Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Shelf-Life of Natural Oils and How Best to Store Your Oils

How to use Lucky Mojo conjure oils and ritual oils in magic spells, and which oils are best for your purposes.
Arckangel

Unread post by Arckangel » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:11 am

Many authorities say synthetic fragrance oils cut with mineral oil are terrible, sometimes hazardous to people's health, not too good for magick etc.

Others swear synthetics frangrances in mineral oil are almost as good or just as good as natural essential oils in an almond oil base and do have magickal properties. The benefit of synthetics in mineral oil, they say, is that they keep indefinitely.

Would you use synthetics in mineral oil in your work? Would you apply them on yourself? How stable are Lucky Mojo oils if they are natural oils?

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Shelf-Life of Natural Oils and How Best to Store Your Oils

Unread post by Miss Bri » Wed Mar 04, 2009 10:25 am

Hi Arckangel,

There is a lot that could be said in response to this post, but I am going to keep it short and sweet.

This is a forum designed to answer questions about Lucky Mojo Curio products and general questions about hoodoo. We are sponsored by the Lucky Mojo Curio shop, and while everyone is welcome, the folks you will see posting use Lucky Mojo Curio products. For those reasons, along with the fact that I don't have an example of one of the oils you are talking about in front of me to smell and feel I cannot answer your question about the specific quality of those particular synthetic oils.

What I can tell you is that in Conjure practice the roots, herbs, minerals, and curios are regarded to have particular powers specific to their plant or animal class, family, and species. There are a few things that are interchangeable (like sweeteners) and many things that will share some properties with other items (you can use cinnamon chips and five finger grass in money drawing work for instance) but each individual plant, root, animal, or curio has their own specific set of qualities and characteristics and cannot be fully substituted by something else. Different traditions have different outlooks on the issue of substitution, but in my experience with conjure, we are kind of literalists.

I can also tell you that while in some cases a synthetic is your only option to get a scent, whenever you can choose between the synthetic and the natural, go with the natural. Lucky Mojo oils are chock full of roots, herbs, and curios that you can actually see in the bottle. There is just nothing like them on the market except for them. I buy and use Lucky Mojo oils because I don't have to worry about whether they are authentic and whether there are bad toxic chemicals in them that I am exposing myself to every time I use them. I have been to the store, I have watched them get made, and I know that you can trust the product, you are getting exactly what you want and what you are paying for--no shortcuts, no cheap tricks. You may find their complete list of oils here:
http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatoils.html#hoodoo
And I am pretty sure that they ship to Canada :-)

good luck to you,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

yooster976

Shelf-life of spell supplies

Unread post by yooster976 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 2:07 pm

Hi everybody

Love the forum.
I would be interested to know how long we can keep the oils and powders
from Lucky Mojo for them to still be affective opened and unopened, is there
a recommended time for all Rootworkers to restock their suplies or can they be used for years
before they start to loose their strength and quality. Would someone advise me please.

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Re: Shelf Life of Oils and Powders

Unread post by Literarylioness » Wed Mar 11, 2009 3:36 pm

yooster971 wrote:Hi everybody

Love the forum.
I would be interested to know how long we can keep the oils and powders
from Lucky Mojo for them to still be affective opened and unopened, is there
a recommended time for all Rootworkers to restock their suplies or can they be used for years
before they start to loose their strength and quality. Would someone advise me please.
Oils and powders have a pretty long shelf life, especially unopened. Oils can go rancid though, but oils are put on everything so much that is pretty hard to do. I have never had an oil go rancid on me, because I put them on everything!

You can sniff an oil to see if it is rancid and just like cooking oil it will have that rancid smell.

