Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Apology to Cat for Refusal to Graduate from the HRCC

How to take cat's Correspondence Course, plus news about Lucky Mojo Curio Co. Workshops, Apprenticeships, and Parties.
Ruth

Apology to Cat for Refusal to Graduate from the HRCC

Unread post by Ruth » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:24 am

Dear Cat,

I am posting this because I don't think you will receive this message any other way. A few years ago I enrolled in your Hoodoo course with the intention of not doing the homework or graduating. I did not do this secretively and did not mean any harm by it. However, when you found out you were very upset. I didn't understand why at the time and I was rude in my response to you. I now understand why this was offensive to you and I want to apologize for my behavior. I hope you will accept my apology, but if not, I understand and want you to know I appreciate everything I have learned from your writings and using your products.

Sincerely,
Ruth.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Apology to Cat

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 08, 2010 11:48 am

I have learned a lot from you too.

I have learned to never again accept a student who is not committed to graduating from the course.

Because of you, i now personally interview each prospective student by phone or in person and require their spoken consent to an agreement that they will try to turn in their homework and graduate from the course.

Because of you and others like you, i have progressed to the point that i now actually FAIL students who do not turn in any homework after 5 years, so that they may not fraudulently use my name in advertising their services to the public.
catherine yronwode

Ruth

Unread post by Ruth » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:58 pm

I completely understand. Again, thank you for the work you do.

Ruth.

Ruth

Unread post by Ruth » Tue Mar 09, 2010 6:37 pm

catherineyronwode wrote:Because of you and others like you, i have progressed to the point that i now actually FAIL students who do not turn in any homework after 5 years, so that they may not fraudulently use my name in advertising their services to the public.

I just need to say here, for the record, that I have never used your name to advertise. Actually, I don't advertise at all because I don't sell services. I do rootwork for myself and my family. That's all. I'm not in the business nor trying to be in the business. I completely understand your anger towards me and I accept that you do not forgive me, but I am not trying to defraud anyone. I was just trying to learn more for my own benefit and the benefit of my immediate loved ones.

Sincerely and respectfully,

Ruth.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Wed Mar 10, 2010 12:33 am

I understand that you don't advertise using my name. What i meant, and perhaps i should have said it more clearly, was that through our interactions i saw that i had left a gaping hole in my teaching plan -- that i was accepting students who had no interest in completing the work. Prior to you, others had enrolled but did not complete the course and some of them had used my name to advertise their services, but i had always assumed they were just over-eager to sell themselves and that they would graduate "some day."

Your interactions with me -- for you were the first to make it explicately clear that it was your intention to never complete the course -- led me to realize that these others too had enrolled with a similar plan of non-completion, although an actually nefarious one, which yours was not.

I forgive easily enough when i feel like it, but see nothing to forgive here. Your rudeness? Okay, i forgive your rudeness.

Am i angry? Probably not. I feel pissed off. That's less severe than anger, i believe.

I feel that as a faux-student you engaged me then -- and continue to engage me -- in a way that preys upon my innate social courtesy and my extensive offerings of time and attention to those who seek my help, but does not reward my own emotional needs for completion and mutual congratulation. The relationship feels parasitic to me.

You're nothing unique in this regard, of course, but by enrolling as a student you came closer to me than the average online contact does, and thus i had more emotional energy invested in our forging a bond of some sort than i would have if you had approached me through this forum and asked for a couple of tips on casting spells. And in the end, as i mentioned before, because of your articulate statements regarding your intention to never turn in homework or complete the course, i was motivated to take the necessary steps to rectify the oversight that led to our contratemps.

So let's move on ... hopefully along diverging paths.
catherine yronwode

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Apology to Cat for Refusal to Graduate from the HRCC

Unread post by Mama Micki » Fri Jun 22, 2012 6:42 am

Why anyone would do this is beyond me. The assignments were enjoyable and not difficult.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sun Jun 24, 2012 5:12 pm

Life and unexpected situations happen Mama Micki. cat is right to personally interview each person and confirm that they intend to graduate. She has put a lot of work into the course and passing on information to those interested. But I was so motivated, I just breezed through the course. A lot of the information was second nature for me. A lot was new, I literally couldn't put the book down for more than a year.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Tammie Lee » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:46 am

I agree Jwmcclin.

I feel the same way and studied the same way and signed up for The Course on Halloween-- and by the next May was on a plane to Forestville for the Apprenticeships. ( 6 months). My Goal is now to get back to California to complete the Apprenticeships by this August. (the third one)

I believe in finishing what I start. That's me. I am also very determined and driven. l have been at points in my life where this might not have been possible, and I do understand that life happens, health happens and financial things happen and family happens.

Great point made JWmcclin!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jun 25, 2012 9:32 am

I understand that unexpected events come up, but Ruth stated that she originally had no intention of finishing the course or turning in homework. I finished the course in less than six months.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

ozmalicious

Unread post by ozmalicious » Mon Jun 10, 2013 10:04 pm

I personally can't wait to enroll in this course (when my housing and financial situation gets stable again, which I hope to be very soon), it feels so right to me, and the lengths Miss Cat seems to go to make sure her work is not in vain, and that the reputation of her course, the work, the practice and her shop is upheld is completely commendable. I have taken courses in other magic traditions before, with teachers who showed a lackluster passion, and passed those just to get money and grow their "family" of followers. It was very disheartening as I try to take my practice and art very serious. (Oh, and I'm completely not trying to kiss butt here,lol.)

I am completely dumbfounded as to why anyone would sign up, pay the money, and put time into something they fully had no intention of completing. It's like taking weeks to plant and arrange a garden and then never watering it. It boggles my mind...

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sun Jun 16, 2013 8:07 am

ozmalicious: Some people just seem to be "book hunters." They want the book and then they jet. Too bad, but definitely makes the interview process that much more valuable. Most of these people do not want any kind of teaching, thus they "spare" themselves the important learning experience that could be had.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

Gabriela10

Unread post by Gabriela10 » Wed Jun 19, 2013 10:40 pm

I totally understand Miss Cat's position. I am a teacher, and it is so frustrated to put all your energy in preparing lessons and do whatever it takes to make students understand and enjoy the material, and after that, see that some of them just don't care, and never finish the course or do their homework. Personally, I can't wait to start Miss Cat course, just by reading the lucky Mojo website, I can see how dedicate she is. I already booked my interview with her, and I already have plans about some of my homework. Doing the homework and present it, it's part of the learning process. Too bad that some people cannot appreciate that.

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sat Jun 22, 2013 5:27 am

Gabriela10: Good luck on your interview. The Correspondence Course is well worth taking.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

greeneyes2

Unread post by greeneyes2 » Sat Nov 02, 2013 6:42 am

I personally can not see the reason or excuses why anyone who loves Hoodoo and Helping situations would Refuse to Graduate..
I plan on interviewing myself very soon..

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Sat Nov 02, 2013 12:28 pm

Greeneyes2, I wish you good luck in the course interview.

Miss Michaele
Forum Moderator - Member of AIRR

Ruth

Unread post by Ruth » Tue Dec 23, 2014 11:27 am

While I originally signed up not intending to graduate, I did end up completing the course and graduated this year. I was never a "book hunter" or unappreciative of the work Cat put into her course. I had tried my hand at Hoodoo years before with no real instruction and had success. I enrolled in the course to learn more, but between a very scary divorce, physical illness and small children, I knew I would not have the time or energy to do homework. Most days I barely survived my daily routine.

Life is much different for me now (in part to a great deal of Hoodoo that I learned from Miss Cat) and last year I decided to officially complete my course. I'm very glad I did. And, while I don't expect anyone to understand where I was at emotionally and physically when I originally enrolled in the course, I just wanted to add this update to this thread.

Ruth

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Tue Dec 23, 2014 10:11 pm

Congratulations Ruth! I am also a late graduate of the course (about a decade I think!) so you are not alone. I am pretty sure Miss Cat is happy to have you graduate no matter how long it took!

Peace~

Nathen

Ruth

Unread post by Ruth » Wed Dec 24, 2014 7:11 pm

Thank you, Nathen. :)

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Dec 26, 2014 5:57 pm

Thank you, Ruth! I feel so much better now -- i mean that from my heart. Now we can call one another colleagues and fellow-travellers of the road. THANK YOU.
catherine yronwode

Crystal-Silence-League-Link

Return to “Catherine's Correspondence Course and Apprenticeship Program”