Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Searching forum not always helpful

Ask here for help or report problems with the Lucky Mojo Forum.
adam283

Searching forum not always helpful

Unread post by adam283 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:31 pm

there has been one trend I have seen in many threads on this forum, even my own that bothers me, Im not gonna point fingers and im not posting this just to be a dick but its irritating and im sure a lot of ppl will agree with me..... there are many new people on this forum and there is one thing we all have in common and that is to ask how to use the best LM product for whatever we wish to use it for dealing with hoodoo.......

now the thing is.... for someone to come here and post they have a good idea of what they are trying to do they just dont know how, and not everyone has the time to spend hours searching the forum for a direction, we all know how difficult searching for a subject can be on here since their is a vast entente of knowledge most searches come up with the result that their are too many results to show and leave the person searching lost..... yes there are a lot of people on here who are willing to help and we are all grateful for that....

but there is also a lot who only respond with "this has been discussed search the forum for your answer" to me that is not needed, even if they post a link that is a slap in the face to the person asking for help, when you went through school when did you ever raise your hand to ask the teacher a question and get the answer " look it up your self"

to me if the only advice to give is to search the forums then you may as well just ignore the thread and not even reply!

I myself have gotten the same answer to many threads posted and it makes me not want to ask questions because of it, if it wasnt for those who are willing to be teachers and help guide us in the right direction I would have given up on learning all together!!! and that means I def wouldnt have ordered the products I have from this great company our of sheer frustration.

yes over time we learn to find what we need on the forums once we have a grasp on everything here, and yes we all love what LM has to offer they are the best supplies I have ever found!!!

but in my opinion if you dont have advice to give someone and point them in the direction they are asking (as in which LM spell to use or product to use) then dont post anything at all and make it easier for everyone else, you are not helping anyone by posting to search the forums, all you are doing is discouraging those who honestly want to learn!!!

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Re: this is for everyone

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:42 pm

This has come up before, do a forum search.

I'm kidding, put the pitch fork down,lol. Honestly, their have been many many repetitions of the same question asked, and the person asking really can find their answer just by using the search bar. If they won't take the time to do a search and read a bit, well that's there issue.
HRCC Student #1559

keirith

Unread post by keirith » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:53 pm

Haildiscordia, I see your point, and if a person is interested in a topic, it is a good starting point to do a search, but sometimes it would be nice to revisit a subject and see if there is anything new to add to the topic. As new people come, and older people who are still here become more adept, they may have some additional information to contribute that was not available when the original posts were done. I like to see things fresh and current, and perhaps there is a better way, a more effective method to do something. Maybe they have tried a different combination of oils or spells or whatever and can lend their experience.

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:54 pm

Then let them post, their is no rule saying that when a search is suggested the topic is closed, or if there is I didn't see it when I signed up.
HRCC Student #1559

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:01 pm

I see your point ariella. I agree with adding to information, but when everyone keeps starting new posts it actually makes it harder for the next person that searches it. Hence, why the search option says "too many results" or whatever. So I agree that additional information to the original topic should be made. I think the way to do that is just to continue on the same thread rather than creating a new thread. To ask someone to expand on something is different though from asking the same question.

Also, google is your best friend when trying to search something. So if the LM one doesnt work for you then type Lucky mojo, and whatever you are looking for. I understand asking question is important part of learning. I think some people's questions have been truly insightful, and actually have helped me to learn more so.Part of learning is to do some footwork or researching.

However, repetitive questions are actually against the rules.
See Rules here:faq.php?mode=rules
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

thelightfantastic

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:04 pm

Oh...every forum is like that. Every board has regular posters who get tired of the same old questions (which really do pop up here frequently) and direct the newbies to look it up themselves. Telling someone to actually put forth an effort is hardly a slap in the face. Telling them to look it up themselves and then to go to hell would be a slap in the face.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:28 pm

I am going to weigh on this since I am a moderator. I ignore about 98% of the posts due to redundancy. Do you think that stops people from PMing me with questions? Nope. Due to the fact I have the moderator cap, a lot of people feel my responses are more valid than other forum posters. They maybe right, but I don't answer them anyway.

Do you think i acquired my knowledge by sitting around? Nope. I went out physically and found teachers, who were nowhere near as helpful as I am. I never had the luck of having the Internet back then. I had to scrounge up my teachers by word of mouth and luck. I had to show my teachers I meant business, which means I could not ask stupid questions. You know that line teachers tell students about there being no stupid questions? That's a bunch of B.S. there are tons of stupid questions. Questions that show the poster did not take the time to do any research. I do not think telling someone to try a forum search is a big deal.

