Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Crossroads and Crossroads Ritual: Questions and Answers

SageWanderer
Forum Member

Re: Crossroads and Crossroads Ritual: Questions and Answers

Unread post by SageWanderer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 5:21 pm

For the record, I do happily use Lucky Mojo products.

I read in an LM newsletter and some other forum posts about disposing ritual remains in a series of crossroads to obtain the desired effect on the target. In other words, disposing ritual remains from where the target lives out of town in order to hot foot and/or drawing a potential love target to where you live starting from the closest crossroads to where you live or where the desired place the target should be drawn to. Is this accurate?

I'm thinking about making herbal packets with a burnt petition and then dumping them off in the middle of each crossroad starting from the target's home to the destination.

My question is: should I make a payment? Three pennies, candy, yams, cigar, rum?

Thanks. Sorry, if this is totally off. I'm relatively new to hoodoo. I don't really need coaching, but thought an experienced worker might be able to chime in with a simple "yay or nay."

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:47 pm

I believe this is what you are referring (http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html)
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

SageWanderer
Forum Member

Unread post by SageWanderer » Wed Aug 17, 2011 7:47 pm

Indeed, that's what I was speaking about. I guess my main question is if I should leave an offering at each crossroads while performing this type of work?

Rotax122
Newly Registered

Unread post by Rotax122 » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:00 pm

Hi all, that's the first time that I post on this forum, but it's been long time that I use to read the website and forum.

I just decided to open a new topic to ask advices on crossroad ritual to contact the Devil; the one of Tommy Johnson, to sell your soul to the "Devil" :roll: )

1) Will the ritual work with an uninitiated person?

2) I found different versions of that ritual, does anyone have ever tried it? (I'm sure of yes.) Which one have you tried?

3) Which version, if any, will work better or be more successful, in your opinion?

Thanks all and sorry for my english (I come from Italy ...)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 27, 2011 6:03 pm

Hi,

For those unfamiliar with Tommy Johnson, he was an African American blues musician who, according to his brother, who was later interviewed, performed the crossroads ritual to gain skill in music. His prother's account is reprinted on this "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page:

The Crossroads:
http://luckymojo.com/crossroads.html

A fictionalized account of Tommy Johnson's selling his soul to the devil appears in the movie "O, Brother, Where Art Thou?"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgcWfVvT_UM

-----

Rotax122, hoodoo is a form of African American folk magic. It is not an initiatic religion. You ought to learn more about hoodoo, because if you had a basic understanding of what it is, you would not ask about initiations. Here is a starter-page for you, from my free online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice." It answers all of your questions about what hoodoo is -- and is not:

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoohistory.html

As you read the page, click on every link you find in the text to get definitions of unfamiliar words and phrases. By the end of the page you will have learned a lot, i think.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

ROSTAFA

Unread post by ROSTAFA » Mon Sep 19, 2011 2:52 pm

hello, i went to the crossroads on saturday night/sunday morning(12:00 A.M.) on september 11. i went 2 the crossroads and did my ritual. i did everything i was told. but the problem i had was that i left 2 pieces to my alter at my house. i left the crossroads, went back to my home, got the 2 items(plant and water ), and went back to the crossroads to place the items on my alter. i went back almost the exact way i left. my question is that because i went back to the crossroad(because i know your not suppose to go or look back), will my offering still work? will all of my grants come true? do i have to re due the offering again? i'm scared i did something wrong. help me, because i want all of my goals in life to come true; or as they say, "holding up my end of the deal."

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Sep 19, 2011 6:37 pm

Are you working the crossroads ritual that entails learning a skill? ...or a crossroad ritual for disposal? I'm not clear on what you are asking.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Sep 20, 2011 12:29 am

SageWanderer ,

Yes, there are drive-away and come to me spells in which you leave things at nine (or some other number) successive crossroads -- but i think you are confused about what tradition you are following. We don't leave cigars or rum at crossroads in the American South. Those are Cuban and Haitian traditions from relgions such as Santeria or Palo or Voodoo.

You would not go into a Lutheran church singing Havah Nagilah and i doubt you would go into a Shinto shrine singing Are You Washed in the Blood. Lots of folks think that because most practitioners of hoodoo are Black and most practitioners of Palo and Santeria and Voodoo are Black that -- Presto! they are all the same. But they are no more the same than the two Asian religions Buddhism and Taoism are the same or the two European-American religions Catholicism and Methodism are the same.

When in doubt, ask yourself, "Is this something that would be common in the US South during the 19th and early 20th centuries or is it something i saw on a video about Haiti or Cuba?"
catherine yronwode

God_Wolf
Newly Registered

Unread post by God_Wolf » Sun Sep 25, 2011 6:42 pm

I beg you to answer me, it means alot...

I am a singer, I play the guitar and piano but my singing isn't good even though I'm pracitcing it for years.

I don't have an awful voice type, in fact it's quite OK, but I am very off tune and don't use it well.

How do I get a better voice, like Bruno Mars for example?

If i go to a crossroad 9 nights in a row and sing Bruno Mars songs, will I get a voice like him or similar to him?

I'm not afraid to do the ritual, and I think I deserve a better voice than 90% singers do (because even though they have great voices most of them give up easily on their dream, but I didn't gave up even though I'm not getting much better for 6 years.)

Thank you very much!

Alan

CuriousKate
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousKate » Wed Dec 21, 2011 7:19 am

I have a few questions that I would like to ask about this particular subject.
1. What is the proper ritual for summoning him?
2. What objects do you need? I've heard that you need a black cat bone? Is this true, because I am not skinning my cat for anyone! I've also read that you have to cut your nails really short, like to the quick short.
3. What can you ask for? Is it just help in a creative area or anything?
4. Is he really the devil? I know that some of you use Jesus, God and other Christian deities in your work. So that's why I'm wondering.
5. What does he supposedly look like or for those that have seen him what does he look like?
6. Will he want my soul if I ask him to make me a better writer?

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Wed Dec 21, 2011 12:05 pm

Miss Cat has a good page on the crossroads here: http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html I take things to the crossroads all the time, but I have never felt the need to do the actual ritual. As for your question #4, I can tell you most people I know do not consider him to be Satan from the Bible. This may seem a bit confusing, but the "devil" at the crossroads is different from the fallen angel Lucifer/Satan. I live in a VERY Christian area, but you often see little devil statutes or pictures in places. There's a BBQ restaurant near my house which has a little table with a devil statue right when you walk in the door... but the family who runs it are very religious. It's just one of those Southern quirks. Like the fact that my family swears by 666 cold remedy.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

CuriousKate
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousKate » Wed Dec 21, 2011 1:14 pm

Thank you for answering my questions, especially number four although I honestly don't entirely understand it. :|

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Dec 23, 2011 3:16 pm

1. One does not summon him. You go to *his* place and he comes to you.
2. You take something that represents what you want from him. If you want skill in music you take your guitar or you go and sing, or if you want skill in art you take your paints with you. Never heard of cutting your nails but many people take a cleansing bath before going to the crossroads to meet him.
3. He helps usually with a skill. He opens doors, grants knowledge and skill.
4. Depends on what you define as the devil? If you are worried that he's Satan then he's not.
5. All black, like night in humaniod form.
6. What use would he have with your soul? Going to the crossroads will certainly change you though.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

CuriousKate
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousKate » Tue Dec 27, 2011 3:12 am

So if I want him to make me a better writer I would take a pen and paper or my computer?
Also what is the best time to meet him?

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:09 am

CuriousKate: Most people prefer to go at dawn or dusk. I would take a pen and paper and write while you are there, yes. Make sure to read this: http://www.luckymojo.com/crossroads.html

Good luck...
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Midnight is also a traditional time of working with the crossroads--the timing represents that in-between liminal states.

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Tue Jan 03, 2012 1:29 pm

In my admittedly amateur studies of Hoodoo (and African-American folklore generally) I have come across the importance of the crossroads, and of a mysterious figure who can be encountered there, sometimes called "The Black Man," or "The Dark Man," or sometimes, bluntly, "The Devil." Of course, crossroad deities figure in many cultures, but I'd love more specifics on how this figure is understood in Hoodoo, and how involved He and his "hell hounds" are in crossroad work.
I have made use of several differenct crossroads in my personal workings, and have always felt a potent "presence" there, especially at night. I am familiar with Papa Legba of Voodoo, and Hecate of European witchcraft (both of whom are also associated with black hounds), and have worked with both, but as I'm studying Hoodoo I want a clearer understanding of its specific crossroads "Haunt." Especially as I swear this "presence" gets "bigger" the more I work with Hoodoo.
Along those lines, I know quite a few folk talkes about "Hell hounds" (including some local stories), and am curious about them as well.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:15 pm

I feel silly that after posting this I found the Lucky Mojo article on the crossroads, with lots of helpful info. However, I would still welcome any additional info you feel is important or relevant.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:42 pm

I wrote quite a bit about the crossroads spirit a while back trying to elucidate his relationship with the Devil and the Judeo-Christian Satan. The best way that I can describe him is the descedent of an African crossroads deity manifesting through conjure's Christian paradgim.

The Spirit of the Crossroads is associated with black dogs as this is the appearance he sometimes takes when he comes to visit and those who have performed the crossroads rite often report seeing a black dog.

The concept of hell houds is also rather interesting and really old school in conjure. You don't hear much mention of it these days, which is sad. If you listen to the LM Hoodoo Rootwork hour, you'll hear me mention "larvae" which is an folk lore chategorization for a type of spirit. These spirits are found world-wide. In the Mediterranean we are looking at Lemures, but in Rome they were called "larvae." These types of spirits are chthonic in nature and are usually instinctual, not thinking. They are often unleased upon enemies. When I use the term "larvae" on the show I specifically refer to this class of spirits.

In hoodoo we call them hell hounds. They are spirits, or demonic beings associated with the grave who lack the intellect found with other spirits and instead simply latch on and leech someone.

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Tue Jan 03, 2012 4:32 pm

Here is a true story I heard about a devil dog (in SC they call them plat eyes) told to me by my mother... when my mother was a little girl (circa 1952) her family went to visit relatives near Wilmington, NC. The old man of the house was very mean and abusive, and while they were visiting he beat a dog to death. The next day the children were playing in the yard and the man was sleeping on the portch when a large black dog with glowing red eyes came out and the woods. It walked right past the children and up onto the portch where it licked the sleeping old man across the forehead. The man woke up screaming and his forehead was burned. According to one of my aunts the numbers 666 were burned into his skin, but my mother said this isn't true it was just a red burn-like mark across his forehead. The dog ran back into the woods from whence he came. The old man immediately fell ill and lay in terrible agony for three days. One the third day he died. This event was witnessed by my mother, three aunts, and their cousins. I have not, however, been able to accurately identify this individual or locate a death certificate; but my mother swears it really happened.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Tue Jan 03, 2012 11:23 pm

Conjure Man Ali: I agree that the "Dark Man" is the Hoodoo form of an old African crossroads Deity. In researching I found references to the "Dark Man" not only as a man but also as a small child, which makes sense given that in some African tribes the crossroads God was an old man ("Papa Legba", in Vodou), or a small child ("Ellegua" in Santeria). It makes sense that they kept this energy/form with them and it adapted to fit the overall Protestant context of Hoodoo.
I seem to recall reading about "larvae" in a book by Orion Foxwood called "The Faery Teachings." I'll have to dig it back up.

Lee Canipe: You just gave me shivers!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:27 pm

Lee Canipe, a lot of people assume that New Orleans or Louisiana in general is where all the great conjure doctors are, but if you ask my opinion no place has more powerful conjure roots and root doctors than the east coast. Virginia, Georgia, South Carolina, and North Carolina are where I met some of the most powerful conjure workers and also heard the best tales of conjure.

Your tale proves how much conjure and its spirits are still alive in that region.

retrostyle
Forum Member

Unread post by retrostyle » Sat Jan 07, 2012 7:04 am

First and foremost, I would like to thank the administrators and members of this community for putting together such a magical place for the communication of ideas and experiences. Admittedly, I haven't been practicing magick for too long, but Lucky Mojo gives me hope unlike anything else I have stumbled upon. After I read Mrs. Cat's wikipedia page, as well as the pages of many root workers and practices on the root-workers wiki site, my mind has been able to calm down and trust the information that I am reading. I will now be able to practice with a sense of peace or calm knowing that this website exists, along with the many wonderful and assisting people on here.

I'm still a bit young, I can admit that I haven't matured as much as I would want to. I still see myself bending to my own impulses and egoic desires.. I would thus like to employ the assistance of a magickal coach, or to get a reading (not sure what exactly a reading encompasses, or what can be accomplished from such) to better assist what path I would like to carry on in my work.

Just a heads-up, what really got me interested was the Crossroads Ritual (I have been reading on the Faustian pacts and black magick for quite some time now, so a finding such as the crossroad ritual was a huge relief). I am leaning towards performing that ritual, but first I would like to get the professional advice of a rootworker before carrying out something of such intensity which will change my fate.

Once again, I'm not sure where my path lies, where my energies are, and where exactly I "am" at the moment. I could continue on with my life story, my past, my history, but I feel as if I should just wait upon a reading from someone before getting into all of those details.

There are quite a few workers listed on the Wiki, so I was wondering if someone on the forums could help guide me to who will be able to help me best. A rootworker who will be able to successfully tell "where I am" (if that makes sense?) in my spiritual development, and what actions need to be taken to further advance my journey.

I am looking quite forward for future experiences on Lucky Mojo, the forum, and with individual members on here. Thanks in Advance!

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Sat Jan 07, 2012 8:47 am

You're right, ConjureMan Ali. New Orleans gets all the glory! But the Southeast is where it's at! :)

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:06 am

Well, all of the workers that offer both magical coaching AND crossroads work would be good guides. So I would narrow your choices down using those criteria, and then see which of those workers you feel the most resonance with, or are otherwise drawn to working with.

If you're having a hard time deciding between two or three, then book a $10 yes/no reading with each of them, and after interacting with them, see which one you enjoyed working with the most. Then approach them for their magical coaching services!

Best of luck!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sat Jan 07, 2012 9:07 am

Welcome to the forum, retrostyle, and I'm glad you've found so much reassurance among the Lucky Mojo and AIRR web pages!

A reading is a great idea. The AIRR website also includes information pages on the various modes of divination; each page has a list of the AIRR members who use each method. I, for instance, use bibliomancy, Tarot, ceremancy (reading signs in candle wax) and bones.

Many of us AIRR workers do magical coaching, but we can't presume to tell you who would suit you best.

Look over their pages, read their biographies -- and look at their altar photos. Pick the hoodoo whose altar work looks like they would understand your background.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
Forum Moderator - Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jan 07, 2012 10:06 am

The advice given above is right -- look for those at AIRR who do magical coaching (most of us), then select those who specifically offer crossroads work (as in, they'll go to the crossroads on a client's behalf). These will be the folks most familiar with crossroads rituals and rites. Then factor in the following information (some of which may be important to you and some of which may not be)

1) Location: you may wish to work with someone physically near to you who can meet with and coach you in person (it's not necessary, but some folks refer this).

2) Style of altar work: check out their altar and rootwork photos and pick one who seems to be working with the kinds of materials, statuary, altar layouts, and even colours that most appeal to you.

3) Text: read what they have to say about themselves and their lives and select the one that appeals most to you as a copacetic person and perhaps a potential mentor and friend.
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat Jan 07, 2012 5:26 pm

I wish I'd known that when I lived in North Carolina.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Sun Jan 08, 2012 9:48 am

Where did you live in NC, Mama Micki?

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

Flora
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Flora » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:33 am

I have beautiful crossroads spot near my home. It has a Free Will Baptist Church on one corner, a high way patrol man on another corner, a huge ranch on another and medow on the other corner. The roads meeting there are asphalt, dirt, chat, and rock. It is truly a unique spot and has turned out to be one whooper of a haunt. I've been known to go down for a vist to my little brother at the crossroads often. The first time I did a nine nights and days ceremony there the power built up and stayed. I honestly believe that it had been years since anyone had done any work there. It was clear that someone had been there but long neglected. I am very aware of the presense at that meets me there. I have transferred the energy work that I pick up on there into my Hoodoo work. It not only adds umph to the work but also acts as as guide when I am missing something special to my work.
As far as hell hounds. During my nine nights of work, I was met on three differnt nights by three dogs. The dogs that showed up were each differnt so it was not the same dogs that got out from a neighbor. I haven't seen the dogs since in my neighborhood either. The first time I came up on them they barked and growled like they might eat my heart out. I started singing and they calmed right down. The calmed enough for me to give them some peanut butter cookie that I had in my pocket. The next two visitations the dogs did not bark but they went straight for my pocket looking for a treat. I have dreamed of them since then too. I give them instructions to go spirit hunting when I need to do some speciality work.
I say keep your relationship with the little brother of the crossroads because it is insightful and beneficial to you and your clients.
Best of Blessings,
Flora
Certified Graduate #1658
"A wise woman will make more opportunities than she finds."

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:47 am

I was in the Army at the time, stationed at Fort Bragg, 1994-1995.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:02 am

Mama Micki, Fayetteville is a major hub of conjure! Haha

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jan 09, 2012 12:14 pm

There was a flea market in Fayetteville where a grandmother, mother, and daughter had a booth for psychic readings. Their predictions were accurate and one came true years later!
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Mon Jan 09, 2012 3:10 pm

Flora: thank you for your story.
I have been practicing and studying Hoodoo on my own since early last summer, and have been thinking a great deal how it has effected my life overall. I am a full-time college student with little money, but want to learn more. Having experienced powerful energies at the crossroads (as I mentioned above), and having read several versions of spells to meet the Dark Man and petitioning him to learn Hoodoo, I have decided that this is my next step. The spell I'm planning also involves 9 days (in my case, nine progressive Sundays), and is an amalgam of two different spells on the LM crossraods page, with some steps of my own added in. Your story, in several ways, confirmed that this is what I need to do.
Question: "little brother"? Could you clarify? I thought at first you were referring to a literal brother, but then I wondered if that was your term for Him, as some have said the "Dark Man" actually is a small boy (or both).

Also (to anyone who wants to answer): Any product/formula or other magical recommendations for working with this Being? I had planned on using some Dark Arts products, but am open to any ideas the more experienced may have.

Flora
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Flora » Tue Jan 10, 2012 7:38 am

Jibreal
I call the spirit at the crossroads my dark little brother. When I set my prayers there or do workings there, I will say "Hey little brother I have some work to do please come join me." I will leave him candy or liquor as and offering of gratitude for the work. I found that he really likes whiskey or peppermint /cinnamon schnapps and that could be my crossroads spirit yours will let you know what it likes. When I did my ritual I picked nine days before the Fall Equinox simply because it has cooled down here in Oklahoma. I did a major cleanse right before I started the work. I had nine areas that I wanted help with so I picked a root, herb stone and or bone to represent those areas I was requesting help with. If I make a honey jar or mojo bag for one of those nine areas I include the root, herb and bone or stone (mineral) from my night that corresponded to my request. I will give an example: I wanted help with wisdom to intuitively know what my clients needed. The night before the crossroads request I dreamed of a moldavite, turtle shell and master root. I took that combo down to the crossroads the following night and laid them on the ground. I ask little brother to show me all the properties and powers these three had to empower of my clients and improve their lives. After that I would go home and go straight to bed and dream - holy cow I dreamed big time. I dreamed of a little black man in a kitchen hand sewing a purple bag, then he took the items I took to the crossroads washed them in whiskey and put them in the bag. Said a prayer over the bag and placed it in my pocket over my heart. Then right before I woke up at dawn to greet the day, I would dream of the next items I was to take to the crossroads and the area it pertained with. I would get out of bed and watch the sun come up at the crossroads and leave candy to sweeten the deal.
I said all the prayers listed on the LM crossroads page in the process over the nine days. I also added what felt true to me in the process. I was very clear that going to the crossroads for me was like an interview with the spirit there. My commitment to going down there every night and day meant I was committed to learning this work and doing it with my whole heart. I go back often and sometimes when I am out driving in rural Oklahoma I will come to a crossroads that just feels really strong. I jump out of my truck and I dance or sing a song or walk a circle in the space and for my effort I get a good dream that night.
I love crossroads work! I am glad you are interested and I highly recommend the crossroads work - it is not dark or light. For me it helps me be clear about my work and what inspires me plus it gives me a good alliance in the spirit world for my work.
Keep in touch and let me know how it goes - I am interested. I have collected interviews from all kinds of folks who have gone to the crossroads for all kinds of reasons.
Flora
Certified Graduate #1658
"A wise woman will make more opportunities than she finds."

Scratchmade Sweets

Unread post by Scratchmade Sweets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 10:31 am

I am from NC and can attest to it being a hot spot for conjure for sure. It was more of something done in secret though where I grew up. I would hear stories from my Grandmother and other family members about people "doing roots" around town and in adjoining cities like Elizabethtown and Clarkton. Some people had been unable to go back to some of these towns because as soon as they set foot in town, they would get sick immediately. I've heard stories of folks dying from rootwork, going crazy, etc. My Uncle lives near a T shaped cross road and graveyard and often sees spirits and demons and such walking at night. I've seen some of the same crossroad spirits down that way. There is one crossroad in NC that always gives me the creeps when I ride through. I know crossroads are considered neither bad nor good but....are there "good" and "bad" crossroads....maybe where some have more negative energy or evil?

I definitely feel and see more spiritual entities at cross roads in the South. Does the high level of people practicing conjure in that area have anything to do with that?

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Tue Jan 17, 2012 1:58 pm

BestofLife

Hey fellow Tar Heel! I absolutely believe the South is special because of the number of people practicing roots (and because of our history and culture). This is stuff deeply embedded in who we are as a people. All that work done, all those spirits called upon, all that power is here in the very land we walk-- that stuff don't just go away! This might make some people angry, but I honestly believe there are many things that you simply can't understand unless you are from here and from this culture. I see it all the time, a person will move down here from New York or New Jersey or Rhode Island and they are totally oblivious to the spirits and work going on. It's not just with conjure-- there is religious and cultural stuff that outsiders just don't get either. We have something special.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

Scratchmade Sweets

Unread post by Scratchmade Sweets » Tue Jan 17, 2012 4:26 pm

Hey Kinston! (Lee), I would agree with that!

retrostyle
Forum Member

Unread post by retrostyle » Wed Jan 25, 2012 11:50 pm

Hello all, I hope everyone is having a fantastic week.

I went to the Crossroads earlier tonight, and just wanted to ask a few questions to verify my decision to discontinue performing my ritual at this location, or whether these type of things are normal. I am only asking because of the intense emotions experienced during the event.

My ritual requires the use of a computer, so I took my laptop with me. This spot is next to a cemetery, with homes surrounding the area. As I sat on the pavement, about 7 cars drove by. 1 asked if I needed help, and quickly drove off (before midnight) and another jeered insults at me (after midnight). I saw a black animal right at the strike of 12, so I registered that the ritual was working. As I got up to leave (as a car was coming towards me, and for some reason I panicked thinking it would be those who had just driven by a minute ago insulting me) I dropped my phone and was unable to even walk as my leg had fallen asleep, many dogs started barking at me as I got into my car to drive off. It was all quite an experience and I am pretty baffled as to what just happened.

I was wondering if I should trust my instincts, and find another crossroad, or maybe completely change up my intent even, as these signs points toward something being "off" or maybe this was just a test for my dedication? If anyone could lend any insight towards this, I would be greatly appreciative. Thanks in advance! Cheers

Scratchmade Sweets

Unread post by Scratchmade Sweets » Thu Jan 26, 2012 12:52 pm

Sounds a bit nerve racking. Always always trust your instincts. The dogs you spoke of especially since you were near a graveyard sounds to be hell hounds. Often demonic spirits. This should have been a welcoming experience. Something is definitely out of wack here
Do a divination and ask spirit to guide you to a crossroads to perform your ritual or if you even should. Maybe get a reading. Best of luck to you.

retrostyle
Forum Member

Unread post by retrostyle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:19 pm

Ah, alright yes this definitely wasn't the most "welcoming" of experiences. I guess I'll give up for now, and find a different crossroad before continuing. Though I was excited about the prospects of continuing tonight..

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 26, 2012 7:45 pm

"I guess I'll give up"

The crossroads ritual is not a piece of cake, nor is it meant to be. It is an endurance trial.

The fact that you have given up is just that -- you have given up.

I mean, some folks report that they have seen STORMS and WILD ANIMALS and even worse, some have reported seeing the DEVIL and they kept it up.

If rootwork were EASY, why do you think it would be something that is called "WORK"?

I don't want you to feel obliged to work at a place that you think holds real physical danger to you, but please understand that "finding another crossroads before continuing" is NOT "continuing." You could could call it "starting over," -- but that is not "continuing."

I leave you with this thought :

"You can make it if you try." -- Gene Allison

Here -- listen to this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M6NUFE-GYfs

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

retrostyle
Forum Member

Unread post by retrostyle » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:39 pm

Thanks Cat, that was just the response that I needed.

Yes, I understand if I chose another Crossroads I will be starting all over again.

I'm not entirely sure whether the ritual at this particular Crossroads holds any REAL physical danger, but a sense of peace feels important doing this. Better to have that feeling, than being mugged by a bunch of drunkards at midnight next to a cemetery just because they were bored. I'll chose another location to start over at.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:49 pm

catherineyronwode wrote: If rootwork were EASY, why do you think it would be something that is called "WORK"?
I need to get this as a needle-point pattern for the house! Thank you, cat. :lol: :D
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:03 pm

retrostyle --

Honey, if you think an ORDEAL TRIAL needs to hold "a sense of peace," you should be following another path.

Seriously. There are many ways to achieve success, but the crossroads ritual is meant to be arduous, demanding, routine-breaking, insistent, arbitrary, irrational, dedicated, transgressive, even frightening. THAT'S HOW IT IS. Think of a young Black man out at midnight at a dirt crossroads in racist Mississippi in 1927, waiting by the crossroads, nine Sundays in a row. You think that was not a bit edgy?

Now, if you don't like edginess ... well, then don't do it. That's fine.

But please don't swing the other way. Please don't go to your local Starbucks parking lot for seven Sundays in a row and say, "I did the crossroads ritual at my local Starbucks parking lot and it was peachy keen and cat said it was just fine."

I'm not saying that this is your intention, but i am showing you the downside of searching for "a sense of peace" in what has always been an ordeal ritual.

Have some respect for our tradtions, that's all.

THIS MAY NOT BE THE RIGHT PATH FOR YOU.

Taking another path is OKAY.

Taking another path and calling it this path is NOT OKAY.

It dilutes our work, our traditions, our beliefs -- and compromises my reputation as a teacher.
catherine yronwode

retrostyle
Forum Member

Unread post by retrostyle » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:48 am

Hey Cat, hm.. the severity of the trial wasn't realized until just now, my apologies.
This should have been a welcoming experience.

I was just basing my statement of sense of peace based on that. I never intended to disrespect your tradition, or even make it seem as if I was trying to take the easy way out. It's just that I can't even remember being as vulnerable as I was after my experience with this, and that to me was just really scary, almost a sense of dying.
Think of a young Black man out at midnight at a dirt crossroads in racist Mississippi in 1927, waiting by the crossroads, nine Sundays in a row. You think that was not a bit edgy?
This really put things into perspective for me. I apologize if I attacked your tradition in anyway, and believe me when I say I have the utter-most respect for the urgency of hoodoo. Any concerns I had with the ritual, was rather a concern on my part and whether I was right/justified in my actions, or maybe as if the universe was telling me I shouldn't be doing this. I'll be sure to look into readings and consultations before dedicating myself to anything, and to avoid any misunderstandings. Thanks for all the free advice.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:05 pm

Oh cat, you are so right! You've captured the essence of the Crossroads ritual so perfectly. Many of us don't talk about our experience as they are highly personal, but edigy is the best way to describe it. An old woman once described it in terms of Jacob's ordeal with the Angel--its arduous, its taxing, but rewarding.

Shery

Unread post by Shery » Mon Feb 06, 2012 11:48 am

My questions:

1) Has someone actually done this spell?

2) If so, what was the outcome?

3) Does it has to be done on a Sunday? What if one decides to do it on any other day? (I ask because, after reading the entire page of the Crossroads spell in the LM site, one of Mr Hyatt's informants mentioned to do this spell only Sundays; but things have changed so very much from the 1930s.)

Please if someone out there has some sort of information or advice, please let me know. it is important for me to do this spell and I want to do it right. Thanks in advance.

Shery

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Feb 06, 2012 12:17 pm

Shery please read through the 9 page thread on the Crossroads Ritual (into which I've merged your thread). As you'll see many people have performed this rite.

Shery

Unread post by Shery » Mon Feb 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Thank you so much Devi...I feel so silly now that I found tons of threads explaining the "Crossroads Ritual". Thank you again. :D
Shery

CuriousKate
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousKate » Tue Feb 28, 2012 12:57 pm

Hi!

I've got a quick question and I'm not entirely certain if this is where this particular topic goes, but...

1) Has anyone ever actually gone to the crossroads to gain knowledge or a skill?

2) Has anyone really seen the black man at the crossroads?

I'm asking because I'm planning on going to the crossroads in order to sharpen my writing skills. However I would first like to learn as much as I possibly can about the crossroads and the experiences, if you have any to share.

Thank you!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Tue Feb 28, 2012 1:01 pm

Please read our large thread (where this post is about to be merged, btw) on the Crossroads Ritual as it answers both of your questions.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:11 am

Curious Kate and Shery,

1) Has someone actually done this spell? [Shery]
1) Has anyone ever actually gone to the crossroads to gain knowledge or a skill? [Curious Kate]

Yes, and the fact that folks feel they must ask this question before undertaking the work places them so firmly outside the tradition of African American hoodoo culture and conjuring that i question their ability to work within the spiritual paradigm of conjure at this time.

Sincerely, and with no disrespect intended to either of you, this is a disrespectful question that should never have needed to have been asked. It's like you are asking, "If this for real or is it a role-playing game or some sort of fantasy?"

Would you go into a public Christian forum and ask, "Do any of you folks really go to church?" or would you go into a public snowboarding forum and ask, "Do any of you people really use snowboards?"

2) Has anyone really seen the black man at the crossroads? [Curious Kate]
2) If so, what was the outcome? [Shery]

No one is under any obligation to tell you about their own personal experiences, but if you read this thread and other accounts you will see that many people have reported gaining benefits from the ritual.

Read the thread into which your post has been merged and also read the "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" web page:

3) Does it has to be done on a Sunday? What if one decides to do it on any other day? (I ask because, after reading the entire page of the Crossroads spell in the LM site, one of Mr Hyatt's informants mentioned to do this spell only Sundays; but things have changed so very much from the 1930s.) [Shery]

If you look over the material posted, you will see that timing is variable.

First off, Harry Hyatt was far from the first person to document the rite -- you can find descriptions of it in other folklore anthologies that were published far earlier than his books.

Second, the timing of dawn, which many people suggest, has NOTHING to do with the fact that Harry Hyatt interviewed people during the 1930s and times have changed since then. I mean, Christmas hasn't changed from December 25th since the 1930s, has it? So, okay, then.

The thing is, some people pass along the tradition as being on 3 or 7 or 9 Sundays and some pass the tradition along as being on 3 or 7 or 9 successive days. Some say at dawn and some say at midnight. If a person's local or family tradition calls for successive midnights or dawns, then obviously all three days cannot be Sundays.

Folklore is known for its flexibility and variability and, although the timing of 3 or 7 or 9 Sundays at dawn may be the timing more often encountered than other timings, it holds no primacy based upon centralized authority or hierarchy.
catherine yronwode

FlyingMonkey
Forum Member

Unread post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Mar 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi I'm a newb so please be gentle with me :) I've been reading up on the crossroads ritual with the black man and I was wondering if it's a one shot deal? Can you only ask for one skill? I only ask because I'm passionate about two different skills and I'm having a hard time deciding. Like I said I've read up on the subject but I'm obviously still confused about the intricacies of the ritual. I plan on getting advice from a member of AIRR before attempting this but if anyone has some advice for me to consider in the meantime it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!

paintedsmoke24
HRCC Student

Unread post by paintedsmoke24 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 4:12 pm

Has anyone ever been asked by onlookers about 'what they were doing'?
I have, they usually ask (even girls) how come I was there alone (in the middle of the city though); most times i've even made some joke or something, they usually get away.

But I just finished the ritual and strangely, i dont know if it worked. I wanted to ask if possible to be more skillfull in my consultant job (mostly for the speaking in public part).

I have seen several strange things (middle of the town, midnight ), a cat on the roof coming at midnight like it was checking if I was there, again middle of the night saw a men carrying two branches of a tree - what are the odds of that?) and on the 9th night something very weird happened, i was waiting in front of a store and i saw the reflection of someone with red shorts just beside be, but when i looked there was nobody next to me, then i looked back on the window of the store, the hands were moving like it was calling me. Then (and that is my biggest interrogation), it occurred to me that there was a person behind the store window (its a Chinese bazaar place) doing some sort of gym or something.

I got scared and moved away from that window. Never got to see any face,just the red shorts and the hand.

I am wondering if I did something wrong (brought offerings a few times, like whisky and cigarettes) also had a book and my business card in my hands every single night (from around 23:45 pm until 00:30).

Any idea of what have I done wrong?

FlyingMonkey
Forum Member

Unread post by FlyingMonkey » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:42 pm

HI I'm a newbie and I've asked this question in a different thread but I didn't get a response:( I've read up on the crosscroads ritual with the blackman but I have a few questions about it. Sorry if these are dumb/uninformed inquiries but here goes... Is this a one shot deal as in you can only do this particular ritual once in a lifetime? Can you ask for more than one skill? I'm asking because there are two things I am really passionate about and I'm having a hard time choosing. I'd like to pursue both regardless but if I were to do the crossroads ritual would I have to choose or could I ask for both? Maybe not at the same time but in two different rituals? If anyone can offer personal experiences or recommend a particular AIRR to consult on this matter it would be greatly appreciated. I know this topic has come up many times and I've read up on it on the LM pages and forums but I obviously still have some confusion about the whole thing. I want to do it right and have any misconceptions I may or may not have about it cleared up before I even attempt it.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:39 am

FlyingMonkey,

Asking the same question in two threads is not a good idea in this forum as the moderators have to then spend time merging your random thread back into the longer thread. Please do not do this again. The time it wastes could have been spent replying to questions, but is now frittered away, cutting, merging, waiting for pages to refresh -- a boring and stupid misuse of moderator resources, and then, commenting about it, asking people not to do it -- well, that was ten minutes i will never see again.

You can do the ceremony more than once. There is no restrictive rule on it. Or you can ask for two things at once. There is no restrictive rule on that either.

The crossroads ritual expresses a personal relationship to SPIRIT, not to a hierarchy responsible for promulgating authoritarian rule-following.

There are traditional methods and beliefs of undertaking this ritual, but generally they are broadly inclusive until they run up against some strong and inflexible cultural boundary, e.g. the culture-wide belief that this is not a noontime rite -- it is of the liminal time between night and dawn, interpreted either as clock-time (stroke of midnight) or as Sun time (soon in the morning, just about the break of day).

Thus, rather than ask piecemeal questions about the crossroads ritual, you would do better to study the broad field of African American folk-culture, including folk-magic, and then to work as best you can from WITHIN the tradition rather than as an outsider hoping to get a quick list of step-by-step instructions which you will then follow like a technician.

===============

paintedsmoke24 --

If you did anything "wrong" it would seem to be that you got scared and left the scene. As i understand it, you were asking for courage and lucidity in public presentations, but when the strange women approached, you joked with them nervously and when you saw the shadowy figure, you "got scared and moved away."

This is an ORDEAL TRIAL. You did not stay and confront and relate to the manifestations that were sent to you.

If you feel it did not work for you, perhaps you should try again.

================

There are a lot of folks using this forum who are inexperienced with the tradition of rootwork, conjure or hoodoo, and somehow they are picking up a lot of funky, false, and downright dippy information on the internet about the role of the crossroads in rootwork.

This post is designed to be quoted or pointed to by anyone who wishes to set straight anyone on the forum who is confused about crossroads work:

1) Read about the Crossroads here in "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by cat yronwode:

2) Read about the Crossroads at the "Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers" site:
http://readersandrootworkers.org/index. ... Crossroads

3) Read about how to dispose of or deploy ritual elements and hoodoo tricks at a crossroads in this page from "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" by cat yronwode:
http://luckymojo.com/layingtricks.html#crossroads

4) When using a crossroads for disposal or dispersal of spell work, you do not need to make "an offering to the crossroads," in hoodoo, though that is certainly done by some folks who have been influenced by West African religions.

5) In all my many years as a worker, i have never heard that you need to avoid returning to a "used" crossroads or that you should only use a crossroads you won't pass by again. Just go to your local crossroads and do your work, but when you leave it, don't look back. (Maybe folks have confused the idea of "don't LOOK back" with "don't GO back" ? ? ? If so, get over it.)
catherine yronwode

paintedsmoke24
HRCC Student

Unread post by paintedsmoke24 » Fri Mar 30, 2012 9:44 am

catherineyronwode

Yes Madam, I will sure do so! My joking with folks was trying to be nice with them (even with the weird ones) and not expeditive. But I will try again, thank you so much for your advice. I admire your work so very much, it's a huge honour to have a question of mine answered by yourself.

GoodLuckNatalie
Forum Member

Unread post by GoodLuckNatalie » Fri Apr 13, 2012 1:49 am

I really enjoyed reading cat's information on the crossroads ritual. I totally cracked up when I got to the part with the psalm for "all your soul-selling convenience." heehee It was just especially funny because it came in the middle of such serious scholarliness.

The rituals that most intrigued me were the one with the psalm and the one involving a new silver fork. I have been on the look-out for real silver forks since then. I guess I need to go somewhere fancy.

I'd like to become a better poet.

My grandfather always mentioned Niccolo Paganini the Italian violinist was rumored to have sold his soul to the devil in exchange for the skill of playing so well. It does appear he was a Scorpio, so I wouldn't put it past him. :P I think this was more the Faustian legend being applied - I found no references to crossroads. There were apparently two Italian violinists who got this reputation in the 1800(s) - Paganini being the more famous and Giuseppe Tartini also in the mix (who supposedly dreamed the devil was playing the violin at the foot of his bed). I ran into one website that claimed it was in Northern Italy that rumors began that Paganini had sold his soul to the devil, but I can't find any account of how he was supposed to have done it. I doubt it was a crossroads, but I do think it's interesting that musical prowess associated with selling your soul to the devil might have originated in Italy?

Makes me wonder if the folk-devil of Italy might have been more benign than the German devil of Faust. There was a Lucifer (I believe) in Italy before he became associated with "Satan" and I think also Faunus took on Pan's horns when the Romans melded their religion with the Greeks. Just thinking maybe the idea of the devil gets meaner the further north you go - and if there was Italian influence at all in the crossroads music ritual. I need to learn more American history. And World History for that matter.
*Pisces Sun, Sag Moon, Gem Rising*
fan of show, CSL member, happy customer, hopeful future student

heartexalted
Forum Member

Unread post by heartexalted » Wed May 02, 2012 7:40 pm

I was thinking of putting some protection magic in place for a crossroads ritual:

-Candle at home burning atop my personal effects (Dressed with Protection and Law Keep Away products)

-Having on my person a mojo or packet for those same two themes

-Depositing a Protection/Law Keep Away mixture or herbal blend at the four corners and center of the crossroads.

Just to keep the law, passers-by, and other interlopers off my back while at the crossroads.

Would that be a good approach, or is there something else/more I might consider doing?

Also, is there a possibility that this protection work could interfere with the crossroad ritual's effectiveness?
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
-Proverbs 8:18

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”