Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Licorice Root Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
luckfindme

Licorice Root Questions and Answers

Unread post by luckfindme » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:58 pm

Is there much of a difference in terms of bending someone to your will when using calamus versus licorice? I see in many posts, calamus favored or being used with the other.

In addition, if I break up my root slices into pieces so that it shakes better or mixes better to cover names in a jar spell, does it lose potency. Is it like saying water in ice form is much colder? Could someone enlighten me on this subject?

AmaSarah
Re: Licorice Root Questions and Answers

Unread post by AmaSarah » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:05 pm

I've often read that herbs and roots are ground down to powders so I'm sure you're be fine but I'll allow someone else to answer about the symbolic and magical uses of the two herbs.

good luck

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Thu Dec 01, 2011 7:12 pm

Licorice Root (http://herb-magic.com/licorice-root.html) is used to gain power over and control someone, and to change their mind.

Calamus Root (http://herb-magic.com/calamus-root-chips.html) is used to control a situation or dominate a person.

HER-LIC-RTCH
Licorice Root
$3.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

For more information, see:
http://www.herbmagic.com/licorice-root.html
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:20 am

Although this is simply my own xp on the use of the two, (others will no doubt have better advice) I find that licorice is a ''softer'', ''sweeter'' kind of controlling. (Influencing someone without them feeling like they're being bossed around). It's also a great help for cranky/whining children ;)
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Dec 03, 2011 10:24 pm

The magical qualities of this product are described in this book, with folkloric hoodoo spells for use in practical conjure,

BOO-GRI-HHSC
Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic Paperback by catherine yronwode
$14.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Sun Dec 04, 2011 4:18 am

I've also found (this is simply an opinion) that different workers will gravitate to different working herbs depending on affinity and working success. Personally - I've never had much in common with calamus and virtually never use it - licorice on the other hand is a whole nother kettle of fish: while the flavour leaves me wincing (just like anise), magickally and medically I love the stuff (just like anise...).
Aura Laforest

AmaSarah

Unread post by AmaSarah » Sun Dec 04, 2011 9:46 am

I'm not surprised to see the varying opinions regarding these herbs - or any others, really. As my rootworker explained it to me as we were designing my honey jar, is that you have to find the herbs/roots that speak to you. She said that through experience, you'll find the ones that work best for you personally, or that you connect with personally. She has her list of favorite herbs/roots because it is what works for her. It doesn't mean the exact list will work for me or in the same exact manner.

The way I think of it is that it's like perfume. It has its scent in the bottle but will smell differently on each individual person as it interacts with their chemistry.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:56 pm

This goes to the idea of herb/root familiars in which people find that there is an herb, or root that they can turn to in a variety of works. For example, some workers with a Native American background work heavily with Tobacco and will include such in nearly all their mojo hands.

As you've indicated some have found Calamus sweeter while others find Licorice sweeter. For me both can having a dominating effect. But indeed this varies from worker to worker as we are spirit-led.
ConjureMan Ali - HRCC Graduate, Forum Moderator, and Member of AIRR

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:47 am

Don't you just love level-minded exchanges like this? I sure do!

Everyone being respectful of each other. Everyone sharing their ideas and listening to the ideas of others... Kudos to all helping out this discussion. Sometimes something so simple can be such a breath of fresh air.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:11 pm

Amen to that Joseph! Roots, herbs and curios - and finding out how other workers use them and which ones they favour - are some of my favourite threads to read through and take notes from.

They're the elements that speak to me most when I work and I've found that baths, rubs, teas, herbal preparation and mojo hands are the bulk of the work I prefer.

Handling the herbs and curios from LM is moving - from the very first comfrey root (back from my very first order!), to the transparent yellowish soft slices of solomon seal to the earth and forceful energy of a High John root, they speak with personalities and a force very much their own.

And lead to here getting the insights of jwmcclin, ConjureMan Ali, AmaSarah, Turnsteel and Stars concerning licorice and calamus ;)

Off-topicness over, pardon my herbal effluvia!
Aura Laforest

Lennor5
Newly Registered

Unread post by Lennor5 » Mon Jan 02, 2012 8:31 pm

Liquorice (British English) or Licorice (American English) is the root of Glycyrrhiza glabra, from which a sweet flavour can be extracted. The liquorice plant is a legume (related to beans and peas), native to southern Europe and parts of Asia. It is not related to Anise, Star Anise or Fennel, which are the source of superficially similar flavoring compounds. It is an herbaceous perennial, growing to 1 m in height, with pinnate leaves about 7–15 centimeters (3–6 in) long, with 9–17 leaflets. The flowers are 0.8–1.2 cm long, purple to pale whitish blue, produced in a loose inflorescence. The fruit is an oblong pod, 2–3 centimeters (1 in) long, containing several seeds. The flavor of liquorice comes mainly from a sweet-tasting compound called anethole ("trans"-1-methoxy-4-(prop-1-enyl)benzene), an aromatic, unsaturated ether compound also found in anise, fennel, and other herbs. Additional sweetness in liquorice comes from glycyrrhizic acid, an anti-viral compound significantly sweeter than sugar.
Liquorice grows best in deep, fertile, well-drained soils, with full sun, and is harvested in the autumn, two to three years after planting.

In modern times, liquorice extract is produced by boiling liquorice root and subsequently evaporating most of the water. In fact, the name 'liquorice'/'licorice' is derived (via the Old French licoresse), from the Ancient Greek glukurrhiza, meaning 'sweet root'. Liquorice extract is traded both in solid and syrup form. Its active principle is glycyrrhizin, a sweetener more than 50 times as sweet as sucrose which also has pharmaceutical effects.

SHAKUR1971

Unread post by SHAKUR1971 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:06 pm

Hello Everyone :) ,

I have a question for everyone. Do any of you know the name of the Root sticks that you can put in your mouth & chew on it & when you are in front of the person talking to them, you would spit (well not really spit, but it's like you have something in your mouth that you need to spit out).

I use to get some from this lady but she is dead now, and my mom & I was talking about them the other day. Does anybody know what I'm talking about? I was looking at the Devil shoestring, but it does not seem that like it is the right one.

My mom needs some for job interviews that she is going on soon. I mean these sticks are powerful and my mom and other family members have used them before to get jobs, in court case matters, and for many other things.

Thanks

Thank
The Strongest Cards I Have, Are The One's I Haven't Played!

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:21 pm

Hi MINKBRYAN / SHAKUR1971

I think that you're probably talking about is Licorice, sometimes called "Chew Sticks."

Blessings.
Aura Laforest

Turnsteel
HRCC Student

Unread post by Turnsteel » Wed Feb 15, 2012 1:54 pm

If I had to guess, I'd say they were prayed-over licorice sticks. Lucky Mojo carries these too:
http://www.herb-magic.com/licorice-root.html
HRCC Student #1559

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Wed Feb 15, 2012 7:34 pm

Good point Turnsteel ;) Given both have very distinct flavours, I suppose that ultimately it's the appearance and the taste test that will tell!

This product qualifies to be included in the Lucky Mojo 6 Herb and Root Special.

When you order SIX of our regularly-priced herbs or roots, you only pay for FIVE and, as a BONUS GIFT -- we will also send you a FREE Red Flannel Bag that you can use to make your own mojo hand. Just order the Special, and be sure to list your SIX herbs and roots in the message area of your order.

HER-ZSP-6HRB
6 Herb and Root Special (6 Herbs + Red Bag)
$17.50

http://www.herbmagic.com/six-herb-special.html
Aura Laforest

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:01 pm

MINKBRYAN: Now I'm curious, do any of the above suggestions sound correct to you?
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

SHAKUR1971

Unread post by SHAKUR1971 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:33 pm

Hello Everyone,

Thanks so much for all of the responses that I received in regards to the Root Sticks. You know when I googled a picture of the Licorice Root Stick, it looks just like what I was talking about. It is very powerful. You can easily break the stick and use it a lot of times because you only need to put a small piece in your mouth.

