Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Fiction Writers Request Information About Hoodoo

News stories and historical documents relating to the practice of conjure. Brought to you by our sister-site, Southern-Spirits.com
mysterymaiden

Unread post by mysterymaiden » Tue Jan 22, 2013 7:33 am

Hi everyone! I have been browsing the forums and you all are very helpful to one another, so I'm sticking my virtual hand up hoping for some help from you all. I'm a murder mystery writer and I'm researching Hoodoo for a plotline I'm working on. My victim was found with a Mojo Bag (of course, they don't know at first what it is). Of course, I want to represent Hoodoo realistically and avoid at all costs the "Hollywood" idea of Hoodoo and the Voodoo/Hoodoo confusion, and am making a point of being very precise in the details to ensure the integrity of the mystery. So, with all that preamble, I'm hoping you all can help me with the contents of my victim's Mojo Bag. I have found plenty of information about what COULD be in his Mojo Bag, but I'm more concerned about what SHOULD be in his Mojo Bag, if you understand my meaning.

The year is 1899 in Louisiana and my victim is a rich, power-crazed man who heads up a secret brotherhood parading (pardon the pun) as a Krewe. Thanks to inside information, he has been taking over plantations in financial jeopardy, and has grown fearful of some of the inhabitants of one of the plantations. His Mojo Bag is for protection from their 'magick'.

I would really love any help or opinions, as I mentioned, I want to keep the details as correct as possible to do justice to Hoodoo as a whole. Thanks everyone!

MaryBee
Forum Moderator
Re: BCR-HOO-ROAD Road Opener Bath Crystals $5.00 [img]http://ww

Unread post by MaryBee » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:44 am

Good protective herbs would be John The Conqueror root, Devils' Shoestring Roots, and Black Cohosh Root.

I might include a bit of Master root so this man can be "masters" over his enemies.

Good luck,

Mary Bee
Mary Bee
Rootworker
AIRR member
Saying "yes" doesn't walk up the mountain.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Murder Mystery Writer Seeking Consultation on Mojo c. 1899

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 22, 2013 9:57 am

Each toby maker has his or her own ways of working. Some would use Graveyard Dirt in such a hand, or a coin.

As for roots, some might employ Devil's Shoe String Roots and Black Snake Root, as Mary Bee said. (She called it Black Cohosh; most Southerners call it Black Snake Root.) Sampson Snake Root is another good one, as is Rattle Snake Master root.

But a good hand is like a good recipe -- chef's hold their recipes tight, and so do toby makers.

And NO ONE in Louisiana would have spelled the word "magic" with a "k" at the time and place in which your story is set, as you just did. That peculiar pseudo-antique literary affectation was not yet visible on the horizon in Louisiana in 1899, LOL!

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

mysterymaiden

Unread post by mysterymaiden » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:11 am

Wonderful information, thank you both so much! I knew that about the "k" on magic, it was more of a wink-and-nod type thing. I really appreciate the replies, you both have helped me immensely.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 24, 2013 5:40 pm

Glad to be of help.

Alas, a wink-and-nod from one culture when posted in a culture that opposes it is not always received with cheer. Aleister Crowley, the notable promoter of "magick-with-a-k" was one of the most ignorant and vile racists ever to defile the study of occultism. Please see:

Aleister Crowley: A Legacy of Racism and Nationalism:
RACISM, GENDER-BIAS, and Other Forms of BIGOTRY in the Writings of ALEISTER CROWLEY

http://www.arcane-archive.org/faqs/crowleyracistfaq.php

Enjoy!
catherine yronwode

mysterymaiden

Unread post by mysterymaiden » Mon Jan 28, 2013 1:09 pm

Wow, that I definitelt DIDN'T know, but thanks for the info!

ziasews
Newly Registered

Unread post by ziasews » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:03 pm

Hello all,

I am a writer, looking to use accurate Hoodoo information in my story.

One of the females is a rootworker and has had a forced abortion by a man who she will eventually work to ruin. She goes to the cemetary to visit the grave of her aborted baby.

What would she bring to protect the baby's spirit and help it obtain heaven?

thanks in advance. :)

MoonBreath
Re: Fiction Writers Request Information About Hoodoo

Unread post by MoonBreath » Sat Feb 09, 2013 9:47 pm

What time period are we talking about? How far along was the baby?

Until quite recently, miscarried babies, stillborn, or any child who dies before baptism in the Catholic Church were buried in a special section just outside the graveyard.

I guess that wouldn't matter if your lady is not Catholic ... or if the story happened today.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Feb 10, 2013 2:49 pm

ziasews

I agree with MoonBreath -- and i will note, as did he or she, that you do not seem to provide us with a handle on the culture you are describing, or the time period.

1) Abortion was illegal everywhere in the United States until 1973. If your story is set before 1973, the following information will be of assistance:

A) Village midwives / cunning women who performed abortions usually buried any remains on their own home property, not in graveyards. There are many accounts of this.

B) Doctors and midwives who performed illegal abortions disposed of the remains surreptitiously, as any hint of such activity would have resulted in suspended licenses or hard jail time.

C) At the time of this writing i am 65 years old, and having had two illegal abortions myself, before Roe v. Wade, i speak from experience. During the era of illegal abortions, virtually all abortions were performed before the end of the first trimester -- and many doctors refused to perform them after the third month under any circumstances, due to concerns about the need for post-operative care, which could not be supplied in most "abortion mills" or "back alley" abortion clinics. When an abortion is performed in the first trimester the remains are insignificant and the remains were never taken to a cemetery, nor was the woman who had an illegal abortion allowed to see or handle them.

2) Regardless of the time period of your story, hoodoo is primarily the folk-magic of Black Protestant Christians.

A) Most Protestants do not believe in the baptism of infants, and babies who die before the age of consent are simply considered innocents. Hence if they die unbaptized, there is no need to "do" anything to ensure a favourable judgement of their souls after death. Furthermore, among most Protestants, infant baptism is actually considered to be a gross misunderstanding of God's plan for humanity. (To put it mildly!) Among most Protestants, baptism is performed by a preacher or pastor or apostle only upon those who have reached the age of consent, as Jesus demonstrated Himself when He was baptized by John the Baptist.

B) There is no provision in the Protestant denominations to "help [anyone] obtain heaven." In Protestant denominations, it is believed that God makes His own decisions, and only by grace can one be saved through faith, and not by the works of men, lest any man should boast, and above all this means that there are no "indulgences" or "penances" that can "buy" anyone's way into Heaven, and that, my friend, is that. Here's your proof text:

Ephesians 2:8-9
8 For by grace are ye saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:
9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

(In fact, the perceived abuse of the selling of indulgences and absolutions by mere men (that is, the idea that souls could reach Heaven through the "works" performed by Catholic priests or any other human beings) was one of the major foundational premises informing Luther's 95 Theses -- and thus undergirds the entire gamut of Protestant religious denominations.)

3) Regardless of the time period of your story, if the hoodoo practitioner in your fiction were Catholic, for instance, living in the Catholic areas of Louisiana or Maryland, then root doctor or not, she would probably pay money for a mass or a series of masses to be said for the unshriven baby and she could go to confession and be given a penance or series of penances to perform for her own sin. This has nothing at all to do with hoodoo, obviously, as it is a religious matter. Perhaps you have confused hoodoo with a religion?

Good luck!
catherine yronwode

MoonBreath

Unread post by MoonBreath » Mon Feb 11, 2013 3:56 pm

Like Miss Cat said, most Protestants would not be worried about the salvation of the baby - they would assume it was in Heaven. That is why I sort of assumed your lady was Catholic ... in the past many Catholics have experienced great stress over the salvation of their unbaptized babies. Especially if their community buries the unbaptized little ones just outside the graveyard. Of course, this is not an issue today since the Church recently stated these little ones are presumed to be with God. In the past, however, it was a big, painful issue for lots of folks.

If your setting is going to be a real place, like New Orleans or Mobile and the protagonist is Catholic ... do some historical research on how that Catholic community handled burial of unbaptized babies for your time period. I have heard some babies were buried in the graveyard (like if the family was close friends with the priest and he knew they were planning on having the child baptized promptly ). But that probably would have only happened in the past 50 years or so... Many Catholic cemeteries in the past had rules about the unbaptized not being buried on holy ground. But a grave is a grave, so dirt could still be taken from that child's grave and used ....

Good luck with the book!

holyguyver
Newly Registered

Author Requests Help with a Spell to Use in Fiction Book

Unread post by holyguyver » Sat Oct 29, 2016 1:18 pm

I am an author who is writing a fictional book which features a main character who is a practitioner of Louisiana Voodoo, but that only factors into the story in one scene, where she is to do a protection spell to protect her family from people with evil intent.

Since I want that scene to be as accurate, authentic, & non-offensive as possible, I was wondering if anyone could give me an example of such a spell; what objects would be used, what words would be spoken, etc.

I thank anyone for their response/help, & if you would like more information about the plot, in order to tailer the spell more to the character's situation, I would be willing to elaborate on the plot. Thank you, & perhaps your answer will also be able to help those who are in need of protecting their loved ones from people with evil intent :) .

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Author Requests Help with a Spell to Use in Fiction Book

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 29, 2016 2:07 pm

Hello,

This forum is about hoodoo, rootwork, and conjure, NOT Voodoo. The following thread contains information on the kind of spells you are seeking:

spells-to-protect-family-from-bad-famil ... t2235.html

And this thread may help you understand the difference between Voodoo and hoodoo:

hoodoo-religion-voodoo-wicca-santeria-w ... 10231.html

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

holyguyver
Newly Registered

Unread post by holyguyver » Sat Oct 29, 2016 7:35 pm

Thank you, I am sorry that my question wasn't an appropriate fit for this forum; the only reason I posted this question at this forum is another author suggested I ask it here, so I did.

I have read the protect family post you link to, but since it is about protecting family from other family members or friends of the family, it doesn't fit my situation, as the character's situation is protecting her family from strangers in a new community they have moved to, a community which is discriminating prejudicially against them; also, as noted, the character practices Louisiana Voodoo. So is there a better forum for my question?

I apologize for asking my question in an incorrect place.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Oct 30, 2016 10:22 am

No problem.

If the type of protection you wish the character in your novel to deploy is more general, try searching through this group of threads instead:

ask-us-for-conjure-help-with-protection ... k-f42.html

You can also use the Forum's search engine and search for key words such as family, entity, criminal, racist, danger, or whatever best suits your scenario.

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Hoodoo in History / Hoodoo in the News”