Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Charcoal for Incense Burning Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo incense powders, joss sticks, and natural botanical resin incenses in your spiritual practices.
jewelzdevone

Charcoal for Incense Burning Questions and Answers

Unread post by jewelzdevone » Thu May 21, 2009 1:19 pm

I am having problems using the charcoal disks that are used to burn herbs on. When I light it, the edge will burn, but then after a short while, it will just quit burning. I can see sparks flying across the surface of the disk after I light it, but then they stop. I have tried putting just herbs on top, using resin, even put oil on it and let the flame burn a while.

What am I doing wrong? I love incense - I don't want to just have to use sticks and cones - I want to be able to make my own.

I'm sad
=(

Jewelz

SouthernGirl

Re: Light my charcoal... Please...

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 2:51 pm

Are you putting a lid on it, even a slotted one? I find that mine will die if I do. Also, after the sparks, give it a minute or two before putting anything on it. Maybe someone else has another suggestion or two?

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Thu May 21, 2009 2:53 pm

I usually have to pick mine up with a pair of tongs, then move the flame around until I have a couple of sides going. After that it's a matter of setting it in the burner and gently blowing on it to get the whole pellet glowing.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

I'd rather walk in the right direction than ride with my head up my...

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Thu May 21, 2009 3:00 pm

Hmmm... I usually light a "bottom" edge and then put that part on the bottom and wait for it to quit sparking, then after a minute or two put whatever I want to burn on it. If I try to put the cover over it it will go out. Sometimes it doesn't want to catch right away and I'll light the opposite side on the top without touching it.

Sorry I couldn't be more help. I do try to not move it and leave it alone. But then, I'm not having trouble getting it to catch as you seem to be. Wish I could offer a useful suggestion.

Miss Bri
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Bri » Thu May 21, 2009 4:44 pm

Hi Jewelz,
If you live in a relatively humid area that might contribute to the problems that you are experiencing. I used to live in a very humid environment and had similar issues with the charcoal. So, make sure it is stored in a DRY place first of all. I have has success using a little pair of tongs as Chagrinedgirl mentioned. Its also useful when trying to light charcoal to use a fireplace lighter with lighter fluid as opposed to wooden matches because sometimes you need to keep the flame on the disk for awhile before it catches.

good luck,
Bri
Miss Bri-Reader-Rootworker-Founding member of AIRR

wylde

Unread post by wylde » Fri May 22, 2009 6:32 pm

I have often had problems with this sort of product especially after its been opened a few weeks, even keeping them as dry as possible and waving of tongs has proved to be of little help here in the Houston area at least. I know others who have trouble I end up tossing about half of a packet if them just about every time, frustrating but I have come to accept it over the years. I wish you luck in it and if anyone has any good suggestions I would love to hear them, I am going to try the lighter fluid, i always figured that might somehow alter the energy or whatever but what will it hurt to try. (plus I never have any since i rarely attempt to scorch meat)

jewelzdevone

Unread post by jewelzdevone » Fri May 22, 2009 7:16 pm

I was afraid to read the replies for fear someone would say I'm totally clueless. I feel a lot better knowing I'm not just lighter-impaired. I'm going to try using tongs and lighting the sides. I was wondering if crushing it into a powder would work?

Thanks everyone!

<3
J

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Fri May 22, 2009 7:29 pm

I've used chunks that were on the bottom of the roll when I was almost out of charcoal, and they worked pretty well. As far as an actual powder, I'm not sure that would work, since what you're actually burning on is the glowing coals.

I think getting charcoal lit is an almost universal pain in the behind.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

jewelzdevone

Unread post by jewelzdevone » Fri May 22, 2009 8:32 pm

SouthernGirl,
Thanks, I feel better. To answer your question before, I did have problems with them going out when I would put the cencer lid on. I don't think that it was getting enough air underneath to keep burning. I finally found one that has good circulation potential. I don't have it yet, but I'll let you know if it helps when I do and where to get it if you are interested.

<3
Jewelz

Ginger777

Unread post by Ginger777 » Sat May 23, 2009 8:19 am

hmmm...this is interesting...for me personally, I rarely had a problem lighting the charcoal...my problem is I always smelled more of the charcoal than the incense which turns my stomach! I find that combining LM's incense and other herbs and resins work for me without using charcoal....that way I'm using their incense along with adding my own touch. Thought I would share!

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 9:44 am

Jewelz,

I find I have to pretty much leave mine uncovered while they are burning. Would love to use the lids. If you do find one that works covered, I'd love to try it out.

I live in South Louisiana - very humid. I do store my open charcoal in snack size ziplock style bags. Guess if it came down to it we could probably save those little thingies (I'm having a brain cramp) that are in medicine bottles and stuff to keep the humidity out as well. What are those called? ARRGH! That'll bug me till I remember.

Chagrinedgirl

Unread post by Chagrinedgirl » Mon May 25, 2009 11:33 am

I think they're called dessicants, suck the water out of the air. It's not that humid here, but I may have to try the Ziploc bags.
So be it
-Jason Bourne

SouthernGirl

Unread post by SouthernGirl » Mon May 25, 2009 7:12 pm

Ah, that's it. Dang that was driving me bonkers! I do find that some brands light more readily than others however. Seems the more "porous" appearing light quickly but burn out more quickly than the more compact appearing. At least in my limited experience. Good luck!

sammybones
HRCC Student

Unread post by sammybones » Fri Jun 12, 2009 10:49 pm

tongs: yes
light that joker ALL over: yes
relight it: yes
best is to take it in the tongs and light it over open flame: gas range or the like
yea, don't stick anything on it till all the saltpeter has lit all "across" the disk
store the unused/unopened charcoal in airtight something: Yes

my wife has trouble lighting them, I always find partially burnt disks/franky tears in the burner,which i salvage and finish burning in most cases...econo spritualism,lol
her body "thermostat" runs sorta cold, mine kinda hot...this may have something to do with it also, :lol:
anyway, light those jokers ALL THE WAY and let it breath first and you should be burning good.

and NO don't crush it, you'll be left with an art medium perhaps but no burn.

justaskingtoknow

Burning resins without charcoal?

Unread post by justaskingtoknow » Thu Mar 04, 2010 11:38 pm

I am planning on burning frankincense and myrrh resins tommorow throughout my house. The problem is that i have no charcoal to burn it on top of. Does anyone have any alternatives to burn them on?
thanks.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Burning resins without charcoal?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 05, 2010 1:40 am

You need either charcoal or wood coals or black coal. That is how resin incenses are burned and always have been. They won't smoulder any other way, sorry.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

sopoetic2010

Unread post by sopoetic2010 » Fri Mar 26, 2010 8:41 am

actually if you have a gas stove top, u can take aluminum foil and cover the cast iron piece that u put the pot on. poke very small holes (with a fork) turn fire on low let the aluminum get hot place your resins on top of the foil turn fire off once hot....this creates a lot less smoke than charcoal..only downside you have to check it frequently..and keep re heating from time to time

chy clayton s

Unread post by chy clayton s » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:33 am

Most aluminum foil in the US is NOT heavy enough for this to work. You run a distict risk of actually burning the foil and breathing it. Not healthy.

An old style pie tin would work better.

I have an old 1/2 cup bbq pot (cast iron) that I use to smoke resins occasionally. Undestand that you will never get the resins out of the pot or tin is you do this.

Smoking resins without charcoal really is not the same as burning resins.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:49 am

There is a reason that people have burned resin incenses on charcoal for the last 8,000 or more years, and continue to do so despite the development of technologies such as piped-in natural gas, electricity, and blow torches.

This topic was posted in the "ask for help with spell-casting" section, but it is not a request for help with casting a spell. It is a request for help with using incense, so it has been moved to the "incense" section of the forum. Please post your topics in the appropriate forum, to save time for your hard-working moderators, and to keep th forum easy to read for the rest of the community. Thank you.
catherine yronwode

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:10 am

I just have to say that you will notice the difference if you burn resins, (esp. frank, myrrh, etc) on anything other than charcoal. Anything else will not produce a proper incense release as well as ruining whatever you decide to smolder them in. This is just my opinion, but I have been burning resins for many years now and nothing even comes close to charcoal for incense. Good luck!
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

mysiclady

Charcoal

Unread post by mysiclady » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:28 pm

Hi everyone, Question? I wanted to know if I did not have any charcoal to burn my herbs or incense on is there a subsitute that I can use at this time?
Thanks, Mysiclady ;)

Katie_Did1111

Re: Charcoal

Unread post by Katie_Did1111 » Tue Apr 27, 2010 1:44 pm

mysiclady wrote:Hi everyone, Question? I wanted to know if I did not have any charcoal to burn my herbs or incense on is there a subsitute that I can use at this time?
Thanks, Mysiclady ;)

Lately I've been using the leftover metal things from tea lights (I know-- classy! Lol) for herbs and incense powders and that's working all right, but for resins it's got to be charcoal.

Edit to add: the tea light holder thing is honestly not ideal, and I hope to get one of LM's lovely braziers to replace the one my stupid ex destroyed. There are some other things I need to take care of before I can order that, but if you can get one now without having to make do with crappy little tin bits, order it!

~K

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Wed Apr 28, 2010 2:45 pm

My wife and I collect cool bowl type rocks and burn our self lighting/burning incense from LM directly on those. Just make sure to empty all spent incense after use so they don't blow around and make a mess. Resins are trickier and require charcoal to burn properly and for you to get the most out of them. Good luck!
Joseph Magnuson

cognitivedissonance
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by cognitivedissonance » Wed Sep 15, 2010 1:39 am

You can burn incense in any ceramic bowl, if you line it with sand.

Another weird thing to burn incense in? Wall hanging holy water fonts. Just make sure it's a ceramic one and line i with sand. I have a Virgin Mary shaped one that's *divine*.

Plus LM has some awesome ones in the occult supplies section... the brass dog footed ones are awesome.
HRCC Student #2174G

Fixerkitty
Re: Charcoal for Incense Burning Questions and Answers

Unread post by Fixerkitty » Sat May 05, 2012 11:31 pm

I will fan self-lighting charcoal with a feather fan to get it to burn evenly. I don't put any incense on top until there's a nice thin layer of ash all along the top and sides of the charcoal. I find that it helps the incense to burn more evenly that way. Non-self-lighting charcoal I'll heat in the flame of an oil lamp (holding it in metal chopsticks, of course) until the edges glow, then fan it again.

If my charcoal gets damp for any reason and doesn't want to light, I just let it sit out in the sun all day. I live in Phoenix so things flash-dry around here.

Lucky Mojo carries the Nepalese braziers. You can line them with sand or with ash, which is the Asian style of usng them. Fill the cup halfway with ash, put your charcoal on top, cover the glowing charcoal loosely with a little more ash, then put your incense on top. It keeps incense from flash-burning. It's also how the Japanese use Koh in the Koh ceremony, but then the ash must be fresh with each use.
Beneath my feet I can feel
That I'm a slave,
Slave to Gravity
--Neuroactive

Summer

Unread post by Summer » Mon Nov 26, 2012 5:25 am

Will the incense still give you results even if you don't use the charcoal? or is it better to use charcoal to make it stronger?

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:30 am

Summer: Yes the incense will give you results if you don;t use the charcoal. Any way that you can get the incense lit and going will work fine. This is a thread for using charcoal with the incense, hence the charcoal-centric discussion.
Joseph Magnuson

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 17, 2013 12:26 pm

ALT-CHA-D10P
Charcoal Disks, 10-pack
$3.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

Rashel67

Charcoal Divination?

Unread post by Rashel67 » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:52 pm

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on my situation.

I started a 13-day uncrossing ritual using the 13-Herb Bath. On the third day after saying my prayers in front of the two white candles I was just walking out of the room to mop my floors with the Uncrossing wash that I prepared, when something unusual happened. I heard a small shuffling sound and then a loud pop. I turned right back into the room and saw that the lid to the container where I keep my hoodoo supplies had moved a couple of inches by itself, but also that the incense charcoal broke into two pieces right down that middle. I lit the incense charcoal the same way I do every time and it wasn't burning for long, just a nice going smoke when all of sudden - a loud pop, almost like uncorking a wine bottle. I took this as a gut instinct that "something" negative was destroyed.

I had a similar incident when I did an Uncrossing ritual in a previous apartment I rented back in 2001, but it was my living room furniture that shuffled on the floor.

I was wondering if anyone else has ever experienced something similar in an Uncrossing ritual.

Can this be a sign that the uncrossing was a success after only 3 days?

Thanks.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Charcoal Divination?

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 07, 2013 10:54 pm

Yes, a popping sound like this is often taken to mean a bloackage or negative energy was broken. This is only true when the spell is for Uncrossing, Roa Opener, or the like -- that is, a pop and explosion like this would mean something different if you were burning a white candle dressed with Tranquility Oil.
catherine yronwode

Aradia
Newly Registered

Unread post by Aradia » Sat Feb 09, 2013 1:09 pm

I've lived in humid Middle Georgia, and have had to deal with this problem too. For starters, once I open a roll of charcoal, the remaining disks get rolled back up in foil, and placed in a plastic bag with a desiccant. On reflection, I bet putting them in a tightly sealed Mason jar would've been better.

When lighting, I use tongs to hold it, and light not one, but all edges. I wait until I see that the underside is lit before sitting it down in my brazier. If I have too much trouble getting it to light, I use a plain white cleansed taper and let a few drops of wax drop onto the center. And then I hold that part (using tongs) over the flame. It will erupt in flames too, so be careful. But that's the only way I've found to get a charcoal that has absorbed too much humidity to light. If a charcoal is older, and I have to force it to light, they have popped and exploded on me. So if I have one that's too stubborn, I sit it in it's brazier in the bathtub until it's going good and past the possible exploding stage. I had a hot spark jump down my shirt once, which wasn't fun while trying to force light a charcoal.

I discovered that charcoals seem to need a lot of air to stay lit. If I am using sand as a heat buffer in my brazier, the charcoal doesn't get as much air flow beneath it and can go out if it wasn't ignited enough before setting down. The use of some pebbles on top of the sand, helps this situation. Also plain clay cat litter used to work well instead of sand. I don't know if you can find old fashioned plain clay cat litter anymore. They all seem to have gone to odor control and/or anti-clumping additives.

I wait until there is a layer of ash in the center of the charcoal before adding the incense. Otherwise, the incense may smother it and put it out again.

MoonBreath
Charcoal for Incense Burning - Boom!

Unread post by MoonBreath » Wed Feb 27, 2013 3:32 pm

I was using incense in my home and the holder exploded. Yes, I realize the charcoal disk was too hot for the holder ... now. I was using a charcoal disk on a layer of salt in a thick, heavy glass candle holder/plate. I've used this for the LM loose incense, no problem - but this was the 1st time I used a charcoal disk.

I went around the house with FWP incense - no problem. Then I put some Blessing incense on the disk and made it almost through the house when - BOOM! The heavy glass holder broke in 3 large pieces ( with a shower of tiny shards of glass ... and burning incense, embers, and the disk). I have a soapstone incense holder - somewhere. Would that be ok to use?

Also, my child flipped out that it happened right after I passed the incense over her bed - thinking something bad was in her room. I told her, I was using Blessing incense, not Uncrossing and that the holder just got too hot. I told her right, didn't I? No significance to asking for Blessings and protection from bad stuff ... it was just a case of using the wrong type of holder. She has recently been through an unpleasant drama at school ... so she was spooked.

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Thu Feb 28, 2013 10:35 am

You were right in explaining the reason the glass exploded. Nothing bad is in her room at all. I do encourage you to get yourself a proper Incense Burner for the Charcoal Disks. Such as a thurible or brazier for example.

I am glad that no serious harm came to you and your child from this mistake. Take care, and blessings to you.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

MoonBreath

Unread post by MoonBreath » Thu Feb 28, 2013 12:32 pm

Thanks for the reply Papa Newt. That makes me feel better. I only wanted reassurance because I've read on here about different items breaking meaning "they took a hit" for you. Just so you know, my daughter was not in her room when it happened - I was alone in the house. Thank you for sending the links for braziers - I will be getting one!

My girl was freaked out because it happened as I passed the incense over a bouquet of roses on her nightstand that a boy had given to her, only she had to stop all contact with him recently ( for her safety). I threw the flowers out and cleaned the wall and carpet from the incense accident as best I could, and frankly she has been sleeping better at night since. In fact, one of the reasons I had been incensing the house was to try and clear away any negativity from the situation with this boy. Oh well, thanks again .... I will start shopping for braziers.

Done2

Humidity and powders vs Incense.

Unread post by Done2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 2:59 pm

Miss Bri wrote:Hi Jewelz,
If you live in a relatively humid area that might contribute to the problems that you are experiencing. I used to live in a very humid environment and had similar issues with the charcoal. So, make sure it is stored in a DRY place first of all. I have has success using a little pair of tongs as Chagrinedgirl mentioned. Its also useful when trying to light charcoal to use a fireplace lighter with lighter fluid as opposed to wooden matches because sometimes you need to keep the flame on the disk for awhile before it catches.

good luck,
Bri
Ah, that explains things. I live in the PNW and have been swearing at the "cheap" charcoal, I have to light it in a candle flame in order to get it to keep lit.

On another topic, I'm trying to put an order in right now and can't afford everything I want, so I was going to do one of the 12 pack discounts. Now if I do this, I have to get either Sachets or Incense, not both.

Can I burn Sachet powder on the charcoal?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:31 pm

Bulldogge,

Sachet powder is not an incense power.

I would sprinkle just a few grains for a kick to my spell. But, to burn it entirely as incense? I wouldn't do it.
HRCC Graduate #1631

Done2

Unread post by Done2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:34 pm

Miss Aida

So buy a main incense and add some powder to it?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Aug 22, 2013 3:40 pm

Bulldogge,

You will find that Lucky Mojo has corresponding incenses and sachets (as well as oils, bath crystals, and candles).

So, you don't have to do that. Just buy the incense.

If you have a sachet powder that is of something else (but is in sync with your spell) you can add a few grains of it.

Sorry if I didn't make this clear. My bad....
HRCC Graduate #1631

Done2

Unread post by Done2 » Thu Aug 22, 2013 4:04 pm

It's not that, you made yourself very clear,

I'm going after two major things right now, job for DH and sell our house

Right now in my shopping basket I've got

St. Joseph kit
St. Expediete Candle
Crown of Success Oil (I was going to treat this with some extra powders for hubbies interview)s.

Other things I was thinking of adding.........

Gemini (this could be the incense) as it's DH's symbol

Then add.......

Attraction (attract buyers to the house)
Fast Luck (Move the house and hiring system quickly)
Influence (for interviews)
John the Conqueror (for interviews)
Lodestone (for interviews and to attract buyers)
Look Me Over (for the house)
Master Key (for him)
Money House blessing (bring a higher offer on the house)
Money Stay With Me (This one's for me, my purse, my wallet, etc. )
Prosperity (for when they're discussing salary)
Road opener (get things moving)
Wealthy Way (higher wage, better selling price)

Overkill?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Aug 22, 2013 6:43 pm

Bulldogge,

Just to be clear -- sachet powder does not burn like incense. it is like old-fashioned face powder!

You do not need all the products on your list. For instance, Wealthy Way is for a nice, luxurious lifestyle, not for a better selling price for a house. And John the Conqueror is not notably a job-getting root. It is for male power, and for gambling luck. In some job situations that would be valuable, in others, not so much.