Mary

yooster976

Unread post by yooster976 » Wed Mar 11, 2009 4:06 pm

Thank you Mary
I am new to actualy practicing Hoodoo although I
have been reading about the subject for some time now on
the Lucky Mojo site and through various books that I have found.
I have just started to use the Lucky Mojo products through an ebay
site and I didnt want to go mad buying products, that I dont need
just yet if they had a short shelf life.
Thanks again for your reply.
Brian

J Simulcik
HRCC Student

Unread post by J Simulcik » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:05 am

Brian-

When you're new to rootwork, you can order a few generic items at first, and then start buying what you need as situations come up. It won't be long before you have quite the collection of 'leftovers' and will just need to get major components and replacements for the things you use up. Once you're familiar with the products, the Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course is a good next step in a worker's education.

Good luck!
HRCC Student #1339

EcleckticMama

Unread post by EcleckticMama » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:03 pm

For your leftovers, vitamin E oil is a natural preservative for oils. (It's the ingredient tocopherol you may see listed on many cosmetic products containing oil.) You can squeeze a vitamin E capsule into your bottle of leftover oil to extend its shelf life. Also as general (un)common sense, keep oils in a cool dark storage place (especially if you aren't going to be using any regularly).

James2

Unread post by James2 » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 pm

Well this post is a bit of self-promotion for my upcoming Lucky Mojo classes on perfumes at the big Forestville pow-wow on May 9th and 10th, 2009... but the question of whether synthetics are "bad" is a frequent one, and important to ponder.

Many of the people who swear they only use "natural" perfumes actually do not know that what they are purchasing (often at a health-food chain store) has often been adulterated with synthetics, often very skillfully so that only a costly chemical analysis, something that would cost thousands of dollars, would reveal. And then there are extremely traditional magickal practices, like Peruvian shamanism, where the shamans go out into the forest to collect herbs which they then mix up with cheap synthetic colognes. They do not seem to be troubled by the good/bad labelling of synthetic versus "natural." Certainly many of the old hoodoo formulas from the 1920' and 30's used synthetics (jasmine for instance) with great results.

As a general rule of thumb, most florals with the exception of lavender and ylang-ylang are so expensive that they are universally made of synthetics, though the better ones have some natural oils compounded in. All the animal ingredients (musk, civet, ambergris) are synthetic. Except for citrus, most all fruits are synthetic (strawberry, cherry, pineapple are all fantasy blends that are not based on anything natural). Common woods like cedar and pine are generally real. Rare woods like sandalwood are not. The resins, like frankincense and myrrh are frequently adulterated.

As noted above, it is helpful to have a savvy source that can realistically tell you if what they have is entirely natural, a mix, or doubtful.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Mineral Oil and Hoodoo

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Apr 21, 2009 7:29 pm

I was told that mineral oil is used for Crossing. What is mineral oil's function in hoodoo?
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Mineral Oil and Hoodoo

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Apr 21, 2009 8:42 pm

Mineral oil is a carrier oil, like Almond oil, Olive oil, and others. It is used in many traditional conjure recipes to dilute or "carry" essential oils and fragrance oils, and for various symbolic and practical reasons. Among other things, it is a laxative, and it is also purely mineral, with no herbal basis. Both of these qualities are employed symbolically by folks such as myself who craft ritual oils.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

chayanna

Unread post by chayanna » Mon May 04, 2009 6:52 am

Goodmorning.....
Not sure if this is the right place for my question but hopefully if its not, I will still get my answer and btw LOVE !!!! the products ...well worth the wait :)

My question is....with the powders ...I was wondering if I could transfer them to a small bowl so that it makes it easier for me to "pinch" at the powder....I don't know if by transfering the powder from its original packet will cause it to become un-effective ?

Thanks much and thanks to all the wonderful people who "work" on these goodies for those of us who need them :)

Much blessings to all

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon May 04, 2009 10:40 pm

You can store the powders in bowls or tightly sealed jars -- no problem. We package and ship in foils to save shipping weight and packing costs.

We pre-add Viamin E to our oils to extend shelf life. Adding more Vitamin E will not hurt, however.
catherine yronwode

wylde

Re: Mineral Oil and Hoodoo

Unread post by wylde » Mon Jun 01, 2009 6:42 pm

Mineral oil has a much lower heating temperature than other types of oil, be careful you dont injure yourself or damage things. It is not suitable for use (heated) with plastics for instance, and personally I wouldn't attempt to microwave it.On the stove top its past boiling much faster than say cooking oil would be ready to fry things, but it doesnt "boil" or it never did for me, but then i was watching it and always cut it off.

