• Advertisement
Lucky-Mojo-Hoodoo-Rootwork-Hour-Radio-Show.com

It is currently Sun Jan 21, 2018 7:52 pm

Drawing Designs on the Altar with Powders

Discussions about how to use Lucky Mojo sachet powders and natural mineral dusts for sprinkling, blowing, and dressing papers.

Unread postby Siren » Wed Feb 24, 2010 11:33 pm

Come to Me spell kit has me make an 8pointed star with the powder the first day. Are you suppose to redo the star every day or attempt to keep the powder formed like a star and hidden away some place so you can use it the next 7 days? Is it ok to clean up the powder every night..save it in the disposal container that I am suppose to bury and redo the powder-star every evening until the work is done? Is it a big deal if the star is pretty wonky looking?
Siren

Re: 8-pointed powder star help

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Feb 25, 2010 3:59 am

See this page for a picture of exactly this forms of star:

http://readersandrootworkers.org/index. ... ._Johannes

It's the 5th image down on the right hand side of the page.

Moat people would leave it out on the altar for all seven days -- but if you must hide it, then re-make it each time.
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby freegirl » Thu Feb 25, 2010 9:23 am

Wow, wish I'd seen that when I did my Come to Me spell-- but it was one of the first LM things I did and I didn't know what I was doing at all yet, didn't have an icnense burner or candleholders or anything!

I love the Fiery Wall of Protection altar. I think I need to do that...
freegirl

Unread postby Siren » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:19 pm

Yeah I was a mess the first day! I had pill bottle caps for candle holders - yeh, that didn't work out so well. I left the paper around the incense cones. I can't for the life of me figure out how those perfect incense cones are formed. Mine always fall apart! My first 8 pointed star was miserable looking. Then oil got in the powder and it looked like barbie barfed on my tray! The next day my candle holders arrived and my life got a whole lot easier without having to do the candle balancing act. I think I got sprinkling the star down pretty good now. I need a bigger tray. The one I have is the top of one of those breakfast in bed trays but it's pretty cramped. I want something bigger -- anybody have any ideas where to get a BIG tray?
Siren

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:01 pm

If you cant' find a big baking tray, then just use foil. I like to cover my entire table or whatever with foil. You may have to use several sheets of foil, but cookie baking sheets are your best friend when it comes to doing this and burning candles. As for bottle caps that's not a bad idea as long as they are metal and not plastic. :p
Thank u St. Martha for everything you have done on my behalf.
Thank u St. Elena! I appreciate your great help.
Thank you St. Peter for opening the gates&roads!
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby freegirl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:22 pm

I tried making candle holders with tin foil-- a suggestion from the LM store. It didn't work that great because it was hard to keep them flat and the candles fell over a lot. :( Now before I would do a spell I would be much more careful that I had everything ready. I didn't even have an incense burner! My star was pitiful too.
freegirl

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:39 pm

Cheap star candle holders:

Stamped Brass Star Candle Holder
3/4" tall, 2 1/4" wide 7-point star base; convenient, inexpensive, reusable, adjustable holder for our 4" tall small altar candles. Made in Germany. $0.75 CAX-BRS-BSS4

Stamped Brass Star Candle Holder
1" tall, 2 3/4" wide 7-point star base; convenient, inexpensive, reusable, adjustable holder for our 6" tall offertory or household candles. Made in Germany. $1.00 CAX-BRS-BSS6
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby freegirl » Mon Mar 01, 2010 8:43 pm

Oh yes, once I ordered those life was MUCH MUCH better! :) I didn't know I needed them the first time so was making do. It was funny! I also have a nice LM incense burner too these days.
freegirl

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Mon Mar 01, 2010 9:44 pm

Geena,
A friend of mine does this with a large pizza cooking sheet. She said it works quite well. ;)
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaena » Mon Oct 10, 2011 10:33 am

Anyone have advice on how to draw with sachet powders? I have the Come To Me spell kit and drawing the star is giving me trouble. Any tips would be great!