Even in teaching, which I do, I know spoon feeding someone does not help him or her. If a person states, "I searched the forum and could not find this (I find highly doubtful by the questions asked) then I look it over. Yes, the forum is daunting but going through it is quite helpful. Heck, you might even learn something! Who would have thunk it?

Having stated the above, please no longer answer posts if it is a redundant question. Just ignore it. The poster will either get up of his or her keister and try a search or will move on.

Cést la vie.

Mary
HRCC Graduate Apprentice #0721GA

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:34 pm

Thank you for giving us a ruling and clearing up this mess for us Mary :)
HRCC Student #1559

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Jan 24, 2010 9:43 pm

I certainly would love to stop reading threads that look as if there is information only to find that all that is there are two or three people saying "this has been discussed before."

On the other hand, the search engine does not work well. For someone to tell me "this has been discussed before" on a question about pillar candles, when what was really remembered was a discussion of votive candles, was not particularly helpful. A pillar candle burns for days, a votive doesn't, and the question has a different implication.

Similarly when I asked about collecting menstrual blood I got some helpful replies AFTER people said it had been discussed-- but so far as I can tell it hadn't been discussed in just that way. I did do a search. I know how to search.

But if you don't put in exactly the right words, you may not get the response the others are so sick of hearing about. Either answer or don't, but to answer JUST to say "this has been discussed" wastes everybody's time. Some questions are not stupid just because they may have existed in a related form before. If I received that kind of attitude from the store I doubt I'd buy products there, or be here now, and I suspect that people who come to a forum and are greeted with verbal equivalents of eyerolls on their first post wont be inspired to search or stay or buy fromn Lucky Mojo, either.

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:29 pm

I agree that the search function on this forum isn't the best. And yes, Google works better, but the problem is that not everybody here is as familiar with how to use google to search a specific site. For someone like me, who has more experience on the internet, seeing the "use google" suggestion was a big "duh" moment for me. But for the middle aged housewife who doesn't use the computer very often, but needs help on something that's eating away at her and just found this forum (through word of mouth or a more basic google search or whatever) might be completely lost when you suggest that to them.

My suggestion would be a major "READ THIS FIRST" thread posted somewhere on the forums in a spot very visible to newbies (maybe even a direct link to it in a welcome pm). The thread can cover how to use google to search the forums. It can have direct links to some of the more common questions (how to start a honey jar, or a vinegar jar, or how to find a reputable rootworker, or.... etc.) Heck, tell the newbies that they have to read it. Then, if somebody posts a question that's been discussed to death or discussed directly in that welcome message, then you really can't complain if they get a "this has already been discussed" type response because they were supposed to have read that already anyway.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

justaskingtoknow

Unread post by justaskingtoknow » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:59 pm

Okay i'm just going to come out and say it; i think this is a sensitivity issue...I have been told to search the forum and then was given a link and it turned out that, yea, someone HAD just asked the same question...did i feel incredibly hurt? NO NOT EVEN A LITTLE...why would i???? Seriously I think it would have been worse if noone had replied at all...but even then i STILL wouldn't have felt insulted...Like Mary said, back in the day pre-internet days, it wasn't easy to learn about things so if you wanted to learn something, you would get your behind off the chair and go out and LEARN...if someone gets insulted because they were told to search the forum and decides off of that that he/she no longer wants to learn magick, well then that's his/her loss and i certainly will NOT feel bad about it...I think this is more about people maybe being a little TOO sensitive because I honestly don't feel insulted when i get told to search the forum...what kmew1315 suggested was really good actually....

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:21 pm

Wonderful suggestion Kevin! Funny thing is there IS a read first or something like that on every single section on the board. But sadly even if we did this we already know people would not read it (i.e. the rules and other pages that have been posted up for people's information) wonderful suggestion though!

and I agree with justaskingtoknow...what did people do BEFORE this forum started? Its only been in existence for a little over a year.

Thread should be locked now. So we can get back to hoodoo.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

ablake

Unread post by ablake » Sun Jan 24, 2010 11:58 pm

I agree. Threads should be locked.

Yet, I am a newbie. When I post questions it has NEVER bothered me that someone answers with a link. I think thats awesome. I asked for help and I got it. This forum is very supportive, helpful, and educational.

Yahoo for this forum!!!

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:20 am

I think that's a great idea, a FAQ that actually has those frequently asked questions in it! Bravo!

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:07 pm

I've been a moderator on other forums and from my experience:

Most people don't read "READ THIS" posts.

