Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Lenormand Card Reading Questions and Answers

How to select and employ Lucky Mojo divination tools, and how to learn fortune telling in the Hoodoo and Conjure tradition.
Conjuremoon

Unread post by Conjuremoon » Sun Jun 26, 2011 3:55 pm

I did want to point out a valuable tool to root workers who use Divination ( I am sure most do) that Lucky Mojo is offering at a staggering good price. Madame Lenormand Fortune Telling cards. Get yourself a pack of these, some psychic oils and incense from LM, and maybe a Psychic Vision candle to create a night with fate. Although I use Tarot professionally for over 14 years, in the last two I have been using the Lenormand with great results, for my magical coaching (which I do only for myself not clients as I am saving up for Miss Cat's class to hopefully get into). The simplicity of these cards makes them excellent, to use for magical remedy. For example, there is a lady & man card. So, if you are asking about an intended target, say a woman client wants to do a reconciliation on an ex male partner. You would concentrate on the man, shuffle the cards as usual.Then flip the cards until you get to the man, take the two cards before him and after him. The two directly surrounding him show the success and the other two on each side are influencing factors. So, say you have the Mountain card then the man. This can show that there would be resistance to the work. You can alternatively ask what would do good for a client. You may receive the coffin, which could be interpreted as working with the dead, the flowers can mean a flower bath, the lily can mean working with St. Joseph, the Cross can be working with Christ. The possibilities are endless. These cards are often hard to get, but LM has them cheap and they work very well for Divination on work.

My suggestion.....go to the LM site......buy the deck of Lenormand $5. Buy a cute little Chinese Fortune Bag, buy some blue votive candles, buy some psychic oil to bless them with, buy some psychic incense to burn and a white cross, to burn with blessing oils, to bless the new cards. You can have a fun night. These cards work great for root work.

How I began was one night, I felt like someone put something on me (long story got help from Dr. Kioni & Miss Cat on this topic). So, I pulled out these cards and I asked if someone did something to me.

I used the woman *me* and when I got to her the cards were

clouds- woman - snake

By the snake which is an enemy (little white books that comes has meanings in it) and the clouds , confusion. I knew she put something there to confuse me, or cause confusion or inflammation. So, I asked what I should do. I got the coffin, which I took as work with the spirits of the dead.

This method is suggested for seasoned readers only, but it is often overlooked.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Lenormand Oracle Cards Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:14 pm

Thanks for the mention. I too love the Lenormand cards.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread post by starsinthesky7 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 4:04 pm

Brida (another poster here) Turned me onto these cards. They are definitely great. I love the pictures.
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Sun Aug 07, 2011 11:06 pm

Yes, it is. I've always liked this site, and I'm happy to find a forum here.

I actually prefer Lenormand or sometimes Kipperkarten for everyday concerns. Most people who come to you for readings want predictive readings about love and money, and Lenormand just seems better suited for those. Tarot is more philosophical, at least for me. Lenormand doesn't take up much room in a purse or pocket either, so it's handy.

I bought all my decks except one, and they work fine. I don't really do anything special to cleanse them. If they're off or just seem icky, I put them in order and then reshuffle them, or maybe leave them on the windowsill for awhile. Somebody else might be different. You have to find what works for you.

Darth Rosa

The Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards

Unread post by Darth Rosa » Sat Aug 13, 2011 2:35 pm

Hello everyone,

Now I understand these cards are not Tarot, they are a variation of Lenormand style cards. I own a deck and I love them!! They're used so much I've worn them out. Can anyone share their experiences while using this deck? Thank you.

Love,
Darth Rosa

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: The Gypsy Witch Fortune Telling Cards

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Aug 13, 2011 7:13 pm

I love the fact that this deck has been around for at least 100 years. I also am aware that it tends to give negative readings more often than other Lenormand style decks. Just a feature of the strange visuals on these cards, i guess.
catherine yronwode

Darth Rosa

Unread post by Darth Rosa » Sun Aug 14, 2011 9:46 am

Hi Catherine,

Yes I agree. I love how this deck has been around for over a hundred years and still going strong. I am a big fan of old fashioned decks (including the good ol' Rider Waite), and yes, it's a very odd deck. It operates like a Lenormand style oracle deck but it's also a full 52 card poker deck which makes it more of a variation than a copy of all other Lenormand decks, which are often euchre decks.

I would not advise anyone to try to read this deck with traditional cartomancy interpretations. Rather you're better off applying most of the Lenormand style reading techniques onto this deck.

In my experience The Gypsy Witch cards can give just as many positive readings as it can negative ones. I think most people get freaked out by some the negative wording and the pictures, though there is also positive wording that can indicate rich and happy life! I would not call this deck a simple deck to read despite how easy it appears. Some like myself, will feel more called to it than others.

Love.
Darth Rosa

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Mon Sep 26, 2011 8:28 pm

A belated Thank You, Darth Rosa, for your "review" of the Gypsy Witch Fortune cards. These were the ONLY thing even remotely "witchy" "Halloween-like" or "spooky" I had ever seen inside (or even near) my very strict Lutheran grandparents house. they belonged to my aunt and, apparently, had not been found by my grandparents! I enjoyed reading your take on the cards and why you like them.

http://www.luckymojo.com/mojocatdivinat ... ayingcards
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

taramaria

Unread post by taramaria » Tue Jan 31, 2012 5:48 pm

I love the Gypsy Witch cards. When I was a little girl my aunt read with these & tarot. I learned the tarot but when I was old enough got a deck of these. I don't know why I am so attracted to them but I am. I also read the Lenormand which I think is very accurate at divining for root work. I have had lots of success with these, but usually read them Lenormand style instead of reading the words.

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Fri Mar 16, 2012 11:47 pm

Gypsy Witch is great. 8-) Like Miss Cat says on the site, the playing card images are pretty random. I ignore them, but in Lenormand itself most people ignore the playing card insets other than the face cards, so it's all good. It's not the prettiest deck in the world but it has a fantastic old timey vibe, at least for me...like something you might read on a plank table by the light of a kerosene lamp.

Wouldn't recommend using it professionally, at least for in-person readings. Phone readings are fine, but these cards can look rather alarming to people who aren't used to them. I think Miss Cat also mentioned something like this, that the deck looks like it might have been intended to scare people and set them up for candle burning scams.

But they're a lot of fun and they read true, I've gotten some striking predictions out of them that panned out perfectly. Along with Old Gypsy (which was pretty much a Gypsy Witch knockoff, marketed as a toy in the 40's), it was probably the closest thing we had to Lenormand here in the US pre-internet.

stelz
The Proto Lenormand

Unread post by stelz » Tue May 01, 2012 2:39 pm

This isn't really Hoodoo so I hope it's ok to post it here, if not, feel free to delete and I won't be offended. It's just such a find that I couldn't resist, and I saw Miss Cat's old Lenormand posts in the Archive from back when she was first researching the deck, so this might be of interest.

There's a lot of stories making the rounds that the deck started in France, even that Mlle. Lenormand herself used it. (It was a common 19th century sales technique to attribute fortune telling cards to Mlle. Lenormand, Gypsies, or both.)

This never seemed right to me, French art tends to be rococo and all my French oracle decks show busy images, usually with multiple characters acting out the scenes. German art, on the other hand, is more cut-and-dried, tends to be less busy and seemed more likely for this deck, since each card tends to depict a single image, like a dog, ship, or heart.

In time I started seeing references to a German game called Das Spiel der Hoffnung, published in 1800 by G. P. J. Bieling-Dietz of Nuremberg. It was a board game where the 36 cards were laid in a square and the players rolled dice to advance around the board. Landing on certain cards meant you had to retreat, and the person who made it around the board first won.

Today I was fortunate enough to see the actual images for the very first time. The cards have the same numbers, playing card insets (the only difference being that there are two per card: German suits on the left, French on the right) and images as the Lenormand, conclusively proving that this was the origin of Lenormand cards. And...the leaflet that accompanied the game also suggested a simple question and answer whereby 32 cards laid in eight rows of four might answer questions. ;)

Here you go!
http://www.britishmuseum.org/research/s ... umpages=10

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: The Proto Lenormand

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue May 01, 2012 9:15 pm

As described by the British Museum, that is not a board game. It's a pack of pasteboard playing cards. It is not a proto Lenormand deck -- it just *is* a Lenormand deck. "Description. Cards with French suits: complete pack of 36 playing-cards:"
catherine yronwode

Conjuremoon
Re: Lenoramand Oracle Cards Questions and Answers

Unread post by Conjuremoon » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:30 pm

Yes I love them. I had a deck years a go and sold it. I have always just used the Rider-Waite deck in my readings. I got another deck of Lenormand two years back and while I was studying hoodoo in theory and practice, I decided to try it for root work remedies, for myself. I think any deck you work with works for you, but these cards are often overlooked.

