• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:35 pm

Secrets of the Psalms

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

Secrets of the Psalms

Unread postby Chris » Sun Mar 29, 2009 9:41 pm

I don't know if most people have this book but, in Secrets of The Psalms, do I say the holy name before the psalm or at the end?

Do I say the words that the holy name is found in, in that exact verse as it says?

Thank You and have a blessed day.
Chris

Re: Secrets of the Psalms

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:24 pm

This is an interesting question to me because i have been told several methods. One reason there are so many methods, i think, is that while hoodoo practitioners have adapted this work from Jewish folk magic, in which the holy names of the Psalms are derived through kabbalistic means, and they have made it their own, few of them would be practicing the work in a traditionally Jewish way.

So, with that being understood, some folks intone or invoke or say the holy name before the Psalm, others, less traditional, have told me to "hold it in mind," and a third method i know is to end the Psalm with, "in the name of [the holy name of the Psalm], Amen" -- but i also know many Americans who use this book as a reference, and who do not say the holy name of the Psalm at all, and simply recite the Psalm in English.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Chris » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:06 pm

Thank you.

Yeah in the book Selig tells us to "hold it in your mind with its letters". I think I know how to do it.

One more thing, I would like to thank u & your staff for preparing my mojo bags & putting yall time for prayer in it.. Im want to become your student but don't kno if im ready yet.
Chris

Powerful Psalms

Unread postby Simpleme » Fri Apr 02, 2010 8:07 pm

Just wanted to know if there are any powerful pslams that can be read if you want to curse someone or while doing a jinxing job?
Simpleme

Re: Powerful Psalms

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 02, 2010 9:03 pm

Simpleme,

The standard book on the Psalms is "Secrets of the Psalms" by Godfrey Selig. We sell it in the Lucky Mojo book department.

Psalms recited while cursing or jinxng someone are called imprecatory Psalms. Here are a few favourites:

Psalm 37 —The Psalmist prays that “the arms of the wicked shall be broken,” “their sword shall enter into their own heart,” and “the wicked shall perish [...] as the fat of lambs, [...] into smoke shall they consume away.”

Psalm 55:15 — “Let death take my enemies by surprise; let them go down alive to the grave.”

Psalm 58:6 —”O God, break the teeth in their mouths.”

Psalm 137:9 — “How blessed will be the one who seizes your infants and dashes them against the rocks!”
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby kittynmoon » Thu May 06, 2010 2:50 am

I just ordered the book myself. Thank you for the question. I did not realize the book was available before.
kittynmoon

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Thu May 06, 2010 7:01 am

If you are serious about conjure you should definitely take the time to slowly browse (either online or at the shop) the book section of the store. It is an incredible collection of vast information.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Secrets of the Psalms Book

Unread postby CHARLY22 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 9:56 pm

Please, I have posted this before, how can I get the Secret of the Psalms the soft copy? I need that book...please can someone help me?
CHARLY22

Re: secret of psalms

Unread postby coyalxauhqui » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

You can order it from the catalogue here: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html It's code is $6.00
BOO-GRI-SOPS and it is about 1/3 of the way down the page.

I just ordered it on Friday!
coyalxauhqui

Re: secret of psalms

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 21, 2011 10:42 pm

Go to

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html

and order BOO-GRI-SOPS Secrets of the Psalms by Godfrey A. Selig %6.00
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Looking for Secrets of the Psalms

Unread postby stephen1964 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:06 pm

HELLO THERE
DOES ANYBODY KNOW WHERE I CAN BUY THE SECRETS OF PSALMS. AS I HAVE BEEN TOLD THAT THIS BOOK IS GREAT.
stephen1964

Re: Looking for Secrets of the Psalms

Unread postby aura » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:09 pm

Hi Stephen,

the book is available by the following link (along with many other gr8 ones) http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html ($6.00 BOO-GRI-SOPS).

That said, please read the forum rules and respect their request NOT to write your entire messages in caps please since netiquette on this forum stipulates this means SCREAMING which is not pleasant for those wishing to help you.

I also encourage you to read the various threads b4 posting since many answers are already available eg: secret-of-psalms-t12278.html ;)

Blessings and best of luck in your work :)
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism
Forum Moderator

Topic variance in Secrets of the Psalms Book

Unread postby BewitchingBelle » Sat Jan 26, 2013 6:30 am

There are a one area of this book where the psalms are assigned to different ailments a d remedies than other resources.

Psalm 37 is one of the Hoodoo and standards for stop gossip, anti evil doers remedies. In "Secrets of the Psalms" it is noted as a remedy for someone that drinks too much. This stood out because I use this psalm quite a bit.

Are there any more examples of this? To date, this is the only example I have noticed.

Any feedback on this??
BewitchingBelle

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Dec 30, 2013 8:32 pm

BewitchingBelle --

African American folk magic practitioners have incorporated portions of Jewish kabbalistic folk magic within hoodoo, of which "Secrets of the Psalms" is a prime example. But hoodoo practitioners have also developed their own ways of working with the Psalms, which have been transmitted through family lineages and during conversations in candle shops — and some of these methods differ from classical Jewish usage of the Psalms. The variant prescriptions you noted for Psalms 37 are a good case in point.

To understand this better, perhaps an analogy might help: The trumpet is a European brass instrument, developed for use in marching bands and large orchestras. African American ways of using the trumpet in the performance of jazz are in many ways different from the classical European techniques employed with this instrument. However, it is still correct to say that African American jazz trumpeters obtained the trumpet as an instrument from European and European-American sources. And thus it is with the Jewish Psalms; upon receiving the material, in English translation from originally Hebrew sources, African American pracitioners adapted the work to their own interests, styles, and requirements.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo