Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Deities, Angels, Spirits, Saints: Selecting, Best Choices

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Deities, Angels, Spirits, Saints: Selecting, Best Choices

Unread post by jwmcclin » Fri Dec 23, 2011 10:53 am

Like Mama Micki, I am not quite clear on what you are asking, however, here is a link to the AIRR Spirit Work page:

(http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... pirit_Work)

This page discusses and provides links to working with many religions, deities, angels, and spirits in hoodoo and conjure. It may answer your inquiry.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Dec 23, 2011 11:04 am

As Mama Micki pointed out, the word "novena" means "nine-day prayer" and although the term originated within the Roman Catholic Church, and it specifically refers to a nine-day candle-service with special prayers for each day (often printed in booklets or distributed via web pages), any eclectic person such as yourself could conceivably craft a nine-day prayer of his or her own, for any purpose, and address it to any deity, spirit, archangel or angel, with an unknown degree of authenticity and spiritual effectiveness.

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

Fullmoondiva
Forum Member

Unread post by Fullmoondiva » Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:10 pm

Do love spells have a better chance of working if you work with Saint or can it work just as well without one? Can you also work with the spirit of a loved one instead of a Saint for a love spell? I read about the one love spell that someone else mentioned using graveyard dirt from a loved one's grave.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:32 am

Fullmoondiva, magic, especially folk-magic, is not a game, like a role-playing game, where you can "increase your odds" with certain "strategies."

If you are not Catholic and if, for one reason or another, you have no interest in Catholic saints, then attempting to work with saints would be a distraction and a nuisance. Likewise, if you were a Hindu and someone told you that you would have better success in love if you prayed to Allah, you might try it, but it would very likely distract you.

The question -- the way you phrase it -- gives me the idea that either you are Catholic and think that everyone here is and are just straightforwardly wondering if we work with saints for love -- or, perhaps, you are not Catholic and have no deep committment to ANY religion and just think of the Catholic saints as a kind of optional add-on.

Well, the thing is, most of us here are not Catholics (some are, obviously), and even among Catholics, not all would work with a saint for love -- some might find that selfish or wrong, and only petition saints for health and blessings and safety issues.

There is no answer to your question, because there are really as many answers to your question as there are people in this forum.

For example, i work with Jewish Archangels -- which some Catholics call saints (e.g. "Saint" Michael, who is Archangel Michael) -- but he helps with protection, not love. And i work with Saint Expedite (for luck in a hurry) and with the Holy Family, Jesus, Joseph, and Mary, and i work with Saint Dymphna -- but none of those are notable for helping with love.

So, for me -- and that's just one person, me, not the whole group of thousands of people who post here -- the answer is no, because i am one of those folks who does not petition Catholic saints for love matters. It's just not my thing. But i have been quite successful, over the long haul, in love spells, so i don't feel like i have missed anything by not working with Catholic saints for love.
catherine yronwode

Fullmoondiva
Forum Member

Unread post by Fullmoondiva » Sun Jan 22, 2012 9:54 am

Thanks Catherine for your help. I asked that question because I was really wondering if you needed to work with saints at all in order for hoodoo spells to work and no I am not cathlolic. It's just that I have read quite a few posts where they mentioned the names of these different saints.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Jan 22, 2012 10:05 pm

The popularity of the saints is really an internet phenomenon that has resulted from the rising influence of Afro-Cuban and Latin American folk magic practices. The fact is that conjure always has been and remains a mostly Protestant Christian form of spirituality. Don't let the internet fool you, most conjure doctors have actually never worked with saints ;-).
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Luckbewithme876
Forum Member

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:23 pm

I set up an altar for St. Dymphna yesterday and fianlly got around to working with her. So far I already feel a little better. Is there any offering that I can make to her? I know St. Expedite likes flowers and pound cake. Also how do I make the offering? I never understood how that works unless it's like a burnt offering.
Thank you to St. Dymphna!

