Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Bible Verses Psalms Prayer Scripture Questions and Answers

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Bible Verses Psalms Prayer Scripture Questions and Answers

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Mar 08, 2012 4:56 pm

You can have lights set at MISC, which is affiliated with Lucky Mojo. Just order under Candles.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:38 am

Of course you can just pray whenever you feel moved to. :)

And if you also want to set lights for your petition, then you can do so through Lucky Mojo as Mama Micki suggests.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

masteredfate
Forum Member

Unread post by masteredfate » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:06 pm

I was reading post on the site and thinking and I was wondering if anyone has come up with a good way to temper your work. It's so much like cooking..too much of this or that, you could get too much of what you want.

Do you think using the strongest spell against the timing of the moon (doing it at a less favorable moon phase), or in retrograde planet phases can help to taper the end result?

Using half the herbs called for..or a smaller candle?

Just curious what you all have experienced.

Thank you!

Natasha

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:52 pm

Natasha / masteredfate,

Your question makes no sense to me. A good rootworker, like a good cook, a good love-maker, or a good filmographer has some God-given talents, and then learns to focus them to achieve the result intended.

One does not tie one's hand behind one's back to make "less intense" films or "less spicy" food. One simply adjusts one's mental state.

It's a matter of focus, attention, and prayer, not hanging some sort of ten pound lead weight from your penis to avoid getting an erection.

LOL!
catherine yronwode

masteredfate
Forum Member

Unread post by masteredfate » Sat Mar 24, 2012 8:21 pm

I like to use the full moon for pretty much everything. I have never really done work to benefit myself, just others- typically protections, cleansings, binding people from doing harm or healings. I prepare by protecting my entire house (sage, incense, prayer), creating a sacred space (no alter at present- need space for that in my new home), breathing and taking a few minutes to clear my mind. I've found when you believe in what you are doing, no matter what else is going on in your life, it's easy to foucs and make it happen.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:41 pm

Having lights set at MISC is an excellent idea as they offer an incredible candle service, but petitioning Saints simply through prayer, a few beautiful offerings (like flowers or milagros) and a petition is perfectly appropriate too!
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

masteredfate
Forum Member

Unread post by masteredfate » Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:56 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:masteredfate,

Your question makes no sense to me. A good rootworker, like a good cook, a good love-maker, or a good filmographer has some God-given talents, and then learns to focus them to achieve the result intended.

One does not tie one's hand behind one's back to make "less intense" films or "less spicy" food. One simply adjusts one's mental state.

It's a matter of focus, attention, and prayer, not hanging some sort of ten pound lead weight from your penis to avoid getting an erection.

LOL!
I understand your thought process. But a good cook would change the amount of cumin/chili powder/whatever to make something less spicy. Thanks for your response.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sun Mar 25, 2012 9:10 pm

You could also join the Crystal Silence League -- in my experience, a crystal ball gives you great focus in prayer. And you'll get dozens of other praying for you, too!
I don't see why you couldn't use a crystal ball and a holy card in place of a candle.

Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele
Forum Moderator - Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:40 am

Natasha / masteredfate,

No, you are still not getting what i said. You asked if working against the moon or during retrogrades was "a good way to temper your work," in order to avoid producing "too much of what you want." I said it was not a good idea, that you must not rely on counter-activities in nature to control the aspects of spell casting that you should learn to control by use of your own mind.

You also asked if using "a smaller candle" would help prevent this problem of getting "too much of what you want."

I said that one does not "tie one's hand behind one's back" to avoid making spicy food.

This was in DIRECT AND BLUNT CONTRADICTION to your concept that one should work against the moon or during retrogrades or use smaller candles or otherwise set natural processes or physical equipment to working against one's otherwise uncontrolled or over-powerful spells in order to get the "just right" amount of what you want.

You then countered by saying that a good cook would not use too much spice.

Well, DUH. That is exactly what i said in the first place. But it is the MIND of the cook -- not some obscure counter-force in nature or buying smaller amounts of spice -- that allows the cook to select the right amount of spice in the first place.

The first step is to control your own mind. It is YOUR mind that decides how much spice to add to the curry. You cannot, should not, and must not rely on an adverse moon aspect, a retrograde, or a tiny spice bottle to somehow make the food less spicy. YOU are the one casting the spell.

Until you understand this completely, you will continue to make problems for yourself as a conjure worker and in life in general.

Sorry to be so harsh, but you are waaaaaaay off in left field on this one and as a responsible teacher, i cannot countenance it.

Please also read the thread on spells "back-firing," because your entire concept of "getting too much of what you ask for" is part of the "backfiring" paradigm that anti-magical people use when writing fiction about magic. That thread is here:

Can Spells Back-Fire, Blow Back, Reverse On Me, or Harm Me?
can-spells-back-fire,-blow-back,-revers ... --t40.html

Also please read the thread on the concept of "spell overload," another obsession of those who are insecure in their minds and bring that insecurity to their spell work:

Too Many Spells at Once? Overload? Interval Between Spells?
too-many-spells-at-once-overload-interv ... t6140.html

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

hapinys
Forum Member

Unread post by hapinys » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:29 am

Nice.

masteredfate
Forum Member

Unread post by masteredfate » Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:26 pm

I've never had a spell backfire because I am good at focusing. I don't know why my question made you so angry. I've been doing work for 11 years and I have always been successful, except once because the subject was afraid being protected from an abuser was a curse and blocked the work from completing. I am not new to energy work, magick, spirits or divination. I was just trying to have a conversation and you smited me down in front of a group of people I hoped to make friends with.

I don't think the question was out of line. There is a different result behind one spell over another. Some spells blow the roof off the house, while others just rattle some cages. I was asking if other practitioners felt that happened due to the length of candle burning, amount of steps, herbs, etc. You could have just said in your lifetime of experience, you have learned it is strictly the mind and a tiny taper and a handful of herbs is just as powerful as a 7 day candle with 3 baths and 13 herbs and daily prayers in the hands of a well-focused person. I am not wet behind the ears, but I am human enough to recognize that I am not all knowing and I can always learn something new from people who are more experienced.

You didn't have to be mean. I didn't deserve that.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:59 pm

masteredfate, I am not sure how you interpreted what cat said as her beating you down in front of people. You ask a question and she gave a rather thorough and indepth explanation. There was no personal attack against you, she simply stated why from the prespective of conjure your idea of trying to limit or tempering your work by working it in a contrary fashion (using a contrary timing) is off.

It is great that you are not new to this work. You asked for ideas about this concept in conjure and was shown how it does not fit out our spiritual logic in this tradition.

Don't take it personally, but as an education into how things are done in rootwork.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:16 pm

Natasha / masteredfate,

I am not "angry." I am a very direct and blunt speaker, and i think i explained that.

You wrote: "You could have just said in your lifetime of experience, you have learned it is strictly the mind and a tiny taper and a handful of herbs is just as powerful as a 7 day candle with 3 baths and 13 herbs and daily prayers in the hands of a well-focused person."

Actually, i would never say that because that's not what i think is true.

I do not believe at all, in any way, that it is "strictly the mind" that determines the outcome of a spell.

1) In my tradition, and i speak here of hoodoo, not other forms of magic, we work with herbs, which are considered to be spiritual entities and allies in our work. They bring their power and vitality to our work, independent of our "minds."

2) We work by the Moon, stars, Sun and other natural forces, which are considered to have tremendous spiritual power, functioning like the tides in a body of water, enabling us to swim faster or retarding our progress, independent of our "minds."

3) We don't place a premium on the costliness of the goods, so a small light is no more a "light" than a large one -- but we DO consider the amount of personal spiritual effort and energy that a practitioner brings to the work, and so, as we see it, bathing for 13 days certainly requires more dedication and focus than bathing for one day, which is why a 13 day series of baths may be recommended over a one-day bath, for certain people, under certain circumstances.

I am sorry you think that i was trying to damage you; i am actually trying to be extremely explicit in replying to you, because your basic premises about what magical practice is and how it works are highly different than mine (probably due to training within different cultural systems of practice) and your attempts to restate my beliefs to me have so far proven faulty, and since i am a teacher here, i must correct you, lest by not stating my objections clearly, my students will think that you have revealed something about my beliefs, teachings, or procedures which is, in fact, not the case.
catherine yronwode

masteredfate
Forum Member

Unread post by masteredfate » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 pm

Cat,

Thanks for the explanation. I was trained using Wiccan methodology. I've had spells work in as little as a week, but typically it's 2 weeks to 30 days (not planned, just the way my energy has moved and grooved). I would like to learn how to direct my energy better to create faster outcomes when necessary. I've grown so accustomed to trusting my work to work in its own time without putting a time limit on it, but I know there's value to speed on occasion, and I think you and everyone's knowledge and experience could help me to better embrace that.

Hope you have a blessed week. :)

Natasha

Runner
Forum Member

Unread post by Runner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:26 am

Sorry if I post this in the wrong forum.. I have a question. When we post to the forum's do the root doctor's from here that monitor the forum's products needed spells and so forth? . Are they able to pick up the what is really going on behind the questions that we ask? I believe some do.. what are other people's thoughts on this.. Curious to know...

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:29 am

Runner wrote:Sorry if I post this in the wrong forum.. I have a question. When we post to the forum's do the root doctor's from here that monitor the forum's products needed spells and so forth? . Are they able to pick up the what is really going on behind the questions that we ask? I believe some do.. what are other people's thoughts on this.. Curious to know...
I would say "no," or "not usually," unless the spirit is unusually strong between your need and a rootworker's gifts.

As I see it, you're basically asking whether rootworkers do a reading on every post. The answer is no, because the discernment you describe requires a pretty high level of focus and attention. So if you want a rootworker's full attention, schedule a reading :)
Hope this helps,

Miss Michaele

Runner
Forum Member

Unread post by Runner » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:49 pm

Thank you for the quick reply. I understand. Just wondered if it has happened . Because some people go into great detail when they make posts to the forum.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:03 pm

Runner wrote:Just wondered if it has happened . Because some people go into great detail when they make posts to the forum.
Well, the more details folks supply, the more underlying issues are unveiled. Sometimes it enables the experienced rootworkers who post here to prescribe with a high degree of detail. That's more a matter of knowing the work than exercising psychic gifts to see into a stranger's soul.

Miss Michaele

Jinglepop
Forum Member

Unread post by Jinglepop » Sun May 06, 2012 9:22 pm

I do that sometimes too. Whenever I feel the presence of spirits strongly, I will start crying. When doing conjure, I don't only use my force of will, but my emotions as well! Glad to see this thread, I don't feel so much like a black sheep anymore!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed May 09, 2012 12:20 pm

This is natural and will happen with many different types of spiritual work.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

ckolb
Forum Member

Unread post by ckolb » Wed May 09, 2012 3:59 pm

This is an amazing thread.
I'm a bit embarrassed, but even though I'm not new to Lucky Mojo or to Hoodoo I am new to this forum and really didn't know what I was missing.

The posts on the first page or two by Cat and Conjureman Ali were incredibly helpful and shed a LOT (for me) of light on the process and filled in some holes in my practice that I knew where there but have never been able to directly identify.

Also, as someone raised Presbyterian (pretty much the exact opposite of the emotional form of worship in a Baptist church) and left the church as a pre-teen I have to say that I am very grateful for the links to the Baptist Deacon's prayer.

In regards to Lucky Mojo products, last year I bought Mikhail Strabo's book on prayer which was very helpful for me and years ago now I bought Draja Mickaharic's book "Practice of Magic" which had some really good information on the place of prayer in natural magic and some basic ideas on developing one's capacity for authentic prayer.
I feel that these books have helped me a great deal in learning to pray effectively for both mysticism/spirituality and magic, but I suspect (to be tested) that working with the cadence and expression demonstrated in the Baptist Deacon's prayer video will be especially helpful in spellwork and in affecting the 'outer world.'
“Love is the magician that pulls man out of his own hat.” -Ben Hecht

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri May 11, 2012 9:10 am

MissMichaele wrote:
I would say "no," or "not usually," unless the spirit is unusually strong between your need and a rootworker's gifts.

As I see it, you're basically asking whether rootworkers do a reading on every post. The answer is no, because the discernment you describe requires a pretty high level of focus and attention. So if you want a rootworker's full attention, schedule a reading :)

Miss Michaele

I would like to add that I 1,000% agree with what Miss Michaele said! Well put.
Joseph Magnuson

spiritcandy
Forum Member

Unread post by spiritcandy » Thu May 24, 2012 12:10 pm

Wow, it is so much to read here. I haven't read all of this thread yet.

I don't really do anything the days before the ritual other than maybe talk to the spirits and angels about what I plan to do, and getting their blessing that they will support me.

