• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

It is currently Sat Nov 18, 2017 4:09 am

Acrylic Mexican Lucky Pyramid & Buddha

How to select, dress, fix, empower, and employ Lucky Mojo magical amulets, charms, seals, papers, talismans, and jewelry.

Acrylic Mexican Lucky Pyramid & Buddha

Unread postby zaramad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:19 pm

Does anyone have any additional information they might share on the acrylic Mexican lucky pyramids and Buddha statues with the assorted talismans inside?

I just purchased one of each here in the online shop, but would love to have more information about any lore surrounding them and their use.

They were mentioned briefly by the late S. Jason Black in his book "Urban Voodoo", but without much further information beyond a brief description beyond what they look like and their ubiquity around the botanicas here in Los Angeles.

Are there any customary ways of dressing, charging, or using them in practical work? Any info, leads, or anecdotes would be much appreciated!

PERQVAERENS ARCANVM ARCANORVM

-=Z=-
zaramad

Re: Acrylic Mexican Lucky Pyramid & Buddha

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 27, 2012 5:06 pm

They date from the late 1980s or early 1990s. They are handmade, each one different, and seem to be manufactured in small runs by back-yard artisans, not in factories. See:

THE MEXICAN SNOW-GLOBE PYRAMID OF LUCK
http://www.luckymojo.com/snowglobepyramid.html

They are not "traditional" in any long-term sense, but represent the usual cross-cultural and exploratory recombinance of folkloric magical practices worldwide. The styles change continuously; the Buddha figures of the 1990s have given way to Mano Poderosas in the early 2000s, and now we see a lot of them with figures of Santisima Muerte inside.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby zaramad » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Thanks Cat!

Yes, there don't seem to be as many of them being sold as were a few years ago, and while one sees a lot of them displayed in local botanicas and small businesses in the Latin community, they're not that easy to come by if one wishes to buy one.

In addition to the Pyramid and Buddha I just ordered from you today, I managed to purchase 3 very nice pyramids here in LA.

The young lady who helped me said that the largest one in the center was for Prosperity and Business Success, the smallest on the left for Protection and Power, and the medium-sized one on the right for Protection and Abundance. They also had a large number of blue ones the same size as the largest of these three, all containing figurines of La Sanctissima Muerte, who is much revered here in Los Angeles as protectress of those forsaken or actively persecuted by Establishment society.

Thanks again for the information!

PERQVAERENS ARCANVM ARCANORVM

-=Z=-
zaramad

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Feb 27, 2012 10:16 pm

Well, i hope you are not disappointed in the contents of the one you get from us. We can no longer guarentee what is inside. There are too many variations these days.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Wed Feb 29, 2012 2:30 pm

I'm glad to see these mentioned on the forums. Every time I am up at the Lucky Mojo store I "oooh & ahhhh" at these! They are beautiful works of art.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Newsletter

Return to Amulets, Charms, Seals, Papers, and Jewelry in Hoodoo