It has a longer shelf life in my experience than say almond oil, etc. Meaning it doesnt turn rancid smelling as quickly.

supper

Expired Oils and Herbs

Unread post by supper » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:10 pm

Hello

Hope all is enjoying the summer. I have been wondering how long do
oils and herbs last before they expired? I am sorta aware that the herbs
are good up to 6 to 7 months as far as the oils how long?

Thank you for your time,
supper

LeBaptiste

Re: Expired Oils and Herbs

Unread post by LeBaptiste » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:46 pm

You can usually tell from the look and smell of the herb. If it's lost its smell, smells bad or shows visible signs of decay, it's a safe bet that you should replace them with fresh oils. You can add vitamin E to your oil to help preserve them and get a little more life out of them.

supper

Unread post by supper » Thu Jul 30, 2009 6:49 pm

So good to know!!
Thank you so much!!!!

Thank Goodness to you,
supper

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jul 30, 2009 7:29 pm

Lucky Mojo oils are already made with Vitamin E in them. Store all oils in a cool, dry place out of direct sun. Some will last longer than others. factors that play into this are (1) storage conditions at your end, (2) how the herbs in the mix interact with the oil, (3) what kind of oil is used.
catherine yronwode

Harlow
HRCC Student

Unread post by Harlow » Fri Jul 31, 2009 11:50 am

I have some LM attraction oil I purchased 2+ years ago and I swear its as fresh as the day I got it in the mail.

silverpony
HRCC Student

Unread post by silverpony » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:46 pm

Harlow wrote:I have some LM attraction oil I purchased 2+ years ago and I swear its as fresh as the day I got it in the mail.
I have some LM Blessing and some Lucky 13 oil that are similarly around two years old, and smell, look, feel, and work just as fine as if they were freshly made yesterday.

LeBaptiste

Unread post by LeBaptiste » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:49 pm

True to the above posters. That stuff lasts a really long time and stays fresher than anything else I've seen.

blackforrest

Unread post by blackforrest » Thu Aug 13, 2009 3:34 am

hi.

for the hoodoo oils from lucky mojo. how long is the shelf life?

if i buy in bulk or buy alot for back up and to be sent overseas, how long can they be kept?

and regarding the herbs and oils. is it advisable not to keep them in the bed room? example, in a box underneath the bed.

Lukianos
Forum Moderator

Re: Shelf life of Oils and storage

Unread post by Lukianos » Sun Aug 16, 2009 12:33 pm

Hi blackforrest,
blackforrest wrote: for the hoodoo oils from lucky mojo. how long is the shelf life?
if i buy in bulk or buy alot for back up and to be sent overseas, how long can they be kept?
and regarding the herbs and oils. is it advisable not to keep them in the bed room? example, in a box underneath the bed.
Hoodoo oils should be fine for at least a year if kept in a cool place away from direct light. Under the bed in a box should be fine if the bedroom is not too warm.
Peace be with you,
Lukianos

silverpony
HRCC Student

Unread post by silverpony » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:37 pm

I wanna toss my two cents in: I live in the tropics, in Hawai'i, and I have 2-year-old bottles of LM oils that smell as fresh and fragrant and are as effective as if they were newly made. (Specifically, Blessing and Lucky 13)

blackforrest

Unread post by blackforrest » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:16 pm

hmm...

then it goes to say maybe stocking up on herbs and powder would be much safer huh. but i have already ordered more than 36 bottles of oil heehee....
i stay really far far away
so i hope putting it in the fridge would help. and i think i heard something about those hexing oil. the nastier and better it is if its in worse condition right.
dont ever need to worry bout it going foul

chayanna

Unread post by chayanna » Fri Sep 11, 2009 5:48 pm

just a thought would you suggest storing the oils in the fridge? i keep all my oils in the coolest room in darkened boxes but still at times the house does get heated so im wondering about the fridge idea

gray

Unread post by gray » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:08 am

About the fridge - depending on the type of oil that's used, and I'm not implying I know, oil can actually go cloudy or even solidify in such low temperatures. Bringing it back to room temperature will get the oil back to it's normal state though, but it might just add more hassle than some people like.

cabriellenil
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cabriellenil » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:14 am

I keep them in drawers and most of the oils I got four years ago are still perfectly fresh!
HRCC Graduate #1610

silver_disc

Transferring hoodoo oils into another bottle?

Unread post by silver_disc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 4:40 am

I noticed that the LM oils all come in clear bottles, so I was wondering if it would be possible to transfer the oil, along with the herbs in it, to a half oz. tinted glass bottle so as to lengthen its lifespan.

The bottles can then be neatly arranged (I'm a neat-freak- seeing a tidy row of blue bottles would cheer me to no end :D) and more discreetly labelled, so I won't get into any trouble if my boyfriend pops by and sees a little blue vial, rather than a brightly-illustrated bottle of "follow me boy" on my table :lol:

Would I be able to get the herbs out of the bottle mouth? And am I right to say that the oil would probably be more effective if the herbs are left in it?

Thanks, and have a great day! :)

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Transferring hoodoo oils into another bottle?

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:17 am

I personally wouldn't transfer them. The oils last a really long time, as they have already been cut with Vitamin E as a preservative. I've had some bottles for almost 4 years now and they still smell perfectly fresh. Just keep the bottles in a cool, dark place to store and you should get years of use out of it.

It is better to leave the herbs in it, and it can be extremely hard to get them out. I suppose if you wanted to transfer them,then that would be fine. But it still seems like a lot of trouble to me. LOL.

If you're concerned with discretion, why not just take the labels off and mark them some other way so you'll know which formula is which?
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

silver_disc

Unread post by silver_disc » Tue Sep 22, 2009 6:22 am

Wow, 4 years! That's a long time!

Hahaha, okay then I suppose I'll pass on the bottles.. But there's just something so pleasing about uniform little blue bottles all lined up in a row :lol:

I was planning on putting all my supplies into nice blue jars/bottles, oh well..

Thanks for answering :D

Tishee

Unread post by Tishee » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:26 am

Hi I have a question.... Once the oil has been used up in a bottle and you still have herbs left can you add olive oil or jojoba oil to it?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Sep 22, 2009 9:37 am

Well you could, but the herbs in the bottle are not the only things that make the condition oil, so you wouldn't really be making a strong condition oil by doing so.

The condition oil is made with essential oils diluted in a carrier oil, so that it is safe-to-touch, plus herbs and roots.

Depending on how long the herbs have been soaking in the oil by the time you finish the bottle, I would be doubtful as to whether they would have all that much strength left to add to a new batch of oil anyways. I'd just spend the $7.50 and buy a new bottle - LOL.

Alltobe
Newly Registered

Unread post by Alltobe » Sat Sep 26, 2009 7:54 pm

I've had some oils I bought from LM almost 9 years ago, and they still smell like they did when I first got them. In general, it seems most of the oils with root essential oils do not go bad. Root essential oils, (vetiver, patchouli, etc.) tend to get better with age. With that said, I take very good care of all my supplies- I have airtight containers, keep them out of light, etc. I wouldn't recommend keeping oils for so long, but mine have done very well.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Sep 26, 2009 9:34 pm

Yes, I've had half of my oils for about 3-4 years now. I keep them in a cool dark place, sealed well - and I haven't had one turn yet. I'm starting to go through them faster now, though - so from now on I might not get to experiment with how long they keep, lol.

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Sat Sep 26, 2009 10:37 pm

I think putting them in the fridge can make oils go cloudy, kind of like cooking oils. I keep mine in a dresser drawer, and like Devi have some that are 3-4 years old and just like new.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:53 pm

I have found that the oils keep for a very long time if stored out of direct sunlight, in room temperature spaces, with the lid kept on tight. I would not suggest keeping them in the refrigerator though.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

tnish

Re: Synthetic Oils

Unread post by tnish » Sun May 02, 2010 3:14 pm

Hello to the forum!

Although there is a big debate between the two, I was wondering what then would make syntheitic oils even probable for use in work(in anyone's personal opinions)?

I was thinking it was the component of just praying over the oils with intent that is the main thing that gives them their power so as long as that is done(before selling occurs), having no articles within wouldnt be so much of a hinderance?

Thanks In Advance

Bibi2

Unread post by Bibi2 » Mon May 03, 2010 7:31 am

I have a bottle of dyed synthetic hoodoo oil from the days before I found LM, and when held in comparison to LM oils, the bottle of the perfumed fake stuff feels dead. There's just no energy to it. I can feel the difference in the palm of my hand with LM oils.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon May 03, 2010 8:02 am

Bibi wrote:I have a bottle of dyed synthetic hoodoo oil from the days before I found LM, and when held in comparison to LM oils, the bottle of the perfumed fake stuff feels dead. There's just no energy to it. I can feel the difference in the palm of my hand with LM oils.

I agree. Unless I have made the oil myself, which I do on occasion, LM oils are the only ones that are not spiritually null and void. I have dumped out bottles of crap Frankincense over and over when I was young. Finally just started making it myself. LM oils are the only that I feel 100% about and have used to a very successful end.

This is a great thread. I remember reading something similar to this in the use.groups, but I believe it was about natural tinting...still a great topic!

-joseph
Joseph Magnuson

RJLupin

Unread post by RJLupin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:35 pm

I have only ever used real, natural essential oils. Sure, they cost much more, but they've got the energy and vibration of the plant: something you will not get from something made out of plastic in a lab. It's not just the smell, but the whole essence and magical property of the plant you're after. Lucky Mojo only used real, authentic herbal ingredients so I think they're great products. I personally wouldn't ever use the fake, dyed stuff you get elsewhere.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed May 19, 2010 1:52 pm

First of all...there is no discussion...essential oils are what you need for success...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 19, 2010 9:27 pm

jwmcclin wrote:First of all...there is no discussion...essential oils are what you need for success...

Agreed, end of story... :) :)
Joseph Magnuson

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun May 23, 2010 4:53 am

I have a question and a forum search really didn't answer it. I've already gotten one small order from LM (6 oils, 4 powders) and one larger one hopefully showing up Monday (not that I'm lying in wait for the postal worker or anything! :) ) which has 12 oils, 12 powders, 12 incense, and a lot of other odds and ends. So now is time to start getting a storage system in place for all my goodies. I have a lot of decorative boxes that I'll be using for storage---they solve the problem of keeping everything in a cool, dark place, as well as keeping them away from prying eyes and curious furkids.

My question is this....how do you store your supplies. Do you keep your Hot Foot Oil in the same place as your Return to Me Oil, or should things that are meant for very different tricks and spells be kept separate? I already have a ton of small plastic storage bags I intend to put each individual vial and packet in just to prevent spills and the like. Is that enough to prevent 'cross-contamination' of the purposes? Hopefully that makes sense.

(And if this is not the correct forum section for this, moderators please move wherever it fits best. Thank you)
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun May 23, 2010 5:22 am

I wish I did have a order to follow, well I do practice keeping love, success and coercive type items separate. Now as for the cross contamination, you definitely do not want a spilled bottle of Love Me to mix with a cracked bottle of Hot Foot.

There are certain items for work (i.e., Crown of Success, King Solomon Wisdom, Boss Fix, Steady Work) and career that I keep in my book bag that I carry to work.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun May 23, 2010 6:11 am

you definitely do not want a spilled bottle of Love Me to mix with a cracked bottle of Hot Foot
ROTFL!!! Definitely not!

I just wasn't sure if Hoodoo had a fairly set rule for ritual supplies for very different types of work coming into contact with one another. I was thinking of keeping love, success, and coercive/cursing separate from one another, if not in separate boxes, at least divided with cardboard dividers on top of being stored in the individual bags.

And I have to have a system or organizational set up for just about everything! *lol* Mundane or Magical, clutter and chaos drives me up a wall and I've noticed over the years it affects my mood and my success in general.
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun May 23, 2010 7:02 am

I think it would depend very much on the worker and their means/space. If you have the means to keep everything sepeaate and wish to - then do so. There's no rule about that kind of thing. I personally have a little cabinet with lots of little compartments and I have all my oils separated by types, with appropriate candle colors next to them. But up until I bought that, all my oils were in a metal tool box together. They work fine now, and they worked fine then. :)

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun May 23, 2010 10:48 am

jujugiggles wrote:I think it would depend very much on the worker and their means/space. If you have the means to keep everything sepeaate and wish to - then do so. There's no rule about that kind of thing. I personally have a little cabinet with lots of little compartments and I have all my oils separated by types, with appropriate candle colors next to them. But up until I bought that, all my oils were in a metal tool box together. They work fine now, and they worked fine then. :)
I'm jealous of your cabinet! And I do have the space to store everything separately. Right now I have a spare bedroom I don't really use, and should I get the apartment I've applied for, I'll have two built in shelves that run the length of the apartment in the hall. That's why I'm using the decorative boxes, last thing I need is a conservative landlord walking into the apartment and coming up the stairs and being face to face with a half dozen skull candles or the like! *lol*

But I do like the idea of at least having separate compartments for different types of oils, candles, powders, etc. Not only to 'protect' their intent, but to make it easier to grab the desired items rather than sorting through 25 different vials looking for the right oil.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun May 23, 2010 5:22 pm

I wouldn't worry about protecting intent - that comes into play moreso when you are actually working. It does make things easier to look for, though!

Maljen
Re: Storing supplies

Unread post by Maljen » Sun May 23, 2010 5:46 pm

jujugiggles wrote:I wouldn't worry about protecting intent - that comes into play moreso when you are actually working. It does make things easier to look for, though!
That is does! Although I may have to buy extra bottles of Reconciliation Oil, as whatever is in it smells like suntan oil and is just YUMMY as a regular perfume. I had some on a piece of jewelry of my husband's to try to keep his thoughts on me in a favorable way and kept getting complimented on my perfume all day! So yeah, might have to have a spare bottle sitting in the bathroom for use strictly as a perfume! But the various boxes do make moving easier too. No need to pack up a whole cabinet :)

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Sun May 23, 2010 7:04 pm

jujugiggles wrote:I wouldn't worry about protecting intent - that comes into play moreso when you are actually working. It does make things easier to look for, though!
Agreed. Keep in mind that everything at Lucky Mojo is shelved by category of product (e.g. oils with oils) then alphabetized. I keep all my supplies in the same box, separated by usage only so it's easier to find the right item quickly. Powders are messy, so I keep those in individual baggies. Oils are wiped clean of drips after I pour from them. Certainly you can keep things separated if you prefer, but it's not a problem if you don't.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun May 23, 2010 7:44 pm

You are definitely organized MightyAphrodite. Maljen, this is a good topic, there are a lot of good ideas here.

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Sun May 23, 2010 7:53 pm

I have to work discreetly, so all of my supplies are kept in one or two boxes hidden in my closet. However, most of my stuff is positive. I do have one vinegar jar and that I make sure to keep in my other closet away from the rest of the materials. However, some of the materials that went into the vinegar jar are stored with my love oils, money drawing oils, etc. But I see that as different because it's not an actively working spell, it's simply the ingredients. As someone else pointed out, at the LM store (of course I've never been there so I'm taking there word for it), the items are stocked on the shelves with all the oils together and not necessarily sorted by what they're used for. On the other hand, in the church, when the candles are set, they are set on different altars for different purposes. I take that to mean that active work should be stored or worked separately if it's for different purposes (if you don't have room for too many different work areas, I'd at least separate positive and negative work), but unused supplies can be stored wherever you have the room.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Mon May 24, 2010 2:25 am

I keep all my supplies in the same box, separated by usage only so it's easier to find the right item quickly. Powders are messy, so I keep those in individual baggies. Oils are wiped clean of drips after I pour from them.
Mighty, That's basically what I'm planning to do, but with the rough division between 'positive' and 'negative' work (attraction vs repelling). I'll probably keep my chime candles wrapped in tissue paper in the same box, but my figural candles are already wrapped in bubble wrap and in separate boxes. But I'm definitely keeping the powders and incense and bath crystals in small baggies.
As someone else pointed out, at the LM store (of course I've never been there so I'm taking there word for it), the items are stocked on the shelves with all the oils together and not necessarily sorted by what they're used for. On the other hand, in the church, when the candles are set, they are set on different altars for different purposes. I take that to mean that active work should be stored or worked separately if it's for different purposes (if you don't have room for too many different work areas, I'd at least separate positive and negative work), but unused supplies can be stored wherever you have the room.
Good point, Kevin! :)

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Student

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Mon May 24, 2010 9:21 pm

I have to keep my stuff private, because I share space with other people. I've been using one of those big Rubbermaid lidded trunks they sell for all my "weird" stuff. Put a cloth over it and you've got an instant altar that can be pulled up and put away within minutes.
HRCC Student #2174

bounsyphom

Oil and hot weather

Unread post by bounsyphom » Tue Jul 06, 2010 12:47 pm

Hi I just received my first order of oils today !! and it today was almost 98 degrees outside and the oils were in my mailbox for a couple of hours, when I opened the box the oil bottles were warm. I was wondering if this will have any effect on how affective the oils will be?

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator
Re: Oil and hot weather

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Jul 06, 2010 1:01 pm

It should have no effect. Call the shop (to verify the specific oil) I have MANY LM Oils and I would not leave in a hot car all day, but it I would not worry about the mail box.(FOR OILS) Again, call the shop (just to verify)
Welcome to the forum!
Be Blessed.
---Triplethreat
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!
HRCC Grad-Apprentice #1606

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: Oil and hot weather

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:52 pm

They were only in the mailbox for a couple of hours. You will be fine.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

JCPA72

Unread post by JCPA72 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 12:04 pm

I created my altar on top of an old night table, so I store my candles, baths and other liquids there, so they can stand upright. I recently purchased a plastic bin to organize my oils and essences, again standing upright. I think whatever works for you is best, some people have more privacy than others, some people live in an open environment (thankfully I am one of those people) so I never feel I have to hide things. Basically my thoughts on storage are to try to keep things together, and organized. Hope that helps :)
My most gracious thanks to La Caridad Del Cobre, St. Martha, St. Michael, and La Virgen de La Regla

amandine

Unread post by amandine » Sun Jul 11, 2010 1:41 pm

Right now I keep most of my conjure items in 2 shoeboxes, one for oils and one for loose incense/other (magnetic sand, blueing, stuff like that). The shoebox with oils is lined with a plastic bag, in case some get a little messy. My items are all "positive" so no worries if they mix (ohhh no, I spilled Money Drawing powder everywhere, what will I doooooo? :-P)

Oh, I do have a tiny paper box that holds my powders and salts since I only have a few. And loose herbs are in a drawer from a plastic storage unit, in my kitchen cupboard, since I use them for cooking. Most of the herbs are seperated into labeled plastic sandwich bags unless I use them a lot, then they get a jar.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 2:34 pm

My stock of LM products and candles and other assorted supplies is getting so large I'm thinking of getting a cabinet for my spare bedroom and keeping everything in there now. I'm rapidly outgrowing the boxes that I thought would be enough! *lol* I also got the small snack sized ziploc bags and I am using those to keep each bottle of oil or packet of incense/crystals/powder in as they are the perfect sized, will prevent spills from the packets once they're opened, and are clear so I can find stuff quickly. Herbs are also being put straight into ziplocs while still in their original bags/packets (to keep the info Cat puts on the labels of her herbs) to keep mixing to a bare minimum too.

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Anointing and Dressing Oils in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”