The way I prepare for a ritual is by laying out all my ingredients on the alter and setting up the perimeters of the magic circle. I then go take a salt bath with candles and herbs that are appropriate and concentrate on being a goddess who can have everything I will. Then, I proceed to complete the ritual.

ConjureWitchery
Forum Member

Unread post by ConjureWitchery » Sat Jun 02, 2012 6:20 am

I grew up Pentecostal and was surrounded by a plethora of spiritual gifts.

In times when I am praying and the prayers to the saints does not seem to work, there are times when I will be "overcome with the spirit" and pray in tongues and normally when this happens, I get results quite quickly.

Is there other evidence of this happening in Hoodoo or has anyone else experienced this?
Deus Vobiscum!

Sancta Maria, Sancte Joseph, Sancte Michaël, et Sancte Juda Thaddæe, ora pro nobis!

Temont
Forum Member

Unread post by Temont » Sat Jun 02, 2012 7:08 am

If anyone has seen any of my posts on here, they might be able to gather a bit of what's going on. I do have a reading scheduled a couple of weeks from now. I just went through a bad break up with my ex. We were a loving couple and I tried to work it out but couldn't get it right. He has been very evil and hateful towards me. I still miss him and the times that we had but he is continuing to try to turn my life upside down. I am disposing of the sweet jar this evening but I made a vinegar jar for him two weeks ago. I was wondering how to pull up enough anger rather than hurt... Is hurt enough for his meanness to be reversed?

Mil
Forum Member

Unread post by Mil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:26 am

Hi.

I'll appreciate if someone can tell me which Psalms are good to work with and to pray in order to find a good job.

Thanks.

Mil

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:48 am

Psalms 23 and 65 may be helpful. Hopefully Mama Micki, another forum mod, will put her 2c in since she's extremely well versed in scripture.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:18 am

Thanks, Aura. I recommend Psalm 123.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Mil
Forum Member

Unread post by Mil » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:31 am

Thanks Aura and Mama Micki, I appreciate your time and advise.

Will be possible to do this prayers with some candles (I think people said that green is good to find a job), and do you know any candle spell?, r candle set up.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Jun 27, 2012 9:12 am

Hi Mil,

you can look through the different ideas on the page for Steady Work supplies here: http://www.luckymojo.com/steadywork.html the ''STEADY WORK MAGIC SPELL FOR GETTING A JOB'' on that page would be a good choice.

Blessings.
Aura Laforest

theusurper
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper » Mon Jul 02, 2012 1:43 pm

today i did my spell and i asked God for a signal if what i'm doing was right and then few hours after my spell i opened the Bible and for my surprise i found the answer with this proverb Chapter 16 verses 1-4. " To humans belongs the plans of the heart, but from the Lord comes the proper answer of the tongue. All a persons way seem pure of then, but motives are weighed by the Lord. Commit to the Lord whatever you do, and he will establish your
plans". Beautiful for me.

Clarabella
Forum Member

Unread post by Clarabella » Wed Jul 11, 2012 8:33 am

Pardon me if there is information on this already posted, but I've searched and read extensively and haven't found any.

I work with the psalms quite a lot and am always interested in new ways to go about this. I've recently read references in a couple places to writing a psalm, or part of a psalm, on a piece of paper, putting the paper in a glass of water so that the writing dissolves into the water, and then drinking the water. I was thinking of trying this by writing with grape juice on a coffee filter (avoiding the possible problems of ingesting ink or anything that might wash off paper not intended for such a use). Is anyone familiar with this practice? If so, have you used it and with what results? Any further information would be appreciated. I think it's an interesting idea.

Fixerkitty
Forum Member

Unread post by Fixerkitty » Wed Jul 11, 2012 9:59 am

That actually goes back to the ancient Egyptians. They'd write a spell on a piece of papyrus, dunk it in beer, and then drink it. This was believed to impart the spell throughout the body.

You could use grape juice to write out the psalms, food colouring, anything that's dissolvable and edible, really. Try it and see!
Beneath my feet I can feel
That I'm a slave,
Slave to Gravity
--Neuroactive

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Wed Jul 11, 2012 2:54 pm

If you look in specialty food stores you can find edible paper that dissolves in warm water and I really like using it for things like this. Work by the light of a dressed candle and sing the psalms as you write them out to enhance the work,

psychic kitty
Forum Member

Unread post by psychic kitty » Thu Jul 12, 2012 7:53 pm

Wow, that's a great idea! I've also heard of spell petitions being burned and the ashes put into a drink or food. Interesting! I've made bible cake before but this takes it to the next level! Hope it works!
It's a bittersweet symphony, this life...

