Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Virus?

Ask here for help or report problems with the Lucky Mojo Forum.
path2success

Virus?

Unread post by path2success » Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:37 am

Past 3-4 days I am not opening any website on my computer except for LM website and at times when I click on the link of New posts I get an adware popup saying your computer has been affected and it takes me to some totalscan webpage. I immediately closed it. When I open google home page or mail nothing happens.
Not sure if some third party can do anything to a website but just thought of putting this up to see if anyone else has faced similar issues.

nagasiva
Site Admin
Re: Virus?

Unread post by nagasiva » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:04 am

It sounds like your system may be infected with malware or a virus. One of the things some of these things do is block your ability to download tools to remove them or your ability to search for ways to remove them, which may be why you are finding web sites and searches blocked. This is especially true if you have pop ups telling you you may be infected, as there is currently at least two malware infections that I am aware of that do this (my father was just infected himself).

Unfortunately, if your system is infected, the only advice I can give is to take your system to a repair facility or call a computer technician to come to you. This type of issue is not easy to get out of without access to an uninfected system, knowing what tools to use and how to use them, and having ways of getting those tools to the infected system bypassing the blocks the infection is throwing up.

I wish I could give you an easier answer, but that's my advice.
nagasiva yronwode
https://www.facebook.com/nagasiva.yronwode
forum@luckymojo.com (Forum Tech Help)

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Sun Sep 27, 2009 8:43 am

Thank you! I just wanted to confirm it was nothing to do with the site.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Sep 27, 2009 9:44 am

Path2sucess, if you PM me I can give you a few suggestions...
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

MightyAphrodite

TECH HELP NEEDED: Virus Warning When Browsing LM Forum

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Sat Jan 09, 2010 2:50 pm

Thought I'd mention this, since it's the 2nd time this has happened recently.

I was just read a forum post in the annointing oils section and clicked my back button. Instead of going back to the index, it went to another URL which triggered my AVG software to give me a virus alert. The alert says:
Threat detected!
Threat name: Virus identified HTML/FRAMER.BZ

It also happened last week, when I went to read more posts in an old thread (not the one I was reading today) and instead of taking me to the thread, it went to that same link.

It doesn't happen every time I visit this forum.
It's not on the same post/threads.
It's only happened on this LM forum, never on the LM products/info site, nor on any other website I visit.
I run my AVG virus checker every night and it doesn't seem there's anything on my machine.
Is it possible someone was able to infect the forum software?

CopperFox
HRCC Student
Re: Virus Warning When Browsing LM Forum

Unread post by CopperFox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:03 pm

I have had something similar happen while reading on the site a few times; it seems completely random. When I run my malware check; however, it detects nothing. Hopefully the site admin is aware of the issue and working to keep the forum virus free.
Michelle Hunter, a.k.a that Tricky CopperFox
I will lift mine eyes up to the mountains, from whence comes my strength...
Psalm 121

1usyuyl

Unread post by 1usyuyl » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:30 pm

that happened to me today, too. but i had that warning very often last week.i thought was just my computer.

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:35 pm

phpBB is known to give off false positives on a variety of anti-virus/anti-malware software. It has to do with session ID information, which phpBB will use occasionally in the URLs and links, which the anti-virus/anti-malware software try and interpret as an attempt at usurping your computer. AVG seems to be particularly susceptible to this, which is one of the reasons I personally no longer use it myself.

Having said that, the forums are checked regularly, and every time someone reports an issue they are checked again, just to be on the safe side. And so far, everything appears to be in order.

On that specific link, I don't know why your browser tried to do that. That particular link does not show up anywhere within the forum posts nor in the code. I do confirm that it IS an infected website, but why it's showing up for you while you are reading the forum I can't explain. I WILL keep looking though, as I take every such report seriously.
nagasiva yronwode

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:47 pm

Thank you, Art, for your vigilance!