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Jan 23, 2012 1:25 pm

You can donate to the National Shrine of St. Dymphna, or you may make a donation to a Soteria-type mental wellness recovery program as they use a method similar to what she used back in Gheel.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Luckbewithme876
Forum Member

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:19 pm

Thanks Devi Spring. :)

Scratchmade Sweets

Unread post by Scratchmade Sweets » Wed Jan 25, 2012 5:41 am

Conjure Man Ali, I am not at all educated enough to work with Saints and feel out of my element when I do. I found via the internet that St Joseph is great for jobs but have found none other. Is there any other deities or spirits that I can petition for job getting or job related type work? Thank you!!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:20 am

I'm not CMA, but you do not have to work with saints if you are not comfortable doing so. If you still want to, you can petition a saint who is the patron of your particular line of work. For example, St. Martin de Porres is the patron saint of housekeepers, hairdressers/barbers, and veterinarians.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Jan 25, 2012 9:23 am

If you feel out of your element when it comes to working with saints then why petition them? This is not in reference to you, but I"m always taken aback by people who work with saints but aren't Catholic, nor have any interest in Catholic folk-magic. It's a bit disconcerting to see saints treated as if they were some vending machine.

BestofLife, if you don't feel comfortable working with saints then do what conjurers have been doing for the past 2 centuries; traditional conjure. Get yourself a honey jar for sweetening interviewers, a Lodestone to draw work to you, and pray the Psalms, call on your Ancestors, and pray in Jesus' Name. You don't need any other deities or saints for conjure. Just a relationship with Spirit.

Scratchmade Sweets

Unread post by Scratchmade Sweets » Wed Jan 25, 2012 10:09 am

True ConjureMan Ali! I didn't even know what type of work Saint Joseph was petitioned for until spirit kept putting him all up in my face. Once I looked him up online I was like ah-ha that is why I'm being led this way. I am not catholic either so I was at a junction of which way to go. I think I will finish this work with him and move on to something else. I will ask to see why I was led this way too. Thank you!

Luckbewithme876
Forum Member

Unread post by Luckbewithme876 » Thu Jan 26, 2012 2:02 pm

What would be the best way to work with St. Lazarus? I have some scars I want to get rid of.

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:16 pm

A thought on the comment above about using or not using Catholic saints when you're not Catholic. One of the things I love about Hoodoo/Conjure is its immediacy; I don't need to wait on God or any other spirit to do it for me. With some roots/herbs, minterals, oils or powders, and so on, I can draw or repel what I want. So, petitioning a God or Saint isn't really necessary, especially if you don't want to, or don't feel drawn to.

That having been said, I found myself having St. Expedite (as someone else put it) 'shoved in my face by spirit' enough that I did petition him with some pretty immediate results. So he has a space at my Hoodoo working area now, and I plan to build a relationship with him. But I don't NEED to. And when I did decided to work with him, I was consciously choosing to build a relationship as well. If St. Joseph or some other saint is calling you, then build a relationship and petition away!

But there is no substitute for plain ole' doin' the work. :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

Lee Canipe

Unread post by Lee Canipe » Thu Jan 26, 2012 4:40 pm

Jibrael wrote:A thought on the comment above about using or not using Catholic saints when you're not Catholic. One of the things I love about Hoodoo/Conjure is its immediacy; I don't need to wait on God or any other spirit to do it for me. With some roots/herbs, minterals, oils or powders, and so on, I can draw or repel what I want. So, petitioning a God or Saint isn't really necessary, especially if you don't want to, or don't feel drawn to.
I'm afraid you are seriously mistaken. Everything in conjure comes from God. God made the plants and breathed power into them. God make the spirits and permits them to work with us. God created the people who are our ancestors and allows them to help us. Everything in conjure comes from God-- this is an extremely important aspect of the tradition.

Where I live it is quite common for a rootworker to ask a prospective client if they "Are saved?" or "Believe in the Bible?", and to refuse to take the case if the person answers in the negative (or tell them to go get baptized and come back!). Without faith in God you can't do nothing, with faith in God you can do anything. And no matter how many roots, oils, powders, honey jars, lodestones, or curios you use, if it's not the will of God it ain't gonna happen.

Lee Canipe #398 (G)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 26, 2012 10:29 pm

Jibrael, What Lee Canipe said is right.