Many people are still new to forums in general. Just the other day, one of my business associates said to me, "Have you heard about these websites where people have discussions with other members?" Lots of newbies out there!

I agree that some people sound terse. Just saying, "Do a search," isn't helpful. However, saying, "You might try doing a search," and providing a couple links teaches people how to use the forum.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:14 pm

The search function is not always helpful. I tried searching for threads that mentioned Black Cat Oil and was told that the words were too common.
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:35 pm

cleopatra wrote:The search function is not always helpful. I tried searching for threads that mentioned Black Cat Oil and was told that the words were too common.
That's why it was recommend to use Google, just type in LuckyMojo and the thing your searching for. This is a common problem with forums.
HRCC Student #1559

darknessdescends

Unread post by darknessdescends » Mon Jan 25, 2010 1:41 pm

cleopatra wrote:The search function is not always helpful. I tried searching for threads that mentioned Black Cat Oil and was told that the words were too common.

I know sometimes when i try to look for information it says the same thing. I think if someone says that that question has been asked numerous times and to look it up, you should try and look it up..and if you STILL can't find it, try rephrasing the question or just posting back saying that you couldn't find anything and 99% of the time, i've found someone usually gives a link that will be much help.....I'm not too sure why everyone expect to be spoon fed every single thing....sometimes you gotta work for what you want(which by the way, i really wouldn't call searching through threads "work"...) I feel that this forum has been such a huge help that i wouldn't feel right complaining about something so petty like being told to search the forum...How would people figure out what to do if it wasn't for this forum?? Would they just give up on magick? I had to struggle at the beginning to do magick when i was younger, as my parents were SOOOO against it they would throw everything away, AND i didn't have the internet so everything i wanted to do with magick, i had to work for and fight for....if someone really wants something, they will figure out how to get it, even if there's not much help from anyone else...

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Mon Jan 25, 2010 3:18 pm

I tried to hold my tongue, but just have to butt in with a really simple suggestion for everyone.

Some folks, like me, don't mind answering a question to the point of redundancy. If I feel it is a valid question, I answer. Also, I come from a culture where it would be considered a bit rude to essentially tell someone, "Go find it yourself." There are a few on this site who seem called to teach and who don't mind answering the same question down to the most minute detail. If I feel a question doesn't warrant an answer because it troubles me in some way or if I simply don't know the answer...I don't post. I'm not here to force my beliefs/ opinions/ issues on others. I'm here to learn and share what I know; we all have to depend on each other to keep this dialogue alive and worth having.

I've seen some troubling posts lately from members attacking posters because they were offended by the questions. Folks, hoodoo is not fluffy bunny magick. We're talking blood and bones and graveyard dirt, here. The reason hoodoo is so vital is because it does not deny the darker side of human nature. It is intensely practical in form and function. Let's all try to maintain the decorum. I don't give advice about how to destroy a lawful marriage; neither do I tell those who ask they are wretched humans. It's uncalled for.

For those who prefer not to respond to redundant questions...don't. Paste up a relevant link it you like; that's always very helpful and appreciated. I agree the search function does leave something to be desired on this forum and I trust the moderators will combine redundant threads as necessary to optimize future searches.

The topics and discussions on this forum may well outlast us all. If this is our share of the hoodoo legacy, let's make it a conversation worth listening to...those are my two bits.

The best tales are never told just once,

Michelle
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Mon Jan 25, 2010 4:04 pm

You know what, I read every single "read first." The "read first" does not actually answer all the questions that so irritate people here. This all reminds me of other lists I'm on where some people get so aggravated by certain topics they begin debates about it-- when it's so easy to hit delete. If a question doesn't interest you, ignore it. Meanwhile, other people might find something enlightening in responses.

skyme714

Unread post by skyme714 » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:14 pm

freegirl wrote:I certainly would love to stop reading threads that look as if there is information only to find that all that is there are two or three people saying "this has been discussed before."

Similarly when I asked about collecting menstrual blood I got some helpful replies AFTER people said it had been discussed-- but so far as I can tell it hadn't been discussed in just that way. I did do a search. I know how to search.

But if you don't put in exactly the right words, you may not get the response the others are so sick of hearing about. Either answer or don't, but to answer JUST to say "this has been discussed" wastes everybody's time. Some questions are not stupid just because they may have existed in a related form before. If I received that kind of attitude from the store I doubt I'd buy products there, or be here now, and I suspect that people who come to a forum and are greeted with verbal equivalents of eyerolls on their first post wont be inspired to search or stay or buy fromn Lucky Mojo, either.
I agree with freegirl! I know how to search too!

