Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Sabbatic Goat (Baphomet) Candle Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
whistler2

Sabbatic Goat (Baphomet) Candle Questions and Answers

Unread post by whistler2 » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:14 am

I've noticed there isn't any topics related to the Sabbatic Goat (Baphomet) candles. I am mildly curious about them and am wondering if anyone who has used them could shed a little light (pun intended) on them.

Would you employ it just as a devil figure candle or are they something completely different?

I have read the HITAP page about them, just looking for more info.

Cheers

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Sabbatic Goat (Baphomet) Candle Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 01, 2013 2:22 am

The image in which these candles are cast is derived from a drawing made by Eliphas Levi during the 19th century. The image has always been ambiguous in nature, appearing "evil" to some viewers and "powerful" or even "sexually lustful" to other viewers. It is the same image that influenced several versions of the Devil card in various tarot decks, but it is not an image of the usual European figure known as the Devil.

Folks who buy this candle, either in red or in black, have a variety of motivations. They may be members of the O.T.O., or influenced by Eliphas Levi or Aleister Crowley, or wish to use it with two human figures to recreate the scene on the Rider-Waite-Smith tarot's Devil card, or they may be Satanists, or practice demonolatry in some other form.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Tue Jan 01, 2013 9:01 am

I personally never worked with these candles myself, but have met some Satanists who would work with these candles in their rituals as Miss Cat has mentioned.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Wed Jan 02, 2013 5:54 pm

I recently used this candle, but not in a Hoodoo context.

In my magical tradition (Feri), the Baphomet is sometimes used to represent the union of all opposites: The figure is female (having breasts) and male (having horns and a phallus), S/He is both human and animal, one hand points above and the other below. S/He is also all four elements: Earth (the goat), Air (the wings), Fire (the torch) and water (in Levi's image there are scales near the phallus).

I annointed it with oils and powders related to both dark and light spirits (again, opposites). It was an experience watching it burn. At one point I left the room, came back, and the candle had melted so that the flame was emerging from the figure's head like the torch in the drawing, with the wax horns still intact and framing the flame. Powerful!

The purpose of this working was for aid in better understanding and integrating my own shadow; in reconciling my own inner opposites. It was a beautiful candle, and I kept it on my altar as a sacred image for quite some time before performing the work, because I became rather fond of it. It isn't a creepy image to me, but then again I'm a scorpio :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jan 02, 2013 6:21 pm

Jibrael, thank you for that interesting look at the Baphomet figural candle as androgynous and alchemical in symbol.

As you know, we stock many items in the shop from a variety of traditions and religio=cultural paradigms, and this is one such item, for sure.
catherine yronwode

whistler2

Unread post by whistler2 » Sat Jan 05, 2013 11:01 am

Heyas,
Thanks everyone for your input.

This was indeed a facinating look into this candle.

Apollo Dark
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Apollo Dark » Sat Jan 05, 2013 4:57 pm

Jibrael wrote:I recently used this candle, but not in a Hoodoo context.

In my magical tradition (Feri), the Baphomet is sometimes used to represent the union of all opposites: The figure is female (having breasts) and male (having horns and a phallus), S/He is both human and animal, one hand points above and the other below. S/He is also all four elements: Earth (the goat), Air (the wings), Fire (the torch) and water (in Levi's image there are scales near the phallus).

I annointed it with oils and powders related to both dark and light spirits (again, opposites). It was an experience watching it burn. At one point I left the room, came back, and the candle had melted so that the flame was emerging from the figure's head like the torch in the drawing, with the wax horns still intact and framing the flame. Powerful!

The purpose of this working was for aid in better understanding and integrating my own shadow; in reconciling my own inner opposites. It was a beautiful candle, and I kept it on my altar as a sacred image for quite some time before performing the work, because I became rather fond of it. It isn't a creepy image to me, but then again I'm a scorpio :)
That is quite birlliant and beautiful.

The Baphomet represents to me the unlocking of inner power, and true knowledge of self and how you interact with the world.

Perhaps in a Hoodoo comparison, the Baphomet is sort of like John the Conqueror meets Crucible of Courage, Road Opener, and King Solomon's Wisdom.
AIRR Member
SID# 1583 Graduated Apprentice

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:04 pm

Or the Dark Man at the Crossroads. LOL!
catherine yronwode

Apollo Dark
HRCC Grad-Apprentice

Unread post by Apollo Dark » Tue Jan 15, 2013 2:02 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Or the Dark Man at the Crossroads. LOL!
Indeed, another fitting representation. Infact there are those that make Pacts with the Baphomet, much like those that make Pacts at the Crossroads. Or so it is alleged.
AIRR Member
SID# 1583 Graduated Apprentice

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”