Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Shelf-Life of Natural Oils and How Best to Store Your Oils

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo conjure oils and ritual oils in magic spells, and which oils are best for your purposes.
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: Storing supplies

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:49 pm

I would recommend getting a 3 drawer storage, they have wheels you can put on them so you can move them around. They are made in all different kinds of shapes, sizes, colors, and some come with compartment organizers. I love these things, and I have 3 of them. I like them because I can fix and prepare candles. They are made of plastic so I wouldnt recommend burning a candle on them though. ;)

Here's a picture of what I am talking about:http://i212.photobucket.com/albums/cc311/pinkstarrz_22/Smoke%20Damage/Storage/3DrawerStorageTote.jpg

As for the labels, I would recommend getting Cat's book " Hoodoo herb and root magic. Everything that is on the label she talks about, and expands it it too. Its a great investment.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:01 pm

Oh I have the book (invested in the hardcover because I know how I get with books I use a lot!), but the labels are handy when looking through my herb box and pulling things out :)

And I was talking more about a wood cabinet or dresser. I have plenty of those plastic things, which I don't really care for and am in the process of phasing out of my house. :) Besides, it gives me a good reason to get something for the bare half of the spare bedroom and a good reason to get rid of my soon-to-be-ex husband's idea of dorm/frat/bachelor sailor 'cool' furniture! ;-)
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:13 pm

Oh yeah definitely keep the labels so you know what they are. They do start to look alike sometimes. The part about the 3 drawers wasnt addressed to you personally, I was just sharing. But I agree a cabinet is way nicer!

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:25 pm

Ah okay ;-) Nothing against those plastic units, I just hate them and still have to use the as some of my dressers. All my decent furniture was trashed pre-marriage in a storage unit, and when the jerk and I got married, I gave up the very good job that would have bought us all new stuff. And he's lame enough to actually like them because he can see what's in each one >.< So yeah, looking forward to getting rid of all of his influence and energy around here! :D
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

Silverpony

Lucky Mojo's oils still fresh-new smelling after 4+ years

Unread post by Silverpony » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:27 pm

I have had quite a bit of stuff in storage in Southern California for the last four years. Among that stuff is a goodly amount of merchandise I'd bought from Lucky Mojo between 6 to 4 years ago or thereabouts. I expected to need to throw away most of it; after all, it's been a number of years, right? Nearly all the candles that had been in storage were melted and useless, so I figured after exposure to that much heat the oils had to be rancid, too.

Imagine my surprise when EVERY SINGLE OIL still smelled and looked as fresh and sweet as if it were new, even the half-used-up bottle of Van Van. I'm talking perhaps 8 bottles; among them were Jesus Malverde, one with a lucky Buddha on the label, Firey Wall of Protection, and Road Opener (don't remember the rest offhand.)

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Lucky Mojo's oils still fresh-new smelling after 4+ years

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Jul 14, 2010 1:55 pm

good news!
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

MightyScorpio

Re: Lucky Mojo's oils still fresh-new smelling after 4+ years

Unread post by MightyScorpio » Wed Jul 14, 2010 10:19 pm

Wow thats wonderful! :P

sacredspiritualguide

Unread post by sacredspiritualguide » Mon Jul 19, 2010 9:02 pm

Hi All,

Wow! I love all of the ideas on here. I love learning about the way others practice as it enriches my own growth.

Personally, I also battled with this very question myself. As my collection of items grew, I had to come up with a discreet and special place to keep them. I decided to buy a series of wood boxes and paint them according to how each inspired me. Soon, I had a home for everything!

If you are looking to fill up part of a spare bedroom, I would think about buying a used dresser (one that you are drawn too), thoroughly cleansing it of all negative energy, and infusing it with your great energy instilling it with blessings, luck, love and success with each stroke of paint, ect, that you use to decorate it... Walla! Your own perfect storage solution/decoration/alter... All in one!

I hope you find the perfect solution for you!

Tishee

Re: Transferring hoodoo oils into another bottle?

Unread post by Tishee » Sat Oct 02, 2010 9:18 am

Thanks Devi :)

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Oct 02, 2010 1:56 pm

You can remove the herbs from the bottle with tweezers or a pin and use them in a mojo bag or to dress a candle.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

butchcomer

Unread post by butchcomer » Mon Oct 04, 2010 12:28 pm

Great idea, Mama Micki! I love the idea of using the left over herbs as a candle dressing. What a neat way to get a little extra!

cherish

LM Oil & Weather

Unread post by cherish » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:41 am

Hello all! I received a few bottles of LM Attraction Oil yesterday. I reside in the north where the weather is cold. I wasn't @ home when the oils arrived so they were outside for quite a while. Would this effect the strength of the oil? Also, what is the recommended room temperature to store oils?

Thanks!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: LM Oil & Weather

Unread post by Devi Spring » Wed Nov 24, 2010 12:40 pm

The oils are very stable. Cold won't have negatively effected them, and any reasonable room temperature is fine for storage. Just avoid excessive heat. I've had some LM oils for 4 or 5 years now and the still smell and work fine.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu Nov 25, 2010 5:03 am

Also, make sure you keep your oils in a dark place as heat from the sun can turn them rancid more quickly.
good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Nov 26, 2010 12:10 am

Both jwmclin and Miss Bri are right -- cold weather may thicken the oils a bit but they will warm up fine -- however sunlight is bad for them. A dark cupboard is best. In other words, don't set them on your window sills to "catch the light."
catherine yronwode

BellaMars
Shelf-Life of Natural Oils

Unread post by BellaMars » Mon Apr 18, 2011 7:21 am

I was going through boxes I have in storage and found 3 LM oils and a sachet powder that I bought 7 years ago. Are they still good to use?
Thank you St Anthony & St Martha for your help during my time of need
Thank you St Dymphna for helping on my behalf
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Shelf-Life of Natural Oils and How Best to Store Your Oils

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Apr 18, 2011 8:06 am

7 years is a lot - but go by the smell. Do they smell ok, or do they smell rancid or otherwise "off". Essential oils do have a limited shelf life, though LM does their best to extend that life through proper mixing technique. I have some oils that were fine until around the 5-6 year point, and then they started to smell a bit "off", and so I had to get rid of them. But until then they were fine.

So, use your sniffer!

BellaMars
Re: Do LM get more potent with age or go bad?

Unread post by BellaMars » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:56 am

They smell the same actually. I have new ones of the same oils and actually the sachet too that I bought about a month ago. Dont smell rancid at all, still very pretty and floral. Do you think they are still good to use? Maybe I can just use them in baths or to dress candles? Will they still work or is there an expiration date for them to be used for the purposes they were made for?

DelArca

Unread post by DelArca » Mon Apr 18, 2011 3:11 pm

I would go with the above advice-- if they smell fine and look fine then they should be fine. :)

BellaMars

Unread post by BellaMars » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:48 pm

Thanks guys, just wanted to make sure!

tenorio

Where do you keep your oils?

Unread post by tenorio » Fri Jun 17, 2011 7:44 am

I'm amassing quite the collection of different oils in 1/2oz containers. What's the best way to store these? Just loose in a drawer? Under my alter? In some type of specially designed box/container? Thoughts?

Also, is it OK if I store oils like Van-Van alongside oils like Revenge?

I know this is a beginner question, so thanks for your patience.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
Re: Where do you keep your oils?

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:17 am

My wife and I use an old type-setting drawer that perfectly holds the bottles. We used to store them in our altar room, but have recently moved them to our "workshop".

Some workers store Revenge type oils and supplies by themselves and some just mix them in with the rest. Depends on how YOU feel about such things.

I feel like the oils should be taken care of which is why I sought out a great holding area for them to live in!

You can certainly have appropriate oils sit on their matching altars, too! I have seen this done.

Good luck!
-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:28 am

...and this has been queried before in the forum. I cant seem to locate it but anyway, I keep my oils organized according to intent. Saints oils are kept at their altars which are conveniently located near bureau drawers.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Jun 17, 2011 11:41 am

I keep my oils, incenses, herbs, and candles in small plastic bins.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

chengliu

Unread post by chengliu » Fri Jun 17, 2011 6:00 pm

You can certainly have appropriate oils sit on their matching altars, too! I have seen this done.

DrXTheRebirth

Unread post by DrXTheRebirth » Fri Jun 17, 2011 8:27 pm

I used to keep my in my drawer before I bought a plastic bin but all the ways stated work equally as well.
Thank you St. Anthony, Ancestors and Expedite.

