• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

It is currently Wed Nov 22, 2017 4:57 am

What's the different between an Amulet and Talisman?

How to select, dress, fix, empower, and employ Lucky Mojo magical amulets, charms, seals, papers, talismans, and jewelry.

What's the different between an Amulet and Talisman?

Unread postby master4 » Sun May 09, 2010 6:33 pm

What would you called an Ankh?
Is it an Amulet or a Talisman?

I have an Ankh i an wearing now for the past 15 years or more and i was wondering if i can used it as my protection or good luck charm.
What can i used to clean my Ankh?

Thank for all advice.
master4

Re: What's the different between an Amulet and Talisman?

Unread postby Turnsteel » Sun May 09, 2010 6:56 pm

Hi.

Thiswill tell you what a amulet is and Thisexplains what a talisman is.

In modern terms tho the two terms are often used interchangeably.

master4 wrote:What would you called an Ankh?

Neither, I think, its not a protective charm, nor is it lucky, its the ancient Egyptian symbol of life, both here and in the after life.

master4 wrote:I have an Ankh i an wearing now for the past 15 years or more and i was wondering if i can used it as my protection or good luck charm.

If you bless and fix it, yeah almost any piece of jewelry can be fixed for luck or protection. If you don't know how to do it I suggest you heir a rootworker to do it for you, I believe a few members of the AIRR will fix jewelry for people.

master4 wrote:What can i used to clean my Ankh?

Hoyt's Cologne,Florida Water, Van Van incense/oil, you can wash it in a tea made from cleansing herbs or bath crystals. There are many options.

http://www.luckymojo.com/vanvan.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoyts.html

http://www.luckymojo.com/floridakanangawater.html

Hope that helps :)
Good Luck in your work :D
Turnsteel

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sun May 09, 2010 6:57 pm

I learned that an amulet is something meant to protect against something, whereas a talisman draw something. However, the two have become so conflated that they are often used interchangeably.

I think an ankh is more of a protective device, as it is a symbol of a particular faith, and also of Life. But it's been yours for 15 years, so what does it mean to you?

There are many different ways that you can clean it. You can smudge the ankh with cleansing herbs if you wish to clean it. Or wipe it down with a tea of cleansing herbs &/or holy water. Depending on what it's made from you could also use salt water, or leave the pendant in a bowl of salt.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun May 09, 2010 6:58 pm

LM pages found here http://www.luckymojo.com/willss15ankh.html lists it as an amulet

You can use Van Van found here...http://www.luckymojo.com/vanvan.html
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Sun May 09, 2010 9:21 pm

The ankh *is* an amulet. While it is certainly the symbol of Eternal Life, Man and Woman etc etc, it is ultimately an apotropiac object that wards off evil, illness, and unnatural death.

The ankh found in the hands of a god or goddess is symbolic of their dominion over an aspect of life and death. When worn by the average person the ankh invokes the power of those gods to stave off the evil that may interfere with the natural order of things.

In modern usuage not everyone makes a distinction between talisman and amulet, but I find the distinction useful.
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Sun May 09, 2010 11:53 pm

Be careful with the ankh, as it's been appropriated by some left-hand cliques. I'd use it in the same awareness as one would use the swastika... it might be a powerful and lucky charm, but one that is also iconographically confusing for people who aren't aware of it. If you're wearing it to make a statement, make sure you know what statement that is you're making.

I've worn the ankh and I've never had a problem, but I know several people who have been automatically mistaken for somebody they weren't because of it, often people mistake the ankh for the Satanic Baphomet due to it's appropriation in vampire/dark magic sorts of fiction. I highly suggest wearing it tucked away, unless you're around people who know the real meaning of it.

My experiences with the ankh: The ankh IS very, very good at giving the wearer the impression of spiritual authority. If you're wanting to present yourself as a guru or a real spiritual person, the ankh IS DEFINITELY the talisman to wear. I've had people I had never met before in my life approach me and start conversations about death and the afterlife, out of nowhere. It's a very powerful symbol and I have actually had to stop wearing it because that wasn't the image I wanted to create about myself (I want to be approachable, but not THAT way... hee hee). The ankh is very good if you wear if you're helping a grieving person, whether they see it or not.
cognitivedissonance

Unread postby master4 » Mon May 10, 2010 4:45 pm

Thanks for all advice. My Ankh is sliver and I wear it because i dint know of any other think
to wear and i don't like wearing the Cross.
master4

Unread postby Hartleigh » Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:33 am

Traditionally a talisman is an ensouled object; a non-living object which has some of the attributes of living things. Some talismans seem to have minds of their own, and they are very active on the spirit plane. Legendary talismans in ancient times were statues that came to life. Mojo bags are talismans because they are given a spirit or awakened by the practitioner, but there are many other kinds of talisman in a multiplicity of traditions.

Amulets are usually lucky or protective objects which have their own innate power, and are more passive than talismans. A crystal pendant has metaphysical properties, but isn't necessarily alive. A blue evil eye amulet hasn't necessarily been infused with spirit, yet it is said to be effective anyway.

I personally break things down into more categories, but ultimately the question is where the source of the power is because it will somewhat determine the powers, maintenance, and limitations of the object.
Hartleigh

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to Amulets, Charms, Seals, Papers, and Jewelry in Hoodoo