Also, please remember, this is the product topic thread on CHARCOAL, not on selling your house or getting a job or whether sachet powders can be burned.

ALT-CHA-D10P
Charcoal Disks, 10-pack
$3.00

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

Lady Croissant

Unread post by Lady Croissant » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:18 pm

I have had a tough time getting charcoal to light BUT I found a good technique that works with an electric stove. I live in the Pacific Northwest (wet climate) and tested this on old charcoal that was not stored in an airtight jar. It worked perfect! Much better than a fireplace lighter or candle.

Good luck!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:24 pm

Lady Croissant,

I have never met a professional practitioner who tries to light charcoal with a lighter or a candle.

I was taught decades ago to use a pair of metal kitchen tongs to hold and light my charcoal disks on my gas stove. That's the way most everyone i know does it. I have never owned an electric range -- but i suppose it would work about the same way as a gas ring.
catherine yronwode

karma_13

Unread post by karma_13 » Wed Aug 19, 2015 9:43 am

This is my first time using charcoal to burn incense...I usually just make cone-shaped packed piles of incense. Needless to say, my rootworker sent me a package of charcoal disks, incense, sand, and a shell to burn it all in.

Does charcoal really smoke up the house where I should be doing this outside so I'm not detected by my family that I'm burning such? Can I just do what I'm comfortable with and make the incense into cones and skip the charcoal step? How long will the incense covered charcoal smolder for because I'm going to be doing this after everyone goes to bed and I don't want to leave it unattended? My cone-shaped piles burn pretty quick but doesn't charcoal go pretty long?

Thanks!!!!

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Wed Aug 19, 2015 2:10 pm

karma_13,

Ask the worker you are working with! We cant say if its acceptable when we are not the ones assessing your issue. In general yes you can use either. The charcole will not burn up and smoke the house and it would go out within 10 mins. I use a prong to hold it as lighting the bottom and the herbs in the dish part then set it down and let it burn. when you want it to go out and ensure it then sufocate it with a metal dish to put it out.
PS37-For evildoers shall be cut off: but those that wait upon the LORD, they shall inherit the earth

Miss Athena
Site Admin

Unread post by Miss Athena » Wed Aug 19, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi karma_13,

Charcoal will not smoke up your house but it will prolong a burn beyond the time you're getting from making incense cones. Ask your rootworker, but I doubt it will make much difference to your spell.

Good luck.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics - Forum Administrator

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Thu Aug 20, 2015 7:53 pm

Hello, karma_13,

I always put all of my incense on charcoal, even if they are self lighting.

Once the incense burns out, I put the censor with the charcoal outside and leave it there until the next day.

Take care
HRCC Graduate #1631

karma_13

Unread post by karma_13 » Fri Aug 21, 2015 11:37 am

Thanks j82, Miss Athena and Miss Aida!

I used a 1/2 piece of charcoal disk and lightly sprinkled my incense over it and it worked beautifully! It was A LOT of fun! And then I wafted the smoke towards my love doll baby (head to toe) using a pink feather (for reconciliation) which made it more symbolic to me in my head rather than fanning it with my hand!

Appreciate your comments and advice!

Thanks!!!!!

sunflowershine

Unread post by sunflowershine » Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:25 am

I've let my charcoal disks with a lighter or a candle sometimes, if I have everything set up in an area and don't want to wander away from it. But even with that, I use kitchen tongs, because of the sparks and heat.

I wasted one on my first test because I didn't realize they broke as easily as they did, so now I use pieces. My place is really small, and gets filled up with incense smoke super fast, and the charcoal disks + loose incense give a lot more smoke than formed commercial incenses, at least it seems that way to me.

A small piece can be smothered easily in sand (I have a small stainless bowl with handles, with a layer of sand for burning them - i also have an abalone shell, but I haven't used it yet), but I do like the idea of putting it outside.

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Incenses and Resins in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”