• Advertisement
Southern-Spirits.com

It is currently Mon Apr 24, 2017 4:50 pm

Hoodoo Book Suggestions for Beginners

Discussiona about hoodoo and conjure spell books, instruction books, grimoires, and books on magic and spirituality.

Hoodoo Book Suggestions for Beginners

Unread postby j82 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:29 pm

Hello All,

I was wondering if any one could suggest some books for me. I have been interested in magic most my life and read up on a lot. Hoodoo really interests me it mixes everything I always was drawn to, but never found in the other types of magic most commonly heard/read about.

I own Catherine's book, which I feel is amazing, and have read it several times. I also have read the web site over and over (and i still find something new i didn't see each time I do). I would some day like to take the course but I feel I don't know enough about hoodoo.

I'd like to learn about the history of Hoodoo, how to cast the spell, make the mojo, properly pray, utilize the oils, incense, etc. I feel I need to expand my knowledge base. I looked in book stores and online but am not sure which books would be best to help me grow as a willing practitioner. Thank you!
j82

Re: Hoodoo Book Suggestions, Please

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:47 pm

Hello, j82,

Thanks for the kind words about my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and about the web site, "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice." The reason you find new things each time you return to HITAP is that i am still adding to it at about the rate of one page per week -- 52 new web pages per year.

The questions you ask about are those that are covered in my course, but if you want a list of other books that do not involve studying with me, i can gladly supply such a list. It is online at our sister-site, Southern Spirits. It is called the Hoodoo Bibliography and it is located here:

http://www.southern-spirits.com/hoodoo- ... raphy.html

Many of the books in that list which are still in print are carried by the Lucky Mojo Curio Co. book shop, which is online at

http://luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html

Good luck in your studies and your practice of conjure!
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby j82 » Wed Feb 11, 2009 6:52 pm

thank you, I didnt realize the course covered that I look foward to taking it soon. And thanks for the references for books to study.
j82

Unread postby tisha » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:21 pm

that is a thorough list! how much of it is still in print?

charles w chestnutt was amazing, wasn't he?

namaste.
tisha

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:24 pm

Many of the books listed in that bibliography are still in print. You can find those that Lucky Mojo carries by going to our book store at
Others can be purchased as reprints or read online via google books -- and some of the older pieces in the public domain are slated to be reprinted at southern-spirits.com in the near future.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby tisha » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:52 pm

thank you for your reply.
now i need to vend some more so i can increase my library!
tisha

A Good Basic Book on Magick?

Unread postby Angelina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 7:49 am

Hello all,
I wasn't sure where to post this question- I hope on here is okay.
Just wanted to know if anyone knows a good basic book on magick. Something not too much in depth, but simply about setting up a ritual, casting a spell, cleansing, annointing and dressing and candleworkings. Basic things which are simply written- but good, reliable info. Has anyone come across a book like this?
Thanks.
Angelina

Re: A Good Basic Book on Magick?

Unread postby EcleckticMama » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:26 am

Essentially it would be this:

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

Seriously, there are so many different systems of magic, that I don't think there is such a thing as a "basic book on magick." Not every system requires an altar or "setting up a ritual" so really miss cat's online book is the best basic book I have come across that is sensibly and simply written and in my opinion not full of what I call fluffy bunny extras.

Now, if you mention a specific system of magic, you may have more success finding a beginning text.
EcleckticMama

Unread postby Angelina » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:32 am

Thank you for that link, yes I have seen that and it's very informative. Lots of information and I had printes out a few pages. I had wanted something in actual print in a book- Is her other book almost the same as this on-line book?
Thanks
Angelina

Unread postby EcleckticMama » Thu Mar 12, 2009 8:44 am

No, the print book is completely different. It is an "encyclopedic" listing of the herbs and curios used in hoodoo. You would need to read the online book with it. It has some spells and folklore in it, but they work best together, I think.
EcleckticMama

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 13, 2009 12:23 am

Ecleckticmama is correct. My online book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" is not the same as my printed book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and neither of those are the same as my printed course book "Hoodooo Rootwork Correspondence Course." They each have different titles, for starters. ;-)
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Sharona22 » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:17 pm

If you are talking about wicca you can start with wicca for the sole practioner but you had a few different kinds of magick in your question. I used to really do wicca but i really think I love the ideas and theory and things in Hoodoo alot more. Bothis nice
Sharona22

Unread postby K54 » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:17 am

I too have tried other systems of Magick ie Wicca and High Ceremonial, and found they just didn't "fit" me. I find a good fit in Hoodoo myself (because of the Christian element...could never identify with the "god/goddess thing in Wicca) and intend to stick with it.
K54

Hello

Unread postby Magnolia » Mon Mar 30, 2009 7:49 am

Good day everyone,
I'm new to the forum, but not the Lucky Mojo Co. thought it was time to introduce myself. I'm just a southern gal who rather hang out on the farm with my plants and animals than pretty much anything else. Been interested in plants since I was a kid and after going to college and living in the Caribbean for a couple of years discovered that the folklore and religions that go along with the plants are pretty fascinating. I've always been interested in the culture of the Southern U.S. and that is what has led me to Hoodoo. So here I am. Would love any book recommendations that y'all might have, especially on the religious aspects of hoodoo.
Magnolia

magical reciept books

Unread postby fausto » Tue May 12, 2009 9:27 pm

This is mainly a question for Cat, but if anyone else can help, please do. I was reading the pages for "Secrets of the Psalms" and "Pow-wows or the long lost friend" and they were referred to as "magical receipt books". Also, when I saw "The Skeleton Key" (and I do understand that its a Hollywood movie and takes liberties with its source materials) the spellbook in the attic was titled "Receipt book of Papa Justify and Blessed Teachings". What makes something a "receipt book", rather than just a book or pamphlet on hoodoo? Forgive my ignorance, I'm still new to this.

Minor edit, I misspelled receipt.
fausto

Re: magical reciept books

Unread postby Turnsteel » Wed May 13, 2009 6:35 am

Please disregard this post, I read too fast and thought it said recipe books. :oops: I feel so very not smart right now. :shock:
Turnsteel

Unread postby Lukianos » Wed May 13, 2009 7:32 pm

Hi fausto,

fausto wrote: What makes something a "receipt book", rather than just a book or pamphlet on hoodoo?

A "receipt book" need not contain formulas for oils, powders, or other preparations-- "Secrets of the Psalms" contains neither. Both "Secrets" and "Pow-Wows" do, however, contain prayers and spoken and/or written charms, with instructions on how to apply these to desired goals and purposes.
Lukianos

Unread postby fausto » Wed May 13, 2009 9:05 pm

What confuses me is the term receipt, which usually refers to the slips of paper documenting a sale of some kind.
fausto

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed May 13, 2009 9:40 pm

The history of this word, "receipt" is not what you think it is. A Receipt Book is a book that lists things received. What is received can be a formula or recipe, documents concerning the purchase of goods, a list of livestock and their offspring, payments of rent, wages earned, or any other form of information or instruction that is received.

See the OED.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby fausto » Fri May 15, 2009 1:50 pm

I see. Thanks, guys.
fausto

Book Review requested: Spells, Charms & Formulas

Unread postby Pristenella » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:08 pm

Dear Cat Yronwood,
I have looked through the list of books available to buy through the your website and I was wondering if you or members of your staff review them for accuracy.

