Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Santisima Muerte Santa Muerte Holy Death Spiritual Supplies

All about Lucky Mojo religious supplies, church goods, and altar tools, plus prayers to God, angels, spirits, saints, and deities.
Miss Understood

Re: Sanitisima Muerte for Reconciliation

Unread post by Miss Understood » Fri Sep 30, 2011 1:22 pm

Turnsteel wrote:To perform the novena to Santisima Muerte,as described on that LuckyMojo page, you need a string that has the semen of the man on it, a Santisima Muerte statue and to read the novena.
This is what I was reffering to.

theKING
Re: Working with Santisima Muerte / Santa Muerte / Holy Death

Unread post by theKING » Sat Oct 01, 2011 3:43 am

Has anyone had results using this novena??
Theres not much on it : (

Chardonnay

Unread post by Chardonnay » Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:14 am

I am sorry if this question has been asked before : I want to know about working with Santa Muerte but is semen really necessary ? I have booked a reading and once I get the green light (if I do) I want to work with Santa Muerte for reconciliation but won't be able to get semen (as I'm not with him hence the reconciliation). I feel that this saint is better suited because my target is hard hard hard headed. He won't listen to no one except himself even if he feels for the issue. Anyways just wanted to know if no semen will work ?

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Oct 01, 2011 11:46 pm

That refers to a specific work involving sexual fluids from the husband as a personal concern. It has nothing to do with the prayer, Miss Understood. Nevertheless thanks for pointing it out to others who may have had confusion.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate #1550, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Sun Oct 16, 2011 1:39 pm

Okay, I really don't want to have my head bitten off here, but I feel the need to mention that anyone can petition Santa Muerte. Some people display a fear of her, which is a form of respect and I understand and entertain that idea. But for anyone interested:

-Death comes to everyone, it is the only just thing in this world. Regardless of social standing, sexuality, gender or color... Death will come to you. She is a powerful force, needing respect, but for myself personally, I have a natural love and affection for the white lady. I do not approach her out of fear, I approach her because she will be with me in my final moment on this planet. I find her beautiful and inspiring.

Working with Santa Muerte (at least with prayer and vigil lights) is open to all people, there is no need for an intercessor. Again, I don't want my head bitten off for saying this, I agree she deserves respect, but her arms are open to everyone.

Peace,
Callum R
Thank you St. Expedite

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Oct 16, 2011 8:49 pm

That's very nice you feel that way Callum. Holy Death is indeed a fair and just being. That said she does not work with everyone. She takes some as her devotee and not others. I know many workers who have attempted to cultivate a relationship with her and she simply was not interested. While others she has approached on her own.

As to intercession, there is a general practice of working with her only under the power of another protective saint. This is a common practice in Mexican folk practices--the culture to whome she belongs.

As with all saints the path to her should be paved with respect and love.

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Mon Oct 17, 2011 4:17 am

I have heard of the need of a Protective Saint before invoking her, a wise practice, not due to Santa Muerte being harmful... But simply because 'energy sticks'. It is like performing any form of jinx or crossing work, you cleanse afterwards. With Santa Muerte, you protect before petitioning.

I myself had an interesting dream with Santa Muerte, is spoke volumes... Death is more concerned with the activity of the living then the dead... Ironic, in some ways. Very true however, the dead don't die another death, you die only once... whilst alive. ;)

Callum R
Thank you St. Expedite

theusurper

Unread post by theusurper » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:57 pm

I'm very devotee to St Martha but i asked her if i can work with the Santa Muerte and i told her to give me a sing, well few hours latter i found the Novena and when i was reading the Novena to see the prayers, my target called me and i'm not expecting his call. My question is, is that a sing to work with her. some advice, please

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:30 pm

Generally speaking, keep Santa Muerte separate from your workings with St Martha, as holy death can get jealous.

I also recommend prayer to the archangel Micheal before you invoke Holy Death, as she is the force of death... Prolonged invocation may result in suicidal thoughts, perhaps illness etc (Not because she is trying to harm you, but because that is her energy and energy sticks.) A prayer to a figure like archangel Micheal should do the trick, ask him to clear and purify any negative energies and to safe guard you from these, you may wish to pray to him after workings also.

I would also recommend asking permission from God before invoking her, such as: 'Dear Lord, I ask for your permission to invoke Santa Muerte/Holy death'... Then proceed to talk to her.

Talk to her for a period before you begin any heavy magickal working, leave offerings (cigarettes, water, sweets, tequila, flowers, incense, apples etc.) Build a relationship.

Set up an altar, containing some or all of the offerings above. If you cannot get a statue, buy a prayer booklet and put the image in a frame. Use a nice cotton cloth on the altar.

Never look down on Santa Muerte during prayer, ALWAYS look up... the latter being respectful. So place her altar at a height, so if seated, you are looking slightly up... Or on a shelf, so if standing during prayer you are looking up.