Miss Ida Lundin

Unread post by Miss Ida Lundin » Thu Jun 23, 2011 12:05 am

I prefer to keep them out of direct sunlight, that way it takes even longer before they go rancid.
Some of mine are kept on altars, most are stored on a dark placed shelf.

Thassa

Unread post by Thassa » Sun Jun 26, 2011 9:46 am

I keep all of my supplies in a big old wooden sewing box. It opens out to 3 sections on both sides plus a generous space at the bottom. I have my oils in one section, my sachet powders in another and so on. Its a handy case because it has a handle on top and I can carry it wherever I want to do my work.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jun 26, 2011 1:21 pm

Thassa wrote:I keep all of my supplies in a big old wooden sewing box. It opens out to 3 sections on both sides plus a generous space at the bottom. I have my oils in one section, my sachet powders in another and so on. Its a handy case because it has a handle on top and I can carry it wherever I want to do my work.

That is a great idea! Beautiful! Thank you for sharing that with us!

-Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson

Thassa

Unread post by Thassa » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:11 am

You are welcome! There is one almost identical to it listed on ebay. I just about had a heart attack when I saw the going price!

theusurper

Unread post by theusurper » Mon Jun 27, 2011 5:25 am

i have many pretty boxes for my oils, herbs, incenses and my tools for work. i keep my oils by alphabetical order for every intention.

Conjuremoon

Unread post by Conjuremoon » Tue Jun 28, 2011 4:32 pm

I went to A.C. Moore craft supply store and got for $20 a really nice, little cabinet. I painted it. It is only for my Lucky Mojo oils and some Tarot deck under it. I got the cabinet, then I purchased a gold snuffer from LM, a censor, like 20 LM oils, their charcoal, incense, and some of their figure candles for good measure, in a bind. It is like a LM first aid kit! haha. You can even purchase from LM the pictures of Holy Cards of the Saints if you have a Saint you pray to often and glue it on (decoupage). Yes , LM first aid kit

1. Oils
2. Snuffer
3. Censor for burning their incense
4. Charcoal
5. LM herbs
6. Figure candles

and oh....yes....Special #20 oil. That was my first purchase Special 20 & Cat's book. Loved it.

theredc6

Unread post by theredc6 » Wed Jun 29, 2011 9:18 pm

My husband built a cabinet for me to keep all of my herbs, oils and powders. I use a separate box I bought at a dollar store for things like hotfoot, destruction, graveyard dirt, etc. My pungent herbs (read stinky) are kept in jars away from places where people spend a lot of time.

thewarning

Shelf-Life of Natural Oils

Unread post by thewarning » Fri Jul 22, 2011 10:30 am

I purchased a Lucky Mojo Reconciliation spell kit from a local shop that carry's many of LM products. I'm looking at the oil and noticed unlike the pink colored oil show on the website it is a very light yellow color, almost clear. The shop I purchased it was pretty hot so I wonder if that had any affect... I can see 1 balm of gilead bud inside along with some very fine herbs I can't identify. Is this oil still good? Should I add some dye to it?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Shelf-Life of Natural Oils

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:23 am

It is light, not heat, that causes the oil dyes to fade. If the oil still smells good -- that is, not rancid, like cooking oil that has gone bad -- it is okay. You don;t need to dye it -- i used to never dye my oils when i made them, but folks asked for them to be coloured, so i started the practice of dyeing them around 1996. Lucky Mojo products are made with natural ingredients, not synthetics, so they do have a shelf-life, but many people (myself included) have found that if they are stored properly, they will remain good and useful for 4 - 5 years.
catherine yronwode

thewarning

Unread post by thewarning » Fri Jul 22, 2011 3:47 pm

It doesn't have a rancid smell. I was expecting maybe a more floral smell like your other love oils. But this is much more earthy (if that's how its suppose to smell like).

Hazelkitten15

Shelf-life of spell supplies

Unread post by Hazelkitten15 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 5:13 pm

Hi,

I'm new to this forum. I've purchased a collection of oils, herbs, bath salts, and incenses from Lucky Mojo almost a year ago. They are still in the foil/bottles they came in, unopened. I've kept them in the refrigerator during the summer months. I haven't cast the spell I was intending to do because I'm always busy with stuff. I want to cast a steady work spell now and needed to know if the products I have are expired both naturally and magically.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Shelf-life of spell supplies

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Sep 27, 2011 6:22 pm

Shelf life of packaged herbs (shelf-life-of-packaged-herbs-t3909s150.html)
Shelf life of natural oils and how to best store oils (shelf-life-of-natural-oils-and-how-best ... tml#p77267)
Shelf life of oils and powders (shelf-life-of-oils-and-powders-t457s90.html)

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Sep 27, 2011 7:12 pm

I think you are fine to use something from a year ago.The bath salts, and oils are fine to use. The incense definitely do not expire either.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Sep 28, 2011 10:30 am

Thank you for those links jwmcclin! Even I like to re-read those from time to time.
Joseph Magnuson

Yoseph
Shelf-Life of Natural Oils and How Best to Store Your Oils

Unread post by Yoseph » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:06 am

Hello !!!
Can anyone tell me what is the predicted shelf like of theses conjure/mojo products we so much love and use?
my question comes from cooking, I learned that after awhile cooking oil goes rancid and must be discarded.
Is that the same for Mojo Oils ? - and what about Roots/Herbs - Sachets etc etc?
Right now I'm using a cool, dark place in a cubbart for my products. I feel satisfied for the moment with that !
How about You _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _? Tips, Clues, Ideas welcomed.

Yoseph
Shelf Life of Mojo Products

Unread post by Yoseph » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:50 pm

Are Lucky Mojo Products like cooking oil, after a while it goes rancid if not used,& has to be thrown out.
Does anyone know the predicted shelf life of the oils,powders,& roots/herbs ?
At the moment I have everything in a cool dark cupboard I found for them!

L

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Shelf Life of Mojo Products

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:53 pm

Your products will be fine. The herbs are dried. I believe the oils have a natural preservative added, such as vitamin E. Most customers report that the oils are still good even after several years.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jan 29, 2012 2:42 pm

I still have oils/sachet powders/baths from 3-4 years ago that are going strong. Keep them in a safe place away from direct sun or extreme heat and they should be fine for a long time!
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 31, 2012 8:17 pm

This thread contains a lot of information -- basically, high temperatures and exposure to sunlight are as much -- or more -- of an issue than time.
catherine yronwode

Yoseph

Unread post by Yoseph » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:17 pm

Hello Everyone !!
Thanks for your replies re: storage, thats how Ive Been doing it from the start.
( Cool , dark , cubbard & out if lighted area ).

I did see some concerns about mixing supplies, & for that I say, Until you pull it from the shelf and put it on the Altar & Activate it, Its all Inert. No need to get overtaken by Imaginations. ( keep them bagged & bottled & you'll do Fine !)

Yoseph

Unread post by Yoseph » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:22 pm

Hello Everyone !!
Thanks for your replies re: storage, thats how Ive Been doing it from the start.
( Cool , dark , cubbard & out if lighted area ).

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Feb 07, 2012 1:51 pm

Actually all Lucky Mojo condition products are prayed over as they are made, so they're not "inert". But that being said, you don't have to get overly obsessive over storage.

Yoseph

Unread post by Yoseph » Tue Feb 07, 2012 2:22 pm

Thank You Devi Spring. I will remember that.

RhiannonWyt

Unread post by RhiannonWyt » Thu Mar 29, 2012 8:37 am

Thanks Mama Micki for the idea of re-using or "further-using" the herbs in the bottles! For the sake of the environment does LM ever take the bottles back? I like to re-purpose things when I can or recycle them.
Rhiannon Wyt
Thank you St. Martha for helping me and granting my petition!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:38 am

This thread is being merged with the "Shelf Life of Oils" thread for obvious reasons.

We generally hear from folks that they do not want amber or blue bottles on our oils because they like looking at the herbs and roots in the bottles (the so-called "aquarium effect").

We do make 4 oz. Rootworkers Specials bottles in any single oil or blend of oils (up to four in a blend) that you wish. and they come in a clear glass bottle. However, we also sell 4 oz. cobalt blue bottles. If the price is the same (i am not in the shop and have no time to look it up), you could request that your Rootworker Specials be made in cobalt blue bottles.

You can read more about 4 oz. specials here:
lucky-mojo-4-oz-rootworker%CA%B9s-speci ... t8466.html
catherine yronwode

euphemia

Unread post by euphemia » Sat Jun 09, 2012 10:31 pm

I have a question...

I've used up a decent amount of my Fiery Wall of Protection oil (another is on its way to me), but I know there is still quite a bit of usable liquid in there. It's just now harder to extract because I suspect the herbs are inadvertently blocking easier passage of the oil through the little opening, or maybe something like that. In any case, the end result is that I often shake it up often to get a tiny dab on my finger.

Is it possible to add a little bit of carrier oil to make it a bit easier for me to get the liquid out? Or...is there some other method I should/could use?

Zola Kathryn
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Zola Kathryn » Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:21 am

That sounds like a good idea to me, Euphemia! Although you might have to do a little bit of bottle-shaking or letting the bottle sit in order for the carrier oil to mix effectively w/ the Fiery Wall of Protection oil.
In Service,
Miz Zola
HRCC Graduate #1176G

euphemia

Unread post by euphemia » Wed Jun 13, 2012 11:30 pm

zolakathryn wrote:That sounds like a good idea to me, Euphemia! Although you might have to do a little bit of bottle-shaking or letting the bottle sit in order for the carrier oil to mix effectively w/ the Fiery Wall of Protection oil.
I have some jojoba oil I can add; I also have olive oil in a pinch. Thanks for the tip!

Doraemon

Expiration Date?

Unread post by Doraemon » Tue Jul 24, 2012 5:35 pm

Hello I'm new here,

so forgive me if this is not the right forum to ask this question.

I understand everything is freshly made at LM.
my question is
I ordered several things from LM. HOWEVER, if I decide not to use certain spell kit(Cut & Clear) that I ordered from LM right away. Let's say, I'll use it in a few months/a year from now.

Will the herbs/ingredients/etc be as effective and still usable? This question also goes for all the other oils/sachet powders that I ordered from LM. Do I have to use all of them at the same time or can I use just when I need it?

Thanks.

Psychic Mimi
Re: Expiration Date?

Unread post by Psychic Mimi » Tue Jul 24, 2012 6:59 pm

As long as you keep them in a cool, dark place nicely sealed, the oils should last for a couple of years. If you run a search on expiration date, you'll find some people commented they have had the oils for even longer than that, and they still find the oils to be potent.

I can't imagine buying a spell kit and not busting it out of the packaging the moment the mailman knocks on my door, but if you must store them, keep them away from sunlight, little hands, waggly tails, and dust bunnies. I don't know that the spell kits expire per se, but you'd figure the fresher the item, the stronger it is.

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Tue Jul 24, 2012 7:01 pm

If I remember correctly, Miss Cat has mentioned that she does put vitamin E in with the oils. That helps make them last longer, but of course as Psychic Mimi has mentioned, keep them in a cool dark place nicely sealed. :-)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Jul 25, 2012 11:09 am

Yes, if they are well stored they will last 2-3 years no problem.
Joseph Magnuson

Cheryl

Unread post by Cheryl » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 pm

I am reading all the comments and replies...I have limited space. In addition, I do not like to keep things in the open. I have a wooden dresser cabinet that stands upright. It was under $100.00. There are several drawers for candles of sizes, shapes, and colors, droppers, misc. items. such as poppets blah, blah, blah. I have a wooden box with small glass containers with herbs over 100 of them. to the left. Now, mind you the top of box is flat. I stack another wooden box for oils...in this box there is sections. Oils types. The top of box is flat and inside is lined for spills. Last box...for powders. There is sections for powder types with containers. Everything is neat in area. The top of main wooden dresser cabinet is altar. At times, I need more space for extra work. In this room is a double wide book shelf. I have collected materials since I was a teen. Guess, I am dating myself. I also, I many stones and crystals throughout the room. Note: plastic tends to bend, melt, and smear awfully bad with oils. For myself it wears out badly. Oh, I do have protections on my boxes with locks. When I was younger...living with roommate in apartment was not a great experience. I am a private person.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:07 pm

Thank you for sharing, Cheryl. Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum.
Joseph Magnuson

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Anointing and Dressing Oils in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”