These sticks are so powerful that if for some reason the person who had the sticks in their mouth was to ever let the stick catch on fire, then the person would go to jail. I guess because it is from the old school.

I really appreciate all of the responses and I guess my family and I will have to try someone of the new products that are available today.

Thanks
The Strongest Cards I Have, Are The One's I Haven't Played!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:41 pm

The medical qualities of this product are described in this book, with traditional folkloric remedies for home-herbalists to try.

BOO-BOT-TAMB
This Amazing Book by Sunrae Products Company, ed. cat yronwode
$9.00

http://www.luckymojo.com/thisamazingbook.html
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:56 pm

HER-LIC-RTCH
Licorice Root
$3.50

http://www.herbmagic.com/licorice-root.html
catherine yronwode

Primarose220

Unread post by Primarose220 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:25 pm

Hi,

I have a licorice root stick and I wanted to know what is mainly used for? Especially if it is bend all up.

Sincerely,

Primarose220

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 6:48 pm

You can read more about Licorice here:

http://www.herb-magic.com/licorice-root.html
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

Primarose220

Unread post by Primarose220 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:07 pm

How can you destroy a licorice root stick? Would you burn it?

Primarose220

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:30 pm

If you read earlier in this thread, you will see that burning a licorice stick that you have used to control someone can send them to jail.

I assume you found one to be used to control a person. Of course pray over it that as its burned so the effects will be as you wish, then take the ashes and sprinkle them at a deserted cross road.

Primarose220

Unread post by Primarose220 » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:35 pm

I didn't know who to really talk to about this, alot of people in my family don't discuss things of this nature but my mom knows about it.

It is a single stick and bent all up. So I am assuming he was going to use it for harm.

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 08, 2012 7:39 pm

its normally used to control a person and make them bend to their will so a bent one would signify trying to bend to their will.. you know the person you know their will so go from there. now I told you how to dispose of it.. of course follow with protection work to prevent it again.

Primarose220

Unread post by Primarose220 » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:40 pm

Hi,
A male in my home environment has been using licorice root for something. I found it in his pants pocket, he has been using licorice root to control a woman and dominate over her. Ever since he has came into her life, a lot of bad things have happened like car accidents, mind control, verbal abuse, false idolization in comparing to a dead relative. Everything she does, she does in response to him, and she worships him, as he is a negative influence highly. He bad mouths us negatively and so does she, by degrading us and speaking verb-able abuse. She gets hostile towards us, and he tells her things like did you do what I ask you to do, like she is under a spell. She is mostly depressed and easily influenced by him, and negatively belittle us as if she has done nothing wrong. I asked her one day if she is possessed and she said yes.

1) Is it normal for a person to recognize if they are possessed?

2) What is the best root and most powerful one to use again him, to send him far away, so that our lives can continue on a better note?

3) If the licorice root is all bended up is that meant for evil?

Thank you

Primarose220

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 09, 2012 10:46 pm

1) Many people do recognize this but seem helpless to do anything about it. They are confused in mind, knowing something is wrong, but still staying in thrall to the person controlling them.

2) Try Hot Footing him. See http://luckymojo.com/hotfoot.html for more information.

3) Bending a licorice root may symbolize bending someone to your will, but i have seen results gotten with straight pieces a well.

HER-LIC-RTCH
Licorice Root Chips
$3.50

catherine yronwode

Serenity

Unread post by Serenity » Thu Sep 20, 2012 6:14 pm

My husband and I have been separated for about a week and a half now. I want to do a honey jar for reconciliation and was wondering if Licorice Root would be good for this. He is agreeable to counselling (not something I want to change his mind about) but says he has no hope or desire for reconciliation (something I DO want to change his mind about.)

