Welcome to the Lucky Mojo Forums!

Candles: Snuff Relight Runs Timed & Continual Burns Splints

How to use Lucky Mojo vigil lights, novena candles, figural candles, and offertory candles, and how to fix lucky oil lamps.
luckykat
Forum Member
Re: Candles: Snuff Relight Runs Timed & Continual Burns Splints

Unread post by luckykat » Fri May 23, 2014 9:38 am

Hi! I've read through different discussions on this, and different reasons for both, but I'm not clear on which is considered stronger or preferred.

Is there a clear line of thinking on this? Does it depend on the spell itself? I know a several day spell, it might be preferable for most to burn in sections safety-wise (and some spells I've seen on Lucky Mojo...i.e. the love candle work that uses pink, red & white candles...specify certain burn times).

I'm curious to hear on this from more experienced workers as to whether there is a preferred way to go here. I often use tealights if I'm going to be working something for multiple days, but will use larger candles and let them burn out whenever it's possible (and safe).

Thank you!!

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon May 26, 2014 8:10 pm

Hello, luckykat,
If a spell is being worked on for several days, you can wither burn the candles in sections or buy extra candles and burn them to completion every day.
This would be your choice.
And different people have their preferred choice.
But, on the last day of the spell, you would (obviously) burn it to completion.
We allow vigil candles to remain lit (it would cause a mess it we put it out everyday).
I'm merging your post to the subforum dealing with candles.
Take care

rose21
Newly Registered

Unread post by rose21 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:20 am

I am burning a nine day protection candle ..I would normally
Burn it for one hour each day but I was not able to burn it on the weekend
Becouse i had company now can i continue by relighting it
Two days later or do i need to restart it over .......

Thank you for your responce in advance .

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:57 pm

Helllo, rose21,

If this were me, I would restart it, as you have stopped the momentum of the energy of the spell.

Now, this is just the way that I practice. Other rootworkers ay practice differently.

Wishing you the best with this

neophyte79
Forum Member

Unread post by neophyte79 » Sun Oct 11, 2015 9:08 am

Hello,
In the book "The Magic Candle" by Charmaine Dey there's a chapter on planning your spells according to planetary hours and the moon.

Is this required in the hoodoo tradition? Are spells more effective when done according to time of day and phases of the moon?

Thank you very much for any and all help in advance.

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Mon Oct 12, 2015 5:20 am

Hello, neophyte79 ,

That is completely up to you.

Some rootworkers do, others don't.

I personally work with moon phases but not planetary hours.

Other rootworkers work with neither.

Your choice!

Take care

neophyte79
Forum Member

Unread post by neophyte79 » Fri Oct 16, 2015 4:19 pm

Hello Miss Aida,
Thank you very much for answering my question it's greatly appreciated. I have one more question though. When you say moon phases are you referring to only waxing and waning or when the moon is in a position of a certain astrological sign as well?

Thank you again.

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Fri Oct 16, 2015 7:10 pm

Hi neophyte79,

Moon phases are waxing/waning as well as full moon and new moon.

Planetary hours refers to when the moon is in a certain astrological sign, or has gone void of course.

Hope this helps.

Good luck.
HRCC #1909G

snouvavou
Forum Member

Unread post by snouvavou » Thu Oct 29, 2015 1:20 pm

I have been working a vigil light for a couple of weeks now(I am a firm believer in the relight method as long as a prayer is stated each time) but I need to go out of town for two nights.
I really thought it would be done by now but there have been a few days where I could only light it for an hour.I am planning on burning it all the way down,regardless of the time it takes.
Does not lighting it for a day blow the spell? Or should I take then candle with me? I have been burning it quasi-secretly as "just a scented candle(it has no label)"...but if I take it with me I think that may be a sign of its' significance.Any suggestions?
St.Michael with me,every step of the way.

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Thu Oct 29, 2015 8:38 pm

Hi snouvavou,

If you can take it with you, that may be the best course of action. Could you not just say it's an aromatherapy candle, to allay any suspicion from others who might wonder why you brought it with you?

Good luck.
HRCC #1909G

catsandtea19
Forum Member

Unread post by catsandtea19 » Wed Jul 06, 2016 7:09 am

Unfortunately I fell asleep earlier than usual and someone blew out my archangel gabriel candle :/ Would there be anyway to continue with the candle? and if not I know I would have to rework the spell. how would I do that? buy a totally different candle?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Wed Jul 06, 2016 9:52 pm

Hello, catsandtea19,

It's not good to blow out candles.

It's not good to let other people see your spells.

Unfortunately, you will have to start again (with an explanation that you didn't know and that you are truly sorry)

Wishing you the best

take care

julhoney
Newly Registered

Unread post by julhoney » Tue Aug 02, 2016 5:51 am

hi, the other night my dad blew out my honey jar candle not knowing it was a spell but told me off for leaving a candle lit while sleeping, i then relit the candle and let it burn out. then tonight i thought i heard my dad coming into my room and i thought he'd get angry at me for having a candle so i blew it out then relit it. will it still work or should i start all over again?

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Aug 02, 2016 7:39 pm

Hello, julhoney,

Welcome to the forum!!

First of all, you NEVER blow out a candle. NEVER. You snuff it out. That act alone will ruin the spell.

Your Father seeing your spell ruined the spell.

Your Father blowing out the candle ruined the spell.

You re-lit the candle. At this point, it has no magical significance because the spell was already ruined by your Father. BUT, even if he was not involved, you would have ruined the spell by blowing out the candle.

Start everything all over again.

I am so very sorry

Take care

Candlelight
Newly Registered

Unread post by Candlelight » Thu Dec 01, 2016 8:28 am

I have a question, my candles were blown out by my husband by accident without any negative intent. Can I relight them? Smudge, new wick anything to make them continue to work? It took forever to prepare them properly and just throwing them away breaks my little heart.

natstein
Forum Moderator

Unread post by natstein » Thu Dec 01, 2016 4:35 pm

Hello Candlelight,

I am so sorry this happened. If this were me I would say a prayer over the candles asking for forgiveness for them still to work for me on whatever the situation is while I relighting them. Then let them burn and see watch for signs in your life that they are working. If after the candles have burning out and you have had no positive signs or movement on the matter for a while then I would get some new candles and try again. If you are proficient with a form of divination than you could also check that after relighting the candles to see if they will still be effective. You could also hire a reader to check this for you at (www.readersandrootworkers.com). Many readers have a very affordable yes or no question reading.

Peace~

Nathen

starsirius
Forum Member

Unread post by starsirius » Sun Jan 29, 2017 9:00 am

May I please have thoughts on helping a candle come through a situation when the flame is making a well through the middle and unmelted wax around the outside is threatening to flood or suffocate the flame. I think its because the wax on the outside close to the glass is cold and not heating up. I've tried insulating the candle with foil to keep the heat in and that seems to work a little. What I would really like to do is remove some of the cold wax thats making the wall around the flame so that it doesn't fall on my flame and out my candle altogether. Why is that wax wall there in first place? what may be meaning of that? besides the wax being cold, maybe. Any helpful insights?
Thanks y'all.
DS

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Sun Jan 29, 2017 10:44 pm

Hello, starsirius ,

Depending on where you bought tis candle. it could be the quality of the candle, the temperature of the room, or signs.

You describe a glass candle, but this can also happen with a figural candle in a cold room

I doctor my candles by using a mini torch (you can buy then at any tobacco store) to assist them. but I would not use aluminum foil

Wishing you the best

take care

Shutter
Forum Member

Unread post by Shutter » Sun Mar 12, 2017 10:49 pm

I'm in a situation (it doesn't matter to explain it) in which the spell is no longer of use and I want to end it early. Miss Cat said on a post on the first page that the way to finally end a spell is to turn it upside down and drench it with water. If I were to do this, would it be disrespectful? I feel like leaving it undone after a snuff but never finishing it is moreso disrespectful. But I could be wrong. Help? (It's a LM glass encased novena)
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession upon my behalf
To all else listen to the mods!

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Mon Mar 13, 2017 8:59 am

Hello Shutter,

It looks like you're replying to this post by Miss Cat:

"With respect to altar lights, offertory candles, and jumbos, i was taught to spit on my finger and thumb and to pinch the flame out, while holding in mind my prayer, petition, or intent. The spellwork is then considered to be "on hold," as it were, and the candle can be relit.

I was likewise taught that to blow a candle out is more final, signifying that you are done with the work.

The most final way to end a candle spell, i was taught, is to turn the candle upside down and quench it in water or snuff it in Graveyard dirt before it naturally goes out. This is done especially when the candle is a small altar light or offertory candle that has been named and "baptized" to represent a person."