Clarabella
Forum Member

Unread post by Clarabella » Fri Jul 13, 2012 4:31 am

Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in this method and will be working with it. I hope to post the results and, if anyone else has tried this successfully (or otherwise) I hope they'll also post their results.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:31 am

Clarabella wrote:Thanks for the replies. I'm interested in this method and will be working with it. I hope to post the results and, if anyone else has tried this successfully (or otherwise) I hope they'll also post their results.
Me too -- would love to see your results.

I'm thinking of Psalm 57, dissolved in a tea of relevant herbs -- edible, of course.

Miss Michaele

Piseog
HRCC Student

Unread post by Piseog » Fri Jul 13, 2012 9:43 am

Interesting. The Egyptian magic connection gives me a different perspective on Ezekiel eating the scroll (3.1-3.3) at the Lord's command and gaining prophecy, which never quite made sense to me. Psalms seem all in all easier to swallow though, given Ezekiel's results.

-Piseog

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Fri Jul 13, 2012 1:05 pm

This is a very old magical tradition found in the Mediterranean first among the Jews then later the Muslims. Both would take certain verses and drink them. There was many ways of doing this. For example the words were sometimes written on a plate with something edible then it was washed off and the water drunk, or bathed with.

This practice also appears in hoodoo in those places with Jewish spiritual supply shops. So you occassionally heard of this tradition in New York, Chicago, Baltimore. In fact AIRR member, Lukianos carries on this tradition with a spiritual rite he calles Drinking Your Sins.

Traditionally this idea of drinking a Psalm was done for healing, blessing, cleansing, or given in the drink of a husband or wife.

KhonsuMes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by KhonsuMes » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:34 am

This is areally interesting topic - Did some digging on it and here are a few more tidbits..

The egyptian use of ingested ink as part of a spell is directly attested in the Middle Kingdom Coffin Texts (Spell 341). That spell is found on 3 coffins, all from El Bersha, that date from roughly 2050 BCE (early 11th dynasty coffin of Djehutynakht) to 1860-1830 BCE (12 dynasty coffins of Sen and Gua). There are even earlier references to 'Swallowing Magic" in the Pyramid Texts. So this practice is very old indeed. The rubric of CT Spell 341 (translation by R. O. Faulkner, 1973 , Ancient Egyptian Coffin Texts) goes like this: 'This Spell should be spoken over seven Sacred Eyes in writing: To be washed in beer and natron and to be drunk by the man'.

Another common egyptian practice was to write magical names or images on an object or a patient and then lick them directly off - this was used for healing, protection and spells to gain divine favor.

In the Bible, Numbers 5:11-31 describes an adultery curse where the curse is written by a priest, then washed off into water to be drunk by the accused woman. If she is guilty of adultery, 'her belly will swell and thighs shrivel', otherwise 'she will go unscathed and bear children'.

Piseog
HRCC Student

Unread post by Piseog » Sat Jul 14, 2012 11:41 am

There is also the Welsh custom of sin eating, which persisted into the 19th century. It might be a somewhat different order of things though, since it seems more like volunteer scapegoating/self-sacrifice than blessing, and involves eating bread instead of words. The sin eater took the sins of a recently deceased person on himself, rather than taking on a blessing or making a divine connection, which psalm eating would seem to entail.

-Piseog

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jul 15, 2012 9:44 am

This has been my favorite thread read of the month! Thanks.
Joseph Magnuson

ProfessorAmes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by ProfessorAmes » Sun Jul 15, 2012 6:50 pm

This idea happens in Braucherei practice. In the Red Church, p. 283, Bilardi suggest writing the SATOR square in edible berry juice or dark food coloring on a 2x2 piece of paper. Make 9 of them and eat one 3 times per day to break curses and spells. Somewhere else in the book (I can't find it yet), magical words are written on a clean white dinner plate and then washed off and drunk.

avemarie
Forum Member

Unread post by avemarie » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:47 pm

I was just wondering if there were any traditions of singing or playing music for prayer or spells in Hoodoo. I'm a big singer (in my house/work any way :) ) and there have been a couple of times where things were really bad and I just came up with some spontaneous little song, and things kind of went in my direction after that.

