Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Spell Timing: Eclipses and Retrogrades

Ginger777

Spell Timing: Eclipses and Retrogrades

Unread post by Ginger777 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:23 am

I would like to ask your feelings on doing spellwork during Mercury in retrograde. My products are coming this week and I want to be prepared as much as possible. I have two spells I would like to work on at different times for different purposes....one break up...one healing (for a totally different situation). Would break up or cut and clear spells be best during this time? Or would you hold back doing spells at this time? Or...are there certain spells that are best done during this time? Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks!

Msg33

Re: Spell Timing: Eclipses and Retrogrades

Unread post by Msg33 » Sun May 03, 2009 8:26 am

it's like you read my mind, I was just about to make this post :lol:

well since this post was made, I also would like to know if it has an effect on jinxing? also- any effect on honey jar love spell?

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sun May 03, 2009 8:44 am

Well hoodoo in general isn't timed to the planets. Going by astrology is a more of an aspect of European magic traditions. In rootwork many people chose to work by the moon phases, waning to remove something, waxing to draw. Now that's a very general way of putting it but you get the idea. I don't take that kind of thing into account past what days of the week are best suited to doing different kinds of work, and to me those aren't hard and fast rules, I do work when it needs to be done. So no to me mercury going retrograde doesn't effect conjure at all, but that's just me. If you think it effects your then it probably will effect yours.
HRCC Student #1559

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun May 03, 2009 11:05 am

Ginger777

There are some spells that are definitely great during Mercury retrograde, like Inflammatory Confusion or Break Up, Merc in Retro means that communication gets hinky, so any work that is trying to influence communication or especially create miscommunication is great to do during this time.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun May 03, 2009 4:01 pm

Ginger777

I am an astrologer and I do not worry too much about Mercury retrograde with magic. The Mercury retrogades happen so often that I cannot worry too much about them. I was concerned about the Venus retrograde we just experienced and did not do any love work at that time.

Life just does not always correspond with astrological elements sometimes.

Mary

Ginger777

Unread post by Ginger777 » Sun May 03, 2009 7:47 pm

Thanks guys for the advice! When I get my goods, I will work my spell. Thanks again!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun May 03, 2009 9:17 pm

I am a practitioner of hoodoo and an astrologer.. I do not undertake trips or begin new spells that are about Mercurial situations (literature, communication, short trips, etc.) when Mercury is retrograde, For other situations, i am not as particular.

Your mileage may vary.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Ginger777

Unread post by Ginger777 » Mon May 04, 2009 6:19 am

Thanks Cat for the good advice!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:28 am

Anyone working with the moon phases know the significance of the lunar eclipse in spell casting?
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jul 05, 2009 9:53 am

It depends on who you ask. Some say it is a dangerous time to cast spells. Some say it is more powerful.

This New Year's Eve not only falls on the day of a lunar eclipse, but it also a blue moon and the start of a new decade. Should be interesting!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Tue Jul 07, 2009 5:32 am

I read about that cleopatra... Thanks for the input...others?

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:40 am

With a solar eclipse coming this week just wondering if it affects magic in anyway. I just read somewhere that it is the best time for magic but would also like opinion from experienced ppl here. Eg : If we have already started a spell and this happens to be one of the day in the spell are there any good/bad effects?

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:51 am

The eclipse starts tonight Jul 21, 2009 at 11:58 pm GMT (Greenwich Mean Time) and ends tomorrow at 5:12 am GMT. It will be a total solar eclipse and the longest that will occur in the 21st century. It will be visible in northern India, eastern Nepal, southern China, and the Pacific Ocean, including Calcutta, Delhi, Kathmandu, and Shanghai.

To convert GMT to time zones in the US:
Pacific Daylight time subtract 7 hours
Mountain Daylight time subtract 6 hours
Central Daylight Time subtract 5 hours
Eastern Daylight Time subtract 4 hours

theusurper

Unread post by theusurper » Tue Jul 21, 2009 7:26 am

do you think is good idea to start a new honey jar tonight when the eclipse happens. i'm planning to do the second one.

justme99

Unread post by justme99 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:48 pm

I need help w/ a positive thinking spell & a love spell for the eclipse

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Jul 26, 2009 6:24 am

Hi Justme,

So on this forum what we do is help folks learn what Lucky Mojo products are best for them and how to use them. Your question is too general for us to really be able to help you in an effective manner. Try rephrasing it, giving us some details about what you are trying to accomplish, and we will be able to recommend some formulas that may assist you.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

gcn2u

Unread post by gcn2u » Fri Oct 02, 2009 3:53 pm

Someone told me they think that mercury retrogration is still continuing. I'm trying to see if thats true?

