Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Television Shows That Mention Hoodoo

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
bowright78

Television Shows That Mention Hoodoo

Unread post by bowright78 » Sun Aug 16, 2009 8:03 am

I don't know if anybody watches adultswim(cartoon network) but I found a reference to hoodoo and the blues on one of their shows. The show is called Metalocalypse and the main characters are in a death metal band called dethklok. In this episode the band is depressed and the oldest living blues man takes them to the delta to educate them on the blues. If you go on adultswim.com, go to the catagory "shows" and find Metalocalypse-then videos-then favorites. You'll have to scroll through the episodes because their not in order, but here are the names to look for: Mississipi delta, Giving the Blues, Dethlok Blues, Crossroads.

I MUST WARN YOU!!!! The show is very violent and graphic. These episodes in particular aren't too bad though. The cartoon is actrually supposed to a comedy(BTW when searching for this show it's in the comedy catagory) and if you can get past the blood and guts...I guess it can be funny. LOL. I usually don't watch it myself, but I enjoy adultswim and watch Boondocks religiously and happened to come across it.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Metalocalypes and the Blues

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 16, 2009 4:52 pm

Thanks for the pointer. Something tells me i won;t be watching, 'cause blood and guts is not my thing (too much rought stuff in the world as it is -- i can barely sit through the youtube video of Dick Van Dyke explaining slapstick comedy). But i'm sure others will enjoy it.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

bowright78

Unread post by bowright78 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:54 am

Your welcome. I don't like blood and guts either, thats why I put the warning out for people sensitive to that stuff. It's a shame because they had a cool theme going with the story. Dick Van Dyke and slapstick comedy...lol lol lol...I agree with you on that. Truly a scary experience!

bowright78

Unread post by bowright78 » Mon Aug 17, 2009 7:56 am

BTW Mrs Cat..did you read my other post about John Domingo of Charleston S.C.( Do you know anything about him at all? His nickname was the black constable.

misslicorice

Unread post by misslicorice » Mon Aug 24, 2009 7:51 am

I love Metalocalypse! I would have never expected to see it mentioned on this forum, but Bluesklok is a relevant episode. The best part is when the band tries to trick the devil they meet at the crossroads. :P

MydniteSon

Unread post by MydniteSon » Thu Jul 29, 2010 10:59 pm

That was probably my favorite episode of the series. I literally fell out of my chair laughing when they did the contract negotiation with the Devil at the crossroads.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator
Ancestor Veneration on Paranormal State

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon Oct 25, 2010 1:40 pm

It's not hoodoo per se, but since conjure does have a strong element of African ancestral venerating traditions I thought it was worth a mention.

Last night on Paranormal State they were at a South Carolina prison that had been used to beat slaves into submission, or execute them entirely for insubordination. The PRS team was asking about the moral/ethical implications of a ghost tour company running very historically white-washed tours (they didn't mention the slaves being there at all and only talked about white inmates) in a place where so much pain was suffered by innocent people.

The next day a Yoruban priest showed up saying that his spirits had come to him to tell him to go to the jail and find out who was disturbing the spirits. His ancestors had come to him to compel him to go there! He explained that showing up and using the spirits as entertainment was extremely disrespectful, and in the African traditions they respected their dead. He had the team make an offering of fruit, water to cool the ground, and candles to the spirits of the jail to show respect and make peace.

The PRS team took the priest, called Dr. O to the ghost tour owner, and the owner agreed to hire Dr. O as a consultant to help his company be more respectful of the African spirits. They alluded to the fact that they were going to make sure to include information about the slaves that were kept and killed there to the tour, and also leave regular offerings.

So that was neat. It reminded me of the ghost tours that I took when I was in NOLA. Our guide brought offerings with her to every haunted site, greeting the spirits like people and friends with respect, and inviting them to show themselves or not as they pleased. It was nice to see the dead respected in that way, rather than treated as pure "entertainment".
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator
Re: Ancestor Veneration on Paranormal State

Unread post by Miss Bri » Mon Oct 25, 2010 2:34 pm

Hey that's interesting Devi--thanks for sharing!
Blessings,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Mon Oct 25, 2010 3:48 pm

Thank you for sharing Devi!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Oct 25, 2010 9:27 pm

This sort of plot has appeared before, sans paranormal trappings. There was an episode of Homicide: Life on the Street that dealt in a similar way with the "whitewashing" of a historical site.

