Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

General Herb and Root Magic Questions and Answers

How to use Lucky Mojo herbal, mineral, and zoological curios, plus human personal concerns, in magic spells and conjure craft.
queenofspain
HRCC Student

Re: General Herb and Root Magic Questions and Answers

Unread post by queenofspain » Sun Jul 08, 2018 6:40 pm

Thanks so much, Ernie!
There is always room for everyone at the top.

peterwilliams623
HRCC Student

Unread post by peterwilliams623 » Mon Jul 09, 2018 9:16 am

Hi everyone, Blessings to all.

I have a question that I can't find the answer to I have searched in "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic" and also online. Online, I find conflicting answers.

While taking my dog outside this morning I had found a blue jay feather and was wondering what is it's Hoodoo properties and what is it generally used for. I have heard it said that the blue jay is a trickster and steals items that it finds interesting, I have also heard that it is strong in protection, also heard that it is the "blue bird of happiness" .

I have absoultly no idea how this curio should be used, can anyone point me in the right direction?

thanks.
Peter
Thank you St. Jude for prayers answered

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Mon Jul 09, 2018 11:12 am

peterwilliams623

The Blue Jay was long regarded by Native Americans as a tricker, thief, and clever bird, highly protective of its territory. One early mention of its use in hoodoo comes to us from the folkloric collections of Mary Alicia Owen, a White woman who recounted the beliefs and practices of her family's former slaves in Missouri, who were of mixed African and Native decent.

See "Aunt Mymee's Tricker Bag for Disgrace or Death" in "The Art of Making Mojos," page 52.

In Black culture, the Jay is known for its loud shrieks and the Hawk is known for its bravery -- and in witness to this, we can see the name taken by the R'n'B singer Screamin' Jay Hawkins as a token. His classic song, "I Put a Spell On You" relates the Jay to hoodoo, firmly, decisively, and LOUDLY.

This will clarify matters: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7kGPhpvqtOc

I am fairly sure that whoever called the tricky, screaming Jay "the blue bird of happiness" had confused the Jay with the Eastern Bluebird, a darling ball of fluff who nests quietly at the outskirts of farmland.
catherine yronwode
teacher - author - LMCCo owner - HP and AIRR member - MISC pastor - forum admin

peterwilliams623
HRCC Student

Unread post by peterwilliams623 » Wed Jul 18, 2018 8:58 am

Thank you Cat for responding to my inquiry to the Blue Jay feather, I'm sorry it took so long for me to respond.
Peter.
Thank you St. Jude for prayers answered

HidingInSight

Unread post by HidingInSight » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Ok,

I blended into a fine powder for topping candles your Besamim money mixture, Fenugreek, a whole nutmeg, cinnamon chips, blue flag root, alfalfa, sassafras, Irish moss, lodestone gravel, magnetic sand, pyrite gravel, and High John bits and pieces. My goal is to make the best all around money drawing, growing, keeping and winning in any form, more of it.

I am super excited to say that the brown resulting powder is beautifully charged with magnetism to the point that wherever I hold a weak refrigerator magnet to the mason jar, i feel it being pulled.

My question is, are there any other herbs, roots, animal curious that I could add to make it as powerful as possible? This blend is made to go on the candles I make for money winning, drawing, getting, etc.

THANK YOU!!

HidingInSight

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Aug 14, 2018 12:50 pm

HidingInSight --

That sounds like a great mix. Since our Money Herbs Mix (Besamim Spices) contains several herbs not listed here, you do not need to add them.
catherine yronwode

HidingInSight

Unread post by HidingInSight » Tue Aug 14, 2018 1:45 pm

Sigh, this makes me feel so great to know I've made a solid one.

I just now added a whole lodestone and pyrite chunk (both from LM as are all the ingredients)

After a lot of sparks and banging around for a minute, my Vitamix created a beautiful powder which I added to the mix in the mason jar. Now, it definitely has a stronger magnetism AND it has a beautiful gold glisten to it. What a perfect and beautiful product I have made with your products.

THANK YOU! <3

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Wed Aug 15, 2018 8:03 am

Hello HidingInSight,

It sounds wonderful! Thank you for sharing your experience :)
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

Madame Jupitero

Unread post by Madame Jupitero » Wed Sep 19, 2018 9:58 am

Hello everyone!

I am a very avid gardener, and this year finally installed some raised beds with the goal of starting an herb garden focused on magic. I am also looking into installing lights in my apartment and growing herbs during the winter for personal and magical use. I live in the northeast.

For those of you who use herbs and grow your own, I would like to hear about which plants you have found to be particularly useful and rewarding to grow. Also, is there a way to prepare a garden magically to make it an extra wonderful place for making things grow?

What do you do in your gardens and what do you recommend?

Many thanks!

terra_rising
HRCC Student

Unread post by terra_rising » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:47 pm

Madame Mercury,

Hello fellow green thumb! I'll start off with, if you have not bought the book "Hoodoo Herb and Root Magic," it's practically a must for working a magic garden.

I began with typical kitchen herbs like rosemary, thyme, mint(might want to pot), bay laurel (grows very, very slow) and catnip. Then moved on to roses and would like to see if peonies can grow in pots. You could probably grow nettle and comfrey easily in the beds. Maybe Basil under the lights. You won't be able to grow everything you need but that is why communities like these are so important. I'm not even sure what zone John the Conqueror will grow in... or Master Root for that matter. Still researching that one.

Madame Jupitero

Unread post by Madame Jupitero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 7:00 am

I have that book! Another fantastic book I use is Paul Beyerl's Compendium of Herbal Magick-- it's a treasure.

Alas, I think peonies need to be in the ground. I have 15 of them though if you ever would like a bare root! I have four English roses, but they are so veeeeery delicate-- next year I want to see what I can do to encourage more blossoms. I need to learn the art of pruning.

What zone are you in? I have a bay laurel, lemon verbena, and rosemary in pots and adore them-- but I dread bringing them inside this winter. They will die. My apartment does not have the best light.

I was thinking about nettle for next year! Comfrey sounds like a great idea. Thanks!

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:45 am

Hello, my green thumb friends --

Thanks for endorsing my book, and if you want some further ideas, next time you order from the shop, be sure to ask for "the three green flyers on herbs." These are extra go-alongs that i distribute to folks who purchase herbs from us. their actual titles are""

Wildcrafting Herbs Around the Old Homestead by catherine yronwode
How to Store Magical Herbs, Roots, and Curios by Prof. Porterfield
Teas and Tisanes as Magical Potions by Madame Pamita

Another book i have co-written and which deals with herbalogy, specifically herbal medicine, is "This Amazing Book" by Sunrae and cat yronwode.
catherine yronwode

Madame Jupitero

Unread post by Madame Jupitero » Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:08 pm

Hi Cat! Loved the last podcast! Madame Pamita is amazing!

I was just about to order some herbs for dream pillows, and I will be sure to ask for these! Thanks for mentioning the other book-- I am always looking for more resources!

terra_rising
HRCC Student

Unread post by terra_rising » Thu Sep 20, 2018 4:27 pm

I'm living in California near the Bay Area so 9b I think. I'm originally from Upper MI though and spent some time in Germany. No matter where I go, I try to have at least a little garden. I hear you about the peonies... I wish they liked pots. I think Cali is just too dry and hot for them. It makes me sad because they really are my favorite. Nettle is great in a tea! Very good for vitamins and taking off jinxes! Double duty. I bet you could grow Southern John (trillium) and Solomon's Seal if you have good soil and a little shade. Both look so beautiful too.

Pruning is scary at first. You hear so many horror stories about bad cuts leading to rot and poor growth. I pruned my fruit trees in WA after looking at the agriculture guides published by state universities and it really helped open up the plants for air flow. Cut down on bugs too.

I will defiantly request the flyers and add the book on my next order. I'm especially excited about the flyer on Wildcrafting! Thank you for the suggestions.

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Thu Sep 20, 2018 8:03 pm

Hi, all --
Yes, peonies do like cold winters, which we do not have in Northern California.

