Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Wishful Thinking: Chat Room, iPhone App, etc.

Ask here for help or report problems with the Lucky Mojo Forums.
hysteria

Wishful Thinking: Chat Room, iPhone App, etc.

Unread post by hysteria » Sat Sep 18, 2010 11:48 am

I was refered to this site due to a problem I am having.

I was looking for a chat room -- is there one?

Turnsteel

Re: Looking for a chat room

Unread post by Turnsteel » Sat Sep 18, 2010 3:55 pm

hysteria wrote:I was looking for a chat room -- is there one?

No. You can post in the forum marked "Ask for help with your situation" to, well, ask for help with your situation.

GoddessMojo
iPhone/iPad apps for forums - wishful thinking?

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Sat Sep 22, 2012 10:17 pm

Hi all!
I'm finding that more and more I don't use my laptop all that much for my daily internet browsing habits, and as a result I don't make it to the forum nearly as often as I used to or would like - it's tough to read in Safari on the little phone screen.

I started looking around at apps for following forums, and I've found a few that work with vBulletin message boards but it appears the forum owners have to install a plugin on their end to make a forum available on the app. Tappatalk seems most popular and to have the most features, but it is a 2.99 app for users and I don't know what the cost of the plugin for the forum owners is.

So I'm curious to know if I'm the only one who would be head over heels to be able to easily access the forums via an app for my iPhone, and also if cat and krewe would be willing to install such a plugin, for those of us who have migrated to using our mobile devices more often than our computers. If there IS a cost for the plugin, perhaps those of us who would use it could send some paypal love to the cause- I know I would...and I'd be happy to offer any technical assistance with it, I do have vBulletin experience.

Thoughts?
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: iPhone/iPad apps for forums - wishful thinking?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:21 pm

Due to my low vision, i will never be able to use a mobile device for internet connectivity. I have a 26 inch wide screen and wish it were bigger.

But of course i am interested in making the forum accessible to all -- no question about that.

As it so happens, we are using an older verion of phpBB forum software and we are currently looking for someone to hire to do some maintenance and upgrades on the forum now anyway. I will keep what you said in mind.

If cost becomes a stumbling block, i'll just ask everyone to buy more oils!
catherine yronwode

Doctor Hob
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Doctor Hob » Sat Sep 22, 2012 11:48 pm

My particular vision problems make it almost impossible to use a proper computer. Just keeping up with the chat on the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour taxes what little eyesight I have left. I spent my first year being blind using my smartphone for all my internet needs. Recently, I was gifted an iPad, which made things easier, but hardly simple. I have, and will continue to, manage here on the forum, despite my limitations. I would certainly be thrilled at anything that improved its mobile device accessibility.
Two-Headed Doctor

Fixerkitty

Unread post by Fixerkitty » Sun Sep 23, 2012 1:14 am

I'm an administrator on a couple PHPBB forums and I know that some of my members log in just fine from their tablets. I'd see what web browser you're running--some can work fine with the tablets' software, others don't, and from what I understand it's a matter of trial and error.

Unfortunately I don't know SQL or the main PHP language--another of my admins handles all that for me. I'm basically the Keeper of the Holy Hammer of Ban and the boards' bouncer, so that's pretty much all I know on the subject.

Sorry I can't be of further help. I'd poke around on Google and see what turns up.
Beneath my feet I can feel
That I'm a slave,
Slave to Gravity
--Neuroactive

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:56 am

Thanks cat! I'll look around and see what I can find for phpBB- which I've worked with but not in about a decade. The advantages of an app would be that it keeps one logged in, would put all the new messages 'up top', make the (absolutely fine, just not great for mobile) design more useable on a mobile device, make accessing the board simpler for mobile users. With my phone browser, I have to open the browser, wait for it to load, enlarge the screen to be able to hit the login space, type my login each time, wait for the new page to load, enlarge IT so I can clck on titles and page numbers. With an app it would just be - open the app, read the forums, respond, close when done. I honestly think it might increase readership.

As for smartphone use, there are a surprising amount of uses for those with extremely low vision. An ex boyfriend of mine with vision similar to but worse than yours (I've read your descriptions)- essentially totally bline except for shadow and light, uses a 'sonar' type app on his smart phone to navigate new or busy places by himself, got from a residential area in south Austin to downtown via the bus on his own. And is able to use voice activated commands to use most apps.
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:39 pm

I have a company that I can refer you to. I just did business with them. I asked them for help on my site. They are not a fly by night, and they have experience. I will give you their name the next time we speak. The owner lived in California, but now in Florida. It is worth checking out.
They can do an app as well.
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Sat Nov 10, 2012 4:20 am

It's actually not any kind of problem with the browser. I browse on my phone, not a tablet, and dealing with re-sizing each page every time I click and scrolling sideways to read everything...the keyboard in it is just cumbersome and I'm lazy is all. Native built apps often have their own keyboard and navigation built to be easier from the phone, bigger buttons, direct navigation, a mobile design to make viewing on a smaller screen easier.

ACTUALLY...a responsive mobile design for mobile users of the board would do most of those things without an app. I have worked with phpBB, though admittedly not in about 8 years, and I do know php and mySQL, deal with apps, and have message board experience from both front/design end and tech end viewpoints, too. So if you need another hand, you know I'm here.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Looking for a chat room

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Dec 10, 2012 6:14 pm

Hysteria, we don't use chat here because we are often dealing with the learning and teaching of magical spells, conjure tricks, rootwork rituals, and the like -- and we want a more permanent and accessible record of what has been said that we can find using chat software.

That said, there is a chat room associated with the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour Radio Show, and you can join it every week while the radio show is on.
catherine yronwode

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Forum Technical Help”