Vielen dank,
Michelle
Psalm 121

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:50 pm

In doing some research on this particular message, I have some information that it many cases it is a Trojan infection, which is a program that has managed to insert itself into your computer by pretending to be something else (like the Trojan horse). You may need to use additional tools other than AVG to find and/or remove it if this is the case. Some I recommend (and I'd recommend using more than one just to play it safe):

Spybot Search and Destroy
WinPatrol
Super AntiSpyware
COMODO

They each have free versions, so they can't hurt to try.
nagasiva yronwode

CopperFox
HRCC Student

Unread post by CopperFox » Sat Jan 09, 2010 3:55 pm

Thanks for the recommendations. Is there any reason to suspect that our spammer du jour, Tasha Woddy, may have anything to do with this? If so, we would all be wise to avoid her posts and the PM's she's been hitting everyone with under assorted user names.
Psalm 121

faith2008

Unread post by faith2008 » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:23 pm

CopperFox wrote:Thanks for the recommendations. Is there any reason to suspect that our spammer du jour, Tasha Woddy, may have anything to do with this? If so, we would all be wise to avoid her posts and the PM's she's been hitting everyone with under assorted user names.
I was wondering the same thing since I had sent her a PM before I knew she was spamming and I didn't have any warnings until after I tried to click back from that PM.

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:26 pm

It's possible, but those posts and accounts should be getting purged (at least all the ones I'm aware of are). Those typically trace to Nigeria, and are usually attempts at getting certain words and phrases scanned by Google to give added weight to web sites they want people to go to to be ripped off, or attempts at getting people to send messages to email addresses to add to their spamvertising lists.
nagasiva yronwode

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:37 pm

You will have the option of deleting them. Going to the messages will present you with a list of them, which you can then chose to read individually or perform operations such as deletion on. As a side note, that particular user is part of the Nigerian spammer net, and has already been banned. I didn't think to check for private messages to purge though, that's a new wrinkle. My bad.
nagasiva yronwode

MysticRootworker

Unread post by MysticRootworker » Sat Jan 09, 2010 4:43 pm

Thanks Art- I saw earlier where she was spamming people so I was forewarned. I Love this forum and I am addicted to it already. Thanks to all of you who make this possible for us to all learn and share!
Have a nice evening.

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Mon Jan 11, 2010 11:43 am

Thanks, Art! If it happens again, I'll make a point of copying the triggering URL.

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:19 pm

My AVG gave me that same virus warning today when I clicked this link:

viewtopic.php?f=24&t=4503

So maybe it's just as you said about AVG false positives, but thought I'd post it for you anyways.

kmew1315
Forum Member

Unread post by kmew1315 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:41 pm

Based on my limited knowledge of forums, I don't know of any way that reading a post or pm from a spammer can give you a virus. If you click on any links in those messages though, then all bets are off.
-Kevin, otherwise known as kmew1315

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Fri Jan 22, 2010 12:46 pm

If websites can be infected with viruses/trojans by hackers, then it stands to reason that forums could be too. Although I'm inclined to think that what is happening to me is the false-positives you mentioned happen with AVG (since that's what I use.)

But your advice about not clicking links in people's posts is wise. I only click links to LM posts and not anyones signature links.

FLIGHTY1

Unread post by FLIGHTY1 » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:02 pm

hello DID want to say anything but I have had several viruses that have come in while visiting this site to were I can't turn my computer screen on I recently just got it back from the company for repair but that doesn't stop me from coming back I thought I pissed someone off on the forum and that was there way to stop me from making newbie posting mistakes now I now I'm not alone I just had a warning half hour ago turned my pc off for while then tuned it back on it must be something hidden that you can't see but it's here glad someone out ted it :lol:

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:51 pm

No Flight1, there are no viruses hidden on the site. I have gone over and over the code, there is nothing infected. Unless someone has posted an infected link in their forum post and you clicked it, there is nothing on the forum that can cause a virus infection.
nagasiva yronwode

swtgirl

Unread post by swtgirl » Wed Jan 27, 2010 3:05 pm

Hi, I was just browsing the section to purchase items and I got the anti spyware banners popping up, when I clicked on the oils section to purchase. It said that I had a bunch of viruses on my computer and wanted me to click the banner, but I know from experience that these are bad news, once you click on them, they down load spyware to your computer that is ridiculously hard to remove. So, there is some kind of virus or spam in that section of the website.

