Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Lookie at what the Cat (Yronwode) dragged in!

amithyzt
HRCC Student
Lookie at what the Cat (Yronwode) dragged in!

Unread post by amithyzt » Tue Jun 27, 2017 8:50 pm

Howdy, y’all!

Are Abrus seeds ‘lucky’? Possibly…

My friends own a metaphysical shop in Louisiana and I’ve worked there off and on for the last ten years. What I noticed was an increase of customers seeking help and advice because some angry person or another left powders and items at their doors. It made me realize I didn’t have sufficient knowledge to advise them how to fight back or protect themselves from the ne’er do wells. One customer came in asking about a tiny black and red bean, “Sort of like a black-eyed pea, but black and red. What is it and what’s it for?” I didn’t have an answer for her, but couldn’t rest until I found out. (Yay, 'image search' ushered me to the Lucky Mojo site!) After finding the Abrus Seeds, I continued researching different topics over the months and was repeatedly landing back on the Lucky Mojo pages. What sealed the deal was stumbling upon the ‘Hoodoo and Herb Magic’ book. Now you had my full attention! I love growing my little gardens, but I also love scouring the woods and identifying what nature has to offer. What I didn’t realize was many of the plants on my doorstep have magical associations in addition to culinary or medicinal applications. This book seems like it could contain the answers to all of my questions, and for any answers I might not find, this forum has proven to be useful to the umpteenth degree.

I’ve spent weeks reading through the catalogue, the forum, and all the wonderful online information I’ve found here. I found the site plentiful, very well organized, painstakingly researched, and incredibly thorough. Miss Cat's obviously made huge sacrifices of her time and energy to bring awareness of Hoodoo history and practice to the world. It drew (dragged) me in and I haven't been able to stop reading! I wouldn't hesitate to show my appreciation by making some purchases. ‘Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic’ is on the way, and the Baker’s dozen collection of books, along with a few tester oils/sachets… and yes, Abrus seeds (I couldn’t resist.) I can’t wait to dig in! More importantly, I can’t wait to put this new knowledge into practice and be better equipped to assist others in need. I’m not there (at my friend's shop) as frequently anymore, but certainly won’t be the one shrugging my shoulders without recommendations and answers to give in any of these situations EVER again. More importantly than pride/ego, distressed individuals won’t walk out the door- still suffering, and feeling fearful or helpless.

Thank you Lucky Mojo! It took a little time to fully appreciate the scope of what's really hidden behind every link, but here I am in absolute awe the more I dig. I look forward to interacting with others on this path, you seem like a wonderful group of knowledgeable people. I’m literally dancing with joy to have found such a place. I also just did a John Travolta ‘disco pointing’ thing and unless y’all have very vivid imaginations, I’m relieved no one was here to see it...

~ami
HRCC #2131

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Lookie at what the Cat (Yronwode) dragged in!

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Jun 28, 2017 7:50 pm

Hello, and thank you very much for the kind words about my work. I have been writing for the dozens of interconnected Lucky Mojo, Southern Spirits, HerbMagic, and related sites since 1994, and also joining with colleagues to write the collaborative AIRR and MISC sites since 2006. My intention is to make as much as i know possible to those who, like me, are interested in folk magic, herbology, and American folk life. Thanks for ordering our books -- and i hope you find them useful and enjoyable.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

amithyzt
HRCC Student
Re: Lookie at what the Cat (Yronwode) dragged in!

Unread post by amithyzt » Wed Jun 28, 2017 9:51 pm

You're welcome! Happen to know anything I could do to increase "patience" while I wait for my order to arrive? LOL... I've noticed "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" quoted and referenced in bibliographies in many books I have on the shelf. I wish I'd discovered it sooner, but I'm very excited to get a copy in my hands!
HRCC #2131

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “2017 Public Forum Introductions”