I remember seeing a picture of the set-up, and If anyone can point me in the right direction for that as well, I'd appreciate it!

Thanks in advance.
Shaena

Re: Drawing with powders?

Unread postby starsinthesky7 » Mon Oct 10, 2011 8:01 pm

If you are having trouble drawing a star, then simply print one out, or do it to the best of your ability. It does not need to be perfect.
starsinthesky7
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaena » Tue Oct 11, 2011 6:49 pm

I understand what the star is supposed to look like, but working with the powder (for me) seems kind of difficult. I was wondering if anyone had some tips on how to manipulate the powder itself. For it, it just seems to turn into a big (but wonderfully fragrant) mess! :)
Shaena

Unread postby autumnalflower » Tue Oct 11, 2011 8:24 pm

Not being sure how the spell is set out, can you dip your finger in the packet as needed to draw the star? Or possibly sprinkle some like you would flour when baking and draw the star that way?
autumnalflower

Unread postby Shaena » Wed Oct 12, 2011 4:59 pm

I tried that, it just made a mess- just like flour. :)

I'm wondering if I can smooth out a pile of the powder on a small plate (with a slight rim) to keep the powder somewhat contained, then draw the star "in" the powder, instead of "with" the powder. Does that make sense?

It may take a bit more powder to do it that way, though. Any thoughts?
Shaena

Unread postby Miss Tammie Lee » Wed Oct 12, 2011 5:25 pm

Hoodoo in Theory and Practice, by Miss Catherine Yronwode:
http://www.luckymojo.com/hoodoo.html
Click the link then enter in the "search" box the "Working with Powders"
You can learn so much from this wonderful resource.
Good luck!
Work the Lucky Mojo products for you and for those that you hold dearly!!!
#1606 GA
Miss Tammie Lee
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaena » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:10 am

Thanks, Miss Tammie, that is great information.

I suppose it just takes practice, trial and error to get the hang of using the powder. Mine seems to stick together, even though I store it with dessicant in an air-tight container, and I live in the desert with very little humidity. I'll keep trying. Thanks, all.
Shaena

Unread postby MissMichaele » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:19 am

The important thing is powder + star. How you get them together is less crucial. You could, as you suggested yourself, draw a star in a layer of powder; or draw or print out a star on paper and sprinkle it with powder: or do like Tibetan Buddhist monks do when making sand paintings, and improvise a chak-pur -- a slim metal funnel (theirs are specially made and have a ribbed exterior, which they rub with a metal rod; the vibration causes the powder to dribble out in a neat line). Just google "chak-pur," and "video buddhist sand painting mandala" to see them in use.

You might be able to fill a small funnel or cake decorating tip with the powder and stir it with a toothpick to keep it loose enough to trickle out.

But the other methods -- yours and sprinkling paper with the powder -- are easier :)

Miss ("Overthinking") Michaele
MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Re: Drawing Designs on the Altar with Powders

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Thu Oct 13, 2011 8:50 am

Here are several examples of designs drawn on an altar with sachet powders, incense powders, and mineral salts. These are all supplied courtesy of -- and are copyright by -- AIRR -- the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers:

Mojo Bag for love in a Star by Dr. Johannes.

Spirit Trap in a Spiral by ConjureMan Ali.

Skull for Uncrossing in a Triangle by Dr. Johannes.

Come To Me love spell in a Star by Dr. Kioni.

Uncrossing-and-Reversing spell for a couple in an Oval by Dr. E.

Psychic Vision spell in a Crossed Circle by Deacon Millett

Thanks to the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers for permission to use these pictures for educational purposes. If you wish to engage the services of a professional rootworker, you should look up these and other members of AIRR at their own group web site:

http://readersandrootworkers.org
catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread postby autumnalflower » Thu Oct 13, 2011 9:22 am

Thanks for sharing the pictures Miss Cat.
autumnalflower

Unread postby Shaena » Thu Oct 13, 2011 11:28 am

Oh, thank you Miss Cat- the pictures are wonderful and inspiring. Now I really can't wait for my next shippment of LM supplies.

And thank you Miss Michaele for the great ideas. I'm going to see what I can come up with- the cake decorating funnel idea sounds like just the thing if I can't get ahold of a chak-pur. :) Brilliant! I can't wait to try it.
Shaena

Unread postby ConjureMan Ali » Thu Oct 13, 2011 6:34 pm

There are a variety of ways that you can do this. Sometimes I use a spoon and lightly tap the powder out in the designs I need--this has worked rather well and allows me to shape the "messier" spots while deep in Spirit.

Another option is to use Incense powders which are often easier to use to trace out more complicated patterns. I've found this helpful when I've had to trace out kabbalistic seals which are rather intricate.
ConjureMan Ali- Lucky Mojo Certified Graduate and Member of AIRR
ConjureMan Ali
Forum Moderator

Unread postby Shaena » Fri Oct 14, 2011 1:37 pm

I like the suggestion of using the incense to draw with. The texture seems perfect for that. Have you tired mixing the sachet powder with the incense to draw with? I am thinking of trying that. Thanks for the idea!
Shaena

Unread postby EmpoweredSis » Fri Oct 14, 2011 7:16 pm

Just order several kinds of sachets powders and I'm looking forward to working with them. Seeing the pictures were very helpful Miss Cat. and always the info and suggestions are great!
EmpoweredSis

Unread postby Luckbewithme876 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 8:29 pm

How many candles should I use for a heart shaped pattern? I'm guessing four of them, one on the two upper curves, one on the inward point, and one on the point at the bottom. And is nine candles the proper amount to use any time you use a circle (I saw that was the number Dr. Johannes used in that link)?
Thank you to St. Dymphna!
Luckbewithme876

Unread postby Miss Aida » Tue Oct 22, 2013 9:30 pm

Hello, Luckbewithme876,

It is traditional in Hoodoo for some people to favor odd numbers. 7 candles are great number for love. Other use 9 candles.
And, yes, 9 is good for circles too.

Here's some more information on candle magic: http://www.luckymojo.com/candlemagic.html
Hope this helps
Take care
PROUD member of AIRR
Find me on the AIRR website
Miss Aida
Site Admin

Unread postby Luckbewithme876 » Tue Oct 22, 2013 11:17 pm

Thanks Miss Aida. I'll use seven candles for the heart and 9 for the Protection spell.
Thank you to St. Dymphna!
Luckbewithme876

Unread postby catherineyronwode » Wed Oct 23, 2013 8:21 am

Regarding the idea that the use of odd numbers forms some sort of defining tradition in hoodoo: This is not true.

The number 4 is used in hoodoo among many practitioners, especially those who are of Native American descent.

See HOODOO LUCK-BALLS (JACK-BALLS) by Mary Alicia Owen, 1893
http://www.southern-spirits.com/owen-ho ... balls.html

The use of 4 candles around a central object is often used to define a Christian cross or a crossroads on an altar. See the photo of 4 candles around the spirit trap by ConjureMan Ali above, and the photo of the circle divided into a cross by Deacon Millett above -- and also see this picture from the AIRR web site:
http://readersandrootworkers.org/wiki/Ancestors:

In this photo, which features the work of Prof. Charles Porterfield, we see that he had laid out graveyard dirt from the graves of four different ancestors, all of whom were buried in one family graveyard. The dirt was then scribed in the form of a crossroads. The four candles defined the territories or graves of each of the four ancestors, and each area contained individual offerings: a cup of tea, a bowl of chocolate squares, a mini-bottle of whiskey, and coins. A fifth candle -- not part of the 4-candle ancestor array -- marked the way forward or the outcome of the work.

Thanks to the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers for permission to use this picture for educational purposes. If you wish to engage the services of a professional rootworker, you should look up these and other members of AIRR at their own group web site:

catherine yronwode
catherineyronwode
Site Admin

• Advertisement
Lucky Mojo Curio Company Catallogue

Return to Sachet Powders in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells