• Advertisement
Crystal-Silence-League-Link

It is currently Tue Dec 12, 2017 11:26 pm

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.

HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread postby Abraxas » Sat Feb 07, 2009 10:43 pm

I've been seriously considering trying to sign up for the HRCC and have decided to officially begin the process of becoming more acquainted with the shop in order to qualify some time by the end of this month or the beginning of the next.

After checking over the curriculum page my only question is about how in depth the instruction on crafting the actual oils is, and what is said on any other herb formulas. I understand Cat's personal recipes are under wraps and that makes complete sense, so with enough learning will I be able to feel out my own formulas?

Does the course cover the methods for drying and extracting the herbs? I remember cat mentioning she taught that to a student in-person, but wondered if it will be explained via correspondence.

I'm a pretty proficient candle maker when it comes to using them for some other magick work, and just want to be able to add the oil making process to my skill set.

Maybe some obvious questions, but these are the only ones I have when looking over the course info, everything about it looks great and if it's at all any more deep then whats already on the archives I'm really looking forward to it.
Abraxas

Re: HRCC: Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Feb 07, 2009 11:13 pm

Hello, Abraxas,

Regarding herbs and oils, as taught in the course:

Students are expected to learn how to dry a sample herb and they submit it in Homework #6 for a pass/fail grade.

Homework #7's assignment is to make a sample conjure oil and submit it for a pass/fail grade.

Very few, if any, root doctors distill their own essential oils from plants, although some prepare oil and ointment infusions. I do teach the general principles of crafting oils, including several methods of infusion, both in oil and ointment forms, but i do not teach methods of essential oil distillation.

Some students wish to devise their own oil recipes, but becoming proficient at magical perfumery is not everyone's goal in hoodoo.

Most down home conjure practitioners and most professional root doctors do not make their own oils, but prefer to use oils purchased from a supply house or order house, which is why a company like the Lucky Mojo exists.

In keeping with this general form of practice, i have designed the course so that submitting one small bottle of hand-made oil is required, but submitting an oil made according to an original recipe is neither expected nor required. To this end i have posted a few specific and common recipes online for the convenience of my students who wish to pass Homework #7 without having to devise their own recipes.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Is Making Oils Taught in the Course?

Unread postby Abraxas » Sun Feb 08, 2009 3:55 am

Alright, that makes a great deal of sense. I forgot to mention above that I understand distillation is a pretty intensive process, also, if I remember correctly it takes a great deal of plant material to start with doesn't it? I'm glad you offer such a good variety of oils to work with, really looking forward to learning from you.

thanks again
Abraxas

Dangers to an HRCC Student / Conjure Newbie?

Unread postby misterkurtis » Tue Feb 24, 2009 7:50 pm

I'm a new student taking the HRCC.

I'm wondering, as someone inexperienced, is there anything I should avoid for now in hoodoo? Are there things I need to get lots of guidance and experience with before messing around with? I don't have anything in particular that I'm thinking of. Just curious.
misterkurtis

Re: Dangers to an HRCC Student / Conjure Newbie?

Unread postby Miss Bri » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:14 pm

Hi Mister Kurtis,

Congratulations on enrolling in HRCC! I and several others on this forum are graduates of the course and can confidently tell you that you have taken a powerful step in increasing your understanding of traditional conjure magic :-)

Your question is a very good one, but it really depends on what your background in conjure is, for a brand new person who is not familiar with the practices or cultural background of hoodoo I would say take your time before getting started on graveyard work, goofering anyone, revenge and reversal spells. In the case of the last three examples we are dealing with harsher workings that require some foreknowledge of cleansing rites and rituals. In the case of graveyard work you are communicating with spirits of the dead and that requires a certain level of understanding and respect of the values and norms associated with this kind of work. Now, obviously if you are from a tradition or background where graveyard work is quite common then just ignore this advice, but for a brand new person I would say, take your time, do blessing and success work and work your way up to it.

take care,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Lukianos » Wed Feb 25, 2009 3:07 am

If you are new to hoodoo, you can't go wrong by taking the time to read the lessons in the HRCC book, in the order presented, at the rate for which they were designed and written: one per week. Likewise, I would suggest doing the associated exercises and homework assignments as they come up in the text--take the baths, try the variations, etc. In her HRCC, Miss cat has brought together a formidable array of materials sourced from both her own field interviews and experience, and from the existing historical record. As a student, you benefit from her experience, and from her organization and presentation of those materials. You may, after you've traversed the HRCC, decide that you prefer not to work with one or another aspects of hoodoo and conjure, but to make an arbitrary pre-emptive decision at the outset of the course about entire categories of rootwork would be premature. Read the course book, ask questions on the course list, and see where your journey takes you!
Good luck!
Lukianos

Unread postby Literarylioness » Wed Feb 25, 2009 9:35 pm

misterkurtis wrote:I'm a new student taking the HRCC.

I'm wondering as someone inexperienced is there anything I should avoid for now in hoodoo? Are there things I need to get lots of guidance and experience with before messing around with? I don't have anything in particular that I'm thinking of. Just curious.

Stay away from the graveyard until you have quite a bit under your belt.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby misterkurtis » Sat Feb 28, 2009 3:53 pm

Thanks for the advice. I'm taking the lessons and homework one by one.

Regarding the graveyard. What could go wrong? And how much is a bit under my belt?
misterkurtis

Unread postby Miss Bri » Sat Feb 28, 2009 4:31 pm

misterkurtis wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm taking the lessons and homework one by one.

Regarding the graveyard. What could go wrong? And how much is a bit under my belt?

Hi Mister Kurtis,

If you do the lessons and homework one by one then you should be well prepared by the time you get to the grave yard work in the course.

I don't want to speak for Mary, but I would say that having a bit under your belt means that you have done other kinds of conjure work, especially spiritual baths. You know how to cleanse and protect your self, your home space, and your family from trouble.

Most importantly though, you are comfortable working with and venerating the dead. This is not natural to everyone since many cultures have specific taboos against the living having a lot of contact with the deceased. In other cultures such relationships are acceptable and even expected. If you come from a background where working and communicating and honoring the spirits of the dead is natural then graveyard work will probably resonate with you and make a lot of sense, if you come from a background where it does not then you need to take your time in working up to this kind of work.

As far as what can go wrong? Well, you are dealing with spirits of the dead--not all of them are resting peacefully and not all of them are nice. Catch my drift?

Good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Is the Course Suitable for Beginners?

Unread postby Sharona22 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:37 pm

Is the hoodoo rootwork corespondence course something a beginner with no background in hoodoo could use and understand or should I do something prior to this. I think I need a little help because I know nothing on a lot of these subjects and if it was not for LM having prepared candles and kits etc. and good info, I would have not been able to start on anything, so thanks for having LM for all of us novices
Sharona22

Re: Is the Course Suitable for Beginners?

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 02, 2009 2:16 pm

The course is not geared for beginners. You need to have some understanding of the subject before i will accept you as a student. One way to do this is to read every page in the online version of "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice." The quickest link for that is to go to the Table of Contents at

http://luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

and start by clicking on the first link. When you encounter a word that you don't understand, and it is linked, click on the link and read that page, then hit your browser's "back" button and finish the page you started on. Come back to the Table of Contents at the end of each page and read the next page. You may hit some pages you had read previously, but they will make more sense the second time around. After you have read every single page at "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice," pick up a copy of the print book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and read that cover to cover.

Meanwhile, purchase some of our oils, candles, and other supplies and try working out a few spells. I'd guess that if you really do this, and stick with it, and If you have black friends on Facebook, you'll be ready to take the course in three or four months.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Cat's Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondense Course

Unread postby snake » Mon Mar 02, 2009 6:52 pm

I'm wondering why people take the course and who the course is written for. People with intellectual curiosity? People who want to be pro rootworkers? People who just want to be able to help themselves and friends? People with a particular background?

I've been making incense and oils in a totally different tradition for myself and friends. I'd like to learn more folk magic techniques and more about the history of American folk magic, because I'm just fascinated. I love blues music, and maybe some of that is included in the course? I'm really into DIY, so I like being able to make everything myself. I don't really think I want to do Work work for other people, but I want to be able to help my friends and make more interesting and useful types of incense and oils. Would the course be appropriate for me?
snake

Re: Who Takes the Course?

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 03, 2009 2:56 pm

People take the course for a number of reasons.

The best students are those who come from a hoodoo-family background and want to learn about the history outside their own family (including references to old music, such as you mentioned) and to pick up a bunch of new and yet authentic ways of working. They need not wish to become professionals; the course works equally well for family practitioners who only work to help themselves and their loved ones.

Good students also include those who have some background in similar yet culturally different forms of folk magic, such as curandismo, stregeria, brujeria, African sorcery, or Middle Eastern folk magic.

Students with a general background in some form of religious magic or general magical theory can succeed and may graduate if they can place their religious concepts aside while studying. However, there is a higher rate of homework rejection and re-doing of assignments among these students, because many of them try to force-fit conjure into religions like Santeria, Voodoo, Wicca, or Buddhism (despite the fact that hoodoo developed among Christians in the U.S. South and it is thus a form of Christian folk magic) or they have no contact with black Americans (the major culture-bearers of hoodoo).

Family practitioners who wish to become professionals will find the course quite useful, as a certain number of lessons are devoted to the subjects of storefront altars, relationships between reader-practitioners and their clients, and the traditional ways we perform hands-on work for the public.

The major focus of the course is on practical spell-casting, not on how to craft spiritual supplies, although the latter is covered in general theory and in some practical detail. Students who want recipes from me should not take the course, as they will find it unsatisfying, and i will be unwelcoming to their attempts to ferret out my formulas.

Almost 1,500 people have enrolled in the course since 2003, but a relatively small number have ever turned in their homework or graduated. For this reason i no longer offer the course to the general public, but only to customers of my shop. Purchase of Lucky Mojo products by prospective students informs me hat they are familiar with and can work with spiritual supplies and are already somewhat familiar with conjure practices. It is also required that they be familiar with my online free book "Hoodoo in Theory and Practice" and with my Southern-Spirits web site, and that they have purchased a copy of my print book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" prior to enrollment.

There is no rush to enroll. Think about it a bit, talk to others who have taken the course, read the curriculum posted online, and familiarize yourself with the homework requirements so that you will not be forced to drop out due to being unable to complete the assignments. Then, if it still looks good to you, get to know me, buy some products from the shop, call me up and we'll talk, and i will probably take you on as a student.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby Sharona22 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 3:00 pm

I am going to start today since I am excited and very intent on learning. I have bought a lot of your products already, mostly pre-made spell kits, mojo bags, candles, etc., but I have also added to them and am going to do one from brginning to end myself. I did something already with jobs tears that worked.
Sharona22

Unread postby Literarylioness » Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:32 pm

snake wrote:I'm wondering why people take the course and who the course is written for. People with intellectual curiosity? People who want to be pro rootworkers? People who just want to be able to help themselves and friends? People with a particular background?

I think the students fall into all of those categories, to some extent. I took the course due to my curiosity and due to my mentor being raised a rootworker. I wanted to know more about his background and a history he basically just accepted.

I think you would do well if you come into the course with an open mind and not trying to fit Hoodoo into other magical systems, or religions. That is the biggest problem I see amongst students who have other religions and systems in their lives. Study Hoodoo for Hoodoo's sake and not trying to fit into another magical system.

Also, many past students came into the course just to magically shop for spells and pick cat's brain. Few, if any, of these students have graduated, or turned in homework. If that is the intent of the student, whether obviously or covertly, it is best just not to take the course. Neither the student or the teacher will get anything from it.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby snake » Tue Mar 03, 2009 5:10 pm

Good news! It sounds like I would fit in pretty well. I looked through the curriculum and the homework looks really reasonable. I've been doing a lot of things from my own intuition and trying to piece together scattered family practices. I'd like to learn the correct way to do these things because I have a friend that says I have powers but I'm not doing things quite right. He can't teach me, but I don't really want to be blundering through the spirit world. I think right now my interest is more in herbalism, and I'm looking into a Hispanic herbalism course. I think that would be more useful for the incenses and oils I make. Maybe later in the summer I'll sign up for the course. I'm hoping to make a trip up to the Lucky Mojo store some time next month. I've been buying Lucky Mojo oils from a store closer to home, and I just recently placed an order online. I have a very long wish list ;)
snake

Unread postby Literarylioness » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:07 pm

misterkurtis wrote:Thanks for the advice. I'm taking the lessons and homework one by one.

The course starts off with protection and you should keep up with the protection work. Protection work should be done on a regular basis. What I have seen happen with students of the course, is to get lazy about protecting themselves. Protection is important when working with the spirits of the dead. "A bit under your belt" refers to being consistent with the first three homework assignments and consistent with protecting yourself. This will make your homework number four, graveyard dirt, much easier and pleasant.

Hope that helps.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby tisha » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:51 pm

i'm one of those bad people who didn't turn in their homework. :cry:

google (or was it yahoo?) wouldn't let me sign into board discussions either.

i saved all correspondence and re-read it often. it is the best info i have ever had.

i come from a catholic background and love the mystery and mysticism of it but the religious side left me cold.

i have gone on to study voodoo, wicca, Buddhism and hoodoo.

mrs cat's course has finally made me feel at home with my own magic.

i suggest reading the online book at lucky mojo and purchasing her herb & curio book.

that will give you a strong overview before your studies.

an opportunity to study like this is a rare gift.

seize it if you can.

namaste.
tisha

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 04, 2009 4:20 pm

Tisha, i have never heard of Yahoo "not allowing" people to join the ongoing hrcourse group. I do recall we had a lot of trouble with bouncing emails from your old ren-trim address -- and i'm glad to see you got that straightened out. All you have to do to join the Yahoo group for students is go to the group sign-in page, ask to join, and in the message box clearly state your full name and student ID#, so we can verify your student status, and you will be automatically approved. If you do not state your name and student ID#, your request will be rejected, with a form letter asking you to re-apply with the necessary information. When you re-apply with name and student ID#, you will be accepted into the group. It's quite simple and painless -- and almost 1,000 students have successfully joined the Yahoo group.

Also, i truly would like you to turn in your homework. Right now you are listed as "inactive," but in 2010 -- five years after you enrolled, and with a record that indicates you never turned in any homework at all -- you will be officially listed as "failed." It does not reflect well on your professional status as a self-styled "hoodoo mama" that other students will see your name in our roster as a "failed" student. You liked the course well enough to commercially utilize what i taught you, and you are graciously recommending the course to others, so it would be naturally respectful to me -- and professionally useful to you -- to complete your assignments and graduate. Think about it.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby tisha » Wed Mar 04, 2009 11:57 pm

funny thing is i got my goods together twice to mail in, but just never did it...
always been a bit embarrassed about that.
i think you just gave me a boot the bum i need.
thank you most kindly!

yahoo didn't recognize my password after creating an account and i think i just got frustrated.
i will track down my student id and try again.
my goodness!
you pulled the "roundtuit" right out of me :D
tisha

Unread postby misterkurtis » Fri Mar 06, 2009 6:51 pm

Thanks Bri and Mary...
misterkurtis

Re: Buying from Lucky Mojo

Unread postby Literarylioness » Thu Mar 12, 2009 1:11 pm

There are students from Italy, Jamaica, Sweden, and quite a few from the UK. There have been students who have come to apprentice with cat from out of the country, so being out of the country is not a very viable reason.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:11 am

Misterkurtis I am going to be taking the course also but Cat suggested I read the Hoodoo theroy and her book prior to because I had no knowledge on anything hoodoo so I am. The reason everything Bri and Mary said is right is I know someone who had only little preotection knowledge and started messing around with spirits and regreted it she had to go to someone to help her and her family.
Sharona22

Re: Buying from Lucky Mojo

Unread postby Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:18 am

I am going to take the couse after reading the Hoodoo theory and cats book to ask that you buy from LM so you are able to be lucky enough to take this course(especially since the quality of LM's products are awesome) is a no brainer. I can not wait to be able to be accepted
Sharona22

Unread postby Sharona22 » Sat Mar 14, 2009 9:27 am

The more I listen to cat the more I can not wait to take the course she is tough
Sharona22

Unread postby Alan » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:07 am

I have a small bit of background in folk magic. I guess one might call it "Granny Magic." My great grandmother on Mom's side told me some wonderful stories and taught me some good tricks/spells, and I use what she taught me often.

My gret grandmother was an English/Native American, as was her husband and their kids. One of her daughters (my grandmother) married an English/Irish/Native American. My mom (the child of the latter two) married (my dad) a descendant of something that his adopted Mom called "Gypsies." I have a picture of Dad's original family packed in the basement somewhere. So I'm a pretty good mix, I suppose! English/Irish/Native American/"Gypsy" LOL

I've been interested in Hoodoo for a long, long time, but never really got up the wherewithal to actually sign up for the course. I just ordered Cat's book Hoodoo Herb & Root Magic. In the coming month I'll be ordering some more fabulous things from the shop, a couple of uncrossing items in particular that I want.

I've read the online Hoodoo In Theory And Practice and continue to go back over and over again. It's such an amazing storehouse of magical information. I've familiarized myself with the curriculum and homework, too, so I'm really, really looking forward to signing up for the course.
Alan

Unread postby snake » Sat Mar 14, 2009 11:18 am

Alan, your family sounds a lot like mine, except that my father is from Poland. My (maternal) grandmother won't talk about the brown people in our family anymore. At one point in time she showed me pictures of the Native American side of the family, but now she claims they don't exist! If I could just get their names from her I could join the tribe, but I guess it's just not meant to be. I'm really excited about the Hoodoo Herb and Root magic book too, and I can't wait to get a chance to talk with my grandmother about all the little "superstitions" I remember from when I was growing up.
snake

Unread postby Alan » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:45 pm

Snake,

I talked extensively to my great grandmother. She was a "fave relative," if you can indeed have a "fave relative." I always loved visiting her. She would rock by the fireplace as I sat at her feet, listening to her stories about "the old days" and the "potions" she "worked." Of course, her kids (all of them hardcore Baptist) deny all of it (especially my grandmother). Oh well. I got a lot out of spending time with my great grandmother, and I want to dive further into Hoodoo because I believe it is information that she would have valued (and used) a great deal.
Alan

Unread postby Wylde » Sat Mar 28, 2009 2:21 pm

This is what I am doing now (having already read the "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" book and LM products, I hope to be ready soon to join the class.

Wylde
Wylde

Unread postby K54 » Sun Mar 29, 2009 11:44 pm

I too hope to take the class, though I have a ways to go. I just did a Honey Jar spell and "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" is on the way to my home as I write this.
K54

Unread postby twodogs » Thu May 07, 2009 12:53 pm

-Tisha-
LOL, I love your phrase pulled the "roundtuit" out of me! :lol:
I know exactly what you mean! Sometimes I think I need a "roundtuit" oil!
twodogs

Cat's Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondense Course

Unread postby jwmcclin » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:15 am

As I am waiting for my orders and reading the forum, I am anticipating taking the course. There is so much information and knowledge to use and apply to our daily lives that we are not taught correctly as we grew up. I wish I had this forum 10 years ago.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Re: Course

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Jun 03, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for your inerest. I like teaching, and so, for me, finding apt and willing students is one of the joys of my life.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Re: Course

Unread postby jwmcclin » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:21 am

Thanks again cat. You emailed me via email a few weeks ago about my interest and currently I am reading and personalizing work and look forward to the appropriate time.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Correspondence Course

Unread postby enigma16901 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 10:33 am

Hello Miss Catherine,
I hope you're doing well! I must say that I have thoroughly enjoyed ordering from your shop. I've ordered through other stores, but I have found this to be the best hoodoo shop by far. I've emailed you in the past in regards to the correspondence course and what I must do in order to join. I've been a consistent customer of your store since December 2008. I also own your book Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic that I've read completely. I've ordered various spell kits from your store, as well as, oils, herbs, candles, bath products, etc. I've had the opportunity to work with these items, and I know that I am completely serious about learning Hoodoo. My question is, when do you feel I will be ready to start your correspondence course? I really hope that you will take me on as a student. Please let me know what else I need to do in order to sign up for the course. Thank you.

Nicole Ledlow
enigma16901

Re: Correspondence Course

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sat Jun 13, 2009 5:40 pm

Call me at the shop and let's talk. I'll be around Monday and Tuesday morning. Tell Angela or Alicia that you want to sign up for the course, and that i asked to speak with you. Thanks.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby enigma16901 » Sat Jun 13, 2009 6:50 pm

Thank you! I will give you a call then. I appreciate your prompt response.
enigma16901

Unread postby enigma16901 » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:03 pm

Hi Miss Catherine,
I tried giving you a call at the store several times since Monday, but you weren't available. I know that you're probably a very busy lady, so I just wanted to ask you which day and time would be best to call you?

I will go ahead and tell you a little about myself so you can get an idea of where I come from. I'm 27 years old. I'm a Gemini with Virgo rising and moon in Capricorn. I was raised as a Greek Orthodox Christian. However, I'm incredibly open minded and have always been interested in the occult at a very young age. I didn't start studying or practicing magic until 2005 (after I graduated from college). I've always tried my best to separate magic from religion, because if I started incorporating the Orthodox beliefs, it would be too distracting to solely focus on the magic. Some of my occult studies include: Wicca, Astral Projection, Paranormal, Reiki, Psychic/Tarot readings, Voodoo, Divination and Hoodoo. Luckily, I have open minded parents who support my occult studies.

For some reason, I've always been attracted to the African American culture. Probably because I live in the deep South! I've grown up meeting a lot of African Americans throughout my lifetime, and I'm currently close with a few of them. I feel that Hoodoo is a part of my Southern roots, and I want to learn it thoroughly. I think that's why I have such a strong driving force to eventually become a professional root worker. This is a true passion of mine. I really hope you will take me on as a student, because I know I could get the most out of learning Hoodoo with you as my teacher.

Please let me know when the best time to you call you would be. I look forward to speaking with you and awaiting your response!

Thank you,
Nicole Ledlow
enigma16901

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:18 pm

I am here pretty much every day. However i do have a busy schedule. Call the shop and ask for Angela. Tell her that you are interested in the course and ask her to look you up in the database. if you are not in the database, or not a regular customer, she'll explain that you have a ways to go before you can be accepted. if you are in the database and are a regular customer, she'll write me a note and try to come find me. If i'm available, we'll talk. otherwise she'll stick the note on my computer monitor and i'll call you when i have free time.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

ms cat, PLZ TAKE ME AS A STUDENT!

Unread postby Mandy » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:52 am

Dear ms.cat,
I am a customer of Lucky Mojo Curio Company and I fervently desire the opportunity to complete the Hoodoo Magic Course. I promise you I won't disappoint you as a student. I will satisfactorily complete the course on schedule! All I ask is for a chance to prove myself.

I have gone over ALL the provided online info, curriculum & homework assignments. None of the homework assignments seem to difficult to complete. I am white, but I have several black friends, so assignment #2 will not be difficult for me. As for the others, I have done all these things already except collect graveyard dirt, but I look forward to that one too!!! :)

I have read and reread your book,"Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and use it routinely in my magical practice. I also study nature field guides, being ever eager to identify each and every type of plant growing around me as well as the birds, insects and animals. I have read and studied most of the information provided online at luckymojo.com, including the Southern Spirits website, Lucky Amulet Archive, Free Spells, Freemasonry for Women, and HITAP. I have also read some other pertinent books: Harry Middleton Hyatt's "Folklore From Adams County, Illinois" and Zora Neale Hurston's "Mules and Men" as well as the works of Ray Malbrough, Jim Haskins, Manbo Sallie Ann Glassman (whom I met 2 years ago), Stephanie Rose Bird, Maya Deren, and Luiseh Teish. I have also read the two books of Christine Wicker, "Lily Dale" and "Not in Kansas Anymore". I realize some of these texts are about Vodou, not Hoodoo, but I'm aware of the difference. I first came to study Vodou in 2004. At the time I was studying Catholicism and I made a trip to New Orleans. It was there that I first learned about Vodou and Hoodoo. I bought "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" when the paperback was newly published and have studied from it and used it ever since.

I agree to the terms of the course and I solemnly promise I will complete the course within 1 year and will turn in all homework assignments on time. I will most assuredly keep my word to you. On this you may certainly depend!

I am 46 years old, stable, mature and I am eager and well able to learn. I make a living as a licensed practical nurse, am currently the employee health nurse of over 1100 employees in the hospital where I am employed. I know most of them by name. I am a mother of two grown sons and am a new grandmother. I keep a hospitable home and love to cook, garden, and quilt. I am a voracious reader and a lifelong student of history, philosophy, magic, religion, and the Tarot. My favorite music is old time country ( such as Jimmie Rodgers and Hank Williams) and African and Delta blues (such as Rokia Traore and Muddy Waters) and my favorite place in the world is the US Gulf Coastal region. I love my partner and my family and am a happy and positive person, who is often nicknamed Sunshine by folks around me who don't even know others have nicknamed me that. A new doctor at the hospital stopped me in the hallway this week to thank me for my "magical smile". She said it was so welcoming and caused people to want to stay. I know that my shining light will not go to waste as a root worker. I am certain that I am called to this vocation. Please give me a chance to become your student. You won't be disappointed in me. Again, I thank you from the bottom of my heart!

May God bless your endeavors,
Amanda S. Johnson "Mandy"
Mandy

Re: ms cat, PLZ TAKE ME AS A STUDENT!

Unread postby Chagrinedgirl » Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:11 pm

Other than a major posting here, lol, is there a good time to call regarding wanting to be a student, or a way to arrange speaking to you about it?
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...
Chagrinedgirl

Unread postby nagasiva » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:09 pm

check out this URL too:

http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html

and its linkage. good luck.
nagasiva yronwode

Forum Tech Help
forum@luckymojo.com
nagasiva
Site Admin

Unread postby Mandy » Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:02 am

Dear nagasiva,
Thank you for the link. I referred to this work in my letter as HITAP. It's an amazing wealth of knowledge. There's nothing like your website, luckymojo.com, anywhere else on the Web. You and cat are truly a blessing! I have studied HITAP and continue to do so nearly every day. I may sound a little frantic, wanting to study the correspondence course, but honestly I trust that it will happen eventually. Still, it doesn't hurt to let cat know my desire.

For now I will continue with my independent studies and magical work. I just ordered some new books to read: Jeffrey E. Anderson's "Conjure In African American Society", "8th, 9th, & 10th Books of Moses" and "Master Book of Candle Burning" by Henri Gamache, "6th & 7th Books of Moses" by Moses (attributed) and"Black Magic" by Yvonne P. Chireau. This should keep me busy for a while! ;)

On July 21st I'm going to cleanse and do a house blessing ritual in the home I just recently moved to. I also want to make a trip to the family graveyard on my boyfriend's parents' farm and pay for some graveyard dirt. Then I'm going to start some honey jars; one for my beloved and I, one for a sweeter relationship between his young daughter and I, and one for peace and blessings in our home. After that I'm considering what to do about his spiteful ex-wife. I haven't decided if it will be the spell with the blackberry leaves or some kind of hotfoot work or perhaps some other kind of work that I haven't even considered as yet. I will do the cards and also pray for guidance in how best to deal with her. She tries to make a lot of trouble for him since I came into his life. Even though she divorced him, and that was over 3 years ago. I guess she doesn't want him, but doesn't want anyone else to have him either. Or perhaps she just doesn't want him to be happy. From listening to their daughter, I know that the word "hate" is a common word in their vocabulary. What a sad way to live.

Peace and blessings,
Mandy
Mandy

Unread postby Literarylioness » Fri Jul 17, 2009 1:42 pm

Mandy wrote:For now I will continue with my independent studies and magical work. I just ordered some new books to read: Jeffrey E. Anderson's "Conjure In African American Society",

That is a GREAT book by my buddy Jeff. I am actually in it. Jeff interviewed me for that book. I am Mary Traversi in there.

Mary
Literarylioness

Unread postby Mandy » Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:52 am

I can't wait to get it! It looks like it will be a very good read. Thanks, Mary :P
Mandy

My thoughts on the course

Unread postby phoenixrayne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:11 pm

I have been wanting to take the Hoodoo rootwork course for a couple of years now. Unfortunately, it has not been in the cards quit yet. I am not a "known customer" at this point and money has been an issue.

Although the idea of paying money to become an established enough customer frustrated me in the beginning, I have decided to recruit help from the spirits in this matter. I have ordered several oils - Crown of Success as well as some money drawing oils. It is my intent to use these to petition spiritual help in this matter. It has always been my belief that if something were meant to be - AND you were doing your "homework" - then the universe would find a way.

Regardless, I have decided - why not work a spell to aid me in this? In my past traditions I have been held back from a lot of magickal working simply by feeling guilt about doing any magickal working for myself. I am coming around and deciding this paradigm is not in my best interest and may in fact, be holding me back.

In the last few orders I have made to Lucky Mojo (which were about 6 months ago) an "advertisement" flyer for the class was included with the order. I kept this flyer for months but it has been lost over time. Does anyone know if they still include this in a standard order? I would like to use it as part of my spellwork considering the spell itself will be directed at helping me find the way and the means into the class.
phoenixrayne

Re: My thoughts on the course

Unread postby Turnsteel » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:51 pm

Yeah they do, I got it with my last order.
Turnsteel

Re: My thoughts on the course

Unread postby phoenixrayne » Tue Aug 11, 2009 4:53 pm

Excellent!
phoenixrayne

HRCC

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:15 pm

I would like to know if there is space available for new students interested in taking the HRCC course. Thanks in advance.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Re: HRCC

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Sun Aug 16, 2009 5:40 pm

Yes, i add new students continually, since the course is taught via a book. Please read the course description at all of these pages

http://luckymojo.com/mojocourse.html
http://luckymojo.com/curriculum.html
http://www.luckymojo.com/culturalimmersion.html

Thanks.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby jwmcclin » Sun Aug 16, 2009 6:25 pm

Thanks for responding Cat. I have read each of these...I will be contacting you tomorrow.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread postby geolondon » Mon Aug 17, 2009 1:33 pm

Hi there,

I'm an English ecclectic pagan, and I seem to keep gravitating towards learning hoodoo. Obviously it has no bearing geographically, but I feel it reads to be very similar to practices I already keep within my incense and poppet creations.
I am curious/nervous about working without a circle, and I am also unsure about working with Christian Saints as it seems to be so far from the natural energies I love. Having said this, having read everything I can of Catherine's online,I feel it seems a natural step for me, and I'm ready to purchase some books to see if Hoodoo really is calling to me.

Does anyone have any guidance on working with energies that are so far from your homeland (although I do believe we are all part of a larger energy, and therefore part of an ecclectic brother(or sister)hood)?

I am also curious in amalgamating some of the practices I currenlty use with some of the powders and incenses associated with Hoodoo (such as the LM powders etc) does anyone have any experience with this?

Many Thanks for your help and time.

Blessed be
Scarlet Tides
geolondon

Unread postby jwmcclin » Mon Aug 17, 2009 4:17 pm

I called twice today Cat. I talked with Angela before 5pm Pacific. I called again and was informed to call you tomorrow between 9-5pm. Do I need to leave a number for you to call when you are available? Thanks in advance for your time.
jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

I wish to take Cat's course

Unread postby preppieroots » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:44 pm

Hi,

I am strongly drawn to take Cat's on line course. I have read all about it and am quite comfortable with all of the homework descriptions she has supplied us with.... I have already bought graveyard dirt, a few times over...which I would suppose is one of the more uncomfortable aspects of this course. I am caucasian but have family members through blood and marriage who are African American, so that assignment will be easy for me as well.

I am and have been interested in magic, folk ways and Vodou for many years now. I found Cat's websites back in 06 while starting some major court case work, and made some items myself from the information Cat so generously supplied. I started to really follow a magical path back in 1996, and have been reading and learning about many systems ever since. My library ranges from light witchcraft, (ie Cunningham) to some Chaos magic (Book of Results, Disinformation Society books...) all the way to an English translation of the Sefer Ha Razim, a very hard book to get a hold of these days. I mean it when I say I adore reading and learning as well as practicing magic/folkways ...it is an activity that makes my heart sing. (as corny as that may sound, it is the only way I can describe how this all makes me feel)

I am not really sure if I am going to try to become a professional root worker/conjurer at this point, but I know for sure that I want to learn more and that this course is the best way for me to do so. I have done work for friends as well as family members, and I have seen some very positive results, as well as some fizzling nothingness happen! (I try to remain humble and admit to my own failings even when I know I am able to get some stuff done) I agree that this form of folk way needs to be shared and passed on, so as to keep it alive. It is such a beautiful way. I will only make my decision to be a professional root worker after I have finished this course.

On a mundane level, I am a very earnest student and absolutely finish what I have started. (may be due to my Mars, in first house in Aries? or possibly an inherited trait <shrugs>)

So, Dear Cat, I please wish to take this course of yours, and I mean it when I say I will be a good student for you and for me. I will call the store again regarding this, and hopefully will have a chance to speak with you. But I thought I should write a post here, stating my intentions and a bit about why I think I can be a good Hoodoo student under your tutelage.

Thank you very much for taking the time to read this and for all that you have already done and given to us all.

xoxo
PR
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1530
preppieroots

Re: I wish to take Cat's course

Unread postby Miss Bri » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:06 pm

Hi PR,

First off, I applaud you on your desire to take the course, it is a WONDERFUL opportunity to learn about traditional rootwork from a living master. Secondly, I think that right now you need to be a customer in good standing with Lucky Mojo to take the course. You might want to give the shop a call and get all the details on it.

good luck to you,
Bri
Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Re: I wish to take Cat's course

Unread postby preppieroots » Thu Aug 27, 2009 3:29 pm

Thank you Bri, for explaining this and for your reply. I am going to call the store, after I have ordered a couple more things from Cat.

I am super excited about this course. I can barely contain myself!! :shock: :mrgreen:

PS thanks also for the applause. :D
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1530
preppieroots

Unread postby Avatar » Fri Aug 28, 2009 2:24 pm

I would like to take the course. However, I've been advised that I don't have "the gift" to do magic. I'd like to acquire the gift so I can do the course, and my own spellwork. How do I acquire the gift?

Thanks.

Eager to learn Cat's Way

Unread postby Miss Kerry » Sat Aug 29, 2009 7:24 am

Hi, I was wondering how long it would be, before I would be considered elligable to undertake Cat's Course.

I am eager to start learning with Cat, and though i've purchased a few books on Hoodoo over the last few months, (one being Cat's own book, which is my hoodoo bible) and gathered various roots, herbs etc from its contents. I don't want to be influenced by other sources, I want to learn Cat's way. I've only placed one order so far with yourselves, is there a specific time period one has to wait before acceptance on the course is granted.

Like I say i'm eager to start proper tuition on Hoodoo and as far as I can tell and by mass recommendation, Cat's is the best and only way to be taught correctly in hoodoo to then become a genuine practitioner.

Blessings

Kerry
2010 Course Graduate #1548
Miss Kerry

Unread postby Mama Micki » Sat Aug 29, 2009 6:46 pm

It depends on who told you that you "don't have the gift." It could be someone who is jealous or doesn't want you to have any power to help yourself. Try it for yourself and see what results you get.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store
Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread postby rjwcim » Sat Aug 29, 2009 8:06 pm

cleopatra wrote:It depends on who told you that you "don't have the gift." It could be someone who is jealous or doesn't want you to have any power to help yourself. Try it for yourself and see what results you get.

I have to agree with Cleopatra you wont know what your capable of until you've tried out a few spells and see for yourself.
rjwcim

Next

• Advertisement
Association of Independent Readers & Rootworkers

Return to Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program