But, speaking of Northern California -- there's another book i wrote which may interest you -- "The California Gardener's Book of Lists." It came out in the 1990s -- but we have some copies still in stock in the Lucky Mojo shop -- it lists herbs, flowers, trees, bulbs, and vegetables by California micro-zones and by preferred light and water conditions. Here you go:

BOO-BOT-CGBL
The California Gardener's Book of Lists by Catherine Yronwode
$17.95

You can order right here in the Forum by clicking on the blue Add To Cart button.
catherine yronwode

Sister Joyce
HRCC Student

Unread post by Sister Joyce » Sat Oct 13, 2018 12:54 pm

My question is 3 fold:

1) Recently, I was given a red chicken foot and a black cat bone by someone whom I had working for me. I was told to hang the chicken foot near a door and to wear the black cat bone on my person. The thing is that I want to wear the black cat bone around my neck but there is no way to do so. You see the bone is so very thin and very small that I am afraid if I try to drill a hole in it that it may be damaged. There is also the worry that drilling a hole in the bone may cause not only destruction of the bone but may somehow stop the bone from doing what it is intended to do. Does anyone have any idea how I could wear this bone on my person I mean the only other thoughts I have is to place it in my bra. My fear is that it my get lost during the many examinations, procedures and test I have to go thru doing my many doctor's and hospital visits.

2) I would very much like to obtain another cat bone however, I would like for it to be one that would make me invisible. Does anyone have any idea where I would obtain such a bone?

3) I would like to have a very good and very strong African American reader/conjure/hoo doo person who lives in New Orleans to do some work for me. Does anyone know of a person that fits this description?

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:27 pm

Hello, Sister Joyce, and welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forum

Quick replies:

1) Put in a little leather bag.

2) Read more here: http://luckymojo.com/blackcat.html We do not endorse animal abuse, but you are free to read about it.

3) Sorry, i don't know of anyone there that meets your requirements. I can, however, recommend readers from AIRR -- the Association of Independent Readers and Rootworkers: http://readersandrootworkers.com

Good luck.
catherine yronwode

AphroditeMarie
Newly Registered

Unread post by AphroditeMarie » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:47 pm

Greetings!

I have a long history of many types of Magic but when I became more interested in Hoodoo on a trip to New Orleans it really spoke to me. I love plants and plant medicine but beginning to work with roots is very powerful to me! They are like darling little pets (i see faces in them and they have different personalities). I enjoy feeding them and spending time with their energies.

I have not yet fixed them as Im waiting for the proper time and purpose and I am not 100% how to do this properly. If not given a home in a mojo, how would one best take care of each root?

I understand about feeding with whisky and anointing with oil but would you keep them tucked away in special place? a box? a bag of its own? or is it better left out on an altar?

Some of my other teachings suggest keeping sacred items out of everyday hubbub... do any of you keep a "tool box"?...this is what I was thinking as I seem to have naturally started one unconciously on my own... but id like to stay true to Hoodoo tradition out of respect for these amazing roots - (all purchased at Lucky Mojo! amazing products and service!!! )

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Oct 16, 2018 4:53 pm

Hello, AphroditeMarie --

Welcome to the forum and thanks for your kind words about our products and service.

The topic of how to store roots and herbs that are not in current use (e.g. in a mojo bag or dressing a candle) is one that has been discussed before in this very thread. Start on page 1 and read the thread and you will see mention of it in the past.

I don't want to repeat what i wrote then, so i will just offer the thread to any newer members who also want to talk about herb storage. If there are enough posts on it, i may split it out into its own thread.

We also have a free flyer on Herb Storage available from the shop when you order herbs. Just askk for it by name in the message area of your order.
catherine yronwode

Hostingky
Newly Registered

Unread post by Hostingky » Tue Nov 06, 2018 11:59 pm

Your knowledge is amazing. I like to read the comments of everyone.

LeftHandedVirginian

Unread post by LeftHandedVirginian » Mon Nov 19, 2018 5:28 pm

Hey, y'all!

I have a Rose of Jericho that I water every now and then. The water I soak it in smells really good. What sort of spells and rituals might it be good for? I've mixed it into a floor wash before and enjoyed the effects. It made things feel fresh and renewed. Any thoughts?

Thanks, y'all!

Lefty

JayDee
HRCC Student

Unread post by JayDee » Mon Nov 19, 2018 6:10 pm

LeftHandedVirginian,

The plant is often used to bring things back to life, to spout, bring anew again, because it can be a dead heap, get water and restore it self, I would use it in spells relating to that. I know business owners who use them in the shop water them for profit and customers.
Formerly known as J82; New updated name!

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Herb, Mineral, and Animal Curios in Hoodoo and Rootwork”