Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Spell Timing: Time of Day or Night, Clock Time

DNA

Spell Timing: Time of Day or Night, Clock Time

Unread post by DNA » Sat Feb 28, 2009 9:14 pm

Is it true that only bad work is done after 12:00 midnight? Or can you do good work like money drawing etc after 12:00am? Does the time on the clock really matter when you know what your intentions are and can visualize the manifestation of your work. I know the importance of working with the moon. But as far as clock time. I have always found this confusing. In my case it is not always the optimum time 11:30 (private & silent) before 12:00.

Literarylioness

Re: Spell Timing: Time of Day or Night, Clock Time

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sat Feb 28, 2009 11:50 pm

I work when I need to work. I do light my candles with the rising clock, eg 11:34 going up to bring things to me and the falling clock to get rid of stuff.

Mary

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Spell Timing: Time of Day or Night, Clock Time

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 01, 2009 12:29 am

DNA, there is a lot of folklore giving ideas about different times.

For instance, i was taught that if you are working for a new lover to appear in your life, it is best to get up and work as the Sun rises, "so that your new man will come to you as the Sun rises, work hard for you all day long, and bring you all his pay at night" (likening him to the Sun), and that it is a bad idea to work for a new lover as the the Sun sets or by night or under Moon light, "because you'll get a man who will Tom Cat around all night."

Conjure is a complex form of folklore, not a set of rules and regulations. You will find many variations, but each practitioner who tells you a particular way of working will give a reason for it that is SYMBOLIC and not merely convenient. In other words, your idea of 11:30 p.m. being "private and silent" is an individualistic preference that is driven by your personal ego, hence it shows no sign of being cultural, symbolic, or folkloric in origin.

One of the most notable differences between the folkloric and folk magical styles of any culture, and more recently originated, urban, systems of magic thought (including magical styles such as chaos magic or visualization magic), is that the former are built upon symbolic associations with the natural world (like Sun / Day / Working / Fidelity versus Moon / Night / Partying / Infidelity, in the example above), while the latter are almost always derived from notions of individual self-satisfaction and convenience and tend to discount or obviate any relationship to the natural world or its rhythms.

That is not to say that down-home conjure doctors all believe that modern urban chaos magic, visualization magic, or personal preferences must be stomped out in favour of old-time conjure traditions -- but it does help explain why those of us who work in traditional and culturally rich forms of folk magic tend to repeatedly ask our students, clients, and customers to respect the cultural contexts and the natural symbolisms that inform our ways of working.
catherine yronwode

Haris

Re: Importance of the Time of Day While Doing Work?

Unread post by Haris » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:39 pm

hi, if you have read "the key of solomon" whics is one of the most excellent book and very famous you will see that solomon gives certain hours about what you want to do. it has a system that i tryed to learn it as far as the hours concernes, and solomon gives a warning that if you want to do a spell you have to find the appropriate hour because if you don't the results may be not pleasunt for the magician.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Mar 15, 2009 8:45 pm

Hello, Haris,

Solomonic magic is a Judeo-Christian system of working that has geatly influnced European and Euro-American magical culture and beliefs. However, while th seals of Solomon are occasionaly met with in hoodoo pactice, the Solomonic belief-system is not a part of rootwork or hoodoo practice in general.

Our work at Lucky Mojo, while friendly to and supportive of all forms of magic, from Kabbalistic, Solomonic, and Hermetic to Neo-Pagan, Kemetic, and Shamanic -- and then some -- is practiced within a specific tradition, namely, Afican American hoodoo, conjure, and rootwork. This forum is for the discussion of Lucky Mojo poducts, in order to help our clients and customers to better understand and more easily work with the paraphrenalia, curios, and spiritual supplies used in the hoodoo tradition.
catherine yronwode

crossroads

Timing

Unread post by crossroads » Thu Apr 30, 2009 2:52 pm

Many spells are best performed during a specific time of day—often just before sunrise, at sunset, or what have you. The timing of these spells makes sense for people who live a rural life, especially farmers, homesteaders, or what have you. But many of us in today’s urban world have jobs that require us to be at work or otherwise keeps us occupied during these hours.