As you can see, Miss Cat didn't say that turning a candle upside down and sticking it in water or graveyard dirt is the only way to end a spell early. You can also just blow out the candle, which signifies that the work is done, as opposed to just snuffing it out with your fingers or a brass candle snuffer. So, since you're using a Lucky Mojo novena candle, to signify the work is done, just blow it out. If you're worried about it being "disrespectful," one thing you could do is say out loud before you blow out the candle why you're doing so, and say that the work is done.

Hope that helps!
Thank you saints and spirits!
Proud member of AIRR and Hoodoo Psychics!
readersandrootworkers.org

Shutter
Forum Member

Unread post by Shutter » Mon Mar 13, 2017 9:08 pm

Thank you SO much!
To all the saints and angels thanks for intercession upon my behalf
To all else listen to the mods!

Honeybeelight
HRCC Student

Unread post by Honeybeelight » Mon Oct 30, 2017 5:34 pm

Quick question: I was doing a Cut and Clear spell (the one on the web site). Everything was going great, but I had to leave for a doctor's appointment, and you're supposed to leave the white candle--the one for new love-- burning to the end. I carefully extinguished it--and then I blew on it. I have no idea why I did that, except that I didn't want to leave anything accidentally burning.

I hope I don't have to do the whole Cut and Clear again. I am DONE with this person. Starting from the beginning would be a reminder of everything he did that made me upset or pissed me off. It would be like digging up a corpse to have another funeral.

What I did was to back up the spell to the point where you work with the white candle. I re-dressed it, prayed over it again, recited the 23rd psalm, unfolded the paper with all the good qualities I want, re-read them, and went from there. It's now burning properly again.

Is that enough? Do I have to do the whole Cut and Clear starting from scratch? Last time I did it, I got the Cut and I got the Clear, but I didn't get the new love I hoped for. Can I burn another white figural candle and re-do the good part? Because I really want that new love thing. As far as I'm concerned, I earned it.
Thank you, St. Michael, for your protection.

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:12 am

Hi Honeybeelight,

You do want that white candle to complete its burn entirely, so snuffing it out was not a good idea. I know you had to leave for an appointment, but next time consider putting it in a container of sand (or something equally non-flammable) and putting it in your bathtub. That is what I do when I need to keep a candle lit for an extended period of time.

The way you re-visited your candle sounds good, so continue the burn and see what kind of results you get. It may have been alright, but it's impossible for us to tell on the forum. If you feel it has not worked for you, then you will need to re-do the spell from the start.

I hope this helps. Good luck.
HRCC #1909G

Honeybeelight
HRCC Student

Unread post by Honeybeelight » Tue Oct 31, 2017 6:37 am

Thank you, Miss Athena! The online Cut and Clear has a very specific altar, which would mean the altar would have to be broken up or the whole spell would have to be done from the start. I was in a bit of a hurry, because today is my birthday and I wanted to start it all fresh and clean. That worked, at least partly, so i’m really happy about that. I feel much better and I can go ahead and enjoy myself today!

On the other hand, I just got a text from a dead guy, and there were some signs of resistance on that side, too, which were very irritating: ash and smeary stuff on the floor. And I just got a birthday text from a dead guy. So although I feel the right way about this (“meh”), I’m going to order some more figural candles and be prepared to redo everything from scratch. i’m Not especially eager to—candles and incense indoors make me cough, and I burn things outside if I can—but I will just plan better and devote the day to nothing but that if I have to re-do it. Thanks for your answer :)

Miss Athena
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Miss Athena » Tue Oct 31, 2017 12:30 pm

Hi Honeybeelight,

First of all, happy birthday! I hope you're having a wonderful day!

As I mentioned above, you may want to wait to see what kind of results you get before re-doing the spell. But if you do have to repeat it, do make sure you are completely focused on that spell and are not distracted by appointments or other outside interference.

Sometimes we consider it spiritual interference if we lose our focus or if something detracts us from completing the work as instructed. It may be a sign that one is not fully invested in the outcome or that other factors are at play. Something to think about.

Do please keep us posted and I wish you the best of luck with it.
HRCC #1909G

Miss Aida
HRCC Graduate

Unread post by Miss Aida » Tue Oct 31, 2017 8:26 pm

Hello, Honeybeelight ,

What does this mean that you got a text from a dead guy?

Is he dead to you or do you literally mean that he's dead?

Honeybeelight
HRCC Student

Unread post by Honeybeelight » Wed Nov 08, 2017 9:46 am

Whoops, Miss Aida: I literally just saw this! I meant he was dead to me. I'm trying not to say his name out loud even inside my head. At the same time, he started to want to chit chat about my birthday exactly as though he hadn't ghosted me. I haven't got a clue what that's about: delayed reaction to the honey jar I gave up on, the famous Cut and Clear effect (they pop back in the second they feel you're gone), or something else. I do know that I didn't quite perform the spell correctly, so I ordered new supplies in case I have to do it again. And I know I need to be much more careful with my candle work in future.