You may apply your theory of atheistic self-empowerment to your own private magical workings, of course, but you are spitting in the wind if you think you are going to change conjure practices around to suit your personal worldview or influence members of this forum to become God-less or Spirit-less on your say-so.

In your profile, you wrote, "My #1 interest is spirituality. I am a witch in the Feri Tradition, and I see everything through Feri Lenses. My spiritual interests include Vodou, Huna, Hoodoo, and Pow-Wow, just for starters. I am also a lover of poetry and the arts."

That's cool -- but i think that seeing "everything through Feri Lenses" is seriously clouding your vision of hoodoo.

When visiting in someone's home, it's a good idea to not to tell them how to practice religion or how to vote.

Now, i am going to try to settle this for you.

Here is a famous song about hoodoo. REALLY famous. It is called "Goin' To Louisiana {Mojo Hand}" and it is by the great Sam "Lightnin'" Hopkins of Texas. He recorded it commercially and sang it in concerts many, many times:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3cT-qamhI-g

And here is the same man, Lightnin' Hopkins, singing "Needed Time":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XNAXLtfQd7Y

Play them one after the other until they make sense to you.

Mojo Hand. Needed Time. Mojo Hand. Needed Time.

There.

Now you are seeing "through HOODOO lenses."
catherine yronwode

Jibrael
HRCC Student

Unread post by Jibrael » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:29 am

I appreciate what was said. I've been reflecting on it (and the songs) before responding. Part of the problem was that I didn't communicate clearly, but that has provided me an opportunity to learn something that I'll have to set with for awhile. You've both said things that really affected me, and I wish I could make that clear in an online posting.

I didn't mean to imply that no God is involved; I was answering (like a couple others) the trend for many on this forum to assume that step 1 is finding the right saint, even if they don't really feel any need to call on a saint. I didn't mean, though, to imply an "atheistic" point of view. When asked if I believe in God (common here in Appalachia), I usually respond, "No... I believe in nothing but God." I take that omniprescence thing very seriously.

But I was still mistaken about something, and I'm glad it was brought up. Like I've said elsewhere, I've been surprised how Hoodoo keeps making me have to confront my Christian upbringing, and I've found myself praying (just praying) more this past couple months than in the years prior. And when I spoke of the immediacy of Hoodoo, I was speaking (though I didn't say so) of that idea that these tools in my hand come to me already empowered by my God. Its like the work already started. But I did also, without realizing it, fill in the gaps with the Feri teaching that serving the Gods means becoming your own fully actualized individual self. While I still believe that, I shouldn't have injected it here. Before first coming to LM I had taken some courses in Pow-Wow, and my teacher made it clear that nothing works without belief that a Higher Power exists and is capable of and willing to help. He also says that every work begins with asking the client, "Do you believe in God?" and turning down the work if they say "no" or they aren't sure. This direct kind of faith isn't something (honestly) that I've had since leaving Christianity, but I don't think its an accident that I'm drawn to systems that teach it. God is talking to me... and I hope I listen.

I'm still sorting it all out, and I'm grateful for the direct (and blunt) responses. I'll think far more carefully before advising others in the future, and remember that I'm still a student and a guest. I apologize for overstepping my bounds. You've given me some things to think and.. yes.. even pray about it. Rest assured I will.

Peace :)
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Student #1816

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:12 pm

Lee is absolutely right. It is common to hear conjure doctors say, "it aint me doing the work, but the Lord." We firmly believe that ALL our power comes from the Lord.

That said, my experience has been different than Lee's. I've never seen a conjure doctor turn away a client because of their religion, except in one case, but the man was a bit of a bigot. In fact, historically conjure doctors are seen as spiritual elders who welcomed the tired and down-trodden into their home regardless of creed, or race. That's right, African American conjure doctors would even work for people who only a generation before would have been slave-owners...

That said and though my experience is different than Lee's, it is undeniable that hoodoo is Christian and as such all the power of conjure comes from the Lord.

TheBestest
Forum Member

Unread post by TheBestest » Sun Feb 05, 2012 2:56 pm

I read somewhere that there is certain places you should pray at. Is it ok to pray to the Saints in your bedroom?