Miss Bri posted this in a Honey Jar thread:

"Licorice root is appropriate only if the person working the jar wants the upper hand in the relationship and wants to have dominating power.
When I work honey jars for myself or clients, I usually want something that is more equal in nature, but in certain situations licorice root can be a good additive.
See: http://herb-magic.com/licorice-root.html For more information."

In the honey jar I'm also using Star Anise, Balm of Gilead, Red Clover Flowers, Lavendar Flowers, Motherwort, Passion Flower, Pennyroyal, Rose Petals and Violet Leaf, as well as Coriander and Cumin Seeds, Damiana and Rosemarry since his departure was abrupt and I can't help but wonder if there is another woman.

I'm also ordering the Return to Me and Reconciliation Oils for this. I don't have any of his personal concerns stashed away, and just in case I can't get a hold of any I'm trying to give this thing as much of a boost as possible.

So to recap: Licorice Root? Yay or Nay?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Sep 30, 2012 5:32 pm

Licorice Root is one of the sweet-but-intense roots. Its taxonomic name, Glycyrrhiza, means "sweet root" so it can be added to sugar jars and honey jars, if you work with a light hand.

HER-LIC-RTCH
Licorice Root Chips
$3.50

catherine yronwode

plex wendy

Unread post by plex wendy » Fri Oct 05, 2012 7:42 am

aura

hie, how do you use it for "cranky children"? thanks

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 15, 2013 6:01 pm

desiree --

One way i was taught to use licorice on cranky, teething children was literally to have them chew the roots. In Jamaica i have heard licorice called "chew stick." Also, with the flat-cut slices, such as we carry, you can write each person's name on their slice, then place them all in a jar of sugar. Use the sugar for cooking sweet things for the kids.

HER-LIC-RTCH
Licorice Root Chips
$3.50

And for those who really like working with licorice, here is a treat: This is a vintage (new old stock) Fixaco tin, empty, which was made to hold a Licorice-flavoured throat lozenze.

BXX-VIN-FIXA
Vintage Tin Litho Fixaco Box, 1 1/4" x 1 3/4"
$4.25

Tiny, discreet, and cute, the Fixaco tin makes the perfect box-spell to hold a petition paper or tiny Facebook avatar photo and Licorice to control someone. Add Slippery Elm to stop their gossip, and Alum to shut their mouth and voila! Instant 3-ingredient mojo-in-a-tin.
catherine yronwode

BHgirl333

Unread post by BHgirl333 » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:33 pm

Catherine, I loved your suggestion, about making a tiny container spell with Fixaco tin. My question is, how would you use Alum? Would you put their photo in, cross their mouth with an X, add the herbs. But would you roll the photo away from you, or just leave it be and add the herbs and roots on top of it? Can you please explain a little more. I'd like to try it. Thank you so much in advance.

"Tiny, discreet, and cute, the Fixaco tin makes the perfect box-spell to hold a petition paper or tiny Facebook avatar photo and Licorice to control someone. Add Slippery Elm to stop their gossip, and Alum to shut their mouth and voila! Instant 3-ingredient mojo-in-a-tin."
catherine yronwode

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jan 27, 2013 10:43 pm

I'm glad to read this post, it adds another layer for my notes. The tin is definitely cute and compact to use and bury if need. Perfect, thanks cat and thanks for the post BHgirl333.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:23 am

catherineyronwode

Maybe I should get some of these -- because FIXaco! :)

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 10, 2019 1:04 pm

This product qualifies to be included in the Lucky Mojo 6 Herb Tea Special.

Buy six herbs for use as teas and receive a free small muslin tea steeping bag. To qualify for this special you must select six of the $3.50 HER (SKU code) items listed in this section. Botanical and Mineral Curios do not qualify for this special.

HER-ZSP-6TEA
6 Herb Tea Special (6 Herb Teas + Small Muslin Bag)
$17.50

http://www.herbmagic.com/six-herb-tea-special.html
catherine yronwode

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”