Is today still a good time to do spells for love, money, breakup, and removing blocks/negativity?

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Oct 02, 2009 6:14 pm

I want to say the MR ended on the 29th of September although various calendars say different. Anyway, in reference to your 2nd question, spells can be done anytime although some do them according to moon phases, days of the week, astrological factors...etc. etc. If you are working moon phases...the moon is waxing (spells for attraction: love, money) until October 4th when the moon is full. Look at LMs moon phases found here: http://www.luckymojo.com/moonphases.html for further details.

...when the moon is waning...spells are done for negative works...but again spells can be done anytime... for spells done according to the days of the week...do a search on the forum, it has been discussed several times...Good Luck!

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Wed Dec 16, 2009 4:55 pm

I read all the posts about Mercury Retro & some say it affects spellcasting some not. To be on the safer side can we start a spell before Mercury and complete it during Mercury Retro period? The waxing moon phase & MR coincide this month - so is it ok to begin sometime 21st and complete it 29th or so [MR starts on 26th]? These maybe skull controlling candle spells, money or career spells.

cabriellenil
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cabriellenil » Wed Dec 16, 2009 6:44 pm

Yes I'd complete it.

Like you said some workers take MR into consideration while others don't. I'd look at planetary influences while doing work - try to start a love spell on Friday, physic vision work on Monday, etc. - but in the end I do it when it needs to be done. I think I've started love work during MR in the past and the results seemed slightly erratic, but it might be just the target being weird anyway.
HRCC Graduate #1610

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:17 pm

I was under the impression that this kind of stuff doesn't matter as much in hoodoo. If I was looking to start some love work next week, what would be the best day to start? And if I can't get it started next week, what would be the best day after that?
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:20 pm

Remember Mercury Retrograde is all about communication...the lack thereof...slow..confusion...etc. etc.

kmew1315

Unread post by kmew1315 » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:31 pm

So what does that mean? If it starts the 26th, when does it end?
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Dec 16, 2009 11:44 pm

Conjure usually does not religiously follow astrological symbolism. Most conjurers may work with the phases of the moon and the days of the week, but they don't get involved as deeply with astrology. That is not to say that it doesn't happen, I use it in my own work and I know others who do so as well. Its really a matter of personal choice. If you have some skill in astrology and accept its influence on your spellwork then use it, but if you don't then don't worry about things like what's in retrograde.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Thu Dec 17, 2009 1:50 am

Planets are always in retrograde, and its not just Mercury. I would say continue to go along with what you are doing. However, Mercury Retrograde is a great time for break up work because MR is about people getting in arguments, and things of that nature. Communication such as computer, printers, and so on may go array. BUT that does not mean your magic is going to suddenly stop working or go backwards or whatever. It just means that you need to be more mindful of how you are around people,and just PREPARE for mishaps to happen. But crap happens all the time...so thats just life. I agree with conjureman in not worrying about it unless you use the influences in your work.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Sat Dec 19, 2009 2:51 pm

Thank you everyone for your views!!!

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 6:59 am

Is there a candle to burn for Mercury Retrograde protection?? I'm very susceptible to this, the last one I had a fight with my love, I work as a writer and already have issues with attachments being stripped etc. Just learned that mercury goes in retrograde today until Jan. 15 and then there are effects until Feb. 4.

Now, as I'm working a separation, I hope that will work in my favor for that, but want to protect myself from ill effects. any suggestions?

THANKS!

i'm working with an AIRR rootsworker who oks petition candles, so just looking at petition candles and not other spellwork. :)

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 12:58 pm

Hi there, posted this under candles as well, thought I'd reach out to a more general population-- what do you do to protect yourself during Mercury Retrograde? do you have ideas to turn it to your favor? I'm a Virgo and a writer and sensitive to it, historically, though I'm hoping it will work in my favor for a separation.

Is there a petition candle particularly appropriate?

Literarylioness
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sat Dec 26, 2009 1:35 pm

freegirl

I would just do general protection. Be aware of the retrograde, but don't live by it. If you can stay away from certain communications, then stay away from them. If you need to write, then write.

Mary

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 2:28 pm

Thanks, Mary. What kind of candle would you suggest-- a white one, a blue one? any particular petition at LM? (I am planning to do a St. Francis for my kitty and some separation work already...)

I am a writer so I have to write...but will try to avoid quarrels, misunderstandings and so on.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Dec 26, 2009 8:19 pm

You can light a Blessing candle or Peaceful Home, and Road Opener which will counter the effects of broken and messed up communication.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:10 pm

Umm...how are you going to protect yourself from a planet and its influences? I mean i understand easing the influences, but it seems like it would be rather difficult to protect yourself from a planet we cannot control. Seems rather odd to me. The best way to make it through MR is to plan ahead. Do not wait until the last minute to print out a paper as your printer may fail. But we have talked about MR already,and I do not want to cause havoc on this forum.

But it just seems rather odd that we can control a planet that is apart of our universe. I mean sometimes the universe says no to certain situations. If we could influence or deflect the planetary influences then more people Im sure would do work towards controlling things from the planets.

My advice to you is...plan ahead and perhaps visit some old writing projects you have abandoned, or ideas you have abandoned. Although you maybe sensitive to MR, that does not mean your creative process comes to a halt. I would try revisiting some places in the past that have inspired you, and continue to cleanse yourself. In the future, if you can help it you need to prepare for mercury retrograde rather than waiting during MR to do tasks.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Dec 26, 2009 9:20 pm

You asked this question already in another section. It is not necessary to post it in another. In addition, you should ask the AIRR how to help you with this. In addition, MR is about being PREPARED. YOU know its coming 3 times a year so obviously you need to prepare for it. But really stop freaking out (please do not take offense to my use of freaking out) so much about, the more you freak out the more you get rewarded with more crap to freak out about.

In addition, to your attachments being stripped...now you know you need to save things in multiple ways. Have many different avenues to send things. If you need to send it through mail or fax then do so. If you need to send mulitiple copies, then do so. Do not wait until the last minute either. In addition, you need to be aware that crap happens 24/7 so it might just be your computer.

To everyone else....please do not freak out about MR. Its all about revisiting and revising. In addition, its about being more prepared so just do that and you will be fine. Embrace MR if you do that...it will not be as bad as people make it out to be.

Also, retrogrades are happening ALL the time. Some people just make MR more of a huge deal than they should. Work through this time, prepare as you always should be.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Dec 26, 2009 10:07 pm

Its not about controlling the planet, but rather the subtle influences that are represented in the celestial in the form of a planet. While we talk about Mercury, we are discussing the subtle influences that begin in the divine, take form in the fixed stars, then take shape in the traditional "planets." Its not the planets, but rather their movements that represent a hidden, subtle influence that is occuring on planes beyond normal sight. Such is the basis of hermetic thought and astrological magick.

Nevertheless, You are most correct. Retrogrades are occuring all the time, we need not panic about them. This fear of MR has resulted from incomplete misinformation that results from shody research done by new age "modern" astrologers. If you feel good about putting up a few more protections to ease the influences, then do so. Otherwise be aware of the forces at work and relax and ride the "waves" ;-).

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:01 pm

Well, yes, it's about protecting myself from influences that might harm me, not about stopping the retrograde itself, of course. I am sensitive to barometric shifts, and often get migraines when they occur. Many other people are not, and would not need any healing (whether in the form of a candle or migraine medicine). I often can't sleep during a full moon, that's a planetary influence too, but I can mitigate that through magical or non-magical way. I do try to plan ahead, but the trouble with MR is that i's don't get dotted, t's don't get crossed; it's like trying to proofread oneself (bad idea). As a Virgo (ruled by Mercury) and a writer (ditto) I have noticed MR's effects on my life, and came here for assistance. Now that I've explained, I hope it no longer "seems odd" to you. As a professional writer, I can't do all my "tasks" in advance of MR.

I I'm a journalist with deadlines and many editors to work with and not enough hours in the day. There are interviews to happen, subjects to contact, facts to check, contracts to sign. I have noticed that during mercury retrograde messages get mislaid or misunderstood, quarrels get started, misunderstandings happen. I don't understand why we think we can protect ourselves from some forces and not from others.

So again, if anyone has a suggestion for an appropriate candle, I'd love to hear it. I"m leaning towards a simple protection or maybe even a mercury candle.

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:11 pm

Hmm, maybe being attacked in two places is also Mercury retrograde in action. I'm pretty new to the boards, and posted here first, then realized the other forum gets a lot more attention. I thought I had mentioned that there, but if I forgot to, I apologize. I'm not sure why you would say I'm "freaking out" just because I asked for help and suggestions. I came here for help with the right candle and guidance on magical protection, not advice about how to email my editors or about my computer. Maybe this is a sore point for you, given the vehemence and tone of your posts.