All such fictions are based on some hard truths, many of which have been corrected by archaeologists and docents in the South and East.

For instance, when i was a kid and visited Mount Vernon, the home of George Washington, there was no mention by the docents that he kept slaves, and the old slave quarters had been eliminated. This was true of a number of other Southern plantations open to the public on tours during my childhood.

Nowadays, however, when you tour such sites, they show you the archaeological excavations of the slave quarters and explain the artifacts found there.

At Mount Vernon, for instance, a bundle was found in the old slave quarters that contained a raccoon penis bone.

There are no raccoons in Africa, but raccoon penis bones were commonly used as ritual objects among people of various Native American tribes.

Thus the implication of this penis bone bundle is that either George Washington had Native Americans among his slaves or that Native American folk magic had already entered African slave traditions through intermarriage and other social contact by the time that George Washington owned and operated his slave plantation in the 1700s.

Either premise is more interesting than the polite lie that George Washington had no slaves.
catherine yronwode

Azumi_chan
HRCC Student

Unread post by Azumi_chan » Tue Oct 26, 2010 7:20 pm

Amazing post Devi! I love that show because they are very respectful of the spirits they come in contact with and also they get the spirits out of the home if needed and not just investigate and leave like other paranormal shows. ^_^

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator
"Wake up Your Mojo" in an Orange Juice ad on TV

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:30 pm

I just saw an TV ad that was playing in the background, the tag line was "Wake up your Mojo", and it showed a couple getting married and was an ad for Orange Juice. The couple was getting into their car with the whole "just married" going on. Now this is some Hoodoo in The News and talk about smart advertising.
Hoodoo in Herb and Root Magic, by our Miss Cat Yronwode, includes many helpful things for us to know one of them is about "Getting Married and Oranges". Just thought It would be a nice share.What do you want to bet someone on that creative team knows about this book that we love and learn from?
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html
Just thought y'all might like the share. :D
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: "Wake up Your Mojo"

Unread post by jwmcclin » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:24 pm

You are rather insightful Triplethreat! Thanks for the plug.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

aura
Forum Moderator
Hoodoo in Television Series

Unread post by aura » Fri May 13, 2011 4:47 am

As I spend rainy afternoons knitting, there is usually a television series of the sci-fi variety playing as background noise on the computer. (Yes I admit - a true geek am I :ugeek: LOL!) Recently, I came upon two references to Hoodoo others might be interested in:

X-Files; Season 5; Episode = Theef
The antagonist in this episode seems to be (albeit not called that) a root doctor. Use of graveyard dirt, goofer dust and poppets are prominent as well as the use of personal concerns to aim work at a specific party.

The Fringe; Season 2; Episode 5
Two of the protagonists move into a new apartment. The African-American FBI agent / lab assistant whom they work with brings them a housewarming gift for good luck of bread and salt.
Aura Laforest
----------------------------------------
Thank you, St. Joseph of Cupertino

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator
Re: Hoodoo in television series

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun May 15, 2011 1:29 pm

Interesting.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue May 17, 2011 9:19 am

Thank you so much for sharing those hoodoo sightings Aura! Great eagle-eye!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

teaberryred

Unread post by teaberryred » Sun May 22, 2011 11:57 pm

Thank you Cat,
For all the time you spent bringing all the wonderful reading on this site.I am so lucky to be a member
and given the change to learn . :D

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Jun 06, 2011 6:59 pm

Just to clarify:

The X-Files episode in question is indeed entitled "Theef", however it is Season 7, Episode 14. Just watched it tonight and while it was very, very, very sensationalized horror entertainment, it was interesting to see the representation of the poppet, personal concerns, graveyard dirt, goofer dust, etc. on television.

Thank you for the info aura! My wife and I enjoyed reliving a very cool episode of the X-Files!

-Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Tue Jun 07, 2011 6:27 am

Thank you for the correction Joseph! (Just goes to show that methinks its time for a major cleanup in the video archives of mine house... :oops: )

Another few of sightings: this time in the series Supernatural. Keep in mind however that the series is aimed towards teens and it's somewhat reminiscent of Buffy the Vampire Slayer. Therefore, again, the accounts and illustrations are
Joseph Magnuson wrote:very, very, very sensationalized horror entertainment
!

That said, one does see references to Van Van oil, goofer dust as well as the cross-roads ritual (full with a historical flash-back referencing Bob Johnson - no... they didn't quite get their history right ;) )
Aura Laforest

WittyJackalope

fast food commercial shows "bad luck" items

Unread post by WittyJackalope » Mon Jul 11, 2011 6:54 pm

Carl's Jr. has an ad that I've only seen online (I watch quite a bit of late night TV, and this one hasn't shown up yet where I'd expect it to). The punchline is that you don't need luck to use their smart phone app to win prizes. However, what it shows is their Happy Star character demonstrating every sort of classic "bad luck" behavior out there. All set to "In the Hall of the Mountain King." I thought Cat might laugh at it. It's a pretty amusing piece of pop culture.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hgeAtmSQD10

I counted:
He doesn't forward the email
He knocks the horseshoe down so the "luck runs out"
He walks/prances under the ladder
He crosses a black cat's path
He breaks a mirror
He goes under the ladder again
He knocks over the canister of salt
He goes under the ladder again
He opens an umbrella in the house (3 times)
He steals the leprachaun's four-leaf clover and plucks the leaves off
Then he takes his lucky rabbit's foot and throws it over his shoulder
(annoying the leprachaun in the process)
Lee Thompson-Herbert
Jackalope Of All Trades

nvme
Re: fast food commercial shows "bad luck" items

Unread post by nvme » Wed Jul 20, 2011 9:21 pm

:lol: Too funny! Thanks for posting that! I see you posted this a while ago, but I just saw it just now... Thanks, I needed a good laugh today!
Warmest wishes from a fellow late night TV watcher,
nvme
And all things, whatsoever ye shall ask in prayer, believing, ye shall receive.
Matthew 21:22

serpentlight213

Unread post by serpentlight213 » Sat Sep 03, 2011 3:12 am

I have to say this, I am a GIANT Supernatural fan but I am bringing it up because it is the only TV show ive ever seen that talks, on occassion but lightly, about Hoodoo.

elizabeth taylor

Unread post by elizabeth taylor » Thu Feb 02, 2012 6:48 am

This is funny :lol:

heartexalted
Hoodoo in Family Guy?

Unread post by heartexalted » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:32 pm

Not that the writers were likely thinking of hoodoo when they wrote this scene, but I personally could not help making the association.
Click here
"Riches and honour are with me; yea, durable riches and righteousness."
-Proverbs 8:18

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator
Re: Hoodoo in Family Guy?

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sat Apr 07, 2012 9:59 pm

Interesting! lol
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Apr 08, 2012 3:48 am

I see what you mean.

pma

Unread post by pma » Sun Apr 08, 2012 4:45 am

I knew which scene it was going to be before I even clicked the link.

One of my favorites!!
Thank you, St. Francis, for your protection.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon May 28, 2012 11:26 am

I have always been completely surprised at how much Hoodoo made it's way into Supernatural...especially in any semblance of actual usage. Rare for "Hollywood."
Joseph Magnuson

Mister Lee

Unread post by Mister Lee » Mon May 28, 2012 4:29 pm

aura

Offering bread and salt is also an old Russian custom.
formerly Terengo
Proud Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1716

euphemia

Unread post by euphemia » Mon May 28, 2012 11:27 pm

Oh, so Supernatural has been mentioned! (I saw the TV thread had been updated.) I'm glad -- I am a HUGE Supernatural fan. :D I'm into most of the spiritual subjects, beings, and/or belief systems they've explored or mentioned. After having "caught up" with the rest of the world on the series, I noticed there have been at least 3 episodes that were pretty hoodoo-focused. Otherwise, hoodoo practices are occasionally mentioned or utilized. I was particularly happy about the Robert Johnson/hellhound-on-his-trail episode. :D

aura
Forum Moderator

Unread post by aura » Tue May 29, 2012 3:27 am

Thanks for sharing Terengo, I had no idea.

euphemia

That was a great episode. Insulting the boys cuz they didn't know how to use goofer dust & graveyard dirt, wondering what kinda of a grandma hadn't told them that.
Aura Laforest

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue May 29, 2012 11:09 am

That would be Season 2, Episode 8, entitled "Crossroad Blues." It was a very good episode!
Joseph Magnuson

Dee

Unread post by Dee » Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:37 am

That was cute! In my family, if you knock over the salt and don't throw any over your shoulder immediately....another family member will often gather a pinch and do it themselves. Sometimes we ALL will do it. Just to be safe LOL

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jan 13, 2013 10:50 am

Dee: I have seen this happen many times. Family members will run and try to "rectify the situation" for someone else! :)
Joseph Magnuson

GirlOnFire
Any body watch Dead Files the other night? Mentioned Hoodoo

Unread post by GirlOnFire » Sat May 11, 2013 5:30 pm

I just watched the latest Dead Files episode. Amy Allen said something that I had never heard before aboutHoodoo. She had a house haunted by a powerful spirit who she claimed was a Hoodoo practitioner back in the times of slavery. She recommended that the woman contact a Hoodoo practitioner to "take the spirit" with them. That a practitioner would want to get the power from this spirit and keep her to make their own work more powerful. Is this really a tradition in hoodoo?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Any body watch Dead Files the other night? Mentioned Hoodoo

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun May 12, 2013 12:04 am

"A tradition?" Well, to me it sounds like a conflation of English belief in locational spirits (house haunting ghosts) with the Voodoo idea of buying a spirit to work for you.

The concept of "keeping" the spirit, at least the way you described it (i did not see the show) sounds pretty thoughtless, as a piece of fiction, in that it seems to suggest that a modern African American practitioner would want to enslave the spirit of an African American slave.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Thu May 16, 2013 7:05 pm

I'm also with Miss Cat's assessment. Sounds like 100% pure entertainment to me.
Joseph Magnuson

GirlOnFire

Unread post by GirlOnFire » Fri May 17, 2013 4:37 am

You rarely hear the word Hoodoo on tv and films...so I perked up. I think most of those ghost hunt type shows are pretty set up and fake. But that's the recommendation that she gave a frightened family who had a very negative spirit in their home. I was like "huh?" lol oh well, can't believe anything ya see on tv these days! haha

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Television Shows That Mention Hoodoo

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:02 pm

'Coffin Point' TV series planned about hoodoo-practicing sheriff J.E. McTeer

Read more here: http://www.islandpacket.com/2015/04/03/ ... rt-co.html
catherine yronwode

Naexis

Unread post by Naexis » Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:49 pm

I'm in the midst of watching the third season of American Horror Story, entitled coven. It takes place in New Orleans and even features Marie Laveau as a character. Quite dramaticized, gory, over-the-top and the word hoodoo is never used, but it's kind of fun if you like that sort of thing. Just made me think of this thread. Worth a mention at least. :lol:

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello, Naexis ,

Yep. That was an awesome season!
HRCC Graduate #1631

angelael
Flickr, Myspace, and hoodoo?

Unread post by angelael » Sun Sep 20, 2015 6:40 pm

So what is this lady up to?

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPx7CZBUlg

I thought it certainly could be related to some sort of hoodoo working.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Can Spells Back-Fire, Blow Back, Reverse On Me, or Harm Me?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Nov 22, 2015 9:19 pm

Gee, angelel -- it looks like an ad for a surveillance camera system that features a mentally ill person. I see nothing much like hoodoo there.
catherine yronwode

hellinahandbasket

Unread post by hellinahandbasket » Thu Jan 07, 2016 4:26 pm

Well well got home from school and watched an episode of Cops. The skell had a binding mojo bag. Yes the cops were giving him the pat down for violating an order of protection and the police officer opens up the mojo bag on TELEVISION :shock: ...what is this? To keep the vampires away? No it was to bring his wife back to him but now they're divorced... :roll: Is it working? :lol: That made my whole day.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”