I have the Book of Spells, Charms & Formulas, but have not used it.
Please can you tell me what you think of its accuracy.
Blessings
Pristenella
Pristenella

Re: BOOK REVIEW- can anyone help

Unread postby Chagrinedgirl » Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:43 pm

While I'm certainly not miss cat or her staff, I have both of Marlbrough's books. You just have to consider his influences, he's from Louisiana, and he practices Seax-Wicca. Thus his ritual words rhyme, and some of the candle descriptions are those found in espiritismo. Otherwise I wouldn't say he's totally inaccurate. I WOULD use his books in conjunction with miss cat's HHRM, and use it when choosing herbs.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...
Chagrinedgirl

Re: Book Review requested: Spells, Charms & Formulas

Unread postby Devi Spring » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:09 pm

Just research individual authors to find out the general consensus of their work before purchasing them if you have doubts.
Devi Spring: Reader & Rootworker - Proud AIRR member and HRCC Graduate.
Devi Spring
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Pristenella » Sun Nov 22, 2009 9:17 am

I feel better about using it now.
Thank you to both of you for replies
Pristenella
Pristenella

Unread postby fausto » Sun Nov 22, 2009 2:42 pm

Try Marlborough's "The Magical Power of the Saints". I'm in the middle of reading it, there's a much stronger Catholic influence than in BoCSF (not that that book is invalid, I would recommend either one) and none of the rhyming spells. In any case, I doubt Cat would sell anything she did not agree with.
fausto

Unread postby Milo V » Sun Mar 28, 2010 5:08 pm

Actually Ray T. Malbrough's book "Charms, Spells and Formulas" has some very, very good oil formulas, some influenced by Wicca, true, but most are Hoodoo oils. His incenses are priceless and he provides a good information on doll magic, and Saints too. His book "Magickal Power of the Saints" is another good choice. He is from Louisiana , where many, many systems and traditions collide together, which is by no means a bad thing IF DONE PROPERLY that is.

Blessings !
Milo V

Unread postby Mystic Mambo » Sun Apr 04, 2010 6:27 am

I ve found Charms spells and formulas very good !when it comes to wiccan influence just change the wording to suit your conjure so it doesnt sound like a chant... I generally write my own conjures and tend to use the formulas and remedies in the book to as a guideline to the entire workings.. I Found The Magical Power of Saints ""brilliant and a must for any catholic hoodoo rootworker like myself ;) Practical Candle burning rituals"" is also very very excellent it gives of course 2 sides to each conjure the christian side and the wiccan side if that is your path? hope I have been helpful God Bless :) :D
Mystic Mambo

What are the best books to get on the following topics?

Unread postby JasmineTalula » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:31 pm

Saints.
Herbs.
Roots.
& Oils
JasmineTalula

Re: What are the best books to get on the following topics?

Unread postby faith2008 » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:39 pm

For herbs and roots I think Cat's book Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic is the best and as far as saints I like The Magical Power of the Saints. You can find the both at the link below. As for oils maybe someone else can offer some suggestions.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html

Hope that helps.
faith2008

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Jul 11, 2010 5:46 pm

Anna Riva's Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils is great on how to use oils. We sell it at the shop and online.

BOO-GRI-GOSE
Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils by Anna Riva
$8.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby rosieso » Tue Jul 20, 2010 6:24 am

catherineyronwode wrote:Anna Riva's Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils is great on how to use oils. We sell it at the shop and online.

Thank you for this link. I think these are some quite interesting books for me as a newbie. I will definitely buy some of them and hopefully I will learn a lot. I am happy that most of the books on this list are quite cheap so I can buy many.
rosieso

Beginner Books on Conjure Practice, Please

Unread postby cognitivedissonance » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:19 pm

:D

Seriously, this makes me happy, it looks like there's some fresh gems in there. Some of them don't have any information on the site catalogue yet, does anybody have any reviews or comments on the new ones? I'm interested in "Hoodoo Money Conjure", and it looks like there's a few different dream books.

Just... wow. I'm excited.
cognitivedissonance

Re: LOADS of new books in the book section!

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:38 pm

Hoodoo Money Conjure by Starr Casas isn't actually a new book. It's a booklet written by AIRR member and talented Conjure Woman, Starr Casas who also taught a workshop on the subject a few years back. I bought the booklet a little while back from LM and found it a wonderful resource on money conjure--it is filled with wonderful tricks!