stelz
The Proto Lenormand

Unread post by stelz » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:47 pm

Yes, I was led to the part about the board game by A Wicked Pack of Cards: The Origins of the Occult Tarot by Decker, Depaulis and Dummett: ""Detlef Hoffmann has shown that their prototype can be clearly traced back to a lovely little pack of fancy cards, called 'Das Spiel der Hofnung (sic) / Le jeu de l'espérance' (The Game of Hope), published around 1800 by G.P.J. Bieling in Nuremberg." (p. 141)

From German wikipedia http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lenormandkarten
"Detlev (sic) Hoffmann has demonstrated in 1972 that the Spiel der Hoffnung (Game of Hope), with 36 cards, second revised edition (published in 1800 by GPJ Bieling in Nuremberg) was only secondarily conceived as a fortune telling game and was properly a racing game with 2 dice..." (there's more but I can only get a bad computer translation. I ran it by a native speaker and they told me what I put in the OP.)

I really should have cited that in the beginning, so apologies, Miss Cat!

And it IS a Lenormand deck, regardless of what they were calling it or how they were using it. :)

Old Jack
Getting started with Lenormand

Unread post by Old Jack » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:34 pm

Yesterday I received my most recent order from LM, including the French Cartomancy Lenormand deck. Other than reading the small booklet that came with the deck, does anyone have any tips or resources for learning a system and getting started reading Lenormand cards? There seems to next to nothing published in English, and the YouTube sites I've found all seem to have unique systems. Is there a traditional way to read these traditional cards?

Eager to get started,
Jack

catherineyronwode
Site Admin
Re: Lenormand Card Reading Questions and Answers

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sun Dec 30, 2012 12:44 pm

We stock a book in the shop on Lenormand cards called "Game of Destiny." It is recommended by Madame Nadia of AIRR, who is a professional Lenormand card reader.
catherine yronwode

stelz
Re: Lenoramand Card Reading Questions and Answers

Unread post by stelz » Mon Dec 31, 2012 7:57 am

The Dos Ventos book? It's great...besides card meanings, etc., it's got some Brazilian magic. :)

Old Jack

Unread post by Old Jack » Mon Dec 31, 2012 8:58 am

catherineyronwode wrote:We stock a book in the shop on Lenormand cards called "Game of Destiny."
Thank you, Miss Cat. I'll include the book in my next order.

Jack

Laila
HRCC Student

Unread post by Laila » Fri Feb 08, 2013 7:06 am

I'm just starting to use the Lenoremand deck. I began the week after Christmas, following the directions to cleanse and prepare the cards. I draw a card every day asking for advice for the day and then study the meaning and look at that card in detail. I'm liking the Lenormand, but I don't feel the natural connection to the deck as I did with the Rider-Waite.

stelz
Re: Lenoramand Card Reading Questions and Answers

Unread post by stelz » Sun Feb 10, 2013 12:00 pm

That's probably because you're drawing single cards, and the cards are meant to be read in combinations. It's more "verbal" than visual...you have a set of keywords for each card and you go by that rather than the pictures. The card order is also taken into account: Anchor - Coffin might be job loss, or loss of stability, but Coffin - Anchor might be working to make up the loss of something else.

For dailies, most people draw three cards. Remember to "ramp down" your interpretations, since dailies usually refer to very small matters.

Definitely get the Dos Ventos book!

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Mon Feb 11, 2013 7:31 am

ps Madame Nadia is an accomplished Lenormand reader and she's AIRR...check this out http://www.blogtalkradio.com/luckymojoh ... -in-format

Laila
HRCC Student

Unread post by Laila » Thu Feb 28, 2013 8:50 pm

I just saw your reply. Thanks, Stelz! What you say makes a lot of sense, especially the part about how card order is taken into account. And I really like the example you give with anchor-coffin vs. coffin-anchor. I will draw three cards for my dailies from now on instead of just one. I also plan to make a Lucky Mojo order this weekend, and I'll be sure to add the Dos Ventos book.

I've seen Madame Nadia's blog in the past and have been meaning to get a reading with her. Maybe I'll stop procrastinating and get that ball rolling this weekend as well.

Thanks again!
stelz wrote:That's probably because you're drawing single cards, and the cards are meant to be read in combinations. It's more "verbal" than visual...you have a set of keywords for each card and you go by that rather than the pictures. The card order is also taken into account: Anchor - Coffin might be job loss, or loss of stability, but Coffin - Anchor might be working to make up the loss of something else.