My questions is whether there is some sort of “rule of thumb” timetable one could reference to adjust our spellcasting time(s) accordingly?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Timing

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:32 pm

This question is one i often am asked -- and the folks who ask it do not tend to like my answer.

Did you know that i am one of the founders of Y.I.P.P.I.E. -- the Yronwode Institution for the Preservation and Popularization of Indigenous Ethnomagicology? Well, if you didn't, now you do.

So, let's imagine this was a forum devoted to the study European folk magic, and we were discussing a spell that was traditionally timed to only be cast on May 1st. Hey, in fact, i can tell you such a spell, in time for tomorrow!

If you got out at dawn on May Day (May 1st) and wash your face with dew that you collect off the grass before the sun shines on it, your complexion will be beautified.

That's a real oldie, from England and other parts of Europe. Timing: Dawn on May Day only.

Okay, so say this was a forum about European folk magic, and you wrote. "The timing of these spells makes sense for people who live a rural life, especially farmers, homesteaders, or what have you. But many of us in today’s urban world have jobs that require us to be at work or otherwise keeps us occupied during these hours."

And say you asked if it was okay to do that May Day spell at 3:00 PM on your next Saturday off from work.

You know what i'd tell you? I'd tell you, "If European folk magic is not your thing, and you don't want to collect May dew on May Day at dawn because it's just too inconvenient for you, then don't practice European folk magic."

In other words, this forum is not a good place to come and try to talk me out of my life-long dedication to traditional African American folk magic or the folk magic of other cultures.

Folk magic is not a role playing game session where you can assemble a bunch of friends and vote on changing the rules.

If folk magic is not for you, just look for something else that suits you.

Straight up. That's the way it is.
catherine yronwode

Miss Cin

Unread post by Miss Cin » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:41 pm

Hello Ms. Cat,
that sounds like a wonderful thing to do if you were serious. if not than, you got me! lol but if you were serious how much dew do you need and do you rinse it off and can you do your whole body? I need all the help I can get.

Thanks Ms. Cin

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Thu Apr 30, 2009 4:45 pm

If a spell calls for you to wake up a certain time of day such as before dawn, and you cant do this because you are at work then fine. You cant do that spell. But if you are just too lazy to wake up, then that just shows how dedicated you are to the outcome and your spellwork. Sometimes things need to be sacrificed in order to get what you want.

I would try to work with at least the proper timing of the moon (some people even work with the sun) and/or the day of the week. But if the need is urgent then you can do it on any day, and any time of the moon. Just know these things help your outcome of the spell. If a spell requires you to work during a Mars hour, a mars hour occurs during several times of the day.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

crossroads

Unread post by crossroads » Fri May 01, 2009 2:24 pm

I can accept that a given spell will not work (or at least won't work as efficiently) the the proper timing is not there. I'm not looking for a easy or lazy way to sneak one past the powers that be or what have you, though. Perhaps a better way to articulate my question...

I purchased a LM spell kit (John the Conqueror). The instructions are very clear about the spell being worked "before dawn". Unless I'm misinterpreting, I would take this as being around 0500. This spell requires 9 days of availability and 'doing stuff' at this hour. I work from 0300 until noon-ish (depends on when my work gets done).

Could I get up at 0200 and perform the required actions? This doesn't sound to me like "before dawn", but more like "after midnight".

Am I over-complicating this? :ugeek: Should I be looking into a different spell that promises similar results?