As far as asking my AIRR rootsworker, she's working on a particular project for me; she's not on retainer for my every concern. I really didn't think asking for a suggestion of which candle might help was out of line, even if my concerns don't seem that important to you, they are to me.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Dec 26, 2009 11:58 pm

A Mercury candle is a good idea. You can create a small triangle of vigil candles that you use to surround a picture of yourself. I'd use a Protection Candle, Mercury, and Blessing candle to help mitigate the effects you normally feel, while keeping the lines of communication open, and keeping you open and receptive to the positive side of Mercury. The blessing will also help ensure your projects get through on time. Good luck.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:15 am

freegirl

This happens to everyone during mercury retrograde. That's why Mercury retrograde is all about knowing that this is going to happen. Fights and quarrels are expected so if you plan ahead for them such as being very clear when talking with someone...not cracking jokes or what not because people can be more sensitive at this time. I mean things have to go on during MR like Mary said above, and like Conjure man said you have to ride the waves. And with this being MR it seems that I must clarify myself. The way I interpreted this question is that you are basically trying to protect yourself from things from happening. A planet to me is a huge force, and little ol me is not going to be able to completely control a planet, which is how I see you saying this question. If that is not what you are saying, then that is fine. But lighting a candle dedicated to Mercury will help the influences and help ease it however, its not going to completely stop these things from happening.

Really its just better to know how to "ride the waves" as Conjure man said. As for the "odd" comment, that was not directed towards you personally, it was odd to me that someone could control a planet's influence. MR is all about double checking your "i's and t's" more than you normally would.

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun Dec 27, 2009 3:35 am

Both of my posts were not anywhere near the point of attacking you (its not that serious for me to attack anyone on here) You are misinterpreting and adding tone to posts that are not even there. My choice of words were not correct for this situation I need to change my language I guess, and to remember that like you said are more susceptible to Mercury retrograde. I will keep that in mind. In addition, if I did not see this as important I would not have commented. I just know some people are going to have major concern, and feel like they're work may fail or what not due to Mercury retrograde. Im not saying don't talk about it, however, things need to be clarified on the pros and cons of Mercury retrograde as well.

I apologize to say you are freaking out. Some people tend to post in more than one section when they are in a panic. In addition, the comment about the attachment strip was not a hit towards you about how to email. It was about how to use some non-magical means to prepare for MR. Sometimes use of non-magical means is just as good as lighting a candle.

The comment about working with your AIRR rootworker was said because she could probably give you some great ideas and address your concerns with Mercury retrograde. I just thought that could provide some additional help since you are already getting help from them.

Guess this is a classic case of Mercury retrograde effects, and now I know I must be more careful in how I explain things.

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:02 am

Hi Starsinthesky, yep, that's classic for me, and thank you. I am overreacting sensitiviely too, and I've noticed that kind of thing (for ME) during MR. You are right of course that I should be vigilant about the material world too. And one thing I can do, knowing that I'm prone to this during MR, is to try to slow down my responses and posts in general. Pax.

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sun Dec 27, 2009 6:04 am

Thanks, I understand better now. I will try to light a candle to help ease the influences on me, knowing that it's going to be a bit like that anyway, something that will maybe help me be calm, tolerant, an extra dose of largeness of spirit and relaxation. For example, I just got an edit back this morning, and it's fine, but knowing we're in MR I'm going to triple-check every fact I wrote, making no assumptions! :)

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jan 10, 2010 5:35 pm

While some workers use the moon phases and to enhance their work, some workers do not. Personally, I find the waning and waxing moon phases enhance spell work according to the type of work e.g., waning moon for removing/banishing and waxing moon for drawing spell work.

As for specific work during the solar eclipse… I am not familiar…

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Jan 10, 2010 10:05 pm

Hoodoo symbolism is pretty subjective and it doesn't have set dogma about it. This is especially applied to timing. Each conjurer will work things a little differently. If you want to perform something during a solar eclipse consider break up work, banishing, creating ill-health, crossing, and binding/blinding work.

I know that in other systems solar eclipses and similar astronomical phenomenon are used for rather potent work.

nknk2

Unread post by nknk2 » Mon Jan 11, 2010 8:59 pm

CM, you are right. I searched sights on Solar Eclipse and it seems people consider it quite potent time. Some say you can crunch your manifestation process by doing spells during Solar Eclipse.

That made me curious.

thanks for your suggestion.

Crescent Moon

Unread post by Crescent Moon » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:02 pm

Will my honey jars get the Fullest, Greatest, most Powerful effect during a total Eclipse? I light my candles for my honey jars on tomorrow, I hear there will be a Eclipse too...

What are the best spells to do during this time?
Happy I found LM I love this place
Thank You St. Expedite 4 help and St. Michael 4 protection

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sat Jul 10, 2010 7:37 pm

Interesting info...just posting here so I can save the thread in my posts for future reference.
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Jul 10, 2010 8:12 pm

I was just reading these today as I learned about the solar eclipse. Good information if you work according to moon phases...or not!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:46 am

I was taught NEVER to cast a spell for progress, travel, or increase during a solar eclipse. It is literally a time of darkness. THINK ABOUT IT. The only power there is the power of the Sun being blotted out by the moon -- day eclipsed by night. I could tell you some hair-raising stories about accidents and deaths during solar eclipses.

I think only a person very out of touch with nature would try to use the energy of a solar eclipse for a love spell, for instance. Total folly, as far as i'm concerned.
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 11, 2010 3:52 am

Starting a honey jar during an eclipse is ridiculous. Whoever suggested that is a fool. Haven't you all ever read anything about how eclipses were viewed with horror by people who lived in nature -- not in stupid cities where bright lights "solve" all the problems that darkness may bring?

Sometimes i think people dumb enough to go against 3,000 years of astrological information and belief deserve to watch their efforts fail. Darwinian spell-casting. Evolution in action.

Look, casting a sweet honey jar love spell while THE SUN IS BEING BLOTTED OUT is like crossing a street during a red light. Sure, you know that your mother, and your father, and your grandparents, and your teachers, and even your better-trained friends told you not to do it, but -- whoa! THE POWER OF CROSSING AGAINST THE LIGHT! YEAH! I'M GONNA MAKE A RUN FOR IT! .

Stupid.
catherine yronwode

RJLupin

Unread post by RJLupin » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:20 am

path2success"

The only magic I would EVER do during an eclipse would be some kind of extreme banishing. The waning moon is the time for removing/dispelling unwanted energies; the dark of the moon (and I would definitely include an eclipse here) is not a good time to be trying for anything positive. Since you're trying to basically improve someone's feelings towards you (definitely a growth spell) I would only star it during the waxing moon. It's how I learned it, and how most people teach it.

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 4:33 am

catherineyronwode

I can totally understand the need to pull back from any drawing/attracting/positive work during a solar eclipse, but am I correct in thinking it would be a very potent time for banishing/cursing/reversing work? Especially given the New Moon tonight?

And also, what do you advise in regards to a lunar eclipse? Should no work be done? Should it be treated as a New Moon?
Thanks and Praise to Dr. Hernandez, St. Jude and St. Anthony for all you have done, and continue to do on my behalf. My eternal thanks to you for your many blessings!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:04 am

I'm gonna say it one more time, and if you don't believe me, just try it yourself, okay?

"POTENT" is the WRONG word to use here. You are all on about "power" and "potency." Why? Where is the "power" in WHAT IS HAPPENING IN THE SKY? (Not in your mind -- in NATURE.) Look, we harness our energies to nature, we cast dark spells by night and bright spells by day, we work with the tides, we work with the waxing and waning of the Moon.

So here's an eclipse. The Sun (or the Moon, either) is being blotted out. It's influence is temporarily STOPPED. Where is the "potent" power? GONE!

MY GOD, THE SUN IS GONE!!!!!

The message Nature is sending is about STOPPING (for a moment) the natural order of events.

Then -- THANK GOD! -- time moves on and the eclipse rolls past, and everything "comes back" to normal. Rituals and ceremonies of people who live in Nature (obviously you do not!) are all about helping the Sun or Moon come back. They are about not starting anything new -- never travel, never start a new job, never get married, never cast a spell you want to have go on -- while the brief "time out" of the eclipse is in the sky.

You all really don't get this, do you? You're like a pack of kids playing school with chalk on a blackboard. You think that if you say, "Hey, i'll play the teacher!" then the other kids will say, "Cool! and i'll play the student!" But it's not like that. 8,000 years of human civilization and sorcery say that you are wrong.

Go ahead, make your own little play-world. Tell folks that "hoodoo is subjective" or some other bull shit. Play the sorcerer, play the conjurer, play the little pipsqueak mage. But Nature is still Nature and if you want to get right with the ebb and flow of Nature's grand movements, don't try to tell me that eclipses are a "potent" time to cast spells. They are NOT. They are a time to look beyond your own little petty concerns, to look at the big picture, and to wonder -- what would happen if the Sun should disappear?

Look! The Sun is being swallowed by a Dragon!

"Oh goody! I'm gonna cast a love spell! Then Skippy will really love me!"

NO! I said the Sun, giver of Life, is being swallowed by a Dragon!

"Oh, right! I get it! I'll cast a hate spell on Skippy's new girlfriend!"

NO! I SAID THE SUN OUR FATHER-MOTHER, GIVER OF LIFE ON EARTH, IS BEING SWALLOWED BY A DRAGON!

"Uh ... you mean i can't cast a potent hoodoo spell of powerful sorcerous voodoo magic santeria right now?"

That's right, kiddo. You can't. 'Cause THE SUN, giver of life, light of our world, all-father-all-mother, blessed source of you and me and Skippy and his new girlfriend and everyone else in the mall where you hang out instead of hanging out in Nature like you should because your idiot forebears decided to all have five or more children instead of a couple of children and now there's no Nature left, just a great spewing oil well that's blotting out the Gulf of Mexico (but don't worry, the shrimp are still safe to eat and so are the sea turtles, no doubt) IS BEING BLOTTED OUT.

"But I want to cast a powerful hoodoo voodoo palo santeria spell that will bring pain to someone! Can't i do that now? Wouldn't this be a great time for that, what with it being so powerful and potent and DARK and all?"

Sure, but it will be UNDONE in less than an hour. Everything done in an eclipse gets UNDONE. The light comes back, you know. The Sun does triumph over the Dragon.

Follow the bouncing ball:

The Sun gets swallowed by a Dragon -- it is a time of terror and darkness. That's why we never travel, get married, start a new job, or cast a love or money spell during an eclipse.

The Sun returns to life and all is restored. That's why we never cast a break-up or death spell during an eclipse.

We never START ANYTHING during an eclipse. Not for good, not for bad.

Instead, we devote ourselves to observation, prayer, and awe.

Do you get it now?
catherine yronwode

Maljen

Unread post by Maljen » Sun Jul 11, 2010 6:48 am

I certainly get it now :) Nothing going on during any eclipse, aye aye! And at least for my part, I apologize. I do come from an eclectic neopagan background, and there is more than a good amount of misinformation out there, even for those of us who tried to weed through the worst of it when we were first learning. The correspondence pages in my notebook I've started now has in big letters "NO WORK DURING AN ECLIPSE!" at the top of the first page.

I'll stick to mundane stuff like putting away laundry and cleaning out the fridge for the day! ;-)

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:33 am

There is a solar eclipse today from 17.09 GMT to 21.57 GMT, although it will only be visible in the southern tips of Argentina and Chile and some islands in the South Pacific.

I'd suggest just lighting some devotional candles today and as Miss Cat said, postponing spellwork for another day.

Phoenix333

Unread post by Phoenix333 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 7:53 pm

I wholeheartedly agree with the caveats about eclipses listed above. I was always taught the influence of eclipses and their cycle lasted for many weeks; is this the case in hoodoo, or would a spell cast a few days ago, or a few days from now, be ok?

Tabbylove17
HRCC Student

Unread post by Tabbylove17 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 11:10 pm

My mentor never does spells on eclipses whether it's lunar or solar. He feels that eclipses blocks some of the energy when people do spells and such.
Ask, Believe, Receive!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 12, 2010 1:09 am

To Madame_Phoenix :

No, I have never heard that the effect of an eclipse extends for weeks or even days. That idea makes no sense in terms of astrology. We limit the orb of influence of planets to be tighter than that.

The Moon spends only 2 1/2 days in each sign. Since all eclipses occur as a result of relationships between the Earth, Moon, and Sun, the Moon's rapid movement through the signs means that eclipses are in and out pretty quickly.

Study some astrology and you'll see what I mean.
catherine yronwode

Elveta

Unread post by Elveta » Mon Jul 12, 2010 7:42 am

Cat: I have a Fire of Love vivil candle going that I lit yesteday. Should I put it out and relight it after eclipse is over?

LilCassandra

Unread post by LilCassandra » Mon Jul 12, 2010 8:33 am

I'm in the same boat. I lit a Chuparrossa candle two days ago and it's only 1/3 done. Not sure if I should douse it and restart it? :-/.

Elveta

Unread post by Elveta » Mon Jul 12, 2010 12:49 pm

I extinquished mine. I'll relight it tomorrow.

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”