• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

It is currently Sat Feb 25, 2017 5:35 am

A Deck of Spells Book Questions and Answers

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

A Deck of Spells Book Questions and Answers

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Mar 14, 2015 10:57 am

Lucky Mojo is proud to announce the publication of a new book by Professor Charles Porterfield, the co-author of our popular title "Hoodoo Bible Magic." In "A Deck of Spells," the Professor presents several simple divination methods for reading playing cards, and, for the first time ever, a thorough introduction to the old-fashioned African American way of using regular playing cards in spells of magic.

The book will debut at the 8th Annual Hoodoo Heritage Festival in Forestville, California, May 16th-17th, 2015, and a copy will be included in the admission package for the event, because Charles will be teaching a workshop on how to do this work. We are taking pre-orders now. "A Deck of Spells" ships on May 18, 2015. Pre-ordered copies will be signed by the author.

BOO-GRI-ADOS
A Deck of Spells by Charles Porterfield
$9.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

CONTENTS

Dedication and Acknowledgements ..... 4
Preface ..... 5

Ante Up

Hoodoo, Conjure, and Rootwork ..... 7
A Curiosity to Open: The Bible in a Deck of Cards ..... 8
A Brief History of Playing Cards ..... 10
Many Cards, Many Uses ..... 17
Many Decks, Many Nations ..... 18

Painted Ladies and the Man with the Axe

A Paire of Cards ..... 25
..... Interpreting the Colours ..... 26
..... Interpreting the Suits ..... 27
..... Interpreting the Ranks ..... 28
..... Interpreting the Royals ..... 31
..... Interpreting the Jokers ..... 32
..... Interpreting Time by Colours and Suits ..... 33
Divination Inspiration ..... 34
..... A Single Card for the New Year ..... 35
..... Lucky Lady Lenormand ..... 36
..... A Way from Ol’ Kentucky ..... 38
..... An Old Method from Illinois ..... 40
..... The Professor’s Own ..... 42
..... Combined Card Meanings ..... 44
..... Layouts and Spreads ..... 47

Call, Raise, or Fold

Care and Handling of Your Cards ..... 48
Stamping, Folding, and Mutilating ..... 51
A Deck of Spells by Single Cards ..... 54
..... The Hearts ..... 56
..... The Clubs ..... 61
..... The Diamonds ..... 66
..... The Spades ..... 71
..... The Jokers ..... 76
A Trick of Tarot Card Spells ..... 78
Playing Card Spells by Condition ..... 83
..... Work, Money, Success, and Gambling Spells ..... 84
..... Love, Family, and Reconciliation Spells ..... 87
..... Helping, Blessing, and Healing Spells ..... 90
..... Harming and Cursing Spells ..... 92
..... Protection and Jinx–Breaking Spells ..... 94

Bibliography 96
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: A Deck of Spells Book Questions and Answers

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 15, 2015 2:29 am

As you can see by the Table of Contents above, about 1/4 of the book is history, 1/4 is methods of divination with playing cards, and fully 1/2 of the text consists of wall-to-wall rootwork spells that use playing cards.

There is no other book like this anywhere. You're going to love it!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby coastwitch » Tue Mar 17, 2015 11:29 pm

Ooooh, this looks good! I have the book on Bible Magic by Miss Michaele and Professor Porterfield, and I love it. I am putting this one on my wish list.
coastwitch
coastwitch

Unread postby ProfessorPorterfield » Wed Mar 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Hello All, Prof P. here. Wanted to take a moment and let you all know that the book now has an official Facebook page of its very own! Slide on over and take a look and like. Looking forward to seeing many of you May 16-17 at the Hoodoo Heritage Festival in Forestville!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/A-Deck-o ... 1777813581

Professor Porterfield
The Now You Know Show with Professor Porterfield
Thursdays 6:00 PM Pacific/9:00 PM Eastern on BTR
ProfessorPorterfield
Forum Moderator

Re: Playing Card Reading Questions and Answers

Unread postby Sis Rukiyah » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:18 pm

Now this is super exciting,I'm glad we an preorder it. :D
B'lessons
HHC, Naturopathic Holistic Full Circle Doula, Medicine Woman
HRCC Graduate #1990G
Sis Rukiyah

Unread postby Sis Rukiyah » Wed Mar 18, 2015 9:40 pm

geraldbelton, thank you for this insight. I just read it to my daughter and she says it is very simple to understand and follow.
B'lessons
HHC, Naturopathic Holistic Full Circle Doula, Medicine Woman
HRCC Graduate #1990G
Sis Rukiyah

Unread postby ProfessorPorterfield » Wed Mar 18, 2015 10:42 pm

Thank you for mentioning the book cat. I am very happy to have it published and carried by Lucky Mojo.

I think that everyone who is looking to learn more about divination and spell work with standard playing cards will find this book of aid and, I hope, interest. The book covers several different sets of American meanings and interpretations for fortune telling not only of just single playing cards but also combinations for cards, as well as basic meanings for the suits, colors, individual ranks/pips, court/face cards, methods of forecasting time, simple yes/no questions and more.

Also, in addition to teaching fortune-telling with playing card this is a spell-book. It contains 52 single-card hoodoo and conjure spells (one for each card), 4 spells for Jokers, 13 spells for Tarot cards, and dozens more spells for multiple cards, plus recipes, and nice bit of history about the development and spread of playing cards themselves, as well as their use in magic.

All of these spells can be worked with a regular deck of cards. My preference is for the Bicycle brand, but others will do as well.

DIV-PLA-BICY
U.S. Playing Cards, Bicycle Standard
$4.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.

It was a lot of fun writing the book.
Hope you all get a lot out of it!

In your service,
Professor Porterfield
ProfessorPorterfield
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Mar 19, 2015 1:29 pm

Here is an example of the kind of spell work performed by Professor Porterfield:

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby magicmurphy » Fri Mar 20, 2015 7:42 am

I am so getting this book... this looks like lots of fun!

Doc Murphy
St. Paul, MN
magicmurphy

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue May 05, 2015 5:18 pm

They are all here and ready for pre-ordering!

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Thassa » Sun May 17, 2015 3:31 am

I just preordered all of the new books. I can't wait to get them!
Thassa

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun May 17, 2015 9:47 pm

We have MANY pre-orders and will be shipping them all next week!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Santiago » Fri Aug 14, 2015 9:19 pm

This book is AWESOME!! I enjoy so many things about A Deck of Spells; from the way it reads, to the history, to the divination (I didn't expect THAT much info on the reading aspect), Spellwork, even care of your deck and tools of the trade that you'll need, this book is a solid wealth of information on playing cards and rootwork. Even though I'm still at the beginning of the book, I have to admit that it reads easy either from front to back or delving into the individual chapters that capture your whim. He also does a great job of offering recommended references for supplemental research. The idea of investing into learning how to read bones keeps bouncing around and his recommended "Bones, Shells, and Curios" by Michele Jackson gives me direction. I'm very happy that I decided to pick it up.

Thank you for such a great book Professor!!
Santiago

Unread postby Mr Lucky » Sun Jun 12, 2016 3:48 pm

I read professionally using Playing Cards, and Cigany Kartya. There are only two books I recommend for learning to read playing cards, and here they are:

Hands of Fate by Robin Artisson

And

A Deck of Spells by Charles Porterfield

All the other books on Playing card cartomancy are just superficial nonsense, and will leave you confused and unable to see what the Spirits are trying to tell you.
Mr Lucky

Unread postby Mr Lucky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 2:23 pm

"You must not read with a deck you play with."

Some will regard this as silly superstition, but from my perspective and experience.......the statement is quite true, and here is why:

A deck of cards is like a poppet. The deck is paper and ink, and the poppet is cloth and stuffing. In this state they have no power. However, once you Baptise the deck or poppet and give it instructions, then it becomes "alive" and must be treated with respect. You wouldn't play a recreational game with your poppet, and neither should you play a game of cards with your "awakened" deck. Following this guideline will show you intend respect, and the Spirits will be pleased.
Mr Lucky

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Jun 14, 2016 4:44 pm

Another country heard from...
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Mr Lucky » Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:22 pm

"Another country heard from".........

Yes, and I hope it is one that you will enjoy visiting. And........I have some company here:

"Once your soul and body have been used to engage sacred or powerful things like divination through cards, once you have used cards in this manner, you must abstain from playing serious card games or gambling for money using cards. Your relationship with the cards themselves-understanding as you will what an important connective role they play between humans and the deeper, more potent world beyond ordinary human considerations-should render you unwilling to use the cards for frivolous purposes."

Quote by Robin Artisson
Mr Lucky

Unread postby senjuhasirama » Wed Jun 22, 2016 6:46 am

I found where cat had an opinion about this four years ago. It is in the playing card divination thread:

playing-card-reading-questions-and-answers-t87881.html#p96286

She actually wrote:

I am 64 years old. I learned to read cards at the age of 8. I have been a professional card reader since the age of 18. Until your post today i have never heard,

"You must not read a deck you play with."

I would classify

"You must not read a deck you play with"

right up there with restrictive anti-magical myths like

"A tarot deck will not work if it doesn't have the infinity symbol somewhere on the deck."

"You cannot buy the deck yourself, someone has to give it to you as a gift."

"You must never riffle shuffle."

"You must never let anyone touch your cards."

And, my favorite, because it was a blatant steal from Chinese I Ching concepts:

"You must keep your tarot cards wrapped in yellow silk."

I don't know who starts these things, but they are dang stupid.

So she is consistent in her opinion, apparently.
senjuhasirama

Unread postby ProfessorPorterfield » Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:42 pm

Hello Mr. Lucky,

Thank you for your missives from "another country". All I can say in response to your point, is that within the context of hoodoo, and Folk Magic within the United States of America, which were the focus of 'A Deck of Spells', there is a long standing belief that a deck of cards that had been used to read for you became lucky for you in matters of gambling via card games.

You may indeed regard a deck of cards as a tool, or as being "alive". However, for myself and within the culture and context of hoodoo and conjure as it is practiced in the U.S. I do not believe that the deck one uses for reading does become "alive" in the same way that a baby doll does. The deck as a whole is not baptised or named after another, nor given its own name or independent life -- although individual cards may, such as when they are used in certain kinds of spell work or tricks.

Furthermore, it was my direct intention in writing 'A Deck of Spells' to try and help set aside certain beliefs that have crept into hoodoo that are not a part of it -- one such being the above discussed.

Again, my knowledge, research, and interaction with others has shown me that the deck itself is not a singularly special artifact above the sum of its parts, and that any card, or set of cards may be taken from it at any time and used immediately in spell work that can even result in those cards' material destruction.

So in the end I will stick with what I saw and heard and keep the belief that a deck read for me becomes lucky for me in a multitude of ways.

Just my two cents.
Professor Porterfield
ProfessorPorterfield
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:51 pm

senjuhasirama, thanks for posting my back pages.

As should be obvious, i am with Professor Porterfield on this. I have never in all my now 69 years heard a deck of playing cards -- as a DECK -- referred to as a poppet or doll. A single card -- say, the King of Hearts -- yes. A deck -- no.

That is what i was alluding when i wrote "another country heard from." Robin Artisson and you come to your undertanding from the English witchcraft tradition, "another country."

All theories and their derived methodologies are not the same. All systems of spell work need not be copacetic. We do not argue. We can agree to disagree. We dissavow belief in "universal archetypes" because so many of them are easily demolished by reference to another culture's contrary beliefs.

In this Forum, although we are free and open to all, and although we discuss many forms of spellcraft and many worldwide cultural beliefs, we are here to serve the African American magical community ... and hoodoo is the name of that form of service. Anything from other sources will likely be labelled as such. It will not necessarily be discarded, but it will be identified as "from another tradition."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby rowenavictoria » Fri Jul 22, 2016 10:30 pm

I'm so happy to say i have this coming to Australia from Amazon :) I've been reading tarot since i can remember, but have always been interested in cartomancy as it has such a different type of divination. Really looking forward to reading the spell casting element too.

did i tell you i can't wait?! :D
rowenavictoria

Unread postby ProfessorPorterfield » Thu Aug 11, 2016 11:58 pm

Rowen Victoria,

I hope you enjoy the book and find it of good use.
ProfessorPorterfield
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Aussie » Sat Sep 17, 2016 1:09 pm

I've been reading Tarot for most of my life up until 6 years ago when I decided Tarot had too much fluff in it and has been broken down by the iteration of designer decks and mixed correspondences. That's when I moved towards playing cards. I did come across the Playing Cards deck and used her unique system for a while, however that too became a little to "commercial" for me and that's when I stumbled upon A Deck of Spells. It's a really good book written in a concise and pleasant to read format. The first day I received it I read it from cover to cover while sitting in bed. It's my go to book right now and I must confess I find I'm comparing other material to what's in this book.

One thing I would like to see is an online community or some videos about this methods used in A Deck of Spells (much the same as others do for their deck).
Aussie

• Advertisement
Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo