Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Gullah Geechie Geeshie Geetchie People

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
bowright78

Gullah Geechie Geeshie Geetchie People

Unread post by bowright78 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:30 am

Hello everyone! I found some interesting history about a Conjurer in Charleston South Carolina named Gullah Jack. Since my dad is from there I'm always researching rootworkers from that area. I don't know if Mrs. Cat already has it in her archives (and if so sorry to repost), but I thought I'd post it up.

Also I'm researching an interesting conjurer named John Domingo from Charleston S.C. From the brief history of him, he seemed like a man with a lot of clout! His nickname was the"Black Constable" and I have a feeling it wasn't because of his skin tone..lol. When I find more info I will post it. Or if anyone can find more about him, let me know.

Anyhow hope you enjoy the story of Gullah jack.

BTW...I copied and pasted this from Wikipedia the free encyclopedia, so it is not protected by exclusive copyright:

Gullah Jack (died July 12, 1822), also known as Couter Jack and sometimes referred to as "Gullah" Jack Pritchard, was a Methodist, an African conjurer, and a slave to Paul Pritchard in Charleston, South Carolina. Gullah Jack is historically known for aiding a free black man named Denmark Vesey in planning a large slave rebellion that would become known as Denmark Vesey's slave conspiracy in 1822. Using his Africa-based influence, Gullah Jack recruited for Vesey's plot African-born slaves as soldiers and provided them with charms as protection against the "buckra" (whites). He is also said to have used his spiritual powers to terrify others into keeping silent about the conspiracy. Historians believe Jack's strong African culture, contrasted against Vesey's preaching, helped attract many of the slaves that joined the revolt.

The Vesey plot involved taking over the state armory to arm rural slaves who would rise up and assist the others in revolt. The slaves would then kill the whites of Charleston, take the city, and finally use the city's ships to escape, supposedly, to Haiti, where slaves had overthrown the white government and now ruled. Eventually, the Vesey plot was leaked by other slaves that were coerced to confession. Consequently, South Carolina authorities hanged Vesey, Gullah Jack, and 34 other leading conspirators.

Daytona12

What is a Gullah Geech?

Unread post by Daytona12 » Mon May 03, 2010 6:19 pm

What is a Gullah Geech? I have heard they are conjure rootworkers and are they just as effective as regular rootworkers? DO they go more in depth in magical work?

MysticRootworker

Re: What is a Gullah Geech?

Unread post by MysticRootworker » Mon May 03, 2010 6:24 pm

I only know that some Gullah live in South Carolina around Charleston. It is a culture of people. I guess that is the right way to say it. I have had the pleasure to meet several when I have visited there. They are artisians with their beautiful sweetgrass baskets. As for Geech, I am interested in hearing more about this.

Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Devi Spring » Mon May 03, 2010 6:26 pm

Geech is a way to refer to the unique dialect that they speak, and can also be used to refer to someone who is part of the Gullah culture.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - HRCC Graduate.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon May 03, 2010 7:17 pm

Gullahs are descendants of slaves who came from the area of present day Angola in African. Gullah / Angola, get it?

Geechie, Geeshey, Geeshie, etc. are alternative spells for another name for these folks.

There are people of Geechie decent all over the USA, and a famous female blues singer, Geeshie Wiliey, was born in Mississippi. Angola is the name of a town in Louisiana.

The names Gullah and Geechie do not refer to hoodoo or rootwork per se or anyone having special talents or gifts for magical or spiritual practices. They refer only to the ethnic tribal group of the person's ancestry -- like Italian, or Mongolian, or Sephardic, or Aymara.

I am moving this thread to the Hoodoo in History section of the forum, where it belongs, as it is not about asking for help with someone's situation in life. :-)
catherine yronwode

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Gullah Jack

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 08, 2010 5:54 pm

Thanks for posting!
catherine yronwode

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”