I do a search on what I need and read A LOT on this forum, and have LOTS of tabs open that interested me to read in the future. It answers most of my questions but sometimes I still have questions left on different angle OR because there are a lot of threads on the same matter - they would only confuse me more, so I want to clarify.

Loved

Unread post by Loved » Sat Jan 30, 2010 9:46 pm

CopperFox wrote:
...The topics and discussions on this forum may well outlast us all. If this is our share of the hoodoo legacy, let's make it a conversation worth listening to...those are my two bits.

The best tales are never told just once,

Michelle
That is a truly awesome statement and made me pause for a moment. It's true - our words are going to be here for a long time. :geek:
It's truly much better to either post a link if you've got it, or just ignore the thread if you are tired of the subject. No use shouting in caps, or prefacing with a jeez or omg.

In Mules and Men, there is a HooDoo lady who has a client that came to her for thirteen years with the same love issue. Each time (as it reads in the book) she simply tells the lady what she can do differently. Doesn't mention that she got upset with her.

All in all, it felt so wonderful when I first stumbled on here and received so much support, advice and concern. That's why I keep coming back ;)

It's so on point that the op titled the post 'this is for everyone'

-PJ

glegette

how do I find the matches to my request

Unread post by glegette » Wed Aug 03, 2011 3:25 pm

According to my search I found 3 matches, however, i cannot locate them. What icon do I search?

JayDee
HRCC Graduate
Re: how do I find the matches to my request

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 03, 2011 10:29 pm

I think it help if you told us what you are searching for and what did not show up.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: how do I find the matches to my request

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:18 am

If you are talking about your previous post, here it is (i-need-a-loan-repaid-t14727.html#p77933) Otherwise, follow j82's advice...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Rabbit Mountain

Search function difficult to use

Unread post by Rabbit Mountain » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:37 pm

I'd just like to let someone know that the search function on this board is terrible. About 85% of the time my search returns nothing but a message saying something to the effect "your words are too common, try again" — even if I have 4 or 5 words in there.

I don't know if there's a sensitivity setting or something that can be turned down, but if there is, it would help a lot.

Thanks much!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Search function is terrible

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:50 pm

Sorry, what we've got is what we've got. It's a free phpBB database. We have not been able to find any sensitivity setting on it, ever.

If someone with real, certified technical skills wants to upgrade us to a newer version and can do so without killing all the old posts and old data, i'm willing to listen and willing to make the change.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

AmaSarah
Re: Search function difficult to use

Unread post by AmaSarah » Fri Jan 27, 2012 8:17 am

Also, just go outside and use google. It works really well. Include the words Lucky Mojo in your search words and it'll reference right back to the forum. That's how I do all my searches now. good luck

Wild at Heart

Unread post by Wild at Heart » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:05 am

Yep, enter Google's search, type: site:www.forum.luckymojo.com, and then enter your search criteria

ThedaBara
Board Search Results Issue

Unread post by ThedaBara » Thu Jul 13, 2017 12:28 pm

The board search function seems to not be bringing up results older than a certain date. I get partial results in the main search or the "search these results/this topic" feature if they're new enough, but if there have been no posts containing the search term in a few months, no results show even though there are definitely hundreds of posts.

Thank you!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Jul 13, 2017 8:00 pm

Hello, ThedaBara ,

I will notify Nagasiva

Sorry
HRCC Graduate #1631

ComeOnInMyKitchen
HRCC Student

Re: Searching forum not always helpful

Unread post by ComeOnInMyKitchen » Tue Dec 22, 2020 11:29 am

Ok, I've tried the search bar as well as did a scan through the last few months of active posts, but am having no luck. Wasn't there a thread asking for suggestions/ideas/wishes for the Free Spell of the Week project? And can someone point my less than tech savvy self in the direction of it? Thank you! :)
But no man yet has seen God's hand, nor yet His fingernails. ~ Hurston
HRCC #2219

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Tue Dec 22, 2020 12:50 pm

"the search bar" - Try this and see if it is different than you tried before:

search.php

It is available at the top-right gear icon on every page. Mouse-over: "Advanced Search".
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

ComeOnInMyKitchen
HRCC Student

Unread post by ComeOnInMyKitchen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:52 am

Thank you nagasiva, I will try it. :)
HRCC #2219

ComeOnInMyKitchen
HRCC Student

Unread post by ComeOnInMyKitchen » Wed Dec 23, 2020 8:54 am

No luck. I must've hallucinated that thread. Lol. Thank you again though. Hope yall are staying safe.
HRCC #2219

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Forum Technical Help -- Post Here for Assistance With Forum Use”