SouthernGirl

Timing

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Sun May 31, 2009 5:07 am

Okay, if this has been covered, please let me know. I didn't find it with a cursory glance. Sometimes, I am able to start/do work at night. But other times, daytime is the only time I am able. Does it matter to a large extent? I mean, for instance, today, my kids are asleep, my husband is at work, so it's quiet. This will be my only "me" time. Would starting some work be worth doing now or should I wait until I have an evening to myself to start? I know for certain things, such as disposing of bath water, the rising sun is the time to do it. But what about things such as honey jars, lighting candles and stuff?

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Sun May 31, 2009 5:39 pm

Depends what you are doing. But if you can only do things during the day time, and thats the only time you can concentrate...then dont fret. Timing is not EVERYTHING. Perhaps, you can use the correct day of the week, or the moon phase. A honey jar is okay to do during the day time, actually anything is okay to do. Just use one form of the timing system such as working with the moon, sun or the day of the week. You should be fine.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sun May 31, 2009 6:04 pm

I'm in the same situation. The only quiet time I have is during the day when my husband is at work and my kids are at school. I use the moon phases and days of the week for timing. I usually burn a small candle every day in the appropriate color for the day of the week in addition to any spell I might be doing.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!
Lucky Mojo products available at my eBay store

Literarylioness

Unread post by Literarylioness » Sun May 31, 2009 6:13 pm

SouthernGirl wrote:Okay, if this has been covered, please let me know. I didn't find it with a cursory glance. Sometimes, I am able to start/do work at night. But other times, daytime is the only time I am able. Does it matter to a large extent? I mean, for instance, today, my kids are asleep, my husband is at work, so it's quiet. This will be my only "me" time. Would starting some work be worth doing now or should I wait until I have an evening to myself to start? I know for certain things, such as disposing of bath water, the rising sun is the time to do it. But what about things such as honey jars, lighting candles and stuff?

In my experience, it depends on what you are working on. If it is to bring a new lover or money, the best time is just before sunrise. As the sun rises, so too shall your fortunes. To get rid of stuff is just after sunset. If it is to get communication or healing work done, that is best left late into the night when the target is a sleep. What is the most important is consistency. If you have a seven day spell, do it consistently for seven days.

That's how I work.

Mary

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:44 am

Thank you all so much for your replies. My schedule changes. Sometimes I have time at night, sometimes - more often - during the day. I'll plan accordingly.

Thanks again!

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Jun 01, 2009 10:57 am

One daytime spell that has worked for me is for a job interview. Do this right before leaving the house. Put on your interview clothes and dress a green candle with your favorite money, success, or luck oil. Light the candle and burn your favorite money incense. If possible leave the candle burning (safely!), and go to the interview.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:08 pm

Thanks Cleopatra. I have been doing some basic protection and money spells during the day. Keep a blue, dressed candle for home tranquility going. Not that it's intranquil here, but maybe that's why :) Those I usually start day or night and leave them going in a glass where they go for days.

Funny you mention a daytime job interview spell. Have been wanting/needing to earn extra cash and put in for a temporary/agency job. Got through most all of the hiring process and haven't heard anything. Even called a few times and there seemed to be confusion as to what stage of the hiring process I was in.

Sooooo... Two days ago, I did a money spell with green candles, three to be exact. Started them all at the same time, dressed the same way, etc. My little stones set out, whole dressed nutmeg. All prayed over. Well, one burned really much faster than the others, had "tears" running down the side and left a nasty little pile of wax. The second one, no tears, but a small mess. The third one burned out next and lasted a substantially longer period of time. No mess, burned clean. I was sort of hoping that was a sign that a good progression was happening, but was a bit concerned that I started it during the day and maybe messed it up.

This morning I get a call, they don't know why they haven't gotten me in sooner, all my hire process is complete and they want to know when I'm available to start orienting at different places in the next week or two so they can start sending me out for shifts. AWESOME! Had planned to continue money work tonight. Will change which spells I'm doing, but going to stay steady with it. So, in this instance, I don't think daytime hurt at all. Maybe I'll do one tonight and another in the morning, just in case :)

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:43 am

SouthernGirl wrote:Okay, if this has been covered, please let me know. I didn't find it with a cursory glance. Sometimes, I am able to start/do work at night. But other times, daytime is the only time I am able. Does it matter to a large extent? I mean, for instance, today, my kids are asleep, my husband is at work, so it's quiet. This will be my only "me" time. Would starting some work be worth doing now or should I wait until I have an evening to myself to start? I know for certain things, such as disposing of bath water, the rising sun is the time to do it. But what about things such as honey jars, lighting candles and stuff?

Hi SouthernGirl,
I do all kinds of work during the day and especially in the morning, many workers do.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:37 am

Thanks Bri,

I have really odd hours and up to now have done the majority of my work at night. 'Course, I'm pretty new and it's limited what I have been doing. So, it felt odd starting in the day. Good to know that either is fine. Will definitely open me up to doing more work.

Desmes

nights

Unread post by Desmes » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:11 pm

Hey All,
In my culture we call nights before days. I mean nights comes before days. For example today is monday and tonight will be tuesday night. I dont know is that same every culture And starting for love spell they say friday night is good . Is that mean thursday s night or friday s night? I hope i was clear.
Thank you.

Turnsteel

Re: nights

Unread post by Turnsteel » Mon Sep 07, 2009 7:24 pm

It means the night of Friday as in the time when the sun sets after Friday morning.

Kingdom1336

BEST TIME?!

Unread post by Kingdom1336 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 7:33 am

:? What would be the best time to do spells in general? I would like to do spells in the daytime, because that’s when I have the house to myself. (I live with parents) But I heard spells only work best at night.
The spells I want to do is --forgiveness, call me, and cleanse Yourself spell.--

NotDorianGray

Re: BEST TIME?!

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:15 am

The best time is whenever you have the time, energy and privacy that you need. There is often an 'ideal' or 'better' time in which to perform a spell, but if you can't work at a certain time, then you can't. The best time to do a spell is when you need to do it, and when you can get it done. Working at the most ideal time is a luxury to a lot of people. I'm lucky, I live alone. I can do work whenever I want to. But if the best time of the day is sunrise and I've had really bad insomnia, I won't be doing that spell then. I'll be doing it at a time when I have more energy and can really focus on what I'm doing. You have the privacy you need during the day, and that's when you want to work, so do it then. If you want to add extra oomph, you can look into planetray hours or performing specific work on specific days of the week. However, practicality comes first.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:40 am

Many workers like to work at night because most people are asleep and their defenses are down. However, I do most of my work during the day when my husband is at work and the kids are at school. The house is quiet and I can concentrate.

There are many things you can do to enhance spells; timing is one of them. But the most important ingredient is you.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Kingdom1336

Unread post by Kingdom1336 » Mon Sep 28, 2009 8:42 am

Thanks. :)

heartk0re

what does "half night" mean?.. (serious question)

Unread post by heartk0re » Mon Nov 02, 2009 12:56 pm

this was in a spell: "Look at this charm by the light of your lamp for one hour each night after it is the half night."

does that mean half moon or something?

and then it says: Look at your fingers which you must hold before you, while you repeat: "77-77-77-77- ANANANAN -
KAKAKAKAKAK."

do i just say the 77's quickly in pairs? like 77 1 second pause, etc.

how should i say/pronounce that? "ahhn" or "ann" like the name ann? and how pronounce kak like how it rhymes with knack? or "cock" like "cock your head to the right". lol SERIOUS question. :/

(this spells is to gain submission from men from The Book of Power by Idries Shah.)

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: what does "half night" mean?.. (serious question)

Unread post by Mama Micki » Mon Nov 02, 2009 1:39 pm

This post does not appear to pertain to either traditional Hoodoo practices nor Lucky Mojo products.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Nov 03, 2009 4:32 am

Seriously? It means find a spell you can actually understand.

Seeing as this is a forum dedicated to Lucky Mojo's products and resources... Why not check out the catalogue and have a look at Follow Me Boy, Compelling and other such products? There are plenty of spells in hoodoo that will help you be dominant over men, and none of them require you to repeat the word 'cock' ad nauseum.

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mama Micki » Tue Nov 03, 2009 1:15 pm

It sounds like the song "Movin Out" by Billy Joel.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

NotDorianGray

Unread post by NotDorianGray » Tue Nov 03, 2009 7:21 pm

You're right, it does!

cabriellenil

Unread post by cabriellenil » Wed Nov 04, 2009 5:08 am

LOL, you guys are funny! And yes, I can't understand the original post at all.

StExpedite

Unread post by StExpedite » Thu Nov 05, 2009 6:32 pm

Half night means, that it is half time before the dawn. So if in your area sunrise begins at 6 a.m. for example, then you have to divide time from the beginning of the night before the 6 a.m. If night should be considered start at 12 a.m., then half night would be at 3 a.m.

But it probably too long to chant that spell. Although for determined mind, nothing is too long. Maybe you also buy product, like Bend over or some other dominating products. People here referring to Santa Marta as being a great help in that situation.

NSU

Question about time

Unread post by NSU » Sat Nov 14, 2009 6:59 pm

Every night I wake up between 3 and 3:30 am. Can that be significant spiritually???

Mother Mystic
Forum Moderator
Re: Question about time

Unread post by Mother Mystic » Sun Nov 15, 2009 8:37 am

There are some sources that indicate that is the hour of the Spirits. Are you purposely being open or receptive to spirit visitation?

NSU

Unread post by NSU » Mon Nov 16, 2009 6:40 am

not purposely- I have always had this issue as long as I remember

Guided09

Unread post by Guided09 » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:11 am

Hello!

Mother Mystic wrote: Are you purposely being open or receptive to spirit visitation?

Exactly what does it mean to be open or receptive to spirit visitation?

Shery

Daylight Savings Time?

Unread post by Shery » Thu Nov 19, 2009 2:46 pm

Hello all Hoodooers Out There, hoping you can help me; I'm trying to do the Crossroads Spell as explained in the LM's Spells and Rituals. The problem is that I live in Eastern Time zone and we participate in the daylight Savings time, which was changed recently.

So...since I have to be at the Crossroads at exactly 12:00midnight, should I follow the old time (we went back one hour) or stay with the new time. (by the old time at 12:00 it will be 1:00AM) :?
Please explain what would you do if you are caught up in the same situation? I mean about daylight savings hours? :) Thanks so very much.
Shery

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: Daylight Savings Time?

Unread post by Mama Micki » Thu Nov 19, 2009 3:06 pm

Go by what the clock says.
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

Mother Mystic
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Mother Mystic » Mon Nov 23, 2009 5:57 am

Some people leave a bowl of water on their bedside to attract spirit visitation. I add a few drops of Florida water to mine to attract beneficial spirits. You can also burn LM Spirit Guide incense in the room or anoint a candle with LM Spirit Guide oil to attract a spirit. Working with spirits is one of the foundations of Hoodoo.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:47 am

This is interesting. I have been waking up during the same hours. I always have a glass of drinking water on my night stand for drinking... never thought of it until reading this forum...interesting.
I am proud to be a Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator

GoddessMojo

Unread post by GoddessMojo » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:39 am

This is not hoodoo related per se, but I have read in several sources that studies show we can be most psychic around the hours of 13:30 sidereal time; many reasons are speculated- one is that this is due to geomagnetic like forces emanating from dark matter in a region of the sky known as the "Great Attractor" which is low in the sky beneath Virgo at this time, possibly pulling on the Milky Way and it's inhabitants.

A google search with the words "psychic activity sidereal time" would bring them up, and one for "multi-real time display clock calculator" will bring you to a clock to track sidereal time, local and universal.

I have also heard this speculated to be one reason so many of 'us' - those of us open to psychic and spirit activity- wake around this hour, and/or have been increasingly waking up during the same hours due to worldwide increases in psychic and spiritual awareness. Interesting to think about, I know I have been waking at these hours increasingly so for the last several years, but also know it could be due to many other reasons. This one just seems cooler.
Thank you Saint Martha for hearing my petition and for your ongoing good works for myself and others.

NSU

Unread post by NSU » Tue Nov 24, 2009 10:12 am

Reallly want to see what this time thing is about- It has been happening to be for many years. 3:00, 3:10 and 3:30 are the exact times that seem to awake me

UKDiva

Unread post by UKDiva » Tue Nov 24, 2009 1:25 pm

NSU, this is so funny. I too wake up around 3:00am or 3:15am. I don't necessarily have any glasses of water in my room for this to occur. I don't know how true this is, but a friend once told me that the 'witching hour' was actually 3:00am not midnight. (?)

NSU

Unread post by NSU » Tue Nov 24, 2009 2:28 pm

Yep any night it doesn't happen I wake up and say what happen, that's how frequent I wake at those hours, no matter what time I goto bed

Mercurious

Unread post by Mercurious » Mon Mar 22, 2010 10:57 pm

I believe that most magico-spiritual traditions blended a little throughout the ages (but still remained unique unto themselves), especially when the "New World" was being colonized by Europeans. African slaves traded knowledge with American Indians and bits of Jewish magic and wisdom ended up flavoring Hoodoo a bit, such as the Seals of Solomon. I'm not sure if any root workers gave any attention to the planetary designations of the days of the week and each hour of the day, but that is an old practice that was started in the astrological religion of Chaldea and became popular folklore in Europe. Essentially, each day is ruled by a planet and is named after a Norse/Germanic god, (Sunday=Sun, Monday=Moon, Tuesday=Tyr/Mars, Wednesday=Woden/Mercury, Thursday=Thor/Jupiter, Friday=Freya/Venus, Saturday=Saturn). Every day at sunrise the planetary hours would begin with the planet of that day. For example, on Tuesday at sunrise the hour would be ruled by Mars, the second hour by Mercury, and so on and so forth.

Hoodoo workings can be done on specific days during specific hours for good results (Friday, ruled by Venus, is good for Love and Prosperity). However, Hoodoo, unlike European magic, doesn't need all that extra stuff. It's basic, down and dirty. A root here, a leaf there, a candle, You and Your power. That's the beauty of Hoodoo, why I'm attracted to it at least. I don't think that planetary hours were popular practices in the South among root-workers, probably more utilized by those of European ancestry. But Lucky Mojo does carry planetary curios, so I believe that it is still a beneficial practice, although somewhat arbitrary and antiquated (I have yet to discover the true reasoning behind designating the way the days and hours are). It's interesting to note that old farmers paid close attention to astrology and planted their crops in accordance with the phases of the moon and the positioning of the sun and stars, including the planets.

I hope I helped a little. Search online for "Planetary hours" to read more about the days and hours and how they are used. Good Luck!

chy clayton s

Unread post by chy clayton s » Tue Mar 23, 2010 7:07 pm

I remember asking my great grandfather (Choctaw rootworker) about one of my mother's spells that had to be done at 11:59 exactly (a lot of Romi spells are worked in the between). My g-grandfather spit tobaco and said something along the line of - "That'd be nice - if I had a watch..."

Most of the workings I learned from him were done morning, evening, night, or false dawn. Times you could tell without a watch.

His daughter (my grandmother) would say "between 4 and 5 am - when the birds wake up." Or "early evening - when the crows fly home,"

She used a lot of very specific natural time points, but I don't know if that was tradition or just a way to explain it to me and my cousins.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 23, 2010 8:53 pm

Mercurious wrote: "I'm not sure if any root workers gave any attention to the planetary designations of the days of the week."

I suggest you take my Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course or attend my "Astrology for Rootworkers" class at the annual Hoodoo Workshops in Forestville, california on May 8th and 9th, 2010. The answers you seek are there. To make it brief, though, yes, conjure practice traditionally DOES include working with the planetary designations of the days of the week.

And, really, it's a little high-and-mighty of you, who doesn't even know that simple fact, to tell us that "Hoodoo, unlike European magic, doesn't need all that extra stuff."

Hoodoo contains a lot more "stuff" than you seem to want to give it credit for.
catherine yronwode

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:04 pm

I recall a few of the informants from Hyatt mentioned old grimoires and other "handbooks" of magick like the 6th and 7th book of Moses.

Which goes to prove that conjurers were just as informed and "educated" about things like planetary associations as your next spiritual practictioner.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Mar 23, 2010 11:22 pm

That is correct, conjureman. The first full-time African American astrologer i can track down, Edward Lowe of Chicago, published his "Spiritualistic Dream Book" in the early 1920s, made and sold "Algiers Perfume" and other conjure products, and prepared horoscopes for clients, per his ads. This was at least 10 years -- probably 12-14 years -- before Harry Hyatt toured the south and interviewed rootworkers about hoodoo.
catherine yronwode

freegirl

time of day?

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 1:15 pm

So, I've been working a skull candle for a few days.

At first I burned it at night but lately I've felt compelled to burn it around sundown... this is also when MY thoughts are strongest... late afternoon.

Somehow by the time evening falls I'm much calmer.

So my question is, where time of day is concerned, am I right to go with my intuition on this one?

thelightfantastic
Re: time of day?

Unread post by thelightfantastic » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:08 pm

You're free do whatever you want actually. Some people work only at night (target's defenses tend to be down during that time) or only do certain spells when the hands of the clock are rising or falling (depending on the work) .It's really up to you. If you feel that a certain time of day works better for you mentally, work at that time of day.

Hoodoo is pretty flexible like that.
High praise to Saint Michael for his protection and guidance

freegirl

Unread post by freegirl » Sat Apr 03, 2010 2:49 pm

Thanks! That was my gut feeling, and I've seen several times the idea that you work when you have to do the work-- waning/waxing moon, time of day, day of week can be factors but if you can't wait, don't wait.

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat Apr 03, 2010 3:50 pm

That's correct freegirl.

ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread post by ConjureMan Ali » Sat Apr 03, 2010 8:50 pm

Some people feel that at certain times of the day they are stronger, more focused, their power is at its peak and as such schedule their spellcasting around that. If you feel that you're getting better milege out of doing it at sundown, go for it. You could think of the setting sun as the resistance of your target weakening and setting. Good luck.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR

barat

dawn

Unread post by barat » Sat May 01, 2010 1:24 pm

Is dawn sunrise?

Mama Micki
Forum Moderator
Re: dawn

Unread post by Mama Micki » Sat May 01, 2010 2:18 pm

Yes
Gracias, Jesus Malverde!

barat

Unread post by barat » Sat May 01, 2010 6:41 pm

Thank you cleopatra

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Sat May 01, 2010 7:01 pm

I find Google and Wikipedia to be treasure troves of information.
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

jwmcclin
Forum Moderator

Unread post by jwmcclin » Sat May 01, 2010 7:02 pm

I understand that dawn is at least 15 minutes before sunrise...but that's my understanding.

danger

Hour Hand/Minute Hand

Unread post by danger » Fri Jul 16, 2010 1:18 pm

Hello! I was told for years that when I perform a spell, make sure that I do it on the odd hours of the day/night and make sure the clock hand is going up. But, they never told me which hand to look at. If anyone know which hand is the right hand I'm supposed go by, please let me know. Thank you!

Lucky Mojo Curio Company Page at Facebook

Return to “Ask Us for Conjure Help with Spirits, Religion, Psychism, Dreams, Magic, Ethics”