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Thu Jan 28, 2010 9:09 am

I have once again gone over the website code and once again found nothing within the code that is not supposed to be there. There are no viruses or spam on the site and there is no code injected into the forum to cause pop ups.

While it is remotely possible that specific posts made by specific individuals have included in their text links to infected web sites not associated with Lucky Mojo, I have endeavored to check daily for such postings and regularly check new users for links in their signatures that might do so. It is possible I may have missed something, but if so I need specific links to postings and/or users that have such links. A general "somewhere in this section" doesn't help me, because that suggests the forum code itself is the problem and not a post, and I can categorically say the code is fine.

I will reiterate that an infected user's system can cause pop ups and page redirections that have nothing to do with the site being viewed. The infection can randomly cause pop ups or page redirections irregardless of what you may actually be viewing, or trigger based on criteria seen as "tailoring" to what you are viewing. I have included above links to several utilities that may help in this area.
nagasiva yronwode

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:27 pm

Art, you're really on top of things. I know this stuff can be tedious.

I'm pretty much ignoring the pop-up warnings at this point. It still happens a lot. I just cross my fingers and back space. Then I try again and it usually works. There is no rhyme or reason as to which links cause it.

The only thing I want to add though is this: Previously, I hadn't experienced this on anything but the forum. But several times this week it's happened when I was reading something on the LM book content site (where you can read the background and spells for the products.)

It does not happen on any other websites I visit! And believe me, I waste time ALL DAY on the intenet. ;)

kmew1315
Forum Member

Unread post by kmew1315 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 2:45 pm

Wait.... why did my post show up as just quoting the old post with nothing new? Anyway, I quoted the last paragraph and told of how I had an experience with a virus on my computer that would change the ads on existing sites like Yahoo and other legitimate sites that were not infected or hacked.

nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread post by nagasiva » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:17 pm

As weird as this may sound MightyAphrodite, have you tried using a different web browser than your usual one to tool around the LM Forum? If you are still experiencing issues, I'm still hopeful it can be tracked down, even if it means there's something I'm missing in the forum code (which is why I keep checking every time someone reports again; if I was perfect, I'd be in another line of work... :) ).

Some alternative browsers just in case anyone would like to test this aspect:

Firefox
Opera
Safari
Google Chrome

And if you really want to get geeky, there's this one that can act as several other browsers depending on your mood:
Lunascape

If the problem follows you through more than one browser, then it's more likely the forum itself (but still not conclusively; if anything was conclusive with computers, there would be no need for techs!). If it doesn't follow to other browsers, especially if you primarily use Internet Explorer, then it's likely something that's hijacking your browser from within your own computer (but, again, not conclusively).

The lovely joy of dealing with anything computer related, diagnosing any issue is worse than diagnosing a sick pet. :)
nagasiva yronwode

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:28 pm

Sure, I have Chrome and will use that for a few days to help you test.

kmew1315
Forum Member

Unread post by kmew1315 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:32 pm

Can I give my computer a 13-herb bath to cleanse it?

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:41 pm

I have also received the virus warning twice yesterday when I clicked on the forum link. I keep getting this occasionally; thought I'll mention now so it can help in tracking. It opens a popup - I usually do a Ctrl+Alt+Del & kill the thread. I have etrust, PC Tools running on my system.I've also used Malaware to test my system but nothing comes up.

Turnsteel

Unread post by Turnsteel » Thu Jan 28, 2010 3:55 pm

kmew1315 wrote:Can I give my computer a 13-herb bath to cleanse it?

Please oh god please tell me your kidding,lol.
path2success wrote:I have also received the virus warning twice yesterday when I clicked on the forum link. I keep getting this occasionally; thought I'll mention now so it can help in tracking. It opens a popup - I usually do a Ctrl+Alt+Del & kill the thread. I have etrust, PC Tools running on my system.I've also used Malaware to test my system but nothing comes up.
What browser are you using? I've checked the site with IE FireFox and Opera, and got no issues.

kmew1315
Forum Member

Unread post by kmew1315 » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:27 pm

HailDiscordia wrote:
Please oh god please tell me your kidding,lol.
So you're saying it's not a good idea?

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:36 pm

I use Chrome and sometimes IE and have never experienced the virus warning.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Fri Jan 29, 2010 2:18 pm

I have horrid windows vista and use Firefox with no problems. You cannot sneeze on windows vista without it giving a warning.

path2success

Unread post by path2success » Fri Jan 29, 2010 7:55 pm

I use XP with IE 7.0

Roman

Google tagged LM page as having Malware

Unread post by Roman » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:16 am

On the offchance that this has not been brought to the LM staff attention, I
was just searching for a chinese wash recipe on Google and it appears that Google has tagged

http://www.luckymojo.com/spells/recipes.html

as having malware.

I have screenshots of it, if anyone on the LM staff wants to see them, please PM me an email address where I can send them. I tried emailing them to Cat, however, I got the auto-responder message, which I totally understand (I had to implement an analogous system for ezilikonnen.com) yet I don't know whether she will get that email (on the system I implemented, we get the person's message anyway)

Hope this helps,

M.Roman

mamigrl

Re: Google tagged LM page as having Malware

Unread post by mamigrl » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:00 pm

Roman,
I can attest to this. I had to change my browsers settings to get to the LM site. I use Firefox, I am not sure about IE.

nagasiva
Site Admin
Re: Google tagged LM page as having Malware

Unread post by nagasiva » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:17 pm

Yes, we are looking into the issue. The page in question is definitely clean, so why Google is reporting it as malware is unknown. We're still trying to get further info on it to find out how to correct the Google entry.
nagasiva yronwode

MightyAphrodite

Unread post by MightyAphrodite » Thu Feb 11, 2010 12:32 pm

Hello Art,
Just letting you know that I've been using Chrome instead of IE on the LM sites for the last 2 weeks. I usually log in once per day. I'm still using AVG. Haven't had an incidence of virus warning pop ups since I started using Chrome here, whereas before it was happening nearly every time I visited. This seems to back up your theory that it was false positives from AVG that come up when using IE, not Chrome.

Livia Indica

Trojan Horse

Unread post by Livia Indica » Sun Feb 21, 2010 12:30 pm

Hi, my Avast security just detected a Trojan horse malware on this site. Just thought you folks would want to know.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Re: Trojan Horse

Unread post by Devi Spring » Sun Feb 21, 2010 2:30 pm

People have been getting false positives with various security - nothing has ever actually been present. The forum is clean!
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

HannahSarah999

Unread post by HannahSarah999 » Sun Oct 31, 2010 10:04 am

Thank you for the heads up on this issue. :)

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator
malware error message

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sat Oct 20, 2012 5:13 pm

I have constantly been getting a malware error message every time I am in one particular thread. The thread in question is:

candles-trim,-carve,-load,-petition,-pr ... 8s360.html

...and the warning message that comes up, no matter if I am in Google Chrome or Firefox browser, and even after I run a Full Norton System Scan, and clear all cache and history, is as follows:
Warning: Something's Not Right Here!
forum.luckymojo.com contains content from mymetalbin.com, a site known to distribute malware. Your computer might catch a virus if you visit this site.
Google has found malicious software may be installed onto your computer if you proceed. If you've visited this site in the past or you trust this site, it's possible that it has just recently been compromised by a hacker. You should not proceed, and perhaps try again tomorrow or go somewhere else.
We have already notified mymetalbin.com that we found malware on the site. For more about the problems found on mymetalbin.com, visit the Google Safe Browsing diagnostic page.
Go back
If you understand that visiting this site may harm your computer, proceed anyway.

Help improve detection of malware by sending additional data to Google about sites on which you see this warning. This data will be handled in accordance with the Safe Browsing privacy policies.
I would not even think to bring this up, but it keep happening in random threads and it has repeated happened in the above linked thread, especially after I go past page 13-16 and beyond.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

stelz
Forum Member
Re: TECH HELP NEEDED: Virus Warning When Browsing LM Forum

Unread post by stelz » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:19 pm

I don't get the warnings - I'm using IE at the moment with McAfee virus protection. Not saying that's better or worse, just offering the information in case it can help you guys figure this out.

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Forum Technical Help”