Also, in regards to petitions, there are some songs that seem to ask for what I want in a more poetic way than I can really come up with.

I would imagine that this is all part of the reason people sing in church or at least a good benefit from it all (especially if it works in conjunction with Hoodoo)

Just curious :)

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:54 pm

Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Piseog
HRCC Student

Unread post by Piseog » Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:53 pm

I've noticed that many hoodoo workings involve specific prayers, often psalms. All of the psalms are poems, and many of them are songs. The word "psalm" refers to songs sung to a harp or lyre.

Doing magical works brings us to a certain mind state outside of our everyday selves: patterned, rhythmic, ritualistic--the same space songs and poetry come from.

I don't know if traditional hoodoo involves singing in the same way as a Christian church service or a vodou fete does. I know there are Spiritualist hymns, and I'm fairly sure that the hoodoo and Spiritualist traditions sometimes overlapped. But if you incline to music anyway, than it makes sense that you are intuitively picking up the bone structure of ritual pattern during your work.

-Piseog

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Tue Jul 17, 2012 7:54 pm

I personally love music and listen to its 24/7 and relate to it soo much.. so if I hear a good song that relates to my work im going to steal some lyrics and use them in my prayer, ill prolly even play the song a few times before and after the work because it just fits for me...thats me.. Now for prayer and singing I recall cat once posting a youtube video on praying like a decon, the young man in the video sang and praid giving praise to God. Also as noted psalms are songs of praise. So to an extent yes I think singing is ok.
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

Clarabella
Forum Member

Unread post by Clarabella » Wed Jul 18, 2012 8:06 am

I'm glad to have started a thread others have found interesting, and I thank everyone who has responded. I'd forgotten that this practice was mentioned in the Red Church (an important book if you're interested in PA Dutch folk magic). It's also mentioned in Karl Herr's book on the same subject, which is where I recently came across it.

ProfessorAmes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by ProfessorAmes » Wed Jul 18, 2012 12:25 pm

I'll have to check out that book by Karl Herr. What's the title?

avemarie
Forum Member

Unread post by avemarie » Wed Jul 18, 2012 3:20 pm

Cool, thanks for the answers guys! Gave me some great insight.

LadybugNW

Unread post by LadybugNW » Wed Jul 18, 2012 6:16 pm

This is a fascinating post...makes me think of the whole religious concept of transmutation in a completely different way.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:34 pm

Absolutely right KhonsuMes--there is evidence of similar techniques used in Graeco-Egyptian magical practice as well. The tradition has been practiced and used in by many cultures.

I am fond of this type of working and find that dissolving prayers in water used in baths is quite potent, followed by having someone drink the prayers.

ProfessorAmes
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by ProfessorAmes » Sat Jul 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I love using scripture for divination. You probably know Miss Michaele on here - she's a great bibliomancer.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Jul 22, 2012 11:27 am

I keep a Bible by my bed and try to open it at random every morning. I've had some interesting results.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

theusurper
Forum Member

Unread post by theusurper » Tue Jul 24, 2012 8:59 am

Today i have another testimony about the Bible and that God hears.
I was very depressed with my situation and i asked God any signal
because i"m so tired to fighting for my situation with my BF, and i
recieved this answer Isaiah 49 verse 4 for me that mean positve
answer

Kittyluver
Forum Member

Unread post by Kittyluver » Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:51 pm

In this post

signs-movement-completion-of-spells-que ... .html#wrap

On page 4 about 16 posts down Miss. Cat said this : "You are seeing signs, but you don't tell us if you are doing spiritual work, praying, or casting spells"

Can someone explain the differences between spiritual work, praying, or casting spells OR suggest a really good book from Lucky Mojo that would possibly explain the difference between the three? I know one works with saints and such, not sure if that's the praying or spirit work.

Is praying basically like reading out of the bible and praying to god?

What about casting spells? Is there a way to Cast spells without working with spirits, saints, or god?

Is one more effective than the other?

I think the main reason I ask is because I haven't done a lot of praying in my life and I feel intimidated by it. Is there a way to get a manifestation without praying? Thanks!

MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MaryBee » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:22 am

Spiritual work can combine prayer, meditation, and casting spells to meet a spiritual end or need in a person's life.

I pray just to talk to God, or to ask for a certain thing, or sometimes even just to complain :) But when I make a mojo bag, light a candle, or something like that, I'm doing what I consider "spiritual work".

You can read this thread in the forums about prayer:
share-how-you-prepare,-focus,-and-pray-t72.html

We can't really tell you HOW to pray, or which method is "most effective", because it varies from person to person. If you feel intimidated by calling something prayer, just try reframing how you think about it. Talk to Spirit in a respectful way but don't call it prayer.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Thu Aug 09, 2012 3:44 am

Hi Kittyluver,

although no doubt this won't elucidate all of your questions, perhaps others can add to this and complete the information:

signs of change (or completion) can occur as a result of spiritual work, praying or casting spells. they are just mundane occurences (or messages from your Spirit Guides or Ancestors) when not related to those activities. Signs are also, as you have probably read many times over in that thread and in the forum, quite personal and vary substantially from one person to another.

Spiritual work can include working with Saints, Angels, Ancestors, Deities and Spirit Guides as well as working with non-hoodoo techniques like mantras, fasting, pilgrimage, abstinence, tantrism, Qi, visualization, etc. It may involve a precise goal in the mundane world or focus on personal betterment and self-improvement (as is true of pretty much all spell-work as well).

Praying can be reading from the bible or praying to God; it can also be praying using rosary beads or a mala. It can include reading from the Surahs or chanting from Buddhist Scripture. It can also be as simple as having a conversation with the Divine and speaking from the heart about what one feels and desires. Each denomination and cultural group of the world has their own way of praying and the definintions vary slightly although ultimately they serve similar functions. A Forum thread you may want to read through on the subject is the following: share-how-you-prepare,-focus,-and-pray-t72.html

Casting spells includes techniques like honey jars, candle spells, wearing/making a mojo, brewing a tea, taking a spiritual bath, etc. - all of which the instructions for have been made available for all to read thanks to Miss Cat. One can quite effectively use these techniques without calling on Divine Power or Praying since the roots and herbs have their own Spirit which are brought to the work. Prayer helps for many in focusing their intentions while doing spell-work but it is not a requisite. Hoodoo is a set of practices, not a religion. That said it is worth specifying that in Conjure, which historically was largely practised by Protestants, one would ask for the help of God with the work because this is the religious frame-work of those who used it.

Which is more effective will depend on the individual worker and their own personal affinities. Those who were raised with religion (be it Catholic, Protestant, Muslin, Jewish or other) will tend to work better when prayer is included as it is already familiar. Those uncomfortable with the God or the Christian Saints will tend to work better when omitting reference to them or substituting with other Divine Elements. Others don't reference any Divine Element or Deity at all. Neither is better, all can yield good results, they're just different.

Hopefully this can offer you some insight and that others will be able to also add comments to give you ideas.

Blessings.
Aura Laforest

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Thu Aug 09, 2012 10:18 pm

Aura did a great job explaining. I just wanted to throw a few web pages for you to look over and help, first is cats online book, id read it all over then brows her products and read all about them to get a good understanding.
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html (online)

next is cats book which has a great introduction filled with in formation and spells here is a link about the book
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html

here is a link to spells which if you read through them I think you will notice some themes
http://www.luckymojo.com/spells.html

My experience with prayer and hoodoo is that it goes hand in hand with the religion. Hoodoo is christan based thats a fact, so my view is of couse using God in the work is stronger then not. Most hoodoo workers are christian. If wondering how to pray cat posted once a link from youtube of a decon paster. Note hoodoo also uses psalms and other Biblical text, in fact when I do a work I look through my bible to find versus that support my prayer and work them in, I write em out and read em. when I do a work I feel im petitioning, God but thats my view im sure others see it different. Hope the links help!
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

heartexalted
Forum Member

Unread post by heartexalted » Mon Aug 27, 2012 2:57 pm

ShadoWalker wrote:I have a question that's more out of curiosity about how other workers work. I was actually curious in knowing if there was a specific Bible that is actually better to use than another.
On a related note, I was wondering if other (i.e., older) languages entirely could make the work more powerful. For example, would Latin (being an old liturgical language) or Hebrew (for the Old Testatment verses) add an extra "oomph" to a spell?
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
-Proverbs 8:18

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”