Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Advice on Fully Absorbing the Course Information

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
papagee
AIRR Member
Advice on Fully Absorbing the Course Information

Unread post by papagee » Sun Apr 13, 2014 6:34 pm

I thought I'd take a few moments and share my best piece of advice on taking the Hoodoo Rootwork Course.

Read the course book twice. I know that everyone is excited to get started and want to really soak up all the information. You want to jump right in and master everything, which is completely normal.

But I found that by reading the book twice, it helped so much in absorbing and understanding everything. The FIRST time I read the course book, I simply read it AS A BOOK - not as a course. This gave me the freedom to simply enjoy it for nothing more than the pleasure of reading a new book. When I read it the SECOND time with the intent of reading it like a text book, I would find new information. The first read through, I had either skimmed over a topic or didn't fully comprehend it. But the second read filled in any gaps and created opportunities for some "ah ha" moments.

So, just a little unsolicited advice. Read and read again. You'll appreciate and retain it so much more.

Papa Gee
"You can't practice witchcraft while you look down your nose at it." - Practical Magic

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Advice on Fully Absorbing the Course Information

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Apr 14, 2014 2:32 pm

Thanks for the advice! I hope some folks take it. The book is designed to be a reference you can use over and over again, for years.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

Ruth
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Ruth » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:01 am

Papa Gee

That is how I am doing it, too. I read it once years ago and just read it again. Now I am reading it a third time and doing the homework. You're so right about catching things you didn't see or notice the first read through.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:16 pm

Excellent advice, PapaGee.

Not only that, fellow students, but do each of the homework assignments at least twice -- and turn in the best example of each.

Miss Michaele
HRCC Graduate #0361 - Forum Moderator
Member of HP - Member of AIRR - Author

Mrs Black Indian
HRCC Student

Unread post by Mrs Black Indian » Wed Apr 16, 2014 4:22 pm

MissMichaele

So much great advice!!! :D Miss Michaele I do like your suggestion about the homework assignments. I will do that and then turn in the best. Thanks to ALL that give so much, it is very appreciated.
Blessings!
Thank You Saint Martha Dominator Lubana!!!

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Thu Apr 17, 2014 6:42 am

This is all excellent advice. I also recommend not waiting to do the homework. Get that stuff done and turned in! I took forever to finish it and I kinda regret not getting that done sooner. I also like to read one chapter a week (which conveniently gets you through the book in 1 year of course). That is how I first went through the course( The lessons were sent one week at a time in an e-mail at that time) and I find continuing to read it each year refreshes my memory on what I have forgotten and tends to produce more insights in how things fit together.

Peace~

Nathen

P.S. Thank you again Miss Cat for creating the course and being so patient with those of us who are much slower at turning in that homework!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 17, 2014 8:46 am

Thanks again for the helpful comments. I love it when folks turn in their homework and graduate!
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

papagee
AIRR Member

Unread post by papagee » Thu Apr 17, 2014 1:29 pm

Good tip from Miss Michaele!

I actually did do a few of the homework assignments more than once. Originally, with the dried herbs assignment, I used cut lemongrass from my garden but it just looked so flat and "lame" in the bag that I said to myself, "you can do better than this!"

The mojo bag I created more than once. I actually used a youtube video to show me how to tie a Millers Knots because I'm more of a hands-on-physically-SHOW-ME kind of guy. You can explain something to me 10 times and I might still be lost. But if you'll just SHOW me how to do something, I actually "get it."

Papa Gee <---- (who is now a Graduate) :D
"You can't practice witchcraft while you look down your nose at it." - Practical Magic

Shantilly Lace

Unread post by Shantilly Lace » Thu Apr 17, 2014 5:26 pm

Can't wait till I'm eligible to do this course, will use these tips.

OMPawo
HRCC Student

Unread post by OMPawo » Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:38 pm

Great advice for the course. Thank you Papa Gee. I can't wait to get started.
HRCC student and hoodoo apprentice.

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”