For dailies, most people draw three cards. Remember to "ramp down" your interpretations, since dailies usually refer to very small matters.

Definitely get the Dos Ventos book!

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Sun Apr 21, 2013 7:20 am

Lenormand is really good for reading for yourself, if you follow a traditional method. A lot of people complain and want to make up their own meanings (and I'm not saying you can't, they're your cards, after all) but I've found the old methods to be really helpful. The rules keep you from seeing "what you want to see". Clouds, Cross, Scythe, Coffin, etc. in certain positions are a "no", they can't be rationalized into a "yes".

stelz
Re: Lenormand Card Reading Questions and Answers Reading Questions and Answers

Unread post by stelz » Mon Apr 22, 2013 8:14 am

It's difficult to read when you're really stressing over something. If it's extreme, I let my mind settle awhile before consulting the cards on the issue.

I recommend Lenormand cards in this case because the meanings are pretty cut-and-dried, you're using a few keywords and reading the card combinations, not spinning a story intuitively - intuition tends to get drowned out when you're upset. The Coffin, for instance, always ends the card before it - Heart + Coffin would be love ending, but Mice + Coffin might be the end of a period of loss. And LM carries several classic Lenormands that are highly recommended:
ttp://www.luckymojo.com/cartomancy.html#lenormandstyle

SwampOak
HRCC Student

Unread post by SwampOak » Thu May 23, 2013 10:24 am

I have enrolled in a Lenormand class online. I am really excited about taking this course. Thus far I have truly enjoyed the cards and feel that their straight forward manner makes them a truly wonderful divination tool.

I enjoyed the Lucky Mojo Hoodoo Rootwork Hour not that long ago, which featured I believe Madame Nadia reading with Lenormand cards (if I have the wrong AIRR member, I apologize in advance!). Really great info was shared!

papagee
AIRR Member

Unread post by papagee » Thu May 23, 2013 7:28 pm

I found the Lenormand cards to be a natural for me. All the meanings and the actual
readings performed with them were almost effortless. I've never felt this connection
to the Tarot, even though I've been using them for almost thirty years.

With the Tarot, if I left them for any good length of time I would find myself
questioning the meanings and even my own interpretations.

With Lenormand it is the exact opposite for me. The answers are right there in
front of me, clear and concise and allows room for my intuitive side to quickly
"kick in" and become a part of the reading. I have two different Lenormand decks.
The Blue Owl I have had for quite some time. Recently, I purchased the French
Cartomancy deck from right here at Lucky Mojo and I like them even better.

The only thing is, for the sake of the silly search engines, I must title the page
of my website "tarot readings" and then explain the deck I use. I think if the page
header was "Lenormand Card Readings" that my bookings would be fewer and far
between.

Papa Gee
"You can't practice witchcraft while you look down your nose at it." - Practical Magic

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Thu May 23, 2013 10:30 pm

Hi SwampOak,

Madame Nadia is very skilled with the Lenormand Deck. Be sure to check out her AIRR profile page.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Mon May 27, 2013 8:40 am

potionsman wrote:The only thing is, for the sake of the silly search engines, I must title the page
of my website "tarot readings" and then explain the deck I use. I think if the page
header was "Lenormand Card Readings" that my bookings would be fewer and far
between.
You can work the "T" word into the page header by saying it's "Lenormand Card Readings - more (insert adjective) than Tarot". Google still grabs it. ;)

Laila
HRCC Student

Unread post by Laila » Mon May 27, 2013 6:53 pm

I've very much enjoyed Madame Nadia's blog and videocasts using Lenoremand readings. She is amazing!

Papa Newt wrote:Hi SwampOak,

Madame Nadia is very skilled with the Lenormand Deck. Be sure to check out her AIRR profile page.

Rev Ken
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Rev Ken » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:26 am

I am interested in exploring the Lenormand Cards. But I see so many decks and books that I didn't know which one was the best to start with as (of course) there are so many differing opinions on them. I see Cat mentioned "Game of Destiny" that Madame Nadia likes, so that seems like a good start. What about the deck itself?
Rev Ken
HRCC Graduate #1869G
Court of Pentacles
www.courtofpentacles.com

Papa Newt
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Papa Newt » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:50 am

The deck that I have started with, and picked up during one of my visits to Lucky Mojo, is the Mlle. Lenormand Cartomancy Deck from Austria.
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1649G
Thank you, St. Expedite!

stelz

Unread post by stelz » Mon Jan 12, 2015 1:24 am

"Game of Destiny" is a book by Mario Dos Ventos, and yes, it's good.
If you're looking for a Lenormand deck, The Austrian deck Papa Newt mentioned is great, as well as the others offered here. They're all traditional old Lenormands, the best for both learning and reading.

Trish Martin
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Trish Martin » Wed Feb 11, 2015 12:08 pm

I adore the Lenormand cards! They come so natural to me. For years I have tried to learn Tarot but I always had to refer to a book for proper description of the cards. With the Lenormand cards I see the story laid out in front of me without second guessing the meaning behind them. I use them every day. I'm trying to memorize the playing cards associated with each of them now so in case Im somewhere without my cards I can simply find a pack of playing cards and be happy as a peach! :mrgreen:

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 12, 2015 11:12 am

Trish Martin --

If playing cards, Lenormand or otherwise, are your thing, you are going to LOVE the new book by Professor Charles orterfield, A Deck of Spells. Trust me. It will be right up your alley.
catherine yronwode

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu Feb 12, 2015 5:16 pm

Ooh, I am excited by the sound of that book, Miss Cat! I am also a big fan of Lenormand. I'm organically drawn to it as a divination tool as I am to hoodoo as a spiritual practice. I look forward to reading this book!
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Forum Moderator

Trish Martin
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Trish Martin » Fri Feb 13, 2015 10:24 am

Thanks for the recommendation Miss Cat! Sounds like a pretty awesome book just by the title. I've been looking for it for sale on a few sites and don't see it. Can I purchase through Lucky Mojo?

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Fri Feb 13, 2015 8:22 pm

It sounds like this book will be introduced at the Hoodoo Heritage Festival in May. It's not available yet.
HRCC Graduate #1909 - Forum Moderator

Trish Martin
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Trish Martin » Sun Feb 15, 2015 7:14 am

That explains why I can't find it lol thank you Athena!

sarake

Unread post by sarake » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:08 pm

Hi guys!

I am new to Lenormand card and I just did a simple five-card spread reading for myself. My question for the cards was "What will happen if I continue to pursue my college major (which ultimately leads to my dream career)?"
I got 6-the clouds, 11-the whip, 27- the letter, 36-the cross, 29 the lady.
The cards I am playing is Mlle.Lenormand Jeu de destin by Piatnik (made in Austria)

I first tried to read them indiviually based on the meanings in the little white book that came with the deck of card. Then I went to a website for learning Lenormand card and read the meanings over there. But I got confused because some meanings for the same card doesn't really seem match or make sense... For example, in the little white book, for the cloud card(#6), it says something like if the sunny side is towards me then it is a good and positive sign, meaning something good will happen. And yes the sunny side is towards me. But then from the Lenormand card learning website, it generally says Cloud card is not a good sign and I'm not at ease with what's going on, and it doesn't mentioned anything good. I'm confused... Should I just get a reliable Lenormand card reference book for the meanings or can I just refer to the website? I'm not sure which source provides the authentic and reliable reference.

Also I learned that I can combine the very first card with the last card, the second card with the forth card in the five-card spread, and read the meanings of the combinations. Is this true? I heard that the central card is the key (most important) card, is this true as well?

So sorry for the long post and thank you so much for spending time reading it!! I would really appreciate your help!!

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Sun Mar 06, 2016 8:58 am

Hello sarake,

The question of what source to use for reading your lenormand cards is really outside the scope of this forum. Card readers all develop their own personal style and understanding of the cards. That is not to say it is just a free for all in terms of what the cards mean. For example, the clouds card in lenormand has a negative connotation to it. One source is simply giving you an augmented understanding of the meaning of that card. The book is saying while there is something uncomfortable or troubling represented by the clouds this is lessened or mitigated in some way as represented by the sunny side facing your card. Ultimately you will just have to see how this plays out for you and as you observe how your interpretations match what actually happens you will come to understand what the cards are telling you.

Basically use whatever source you find to be most accurate for you as long as it are grounded in that particular card reading system.

Peace~

Nathen

Ms Annette
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Ms Annette » Thu Dec 08, 2016 7:37 am

Sarake,
I'd like to point out that, unlike Tarot, Lenormand cards are not read singly; they are always read in pairs. Cloud+Whip, Whip+ Letter, etc. Because of the relationship one builds with the cards, not all readers will interpret the results the same way. =D Enjoy!
Miss Annette, HRCC Graduate #2082

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “Divination Tools, Tarot Cards, Pendulums, Crystal Balls, and Spirit Boards”