MissMichaele
Forum Moderator

Unread post by MissMichaele » Fri Nov 10, 2017 7:52 pm

Honeybeelight, I agree with Miss Athena. I once had to do a Cut and Clear spell three times over a period of several weeks, before my heart was calm enough to let go.

Fortunately the Cut and Clear spell kit goes a long way -- all I needed to repeat the spell was some extra candles.

Good luck,

Miss Michaele
Forum Moderator - Member of AIRR

HappinessRules
Forum Member

Unread post by HappinessRules » Tue Jun 05, 2018 2:02 am

If your talking over a candle saying your petition and the air from your mouth accidently blew it out after you said an entire psalm what does that mean? and do i need to redo it all over again?

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:37 am

Hello HappinessRules,

I think it means you just had your mouth too close to the candle ;)

I would just relight it and recite your Psalm again. If this happened when you burning a candle over a series of days, I would check in with divination to see if the work was affected, then act accordingly.

Good luck.

sunkissed529
Newly Registered

Unread post by sunkissed529 » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Hi everyone,

I've been following the forum for a while now, but haven't ever posted before.

I'm currently doing a love working with 7 day glass candles, but I have roommates and I also am a university student, so there is no way I can let the candle continuously burn for 7 days straight. Is it alright if I just snuff the candles with a snuffer as long as I don't blow them out?

Or perhaps, is there anyway that I can make the love working more effective given my circumstances? I usually will thank the spirit that I am working with and snuff it out with no intention of ending the spell, so I'm hoping that means that the working isn't ended each time, but I just don't know!

Please help! I really can't burn these candles continuously for 7 days because of my living situation and can only for a span of a few hours each day, even though I want to.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!

Aimie Ye

catherineyronwode
Site Admin

Unread post by catherineyronwode » Tue Jun 12, 2018 5:50 pm

Aimie Ye --

My advice to you is to think outside the box. Instead of struggling with multi-day glass-encased vigil lights, burn small candles that will finish naturally in one or two hours -- birthday candles, yea lights, 4" altar lights are all quite suitable to your purposes -- and just light one per day. Easy, convenient, and absolutely traditional!
catherine yronwode

CuriousIndigo
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousIndigo » Mon Oct 08, 2018 11:54 pm

Hello,

Question on Vigil candles. I know they’re supposed to be lit continuously until they burned completely on they’re own. Supposed I’m not comfortable in leaving them lit unattended, I plan to snuff them out with a candle snuffer. So when I want to burn them in sections, is there a certain appropriate number of inches or hours I should have them burn everyday?

Sister Jean
Site Admin

Unread post by Sister Jean » Tue Oct 09, 2018 9:58 am

Hello CuriousIndigo,

That's really up to you, but I'd personally give it at least 10 minutes, just so it can get established and get going before it's snuffed out again.

CuriousIndigo
Forum Member

Unread post by CuriousIndigo » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:46 pm

Thank you. I’m able to lit it for few hours everyday comfortably. I guess I read something about how some would mark the glass with a marker for some reason. That made me wonder if there’s certain “rule” to light Vigil in sections.

aniviel
Forum Member

Unread post by aniviel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:12 pm

Hello,

I have a vigil currently going (not long to go now. Probably a day), and I've been leaving it lit in my shower, praying over it daily. Earlier I placed my mojo hand over the vigil's smoke, and the hand accidentally covered too much of the top of the vigil candle, therefore cutting out oxygen and the candle ran out. I tried to relight it with matches but there was too much liquid wax so I let the liquids out then relit it.
I still feel good about it and actually got an important email I was looking forward to straight after (I must say the mojo hand has been amazing for me lately!), but I wonder if I acted accordingly and/or if I should light another?

Edward T
Forum Moderator

Unread post by Edward T » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:40 pm

Aniviel
Looks like things are working just fine.
You should be ok with the one you have.
Best of luck to you. Edward T
HRCC Graduate #1985 -- Forum Moderator

aniviel
Forum Member

Unread post by aniviel » Mon Oct 15, 2018 2:49 pm

Thank you very much Edward T!

Call Hoodoo Psychics 1-888-4-HOODOO

Return to “Ritual Candles and Lamps in Hoodoo, Rootwork, and Conjure Spells”