Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Some guy from Jersey

fausto

Some guy from Jersey

Unread post by fausto » Mon May 25, 2009 8:25 am

Like to say hello to my fellow folk magick enthusiasts. I am a 25 year old white male living in Audubon, NJ. I've been into Neopaganism for several years now, and I attend monthly circle meetings at a Unitarian church, where I sometimes serve as high priest. I currently attend Rowan university. My interest in hoodoo started a few years ago, when I found this site. I got hooked, although I never had anyone to talk to about it,I figured im the only person in NJ who knew or cared about it, which is why this message board rules.

Im not a rootworker, nor would I ever presume to call myself one. I dont come from a family tradition and have never lived in the south. Whatever work i do is for my own benefit or that of my friends or family. However, the subject fascinates me. Although raised Lutheran and currently unitarian/neopagan, I have always approached hoodoo from a catholic perspective, including reciting the psalms and petitioning the saints for aid.

cancankant

Re: Some guy from Jersey

Unread post by cancankant » Mon May 25, 2009 5:15 pm

Hey Fausto -

Great you enjoy this board. I kind of feel like you about hoodoo. There is a fair amount of Neopagans, Wiccans, Magicians of every stripe, Druids, heck even Asatru/Norse Pagans around Milwaukee, but I've yet to run into any hoodoo practitioners until late. There is a lady in Milwaukee, and the only way I found out about her hoodoo aspect is because she also runs a paranormal study group.

I have a feeling you might be surprised at the number of people in your area that are interested in hoodoo. It seems like hoodoo tends to attract a different kind of person than Wicca or Neopagansim or New Age practice does. Some people have grown up in it, but others are drawn to it for other reasons entirely. It also seems to be a fairly "quiet" practice from what I've read online. While a lot of pagans can be "in your face" about their beliefs, I think the average rootworker who is doing work for themselves is not screaming from the rooftops - "I working hoodoo here!!! On myself, on you, on my husband, on my dog!!!" Plus, I think that there's good amount of people who have a rootworker do spells for them or give them instructions, or buy spell kits & candles a few times and then don't do it ever again or wait a while to do something else.

I also feel that people who are practicing hoodoo don't necessarily feel comfortable among Neopagans & Wiccans, since anything negative in magic is really discouraged in those groups. Nothing is worse than a bunch of people "looking down their noses" at you for the kind of magic you practice. So, these people aren't going to be present at your local Pagan Meetups and pride festivals. :D

Angie

Keirith

Unread post by Keirith » Tue Aug 17, 2010 10:49 pm

Hello and nice to hear of another New Jerseyan who is interested in hoodoo. I am from North Jersey, however. Would be nice to find a group of like minds in the same state or geographical area, even if just to talk and meet.
I don't post much but I like to learn.
In any case, welcome and hope to see you here.

kmj
HRCC Student

Unread post by kmj » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:10 pm

Greetings from South Jersey :)
You are not alone !!! I too enjoy the forum and learning about hoodoo.

Princesa

Unread post by Princesa » Wed Aug 18, 2010 3:35 pm

Hi Fausto,
You are also not alone.. I'm from Northern NJ, and am a practicing magician.. Welcome!

niteraptor
Forum Member
Location: a rabbit hole under cemetary hill by the union of 3 roads and 3 rivers

Unread post by niteraptor » Sun Aug 22, 2010 8:56 pm

Jersey Represent!
I grew up on a farm outside Princeton. its long gone. but that state is still there!

butchcomer
HRCC Student

Unread post by butchcomer » Wed Aug 25, 2010 9:26 am

Hi Fausto,
Jersey Shore, here! =)

route95
Forum Member

Unread post by route95 » Sun Aug 29, 2010 7:58 pm

North Jersey here. :)

Now if only we could get someone to retail LM products in this area, lol. That would be such a dream come true :-p

Batling
Forum Member

Unread post by Batling » Mon Aug 30, 2010 12:26 am

I'm from Jersey too!!
We should do a mini meet up...
:)
~Bat
Tarot Geek + Artist

Joseph Magnuson
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Joseph Magnuson » Fri Sep 03, 2010 10:18 pm

Hello and welcome to the forums!!!

Good luck!

-Joseph M,
Joseph Magnuson
Lucky Mojo Forum Moderator
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1599

ProphetAvery
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by ProphetAvery » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:12 pm

butchcomer wrote:Hi Fausto,
Jersey Shore, here! =)
So happy to see this forum! Central Jersey here and I also wouldn't mind finding a group of people with which I have similar interests.
God Bless St. Expedite, Archangel Michael!
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1860G

mystic_fae
Forum Member

Unread post by mystic_fae » Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 pm

fausto wrote:Like to say hello to my fellow folk magick enthusiasts. I am a 25 year old white male living in Audubon, NJ. I've been into Neopaganism for several years now, and I attend monthly circle meetings at a Unitarian church, where I sometimes serve as high priest. I currently attend Rowan university. My interest in hoodoo started a few years ago, when I found this site. I got hooked, although I never had anyone to talk to about it,I figured im the only person in NJ who knew or cared about it, which is why this message board rules.

Im not a rootworker, nor would I ever presume to call myself one. I dont come from a family tradition and have never lived in the south. Whatever work i do is for my own benefit or that of my friends or family. However, the subject fascinates me. Although raised Lutheran and currently unitarian/neopagan, I have always approached hoodoo from a catholic perspective, including reciting the psalms and petitioning the saints for aid.
Hi, I'm in NJ too (Riverside, not far from you at all). I used to go to the UU church too, in Cherry Hill, but I left it for New Thought/Religious Science a few years ago. They are great people at that UU church! I remember the Wiccan/Pagan group there too, never went to their meetings though, I was actually in the Sanctuary group for those who are more theist. Not sure if you will see this post again any time soon, but it's nice to see someone so close by who not only knows of the UU church here but also hoodoo!

ProphetAvery
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by ProphetAvery » Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:27 pm

Hi, I'm in NJ too (Riverside, not far from you at all). I used to go to the UU church too, in Cherry Hill, but I left it for New Thought/Religious Science a few years ago. They are great people at that UU church! I remember the Wiccan/Pagan group there too, never went to their meetings though, I was actually in the Sanctuary group for those who are more theist. Not sure if you will see this post again any time soon, but it's nice to see someone so close by who not only knows of the UU church here but also hoodoo!
Interesting, I used to live in Riverside just two years ago, I'm sure we bumped into one another as Riverside is so small!! Lol I'm interested to kno some places nearby that you visit that are interesting! Dunno if it violates the boards rules to do so, maybe PMing is best.
God Bless St. Expedite, Archangel Michael!
Hoodoo Rootwork Correspondence Course Graduate #1860G

Boanerges
Forum Member

Unread post by Boanerges » Mon Jul 20, 2015 11:45 am

Hello Everyone, also from Jersey here, living in Northern Ocean County. Been a solitary for too long and talking online feels awkward for me. But maybe something will clique for me here...I am kind of hoping...

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Jul 20, 2015 8:05 pm

Hello, Boanerges ,

Please go to the 2015 introduction thread.

This was from 2009..

Take care

Herb-Magic.com

Return to “2009 Public Forum Introductions”