does this chapter teach you how to make amulets?

Also reading the posts I saw some graduates state they completed the course and wanted to do the apprenticeships. The apprenticeships as I understand it, are not a prerequisite to graduate the course correct?

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Wed Jul 04, 2012 11:45 pm

--notnoodnotexpert

I don't know anything about "contracts". You will be asked to make certain verbal agreements with Miss cat in order to take the course; mostly to do with trying to finish the course, and respecting her copyrights. Your real name will be required on the Yahoo group, and will be listed on student contact lists, which are available to other students and graduates, but not to the general public, to my knowledge. It is my understanding that using your real name within the course community is a non-negotiable requirement.

--taramaria,

The apprenticeships are in addition to the course. You can graduate the course without taking them. Think of them as the "graduate school" of the course.
Two-Headed Doctor

notnoobnotexpert

Unread post by notnoobnotexpert » Thu Jul 05, 2012 10:46 am

Thank you, Mister Hob! That's something for me to really think about, then. I'm not at all comfortable with that last part, though it wouldn't be a problem for me if it was an in-person course.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jul 05, 2012 12:02 pm

notnoobnotexpert --

You asked, "Is there any way to participate in the course without displaying one's real name, as long as the contracts are signed with the real name?" and the answer is that i require the use of real names.

I have written and published thousands of web pages for free anonymous study.

I have written books which can be purchased anonymously as well.

I co-host the longest-running radio show on hoodoo and we take calls and answer queries about rootwork from anonymized callers every Sunday.

This forum also allows for anonymized questions where you can receive personal replies from me as well as from our great team of board moderators.

Every year we host a weekend of workshops where anyone can attend and real names are not required. Pre-payment is through Paypal and can be anonymized.

Having said all of that, the course i teach is for people who are my social equals, acquaintances, friends, and those with whom i have a personal relationship of some sort. The same goes double for my FREE Apprenticeship program. You have to be known to me and you have to be a course graduate to come to my home to study.

I would not invite you to eat at my dinner table under a false name and i will not teach you under a false name. Sorry.

So, for you, and for others with a mental, social, or psychological desire for anonymity, i recommend what in other esoteric traditions would be called "outer court material." You are welcome to study and learn from the literally thousands of hours of web reading, book reading, radio listening, and workshop attendance i offer.

You will never get me to change my very firm and life-long decision to only teach people whom i know well enough to invite to my home for supper -- and it is pointless to try.

Next, as to "contracts," you did misunderstand the topic, i think. What happened was that a graduate of my course, whose real name was known to me, asked to take my FREE Apprenticeship and to be a guest in my house while doing so -- but when i asked her to sign a standard non-disclosure agreement, she refused and left our property abruptly

A non-disclosure agreement is a contract that ensures that each party is expected to perform a certain activity in a certain way.

A non-disclosure agreement is not required of students in the course, but an agreement to abide by copyright law is definitely required of students.

In the case of my Apprenticeship program, the non-disclosure agreement is an agreement made by one person (the Apprentice) to abide by certain terms and conditions in exchange for an agreement made by another person (me) to provide certain information. One cannot become an Apprentice without graduating from my course and coming to stay here in Forestville for a total of three weeks, and one cannot become a graduate from the course without being accepted for the course, and one cannot be accepted for the course without revealing one's legal name to me.

------

taramaria --

The course work on amulets consists of three chapters and covers world-wide folk-magic practices, with a focal emphasis on methods specifically used in Southern conjure.
catherine yronwode

taramaria

Unread post by taramaria » Thu Jul 05, 2012 4:12 pm

Oh good. I have long wanted to learn to make amulets and the way it was worded I wondered if it was just the history of amulets.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”