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun Feb 05, 2012 3:59 pm

Yes, you can pray anywhere, including your bedroom. Many of us have altars in our bedrooms.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

TheBestest
Forum Member

Unread post by TheBestest » Tue Feb 07, 2012 5:12 pm

Mama Micki wrote:Yes, you can pray anywhere, including your bedroom. Many of us have altars in our bedrooms.
Ok great! Thanks :)

jwalke12
Forum Member

Unread post by jwalke12 » Sun Apr 22, 2012 5:39 pm

Hello,

I'm a sex worker and was wondering if there are any deities, angels, spirits, or saints that I could call upon in a time of need? Somewhere on the internet I have heard that Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of prostitution, but I can't seem to find out much about it on lucky mojo (so I doubt whether or not he'd be pleased to hear me ask for help with something related to my job). St. Martha seems like a good first choice but I'm open to any other suggestions!

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sun Apr 22, 2012 11:29 pm

Saint Martha is a tricky one. Some curanderas that I know call upon her to give domination over men and sometimes that means making them pay up, but she also is known as a virgin, so I don't know how common her use among sex-workers is.

I'm an old school worker so for me this is straight up Cleo May work, Jezebel root etc. I don't think in terms of saints..

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:35 am

St. Mary of Egypt was a prostitute, but gave it up later.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

jwalke12
Forum Member

Unread post by jwalke12 » Tue Apr 24, 2012 5:26 am

ConjureMan Ali wrote:Saint Martha is a tricky one. Some curanderas that I know call upon her to give domination over men and sometimes that means making them pay up, but she also is known as a virgin, so I don't know how common her use among sex-workers is.

I'm an old school worker so for me this is straight up Cleo May work, Jezebel root etc. I don't think in terms of saints..
TBH I don't really think of saints either when I think of prostitution. Mostly I would like to find some sort of entity who would stay by my side and help keep me safe when I go out to meet clients, and who also wouldn't look down on me because of my job. Any suggestions?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Wed Apr 25, 2012 2:11 am

You can work with St. Martha to protect you. No she is not the saint of prostitutes but she can protect you and dominate men or anyone that you do not want to harm you.

If not then you may get a mojo bag for protection or get a piece of jewelry or even a pendant of St. Martha and dress it with protection oil.

Maybe you can get a reading to see if Saint Martha will help you in this manner.

www.readersandrootworkers.com
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

MidsouthGuy
Forum Member

Unread post by MidsouthGuy » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Grigori Rasputin has become a folk saint in parts of Russia, and I plan on working with him in the near future, particularly with healing and finding the sacred in unsavory places.

I know some suggested offerings for him and can easily find an image, but I get the feeling that something is missing.

If anyone here has experience working with Rasputin, could you please point me in the right direction?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:33 pm

Despite how far off the norm working with a Russian Orthodox faith-healer would seem to be for African American folk-magic, working with a personal spirit guide is part of hoodoo culture. However, i am curious, in which parts of Russia is Grigori Rasputin a folk saint? I know of him as a mystic, a healer who drew on shamanic methodologies, and a supporter of civil rights for the poor, but not as a saint.
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:40 am

There is a four-page entry on Rasputin in Encyclopedia of Mystics, Saints, and Sages by Judika Illes. Some pray to him for protection and healing, since he helped the Tsarevich (Prince) with his hemophilia. In death, he went through the four elements: he drowned (water), was buried (earth), his body was exhumed and burned (fire), and the ashes scattered to the winds (air).
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:56 am

Thank you, Mama Micki -- but that's an American book by an author who compiled data from unsourced and often web-based texts. I am actually hoping for a response to MidSouthGuy's statement that "in parts of Russia" Rasputin is a folk-saint. The term "folk-saint" has specific meaning to ethnologists, and the word "folk" implies something more indigenous than a listing in an American book by an American author, no matter what her sources may have been.

As a folklorist interested in the material culture of religion and magic -- and a board member of YIPPIE (the Yronwode Institution for the Preservation and Popularization of Indigenous Ethnomagicology), i was asking for guidelines that would allow me to search for and to see "indigenous" (in this case Russian) home shrines, statuary, icons, amulets, ex votos, and the like -- whatever can be shown to be Russian in origin and which places Rasputin at the center of a Russian cultus of folk-saint veneration.

What i am asking for is a way to acquaint myself with the Russian equivalnt to the Santa Muerte or Jesus Malverde or El Nino Fidencio artifacts, songs, videos,and fiesta photos coming out of Mexico, or the Maximon artifacts, songs, videos,and fiesta photos coming out of Guatemala, or the Dr. Jose Gregorio artifacts, songs, videos,and fiesta photos coming out of Nicaragua.
catherine yronwode

Tristan
Forum Member

Unread post by Tristan » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:58 pm

Information on the veneration of Grigori Rasputin is a bit tricky to get, both because of the dearth of English information, as well as the novelty of the cultus. Not unlike Santa Muerte, the number of devotees of Rasputin has increased primarily in the last two decades, although to a much lesser extent than that of Holy Death. When the Royal Romanov Martyrs were canonized as Passion Bearers by the Moscow Patriarchate in 2000 in particular, calls were made to also recognize Rasputin as a saint.

A number of publications have been made (in Russian) that describe Rasputin as a prophet, myrrh-bearer, wonder-worker, etc. Icons and prayer cards of Rasputin have been made, and are available for purchase in stores and even some churches in Moscow and throughout Russia. The Russian newspaper Novaya Gazeta published an article on Feb. 8, 2001 that describes one such icon of Rasputin in the Church of St. Nicholas, in Moscow. It should be noted that the icon is not part of the iconostasis. One interesting form of these icons depicts Rasputin with the Tsarevich Alexei, whom he was reputed to have healed of his hemophilia.

The very well-respected Orthodox starets and priest Elder Nikolay Guryanov (to whom miracles and healings are attributed in his own right) is even depicted holding such an icon of Rasputin. There is a clip on YouTube of Elder Guryanov prior to his death with his pictures and icons of Rasputin, but unfortunately I cannot understand what's being said. He does, however, take the icon and bless the interviewer with it. Elder Guryanov venerated both Rasputin and Tsar Ivan Grozny (Ivan the Terrible), neither of whom are recognized as saints by the Russian Orthodox Church.

A document available on the website of the Council of Bishops of the Russian Orthodox Church from the Synodal Commission for the Causes of Saints (sorry for that mouthful) did not find Rasputin (or Ivan the Terrible) to be recognizable as saints. The desire to canonize Rasputin persists among some and seems to have connections with some of the more Monarchist members of the Russian Orthodox Church.

There are at least two Akathists (hymns) to "Elder Grigori", which are available online in Russian. He is considered to be a miracle worker, healer, and Fool for Christ among his devotees, and there are a few authors who have written about him as such. There are photos online of prayer processions that show the faithful carrying their icons of Rasputin, and you can check out some of these great icons through Google Image. Searching for "Икона Распутин" had good results for me.

Cheers,
Tristan

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 13, 2012 11:50 pm

Tristan -- WOW! Thank you! That was a great deal of information and i am going to follow it up.The AIRR member Madame Nadia is a native Russian speaker. (Many of you know her through her Lenormand card divination blog or through the chat-room at the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour, or because she has been a guest on the show.) I am going to get her involved in this. Translations are on the horizon!
catherine yronwode

Tristan
Forum Member

Unread post by Tristan » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:56 am

You're very welcome Miss Cat, I hope it gave you some good leads. Keep us updated!

MidSouthGuy - A few of my favourite Lucky Mojo formulae make great offerings to saints, both "official" and "unofficial". The All Saints, Blessing, 7-11 Holy Type Oil, and Holy Trinity lines are all wonderful. The oils can be used to dress candle offerings or a few drops can be included in a vigil lamp, which is very traditional of an Orthodox icon corner in one's home. Frankincense and Myrrh make great incense offerings and you can add some in to any of Lucky Mojo's self-lighting incense powders. I also like to offer saints Rose Water and Peace Water. I hope you're able to use some of these suggestions. :)

MidsouthGuy
Forum Member

Unread post by MidsouthGuy » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:11 am

Thank you, that should be very helpful!

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:04 pm

Thanks go to Tristan for the insight shared within this thread! Thank you very much.

MidsouthGuy: I am very curious about Grigori Rsputin as folk-Saint and was wondering where you first heard of him!? Thank you.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

MidsouthGuy
Forum Member

Unread post by MidsouthGuy » Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

I first heard about this when I Googled something about Eastern Orthodoxy (I don't remember what) and saw an article about some people wanting to make Rasputin a saint.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Sep 17, 2012 4:02 pm

Thank you for that, MidsouthGuy. I will look further into it/him.
Joseph Magnuson

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:17 pm

I first read about Rasputin when I did a book report on Nicholas and Alexandra in school. Apparently, he had quite a following with the society ladies in Russia. The author of the book inferred that he was at least partly responsible for the downfall of the Romanovs (the Russian royal family) because there were rumors of Empress Alexandra having an affair with Rasputin, although she was probably just trying desperately to get healing for her son.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

MidsouthGuy
Forum Member

Unread post by MidsouthGuy » Sun Sep 23, 2012 8:27 pm

I've heard the same stories, and I seriously doubt Rasputin was having an affair with the Tsarina. He definitely loved the ladies, but he doesn't come off as the type of person who would have mixed business and pleasure. If nothing else he would have known the results of getting caught, and Rasputin was not stupid enough to risk it.

phonehappy
Forum Member

Unread post by phonehappy » Thu Oct 11, 2012 10:50 pm

Do people pray to saints for their help with cursing/revenge work?

It just doesn't make sense to me that saints would help with revenge/curse work, how is that moral?

Thanks

MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MaryBee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:44 am

Some workers pray with saints and ask them for help, some don't. Hoodoo is a largely Protestant-derived tradition so many workers work with the Bible and Psalms rather than saints (Catholic workers and others who are comfy working with them petition saints).

Morals are up to each individual worker. For some workers, cursing or revenge work is justified by God in some cases and they will do it. Others refuse to do any kind of harsh work. And many workers are in the middle, judging on a case by case basis.

St. Martha the Dominator is petitioned by women to get the upper hand in relationships and to bring a straying man back home. Santissma Muerte (or Holy Death) is sometimes called upon for protection against and revenge on enemies.

The point is, if you have a relationship with a particular saint (gained by devotional practice and work) and that saint says he or she will work with you on a revenge and cursing level, it's up to you as a worker to decide whether or not to take that route.

Peace
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:32 am

If you don't want to do cursing or revenge work, then don't. As Mary Bee stated, you also don't have to work with saints if you don't want to.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:37 pm

Personally, i am not a Catholic and i work with the Psalms for cursing. There is some VERY tough language in the Psalms.
catherine yronwode

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:00 pm

http://www.luckymojo.com/secretspsalms.html

The link above is for Miss Cat's great advice.

Take Care,

Tammie Lee
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Eviya88
Forum Member

Unread post by Eviya88 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 2:43 pm

Hello :) I'm very new to all of this and need some advice. I was wondering which Saint(s) should I pray to for my situation? I was with someone for 2 years, very much in love and had a very strong connection. We began having problems in March and he eventually left in August... he had a friend who apparently had her eye on him for awhile and played the role of the good supportive friend and even bought him stuff. She took advantage of the fact we were having problems and needless to say they're dating now... I was wondering which Saint(s) would be the most helpful and effective in bringing him back? Thank you for your time :)

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Oct 27, 2012 5:16 pm

Saint Anthony (http://www.readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/Saint_Anthony) is the patron saint for Reconciliation. Read about him...

Eviya88
Forum Member

Unread post by Eviya88 » Sat Oct 27, 2012 9:28 pm

jwmcclin wrote:Saint Anthony (http://www.readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/Saint_Anthony) is the patron saint for Reconciliation. Read about him...
Ok thank you :)

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Mon Oct 29, 2012 6:04 pm

Saint Martha, Saint Anthony, and Saint Elena are often called upon for reconciliation work.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Nov 12, 2012 8:26 pm

Also see this AIRR web page with links to all 150 Psalms and how they are used in folk magic:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/C ... _of_Psalms
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Nov 18, 2012 6:50 pm

If Revenge/Curse work is justified there are occasions to petition the Saints for help in carrying out the justified sentence. It depends on your relationship with the Saints, as well as the justification of the work being thrown.
Joseph Magnuson

jamkaret

Unread post by jamkaret » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:17 am

When I was a child I found an arrowhead in our backyard, which excited me to no end, especially since the little island/finger we lived on was made from the spoil of the Intercoastal channel dredging. It's always felt like a gift and is one of my most cherished items. Since finding hoodoo, I've thought about laying out some water and burning some Indian Spirit Guide incense as a way to honor the spirit of the arrowhead and the person who used it. Any more ideas? I think I would like to work towards a closer relationship with the spirit so I can better understand the history and flow of this amazing part of Florida.

MaryBee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MaryBee » Sun Feb 24, 2013 5:06 pm

You could also offer some Sweetgrass and Tobacco along with the incense. Or dress the arrowhead with Indian Spirit Guide oil and keep it near your bed, so you could get dreams from any Indian spirit guides you may have.

Good luck,
Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

jamkaret

Unread post by jamkaret » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:19 pm

Oooo, I really like the latter suggestion. Dreaming runs in the family, and that would be a way to learn not only about any Indian guides I may have, but also get back into dream work.

Thank you!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:31 pm

Lucky Mojo has some books on dream work and the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers has a web presence on the subject, read about it here
Spirtuality, Psychism, Mental Influence and Dreaming

Afightforlove
Forum Member

Unread post by Afightforlove » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:09 am

Hello.

I know St. Anthony's day is on Tuesday. However today is Sunday and I was told to light his candle 2 days ago. My matter is serious and would like to invoke St. Anthony's help as soon as possible. I can light his second candle for him he following Tuesday? would that be okay?
THANK YOU St. Martha!!!!! And Thank you St. Anthony for your help!!!
#Grateful & amazed!!

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Sun Apr 07, 2013 4:12 am

Hi Afightforlove,

You time on auspicious days when possible but you also do the work when needed: a Saint won't only take cases on his given day! So start now and then back things up on Tuesday as you suggest.

Blessings.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

orion
Forum Member

Unread post by orion » Tue Apr 09, 2013 6:28 am

When working with saints, what do you offer them? Food, water, candle?
If you have a statue do you need to anoint it, or feed it?

GirlOnFire
Forum Member

Unread post by GirlOnFire » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:28 am

'm a sex worker and was wondering if there are any deities, angels, spirits, or saints that I could call upon in a time of need? Somewhere on the internet I have heard that Saint Nicholas is the patron saint of prostitution, but I can't seem to find out much about it on lucky mojo (so I doubt whether or not he'd be pleased to hear me ask for help with something related to my job). St. Martha seems like a good first choice but I'm open to any other suggestions!
I am an ex Professional Dominatrice. I still do web-based femdom work. St Martha will work for you. Even though there is no intercourse involved (or even nudity on my part) it is still very sexually oriented work and I deal with a lot of fetishes, freaks and perverts. St Martha called to me strongly and I have worked with her for years and I'm confident she likes me. :) I petition her for new clients, richer clients ect and she definitely fulfills my requests. I have petitioned her for many other matters outside of money and she has always come through to me. I'd say if she calls to you, try working with her. I've worked with other Dieties and Saints and she is definitely the one that I can depend on the most. You can work with any angel you wish, they aren't going to ignore you because you are a sex worker -- don't let anyone tell you otherwise. I would think Mary Magdalene would be a good pick too, but I've had so much success with St Martha, I never really got around to working with Mary Magdalene. I had read the St Nicholas thing too, but I just wasn't feeling it.

Caligula
Forum Member

Unread post by Caligula » Tue May 14, 2013 1:17 am

Which Loa or Orisha do I summon for cursing?

Which of the seven African powers is most assassinated with cursing?

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”