My recommendations for books from LM would be :

BOO-GRI-HHHC Book Spellcraft Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic, Hardcover by cat yronwode $39.95 --A must have for beginning students of hoodoo and seasoned conjure workers alike. This book literally is the first of its kind and really the only text that truly compiles all the traditional roots, herbs, and curios of conjure and presents various ways which they are used in conjure. Every time I open it up, I always learn something new.

BOO-GRI-MSCB Book Spellcraft Master Book of Candle Burning by Henri Gamache $7.50 --This work on candle magick really is a staple for any candle-burning conjurer. It has dozens of rites that demonstrate how candles are used in a variety of fashions including moving candle spells and how they are combined with biblical verses.

BOO-GRI-MCCD Book Spellcraft The Magic Candle by Charmaine Dey $7.00 --The second foundational book on candle magick. Here you'll find more information about figure candles and such.

BOO-GRI-SOPS Book Spellcraft Secrets of the Psalms by Godfrey Selig $6.00 --This Kabbalistic text was one of the most popular during the days of the Jewish mail-order supply stores. It will help unravel how to work with the psalms in your private work and is a staple for verse reciting conjure doctors.

BOO-GRI-SPCM Book Spellcraft Spiritual Cleansing by Draja Mickaharic $12.95 --While not entirely about hoodoo, this book is a compilation of folk magick practices that revolve around cleansing oneself of spiritual dirt. Mickaharic combines his knowledge of Afro-Carribbean magick, Easter European, and hoodoo to give this immensly useful text. You'll find many rootworkers drawing upon his cleansing tricks.

BOO-GRI-GOSE Book Spellcraft Golden Secrets of Mystic Oils by Anna Riva $8.50 -- Mistaken as a formula book by some, this book is actually a compilation of how to employ the various condition oils available. It is filled with neat spells and tricks that help you understand how oils can be used in rootwork.

BOO-GRI-HOMC Book Spellcraft Hoodoo Money Conjure, Starr, Spiral Bound $12.95 --Filled with old-timey tricks on how to draw money, wealth, and prosperity from and old school conjure woman.

BOO-FLS-MAMH Book Folklore Studies Mules and Men by Zora Neale Hurston, paperback $13.50 --A must for understanding the stories and history behind hoodoo and its practitioners. She was a revolutionary woman and her work includes a couple forumlae that are still in use today. Her stories alone will give you the flavors of hoodoo

BOO-DIV-DRSI Book Divination Dream Singers, Anthony Shafton $24.95 --If you want to understand dreams and their role in hoodoo and African American culture, this book is a must.

BOO-FLS-BMCP Book Folklore Studies Black Magic by Yvonne Chireau, paperback $23.95 --An anthropological look into the mileu that gave rise to conjure and what role it played in the culture of African Americans.

These books I would consider to be great buys for understanding conjure. But there are tons more books that come highly recommended, though these stuck out to me.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Mon Sep 13, 2010 6:49 am

cognatived - Hoodoo Money Conjure by Starr is a fantastic little chapbook with a nice spiral binding. I bought it the second I saw it stocked in the Lucky Mojo shop and love it. Starr is a wonderful lady and it comes out in her writing. A very good resource that has lots of different ideas. Highly recommended and well worth it!

conjureman - Thanks for that list...some great recommendations...

=Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby ONiki Muse » Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:30 pm

Great info CM!
I was just looking at the book catalogue and was jotting down the books that I thought would be a great read to learn while wondering which ones are the best. Thanks for the info :geek:
Blessing
Blessing
ONiki Muse
Forum Moderator

Beginner Books, Please

Unread postby eener » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:01 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm relatively new to this and have been doing simple candle magic for a few years. I'm a member of myhoodoospace.ning.com and I listen to the LMRH every Sunday. WhileI dabbled in the condition oils and herbs appropiate to the candle I may be burning, I'd like to know if there are any specific books I can read to further develop in this area. Any feedback you provide is welcome.

Thanks in advance!
eener

Re: Beginner

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun Oct 31, 2010 5:52 pm

ms. cat has a free online book titled Hoodoo in Theory and Practice (http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html). It is a powerhouse of information that includes herbs, oils, candles etc etc.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Sun Oct 31, 2010 6:36 pm

This is a wonderful free online book that has helped many of us ;) There are so many wonderful tools available in this free online book. Welcome to The Forum also!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Mama Micki » Mon Nov 01, 2010 8:57 am

If you are serious about studying Hoodoo, order Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic. If you order it from Lucky Mojo, Miss Cat will sign it.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby jwmcclin » Mon Nov 01, 2010 3:52 pm

Here is the link to Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby eener » Tue Nov 02, 2010 3:15 pm

Thanks everyone and I am serious.
eener

Unread postby ONiki Muse » Sun Nov 07, 2010 10:21 am

you wont be dissappointed
Be Blessed!
Blessing
ONiki Muse
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Sun Nov 07, 2010 7:24 pm

Welcome to our forums Eener! Good luck to you!
Check out the group of books that Lucky Mojo has in their inventory:

-Joseph
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Book Suggestion List: Do's and Don'ts

Unread postby islandma » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:20 pm

Good day family.

I am wish to learn hoodoo for self help purposes. I was brought up in a christian but supersticious home. I recently crossed waters to had a obeah man rid me of bad omen placed on me by jealous enemies, whom sucessfully distroyed my relationship and was seking hard to distroy my business. I had loyal clients turn their backs on me by unloyal staff; and wheeling in clients with ease seemed like a theme of the past; and I had government agencies on my behind like curry stains on a "sunday best" dress. My life was upside down, and I couldn't sleep due to fear of the spirit that haunted my body sexually at nights. All of these things I endured until now I sought help.

Now everything is more calm. And I'm ready to jump on the bandwagon again. However, I still think I need some "self help", if you know what I mean.

1. PROTECTION (HOME- family, BUSINESS, SELF)

2. MONEY (reaping in clients, maintaining clientel, holding onto my funds)

3. . LOVE (I want to attract the ideal mate suitable for me)

4. I am doing some research and I stumbled onto a few book titles by L. De Laurence. (I think I spelled his name right ;) ). I wanted to know more about his writin and why they were (Pub. by DeLaurance & Scott Co. of Chicago) is banned in several countries? Thankfully, however I am able to obtain copies within mine. Is his work any good? (I'm supposing they are since it is a taboo.)

5. Can anyone share any advise on good and proven spell books that I should use and read?

6. Can anyone share with me more info on tailsmans & amulets and how to use them?

7. Also I read somewhere about amulets of protection as jewelry (for example, "charged rings")... they range in various prices.

a. How am I to know if one is authentic to purchase?

b. Would they require something biologically linked to myself inorder to activate their worth?

If someone can enlighten me with answers the my above questions it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your assistance in my matters. God's gracious blessing to all. --"Ms.Islandma"
islandma

Re: Sacred & taboo writings

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Dec 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Hello, and welcome to this forum.

Unfortunately, you have asked too many questions in one post -- these can all be answered, but not in this section of the forum.

1) Use the Ask for Help with Your Situation portion of the board. Name your request something like "Protection Spells, Please."

2) Use the Ask for Help with Your Situation portion of the board. Name your request something like "Business Money Spells, Please."

3) Use the Ask for Help with Your Situation portion of the board. Name your request something like "Love Spells, Please."

4) L. W DeLaurence was a book pirate who stole other people's texts, back around 1900 -1914. He published occult books in the USA at a time when the USA did not have a copyright treaty with Great Britain, and he ripped off the writings of British authors 0-- hence his books were banned in British-ruled nations like Jamaica etc. This ave rise to the idea that the books were "taboo." Actually they were just copyright violations of British books. De Laurence is log dead, and those books are mostly out of copyright ow anyway, but at the time it was quite a scandal.

5) Try my book, "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" o any of the books we sell in our shop at

6) Use the Amulets and Talismans portion of the board. Name your request something like "Information on Talismans, Please."

7) Use the Amulets and Talismans portion of the board. Name your request something like "Information on Protection Jewelry, Please."
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Is there are Reading List to prepare for cat's course?

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:27 pm

I swear I read on here a recommended reading list to go through before signing up for course work. Is there such a thing? If not, can any one recommend good books? The LM website has a ton of books, but which ones are more relevant to me if I want to take this class. I would like to learn more about Hoodoo before I try and jump into the class. Thank you!
gemini

Re: Reading List

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:32 pm

Oh! I kept searchin and found the list.

but for me, to clarify, I'm only going to make use out of books recommended to read before taking the correspondence course.

I have been going through luckymojo.com and reading but I need a print book. The computer hurts my eyes after a while :\
gemini

Re: Reading List

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:40 pm

You can read cat's online book Hoodoo in Rootwork in Theory and Practice (http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html) and purchase Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic (http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodooherbmagic.html) The course is designed to teach you about hoodoo in great detail. You can read further about the course here (http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html)
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Re: Is there are Reading List to prepare for cat's course?

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 6:58 pm

Yes, I'm reading through those a bit at a time! For example, this 'ghost list' (I swear I saw it on here as a post or the main LM site) suggested a book Spiritual Cleansing. I already had the book, but reading it prompted me to dig it out and go through it. It really helped me understand about protecting yourself and your home as you do work, or for every day life. I know this is a LM board so maybe if from thier books page, narrowed down, what might be the best books to prep. I do read online here, but I need something to take with me, or something that won't strain my eyes. Thank you jwmcclin for the suggestion!
gemini

Unread postby coraa » Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:49 pm

I've been reading "Master Book of Candle Burning" and "Of Mules and Men," and have found them both to be invaluable. (They're both available at Lucky Mojo, here: http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatbooks.html) I wouldn't presume to speak for miss cat, and I haven't taken her course (although I hope to, when I have more of a grounding in the basics), but they provide a lot of good information about hoodoo.

I've heard excellent things about the works by Draja Mickaharic, but haven't read them yet.
coraa

Unread postby gemini » Sat Jan 08, 2011 8:16 pm

Thank you coraa! I will check those out! I also have the Master Book of Candle Burning book and I'm reading that next. The one book I really wanted I think is out of print, it's on Amazon for $75+ :( not in my budget so I'm looking for alternatives. These are a good place to start.
gemini

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Sat Jan 08, 2011 10:03 pm

Join the Newsletter to find out what is going on and what is coming up at Lucky Mojo:
http://archive.constantcontact.com/fs00 ... 70289.html
Prepare yourself with the links that jwmcclin provided, when you take the course you will want to have an understanding about what are you are learning.
Usenet and the "archived posts" are facinating. You could spend days and weeks learning in there.
http://www.arcane-archive.org/faqs/altluckywfaq.php
Usenet has provided a wealth of information! (just hope the link is right :) )
This link, if correct, provides a link to Hoodoo In Theory and practice and Southern Spirits and much more. All of this should be very helpful in helping you attain your goals in preparation!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:13 am

There is a recommended book list in the back of my book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic."

If you intend to take the course, you will have to purchase HHRM first, so there's your book list! :-)

An annotated and expanded version of the book list from HHRM, titled Annotated Bibliography of Hoodoo Source material," can be found online at my Southern Spirits web site:

http://www.southern-spirits.com/hoodoo- ... raphy.html
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Color me lazy but I Want You to Look Up a Book Title for Me

Unread postby blackcateyes » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:17 pm

Color me lazy but I must admit ...I didn't look at the catalog..but is there a hoodoo book out there which focuses solely on oils and their meanings in hoodoo ...or essential oils and their meanings in hoodoo...mostly asking for the essential oils and their meanings in hoodoo... Please...
Just a spoon full of honey makes the medicine go down....;)
blackcateyes

Re: Color me lazy but I Want You to Look Up a Book Title for Me

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:20 pm

Order

Orig. pub. 1990; this is a revised edition reprint, 2000. Over 550 of the most popular commercially-prepared condition oils are listed, with synonyms for those available from different manufacturers. This is not a formulary with recipes for making oils -- rather it names the oils and tells you how to use each one by including many short spells, chants, prayers, and combinations for fixing up mojo hands. 176 pages, trade paperback.

BOO-GRI-GOSE
$8.50

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Joseph Magnuson » Fri Mar 11, 2011 9:05 am

I own the book above and it really is a pretty great read. One of the more informative Anna Riva books. A good primer on which to use for what!

-Joseph M.
Joseph Magnuson
Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread postby blackcateyes » Mon Apr 04, 2011 2:07 pm

THANK YOU!!! That's what I was looking for ...as I have said before..Mama Cat knows best! But seriously...I wasn't looking for the formulas as I know it prob won't be in a book..or if it is ...not 100% correct ..either way ...I was looking more for a book like you're herb book but for oils...I've heard of that chicka and her oils seem legit ..so I can only assume from what little I know about her that the book would be good..and from of course you two suggesting it of course!!!! Thanks again!!!! Sorry to be so late in posting but got sucked into a project..sure you can understand what that is like..when you get too into a thing and it consumes you but I'm back on the attack!
Just a spoon full of honey makes the medicine go down....;)
blackcateyes

Le grand & petit Albert - Catholic folk magic

Unread postby aura » Mon Jul 04, 2011 1:01 pm

Hi, I really don't know if this is the right place to post - so please bear with my fumbling and feel free to delete the message if I've oopsed. The message is addressed to Miss Cat and/or other person(s) responsible for YIPPIE. I would like to know if you would be interested in adding to the archived information the formularies in the title of the thread topic. (I'm preparing an English-language translation of the document since currently the only share-ware documents I could find (copyright expired somewhere in the late 16th century...) are in olde French.

In short, the documents are Kabbalistic-inspired formulary (there is some ceremonial magickal reference as well as herbalistic and folk-magic - ok, ok, it's a smorgasbord of many different magical cultures compiled together) translated and put together by a Dominican monk in the 1200's - Albert.

That said, the ''petit Albert'' was a standard book in the arsenal of most rural Québec parish priests who often subbed-in as the village apothecary, doctor and rain-maker.

As historical documents they're interesting. It's also a fascinating testament to the use of magic within the Catholic religion.
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism
Forum Moderator

Re: Le grand & petit Albert - Catholic folk magic

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Mon Jul 04, 2011 10:33 pm

Sounds fascinating. I am a fan of Albertus Magnus' work and have some English translations of other treatise attributed to him. Both Le Grand and Petit Albert are used heavily in Catholic folk magic and are especially popular in the Carribean.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Re: Le grand & petit Albert - Catholic folk magic

Unread postby aura » Tue Jul 05, 2011 4:53 am

Thank you for the humble pie ConjureMan Ali: I really had no ideat that Albert Le Grand was Albertus Magnus :oops: . I've only ever dealt with his work in the olde french versions, rather than the latin, being francophone myself. We always just called him Saint Albert where he's mostly known for being St-Thomas d'Aquin's teacher.

Should you be interested in the translations, feel free to PM me. (It will be a little while and more than a few diffusers-full of King Solomon's Wisdom oil until they're done however ;) )
Road-Opening, Healing & Herbalism
Forum Moderator

Next

• Advertisement
Herb-Magic.com

Return to Books, Pamphlets, Instruction Manuals, and Grimoires in Hoodoo