If you were going to purchase a statue, white is usually the first one, unless color is otherwise given by Santa Muerte herself. In time, you may purchase red then black. If using black, cover the white so she does not become tainted and remains pure.

I've covered quite alot, if I've missed anything, I am sure someone else will cover it... If you have any questions... Ask :)

Also... ENJOY! :P

Callum R - Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

Nolongerhere

Santa Muerte figure candles.

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:30 am

I don't recall seeing a thread on this yet here on the forum, so I thought I'd start one.

I got confirmation from my re-seller that LM has contacted them and I should have my figure candles sometime next week. One of the candles I ordered was a red Santa Muerte figure candle, I will also receive Santa Muerte oil.

Now seen as I am being more rational and not going after that 'straight' work colleague of mine and would like to re-unite with somebody I was dating. We never really fell out, it was one of those 'the right person at the wrong time' scenarios.

Also I have placed an order for a reconciliation honey jar from my re-seller, but what could I use this Santa Muerte candle for? Could I anoint it with her oil and pray for her aid in us re-uniting?

I'm just wondering really, it is the correct color, and I don't mind working alongside my honey jar to strengthen the impact. Also she does aid in loves dream...?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Thank you St. Expedite

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Santa Muerte figure candles.

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:18 am

I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:38 pm

I am aware of the threads posted, however I would like to know more about the figure candle in general. I am imagining one would approach it the same way one would a Adam or Eve candle, burn it in sections, anoint with the appropriate oils. (Including Santa Muerte oil?)

Thanks.
Thank you St. Expedite

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Nov 13, 2011 9:40 pm

Working with a saint requires more than lighting a candle or oil. The efficacy is determined by whether the saint wishes to help you in the work or not. So in all honesty we cannot tell you what would happened if you petitioned Santisma Muerte to reunite you with an ex--she may help or she may not. Approach her and see if she's willing to aid in the matter. Given the charged nature of the question it may be best to get an objective opinion.

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Tue Nov 15, 2011 1:36 pm

Thanks Conjure man, I think St. Joseph would be enough as he wasn't a bad guy & we didn't fall out. It was just that our schedules at the time got too hectic to hold everything down. I might burn it as a devotional prayer light and anoint it with her oil for that, or perhaps keep it to one side and see what time brings.

Thanks again,
Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Sat Dec 03, 2011 2:58 pm

Okay, need some more help with Santa Muerte... Sorry lol.

So I have tried working with Santa Muerte and don't feel an overly strong connection, whilst lighting candles and making offerings of cigarettes I bought a statue of the Saint and set up a small shrine.

However, if one doesn't feel as though a connection was made, what would one do about the shrine made? How should one go about no longer approaching her and removing her image? I never made any lasting promises to her, so there is no problems there.

I'm quite nervous about this.

Thanks,
Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

ShadoWalker

Unread post by ShadoWalker » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:06 pm

Sol nicely written my friend! I have been workin with Santisima Muerte for some time and even though she can be a jealous spirit and doesn't like people working with her and other Saints at the same time I do find she is understanding about things as well. I find that working with her she is like a Grandmother to me and provides me with what I need when I need it without me even having to ask her. I keep a shrine to her and a the moment she sits a little lower than I usually keep her due to the fact that the shelf I used to hang her on can't be hanged up on the wall where I moved to due to it being plaster...lol. I did promice her I will get her a higher place soon. I couldn't find her a good enough shelf and then one day I found what I was looking for. It was high enough where I know she would be happy, but low enough for me to work on and in reach. The cabinet was expensive being $100 and as I was discusiing it I decided to wait and go look else where. As I was walking out I simply asked Santisima Muerte that if she wanted the cabinet then I needed her to work it so I could get it. $100 was a bit more than I was hoping to pay due to a lack of funds. Well no luck else where and I went back to the place and found out that there was a half off sale that they did not tell us about at first so it was taken down to $50 plus my friend I was with had a $40 dollar credit...lol. So all in all I ot it for $10. Now I offered my friend $25 for payment in full since it was his credit and now awaiting to pick it up.

I highly recommend if people have questions of how to work with her they find some type of divination technique to use. I have a set of cowrie shells I use. I used to tend her altar on Tuesdays being her day, but recently since I moved through the shells she changed her mind and now wants me to tend her altar on Fridays now. I usually keep a candle on her altar normally white unless working with specifice workings then I change the color as needed. I keep usually red or white roses or carnations on her altar which I change out when they die, money which I dress with attracting or prosperity oil, a glass of water which I change out daily, food offerings that do not spoil which I change out every three or four days and dispose of outside at a tree by my house, a shot glass of tequilla which I change out once a week and when I change it out and pour new tequila I spray her with some, I also keep sweets on her altar which stay on for a while usually, and I also keep two cigars on there which I change out once a week also. I clean her altar every Friday, cleaning everything, and giving fresh offerings, and saying prayers to her. I put new cigars on her altar once a week laying them at her feet on Friday and then the next day I light the cigars and puff on them and blow the smoke on her and her altar then set the cigars back down at her feet. Please use fire safety doing this. I also keep things on her altar that people who I have helped with Santisima Muertes blessings have given as tokens.

I have also experienced that sometimes during readings she ask for certain things or wants things done a certain way that could pose a hardship to me such as changing out tequila everyday which can get expensive....lol. I simply stated my concern and asked if I could do it just once a week due to money and she gave me a positive answer. She is very understanding. Yes she can be jealous and I ask her if I could work with other Saints and so far I am ok to work with St. Michael, St. Joseph, St Cyprian, and La Madama. I also find that as with all spirits we need to be able to keep some controll at times and not let things get too out of controll wiht how we work with them. If we let things be dictated too much that can be a problem. I don't know if anyone feels this way or not, but will be interesting to find out. Santisisma Muerte is a good Spirit and has always been great. I also work with her every mornin saying morning devotions to her, changing out her water, and lighting incense for her. The prayer I use is as follows which I got from a book I have about her:

Lord in the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit I ask for your permission to invoke the Holy Death my White Daughter (here I personally use grandmother instead of daughter). Santisima Muerte I humbly ask that you break and destroy all spells and darkness that present itself before my persona, in my home, and upon my path. Please relieve me of all envy, poverty, hate, and unemployment and I ask that you grant me _______________. Enlighten with your holy presence my home, my work, and those of my loved ones and fill them with love, health, prosperity, and well being. Blessed and praised be your charity Holy Death. Lord I give you thanks because I see your charity through the tests which are perfecting my spirit, and Lord I give you thanks because through these tests I will have your holy blessings. In the name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit, Amen.

Hope this helps in some way!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:38 pm

This is very good, ShadoWalker. Sol, sometimes spirits require time to fully manifest in our lives. Often you'll draw their attention, but it takes time where they fully enter your life. Know that sometimes this is for the best, you need to get to know them, and they you.

Also some saints, Santisma Muerte being one of them, take a bit longer to get to know.

Nolongerhere

Unread post by Nolongerhere » Sun Dec 04, 2011 1:17 pm

Thanks for the Advice ConjureMan, I will give it some more time... Also a thank you to shadoWalker, I think dedicating one day a week would benefit with consistency & focus etc... As well as give some time when for her to actually 'manifest' something if she is willing to. Once you leave a prayer at the feet of a deity/spirit, perhaps it is best to walk away and not return with the same worries, show faith and maybe one is rewarded for that faith.

Either way, my many thanks, I was worried in case she would get angry and perhaps something would happen...

Sol
Thank you St. Expedite

DreamCatcher

Unread post by DreamCatcher » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:25 pm

I never quite understood Santa Muerte. I respect her but at the same time I feel uneasy around her presence. Its very powerful. I live near Mexico and her image is more common then Virgin Guadalupe these days. Many people work with her for both good and from what I've seen...harm. I've heard of consultations where she informs people that shes jealous and needs attention or something. But to each their own personality just like us humans right? I have been told to work with her but I love my other saints and I don't think I could fully put into the relationship. I just respect her. But seeing what others have said has put into perspective relationships with Santa Muerte. This might not have to do with this topic, but does anyone know about a saint thats pregnant and is half skeleton? I asked the owner and he called her Mata Fertilidad "fertility killer". I steered clear after that because I'm pregnant lol silly I know but I thought maybe shes related to santa muerte.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:37 pm

Rookiebinx,

I understand your view point. The fact that you are respectful of her is good, but if you feel uneasy about her then don't work with her. Not everyone is suited to work with Santisma Muerte and your feelings of cautious respect is very much in line with how Death should be treated by many.

DreamCatcher
Unsure to work with Holy Death

Unread post by DreamCatcher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:23 pm

Twice i've been consulted by two AIRR rootworkers to work with Santisima Muerte on my reconciliation with my baby's father. Im hesitant because of her reputation. I was also told that Saint Martha was not the way to go with this guy because he cant be dominated because if his personality. I am not sure what to do. I cant afford another reading. I feel like shes willing to help me. Shes came in dreams and today as I was driving and thinking about this a car pulled in front of me and had a Santisima Muerte sticker on it. But im just unsure because im afraid to offend her. I respect her power greatly. Any suggestions?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:16 pm

If you've had two readings that indicated she will work with you on this, AND you're also receiving signs like seeing her image - then I would absolutely work with her on this case. Just do so respectfully.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

DreamCatcher

Unread post by DreamCatcher » Tue Jan 03, 2012 6:21 pm

Thanks for your answer. I was considering in hiring a rootworker who specializes with her. Im too novice to do it myself.

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:43 am

Loved this thread!
I forget how Santa Muerte came into my life, but as a NeoPagan I always had a thing for the Darker Goddesses. A statue of Her stayed on my Ancestor Altar, until a house fire resulted in many sacred things being boxed away.
My boyfriend uncovered Her, and though he's not pagan he became enamored of Her. So, she stays in the living room, and he likes to pour Her shots and only he knows what he asks Her for. I was thinking last night as I was planning my next LM order that I should get him some Santa Muerte products, and maybe help him set up a proper altar to Her. By "proper" I mean reflective of who She is and where She comes from in Latino culture.
I can't speak to all the nuances of Hispanic folk culture with Her, but I do know that She is understood by them to be Death Itself, which makes working with Her quite different from, say, calling on a saint or departed loved one, who was once human. That needs to be kept in mind, I think.
Also, on the topic of whether or not She'll work with you; no human I know responds well to a total stranger expecting them to grant favors, so I always try to treat a new spirit-entity I encounter as a potential ally who wants to be known for who they distinctly are, and not as a cosmic sales clerk who has to sell me what I pay for. Relationship goes a long way.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:51 am

Correction!
sorry, I made an innacurate statement above when I said She is understood as "Death Itself" by Hispanic devotees. That is true of a some of them, but not all. In some folk contexts, she is believed to be the vengeful spirit of a women who committed suicide after her husband cheated on her, while others believe her to be "the Virgin Mary as a skeleton." I won't claim to fully understand that last one.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Jan 07, 2012 11:02 am

Well, to the last one, I've heard of her as the Shadow Sister to the Virgin of Guadalupe.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Jan 07, 2012 4:28 pm

The myths and legends about Santisima Muerte are varied, however almost all agree that she is Death. She is called La Muerte in some places. Also bear in mind that despite her historical roots as well as the Catholic Churches rejection of her she is still very much a *Catholic* saint and her trappings and context should always recognize that.

theusurper

Re: Lucky Mojo Santisima Muerte Testimonials

Unread post by theusurper » Tue Jan 17, 2012 6:38 pm

Thank you Santisisma Muerte, is the first time i work with you and you are amizing too. Thank you for the strenght you have give me, i will be your devotee for ever. thank you

DarkMysticFool

Unread post by DarkMysticFool » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:13 pm

Forgive me if this has been covered before. I have just finished burning a novena candle that I dressed. What should I do with it? Bury it at a cemetery? Crossroads?
Thank you Saint Expedite! You truly answer prayers!!!

Praise be to Saint Cyprian of Antioch!!!

AngelicD
HRCC Student
Re: Lucky Mojo Santisima Muerte Testimonials

Unread post by AngelicD » Tue Jan 24, 2012 2:01 pm

I would like to humbly and honorably thank La Santisima Muerte for continuing to work with me and teach me. I am so very appreciative of all your many blessing to my family and I. I will continue to venerate you and honor you Mama.

A-D

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:18 am

Depends entirely on the context of the situation. This is the same for Hoodoo as well as Curanderismo.

winchixdin
Newly Registered

Unread post by winchixdin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:26 pm

I feel my boyfriend's ex gal has cursed me and him. Work for me and him has been difficult to find and I know she was a big believer in Santa Muerte in order to get him back. HELP, We are good people and her reputation precedes her, she has previously dealt strong blows to her former exes, I am a strong believer in Karma, it is a bitch, so hurting her is not in my sights, despite the info I have on her, but I can't go on like this.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:02 pm

The documentary is quite interesting. I have not worked with Santa Muerte, but the information might be useful someday.

winchixdin, karma is a concept from eastern religions, such as Hinduism and Buddhism. It is not part of hoodoo, which originated with African-American Christians. I suggest you get a reading from a worker who works with Santa Muerte to see what your course of action should be.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:55 pm

If you feel like somone has petitioned Santisima Muerte against you then you may call upon Saint Michael or Saint Cyprian to help or you may attempt to appease Holy Death.

janeta_18
Newly Registered

Unread post by janeta_18 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:38 am

this is the first time i work with her.....i asked her to return my ex back we been together for 3 years and it ended bad. i really want to have a good relationship with him i been doing her everyday prayers..its been 4 days last night i texted him and some grl texted me that he was with her now .... i lit a candle and cried my heart to her... any advice.....

lil_tx_grl

Re: Thank you, Santisima Muerte

Unread post by lil_tx_grl » Mon Feb 27, 2012 11:54 am

Thank you Santisima Muerte, you have been working for me and granting my petitions. I thank you for continuing to help me, in all my situations!

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Wed Feb 29, 2012 10:49 am

Hi! What about accessories needed for novena prayer for Santa Muerte (the text can be found on the LM page and many others)? Is it enough to have - at least at the the beginning stage - a normal candle, glass of water and picture of SM?

RobertLG21

Unread post by RobertLG21 » Thu Mar 01, 2012 11:28 pm

Hi nebraska, do you have a small area you can dedicate to Santa Muerte? An altar would be good to have, a window sill, top of a bookshelf, a small table, etc. You'd want some sort of an image to her, a picture works fine. You'll want a candle as an offering, preferably one that's color is related to what you are praying for. An incense burner is helpful, and some incense. LM sells some self-lighting incense, you just need a small heatproof bowl or plate to burn it on. A glass for water libations would be appreciated, and a glass of some sort of alcohol (if you have access). A clean saucer, bowl or plate should be there as well, one you have never eaten from for food offerings, she likes fruit and candies (especially chocolate). Just light the candle once a day, and burn some incense when you perform the novena. Lucky Mojo sells a variety of Santa Muerte products. Oil, novena candle, incense, medals and statues.

nebraska

Unread post by nebraska » Fri Mar 02, 2012 2:52 pm

Dear Robert, thanks you kindly for your answer. Now I have a better idea how to "work" and whow respect to Santa Muerte. Of course the products offered by Mojo can be helpful, but since I live in Europe, it will take much time till it arrives to me, but it's to consider in the future. There are still some issues related to SM that are not clear enough and there are different opinions. 1. Some say she is very jealous and you should't work with other stuff, while working with her. Does it mean no occult practices and rituals should be done in this time? Do you agree? Sometimes you have to wait long time to see if she fulfils your desire or not, it would mean not trying other things for a very long time. 2. Is it good to make a promise to Her, that if she fulfils your desire, you will make something for her or will worship her? 3. I heard she is quite difficult to work with. What does it mean? I would be highly grateful for some comments from those who have experience with Santa Meurte.
Thanks!
L.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Mar 04, 2012 8:35 pm

Its not that she's difficult to work with, but rather you need to know *how* to work with her. In fact she is known for being one of the most reliable spirits and saints if one can get her to work for you and you treat her properly.

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Tue Mar 06, 2012 4:21 pm

ConjureMan Ali wrote:The myths and legends about Santisima Muerte are varied, however almost all agree that she is Death. She is called La Muerte in some places. Also bear in mind that despite her historical roots as well as the Catholic Churches rejection of her she is still very much a *Catholic* saint and her trappings and context should always recognize that.
I need to respectfully disagree here.

First: Saints are spirits and beings that reside in heaven, La Santa Muerte "lives" here on earth with us (no one dies in heaven.) Micheal is an angel, who lives in heaven and thus even though not ever a living person, he's still a saint. Mary was a person, lived, died and ascended to heaven and is a saint.

Second: La Santa Muerte is not Catholic. She's banned by the Catholic church. Her cult is actively suppressed by the Church and a good many of her followers have defected with her for this reason. The Catholic church equates devotion to the Sacred Death with devil worship and they have vandalized her feet (to make them resemble hooves) an insult of which is NOT acceptable.

She is definitely catholic (with a small "c") because the original meaning of the word was "universal" and if there's anything universal, it is death. As the old Irish saying goes "From God's hands into God's arms"

Third: Like the Virgin of Guadalupe, the visage of La Santa Muerte is a true mestiza. That is a mix of cultural influences resulting in an archetype from indigenous local people and non-indigenous Spaniards.

Finally, I would urge anyone that is stepping beyond their cultural heritage to walk lightly and avoid simply accepting what makes sense to you from your own cultural perspective. What may seem to you as an irrefutable fact, and which you might relate as such in all innocence, can actually be a very hurtful misinformation.

Would you say about a friend (who is in the room and can hear) that they are difficult to work with? Would you say that friend gets jealous easily? Would you gossip about them while they were right there? What if you made fun of or were dismissive to people of her same heritage? And would you expect that friend to then help you move or fix your car or give you a job reference when you are so mean to them?

La Santa Muerta is far more patient with us than anyone knows. If you have problems with her it's not her problem, it's yours. If you can approach her with an open and honest heart and filled with devotion, her miracles will change your life. If you cannot then it's likely she'll just ignore you.

lil_tx_grl

Unread post by lil_tx_grl » Tue Mar 06, 2012 5:23 pm

La Santa Muerta is far more patient with us than anyone knows. If you have problems with her it's not her problem, it's yours. If you can approach her with an open and honest heart and filled with devotion, her miracles will change your life. If you cannot then it's likely she'll just ignore you.[quote][/quote]

I must agree with the quote above....Santisima Muerte has been very patient and understanding with me and my situation!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Mar 07, 2012 4:59 pm

Santisima Muerte is absolutely Catholic. Catholic refers to a great deal more than the Catholic church as an institution, but a religious, cultural, and folk perspective. All of her trappings manifest in a Catholic context and will remain so. Anyone who attempts to strip her from her cultural and religious context is doing a disservice both to her and to the people whom she has chosen to come to.

She is prayed through with novenas, rosaries, and even has Mass performed with her. She is a firm fixture of Mexcian Folk Catholicism and the attempts to reinvent her as a pre-Columbian deity or a new age mother goddess is completely out of context with her historical roots. She is not an archetype, she is spirit and saint of a specific religo-cultural matrix. She represents the force of death that has drawn its roots from pre-Columbian indigenous religion and manifested firmly as a folk saint. Whether the Catholic church as an institution rejects her is entirely unimportant. It is the Catholic people who have embraced her and it is they and herself that have firmly put her among the other saints.

She is not called goddess she is called "Santisima" and "Santa." We must respect that.

Furthermore the theological definition of "saint" is quite varied and far more complex than merely a being ascended to heaven. This is evidence in the existence of folk saints like Santisima Muerte, Dr. Jose Hernandez and even in the Archangelic figures of Saint Micheal et al. Instead these beings are more accurately viewed as holding a powerful connection to the heavenly court and retaining human links and therefore are considered the ideal intercessors with the Divine.

Finally and most importantly, ask most devotees of Santisma Murete their religion and they will proudly say "Catholic!" Any attempts to alter her have been revisionist at best and often disconnected with her religious and cultural background.

As a devotee of hers who has honored her in the traditional fashion taught by curanderas/curanderos as well as a scholar of religions I will happily address and correct any attempts at reinventing this wonderful saint.

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:02 pm

This is going to diverge into scholarly pedantry if we're not careful. Keeping that in mind being a goddess/god is not a prerequisite for being an archetype. I never said she was a goddess.

I think on this particular point we might as well be discussing the best way to quarter a hair lengthwise. I don't know where you got the idea that anyone was calling you were ignorant or saying you were reinventing La Santa Muerte.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Mar 08, 2012 3:59 pm

Reread what I wrote, there is no mention of *me* reinventing Santisima Muerte, it clearly states that I am against reiventing her as anything other than a Mexican Catholic Folk Saint--that includes attempting to delineate her to the state of an "archetype" which she is not. Unless you are somehow projecting, I don't see anywhere I assumed that I was being called ignorant. If such had happened I wouldn't have even deigned to respond to such a silly and obviously misinformed opinion. Instead I addressed all attempts at reinenting her as either an archetype, or a goddess.

My response was straightforward, but you seemed to have missed a great deal and assumed perspectives that weren't there.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Thu Mar 08, 2012 5:51 pm

Spirits are real, watering them down to archetypes is no different than stereotyping people. It is limiting and it pigeon-holes them. In my opinion it is a disrespectful way of working with spirits and fankly will limit your insight into them. It is best to let spirits speak for themselves and I have yet to see any spirit step forth and say, "Oh, I'm just a Trickster." Like humans, spirits are complicated with personalities, tastes, and quirks of their own. It never ceases to amaze me how insightful people think it is to treat spirits as nothing more than mental constructs.

In the case of Santisima Muerte she doesn't fit the archetypes at all. Any attmept to make her so is like fitting a square peg in a circular hole. She is not the Trickster, she is not the Hero, she is not the Witch, the Temptress, and so on and so forth. She is deeply complex and it is best to get to know her with her own terms.

Just as it is wise not to approach her from a perspective outside her own cultural context, it is wise to not approach her with the preconceived notion her being an archetype. It will limit you in your interactions and frankly some spirits will find it offensive.

Take the example of Azrael the Angel of Death in Semetic traditions. If like Santisima Muerte they were both the more modern archetype of "death" then they would have points of similarity--that is the point of archetypes the underlying common psychological collective consctruct. Yet beyond both being related to death they couldn't be more different. Azrael is aloof and cold. Santisima Murete can be quite attentive and deeply involved. Azrael is not interested in the affairs of man, but the cosmic concept of the end. Santisima Muerte is deeply interested in life and is called upon for a good death in addition to money, health, blessing, love etc. Azrael cannot be petitioned, pleaded to, or swayed where as Santisima Muerte listens to the prayers of her faithful.

Nor is Santisima Muerte the "mother figure." She is the spirit called upon to bring death to an enemy. We aren't talking about a protective mother called upon to save her children, we are talking about the figure of death stalking an individual. She is called for assassinations. How is this related to the "mother figure?" Which archetype is this, the villian?

Take any archetype and you'll see she isn't any of them. She is entirely something her own. She has her own personality, her own culture, and her own background and cannot be pigeon-holed into any of these consctructs. She shares commonalities with many of the arcetypes and yet cannot be labelled as any. She is a deep and complicated as we are and it best we start meeting her on her terms, not our own.

Academically historians and anthropologists realized the limiting and often ethnocentric attempts to pigeon cultural and religious figures into archetypes and the views made popular by Jacobssen and Frazer are seen as examples of the incorrect way of studying religion. Instead, a new approach has been presented where researchers engage these forces, rather than try to label them.

Spiritually, I have found nothing more limiting than reducing spirits to mere mental constructs.

I conclude with the words of Dona Isabella who has been a curandera for over 50 years and a devotee of Santisima Muerte all her life, "People come to me to learn about Santisima Muerte, but they all already have opinion. They think she's this, they think she's that. They call her fancy things I don't know anything about. They make their mind up before they even meet her. So Santisima Muerte will smile at them and show them just her face never letting them see her heart."

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 12:37 pm

Where did I say that she's not a spirit?

I didn't.

The word "archetype" doesn't mean "fictional" or "mental construct." Santa Muerta, fits several archetypes not just one. Death, however, is a big archetypal transition as well as the universal archetype in personage. If you read Jung's perspective on the Tarot the point would probably be clarified for you that each person (as well as mythological and fictional characters, historical and religious figures, etc) goes through a series of transitions through life meeting (and evolving through) several archetypes.

And going back to the Catholic thing, no, Santa Muerte is not Catholic either-- maybe 15-20 years ago-- but not now, just as Lutherans aren't Catholic and Anglicans aren't Catholic and just as my children aren't me. Her devotions may be of (and as you correctly point out *are* of) Catholic derivation, but Catholic that does not make. As for all the "Catholic trappings" like candles, incense, rosaries, masses, prayers, etc. those things weren't exclusively Catholic and pre-date Christianity in many parts of the world.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:08 pm

I'm sorry but you really couldn't be more wrong. Her followers still consider themselves Catholic, she is still considered a Catholic saint in nearly all parts of Mexico, and to this day every single of her prayers are done with the permission of the Holy Trinity.

People who've tried to re-invent her as no longer being a Catholic saint are divorcing her from her cultural and religious roots. It is no different than those individuals who attempt remove other deities from their pantheons and claim them as their own. People can do whatever they want in their personal practice, but that doesn't make it respectful of tradition.

You can try and make her out to be something she isn't, but it will not change the fact that her tradition remains to this day firmly rooted in Catholic folk magic and that her followers to this day are by and large Catholic. In fact, I would love to see the reaction on the faces of curanderas and curanderos when you tell them that they aren't Catholic and their beloved Holy Death isn't Catholic anymore. It's like saying hoodoo was Christian, but it isn't anymore.

I'm well aware of Jung's perspective and have written several refutations of it. It is also ironic how many cling to Jung thinking that his prespectives connect to spirituality when he actually was deeply inimical towards folk magic of any type. His connection of archetypes to the Tarot is also quite incorrect and does not reflect the history of the Tarot at all which go back to Mamluk playing cards and Medival mystery plays.

The fact that Santisima Muerte or any spirit for that matter cannot fit any single archetype and you have to rely on rather weak concept of evolving through archetypes. I'm sorry spirits do not evolve through archetypes--it seems like an attempt to try to stretch spirits yet again to fit a preconceived notion. They don't evolve through archetypes because they transcend them. Do not mistake complexity of personality with the fascade and masks of archetypes. I dont' know what life you life, but mine certainly has not involved archetypes. I have friends that are none of the archetypes. I surely wouldn't try to pigeon-hole them and I don't do that to my spirits either. Archetypes may be useful as a model for literature analysis, but life is more complicated, spirits are more complicated. It doesn't work and any attempts to make it work involve stretching the theory or pigeon-holing the spirit.

Jung was wrong, Joseph Campbell was wrong.

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 1:40 pm

ConjureMan Ali wrote:Jung was wrong, Joseph Campbell was wrong.
You know what they say; opinions are like belly-buttons. You're entitled to yours but that only makes you an authority on your own belly button.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:29 pm

I have a couple of questions for those who work with Santisima Muerte, just for general knowledge.

1. How willing is she to work with non-Latino people? Non-Catholics?

2. Can she be petitioned for serious health issues, especially those that are life-threatening?

Thank you.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:18 pm

sweetie, I'll let my 4 degrees, two of which focus on the history of religion and specifically folk traditions, decades of experience working with her, and the several thousand interviews I've recorded with her devotees speak for itself and let me be the head belly-button expert. I'll let your opinion leave you as the authority of your own experience and "belly-button." I welcome all to express their opinions but they better be ready to back it up with substance not personal assertions. I prefer informed opinions. Any further disagreements can be presented to me in PM as they are veering off-topic. Any who seek to learn the traditional methods of working with her, or would like to continue this disucussion is urged to take it to PM.

Suffice to say if people want to be actual devotees of this saint and honor her as her people have done for ages, they should respect her as the Catholic folk saint that she is.

Mama Micki, she is actually quite approachable. Despite being transformed into a la raca or chicano pride figure, she is open to all people. And she is absolutely petitioned for serious health issues. She is considered a "performer" saint in that she often comes through with such miracles.

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Fri Mar 09, 2012 6:48 pm

Mama Micki wrote:I have a couple of questions for those who work with Santisima Muerte, just for general knowledge.

1. How willing is she to work with non-Latino people? Non-Catholics?

2. Can she be petitioned for serious health issues, especially those that are life-threatening?

Thank you.
1) If you're willing to approach her honestly and with an open heart Santa Muerta will help you, regardless of race (la raza) or religious orientation.

2) Yes, she's often called on and performs healing miracles.

paintedsmoke24
HRCC Student

Unread post by paintedsmoke24 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:29 pm

ConjureMan Ali wrote:I am not sure anyone thought Jaculatoria was anything related to ejaculation here... but thank you for the information. It would seem really odd to be in the middle of prayer and novena and then interject seminal ejaculation.
well....I did so thanks for clarification...I saw Jaculatoria,I don't speak Spanish ,saw semen in the subject so I was almost convinced it was about that. We all start learning somewhere :)

GoodLuckNatalie

Unread post by GoodLuckNatalie » Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm

I have some lovely Santa Muerte candles, which may be a benefit of living in Texas. I'm fond of her.
Last edited by Mama Micki on Fri Mar 30, 2012 7:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Removed reference to non-Lucky Mojo product
*Pisces Sun, Sag Moon, Gem Rising*
fan of show, CSL member, happy customer, hopeful future student

curiousJ
Newly Registered

Unread post by curiousJ » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:22 pm

Hello everyone. I think I did something AWFUL...

I had bought a seven day candle of Santisima Muerte but after doing some research I realized that I was not doing things properly. I feel terrible not truly researching beforehand.

I had her candle next to another candle, as I am petitioning for some removal of black magic with the aid of St. Michael.

She seems very intense to work with so out of extreme fear and nervousness I snuffed out her candle and left her a cigar outside my window (since I had already lit the candle). I told her with full sincerity of my heart that I was fearful of her and that I would like to part ways with her in peace... I also thanked her as stated for her help for the five minutes I had my candle burning and then I left the cigar outside my window.

After doing so, I had a night time snack and holy moley I saw a spider crawl out of my hot cocoa! I hear it is a symbol of Santisima Muerte. Did I anger her?

I really am trying my best to respect her but I told her that I must also respect my Lwas out of fear that I might be interfering with different sects of magic and religion!

I hope she understands, and that I am not insulting her or giving her false hope, as I do not plan to petition with her. I feel very scared... especially after seeing that little spider! I really do hope she understands and that I am truly sorry for bothering her and wasting her time. :shock:

sweetie

Unread post by sweetie » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:12 am

No reason to fear. If she were angry with you, you wouldn't need to ask anyone on the internet if that was the case-- you'd know. :D

Spiders are scary though so I don't blame you for being freaked out.

DreamCatcher

Unread post by DreamCatcher » Mon Apr 23, 2012 2:15 pm

Im no expert with Santisima Muerte but maybe my experience with her will help. I had 2 Airr workers recommend her assistance in my case. I never would have thought about it if they hadnt recommended the idea. I did my research for months and did get to know her before asking anything from her. Kind of like a "Hi this is who I am these are my intentions". I was afraid of her because I am sensitive to energy and hers is fierce. I was used to the friendlier gentle energy of my guides and Our Blessed Mother whom I am close to.
She gave me many signs that she was interested in helping me. So I started my novena and it was intense. Her energy did not let me sleep. I was considering parting ways also but on the third day I had a beautiful sign in wax my airr worker confirmed as her wanting to show me that I am safe and she wants me to trust her just as I trust Our Blessed Mother.
I do understand that as with any saint or spirit you shld never back out of a promise. If you made a specific promise continue to fufill it as a thank you for paying attention to me but dont expect any thing in return if your heart isn't into it. I also saw a spider the first day of my novena near her altar but I saw it as a sign of her accepting my novena promises. This is entirely my opinion and experience. Just thought maybe it would help you see how she works with different people.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 09, 2012 1:41 pm

I have a quick question; On the bottom of the resin statues of Santisima Muerte that are sold at Lucky Mojo there are beans, pyrite, foil, paper rose, etc, plus a charm. For this charm I have seen, and understand the idea behind it: the cross, the owl, the four leaf clover, etc. I was wondering about the charm that seems to be a man bent slightly, hands in front of him as if praying, with a sack of some sort (or hunched back) on his back. Would anyone kindly share any information on this charm that you happen to have? If it is just a "praying man" charm I am good with that, but thought I would ask the forum before I assumed anything. Thank you all.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

ckolb

Unread post by ckolb » Thu May 10, 2012 12:29 am

I like the skinny girl and, as far as I can tell, she likes me.

I first learned about her through an online friend and I watched several documentaries on youtube and google video. I asked her for understanding and if she would help me with some money and the same afternoon I got some extra money, found a box of green candles, incense and bath oils on the sidewalk and found Santa Muerte 7 day candles at the dollar store. The last part was the weirdest because I certainly would have noticed these candles if they had been there before and they disappeared within a couple days never to have been replaced. She's helped me a few more times since, both for practical and spiritual results.

I have also found her to be very nice and understanding. I made a few things very clear to her and, through divination, she made it clear that it was okay with her. She also lead me to an understanding of her role as death in general and how that pertains to my study of Taoist Internal Alchemy, which strives for immortality; both of these understandings are personal and I would not presume to state them as being objectively "true" ...I'll just consider them to be like my belly button.

I was sad that I couldn't get to the workshops until noon on Sunday, so I missed the Santa Muerte workshop, but I'll be ordering the book "working with Holy Death" along with the handout folder in a week or two.
I am also (very slowly) learning Spanish and have requested two spanish language books on Querita Muerte that I hope to wade through with dictionary firmly in hand.
“Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat.” -Ben Hecht

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Religious Goods and Altar Tools in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure”